[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are Tau considered "anime"? I love the design but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 150
Thread images: 24

File: Portada-WD.jpg (256KB, 1231x681px) Image search: [Google]
Portada-WD.jpg
256KB, 1231x681px
Why are Tau considered "anime"? I love the design but the fact that I would be associated with weeaboos and animu absolutely disgusts me and halts my investment into the race.
>>
>>50589812
>Why are Tau considered "anime"?

Because the designers said they're based on Chinese cartoons about robots.
>>
>>50589812
because of the mecha suits that were clearly based on gundam
>>
>>50589812

1.Giant. Fucking. Robots.

2.The fact that in old art they had chinaman hats.

3.....honestly i don't think there is a three

Truth be told it's just salty faggots complaining about how they don't think they fit the setting. Also salty faggots complaining because at various times in history they have had some really cheesy stuff. Like right now with the riptide wing actually. Or so they say. Personally i've never played against a riptide wing, so i don't really know.
>>
>>50589812
how the hell could you not see they're inspired by anime? Their infantry armor is like a weird xenos version of samurai armor and their robots are like every cliche anime weaboo fightan robot combined into one.

Which is a shame, because I really like their skimmers, aircraft, and infantry. They have some cool designs but you never see them because everyone just spams suits.
>>
almost everything about their design finds it's origins in eastern culture. calling them "anime" is like calling space marines "superhero comics".

>>50589831
that's a bit reductionist, but yeah, gundams are well known japanese mechs.
>>
>>50589856
4. No noses.
>>
>>50589856
If riptides were just a little bit more expensive it would be fine. They are just too efficient in their current form. Maybe limiting them 1 to one per army would be ok too
>>
File: 1326173123193.gif (141KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
1326173123193.gif
141KB, 300x168px
>>50589881
>MFW

How have I never noticed this before
>>
File: tradefederation1.jpg (13KB, 450x290px) Image search: [Google]
tradefederation1.jpg
13KB, 450x290px
>>50589946
it's very similar to the trade federation in star wars

(who were also based on asian people...but in a more offensive way)
>>
>>50589831
They aren't very Gundam-y, though. More Votoms. Multiple lenses, kind of bulbous at times, etc.

Although, Crisis Suits fucking fly, and AT's don't. The standard soldier in Votoms has a fucking assault rifle, and not even necessarily a flak jacket, much less plate carrier, compared to Tau, who have fancy fully enclosing armor.

Course, AT's would probably get the option to Jink, and turboboost, because of the skating thing.
>>
>>50589812
>I would be associated with weeaboos and animu absolutely disgusts me and halts my investment into the race.
Why the fuck should you care ? Try behaving like a normal person instead of a living meme, and it will allow you to spot and avoid whatever retards judge you on your army instead of yourself.
Thought, you are more likely to be branded as a cheesemonger than a weaboo, but eh. You can live with that, I haven't stopped playing eldar just because of the 6ed codex.
>>
File: Clearly Tau.jpg (81KB, 890x672px) Image search: [Google]
Clearly Tau.jpg
81KB, 890x672px
>>50589812
Psh, it's like you don't watch anime. See this guy? a splitting image of your picture, OP. What a fucking faggot, can't see how his soldiers are indistinguishable from gundam characters.

Seriously, OP, there is no logic. People are just fucking retarded.
>>
>>50589961
How are the Neimoidians offensive? They just have exaggerated Japanese accents.
>>
>>50589856
I like them specifically because they are different, they add some contrast to the big baroque boxes everyone seems to use
>>
>>50590091
Everyone wants to be offended for someone else in this new era of political correctness.
>>
>>50590091
they are physically weak, cowardly, and profit obsessed. they embody a very negative stereotype of asian peoples.
>>
>>50590119
Should white people be offended by Paul Blart? Should characters with negative traits stop existing?
>>
>>50590093
this. fucking shit. we don't need any more flavors of space marine.

before they added tyranids, necrons, and tau it was just a big old fucking shoulder-pad orgy.
>>
>>50590119
If they were speaking Yiddish I'd agree with you, but those traits aren't stereotypically associated with the Japanese. If anything they are stereotypically portrayed as incredibly honourable.
>>
File: WattoHS.jpg (80KB, 664x872px) Image search: [Google]
WattoHS.jpg
80KB, 664x872px
>>50589961
Hey, at least they fared better than Jews.
>>
>>50590129
Everyone with a pulse in their veins and a brain in their head should be offended by Paul Blart.
>>
File: IMG_6474.jpg (130KB, 884x736px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6474.jpg
130KB, 884x736px
>>50590150
>>
>>50590129
>Should white people be offended by Paul Blart?
white people are 90% of characters in all movies and tv shows. white people get to choose which character to see as representative of their race.

