[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any RPG systems particularly suited to running

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

Are there any RPG systems particularly suited to running a mystery campaign?
>>
the classic answer is CoC 1890s
>>
>>50561218
What are you looking for that you can't do in something generic like D&D or GURPS?
>>
>>50561226
I'd like to note that the setting I'm going for is not necessarily Victorian. I'm looking for mechanics which assignment the players investigating and attempting to solve a mystery.

I was actually thinking of setting it in the mid 20th century.
>>
>>50561273
Augment*

Fuck phoneposting
>>
>>50561259
A system that isn't wholly built around fantasy combat, for one
>>
Classic is Call of Cthulhu, and a new Delta Green game just came out that is pretty excellent and, in my opinion, fixes a lot of brp's fiddly bits. There is also trail of cthulhu/gumshoe which uses a meta game economy instead of dice rolling to solve mysteries. Technically a big part of Dark Heresy is about solving mysteries in the grim darkness of the 41st millennium
>>
>>50561259
>something generic like D&D
Holy shit what?
>>
>>50561259
>generic
>D&D

What're you, stupid?
>>
>>50561273
You could probably look into Dogs in the Vineyard. It's fairly setting agnostic.
>>
File: Russian-Sleep-Experiment.png (414KB, 640x350px) Image search: [Google]
Russian-Sleep-Experiment.png
414KB, 640x350px
>>50561218
The Gumshoe system was made specifically for mystery campaigns. Check out Trail of Cthulhu, Fear Itself and The Esoterrorist for more information. I never played it, so I couldn't tell you if it's any good.
>>
>>50561625
this was going to be my suggestion, I've run mysteries in Gumshoe and it works great

>>50561617
if I remember correctly doesn't the rulebook of DitV explicitly say not to make it a mystery, the players should be in a transparent but morally ambiguous situation and have to make a judgement call, or something like that (I'm genuinely asking, I recently lost all my rulebook pdfs so I don't know)
>>
>>50561218
Call of Cthulhu, Delta Green, Trail of Cthulhu, Esoterrorist, GUMSHOE, Night's Black Agents, Unknown Armies (check out that new third edition), Storyteller, World of Darkness, Ars Magica, Kult..
>>
>>50562104
>if I remember correctly doesn't the rulebook of DitV explicitly say not to make it a mystery, the players should be in a transparent but morally ambiguous situation and have to make a judgement call, or something like that

Correct. The game was intended to have the GM create a "You know what happened, what are you going to do about it now" situation.

But you can still make a mystery out of it, I'd say. The premise isn't baked into the rules, it's just there to convey the "dispense your interpretation of church-based frontier justice upon people who may or may not believe your actions to be condoned by God" tone of the fluff.
>>
>>50562104

The base DitV setting works best with no mysteries because that's not the point of the setting: the point is to make moral judgements in situations where all the facts are known.

Once you leave that and start applying the system to other settings, though, it becomes much less important to make sure the players have all facts in the first 15 seconds.
>>
Witchers in witcher-verse
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.