[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Song of Swords: Dzickie Souls.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 32

File: tumblr_nua4w3TPD41t2t2gmo1_540.jpg (136KB, 540x737px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nua4w3TPD41t2t2gmo1_540.jpg
136KB, 540x737px
Last time on Song of Swords:
Out of Nowhere, a Combat Update that changes everything
Dacian Satire Explained
wtf is an Axiom and why does it help me shoot people
.50 BMG: The Katana of bullets

Song of Swords is a a tabletop RPG centered around realistic medieval fightan' with a ludicrous variety of weapons and fighting styles, centered around a dice pool system. It's currently in beta, and can be used for both fantasy and historical games.

Call of the Void is a pulpy sci-fi tabletop RPG about fighting space-nazis and hunting giant whales with harpoons made out of the moon. Its combat system is more modern, based in the early 20th century, but can probably handle combat up to the present day.

MEGA folder containing current version of the game and all supplementary materials. At this time the latest version is v1.9.9:
https://mega.nz/#F!S89jTT7J!ozFi9GvzaFGHfBa59Ik2-Q

Here's a wiki detailing SoS's fantasy setting, getting filled up bit by bit as Jimmy reveals more details:
http://tattered-realms.wikia.com/wiki/Tattered_Realms_Wiki

The Legend Will Never die.
>>
>>50515793
So, I was watching the new spin off movie in the Potterverse. Fantastic Beasts and all that.
During the movie I thought "Man, I think I'd like to play in this setting" and "Damn, I don't know any game for Potter stuff"
And with that I thougt: "Maybe SoS can do that".
Think about it: Spells are pretty much maneuvers that wizards can do. You have a magic pool. You can't use it without a wand, and if you don't have your own wand you likely get a penalty on the pool. Stuff like that.
Thoughts and/or opinions?

Also, the movie was better than expected. Well, I expected it to be pretty shitty. But it was actually somewhat good imo.
>>
>>50516069
While I sympathize with your desire to shove SoS into everything, and partake in that same desire by planning shit like Valkyria Chronicles in Ballad, I think something like Ars Magicka would work better.
>>
>>50516119
>Valkyria Chronicles in Ballad
Oh wow. That's a lot of sepsis.
>>
>>50516069
GURPS is good at Potter-style magic.
Also look at Bovine, it represents battles of will between sorcerers using the typical combat system.
>>
>>50516119
Ah, I see. I actually have Ars Magica 5e here. Just had a quick look at it. It seems pretty good, but I think the spells are too freeform. In the potterverse there seems to be very little freeform magic. Also there seems to be nothing for non magical stuff. So when the wizards get into trouble with the police or the IS I'd have to make shit for firearms up myself.
But I think I will read a bit more in depth before jumping to conclusions.

>>50516837
I never really managed to get into GURPS, but I'll look at how Botits does it. Thanks.
>>
>>50516496
Cute anime girls in uniforms being mowed down by MG34 fire is my fetish.
>>
>>50515793
I want to run another one-shot some people but in the style of a bank heist, what media should I consume to get the tone correct and what sort of armoury should I place on the pre-generated characters?

I was thinking about doing an escalation style of play where they start on light weaponry as they keep things desecrate and quiet and as events progress with stowed weapon bags up-gunning them as the law up-guns as well. However it is worth nothing they will all be green players so it may be better the keep them to a small number of weapons.

My initial concept was to set it in the CIS so I could introduce them to the setting as well and spread Zell jokes far and wide.
>>
>>50518752
Maybe not too helpful, but Inside Man is one of the best heist movies ever.
>>
>>50518752
Depends, what tone do you want to invoke?
Operators operating operationally? "Grassroots political movement"? Crime and piracy on the open void?
>>
Hey all, curious about the game, don't know a lot about it. What ought I download if I want to be current, there are several updates/errata, yeah?