>>50590150
YOU MAYBE ROLLA DA CHANCE CUBE??

more than anything george lucas is just very lacking in originality.
>>
>>50590222
White people are 90% of characters in media in countries where they are 90% of the population. Indian movies feature 90% indians, same goes for movies made in africa or japan or germany.

In fact, minorities are overepresented in american media when compared to how much of the population they actually compose.
>>
>>50590275
>60% white
>>
>mfw watching all these white people argue about what portrayal of Asians is offensive or not

Who the fuck are you honkeys kidding, you don't give a shit about Asians.
>>
>>50590275
>White people are 90% of characters in media in countries where they are 90% of the population.

It's weird though cause the places the movies are actually produced are where whites are barely a majority. Places like the West Coast and Hollywood have a ton of minorities, but maybe the big wigs are thinking about selling to America as a whole.
>>
>>50590275
you think white people are 90% of the population in the united states?
>>
>>50590053
>Try behaving like a normal person instead of a living meme

Real sad that most people have this mindset and aren't self-aware of it.
>>
>>50590334
Let him dream anon, let him dream.
>>
>>50590282
for every ten people in a move:
More than two are black.
More than two are hispanics
More than one is Asian
Maybe one is of actual white ancestry.
The rest are primarily Jews and Italians.

Modern movie casts are consistent with demographics, except for the lack of white people. (Jews and Italians are not "white people")
>>
>>50590356
>More than two are black.
>More than two are hispanics
>More than one is Asian

You counting background characters or what?
>>
>>50590356
>doesn't count jews and italians as being caucasian
oh i thought i was talking to an adult...nevermind
>>
>>50590356

I defy you to find me a movie that isn't about kung fu triad gangsters or some shit that has more than two asians in a speaking role AND three+ latinos AND 3+ blacks. It doesn't fucking exist. You're lucky to have a movie with even ONE asian dude with more than a token line, or a movie with more than one token black to die first, or multiple hispanics in a movie about whites.
>>
>>50590356
lawl go back to /pol/
>>
>>50590291
I wish they didn't try to pretend.
>>
>>50590143
they also make great foils to the hopeless dreariness of everyone
it is actually nice to see some people who see just how messed up the universe is, but not succumb to despair
they are the small, young, fast, efficient counterpart to the huge, old, sluggish, inefficient imperium
i also dont get why people call them too noblebright, there is no shortage of cartoonish supervillians, and half the joke is that they are unironically better than the imperium, when they would be the main villain in any other setting
>>
File: 2e3bbafa113f1f5b5be550cd619e7f63.jpg (491KB, 1126x1600px) Image search: [Google]
2e3bbafa113f1f5b5be550cd619e7f63.jpg
491KB, 1126x1600px
Literally this.
>>
>>50590389
Jews belong to the same group as western asians, arabs and north africans. Italians are moors.
>>
>>50590390
i'm not the guy you are responding to and i 100% agree with you but...the fast and the furious series is actually shockingly multi-ethnic for a big budget series and very low-key about it. the main character (paul walker) is/was the only real white guy in the series and he is by far the most boring character.

all of that is, of course, undercut by the simple fact that people don't seem to think of the rock or vin diesel as being ethnic.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (73KB, 1165x247px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
73KB, 1165x247px
>>50590467
Literally this.
>>
>>50590497

2 blacks spread over 3 people! Progress!
>>
>>50590484
>vin diesel
>ethnic

Nigga it's called white cause their skin is white

>rock
>not ethnic

Nigga he's in Moana.
>>
>>50590549
Vin Diesel is pretty based though.
>>
>>50590119
The fact that YOU associate asians with those features makes me question who is the one being offensive.

None of those are associated with Japan or East Asia except maybe physical weakness (and the actual stereotype is them being karate manlets, not weak).
>>
>>50590572
>pointing out offensive stereotypes makes you racist
look dude i'm not the first person to point this shit out. just google "racist stereotypes in star wars" and i'm sure you will find something that explains it all to you.

if you don't want to believe that racism exists you don't have to. i'm just calling it like i see it.
>>
>Tau aren't anime
>white people aren't white

This thread, man...
>>
File: Actual main cast.jpg (56KB, 778x247px) Image search: [Google]
Actual main cast.jpg
56KB, 778x247px
>>50590536
15% blacks, 15% hispanics, like 10% divided among everyone else.

