[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 435
Thread images: 39

File: UAFighter.png (74KB, 300x350px) Image search: [Google]
UAFighter.png
74KB, 300x350px
>Latest News
Fighter UA is out! https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/fighter
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's Druids.

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous thread >>50540836

How long until WotC gets their shit together and fixes the UA Fighter PDF link?
>>
>>50545844
>Fighter UA is out!
>File not found."
>>
>>50545844
It'll never be fixed.
Next weeks feedback will be "it was fucking broken" and then they'll nerf the class because they thought everybody meant the archetypes.
>>
>>50545824
>>50545822
Humans are just about the oldest race still running around and doing visible thing on Faerun.

Despite this, they were scratching around in the dirt for millennia, then Dwarves popped out of a portal from another fucking planet, brought language and metalworking and all this other shit, and Humans were STILL shitting into their hands and eating raw meat for several thousand years after.
>>
>>50545844
>How long until WotC gets their shit together and fixes the UA Fighter PDF link?

20 min
>>
Are any archetypes pigeonholed into a trope / character harder than the monk archetypes?
>>
Still angry at the monk hate.
>>
File: misteak.png (224KB, 393x377px) Image search: [Google]
misteak.png
224KB, 393x377px
>>50545844
>Fighter UA is "out"!
>>
SORCEROUS RESTORATION
5th level - 1 sp/short rest
10th - 2
15th - 3
20th - 4

But now you need a new capstone feature. What will it be?
>>
File: IMG_0307.jpg (37KB, 268x268px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0307.jpg
37KB, 268x268px
>>50545844
>Fighter UA is out!
>>
>>50545876
How can you know Dwarves weren't a far older race than humanity on their own world?
Yours is a non-argument.
>>
>>50545861
I'd scale Sorcerer Restoration more than that.
Level 3: 2/rest
Level 5: 3/rest
Level 9: 4/rest
Level 13: 5/rest
Level 17: 6/rest

A new capstone would be just fine, or boost sorcerous restoration even more at 20.
>>
>>50545914
Or maybe something gay like "whenever you roll initiative, if you have no sorcery points remaining..." ?
>>
File: tfw no fighter UA.png (361KB, 500x438px) Image search: [Google]
tfw no fighter UA.png
361KB, 500x438px
>>50545844
>>50545866
>>50545886
>>50545908
>>
File: JamesHallArt-com-sorcerer.jpg (247KB, 700x563px) Image search: [Google]
JamesHallArt-com-sorcerer.jpg
247KB, 700x563px
What race is the best for chain/blade warlock?
>>
>>50545959
https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/805850686399254528
"I'll post here when the week's UA is ready. #DnD #WOTCstaff"
>>
>>50545951
You'd get into some awkward situations in some builds where you have a remaining sorcery point but no way to spend it to make that feature do anything.
>>
>>50545951
>whenever you roll initiative, if you have no sorcery points remaining...regain all of them?

Sounds good
>>
>>50545966
half elf or dwarf
>>
do yall use experience multipliers? i'm gonna run a short 1 person campaign to introduce a friend to d&d. some places advise using a multiplier for xp depending on the ratio of players to monsters.

in the past i've never done this (i've only ever dm'd for a group of 4-5)
>>
>>50545983
Monks and battlemasters already have that, so it's probably fine.

>>50546050
AFAIK most people don't even use experience anymore, just inform their players when they want them to gain a level.
>>
File: adalbert einsteinar.png (299KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
adalbert einsteinar.png
299KB, 600x500px
>>50545882
wat
I'm currently playing a Dwarven sage who fuels all of his abilities not with ki, but with a mystical understanding of the nature of matter. Instead of using some bullshit quasi-magical energy source, he's using millennia-old secrets passed down by a society of Dwarven scholars and mystics who sought to understand matter on its most fundamental level to alter the mass/energy of himself and other objects

Slow Fall? Becoming absurdly light so he simply floats.
Deflect Arrow? Draining kinetic energy so that it slows and can be snatched up or plink harmlessly off a section of his skin that has had its density massively increased.
Step of the Wind? Increasing mass while building up speed, then lowering mass significantly so that momentum carries him further.
Stunning Strike? Altering blood density in an enemy to cause rapid shifts in blood pressure which temporarily disorient and incapacitate.
Flurry of Blows? Echoes of the kinetic energy of the original strike.
>>
>>50546050
The multipliers are used for determining the difficulty of an encounter when there are more monsters than usual. It's not used for the final XP reward.

Most people don't use XP and use milestones instead, anyway.
>>
>>50546050
Rather than counting XP, it's probably easier to just let the PCs level up every few sessions without keeping track of XP. Same effect, 100% less obnoxious calculations for you and the players to mess up.
>>
>>50546050
You need to use the experience multipliers for encounter building so you don't mis-tune the encounter for the number of players.

For actually awarding exp, do whatever. I only use exp as an encounter-building tool.
>>
>>50546050
You should really consider it. It mainly becomes noticible when the enemies are double the party's number, which isn't often if there's 5 of them.

For one player, while a handful of kobolds might seem an easy task, their numbers can get overwhelming.
>>
>>50546086
>other players are obsessed about counting XP
>DM humors them but things get missed
>everyone insists we're not using milestones but whenever we get to a point where we clearly should have leveled up but haven't yet for some reason, "Oh, quest completion experience. uhhhh you're level whatever now"
>>
>>50546050
>still using experience
>>
>>50545069
>>50545802
>>50545829
So how does this sound: I have a homebrew class that uses a ki-like resource (1/level, regen on short rest). I'm thinking of a capstone that gives them 1 point at the start of every turn when they have none left. The previous feature, at 15th level, is proficiency in wisdom saves.
Sound reasonable?
>>
File: monks.gif (4MB, 800x334px) Image search: [Google]
monks.gif
4MB, 800x334px
>>50546063
>>
>>50546050
Consider giving him a couple henchmen, like the knight background. One with a survival skill to help set/keep camp and cook, one with healing (something like healer feat 1/day) to help him out of combat only, and one who can barely hit but can take a few blows and follows his orders so he can have a combat buddy.
>>
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/2016_Fighter_UA_1205_1.pdf IT'S OUT
>>
>>50545882
The only way I feel monks are pigeonholed is that they really need a race that gives them 16 dex and wis, and they really want Mobile as a feat.

This severely cuts down on their options, and they don't have as much freedom over secondary stats.

A Cleric, for example, could easily go for strength, dex, or Con in addition to Wisdom. If they hang back and mostly use buffs, they may even have points free to serve as the face or main Int guy.

A Monk currently can't really afford to invest in Strength, Int or Cha and mix things up. They have to be one of a few races to get that and can't mix things up. They have to use their ASIs for maxing dex and wis and can't mix things up.

A choice of fighting style to five some extra damage or survivability as well as an extra ASI or two would go a long way to giving them more variety in where to put things.
>>
File: UA_Fighter.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
UA_Fighter.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50546205
why not just upload it you goof
>>
Is it worth it for my rogue to dip into fighter for one level to get the two weapon fighting feature and action surge? I intend to make him a swashbuckler for a pirate-themed campaign.
>>
Does anyone else have a problem with a DM who insists on handling every single non-combat action as a skill challenge?

>be in large town
>the DM asks us to take turns saying what we're doing in town
>No matter what anyone says, he asks us to roll something
>I go first. just want to buy arrows
>"Roll Investigation."
>I roll poorly.
>town has no arrows in it
>Same happens to everyone else who tries to go shopping. Only one player succeeded on finding a place that sells rations
>The last player to take a turn has caught wise to what's going on. She also just wants to buy rations and says she's going to the same place the other PC went to.
>"Roll Investigation."
>"I can't just ask the other player where he found that store?"
>"Roll Investigation."
>She rolls poorly.
>"Uh, they're sold out."

It's like a fucking King's Quest game.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-04-26.png (370KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-04-26.png
370KB, 640x360px
>>50546258
>two magic arrows per rest
>>
>>50546274
lol
>Does anyone else
No, thank fuck we're not totally insane people
>>
>>50546214
>Samurai
they actually did it
>>
>>50546060
>>50546073
>>50546093
>>50546096
ahhh right. i've learned this before but had forgotten. it's confusing to me how the dm guide tells you to use experience totals to figure out encounter difficulty rather than challenge ratings.

since experience yields are directly related to challenge ratings i feel like it's needlessly complicated. the challenge ratings are much simpler.

thanks for the reminder yall.

>>50546105
>>50546106
i usually dm sandbox style campaigns. it's easy to use milestones for a more linear campaign but when your players are free to just dick around it's nice to give specific rewards for specific tasks. if i just gave out levels when it felt natural it would make it hard to reward them for being overly efficient or inefficient.

if they push a large boulder onto a giant they could circumvent a battle that would normally take half an hour. they could also spend hours being annoying shits while slowly accumulating a surprising amount of experience.
>>
>>50546205
>http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/2016_Fighter_UA_1205_1.pdf

>The Knight has 4e Marking

Let the wailing of autists commence.
>>
File: 1468473008654.png (47KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1468473008654.png
47KB, 200x200px
Sharpshooter looks neat
>>
>>50546283
Shits, didn't mean to quote
>>
File: encounterpowers.png (12KB, 326x100px) Image search: [Google]
encounterpowers.png
12KB, 326x100px
Is this the first encounter power in 5e? I feel like I've seen it before.
>>
>>50546214
>Beguiling Arrow

CUPID UP IN THIS BITCH!!
>>
File: archer_by_i_guyjin_i-d6x7x80.jpg (209KB, 925x1450px) Image search: [Google]
archer_by_i_guyjin_i-d6x7x80.jpg
209KB, 925x1450px
>>50546214
>>50546205

only the ranged ones seem not shit to me at first glance
>>
>>50546283
>hey this class looks pretty cool it's like a battlemaster but with a wider range of effects that don't all function the same
>two uses
So
A Warlock with worse spells
>>
>>50546205
>>50546214
Seem pretty straightforward and simple overall, but decently strong. More skills is always nice, and I like the Knight being able to defend properly, but I get the feeling these are going to be hated for being either too simple or too complex.
>>
>>50546328
There are some that trigger on initiative rolls
>>
>Every single archetype gains skill proficiencies
Literally why
>Samurai is moronically OP as a dip
At least nobody is surprised

>>50546333
>3 rounds of every battle, gain advantage on all attacks and resistance to all physical damage
Doesn't sound very shit to me
>>
>>50546308
3 times per short rest. What a travesty.
>>
Fighter's actually out
>>
>>50546360
I don't want to be a weaboo though
>>
>>50546362
>Reading comprehension
It only gets +tons of damage on special AoO 3 times per short rest. It marks all day every day.
>>
>>50546358
Other than restoring Ki/sup dice?
>>
>>50546360
>Doesn't sound shot to me

It didn't to me either at first, but then you remember Barbarian exists for easy advantage and resistance
>>
>>50546380
So play Captain America
>>
>>50546297
20th level samurai can make 16 attacks with action surge rapid strike and its free advantage
>>
>the DC on escaping a Grasping Arrow unharmed is 10
LOL
>>
>>50546380
>I don't want to be a weaboo though
He said, on an anime image board.