>>50516119
>>50516496
Also what's Ballad?
>>
>>50523767
Figured out Ballad at least. I'm only somewhat slow.
>>
>>50523767
There's a download link in the OP that has all current and working PDF's and stuff. The core rulebook is all you really need, but there's been a bunch of other stuff jimmy's posted that's kinda neat.
>>
>>50523767
Basically, take 1.9.9 and Call of the Void. Use Song of Swords for medieval combat and Call of the Void for modern combat. There should be something like a combat update within the file, download that as well. Use that to replace the combat chapter in the main SoS book. Everything else can wait.
>>
did you know that people tend to stop fighting once you chop their head off?
>>
>>50525194
Did you know threads die when you stop bumping them with meaningful posts?
>>
hol' up
combat update?
>>
>>50525275
Oh yeah.
>>
>>50525226
it's like you dont watch videos about swords.
>>
>>50525351
Isn't the initiative system the only thing different from the original?
>>
>>50525820
Not the only thing. Toughness is different (it's static at 4 instead of being compound) and a lot of the combat mechanics in general are different because the game focuses on shooting and cover.
>>
>>50525838
Toughness? The pdf doesn't mention toughness. Also, shooting and cover? It's a medieval game.
>>
>>50525849
Oh, sorry, I was confused. I thought you meant between Ballad and SoS. There were still some fundamental changes though. For one thing, the entire way that the system for movement, shooting, and basically everything that isn't literally exchanging blows has changed. It isn't just initiative, but the entire concept of the round itself.
>>
File: red red.jpg (48KB, 496x395px) Image search: [Google]
red red.jpg
48KB, 496x395px
>>50525351
OH YEAH!
>>
Maybe I should shove the updates for SoS and Ballad into folder of the respective core pdf.
And maybe I should keep track of changes in the Trove and post them at the start of a new thread. Will see if I can do that.

>>50523767
You also may want to download PDF related. Not strictly necessary, but a lot more convenient than going through the book every time you need to look up damage.
But yeah, the most important stuff for SoS are the core book and the combat update. Everything else is nice, but not game changing, I think. For ballad you need the SoS core book and the Ballad book.
>>
>>50526106
That appears to be missing some of the charts near the end there- is it unfinished or is that intentional?
>>
>>50526134
ah shit. Have the unfixed version on my disk still. Gimme a sec. The one in the trove is ok though.
This one should be good now.
>>
>PC wants to take dark past
> I get to add in any banes I want
>book encourages me to be mean
>Eunuch, Lasting Pain, One eye, old wound x5
>>
>>50527095
Unfortunate gay 69 accident, make a character out for revenge with the same injuries
>>
>>50522853
A group of professionals who know each other by reputation brought together for a job by a shadowy employer.

A tense sort of trust with a few people perhaps having their own set of objectives.
>>
>Superior Hook Punch with Smash Punch does a TN6 STR+4+BS Shock 1 attack that automatically targets the Lower Head
>can do two of them in one attack
>can do three of them in one attack
>can do four of them in one attack
???????
>>
>>50528102
oh wait, each of them is a Shock 3 attack
>>
>>50528118
>>50528102
Actually hold on, if you have a School with Puglism and Dagger/Sword/Blunt proficiencies, you can pick up Flourishing Drills, and if you attack in Action 1 with a Swing, you can start using one-two punch with 2 additional dice in each attack in Action 2
Reduce the activation cost for One-Two Punch to 0 with Good Form and Rolling Hooks, and you've got yourself infinite smash punches
Of course, attacking one trillion times in one second still won't do fuck-all because you'll do at most 16 damage which won't get through the fucker's lower head armor, so infinite amounts of Stun won't really help you out too much REEE
>>
>>50527177
Hm. There might be some Shadowrun material that would be good to consume. I'd have to look around, though.
>>
>>50528157
You have to pay at least one die into an attack to trigger Flourishing Drills.
>>
>>50529267
Also Hook Punch isn't a Swing
>>
Is it supposed to be reasonable to spend 30 gp on Plate Barding for a horse when buying a Major Asset costs only 27 gp?
>>
>>50529780
Well only the richest of the rich could historically afford that shit, so it it's not that unreasonable.
>>
>>50530921
>>50529780
I always assumed it was an Elder Scrolls joke.
>>
>>50516837
Bovine?
>>
>>50531448
Blade of the Iron Throne. I don't know why some people call it Bovine.
>>
>>50531475
Something something cow tits.
>>
>>50528102
>Inflicts Unarmed damage equal to [STR-1+BS]
>If hand is armored in metal, or has brass knuckles/knuckledusters, add +2 to damage

Does this reset the -1 to 0, thus becoming +2 total, or is the +2 added to the -1, which would make it only +1 to damage?
>>
>>50531496
Girl on every page isn't that busty
>>
>>50531550
The second one.
>>
>>50531565
>Superior Hook Punch with Smash Punch does a TN6 STR+4+BS Shock 1
So this is wrong, it'd only be STR+3+BS Shock 3
>>
Hook Punch damage: STR-1
Superior: +1
Smash Punch: +2
Metal hands: +2
Mix and match however you want
>>
>>50532203
>Smash Punch
Fuck me, I'm hung over, ignore this>>50531651
>>
>>50515793
Tell me more about Dzikie Soula and where it came from.
"gdyby nie było "w nogi" to bym go zajebał"
>>
>>50530921
It seems unreasonable as hell, because only the richest of the rich could afford banks too
>>
>>50531475
Because of the tits and because it's built upon a throne of sacred cows.
>>
>>50525838
You know, I kind of wish SoS would have locked Toughness as well. I really don't like things like gigga niggas even without armor being almost impossible to hurt with things like daggers.
>>
>>50533868
I've been thinking about ruling it as half TOU and STR translates into the formula, making the values not meaningless but less swingy.