Three blacks and a hispanic in a nine people cast. It's about as representative as it can get. And technically, two of those white guys are tertiary characters and a third a secondary.
>>
>>50590610
>crops out 3 white guys

Are you retarded?
>>
>>50590610

Candice Patton isn't even 100% black you moron.
>>
>>50590643

Keiynan is also half white. It's fucking obvious just from first glance.
>>
>>50590480
>Italians are moors

this aint /int/ bro
>>
>>50590643
nobody in the world is 100% black. the idea that any race is independent and pure of other races is a very small minded concept. humans have been fucking the shit out of each other for a really long time, in addition to being all descended from the same group of people, who themselves fucked the shit out of neaderthals. the obsession with racial purity and finding ways to simplistically divide all humans into categories is a fruitless pass time of stupid people.
>>
>>50589812
>caring about being judged
>judging weeaboos
>being a miniature fag
>>
>>50590623
Because two are tertiary characters and the third is a secondary character that appears for like ten minutes an episode on the latest season only. The crop is to place emphasis on the actual main cast that has remained consistent since the beginning.
>>
File: fucking tau.png (2MB, 1200x674px) Image search: [Google]
fucking tau.png
2MB, 1200x674px
>>50590608
The Tau are distinctly western in design, regardless of what elements they borrow from eastern culture. From the boxy 80's appearance to the operating operator aesthetic. They are heavily lacking in everything that is considered "anime" about anime. Like, show some fucking tau to an anime obsessed weaboo that has never seen warhammer and he will dismiss it as western shit from how western they are.
>>
>>50590760
This is hands down my favorite thing about the "lmao tau weeaboo" meme. The Tau are 50/50 Battletech and Communist China stereotypes. Meanwhile, you've got the Eldar who run around with super ninjas, literal EVAs, and guns that shoot shuriken, yet they are never called the weeaboo faction.
>>
>>50590783

It's absolutely true.
>>
>>50590480
you mean jews 2000 fucking years ago. And ashkenazes, who are actually arab, but also jews, like copts are arabs, but christian

and italian are as caucasian as most people in europe. Maybe spanish and portuguese have some moor blood in them compared to the rest of europe.
>>
the reality is that modern anime is a japanese attempt to copy western cartoons. so anime is western in origin to begin with.
>>
>>50591189
And every book that exists is just trying to copy Mesopotamian literature, right?
>>
>>50590760
>literally have appleseed bunny antennas and camera eyes everywhere
>IT'S WESTERN GAIZ
>>
I thought the Tau with their shitty caste system were actually INDIANS IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAAACE
>>
>>50589812
google "mecha"
>>
>>50591376
Next you will say that the 80's pontiac trans am is a very japanese car design due to sharing the hood curvature of the 70's corolla.

Some designs are simply extremely western in appearance despite borrowing eastern elements.
>>
>>50591189
This is dumb. As in so dumb. So all nations states are simply copying of the civilizations abounding in the Mesopotamian literature?

For that matter since the use of rough 'tools' probably originates somewhere along the African Coast all human 'tool use' is just copying Africans?
>>
Because the creators explicitly said manga and anime was an influence on their design. As someone else pointed out, Appleseed was a big influence, for instance.

Why do you care if its anime influenced? It's not like anime is the worst thing ever.
>>
>>50591774
He's not wrong, you know. Anime was hugely influenced by Disney's designs.
>>
>>50591803
the worst ever would be FATAL
and that is american i believe
>>
File: Dark_Mechcanius.jpg (54KB, 640x760px) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Mechcanius.jpg
54KB, 640x760px
>>50590760
They're lacking the new stuff that makes anime shit yes. If you compared tau to what was anime at the time though (all robots all the time) and the fact that the fucking CREATORS OF THE TAU even admit they're influenced by anime, you'd see that. Seriously read >>50590467 . Tau were brought in with an anime influence because it was a fresh and different design, and it is a great contrast to the Imperium, to show that yes, what we see as modern and "sensible" tech is still possible, it's just that the Imperium is too backwards and superstitious or as some would say, smart to embrace it.

There's not even anything wrong with it either, why is everybody so against them being anime influenced?

They make a good contrast race and it just makes it all the more delicious when my guardsmen wipe the floor with their super fancy tech using WWII tactics and pray to their guns for daily maintenance. Plus they just look good on the table with a nice clean paintjob as their slick designs are a nice break from all the cluttered and busy designs GW puts out for factions in the Imperium, Chaos, and orks.
>>
>>50590091
Chinese.

Fucking hell people, learn asians.

Kyuzo are japanese.
>>
>>50590446
Are you some kind of retard who has never actually read any Tau fluff? The Tau are guilty of genocide/speciocide, sterilization, and slavery.
>>
>>50590275
North Korea has the strangest approach to minority actors. They just kidnapped 4 American GIs and made them play almost every "western devil" in the entire film industry for decades.
>>
File: IMG_0497.png (216KB, 500x277px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0497.png
216KB, 500x277px
>>50589812
>I love the design but the fact that I would be associated with weeaboos and animu absolutely disgusts me and halts my investment into the race.

