[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You know Games Workshop isn't something totally original.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

You know Games Workshop isn't something totally original. It is a combination multiple fantasy and Sci-fi archetypes. There isn't any reason why someone can't make something exactly like it.

All the other Fantasy and Sci-fi games try to be different. But they should really try to be as similar and compatible as they can be to GW. That would really destroy GW and get tabletop moving in the right direction again.

It wouldn't have to be anything epic either. You could start with Fantasy/Sci-fi games and miniatures built on the very small skirmish games that could augment current GW miniature lines or fill holes in GW's line.

Hell you could even stay ahead of the game by releasing new products that are similar to whatever Hollywood was coming out with at the moment. WHY THE FUCK GW DIDN'T RELEASE ELDAR EXODITES WHEN AVATAR CAME OUT I WILL NEVER KNOW? It would have been eazy money in the bank boys.
>>
File: 1452365264319.jpg (212KB, 1500x1073px) Image search: [Google]
1452365264319.jpg
212KB, 1500x1073px
What is really to stop someone from doing a galaxy wide Sci-Fi setting with a date attached to it?

Space Orcs, Star Fey, Imperial Guard, Space Marines, Space Goblins, Void Pirates, Robo-Necromancers, Shadow Jesters, Mech-Knights.
>>
>>50551454
>WHY THE FUCK GW DIDN'T RELEASE ELDAR EXODITES WHEN AVATAR CAME OUT I WILL NEVER KNOW?
Because Games Workshop hates money. That pretty much the only explanation I can come up with at this point. Think about Warhammer Fantasy. This is apparently how the conversation at GW headquarters went:

>Well, we've done it. After all these years of trying to make a good Warhammer video game, we've got a triple A publisher to use GW intellectual property in a long running and extremely successful series. Not only should Warhammer: Total War be extremely profitable in itself, it will also provide a huge publicity boost to the tabletop game, attracting a huge number of new players. next to getting a movie made by a Hollywood studio, this is the holy grail of marketing. Now, how do we go forward and capitalise on this success?

>Well, I suggest we scrap the tabletop game and replace it with something that only bears a passing resemblance. That way, the Total War: Warhammer will feature a setting that doesn't even exist any more, so the hype for the video game will probably be a lot less than if GW was aggressively marketing Fantasy in the run-up to its release. From there, all those people who do still end up playing the video game and get interested in the tabletop from it will end up finding that none of GW's current products bear much resemblance to it. This will end up leaving huge numbers of potential new customers confused and a little pissed off.

>Yep, sounds good to me. When do we start?

>Well, we want to kill Fantasy just as the hype for the Total game is starting to build, for maximum disappointment.

>Ah yes, of course. Well, we'd better get on it then.
>>
Are mods asleep again?
>>
>why doesn't a company predict the future success of a movie they've had no more information about than the general audience?
>why doesn't a company invest a ton of money, scrap all their release plans and just churn out a bunch of minis, rules and art out of nothing as a knee-jerk reaction?

My question is where are the mods to keep this shit under wraps?
>>
Hey, maybe in a year or two someone from GW will pull a Kojima on them.
>>
>>50551454
>WHY THE FUCK GW DIDN'T RELEASE ELDAR EXODITES WHEN AVATAR CAME OUT I WILL NEVER KNOW?
Because it's much better that they are waiting until Avatar 2 because they know it will be a blockbuster and have plenty of advanced warning
>>
the sump is where nightmares come true
>>
>>50551454
> WHY THE FUCK GW DIDN'T RELEASE ELDAR EXODITES WHEN AVATAR CAME OUT I WILL NEVER KNOW?

because a range of models like that would probably have a minimum development time of 2 years, probably 3.
>>
>>50552565
>>50553460
>>50552179
pretty much
>>
File: 1405217738403.png (109KB, 490x687px) Image search: [Google]
1405217738403.png
109KB, 490x687px
>>50553460
2-3 years development time for some dragon riders and a bunch of wood elves with shrukins.....
>>
File: 1419875661258.jpg (2MB, 4048x3289px) Image search: [Google]
1419875661258.jpg
2MB, 4048x3289px
>>50554506
Oh wait, wouldn't want to delay any Space Marine releases with anything new or original.
>>
>>50554535
>literally just got Harlequins, Skitarii, AdMech, and GSC
>FUCKING GSC
>>
>>50551454
>There isn't any reason why someone can't make something exactly like it.
Times changed, people are extremely more obsessed about protecting their own IP and simple resemblance to another IP doesn't sell things to their respective fans anymore.

You could try, hipsters would promote its difference in the modern market but when it'll near passing the line between obscurity and popularity it will get torn apart by other companies and fanbases.

Not even original IP will do it, you need roots into the "good old days" to satiate the reboot generations, unless you want to base your fans on weeabos with obsessions disorders.
>>
>>50551989
This is bitter sounding but still somehow describes perfectly what they did.
>>
>>50551454
Pretty sure you're describing Mantic's business plan anon.
>>
>>50554506
Yes, and? You think a company is just sitting there with their thumbs up their asses doing nothing? They got a full schedule producing stuff, so squeezing in whole new kits is not simple nor cheap. You don't start making plastic injection moulds on a whim, it's a big investment, and you sure as hell want to make sure it pays out.

Hell, those new Eldar bikes were shown almost a decade ago for the first time.
>>
>>50558935
I've been playing Fantasy since the early 2000s and I've dropped hundreds of pounds on it. Tell me why I shouldn't be bitter.
>>
>>50551989
Is there any company out there that is even more shortsighted than GW?
>>
File: 1450870201288.png (428KB, 1046x571px) Image search: [Google]
1450870201288.png
428KB, 1046x571px
>>50551989
You forgot the part where they did a retcon and then purposfully destroyed the setting as much as possible just to spite old fans and confuse new ones as to what's really going on.

I'm sensing some bitterness in your post, but it pretty much describes what happened.

It's like they really hate money and went with the scorched earth approach just so that there could be no takebacks if someone with financial sense or an enthusiasm for the setting would show up later.
>>
Just make a replacement for WFRP with respectable fluff that doesn't tie to Old World like Mantica does.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.