[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can a neutral good character steal, or is that an evil act? Last/first

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: theifystealer.jpg (46KB, 786x1016px) Image search: [Google]
theifystealer.jpg
46KB, 786x1016px
Can a neutral good character steal, or is that an evil act?
Last/first session I played, I tried stealing (Since my character, while not a rogue, is pretty similar.), and everyone thought my character was evil because of it, to the point that they were all shocked when my character wasn't.
So does stealing make my character evil?
I thought that my character could steal, and that as long as I didn't do anything overtly evil, my character could still be good, but am I wrong?
>>
>>50531732
A Neutral Good? You'd probably want to have some important cause to steal for. Like Robin Hood.

If you're stealing for fun/personal stuff, you'll probably drift neutral.

Remember, stealing things is actually hurting the lives of the people you stole from.
>>
>>50531780
Well, I mean, I only stole twice and when I did:
Xenophobic asshole guard's keys.
Bit of loot, and while I didn't tell anyone, it's because I knew our group would fight about it, and I thought it'd be simpler just to get it out of the way.
Meanwhile, my good actions:
Smacktalking a tyrannical sorcerer king/queen to her face
Giving a different tyrannical king a chance at peace.
Insisted, despite the evil characters arguing, that we go check out a scream in the middle of the night.
>>
>>50531855
>I only stole
>loot
You fucked up now. Stealing from the party (or taking an early cut from found funds) is tantamount to cockslapping most players. Do at your own risk, big time.
>>
>>50531917
nah, they were cool with it
>>
>>50531855
>Bit of loot, and while I didn't tell anyone
This one will probably shift you more Neutral. A Good character would be obliged to help others come to an amicable resolution.
HOWEVER, if the other characters are Evil aligned, it's less so. You could say you're keeping it away from a known Evil.

>Xenophobic asshole guard's keys.
Probably fine. Stealing from Evil, or those you know shall do harm tends more toward Good.

>Insisted, despite the evil characters arguing, that we go check out a scream in the middle of the night.
Definitively Good, per D&D.

The byline for Good is "try your best to help others, and help yourself by doing so".
Neutral is "it doesn't matter, I want my soup".
Evil is "nah, I'd rather just take their stuff".
>>
>>50531935
2 evil, 1 chaotic neutral, 1 unknown, and one good

k, good

I also bitched at a evil character for disrespecting the dead, and managed to negotiate him into not taking as much loot from the dead
>>
File: 1436751133008.jpg (20KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1436751133008.jpg
20KB, 400x400px
>>50531732
>Do you do it for your own gain?
Yes, it's bad.
>Do you do it because otherwise something bad and evil will happen?
No.
>Do you do it because the situation might become bad?
Can't you try something else before resorting to stealing? Leaning to yes, it's bad.
>Other situation
Probably arguable. There is no black and white, at least not in a game that wants to be more complex than an elementary-school slogan of some sort.
>>
>>50532191
First one was because I just knew some shit was going to go down, and when the guards burst in a second later, my suspicions were proven true.
Second one was to prevent a group conflict, but in the end there wasn't one anyway, so I guess it was unnecessary.
>>
>>50531732
Seriously, the moral alligment faggotry thing triggers me, it's completelly not allowed in my champaings.
>>
>>50531732
Depends.

Are you stealing bread to feed a starving family or are you robbing some poor old lady of her life savings?

Stealing isn't necessarily and evil act but it's almost always unlawful.
>>
>>50531732
Under most circumstances, I'd put stealing down as a chaotic neutral act. It's selfish (neutral) but not ruthlessly so (evil), and it's a dishonorable act that goes against established order (chaotic).

Of course, just because your character performs a chaotic neutral act from time to time doesn't necessarily make him chaotic neutral. He could perform other deeds that counterbalance them. Stealing is a relatively minor thing compared to, say, murdering innocents, so it won't move the needle by nearly as much.
>>
>>50531855
i mean id say neutral leaning towards good tendencies nothing you mentioned would make me say your evil or good. Just kinda weird a good person would hang out with evil characters.
>>
Stealing is only justified if its for example to feed starving children. Or stealing some tax back after it was taken by the king for a convuluted war across the ocean
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.