That's quite possibly one of the most pathetic things I've ever read.
>>
>>50590091
Cowardly, yellow skinned, slit eyed, deceptive, hard accented merchants.
>>
>>50591145
>Race of dark skinned, hairy, brunettes
>White
kek
Fuck off kike.
>>
>>50592419
>genocide/speciocide

Only against races that have no hope of joining the Tau. The Apoc reloaded book says it it bold letters "Assimilation, Not Extermination".

>sterilization

Not canon, that's speculation from in-verse character and even he said it might be from the single gender reeducation . The Tau in 6th ED and 7th ED are in a desperate need for manpower to the point that they are invading Hive Worlds and funnelling the human population deeper into their empire into their core worlds to act as a workng and fighting force to post Tau economy.

>slavery

Most depiction of humans in the Tau Empire shows they are quite happy living there. So what slavery?
>>
>>50589831
>>50589873

It's a little bit more based on Macross/Robotech and Votoms than Gundam really.
>>
>>50589856

>The fact that in old art they had chinaman hats

Is this for real? Are there any models with these hats because I would play the fuck out of them.
>>
>>50592657
No.

Just art.
>>
>>50592717

Ahhhh man what a shame.
>>
File: teppo-20.jpg (501KB, 1468x900px) Image search: [Google]
teppo-20.jpg
501KB, 1468x900px
>>50589856
>3.....honestly i don't think there is a three
the fire warriors are straight up sci-fi nip arquebusiers, but that's not really something a weeb would really pick up on
>>
>>50589884

BUT HOW WILL POOR BROKE GW SELL PLASTIC MINIATURES TO ADULTS YOU FOOL
>>
>>50592627
>Only against races that have no hope of joining the Tau. The Apoc reloaded book says it it bold letters "Assimilation, Not Extermination".
The first Codex of the Tau with their first fluff had them exterminating an entire population of humans for refusing to leave their homes.

>Not canon
Not declared a heretic tome, so perfectly canon like everything in 40k.

>Most depiction of humans in the Tau Empire shows they are quite happy living there. So what slavery?
The subordinate castes themselves are slaves to the Ethereals, hence Farsight smelling the coffee and getting the fuck out of dodge. On top of that they've also enslaved xenos auxiliaries like the Vespids, and-

>The Tau in 6th ED and 7th ED are in a desperate need for manpower to the point that they are invading Hive Worlds and funnelling the human population deeper into their empire into their core worlds to act as a workng and fighting force to post Tau economy.
Read nigga read.

Not to mention that GW's entire point for creating the Tau, besides to make a quick buck off weebs, was to show that nothing bright or good can exist in 40k, and showcase the Tau Empire's slip into corruption and degeneracy.
>>
>>50592583
Not too far from the truth if they were based on Chinese.

Seriously fuck the Chinese, bunch of shifty, lying bastards. You just have to look at their steel industry to see what type of cheats they are.
>>
What's that joke about the 2013 Czech presidential elections that had a bunch of different ethnicities running for it including a Japanese dude?
>>
>>50592800
>The Tau had claimed this world as their own. Its use had been decided, its first colonists already allocated from members of the Fio caste. It was as indisputable as a sunrise. The Gue'la already had an outpost on this world and Kais was in the process of removing them. The Ethereals had decreed this but, with typical Gue'la stubbornness, they had refused to bow to the inevitable. - Codex: Tau (2001), pg. 3
Shadowsun killed also killed seven billion people by burning a hive city to ash, civilians and all. Tau aren't good guys by any fucking measure unless you're some commie loving shitbag guzzling PRC kool-aid.
>>
>>50592800
>The first Codex of the Tau with their first fluff had them exterminating an entire population of humans for refusing to leave their homes.

I don't recall that at all and I have the codex. Cite the page and location so I can check it.

>Not declared a heretic tome, so perfectly canon like everything in 40k.

Not canon because it's a non-canonical ending and it's just speculation.

>The subordinate castes themselves are slaves to the Ethereals, hence Farsight smelling the coffee and getting the fuck out of dodge. On top of that they've also enslaved xenos auxiliaries like the Vespids, and-

The Tau are not any more slaves than the Eldar or humans. They just have a strict society.

>hence Farsight smelling the coffee and getting the fuck out of dodge.

Farsight main issue was the Ethereals hiding the existence of Chaos. He didn't leave the Tau Empire because of "slavery", but because what he knew must not come out for the wider Tau.

>Read nigga read.

They are not eslaved. Like I said, they are quite happy and they have social support programs that educates and ensure their wellbeing. They are doing much better than when they were on hive worlds/Imperial worlds.

Alright ball on your court. Start moving.
>>
>>50592825
>Shadowsun killed also killed seven billion people by burning a hive city to ash, civilians and all.