>>50546414
Rapid Strike costs bonus action, friend.
>>
>>50546214
>samurai
weebs having a field day
>>
Piercing Arrow seems cool.

Could you use it with the Sharpshooter feat?
>>
No one asked for it but these are my first impressions.

>Arcane Archer
Seems kinda ok, not too great and not too shit. If I sat down to consider multiclassing with it I'm sure it'd have a lot of use.

>Knight
Do I even need it to say it? This is the best one by far.

>Samurai
3 level dip and you're done.

>Sharpshooter
Oh baby, this with the UA Ranger(Revised) is gonna have a lot of cool combos.
>>
>>50546333
Knight's Hold the Line looks pretty helpful, basically the ol' Sentinel-Polearm Master, but limited to short-range.

>>50546426
It's meant for grasping infants and small animals.
>>
>>50546426
>Otherwise,the brambles last for 1 minute

>>50546439
I can't remember the last chinese cartoon i watched all the way through
>>
>>50546214

Knight seems a little too strong for me if you're going into a boss-battle.
>>
They have two arrows per rest and never gain more, only regain one after each fight later...

Oh, and they only know two arcane shots, and never learn more than that?
>>
>>50546343
The problem, as with all the Fighter archetypes except maybe EK, is that the features are too easily expended for simple combat benefits and anything that enables you to really spam or do more than "hit things slightly better a few times" is so late in the game that you'll never get it.

Arcane Archer isn't a guy with magical bow powers, he's a guy with a box that summons two magical arrows every hour it sits in one place and hums away. Summoning more non-magical arrows is pointless and the class is restricted to bows (not crossbows) for no good reason so I expect most people to fluff that out if they want.

Knight isn't about being good on a mount, it's about not getting your ass kicked immediately upon falling off. Where's the feature that actually lets you do more impressive shit while on a horse, or do something that other mounted players cannot? Skill ribbons suck.
The Marking is always active and therefore useful, though.

Samurai is a three level archetype. That's it.

Sharpshooter
>instead of taking four levels and using an ASI to get Sharpshooter, take three Fighter levels and an archetype to get Sharpshooter

Three of these archetypes have Rapid Strikes, and while that's cool and would always be useful since it has no per-rest limits, it's LEVEL FUCKING 15 so it's just not going to come up in normal play.

This martial archetype shit really needs to be condensed down to 10 levels. Come up with more wacky bullshit for 11-20.
>>
>>50546426
It does take an action to remove, so it does still cost them something.

I would say the best combo of arrows to get is piercing/bursting for the AoE factor, along with either one of the defense/debilitating arrows.

Alternatively, take Seeking as a dip, go into Assassin. Enjoy really silly sneak attacks.
>>
>>50546492
Please reread the whole thing and then come back.
>>
>TWO (2) new archetypes that make Fighter better than Ranger at ranged combat

They can't keep getting away with this
>>
>>50546439
>He said, on an anime image board.
So what, I follow a few dozen manga series and animes and I wouldn't play a samurai either, unless the campaign was specifically set in not!Japan.
>>
>>50546520
Fuck, that line hiding at the top of the page's second column (also I'm mildly drunk)
>>
>>50546527
But the first three archetypes also made Fighters better ranged combatants than Ranger.
>>
>>50546527
The fighter SHOULD be able to be better than the ranger at ranged combat (word similarities aside). The ranger has a variety of exploration and utility features; the fighter only has combat.
Next you'll be complaining the fighter is better than the paladin at using a shield.
>>
>allow a Paladin to take TWF fighting style but not smite on their off-hand
Deal?
>>
>>50546587
no deal. sword and board only.
>>
>Arcane Archer can't even cast Flame Arrows
>Conjured ammunition doesn't even count as magic to bypass resistance
>>
>>50546496
>being good on a mount
Yes well imo this wouldn't have been a good choice. The game is called DUNGEONS & Dragons for a reason, and mounted focuses classes tend to suck fucking dicks and force you to play small characters not to become the equivalent of a fallen paladin.
>>
>>50546547
>the archetype is called SAMURAI so it literally has to be a guy from Kara-Tur with a katana
Y'all niggas need imagination like >>50546063
>>
Hey guys what makes sense for someone born in the Shadowfell; Sorceror powers derived from it's natural gloom, or Warlock powers from a pact from an entity in it?
>>
File: frimelda.jpg (27KB, 299x550px) Image search: [Google]
frimelda.jpg
27KB, 299x550px
>>50546597

say that to my face faggot not online see what happens
>>
>>50546613
shadasorx
>>
>>50546606
The last three times I've been in a dungeon it's never had any spot I couldn't have ridden a mount around in for combat. A few places to climb or sneak through, but there are means of getting a horse up a cliff or through a hole.
>>
>>50546587
If you want to be a TWF Paladin, just do so already. You can take Defense so you won't miss a shield as much, and lacking the extra 3 damage on your offhand barely matters when you have Smites.

Heck, Paladins might even be better at TWF in the lategame, since their level 11 damage improvement would probably apply unless I'm forgetting something about the wording.
>>
File: 1450017172683.jpg (159KB, 546x813px) Image search: [Google]
1450017172683.jpg
159KB, 546x813px
>Samurai, 3/short rest (never more
>Resistance to basic physical damage, advantage on weapon attacks, eats bonus action so no GWM shenanigans
>Barbarian, 2 (scaling)/long rest
>Resistance to nonmagical physical damage, advantage on strength checks, bonus damage on hit, additional effects from archetype, Reckless Attack lets you get easy advantage with a bit of cost, takes one bonus action but lasts a minute
I don't think it's absurd, guys. Sounds fun though.
I actually want to use it to portray a pious crusader-type warrior who couldn't cut it in a paladin circle.
>>
>>50546632
What if your mount is a spider?
>>
>>50546562
Noncombat abilities are largely useless (unless they strongly affect past or future combats, like out-of-combat healing/resurrection, or encounter-skipping spells like Wind Walk.) Useless abilities shouldn't factor into how powerful something is. Fighters and rangers should be roughly equally good at combat, but in different ways.
>>
>>50546105
Personally i just track the players XP in a spreadsheet and tell them. It helps me personally get a good idea of when to let them level without tge hassle for them. I also dont luke milestones because i think it devalues "side quests" and other activities they can get XP from.
>>
>>50546610
My favorite thing about the 3.5 Complete Warrior was how they described the samurai in completely non-oriental terms and used a typical dwarf as the example.
The class was complete shit, but it was surprisingly non-weeblike.
>>
>>50546668
If the players are doing sidequests, the milestones come faster.
>>
>Bursting arrow
does that mean the original target takes 4d6 damage?
>>
>>50546667
>Noncombat abilities are largely useless

You have an objectively shit DM
>>
>>50546648
Yeah, it is pretty nice for a Willpower focused fighter.

I just wish there was a bit more substance here, or at least more effort to try and link features together.
>>
>>50546667
>Rangers get more/better skills, advantage against various enemies, and spells
>Should be equal to fighter in combat
Sorry, I simply disagree with you.
>>
>>50546654
Spiders are banned in our campaigns because the Rogue's player has arachnaphobia irl
>>
>>50546641
Fuck, you're right. I'll have to consider this when I make my first Eladrin character.

>I m p r o v e d D i v i n e S m i t e
>By 11th level, you are so suffused with righteous
>might that all your m elee w eapon strikes carry divine
>pow er with them. W henever you hit a creature with a
>melee weapon, the creature takes an extra 1d8 radiant
>damage. If you also use your Divine Sm ite with an
>attack, you add this damage to the extra damage o f your
>Divine Smite.
>>
>>50546667
You have an absolutely terrible DM anon

I'm sorry you're playing a combat simulation instead of a roleplaying game
>>
>>50546648
>inducted into sacred order of paladins
>fall while celebrating the night after graduation
>nobody will teach you after that
>you live on in history only as the paladin who took the least amount of time to fuck up
>>
>>50546702
tfw the ranger in my group never uses his spells and only wants to be Legolas

yet he didn't go bow fighter like I told him to
>>
These new archetypes make me wanna cry.
>>
>>50546724
Tears of joy?
>>
>>50546703
Alright, what about a monkey mount?
>>
>>50546615
This bitch was so cool. 10/10 waifu who protects you while she fucking murders every enemy.
>>
>>50546632
You've gone through three dungeons in a row without human sized inside doors, or narrow corridors and stairs (remember a horse is a large creature)? Look anon, no point arguing this shit really, let's just say that I never went through a dungeon where a horse wouldn't be a fucking hindrance.
>>
>>50546703
When our rogue player had arachnophobia IRL I made a point of putting spiders in the campaign.
Then again, she was my girlfriend, so I was obligated to mess with her at the game table.

>>50546723
>Legolas was a fighter
>Aragorn was a ranger
People need to fucking get this already.
>>
>>50546682
I mean the problem Ive had in the past is im too generous with levels and ive had parties level up way too quickly as a result so using XP privately helps me with that. The players for all they know are using milestone xp in my games.
>>
>>50546723
Legolas is objectively a bow fighter

Aragorn was the ranger
>>
Are magic arrows really so powerful that they couldn't have made them scale? Even as much as EK's first level slots (3 at 4th, 4 at 7th)?
>>
>>50546704
Yeah, so TWF Paladin starts off weaker, but eventually makes up for it. A single dip in Fighter and they'll excel in the area.

Great for an Oath of Ancients for thematics or an Oath of Vengeance that wants more smite reliability.
>>
>>50546737
No. They're terrible. Especially Arcane Archer. They sound absolutely awful to play.
>>
File: thumb-up-terminator.jpg (44KB, 500x406px) Image search: [Google]
thumb-up-terminator.jpg
44KB, 500x406px
>>50546755
>>50546768
>>50546723
>>
>>50546722
Possibly. Maybe take a couple level dip (or Magic Initiate) war cleric. High wis and not awful cha, but he was always too brash and never got that divine blessing and then couldn't cut his way through paladin training.
So, he's just going by own his own willpower to bring justice and happiness to people without a damn oath over his head and stick up his arse.
Maybe he could take levels in Ancients paladin if the story somehow delivers him to one.
>>
>>50546626

Done and done.
>>
>>50546283
>>50546336
Did you miss the part where it gains more uses at the levels a Battle Master gains more superiority dice?
>>
>>50546770
The damage gets better if you use the multi-target arrows, but even then it's not great. It feels like it'd really lag behind a Battle Master or Eldritch knight.