Might need to play with the break durability values though.
>>
>>50533868
Health system inherited from TRoS could use rework. It has deep flaws in it.
>>
>>50533868
Just include it as an alternate rule.
>>
>>50529527
>>50529267
>>50528157
It's still an absurd amount of punches. Take Flickering Jab and, if I'm interpreting the Special for Straight Punch right:
>Special: If hand is armored in metal, or has brass knuckles/knuckledusters, add +2 to damage, and suffer no damage back upon hand. If you have Superior Straight Punch, you inflict +1 additional damage, and 1 additional Shock as well.
>Superior: Your punches now inflict an additional +1 damage, and inflict 1 Shock.

These two stack, so you'd get TN5 +2u Shock 2 attacks that basically can't be defended against, and you'd get CP/4 (since it has to be <5 for Flickering Jabs) attacks that would essentially hit automatically
With Strength 8, you just pepper a dude with minimum of 11 damage per hit, that they can't do shit against, and with Strength 10 you're essentially knocking a guy the fuck out within the first Action, without him being able to do fuck-all other than trying to hit you first
Which AV does one use against unarmed attacks anyway?

>Unarmed attacks resolve against AVB+4
oh
well then
never mind any of this then
>>
>>50535531
Yeah unarmed is well and nerfed.
>>
>>50535531
Word of God from Jimmu is that it was supposed to be "unarmed attacks resolve against AVB+4 for Hard armor."
Regardless, even with the ease of landing unarmed attacks, the unique unarmed damage tables are kind of shit.
>>
>>50537339
Yeah, it's clearly not good for causing serious damage.
>>
>>50535531
>It's still an absurd amount of punches.

Spoken like a cuck who has never practiced actual hand to hand combat.
>>
>>50538806
Tell us all about it Clubber Lang.
>>
>>50533924
>I've been thinking about ruling it as half TOU and STR translates into the formula
That's what Bovine does, but they go further and tie both together into a Brawn stat. Your STR and TOU as we'd call it are both equal to half of your Brawn. Stats range from 1 to 9, usually around 4 to 7, so STR and TOU end up around 2 to 4.
>>
>>50535531
>With Strength 8
Lemme stop you there
>>
>>50539888
Strength is overpowered and really should be nerfed
>>
>>50540069
Strength is just a part of the problem. The problem is the whole damage model.
>>
So with regards to Call of the Void, what's up with skills? There seem to be quite a few removed skills (Research, Orate etc.), but nothing to replace them. Research can't really be replaced by Gather Information as the former is poring over musty old tomes and the latter is cajoling others into revealing their deepest, darkest secrets, so what gives?

The skill system as a whole feels like it just doesn't fit properly in the game
>>
So has Jimmy ever given any information on how he wants Retinue to work? What separates a Henchman from a Minion? How are these statted?
I'm making a nobleman with no combat ability but twelve war dogs, four destriers to trample people with and thinking of grabbing Retinue for more thrallherd funtimes
>>
>>50540645
The description of research is
>Research
>Research is all about knowing how to find something out. Someone with low-level Research skill might
>know how to find an alphabetically filed document or how to use a table of contents. A talented
>Researcher can scan through a few dozen peer-reviewed journals in a few minutes to find that one
>obscure article someone wrote about a really rare bone condition.

and the one of gather information is
>GatherInformation(Cha):Whatitsaysonthetin.

so, imo, they are kinda interchangeable. What you do in Research is gathering information. Only thing that's a bit off is that Research is based on Int and Gather Information on Cha.
But if you want to research something in ballad just make a Gather Information roll with Int? Or something like that
>>
>>50540815
One of the eternal problems.
>>
>>50540142
>>50540069
ohboyherewegoagain.png
>>
All I want for Christmas is a Kickstarter.
>>
SEARING ENGIMA MONDAY
WAIT WHAT

In the parts of Iber which were once provinces of the Ruvian Empire, there was an interesting practice which took place--rich gold reserves located in mountains were mined using enormous gangs of slaves, who were worked--mostly to death--pounding away deep into the mountains and hills to extract as much ore in bulk as possible, even sifting through the dust produced to extract every trace of the precious metal possible.