Notice that the Tau didn't nuke the rest of the Hive cities and even made attempts to protect the fleeing human civilians from their own side's bombing.

The problem with that one hive world was that it was being shielded by an advance form of shielding that prevented the Tau from invading the conventional way like they did with the rest of the hive cities. The problem exacerbated when city acted as a major point of Imperial opposition on the planet and its many cannons and artillery were wreaking havoc on the Tau forces on the ground preventing them from advancing further with their liberation of the world. The only way the world was to fall to the Tau was for that city to be removed and only way to do it was shoot it with a giant fusion cannon to negate the shield. Sure the city populace died but the Imperials gave the Tau no choice.

It's collateral damage. Regrettable but this is war.

Also I should post the "Israel vs Palestine" image. If you don't want your civs hurt don't put them where they can be hurt. Don't use them as shields!

>Shadowsun

And she saved a human child life later on. She doesn
>>
File: Imperium vs the Tau.jpg (12KB, 260x169px) Image search: [Google]
Imperium vs the Tau.jpg
12KB, 260x169px
>>50592941
She doesn't hate humanity*

Ah..found the cartoon.
>>
>>50592954
Now someone with a talent needs to edit it.
>>
>>50592954
To be completely fair, where the fuck would an entire hive of civilians go? thats like blaming the nazi's for all the raping the Soviets did during the taking of Berlin..
>>
>>50592941
>Don't use them as shields!
They didn't. They used the giant energy barrier, long range cannons and thick hive walls as shields to protect the civilian populace from a genocidal alien invader.

you've lost your touch, TIDF

>but they felt bad about it! There was no other choice!
invaders don't get to play that card
>>
>>50593126
Bad Gue'la! Watercast, shut it down!
>>
>>50593126
this guy really wants the tau be grimdark race #100, instead of anything that stands out

and the fluff is so big and open to interpretation, that you can support any possible claim
>>
>>50593152
Fucking (((Ethereals)))
>>
>>50589812

have you tired not being such a faggot? and just, y'know collect what you like
>>
File: Imperial-rockets attracks.jpg (118KB, 500x336px) Image search: [Google]
Imperial-rockets attracks.jpg
118KB, 500x336px
>>50593126
>building military installations in civilian structural areas
>not expecting the enemy to retaliate
>expecting the enemy just to lay down and take it

The Imperials gave the Tau no avenue to save the civilian lives. IIRC, the Tau gave the Imperials in the city advanced warning before the firing commenced. So what happened next is on the hands of the Imperials who refused to surrender.
>>
>>50593205
The Tau could have surrendered and stop expanding into imperial held space.
>>
>>50593154
The Tau ARE a grimdark race you tard, it was the entire purpose of the designers. Nothing in 40k is good, that's the point. The only people who think they're playing a "good guy" faction are those busy guzzling their faction's kool-aid like it was ambrosia.
>>
>>50593205

The humans were protecting themselves from fucking alien invaders and so placed their civilians in the most protected region of the planet, behind shields and heavy artillery. The Tau are not good guys, as soon as you start taking inhabited planets by force you cash that chip in.

Thats not to say the Imperium is a good guy either, dont get me wrong. This isnt some black and white war its pretty fucking grey all around.
>>
>>50593258
Actually, not true. The Tau were very non-grimdark when they were introduced. Races that refused the join with the Tau had to sign non-aggression treaties with the Tau and the Tau would just leave them alone. The Tau even assimilated races that don't benefit the Tau in any way but they did it out of charity.

Some certain people complained that the Tau weren't grimdark enough and GW heard them out. 4th ED came out and it make the Tau adopt a shade of grimdark (le Join us or die) and as time progressed GW kept adding more shades of grimdark until they overdid it in certain areas.

If people accepted the Tau as they were in 3th ED, how things would have been different.
>>
>>50593300
>Tau in 3rd edition are ignorant of just how fucked up the galaxy is, not surprisingly they're idealistic fools
>as they discover more and more of this bullshit (the Dark Eldar 'cultural exchange' story is still my favorite) they become more jaded and grimdark

Wow..its like theres a theme or something.
>>
>>50593272
>This
The Tau were clearly in the wrong here.
>>
>>50593272
The Imperium is an actual genocidal regime that is neighbouring the Tau Empire. A constant threat to its prosperity and future that has tried to wipe out the Tau and will do so again if given the chance. Eliminating Imperial strongholds in the region and evicting the Imperium from the Damocles Gulf is necessary for the Tau survival as a species.

Agrellan, the world being invaded, is a major warp travel hub in the region and a door way to the resource rich Dovar system. Claiming it was a huge boon for the Tau Empire and a big b;low for the Imperials within the region.
>>
>>50593336
And thats fine, conquering Imperial worlds for resources is a perfectly valid reason. But dont pretend the Tau are some big god damn heroes in this.