I think it just needs to scale up and get extra arrows at certain points. Either that or give it the Flame arrow spell on limited usage so they still have a source of damage outside the arcane shots.
>>
>>50546839
You learn a new "arcane shot" (maneuver) on those levels, not another use (superiority die).
>>
>Arcane Archer
Shit, 2 per day? battlemaster like with 2 expertise die? fuck off
>Knight
Mark stronk
Also, am I reading it wrong or you basically have 3 extra reactions per short rest for the purpose of that attack as long as you don't make 2 per turn? holy shit
Best tank so far
>Samurai
It's ok
I think knight hype has ruined any other subclass
>Sharpshooter
Well, thanks to this subclass bows and non hand crossbows are powerful again
>>
>>50546839
You don't though. You get more options for special effects, but it's only ever 2 arrows and 1 refreshing after a minute.
>>
>>50546874
>2 per day
Reading comprehension, son
>>
>>50546899
>he actually believes he's going to play high levels
Pffhahahahahaha...sorry...pfhahahahahaha

Lets be realistic, 2 per day, that's it
>>
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

THE ARCANE ARCHER HAS 2 USES OF ARCANE ARROW PER SHORT REST, AND GAINS NEW OPTIONS AS HE LEVELS UP. AT 15TH LEVEL, HE GAINS AN ADDITIONAL USE A MINUTE AFTER USING HIS LAST ONE.

NOW GET SOME READING COMPREHENSION SKILLS AND STOP BITCHING ABOUT THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE.
>>
>>50546925
It's per short rest, not day, it's shit though.
>>
>>50546925
It refreshes on a short rest regardless of the high level feature.

That's why you're retarded.
>>
>>50546932
>REEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>50546446
Yes, just like you can with horder breaker and volley with hunter ranger.
>>
>>50546932
>AT 15TH LEVEL
15th level? what's that, game clearly ends at 11th-12th

>>50546946
This, is per short rest, so 4 uses per day at best
>>
>>50546648
>basic
>nonmagical
Where are those additions from? It just says you have resistance to bld, prc and sls damage, not "from non-magical weapons" or anything like that, and idk what "basic" is.
>>
>>50546932
>15th level

implying anyone makes it here
>>
>>50545844
Love the Arcane Archer and the Knight. Sharpshooter and Samurai are pretty meh. Arcane Archer should start with two arrows and gain additional each time it gets extra attack. 7lvl feature giving skill prof is dumb and lvl 15 that is for everyone is stupid, archetypes should get their own fun and unique suff
>>
>>50546959
Yes. A short rest is a day.
Or do you have a fucking unicorn for a DM who runs sessions where you fight two goblins, walk around, fight two more goblins, walk around, beat up a handful of orcs, take a short rest, walk around, trounce some skeletons, keep exploring, spot the cultists' lieutenant and chump him, sneak some more, spot the big bad, decide to hole up in a Leomund's Tiny Hut or Rope Trick for eight hours?
>>
>>50546959
>He thinks he's going to get short rests
Maybe at night, during 8 hours.
>>
>>50546974
Get fucked, my current game is there and going to 20.
>>
>>50546970
Closer to 6, I'd say, but that's hardly any better. It's still gonna be one per fight only if you're lucky.
>>
>Other DM's don't have five minute short rests

...Why? Genuinely curious, what does it add to the game to make short rests taken an hour?
>>
Yesterday I was going to ask if 5e had an arcane archer equivalent

Guess I wished on a monkeys paw for that one. What trash
>>
>>50546999
You fool no one, Satan, just because you post from Australia your posts aren't more beliveable.
>>
>>50546974
>>50546999
also chiming in. Just finished a campaign at 16th level. Lost a few players due to life changes but high-ish level campaigns are not unrealistic.
>>
>>50546874
>Shit, 2 per day? battlemaster like with 2 expertise die? fuck off
Two per short/long rest.
>Also, am I reading it wrong or you basically have 3 extra reactions per short rest for the purpose of that attack as long as you don't make 2 per turn?
It's great but not that surprising. The Tunnel Fighter Fighting Style allows you to make AoO without using a reaction.
>>
File: 1480757501480-tg.png (152KB, 335x525px) Image search: [Google]
1480757501480-tg.png
152KB, 335x525px
>>50547016
>short rests take 5 minutes
>everyone rolls a warlock
>unlimited spells
>heal after every fight
>>
>>50546999
>they started at level 13
>he doesn't know Jeff is going to miss the next two sessions because he's starting a new schedule at work and is real tired / forgot the times
>and immediately after Jeff is ready for a session again, Anthony is sick
>and next week Dave is out of state
>when Dave's back, Greg's new girlfriend is a bitch and doesn't want him hanging out with you guys and looking at elf tits
>>
>>50546925
>>50546874
>>50546492

See >>50546932
>>
>>50546990
>>50546993
>Muh gritty rest variant

I use it too, but make it clear to start with instead of moving the goalposts.

And it also makes the high level feature a lot better.
>>
>>50546932
>short rests
>le encounters per day meme
>level 15
hahahaha
AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>50547026
>>50547043
I'm the DM and none of my players are that unreliable. They started at level 3 and have been through one 3-20 campaign with me already.

Get some better players.
>>
>>50547016
I've been thinking of making short rests 20 or 30 minutes long.
My players seem reluctant to sit down for a whole hour to get some HP and skills back.
>>
>>50547021
Look up Martial Archetypes Classics Return on the DM's Guild, iirc that Arcane Archer was decent
>>
>>50547050
>Muh gritty
No? long rests are 8 hours, short rests are 1 hour, the problem is that we don't have 1 hour to rest during the day, that's why we basically only have short rests on the long rest
>>
>>50547016
>five minute short rests

If you were my GM I'd play a battlemaster warlock and make you cry.

Thats fucking stupid anon. Do we really need to explain why five minute short rests are fucking stupid?
>>
>>50547016
I personally prefer 8 hour short rests. Prevents Wizards cheesing things as much, and I scale the number of encounters to fit that pacing better.

If it's a couple days to the dungeon, I can have encounters on the road actually matter and be part of the 6-9 encounters per 'day' and then have the dungeon itself be 3 or so encounters.
>>
>>50546750
Squeezing rules. Now if you come across a halfling sized door you'll struggle.

My cavalier style ranger character is using an axebeak*, bipedal birds are a hell of a lot more maneuverable than a horse, so any of the tricky situations that a horse might struggle with, he can get through especially since I gave it Athletics and Acrobatics just to be safe.

We Chocobo now.

*DM approved the large companion exemption.
>>
>>50547048
That doesn't disprove any of the posts
15 level games are nearly non existant
Having no short rest at all is pretty much the norm in every game I have been, sometimes you have 1 or 2, but that's the minority, I assume the same for the first anon
>>
>>50547072
>I have a bad DM

You could have just said so
>>
>>50547068
30 min is okay desu, not significantly different from an hour in terms of in-game logic, but sounds less daunting to players, and thematically feels more like a lunch-break than naptime
>>
File: 1461709171751.jpg (105KB, 600x517px) Image search: [Google]
1461709171751.jpg
105KB, 600x517px
Now that we've seen the archetypes, good or bad, what changes would you make to level the playing field and make them more fun to use?

>Arcane Archer
Remove Archer's lore and give them spells per level, then add on the ability to consume spell slots in exchange for making a magic arrow as a bonus action. Done and done.

>Knight
Remove Rapid Strike, he doesn't need it at all and makes more sense as a Samurai only feature.

>Samurai
Not entirely sure how to fix this one, maybe make Rapid Strike show up earlier at level 7?

>Sharpshooter
This one doesn't need fixing, pretty good as is.
>>
>>50547102
>Having no short rest at all is pretty much the norm in every game I have been
Sure sounds like a lot of DMs never bothered to read the game's balance assumptions.
>>
Why the fuck do the Knight and the Samurai get the exact same 15th level feature? Did they get too lazy to make a better fit for the Samurai?
>>
>>50547102
It does disprove the bit about not learning more shots

they have 3 at 7th, 4 at 10th, 5 at 15th and 6 at 18th

There are 8 options available
>>
>>50547041
Warlocks still wouldn't be good.
>>
File: thumbs up tomato.gif (511KB, 409x226px) Image search: [Google]
thumbs up tomato.gif
511KB, 409x226px
All of these fighter options are pretty good. Wizards has been doing good with these weekly UAs. I look forward to next week's monk to see what new takes they do.
>>
>>50547142
Sharpshooter also has it.

Looks like they thought up some new thing and decided to plop it on everybody.
>>
>Arcane Archer
I like this class a lot in theory. The Arcane Shots are nice utilities, but the fact that you don't get more uses of the arrow until level 15 makes it too weak when compared to the other Fighter Archetypes.
>Knight
I've never really used mounts in any game I've played so I can't say much about Born to Saddle. Implacable Mark is fantastic though.
>Samurai
I don't see any reason to go into this class past level 3. Fighting Spirit is really the only useful ability here, but it's a great one, and good to combo with a Rogue for free advantage on sneak attacks, especially if you take the sharpshooter feat.
>Sharpshooter
Great archetype if you're playing a pure archer. However, I can't really see a situation where I'd actually choose it over other classes/archetypes.
>>
>>50547102
>>50547059
>>50546974
>>50546970
>15 level games are nearly non existant
Funny, the first game I played went to 15th level
Maybe y'all just need a better group
>>
>>50547116
Also I'm bad, didn't notice Sharpshooter also got Rapid Strike.

I don't really know what to add on instead of it.
>>
>>50547091
How does an eight hour SHORT rest prevent Wizard cheese specifically?

Is Wizard cheese that much of an issue in your group, you're the DM. A short rest is meant to be a break, while a long rest is meant to signify the end of an adventuring day, setting out camp, going to sleep, etc.

How long are your long rests exactly?
>>
Bread anon here, I got some details off of my late friend/
I'm making a new bbeg for a level 12-10 party of 6, intending for the campaign to go on longer.
Does a god-king from another planet/plane cursed by several other god like forces for his Hubris, now seeks vengeance against said entities by traversing planes with an army and wiping them clean, with the ultimate goal of finding the gods that cursed him, and killing them. The party can learn more about him with every prominent mutary figure they kill/interrogate,(he has 5 generals, each with 2 commanders)
Sorry if it doesn't sound very good, I'm quite new to this.
I'll be running a lost mines of Philadelphia campaign first to get a feel for dming, then move back to the main campaign with the characters from the campaign.
Any tips for dming?
>>
>>50547116
just give them additional arrow for every extra attack
>>
>>50547050
Neither of those guys were talking about "gritty realism rest variants".

D&D 5E was balanced with the old dungeon crawl in mind.
You go into a cave or a castle, you fight three guys, walk into the next room, and fight three more guys. Combat is resolved in two turns each time. You sneak ahead and see some ogres in the next room, and debate whether you short rest now or after. Either way, you're taking a short rest in about three encounters, which happens 20-35 minutes into your session.

This process repeats twice more in the dungeon and maybe the DM has some gnolls interrupt you during one of your rests, but there's no patrolling guards (or you use spells to get around them) or restocking enemies. You fight a sub-boss, expend a lot of shit, and decide to long rest for eight hours in a pocket plane, because if you rest in the open you will get spotted and reinforcements come out of nowhere. However, since you are hidden, no one is going to bother reinforcing all the guys you killed or even change up their plans because they noticed 90% of the dungeon has had its occupants replaced with bloodstains. Then you fight the actual boss.

