[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the underlying principles of the tank/damage/support

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

What are the underlying principles of the tank/damage/support strategy? What sorts of abilities or qualities does a character need in order to satisfy their role? What types of skills are helpful but not required? I ask because I'm playing in a small team as a tank soon and I want to understand my responsibilities better.
>>
What game are you talking about OP? Specifics may help/ Generally speaking however, a Tank would have more HP/Wounds than other characters and some ability that either provokes enemies to attack him, or a means to intercept attacks meant for allies. Damage does damage, fairly simple. Supports can support in a number of ways, you can have a healbot who just undoes damage you've suffered, or a more buff centric support who improves the capabilities of their allies. Or more utility supports, though these will vary upon your system.
>>
>>50582841
Well the system is cypher. (I know a lot of people don't like it, but it's what my group plays, so whatever) It adds an interesting layer because the cost for special abilities actually comes right out of your health pools. The starting character I've built has 4 armor (unmodified damage maxes out at six) he has a costly ability that nullifies the next melee attack, and an ability that makes it easier for my allies to dodge the attacks of an enemy I hit.
>>
>>50582951
I see. Unfortunately, I know bugger all about Cypher. Those sound like universally good abilities though.
>>
>>50582783

Now keep in mind these are generalizations. I'm not to familiar with the system, but these are true across most systems in my experience.

Tank strategy: obviously you need to have some survivability, but the most important part of being the tank is actually your ability to draw fire or impose yourself between your allies and the danger. Unlike in vidya enemies in table top aren't just gonna attack the nearest thing, they are as smart as your dm makes them. This means that if your just a walking blob of armor they may just bypass you to get at the people who actually threaten them. You need to draw fire. Aggressive behavior is the way to go. Hit first hit hard and catch their attention. Make them deal with you.

Support strat: there are different types. But the best kind does two things. It provides buffs for its allies, ie makes it easier for them to do their jobs, and two it manipulates the battle field. Spells that create obstructions and walls are great. Split the enemy up so that instead of dealing with 5 opponents your dealing with 2, and the other three are on the other side of your magical wall. Hide your dudes in a fog so archers can't get at them. Imagination and tactics are key for support in an rpg. It's a lot more than just spamming heals and advantage spells. Fin ways to stack the metaphorical deck.

Damage: is actually done best from a safe distance. Preferably in one big bang. Because as soon as you announce that you are the dangerous one, not the big brute who's up in their face drawing their attention, then you've drawn a huge target on your chest.
>>
>>50582783
DPS kills key targets so the Support doesn't die.
Tank draws attacks so the DPS doesn't die.
Support heals Tank so the Tank doesn't die.
>>
>>50583175
That's a good point. I'm thinking that my block ability is too passive for early game. It costs 3 points to use and in the early game the toughest enemies should only hit me for two damage. I could trade it out for a spell that holds enemies in place. It only costs a single point, so it's better for my survivability. I can put extra points into it to increase the effect, so it scales. The enemy can still fight while they're trapped, so it encourages then to hit me instead, and at the very least it costs them a turn just to attempt escape. That's much more aggressive.
>>
>>50584055

Trapping then in place is perfect for tank. Forces them to deal with you and prevents them from getting at your allies. Not only do you hold some of them in place, I'd the ones you don't grab wanna get them loose they will have to deal with you. Get thst for now anon. Get block latter when you need more survivability.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.