And if I recall correctly the Tau were going full subversive and stealing Imperial worlds out from under the Imperium before the Crusade. Thats a good a reason as any for declaring war.

The Tau went full expansionist, and like a toddler jumping into a shark tank they got bit in the ass for it.
>>
>>50593321
>(the Dark Eldar 'cultural exchange' story is still my favorite)

The Dark Eldar exchange happened at the ass end of the setting timeline in 992+ 41K, though. During their rise, the friendly races and assimilable races that Tau encountered vastly outnumbered the hostile and incompatible they met. The Tau have no reason to be jaded.
>>
>>50593300
>If people accepted the Tau as they were in 3th ED, how things would have been different.
You mean the "surrender your world unconditionally or die" tau of third edition?

Invading armies are invading armies, anon. Nimbosa's invasion is from the third edition book, which features the Tau deliberately invading an imperial planet to harness its resources for themselves.

Later publications made the whole affair considerably more damning for the aliens, but their hands were never especially clean.
>>
>>50593358
That was only one example, the wars with the Orks were another eye opener for the Tau, hell what about the discovery of Chaos and the refusal of the Ethereals to tell their people about it? There is plenty to make a new, wide eyed kid on the block realize that he's just moved into a ghetto.
>>
File: typical pol poster.jpg (209KB, 1000x721px) Image search: [Google]
typical pol poster.jpg
209KB, 1000x721px
>>50590356

is this you?
>>
>>50593369
>You mean the "surrender your world unconditionally or die" tau of third edition?

That was introduced in 4th ED, though.

>Nimbosa's invasion is from the third edition book

Which going by the negotiation scene in the codex, it was a border dispute over who gets to control the planet.

>Later publications made the whole affair considerably more damning for the aliens,

They rewrote Nimbosa into a hive world rather than a colony, IIRC. Brightsword (clone) went apeshit there and had to be recalled to be punished by the Ethereal council.
>>
>>50593352
>And if I recall correctly the Tau were going full subversive and stealing Imperial worlds

To be fair, the Tau were just establishing trade ties with neglected Imperial border worlds and peacefully assimilating worlds that wanted out of the Imperium. The Imperium didn't give a damn or attention to that area of space until Eldar raiders attracted its attention there. Basically, the Tau were just messing with worlds that the Imperium didn't particularly care about. Disloyal worlds that would have rebelled anyways.
>>
>>50593500
And they were politely told to fuck off with a crusade to the face. Doesnt matter if they're neglected or not, they're Imperial worlds and quite frankly, the Tau should have realized that it was coming. But they didnt believe the Imperium was as big and brutal as they were told.
>>
>>50593513
>But they didnt believe the Imperium was as big and brutal as they were told.

Actually, the Tau realized the Imperium was massive back then this why they opted to going with the subtle approach because outright war would be disastrous. They didn't count of the Imperium being so belligerent and unreasonable in its response.
>>
>>50593536
>and unreasonable
>take planets belong to a well known ornery cunt
>act surprised when said ornery cunt does something ornery and cuntish

Someone needs to edit the picture of the guy on the bike putting a stick in his spokes..
>>
>>50589867
Original Tau didn't really have anime-style mechas. Those only came recently, in the last two codices. Before that they only got the XV8s (and later Forgeworld's XV9, which is bigger but hardly "giant mecha" size), which are not as much mechs as they're powered armour. Such things are really more common in western media than in Japan. Before Riptides and supremacy suits, Eldar were really the closest faction to anime mechs, with their giant impossibly agile super robot style titans.
Tau design is supposed to be manga-like, though, ie. clean and streamlined but still functional, compared to Eldar, who are also clean and streamlined but more fantasical, or the Imperium's AD2000 look with blocky shapes and skulls and other greeblies everywhere.
>>
ACCORDING TO THE CREATORS, THE TWO MAIN SOURCES OF INSPIRATION FOR THE TAU ARE:

STAR WARS EPISODE 1

AND

"JAPANESE CARTOONS"

I KINDA WISH THEY'D TAKEN MORE INSPIRATION FROM THE LATTER AND LESS FROM THE FORMER
>>
>>50593850
Eldar everything actually looks a lot more like manga stuff.

They have Guyver armor
Their craftworlds look like they're from Outlander by Jouji Manabe (although that's not the only inspo)
their mechs look like they were designed by Sonoda

and each time those inspirations are channeled very elegantly into something that looks cool

On the other hand, most tau battlesuits look like a really clumsy attempt to create a Landmate out of Gundam parts, which doesn't fucking work because boxy, underdetailed parts prevent bulky mechs from looking nimble and cool.