Session stats: three hours total, three short rests, one long rest.
>>
>>50547161
>Warlocks
>Not good
Are you sure you're playing 5e?
>>
>>50547083
Even if you gave Battlemasters all their dice back every combat, it wouldn't break the game.
>>
>>50547183
Funny, for every poll wotc makes everytime says the average game ends at 11th-12th game, add that to all my game experience and my friend's game experience and I can conclude that yep, 15th level games are nearly non existant.
>>
>>50547195
Whatever happened with the kitsune? If you talked about it I missed the thread.
>>
>>50547200
>>50547050
IN REALITY
You walk into a cave or a castle. The enemies of three rooms fight you at once no matter how sneaky you're being because they're literally separated by 10 feet of hallway with no doors and really being sneaky in this case involves spending spell resources. This takes 50 minutes if everyone knows what they're doing. You need a short rest after this, but you have to go outside to do it.

You come back in and repeat this process once more, chancing a short rest in a locked room off in the corner. The DM reminds you that you're on a time constraint, not just within the dungeon, but with the overarching plot of the the module / campaign. You wonder about long resting so the casters can do their things at full strength, since some of those fights were real tough and they had to spend resources, but no, you decide against that.

You beat the boss either by the skin of your teeth or through cheesing some bullshit, collect your loot, and leave. As everyone is settling down for their long rest, it's time for the session to end and "we'll pick up from here next week".

Session stats: one or MAYBE two short rests, one long rest that happens between sessions.
>>
>>50547142
>>50547171
>forgo advantage on ONE attack to make one additional attack as a bonus action
If I understood completely. No dual wielding. So, if you have extra attack, you can make one of those attacks with advantage, another one forgoing advantage, and then a bonus attack without advantage too. So you have the option of 2 attacks with 4 chances to hit, or 3 attacks with 4 chances to hit.
>>
>>50547161
>only caster that recharges all spells on short rest unlimited times
>free short rests

gee I can't possibly see what would make them powerful
not like they can't just 10d6 fireball everything
>>
>>50547202
Warlocks spam eldritch blast and maybe one or two other cantrips. What keeps warlocks from being wizard and cleric level is their dumb spell management.
>>
My group was lead by a DM who has horrible time management, two players who are completely unreliable, and one dude who volunteers for a local boy scout troop and just randomly disapeers every other fucking weekend saying "sorry can't make it".

I ended up taking over as DM because our DM was just overloaded between writing his thesis and a book at the same time, and couldn't handle the planning. Now nobody can show up. I don't even know who else to bring to my group, and these guys are friends who would be pissed to hell if I ditched them. Should I be clear that I need them to actually fucking come or I'm going to find another group, despite them being longtime friends, or just continue suffering and not abandon people i've known for 20+ years?
>>
Please explain why higher level campaigns are rarer than low lvl ones. Don't people just play until they eventualy hit 20?
Or do they just start a whole new campaign at some point and roll a lower level characters than they had before? Why not start the new characters at the previous ones' levels?
I'm new to this shit.
>>
I've always considered Short Rests to be 1 to 6 hours depending on the situation, and a long rest being at least 8 (like a night's sleep).
>>
>>50547187
The variant in the DMG. 1 week long rest.

That mainly means you can't use Tiny Hut or Rope Trick to get all your spells back, though you can use it to ensure a safe short rest.

It also makes the Wizard stopping and begging for a long rest less feasbile, since they have to return to town and burn an entire week.
>>
>>50547266
>It also makes the Wizard stopping and begging for a long rest less feasbile, since they have to return to town and burn an entire week.
Right. Hope you like them just tossing firebolt all fucking day.
>>
>1 foot
Why is that in the UA, why not use five foot increments like any other time?
>>
>>50547266
Hate those rules, those kill non broken (and actually behind the curve) classes like monks and warlocks. Specially monks who need to spend ki to be good and survive in combat.
>>
>>50547260
Most people suck at time management and can't keep a group together long enough to start at low level and play all the way to level 20.

I have the right combination of people with stable job schedules and people with no lives that I can actually run a game that long.
>>
>>50546283
You must've tagged my post by mistake?
>>
>>50547289
>he doesn't use two foot hexes
Trash person
>>
>>50547223
>AVERAGE is 11-12
>me and my friend said so ha im right
damn you got me
>>
>>50547260
>Please explain why higher level campaigns are rarer than low lvl ones. Don't people just play until they eventualy hit 20?
Games tend to frequently dissipate for various reasons far before reaching such a point. Interest wanes (in the characters, the world, the system, the IRL party, RPGing, whatever), characters are "concluded" so they want to end it there, people have to leave for life reasons, etc.
>>
>>50547289
>move 0.9999999999999999999999999 feet
>shit eating grin at the knight
Problem?
>>
>>50547260
A)
Players roll characters they want to play right now, flavour of the month kind of shit, the new thing they discovered that was cool and they wanted to try out, not what they know they want to play, so they get bored when they aren't progressing fast enough and just want to play something else because they're onto the next "cool build idea", when they should be creating a character they like that they can get involved with, so they can stay interested since there is more than just mechanics pushing them to continue playing the game.

B)
Groups fall apart because players don't make sessions consistently, and so when they do meet up they don't really remember much about the previous sessions, and so they don't really care or understand whats going on, so they roll new characters, creating a vicious cycle of going from levels 1-3 to 6-8 before starting over again.
>>
>the level 7s for pretty much all these archetypes are "you get two skill profs :DDDD"

Meanwhile EKnight gets cantrip + attack and paladins get shit like immunity to charm or half spell damage at level 7
>>
>knight
>oh nice mark ability
>targets inmune to frightened are inmune to the mark

why

Killed the archetype for me desu
>>
>>50547259

Sounds like you already know what to do anon. Good luck!
>>
>>50547116
I actually kind of like that Arcane Archer doesn't have spell slots. Gives some flexibility in case you want to take magic initiate or multi class to decide what kind of arcane it is, so to speak.

I do think more uses are necessary though, or at least adding something extra so they can keep shooting magic outside of those.
>>
>>50547259
it just sounds like your group isnt DnD ready at the moment
let their lives calm down first
also if they arent reliable, how could they expect you to be?
do whatever you feel like, dont let them hold you back
>>
>>50547331
Any ideas how I can get my party organized then?
>>
>>50547254
>30 average damage
So scary.

But lets approach this mathematically: At level 10 a warlock can cast 2 5th level spells per short rest. At level 10 a Wizard can cast 15 spells a day, plus 5 flexible spell slots.

Assuming 6 encounters for the day, a warlock will cast 12 spells. They will all be of 5th level, but only 2 per fight. The wizard will still be casting between 15 and 20 spells per day.

Remember that there are plenty of spells where the slot level has minimal impact on the strength of the spell. Advantage still goes to Wizard.
>>
>>50547324
um, because it's a psychological effect. You're tricking the enemy into thinking you're the most important target to take down even though you're not and they should really be killing the cleric or wizard first.
>>
>>50547306
>Personal experience is only valid when I use it
>Hundred polls are never valid for me
Wew lad
>>
>>50547306
Not him but

>literally first sentence says that WOTC polls back his statement

please stop posting
>>
>>50547298
They're still fighting the same number of encounters between short rests.

Think of it this way, if a normal adventuring day is 9 encounters, broken into 3 with short rests, then that's 3 fights to use your short rest resources on.

If a short rest is 8 hours, and you have 3 fights per day, nothing changes, except spells with durations that expect a full day aren't as useful.
>>
>>50547223
I will laugh so hard when 6e comes out and they scale the entire game down to 1-10, then people start only playing to level 5.
>>
>>50547226
I don't know if you heard, but my dm and longtime friend died of heart failure at 21 years old this past Friday, one day before the session was to take place.
His parents asked me to collect personal effects and computer from his apartment , so I took the liberty of taking his campaign notes and charts off of his computer (also deleting his porn)
I ended up marrying g the kitsune after the ball, our date went well
(In his notes he stated we were to get married after that, as it was the kitsune twin sister that killed my parents)
In our last session he gave my pc anenchanted set of wedding rings from the goddess of love herself that allows you a d your marriage partner to have each other's highest stats ( my pc goes from 10 int to 24 int, and my fox we goes from 12 str to 24 str)
So we got married at least
Any dm tips though?
>>
Arcane archer, variant human with 16 dex and sharpshooter at 1

Magic arrow + piercing arrow + sharpshooter

d8+2d6+10+3 in a 30 foot long line

level 3 fireball

B A L A N C E D
A
L
A
N
C
E
D
>>
>>50547333
Maybe something like a mix between EK and Paladin.

Make it a third-caster like the paladin, but it gets some sort of pseudo-smite, where you use up your bonus action to enhance your weapon with magical energy or some bullshit like that. Use up a spell slot, get one smite except it has force damage. Doesn't conflict with your casting, and lets you enhance arrows as well as weapons, however unlike paladin you only get one "arcane smite" per turn.
>>
>>50547275
See >>50547379

If they blew all their spell slots on the first couple fights anyway, then they were going to be tossing firebolt for all the others anyway.
>>
>>50547402
The bane of congalines everywhere
>>
>>50547116
>Arcane archer
I think this is horribly designed, they should have just revised eldrich knight and said "Eldrich knights with longbows work great as Arcane Archers from days of old." This entire thing is ill designed cancer. I mean look at the "Barbed Arrow", they didn't specify if moving with brambles on leaves the brambles on the character or not, just they take damage for moving a foot. What after that? Do they take the damage if they move again next turn? or do they take 2d6 damage EVERY time they move 1ft, "I'll just move towards you now." "Okay, take 40d6 damage.". The most enraging part is they FUCKING HAVE AN ABILITY FOR SHOOTING ARROWS THAT TIE PEOPLE UP. It's a fucking ranger spell! They ALREADY HAVE THIS SHIT.

Hell, have them be fucking arcana archers that can cast Thunderous smite, Searing smite and Restraining strike a few times a day but only using a longbow. Boom you have a knock back arrow, a flame arrow and a snare arrow THAT ALL ALREADY EXIST WITHOUT ADDING SHIT.

>Knight
Wow, they made a knight that gets punished for using a lance. Good job. Rapid strike is stupid as shit, get rid of it. Everything else is kind of cool for the defender tank fighter, we 4e now. Too many overlaps with Sentinel and shit that has bonus damage for some reason so they can justify "Only use 3 times.". Just let them be AoE walls of steel. Again, punished for being mounted on a horse wielding a lance. Swift strike is retarded.

>Samurai
I kind of like the "Focus for a moment to boost defenses and make an accurate attack floruish." which funnily enough, makes you a better archer than the Sharpshooter. Unbreakable will is nice, I like it. SbD is stupid anime shit, you get hit by the dragon, freeze time and immediate counter, Or just immediately run away and drink your potions/second wind. But hey, level 18 ability so who cares. Swift strike is retarded.

>Sharpshooter
They can spend a bonus action for a bit more damage. They can shoot in melee... Yay?
>>
>>50545844
Hey guys, sorry if there's a better thread for this but I didn't see one. It's going to be my turn to DM for my /5e/ group in a few weeks and I was thinking of throwing them in the classic tesseract dungeon (just 1 not the hypercube) and I've been having a difficult time coming up with a way to map it in roll20 that doesn't look super confusing. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to map this and/or monster types? I was thinking either illithids or far-realm creatures.
>>
>>50547393
...holy shit, dude. I'm so sorry to hear that.

