[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to run a HxH game. How to I accurately simulate Nen using

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: zixa83r.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
zixa83r.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
I want to run a HxH game. How to I accurately simulate Nen using RPG mechanics? What system would work for it? If I used GURPS what books should I use?
>>
>>50549079
I'd suggest Anima: Beyond fantasy, if only because Ki abilities and Techniques are real close to how nen works.
And because one of my players' character is full on Hisoka Morow, personality-wise.
>>
>>50549079
I have no experience with HxH, but after a brief perusal of the wiki, here's how I'd handle HxH game in GURPS.

1. Use fast-paced and cinematic rules. The Action series and Martial Arts book are good sources for these. Don't fall into the trap of including rules because they're there; GURPS is not that kind of game and your fast-paced shonen-based game is going to fall apart if you get caught up in gritty realistic rules.
2. In GURPS terminology, Nen is a source, Nen type (Enhancer/Transmuter/Conjurer/etc.) is a power, and the various techniques and applications of Nen are abilities. See Powers for more detail. Psionic Powers may be worth looking at for its approach to supernatural powers vs supernatural skills.
3. Vows and Limitations already exist in standard GURPS, though ironically the names are reversed. Advantages can have limitations to reduce their point cost, and it looks like all HxH vows would be covered by the Accessibility limitation. Disadvantages can be taken to give you more points in general, and HxH limitations would be a version of the Vow disadvantage that, when broken, would be replaced with a disadvantage equal to *twice* the Vow's value. Such Vows could also be used for the Pact limitation.

Basic Set + Powers (for Nen); GM should also glance through Action 1-3, Martial Arts, and Psionic Powers for rules advice, but the books won't be necessary for players. Swing by the GURPS general if you end up going with this system, but best of luck to you regardless if you go with something else!
>>
File: mouth dick now.png (73KB, 572x328px) Image search: [Google]
mouth dick now.png
73KB, 572x328px
>>50551483
Damn, I'm not OP but that was ridiculously clear and concise, I'm actually a little aroused.

Guess I need all the gurps books now.
>>
>>50551453
how good is anima?
>>
>>50549079
FATE would probably be your best bet, being as it's fairly freeform.
>>
>>50554024
I don't know if FATE is the best bet but a semi freeform system is probably OP's best bet

You could theoretically hack a respectable HxH game out of Legends of the Wulin by homebrewing a few Internal Styles,Secret Arts, and Loresheets
>>
>>50553963
Very fun, however it's originally printed in Spanish, and the translation isn't always perfect.
>>
>>50554296
i know how to read spanish, how is combat? slow?
>>
>>50551483
That sounds fantastic.
>>
>>50554347
You should probably worry about the incredibly convoluted character creation first.
>>
>>50549079
>How to I accurately simulate Nen using RPG mechanics?

You don't.

Nen is just an excuse for characters to have all kinds of supernatural powers. Select a system based on what you want out of the game, instead of trying to simulate a story element that's ultimate only used for asspulls.
>>
File: Anima Combat Flowchart.jpg (316KB, 1190x998px) Image search: [Google]
Anima Combat Flowchart.jpg
316KB, 1190x998px
>>50554347
Can be slow. Some grognards have trouble with third grade math(dividing by 20, adding numbers higher than 100 together, specifically), making it slower.
And while the character creation takes some time, it's not the indecipherable mess >>50558161 would have you believe it is. Most gripes aimed at the chargen have to do with people not being able to get more than a few secondaries, even though that promotes teammates balancing each other out.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.