The Ghostkeel suit is the only cool-looking battlesuit because it looks more like a Landmate than anything else in the tau range.
>>
>>50592419
That's kind of the "joke" of Tau. They're pretty pragmatic, and while they prefer that you'd join their empire peacefully and do your part for the greater good because you believe in the ideal, if that doesn't work they're perfectly willing to stick a pulse rifle to your face and ask you to join them again, and they have no problems using whatever means necessary to control potentially rebellious populations. In almost any setting they'd be villains or heavily in the morally gray zone, but in 40k they come across as "too nice" because they actually give you a choice of joining or dying instead of just enslaving/killing/eating (or in case of Dark Eldar, all three and not necessarily in that order) you. Even their underhanded stuff is pretty tame compared to the Imperium's equivalent.
>>
>>50589812
You're already a closet weeaboo. Just embrace it.
>>
>>50590143
>before they added tyranids
In Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader?
>>
>>50594099
Although there were elements in Rogue Trader which we would now call Tyranids, like Genestealers, Tyranids didn't really exist till 2nd ed.
>>
>>50589873
"Superhero comics"

>Huge shoulders
>Aggressively masculine
>Overdesigned costumes
...you have a point there, anon.
>>
File: Bors an WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT.png (48KB, 433x325px) Image search: [Google]
Bors an WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT.png
48KB, 433x325px
>>50592140
>why is everybody so against them being anime influenced?
Because they like the Tau, but think that because the Tau are influenced by anime and manga that liking the Tau means liking anime/manga by association, which they can't because they might be called a weeaboo if they like anything from japan. And, of course, being called a weeaboo by anonymous 4chan users is literally the worst attack anyone could ever face.
>>
File: watch it mon-keigh.jpg (46KB, 632x506px) Image search: [Google]
watch it mon-keigh.jpg
46KB, 632x506px
>the lesser races argue among themselves

Y'all primitives need some void strategy!
>>
>>50592578
It might be better that he stays away from collecting something personal. It seems he has no spine and/or taste
>>
>>50594128
That's just flat wrong.

They were not the modern Tyranids but they were called Tyranids and were no more different to the modern ones than the Space Marines in RT were to the modern ones.

Where did you think Zoats came from desu.
>>
>>50593977
Agreed, anon.

The Tau are dicks, like basically any large organization or government. Seriously, just look at the US as a comparison

>Japanese internment camps
>Only country to use nuclear weapons in warfare
>Native American genocide
>"Enhanced interviewing techniques" ie. Waterboarding

That's all pretty nasty shit, but OVERALL life in the US is a lot more pleasant than life in, say, North Korea. Overall, the people aren't "pure evil"

It's the same basic idea in a lot of fiction. Large organizations allow reprehensible bullshit to happen that'll stay on that organization's reputation for decades or centuries, even when the majority of the members don't want anything to do with aforementioned reprehensible bullshit.

The Tau aren't evil, but neither's the Imperium. They're both just too distributed for the "good" people to keep the utter bastards in line.
>>
>>50593977
This is the position I personally favour. The Tau would by all rights in anyother story be vilains, an aggressively expansionistic Empire forcibly compelling its ideology on others.

However, in 40k they simply are the 'nicest' of the big players. If only because they are one of the few factions not seeking to kill all other life in the galaxy. If you're a Hrenian, Nicassar, Vespid, Kroot basically anything other than human (and even then if you're a mutant, certain abhumans or a human who wants to worship something other than the Emperor/Worship no-one) the Tau are almost the only hegemon who will not kill you on principle. Orks, Imperium, Dark Eldar, Necron, Tyranids, Chaos all promise to simply eradicate you and toture you on principal.
>>
I think its a message about how Orwellian our society is that some people don't realise how dark the Tau Empire really is. It's like a gilded cage.

Tau Empire is like our current left wing nanny state, ends justify the means, utopian (dystopian) society but turned to 11.
>>
>>50594699
Which is still way better than dying the moment I'm discovered. Which is what happens to any Nicassar or Vespid the Imperium meets.
>>
>>50592769
>Those side plates
>Them wristguards

You might be on to something here.
>>
>>50594579
>>Japanese internment camps

Literally every great power had conentration camps. Hell, the Brits invented them. The US ones were some of the few that weren't de facto death camps. Not that that excuses them, but context matters.

>>Only country to use nuclear weapons in warfare

In defense, after warning the Japanese several times by official channels and via leaflets to evacuate the target cities. The Emperor and military have only themselves to blame.

>>Native American genocide

Done by literally everyone. No one has or does care about stone age primitives. It's ugly, but not particularly American.