I've been DMing for 18 years now, and I will absolutely give you any sort of advice you want. Do you want to set up some sort of chat?

Also, I can't believe my dumb date suggestion ended up panning out so perfectly, because I was sincerely trolling when I first posted it.
>>
>>50547413
>Blew all their spells
A wizard only needs to cast about 2 spells per fight, really. The issue is that they pretty much can't use their arcane recovery feature and that encounters are designed for them to be spending about that many spells per fight.
>>
>>50547195
>lost mines of Philadelphia
made me laugh.
>>
>>50547379
Monk has to spend ki to be almost as good as a fighter, ranger, paladin, rogue or a barbarian WITHOUT spending their resources, why? because damn feats.

Rogue can disengage/dash at will without affecting their damage (which is as high as a monk spending ki to make 4 attacks all day erreday). Monk needs Ki to compete, and needs 2 short rests at least per day
>>
>>50547436
Arcane Archer probably would have worked a lot better as Bonus action spells akin to the Paladin smite spells, but exclusive to Eldritch Knight
>>
>>50547457
That's pretty old, same with Tranny of the dragon queer
>>
>>50547379
What about
>Hit Dice
>Ki
>Superiority Dice
>Warlocks actually fucking using spells at all

Or basically any contingency for a difficult or simply unlucky fight? This isn't gritty realism, this is just DM needing to handicap players to challenge them.
>>
>>50547195
>lost mines of Philadelphia
>>
>>50547441
Yeah if you post an email Id appreciate that. My group is relying on me to take up his mantle and the only thing I've ever dm'ed was a drunk 3.5 game
>>
File: 1480900714749.jpg (232KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1480900714749.jpg
232KB, 1024x768px
I got inspiration for a GOOlock, Hermit background for Discovery trait, Patron is a giant automaton god similar to Numidium/Big Venus.
>>
>>50547436
>being this mad
Fuck off back to /pfg/ if you need 10000 options to be pleased with one
>>
File: Orcus.png (4MB, 870x2370px) Image search: [Google]
Orcus.png
4MB, 870x2370px
>>50547195
No but seriously, a deadly encounter for that group is CR 15-20. Could be more for an ultimate BBEG. Characters in that CR group include spellcasting vampires like Strahd, gargantuan dragons, and liches.

Empyreans (CR 23) might be closest to what you' re thinking of. Personally I think "god that kills other gods" sounds a bit vague, maybe JRPG-ey, and I'm not sure what motivation the party has to fight him. Seems like he'd just hop to another plane and keep doing his thing. Maybe scroll through existing lore and monsters to see if anything inspires you?
>>
>>50547433
Even hitting two targets is more damage than just about any other build in the entire game at 3rd level. Extremely overpowered.
>>
>>50547462
You are having trouble reading this. Let me try and spell it out harder

NORMAL DAY
2 fights
Short rest
2 fights
Short rest
3 fights
Long rest, end day

MY 'DAY'
2 fights
Short rest, next day
2 fights
Short rest, next day
3 fights
Back to town, long rest

How does this hurt the monk compared to normal?
>>
>Arcane Archer: Arcane Arrow's bonus damage increases to 3d6 at 10th level

Fixed
>>
>Arcane Archer
Rework Eldrich knights, also give them access to a few of the spells like Ensnaring strike, Searing strike.

>Knight
Cute abilities, stupid ideas. The most potent knight would be one using a Quarterstaff with Polearm master.

>Samurai
They made a knight that can't use a lance, a samurai that sucks to dual-wield. Literally gets nothing but the level 3 shitty version of barbarian rage, and a anime meme ability that will lose all sense of cool once you do it more than twice.

>Sharpshooter
Does nothing, gets nothing, is a worse archer than samurai.

THIS UA IS FUCKING HORRIBLE, HOW DID THEY FUCK EVERY SINGLE ONE UP SO BADLY?!
>>
>>50547542
>he thinks ki only affects combat
wew lad
>>
Comments on the 5th edition druid (optional):

Druid's spell list is the most boring of all full casters (Clerics, Wizards, Sorcerers and Bards).
The Land Circle is underwhelming, in part because of the spell list, but because of the circle abilities too, only the environment spells and Natural Recovery are interesting features.
Right now the class sells itself for me because of the Wild Shape, but beasts’ forms above challenge rating 2 are not good. I preferred the way it was in an old playtest, where the shapes statistics were inside the class (like the 2013/03/20 playtest).
>>
>>50547566
No we don't need more lame damage increases, we want to do cool shit more often.
>>
>>50547515
Uhh.. I'm sorry, I have no idea of the context that you just insulted me on, what part were you specifically referring to?
>>
>>50547542
>We need a scout, ok, rogue you go because you can dash forever
>How about me?
>Pfhahahaha, sorry monk, we can't afford taking a day rest every minute you go scouting
>>
File: arcanestriker.png (521KB, 1018x2045px) Image search: [Google]
arcanestriker.png
521KB, 1018x2045px
>>50546214
don't worry guys i fixed it
>>
>>50547289
Because they had to numerically spell out "if the target fucking moves at all" without autists taking it literally and claiming that the enemy should take damage from his heart beating.
>>
>>50547603
Comments on Circle of Dreams (optional):

Balm of the Summer Court is not as good as the healing features of the Life domain Cleric's abilities.
Hearth of Moonlight and Shadow doesn't add much to be the only level 6 ability
Honestly, Purifying Light is a joke. Arcane domain's Cleric level 6 feature (Spell Breaker) does practically the same thing a lot earlier.
>>
>>50547537
I was mostly making a joke.

That aside, I think it is balanced out somewhat by the fact that it doesn't scale at all and is so limited in uses. Yeah, it's a big burst of damage, but a Battle Master can trip a bunch of people, do extra damage, and give him and his party advantage.
>>
>>50547566
>People actually want to buff the most OP UA archetype
>>
>>50547619
Comments on Circle of Twilight (optional):

About Harvest's Scythe: first, why is it NECROTIC damage and not radiant? It's a feature to kill undead after all. Second, I don't know if this extra dice can compete the Land's Druid extra spells (from Natural Recovery) if you want this subclass to focus on dealing damage.
Paths of the Dead: you cast a spell, lazy feature.
>>
>>50547582
How fucking powergamey do you have to be to not like anything from this UA?
Seriously, these options are mostly good. Stop REEEing over this material not meshing with your 100% optimized DPS machine
>>
>>50547457
>>50547493
Theres are all classic adventures, what are you talking about?
>rise of tea mat
>board of the flagon meme
>pimple of tempermental weevil
>hearse of chad
>dorm king's plunder
I couldn't think of one for OotA
>>
>>50547083
>If you were my GM I'd play a battlemaster warlock and make you cry.

I have a warlock and battlemaster player. I'm not crying over a guy getting to cast more than four spells a day and a fighter being good at fighting, surprisingly.

> Do we really need to explain why five minute short rests are fucking stupid?

Yes.
>>
>>50547622
But he cant do all of that at level 3 in a single turn
>>
File: osteria.jpg (219KB, 1273x1024px) Image search: [Google]
osteria.jpg
219KB, 1273x1024px
>>50547633
>>
>>50547641
>out of the ass
>>
>>50547508
[email protected]
I set up a temporary email. Let me know what sort of tips you need, and maybe we can trade reddit usernames or skypes or something.
>>
>>50547660
of Timo?
>>
>>50547612
The Monk gets faster movement without using Ki. He still makes a fine scout without it.

If you're expecting enemies anyway, that 1 No of scouting is no different than the 1 ki you would use between fights.

I'm having a really hard time seeing this as something that cripples monks anymore than they already were.
>>
>>50547658
Can you explain how a Bm would trip "a bunch of people" in a single turn at level 3 without using action surge? Or are you just memeing with reaction images and dont want to contribute to the discussion?
>>
>>50547682
Players are less likely to take rests if they take forever, meaning they'll overreach and go into fights they aren't ready for.
>>
>>50547712
having used those rules before, this is only true for the first few sessions. They learn rather quickly to just spend the night resting. Its a non-issue.
>>
How balanced are these Cleric lvl 6 domain features?

Dampen Energies
Starting at 6th level, when you or a creature within 30 feet of you takes necrotic, radiant or force damage, you can use your reaction to grant resistance to the creature against that instance of the damage. (like nature, but different types)

Channel Divinity: Divine Resistance
At 6th level, when a creature within 30 feet of you makes a saving throw (other than a death saving throw), you can use your reaction to grant that creature a +10 bonus to the roll, using your Channel Divinity. You make this choice before you see the roll.
(like war, but saving throws not attack rolls)

Channel Divinity: Spell Purge
Starting at 6th level, when a you cast a spell of 1st level or higher that targets one creature and causes the creature to make a saving throw, if it fails the saving throw you can use your Channel Divinity end one spell of your choice on that creature. The level of the spell you end must be equal to or lower than the level of the spell slot you use to cast your spell.
(like arcana, but purge enemies not healed allies)
>>
>>50547682
That actually makes features that spend ki and aren't 100% combat oriented useless. Actually, let's be real, that pretty much makes anything that isn't FoB useless.
>>
If the Arcane Archer got more arrows it would be unfair. Those tricks don't have saving throws.
>>
>>50547738
You still have to hit, if they required a ST they would suck
>>
>>50545882
Monks only flaw is that they don't get enough ASIs.

I let them get an ASI at the same levels as the fighter gets them and it works out.
>>
>>50547638
I mainly have concerns that they aren't flavorful enough. Rapid strike and skill proficiencies take up space that could be more flavorful options.

Arcane archer can't even have their ammo count as magic without burning their very limited resources.
>>
>>50547761
Do Battle Master maneuvers suck? They require saving throws.
>>
So bitching and fixes aside people, what do you think would be good multiclass/feat combinations with the new archetypes?

I'm digging Samurai with Sentinel+Polearm master.
>>
>>50547764
Just get a magic bow faget
>>
>>50546360
Six rounds of every battle. You get three uses, it's a bonus action to pop, and it lasts until the end of your NEXT turn.
>>
>>50547781
>Do Battle Master maneuvers suck? They require saving throws.
Not a fair comparison because you only spend superiority dice when you hit, so you never waste resources
>>
>>50547792
No multiclassing at my table

Unless it occurs naturally due to a narrative development, not because you made an optimal spreadsheet in Excel
>>
>>50547796
Your current turn to the end of your next turn is one round, anon
>>
>>50546063
I want to coppy you but i enjoy my cocky slavic wood elf getting into drunken brawls and kicking ass by dancing on his opponents.

Cheeki those breekis.
>>
Am I crazy or did they already make a mounted warrior Archetype?

Wasn't there a cavalier UA?
>>
>>50547794
If there's an archetype that should really be able to make their own ammunition magical to get past resistances, it's arcane archer.

As you said, it's easy to get a magic bow, but why not have it there for flavor then?
>>
>>50547542
Are you actually slow? ah, no, you only take fights into account.

