[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Kenku >"Roleplaying a Kenku" boxout >"Don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

File: 1477514706940.png (109KB, 262x202px) Image search: [Google]
1477514706940.png
109KB, 262x202px
>Kenku
>"Roleplaying a Kenku" boxout
>"Don't be an irritating cunt."

Thank you, whoever did that.
>>
>>50594753
It's kind of weird to try to roleplay a character magically incapable of creativity or original thought. How would you even do that?
>>
>>50594976
Adapting old ideas. There are virtually infinite ideas to choose from.
>>
>>50594976
It comes naturally to me, since I'm also incapable of creativity or original thought. I just parrot what I read on 4chan.
>>
>>50594983
This. I imagine a kenku who is doing something like adventuring would carry a library with them and listen to every story ever told about someone overcoming obstacles, whether it's how Odysseus sailed home or how Farmer MacGregor got that stump out of his field, gathering as many baseline strategies as possible.
>>
>>50595093
>>50594983
But putting old things in a new context is basically what creativity is. There's got to be some kind of fuzzy boundary between the kind of rote repetition kenku can do and the kind of repetition that constitutes creativity.
>>
>Kenku

So, Karasu Tengu with a lick of Wizards Of The Coast proprietary magic, and all the Japanese folk mysticism sucked out?

Why bother?
>>
File: Curie.jpg (183KB, 864x820px) Image search: [Google]
Curie.jpg
183KB, 864x820px
>>50595270
Then we're getting into the whole thinking computers argument. Did Deep Blue create it's own strategies when Kasparov used the Meises Opening specifically to fuck with it's playbook, or was it just able to adapt existing patterns to secure victory?
>>
>>50595337
What's Kasparov doing when he comes up with a strategy? Taking what he already knows about chess and applying it to the context of a particular game. There's some kind of similarity to what the two of them are doing, though the mechanics behind them are entirely different.

I'd rule that a kenku would be shittier than the worst computer at chess because no matter how many openings he learned he could never memorize the exact midgame he needed, nor could he tweak one he'd already seen to be appropriate in this new context.
>>
>>50595384
You're assigning more independent thought to a literal program than to a living brain, which is an interesting choice. Kenku are still living beings that are born and grow; it cannot simply be that they only regurgitate, they must have some capacity to learn broad patterns and adapt them to their own life. If nothing else, it flies in the face of the fact that kenku society is one of being independent flocks of thieves, forgers, and similar disreputable sorts, and any criminal who does the same thing over and over without the ability to adapt will fail and quickly.
>>
>>50594976
All you need is like, twenty phrases you just repeat all the time.

Use video game NPCs for inspiration.

"DON'T BOTHER ME."
"PANCAKE TIME! STALAGMITE!"
>>
File: kenku1.jpg (38KB, 320x286px) Image search: [Google]
kenku1.jpg
38KB, 320x286px
>>50595293
>with a lick of Wizards Of The Coast proprietary magic
It's a holdover from the TSR days, actually. And funnily enough, it's gotten a little more accurate over time rather than less--at least the 'crow-tengu' now looks crowlike instead of like an eagle man.
>>
>>50596138
Welcome to shitty world building.
>>
>>50595293
You're telling me that D&D took something from mythology and adapted it for its own purposes? Heresy! This is terrible and definitely not something D&D has been doing for its entire history.

Japanese folk mysticism is pretty boring; it's all "This monster looks like an animal except when it doesn't, and it likes you but it also kills you."
>>
File: 545.png (169KB, 545x370px) Image search: [Google]
545.png
169KB, 545x370px
>>50594753
What about roleplaying ribbon?
>>
>>50594976
I said with a posed look.
>>
File: Yotsugi_profile.jpg (127KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Yotsugi_profile.jpg
127KB, 960x540px
>>50601599
I guess she's sort of a good example
>>
>>50604354
I still don't know if bakemonogatari is brilliant or retarded.
>>
>>50605394
Whenever I watch it I always feel like the show is subtly but personally insulting me. It's still enjoyable, though.
>>
>>50605394
Peace peace

yay
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.