>>"Enhanced interviewing techniques" ie. Waterboarding

While torture is practiced by everyone (directly or through proxies), I agree it's particularly odious coming from a country that claims torture is illegal.
>>
>>50594578
Space Marines are almost exactly the same, Tyranids were much different.
>>
>>50594907
Consider also the chinstraps and the bulky thighs vs the thin calves.

Not to mention the shoulder plates.
>>
>>50590222
>white people are 90% of characters in all movies and tv shows. white people get to choose which character to see as representative of their race.
IN WHITE MAJORITY COUNTRIES.
jesus fuck cracker
It's like Bollywood isn't majority my people
furthermore it is not as if whites are the population group with the highest generally inherited wealth base (though not highest owning, asian including indian is. because they don't get into shitty fucking art schools to become actors.) so they tend to have more people heading into those courses.
also that as a rebuttal was stupid.
get the fuck back where you belong.
>>
>>50594967
>. Hell, the Brits invented them
it was nessary in the boer war.
much more human then killing every person there.
but like in typical british fashion they did it the shit way.
soldiers, civilians all of them dropping like flies because of bad food allocation, guerrilla action on supply lines, poor medical proventions.
it's not quite like the german concentration camps or anything by eastern powers.

>>50594967
>Done by literally everyone.
nah man, i've been forced through a course up here as part of my university courses. basically it explained that aboriginals had a lot of agency within canada and sort fo chose this life.
and then the brits were too incompetent to actually supply them with materials.strange for a piece of propaganda it actually made me sympathize less with the aboriginals. up here where they didn't get fucked they sorta made their own bed and the Brits accidentally filled it with typhoid
>>
Japanese influence is obvious

But does japan = weab?
>>
>>50589812
I watch at least one episode of anime almost every day, and at one point considered learning Japanese just so I could watch anime before they were translated.

But if you even considered playing Tau for any reason, you're far more of a weeb than I'll ever be.
>>
File: 40kek.jpg (29KB, 292x257px) Image search: [Google]
40kek.jpg
29KB, 292x257px
>>50595266
>soldiers, civilians all of them dropping like flies because of bad food allocation, guerrilla action on supply lines, poor medical proventions.
Just like the German ones
Hell you could say Britain got away with it because they're perfidious
>>
>>50595553
>Hell you could say Britain got away with it because they're perfidious
Nah
the south Africans or at least the white ones are probably still made. thought likely more made about the apartheid thing.
>>
>>50589856
>2.The fact that in old art they had chinaman hats.

AND BIG PITY THEY REMOVED THAT.

The same with taking away Leather Jackets and Longcoats from Eldar...and mohawks.
>>
>>50592769
>They have SOLDIERS that use GUNS
Y'don't fucking say.
>>
>>50594967
Well yeah but that's my point. Sure I think that nuking 2 civilian cities was fucked up, but the NATION of Japan had totally thrown "ethics" and "civilian rights" out the window so I mean i can't be horrified.

The point is, the Tau could be no more grimdark than the USA, potentially. Or they could be worse than the lovechild of occupied WWII era China and North Korea.

As for if it's weeb...

OP, anyone who'd legitimately look at you and your Tau army and think/say "wow, what a fucking weeb" is a cunt. The kind that would be judging you for your hair or shoes or music preferences and feeling insufferably smug about THAT if you didn't have the weeb army with you.
>>
>>50594729

That's what you get for being a filthy xeno
>>
>>50589856
>3.....honestly i don't think there is a three
GW said they made them to cash in on the early 2000s mongolian sock puppet theater craze.

They were literally designed to be weeb-bait
>>
File: image.jpg (17KB, 460x423px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17KB, 460x423px
>>50590356
I don't see why it should matter to anyone.
>>
File: a weapon to surpass metal gear.jpg (168KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
a weapon to surpass metal gear.jpg
168KB, 1280x960px
>>50589812
They're based off of mecha anime/manga. That's why they're considered "anime", why you put that in quotations is beyond me. They are naively idealistic, they punch above their weight with giant robots SPIRIAL EN- er, their belief in the greater good, and they have an impractical amount of armor on all of their soldiers.
>the fact that I would be associated with weeaboos and animu absolutely disgusts me and halts my investment into the race.
I suggest you find a different website and grow thicker skin.

Shame this thread went from OP's bitching about anime to cucks bitching about a lack of blacks(hah, yeah right) in tv. I came into this thread hoping to hear about the farsight enclave.
>>50594670
I like the tau, personally. They're one of the most soothing factions in 40k. Sometimes you don't want to hear/think about eldar bullshit, WAAAGH, "death is inevitable", "all pathes lead to ruin", "we sacrifice a billion off-screen lives for the emperor, what woe" or "nomnomnom". Sometimes you just want to see a giant robot blow the shit out of something.
>>
>>50589812
It's just a meme bro.
Thread posts: 150
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.