See, a monk might use one of his ki features than aren't combat related and he might spend ki because it only takes 1 hour to recover his ki pool, something you can do over a food, or whatever. If you make short rests 8 hours long that only enforces "spend resources on combat only" mentality, because they don't have leisure time to recover those resources.
>>
>>50547781
Almost every maneuver can be declared after you successfully land a blow. You can't waste the extra damage, but you can fail to impose conditions and other effects.

AA arrows need to be declared before you make an attack.
>>
>>50547824
The cavalier focused on the mounting, the knight just gets a bit of mounted stuff as a ribbon.
>>
>>50547824
Also, why isn't the arcane archer role reserved for the Ranger class?
>>
>>50547638
I'm not complaining that they are shit because they aren't powerful.

They are shit because they are pointlessly rule bloated and try to emulate shit that already exists in the game.

Don't give the arcane archer "Bramblethorn Arrow", just fucking let it use restraining strike, don't give it "Bursting arrow." when we already HAVE a spell that makes your arrow explode.

Knights with their AoO storm are so clogged with "This one does full knight level damage and can be used twice a day, this one does half knight damage but only once a short rest but you can do it if you already did your reaction but not if you did it this turn.". As far as the "You can't get by me!" meme goes it also seems too strict and limited to actually function.

Sharpshooters literally get a slight increase to damage a few times and "Shocking grasp" arrows, with one extra shot a fight as their supreme capstone, two if you use action surge, these abilities are not.. fun, they are not cool, interesting or neat and yes, they are also incredibly weak. Sharpshooters are just a shitty battlemaster with none of the cool effects.

It's fucking glorious when in a UA with Arcane Archer and Sharpshooters as classes and the best archer amoungst them is FUCKING SAMURAI.
>>
>>50547807
How about a background story that explains why the char should be muticlass, but due mechanics he can only take 1 level in 1 class?
>>
>>50547667
Thanks, sent an email. Means a lot to me anon
>>
>Arcane Archer
Has cool flavour and seems like it'd be useful in a fight, though the extremely limited number of Arcane Arrows you have makes me think it'll probably wind up being weaker DPS wise than other Fighter variants if you crunch the numbers. The added skill proficiency are a nice way to help make it not-shit outside of combat, too - but ultimately I feel like you'd still be better off going for a Ranger than this in most situations.

>Knight
It seems fine, and once again the added benefit of the skill proficiency is nice, but I can't really see any reason to use it over a Paladin except for flavour reasons. I guess its nice to have for those who want to play a big bulky bruiser in armour and are willing to trade off magic for the lack of any divine aspects, though.

>Samurai
Okay, now this is just getting kinda repetitive. There's not really much flavour to it, and it copies one of its skills from the knight and another is essentially the same as what the Ranger and it have as well. This one is just a waste of a cool opportunity.

>Sharpshooter
Holy fuck, this UA is just lazy as piss. One skill is a less useful variant of what the Arcane Archer gets, and then it copies the bonus proficiencies + extra attacks shit from the others as well. Why the fuck did they even bother to make this class? It doesn't even have any unique flavour.

This might be the most disappointing UA yet.
>>
>>50547854
Good fucking point.

Worst fucking UA they have ever written.
>>
>>50547041

That's why I use 5 minute short rests, BUT players can only recharge their class feature twice between a long rest.

That way, you don't have warlocks and fighters arguing with rogues and wizards about when to take a break and players have some personal responsibility and control over their own resources.
>>
>>50547866
>need to spend one whole session as a single-classed level 1 character before gaining that titanic sum of 300XP needed to gain another level
I'm shedding a single tear for you.
>>
>>50547809
>Turn 1 Starts
>Use Bonus Action to get advantage and resistance
>Pop off like a Nigga Knight
>Run around like a like an infant and get hit by shit, not caring because of resistance
>Turn 1 Ends
>Get slapped by the enemy some
>Turn 2 Starts
>Pop off again like a cracker on bath salts with Action Surge
>Run around some more with resistance
>Turn 2 Ends

Crawford and Co have confirmed that bonus actions can be taken whenever the hell you want, allowing this ability to give you the full benefits for two rounds -- without the ability to Rapid Strike on the first round.
>>
>>50547834
>See, a monk might use one of his ki features than aren't combat related

And that's why I usually aim for fewer encounters while traveling or not in a dungeon, where things are more spread out and thus the Monk will need less Ki

Inside of a dungeon, all the days resources are for that dungeon.
>>
>>50547854
Because the ranger is not the dedicated bow class, it's a nature survivalist/hunter. Any archetype focusing solely on combat should be a fighter archetype.
>>
>>50547885
That's some pretty absurd hyperbole, anon.
>>
>>50547902
>needing action surge

You need to specify these things beforehand
>>
>>50547854
Ranger doesn't mean "ranged weapon user". That's a common misconception picked up from videogames.

Ranger means "person who goes out to range in the wilderness/border regions"
>>
>>50547913
>Any archetype focusing solely on combat should be a fighter
REEEEEEEEEEE
There shouldn't be "combat-focus classes". Every class does that.

I'm not the guy arguing that Rangers need to be better archers than Fighters, mind, but I'm not gonna let you insinuate that all Fighters should be able to do is hit shit and their exploration/social ribbons and features should be garbage of non-existant.
>>
File: Darius_0.jpg (334KB, 1215x717px) Image search: [Google]
Darius_0.jpg
334KB, 1215x717px
Aha, I can finally make him!

Knight with a giant battleaxe, Fell-Handed and GWM here I come!
>>
>>50547913
I suppose, but the ranger already uses magic, and some of their spells involve magic arrows and stuff.

This seems to be right up the Ranger's alley.
>>
>>50547885
>>50547923
Like for real, not even close.
>>
>>50545844

>Arcane archer
A dip for any archer who wants 2 free maneouvers per short rest.
Not really worth it.
No progress from the lvl 3 feature anywhere, no more arrows or shots gained.

>Sharpshooter
Looks decent, should be okay.

>Knight
It's okay but bland beyond the 3 extra attacks you can use your reaction on.

>Samurai
>3 levels to trade your bonus action for free Stoneskin or advantage on all your attack rolls for a whole fucking round.

Weaboos are truly the cancer that kills tabletop.
>>
>>50547929
Action surge is only there for the sake of maximizing the effect. Even without it, you are still getting one full round and one round sans bonus action with this ability each time you use it. That's two fucking turns per use.
>>
File: UA Ranger.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
UA Ranger.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50547952
>>50547923
>>50547885
You must have the memory of a goldfish, anon.
>>
>>50547964
It's hidden at the top of the second column, but they learn more arcane shots at lvls 7, 10, 15, 18
>>
>>50547938
True, and I've had a ton of fun with melee hunter rangers, but still.

Archer + magic seems much closer to what the ranger should be capable of than the Warrior in my opinion.
>>
>>50547975
The revised Ranger is great though
>>
>>50547980
Still, it's only two shots/rest until level 15.

It should scale like battlemaster maneuvers
>>
>>50547975
>>50547952
>>50547923
>>50547885
And remember those two months they just linked to some DMs Guild shit?
>>
>>50547357
Yeah, you could see it that way... But it's a 3e-rogue situation where if you're fighting undead your whole schtick is completely useless. It doesn't really have to be there, nothing will break if you take it out.
>>
>Defending Arrow
>You use abjuration magic to weave a charm that disrupts your enemy’s magic.
>A creature hit by this arrow suffers disadvantage on the next attack roll it makes before the end of your next turn.
The description seems totally disjointed from the actual effect.
>>
>>50547923
>>50547938
Because Arcane Archers are the elite cadre of elven warriors who scout the range in the wilderness/border regions around their forest cities to dispatch foes and eliminate targets stealthily.

LIKE A RANGER.
>>
>>50547998
I agree with you there.
>>
>>50547975
but that one was great?
>>
>>50548023
>>50547997
That's the Ambuscade Ranger. Look at the file before commenting.
>>
>>50548010
>But it's a 3e-rogue situation where if you're fighting undead your whole schtick is completely useless. It doesn't really have to be there, nothing will break if you take it out.
Agreed, I will write something like this in the next survey
>>
>>50548035
>names file UA Ranger

Fuck you, I'm not opening every pdf posted here when you could so easily just give it the right filename
>>
>>50547980
The shots aren't the real problem.
The problem is they only have 2 uses per rest.

Kinda shit for a base archetype feature don't you think?

And then they give Samurai a super spamable feature that's capstone-tier at level 3...
>>
>>50548063
thats the default file name given to it by WOTC retard
>>
How to improve monk
>Chicken Kung Pao
>Before you make an unarmed melee attack, you can choose to take a -5 penalty to the attack roll. If the attack hits, you add +10 to the attack’s damage.
>You can deal Bludgeoning, Piercing or Slashing damage of your choice with your unarmed melee attacks.
>>
>>50548002
>>50547975
>>50547952
>>50547923
>>50547885
And tried to bring back prestige classes, one of the biggest cancers of 3e?
>>
>>50548019
This tbqh. The flavour makes it absolutely PERFECT for a Ranger, all it might need is some "elven spell" to throw on their list and it'd fit in beautifully with the class.

The fighter needed a ranged option, the AA is just a misfit for the class.

>>50548014
The entire goddamn UA is lazy as fuck.
>>
>>50547975
They produced revised ranger, that totally overwrites this cancer. Oh god I just remembered the Cavalier and Scout fighter archtypes.
>>
>>50548071
Are you this shit at 5e? Arcane archer is OP and samurai is the worst archetype since champion.
>>
>>50548097
>Arcane archer is OP and samurai is the worst archetype since champion.
explain why then
>>
>>50548097
>samurai is the worst archetype since champion.
Do you not remember Purple Dragon Knight?
>>
>>50548097
>free resistance to bludgeon/slashing/piercing damage at lvl 3
>free advantage on all attack rolls at lvl 3

Are you this dense?
>>
>>50548111

read

>>50547402
>>
>>50548143
>for three rounds
>>
>>50548143
>he actually thinks that stuff is worth an entire archetype, when comparing it to EK or battlemaster, or even all the other great stuff in this UA

wow so youre actually just this bad at 5e
>>
>>50548150
>they do a big burst of damage at level 3 if you go for a very specific build and then drop off entirely as time goes on while offering no utility outside of combat
okay, and?
>>
>>50548150
>V. Humans are optional rules
>Feats are optional rules
>Sharpshooter gives -5 to hit
>only 2 times per rest
>He thinks line of effect is the same than a area or cone
>>
>>50547402
>twice per short rest
>4 times a day at best
Woah, so broken
>>
>>50548196
Youve never seen the feat sharpshooter in action, have you? it doesnt "fall off over time" since you get more attacks over time, and can just spam it on all of them. Most ranged characters are going to take SS at level 1 anyways, so pretending like this is some "super specific" niche build is silly.
>>
>>50547345
>free 60 average area damage per warlock every fight
The wizard has two level 5 spells, and 13 spells under 5th level, though.
Also you missed the part where each warlock will gain 15 temp hp per creature killed.
Sure, if you're fighting few tough monsters this isn't that good, but if you fight a lot of smaller monsters this is an instant I-WIN
>>
>>50548220
>you can now only rest once per day

really?
>>
>>50548150
>Guys, please, form a line...come on, Bill, form a fucking line. Dave, Dave, come here, dude, don't be like that, stay there, behind Bill...for the love of God, Paul, stop moving. That's it, I'm done.
>>
>>50548220
Tell that to the 5min rest guy.
>>
>>50548252
You only need to hit 2 for it to be insanely over powered for its level, and its easy to hit 3 targets with a straight line 99% of the time.
>>
>>50548228
>a respectable early game nuke in a straight line that requires you have a specific build in order to maximise its potential but that can still only be used twice per short rest at most is OP and needs to be nerfed even though its the only fucking worthwhile thing the class can possibly do

okay
>>
>>50548111
I can sew Arcane Archer being OP, as it's a very strong Nova at level 3. The problem is that it doesn't scale at all until level 15.

It needs an extra usage of arrows at around level 7 and 10 maybe, but I think after that,it's fine.

Samurai I disagree with being weak. Advantage and resistance for a round 3 times starts off relatively weak, but as you get more and more extra attacks it scales up really well. An action surge with advantage on everything and resistance afterwards is great.
>>
>>50547436
You upset? Think you need some more caps in there bud? Maybe a beer? Calm you down a bit maybe?
>>
What a good thread we have today.
>>
File: tempa-t.jpg (56KB, 616x440px) Image search: [Google]
tempa-t.jpg
56KB, 616x440px
>>50548307
Shit's HYPE

MAD TING
>>
I'm going with two of my best friends on a small vacation to a beach town soon. I haven't DMed in a while and was wondering if you had any cool adventures to run for 2/3 players, i got the base books a just few days ago.
>>
>>50548278
>and its easy to hit 3 targets with a straight line 99% of the time.
No, it isn't, it's easier (and isn't that easy to be honest) to get 3 targets on a cone without pickign your allies on it. 3 in a line easy? like hell. I've been playing Dragonfire adept almost all my life and picking line breaths because I love lightning damage, and I can tell you, 3 is not that easy.
>>
>>50548288
>A specific build

You mean, a single feat? The feat that every archer is going to take at level 1 anyways? Quit acting like it some ultra specific super niche situation. Every arcane archer will have sharpshooter. All of them.

>>50548290
Paladin can get advantage on all its attacks for 10 rounds straight, 3 rounds of advantage really isnt that great. Plus, compared to a battlemaster would could just knock prone AND deal d8 bonus damage its just laughably weak.
>>
>>50548337
Every archer is variant human, esp. elite warriors of elven domains?
>>
So:

>Arcane Archer
Cool, but not enough arcane shots

>Knight
Literally 4e Fighter

>Samurai
Strong x3/rest

>Sharpshooter
"My DM doesn't allow feats" subclass
>>
>>50548337
>Every archer is V.Human
Also every archer seems to pick Xbox Xpert first.
>>
>>50548337
And a Fighter will have more attacks. Plus Resistance from it.

In not saying it's amazing, but it's sort of like a controlled Barbarian Rage.
>>
I might be running a 5e campaign in the near future. The last time I played D&D was over 10 years ago. I've heard two main complaints about the new system: that it's tough to create balanced encounters and that melee classes don't have much to do besides attack twice per round.

I was thinking of houseruling that all melee fighters get Adrenaline points that they can use strategically to boost attack rolls, or maybe use on hit to get a random effect from the Battle Master's list. Any thoughts/ideas/comments?

Apart from "Use 4e/another system". I'm being asked to do 5e specifically by a group that's never played tabletop before.
>>
>>50548040
I'm honestly surprised no one else mentioned it yet
>>
Meh, I've been using Barbarian for Samurai so far, this subclass doesn't give me anything to change my ways.
>>
>>50548352
More or less. I kind of dislike Sharpshooter. It feels like a really meh concept for a subclass.
>>
>>50548361
its strictly worse than barbarian rage. Barbarians get free advantage always and their rage gives a damage bonus and lasts longer
>>
>>50548366
Before houseruling anything, try reading the PHB.
>>
>>50548295
I am upset. I am also upset that I am this genuinely upset about something being so bad.

Maybe I was looking forwards to this too much and then got.. This. Barbarian ones looked so cool, Bard ones were really neat. Druid had some interesting cool unique stuff.

This is just.. thrown together trash. Feels bad man.
>>
I hope everyone here is answering the surveys
>>
File: 1479179124254.gif (3MB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
1479179124254.gif
3MB, 300x169px
>>50548427
I'm not, and you can't make me!
HAW HAW HAW!
>>
>>50548393
And their rage is per day rather than per short rest, and they give enemies advantage in order to get their own advantage.

And again, a Fighter gets more attacks, so advantage means more.
>>
>>50548416
>Druid had some interesting cool unique stuff.
Druids new subclasses were shit tho
>>
>>50548366
Okay, so maybe I've been playing too much Dark Messiah of Might and Magic; but what if hitting an enemy with an attack in combat built Adrenaline Points which you could exchange to do crazy shit and deal even more damage? They are lost when combat enda, everyone would get them (even spell attacks build them), but martials would gain them at higher speed due to extra attacks. Get enough poimts eventually let you blow up people, cut off heads, freeze enemies forever, lift people with telekinesis... Etc.
>>
>>50548445
Don't complain then
>>
UA compilation has been updated with the new fighter UA

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Hk7mNdpd
>>
Is there a list or easy chart for finding tabletop RPGs to play / try if I'm looking for a specific genre / difficulty?

Long time D&D player here, but me and my group are looking to try something else. Different genre perhaps.
>>
>>50548516
That's nice. Tbh, I know races are conventionally before classes, but I think most people care more about the classes so they should be first. Also, it would be good if SCAG options were in there too, so all you'd need is PHB+this and no other books (plus maybe EE). Especially seeing as some UA options were refined and published in SCAG.
>>
>>50548516
Can you PDF that for the lazy?
>>
>>50548562
Well this is a thread for 5e d&d, so play that.
>>
>>50548484

I was thinking something a little more like spellcasting cantrips but for warriors. If you're a talented warrior, how come you can only try to knock someone down three times per short rest?

Battle Master is described in the PHB as a master warrior but their abilities are super-prosaic like "can disarm a guy" or "can trip a dude". I'd rather give them moves that are more like secret techniques, like Tsubame Gaeshi or Hold Down the Shadow.
>>
>>50548566
I wanted to stick to the PHB format which is why I put races first.

I didnt include any content from other supplements like SCAG or EE. You can just go use those documents to find that content. It would be cool if everything was in one spot but im not about to spend another 6+ hours formatting all that shit for homebrewery. If you want to cut and paste and format SCAG and EE Ill gladly add it but thats a shitload of work im not ready to do yet.

>>50548579
I update it constantly with every UA, why not just bookmark the homebrewery link? Or should I release a new PDF every time new UA comes out?
>>
File: justin_roiland.jpg (66KB, 396x594px) Image search: [Google]
justin_roiland.jpg
66KB, 396x594px
>Sentinel feat + Knight
>>
>>50548562

You want either Call of Cthulhu or Numenara
>>
>>50548610
Theres literally zero synergy there? Knight already eats up your reaction.
>>
>>50548603
The new Fighter UA doesn't list "Fighter:" before the titles so it kinda looks like more cleric options.
>>
Just rolled stats for a new char, I want to build something lightningy.

16 15 15 12 11 9

What shuld I build? Is it worth 2 go 2 levels tempest cleric for max lightning dmg if I go Sorc or something? What shuld I build /tg/ I am open to anything really does not have 2 be lightning faggot.
>>
Can you make an Unarmed Barbarian with feats or am I best off just asking my DM for reskinned weapons as gauntlets or something?

I want to make a rasslin' tough guy. Fighter could work but I'm not planning to wear any armor so it's either Monk or Barbarian.
>>
>>50547528
has anybody here ever actually fought something like orcus?

i've never had a campaign come close to that power level...
>>
>>50548639
Not him but there is a bit of synergy in the same vein as Sentinel being on any other character you want to "tank".

Knight can only use Mark's attack 3 times, there's no synergy with Sentinel in that regard. However there is synergy in making sure that you can not only make enemies stop moving away from you, but to also give them disadvantage on opportunity attacks.
>>
>>50548691
Battlerager with tavern brawler.

Unarmed is pretty subpar though, even with 4 attaacks and d8s monks deal the lowest damage of martials
>>
>>50548383
Really? Why Barb? I tend to see Battlemaster Fighter as the classical "Samurai."
Or maybe even Paladin of the Crown, depending.
>>
>>50548691
Take one level of Barb for Unarmored Defense and then do whatever you want class-wise. The only unarmed-improving feat is Tavern Brawler, which is good for grapplers, but it doesn't actually make you do respectable unarmed damage. You will never be a bruiser without Monk.

Rogue, Bear Barb, and Battlemasters make the best physical grapplers.
>>
>>50548691
Why is this such a popular thing?

I swear to god every thread has five people asking this same stupid shit.
>>
>>50548794
RIP AND TEAR
>>
i have a quick question on the Lizardfolk's Cunning Artisan power. It says you can make a club out of a dead small size+ creature, among other things. do they mean club the weapon or club the weapon group?
>>
>>50548794
I put it to you that the only build concept more cancerous than luchabardbarimonks is "muh tinker/alchemy guy that is an int caster but with technology p.s. i want to fugg gnomes"

Oh and sorclocks
>>
>>50548766
>Why barb?
Reckless attack: Disregard of own safety to achieve victory, very Samurai
Advantage on Initiative: Iaido to the max
Class focuses on 2hd weapons more than others: Very Samurai
Up to medium armors: Very samurai

I don't use Paladin because magic, if I want a magical Samurai maybe, but for normal Samurai barb is the class.
>>
So would the Fury of the Small feature from the Goblin only damage one creature even with the Arcane Archers piercing shot?
>>
>>50548794
Angry Punching is something your average nerd has more familiarity with swinging a sword or fuckhuge axe. Even if they were only on the receiving end. It's resonant.
>>
>>50548647
Well you're gonna be MAD as fuck going cleric-sorc.

your stats will kinda allow for it tho. I would say Tempest-Cleric Storm-Sorcerer.

take variant human or half-elf, or whatever gets those 15s to 16s in the stats you want them it (which for you is gonna be WIS, CHA).

That other 16, I dunno. Maybe put it into STR for heavy armor, though just being a dorf would make that pointless. or put it in CON for more HP.

maybe Hill Dorf, put the 16 in CHA and the two 15s into con/wis. Don't need to worry about the STR requirement for heavy armor cause you're proficient and a dorf.
>>
>>50548833
>luchadors are cancerous just because I dont like this specific fun concept
I bet you're cool with cone of cold horse and lockadins, though.
>>
>>50548820
Weapon group? The only weapon groups are simple and martial, melee and ranged. A club is a club.
>>
File: Pugilist Class.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Pugilist Class.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50548813
>>50548833
>>50548859
well, whatever the reason you want to play a stupid wrestling punch guy in a game about knights and wizards, this class accomplishes it pretty well.

Homebrew but it's from DMs Guild and I think WotC endorsed it in some way.
>>
>>50548641
Oops good call, I forgot to add that, thanks for letting me know, ill add it now.
>>
>>50548853
On one of the damaged creatures.
>When you damage a creature with... Once you use this trait, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

So pierce, roll attacks until your damage one, apply fury of the small, can't use it again.
>>
>>50548913
>Swagger for Days
And I stopped reading
>>
>>50548983
>He doesnt know swagger was a word that has existed for a long time before modern hiphop co-opted it
>>
>>50548766
Barbarian (rage = Zen), Fighter (Battlemaster = Skilled / tactician), or Paladin are all fitting for a Samurai, depending on what aspect you want to focus on.
>>
>>50548913
>Way better monk than monk at monkeing
No thanks
>>
>>50547888
I'd just call them encounter powers at that point. I do this too, but I do think the warlock+Druid/cleric MC to get free healing out of combat (or even the other way around though it'd be a bit slower) has to be made impossible or it can be cheesed easily. I don't do nearly 6-8 combats a day as they recommend, and when that's the case (and it is for a ton of people online, so many report just doing 1-3 encounters per day) making them 5 minutes just wastes less time.
>>
Daily reminder that fun is a buzzword and all you should care about is numbers.
>>
>>50548868
This seems cool, but would not Brass Dragon be better than Storm since you share spell list with Cleric? Also how many levels cleric do I go? 2? Is there a reason to have high WIS (higher than 13 atleast) If I go cleric?
>>
>>50549045
>This is literally /4eg/ mentality
>>
>>50549045
Daily reminder that you are in fact an idiot.
>>
>>50548998
>Hang him, swaggering rascal! let him not come
>hither: it is the foul-mouthed'st rogue in England.

>If he swagger, let him not come here: no, by my
>faith; I must live among my neighbours: I'll no
>swaggerers: I am in good name and fame with the
>very best: shut the door; there comes no swaggerers
>here: I have not lived all this while, to have
>swaggering now: shut the door, I pray you.
>>
>>50549045
This. Having fun in a way I dont approve of is banned and you should feel stupid for playing something "because its fun" or "I like its flavor"
>>
>>50549078
Flavor and fluff are buzzwords too. Everyone who uses them should be shot.
>>
>>50548889
>I bet you're cool with cone of cold horse
Come, let's not talk of your mother teat
>>
>>50548086
What's wrong with scout? I thought it was a good temporary fix to replace ranger and even now it's a decent mix of ranged and melee like you'd expect from a skirmisher/scout sort of archetype.
>>
>>50548983
>>50549025
>ask for dumb cancerous shitty concept
>surprised when it's dumb, cancerous, and shitty

What did you expect? Maybe go watch WWE while fucking your cousin instead of playing dungeons and dragons to get your stupid shit
>>
Is the Sharpshooter good? Seems a bit lackluster to me (compared to Knight & Samurai) but honestly I can't tell, the Ranger is so shit as is

I guess I should compare it to BM, in which case... ignore cover and do 2+LVL extra damage thrice per rest, instead of adding +1d8 to an attack or damage roll 4 times per rest. Yeah, seems shit. Although it applies to extra attacks, which is deece.
>>
It seems odd to me that there's no Necromancer option for Warlocks despite there being blatantly Undead patrons, so I might try to make one.

Rough ideas, tell me what you think.

>Level 1
Some kind of Not-Find-Familiar that lets you raise small creatures like skeleton ravens.
I don't have any kind of real ideas yet so something really rough like "Lesser Animate Dead- Over a short rest reanimate a small dead thing to act as a familiar, you can have CHAmod total raised"
And differentiate it from Find Familiar by giving them other actions.
>inb4 spergs argue about familiars with Help
you could just not let it use help or otherwise restrict it.

As of now letting you raise multiple of anything would be a pain to deal with as a DM so this whole tier might need scrapped.

>Level 6
You learn the Animate Dead spell, and can cast it once per short rest without expending a spell slot or material components.

Again I don't have any real ideas for this yet, but I assume that the reason Warlocks can't get Animate Dead normally is that they get their slots back on a Short Rest so there'd need to be some kind of stipulation added for keeping only a limited number of them under your control, since otherwise a class that gets them back on short rests could very quickly get an army.

Maybe "Instead of the usual rules for Undead control, once a day you can reassert your control over up to four creatures you have animated with this spell. This number increases to 6 at level whatever (Set so it scales slower than a WIZ since a Warlock doesn't need to spend spell slots for it) and creatures you lose control of turn back into corpses"

>Level 10
Undead under your control can add your proficiency bonus to rolls and get bonus HP for every Warlock level you have, and you gain resistance to Necrotic damage/immunity to disease

>Level 14

Something like Greater Animate Dead where you can make one super beefy but slow Undead or two somewhat strong ones, no idea for balance on this one yet.
>>
>>50548601
Anyone can do those things, but only the BM gets to do damage AND add the superiority die,
>>
>>50549150
So, you have not one but three familiars with their own actions? As you said, a pain (but don't listen to me I'm drunk

nah do lsiten to me this is shit ideas, come back later
>>
>>50549061
>but would not Brass Dragon be better than Storm since you share spell list with Cleric?

uh what?

>there a reason to have high WIS (higher than 13 atleast) If I go cleric?

uh what?

What exactly are you trying to do here? Multi-class Tempest cleric and something else for max lightning? Or do you just want to dip Cleric for the CD, in which class frankly 1 CD/short rest isn't worth it.

I would either just go pure Storm Sorcerer, or pure lightning-related drac sorc, or pure Tempest.
>>
>>50549195
Yeah that's what I was getting at with multiple familiars being a pain, it might be easier to make them just one "creature" as far as stats go.
>>
>>50549205
I was thinking a dip in cleric, but you might be right.

The extended spelllist of Storm Sorc and Tempest Cleric is basically the same, so you basically loose out on it. So more dmg on lightning spells (Brass dragon) might be better?`

Sorry for being unclear, I am retarded :(
>>
I fixed the game for more fun.

All archetype features gained after 3 are now gained instead at half their level (rounding down) + 2. So level 7 ribbons are available at 5, level 10 shit at 7, and 15 at 9.
>>
>>50549150
Not a warlock option, but one for Sorcerers I made awhile ago.

I am pretty satisfied with this, though I haven't had a chance to playtest it yet.
>>
>>50548275

Oh man high AoE damage on a damage dealer if all the enemies line up, so broken.
>>
File: 1475566627193.png (2MB, 820x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1475566627193.png
2MB, 820x1500px
Mechanically/thematically, what would you call the mirror of a warlock? Someone who's entered into a pact with a holy being, and is granted gifts and the ability to call on angelic aid and summon divine familiars, as opposed to demons and devils? Cleric or paladin doesn't seem like a proper mirror of the idea to me.
>>
>>50549303

We call those warlocks anon
>>
>>50549303
Cleric or Paladin.
>>
>>50549249
Storm Sorc doesn't get an expanded spell list tho

multi-classing the two means you're delaying spells and stuff. Being a 3rd level Cleric and a 2nd level Sorcerer doesn't mean you have access to 3rd level spells; you have 3rd level spell slots, but can only know up to 2nd level Cleric spells, and 1st level Sorc spells.

So multi-classing, especially with different attribute-dependent classes, is kinda retarded.

>>50549303
undying light/ seeker warlock
>>
>>50547402
I mean, sure, if you find a tight hallway with 30 gobos in a line. But it's situational enough.
>>
File: lauhgsings.png (128KB, 600x497px) Image search: [Google]
lauhgsings.png
128KB, 600x497px
>>50549293
>>
>>50549328
you only have to 2 two targets for it to deal OP levels of damage.
>>
Arcane archer seems fun as fuck, hopefully it's AL legal sooner rather than later.
>>
>>50549288
Hey, that's pretty good!
>>
>>50549303
warlock of boon x/pact y
>>
>>50549303
Literally the Undying Light Warlock
>>
>>50549249
Playing this at the moment, I didn't know of the synergy when I did it and got special permission to do so since I had 10 WIS though so outside the CD I'm not using much cleric stuff. Combined with 8 str I'm not using the heavy armor prof. If you don't waste the features, heavy armor, shield, max lightning/thunder once per short rest and the extra cantrips/spells (fog cloud is good, and you can get some healing/rituals too), it's decent.
Not better than going pure, mostly because of delayed spell levels (and ASIs early on) but I don't think it's bad.
>>
NEW THREAD

>>50549401
>>50549401
>>50549401
>>50549401
>>
>>50549411
>no title again
>>
>>50549269
>I'll still never get my pally capstone
>>
>>50549303
That's still just a warlock.

In 4e they were called Invokers.
>>
>>50549423
FUCK
>>
But anon everyones knows that variant human is op.

24 of dmg in a straight line is pretty cool for lvl 4 ability.

A fireball is still 28 / 30 with elemental adept / 33 with draconic sorcerer / 36 with empowered spell.

I like the arcane archer.
>>
Does Bahamut care about giants? I want to roll a paladin for SKT.
>>
>>50549332

Nice argument.
>>
>>50549431
Archetype, not class.
The problem with accelerating class features is you kinda have to leave casters where they are as far as spell levels go or they get out of control way too early.
>>
>>50549532
well you don't need a god as a paladin anymore

but Bahamut's all about law and order and shit. Giants and Dragons have some serious history in FR, so yes he'd probably give a shit
>>
>>50549604
Paladin has 20th level features for its archetypes, the main class only has up to 14.
>>
>>50548366
no, those ideas are shit.

the game is balanced as is
>>
Beginning 5e DM. Any recommendations on which 5e campaign book would be best for a beginner group?

I've read that many of them are not very beginner friendly, but i'm not sure that isn't just people being stupid.

I've dm'd before, just not 5e.
>>
>>50550790
Run Lost Mine of Phandelver first. Then do Strahd or Storm Kings
>>
>>50550816
How basic is phandelver?

Or is it just shorter?
>>
>>50550852
Phandelver probably takes ~7-8 sessions
It starts with a very clear introduction of the game, both for the player and the DM
>>
>>50547319
EKs get weapon bond, a utility, at 3rd so that leaves room in the budget. Paladins get more ways to spend actions.
>>
>>50550957
Thanks!

One more question. Have you played Storm Kings?

I feel like the giants would lend toward awkward combat. In my experience bigger creatures make the fight feel less organic. Is this the case or do they handle well? (Obviously the dm can spice it up with flavor)
>>
>>50551182
>In my experience bigger creatures make the fight feel less organic.

How do you mean?
Like it seems like the party should only be swinging at the giant's feet?
I'm gonna run storm kings and been thinking of a way to spice of giant combat myself.

Specifically for ranged characters, if they have a called shot (such as the head) I might let them deal double damage on a hit with a large hit penalty such as the head is specifically vulnerable.
And for melee characters, remove the hit penalty and instead just have it deal double damage from a melee attack. Encouraging things such as flying up to it's head, climbing, knocking the giant prone and rushing to attack its head, etc.
Thread posts: 435
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.