This resulted in titanic networks of tunnels bored through many of the hills in the country, some going deep underground using water pressure to smash open chambers and later extracting it using simple pumps, also powered by slaves. It is said that when slaves were worked to death in the great processing facilities, their bodies were unceremoniously dumped into the emptied tunnels. Indeed, going down deep into these systems, one can still find chambers filled with nothing but bones, clay, and long-decayed mining tools.

These hills are called Las Colinas Malditas*, or "The Cursed Hills," and a great variety of dark legends surround them, including stories of necromancers venturing inside for raw materials, and of bandits, monsters or worse using them as hideouts.

*If you speak Spanish and this sounds anachronistic or wrong, tell me
>>
>>50546317
Spanish speaker here, that sounds fine.
>>
>>50546317
Jimmu! Your damage formula is under fire again would you consider cribbing from Bovine and thus the still cooling hands of it's creator's notes?

>>50540142
>>50540069
>>50539865
>>50533924
>>
>>50547525
You don't even need to change the damage formula. Just lock toughness, and if that starts causing issues bump up AV by a small amount. The issue is mostly people being immune to weapons while unarmored and immune to everything while fully armored.
>>
File: 1477182157023.gif (4MB, 700x488px) Image search: [Google]
1477182157023.gif
4MB, 700x488px
>>50547525
>>50547772
Now that Ballad's system has proven fairly successful there is room to discuss the damage formula of SoS, but now is not really the time. We're making the final push here to get this thing going and it was rough enough updating combat at this point.
>>
>>50547772
That's not all. You also have people who literally cannot do less than a level 5 on 1BS because of high strength. Locking TOU just makes STR even more important.
>>
>>50548907
Lock TOU, half STR to damage?
>>
File: Communists.png (313KB, 664x648px) Image search: [Google]
Communists.png
313KB, 664x648px
>>50550627
>8 STR to break even
Hmm.....
>>
>>50550627
Just manipulating STR and TOU won't result in a satisfying solution. The problem is the damage formula. That there are 5 wound levels, that a higher level would is better than a lower level wound regardless of the damage type, ans that all damage adds up equally and linearly. BoB tries to fight it with level 1 wounds being ignorable and certain armor capping wound levels. BotLW does the same with ignorable level 1s and has fixed TOU. BotIT has 6 wound levels and STR & TOU tied to the same stat. But in all of these, damage is the same. It's always STR+weapon+BS. Although BoB and SoS both have conversion to blunt damage (orichalcum armor in SoS), only BoB has wound capping. To fix the damage formula you'd have to significantly change it, or apply a lot of bandaid fixes like what's listed above.
>>
File: IvanBilibin11.jpg (560KB, 1600x1279px) Image search: [Google]
IvanBilibin11.jpg
560KB, 1600x1279px
>>50550627
Alternatively roll STR or tie damage from STR to maneuvers
>>
Anon interested in the system, how many d10 would you say is a comfortable amount to have on hand?
>>
>>50553186
Just use digital dice roller, comrade
>>
>>50553186
Twenty for one player. Typical CPs range from 10 to 20 and d10s are usually sold either individually or in packs of 10, so grab 20.
>>
>>50553186
No more than nine or ten, though you can buy smaller d10s if you've got tiny mitts.
>>
>>50553186
Low level players need maybe ten to fifteen. If everyone is going God Mode, you may need up to 30
>>
>>50546317
I thought Genosus hated slavery.
>>
>>50556635
Genosus hates war too, but that doesn't stop anyone.
>>
>>50556635
Old Ruvia was not Genosian. Slavery is also only expressly forbidden regarding Genosians. You could enslave all the Karthacks or Ohanedin you want.

This does result in a sort of sub-industry of people being kidnapped or sold into slavery despite being Genosian, but the Paladins put a LOT of pressure on the priesthood and the ruling class not to tolerate it (even being -aware- of illegitimate slavery and not trying to stop it qualifies someone for a Smite) and thus it gets stamped out wherever possible.

Why serfdom isn't considered slavery is a question that has puzzled some theologians for a while, the general consensus being that Get Back to Work.
>>
>>50556839
>the general consensus being that Get Back to Work
Nice.

So what did the Ruvian Empire worship?
>>
File: Estus puke.png (1MB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Estus puke.png
1MB, 1000x1000px
>Dzickie Souls
How good would this system be for Dark Souls inspired stuff?

How's this system work and how, uh... "easy" is it? I think I took a quick glance at it once, but it was confusing. But lately I've been in the mood for something that lets me get a Soulsborne feeling.
>>
>>50557479
It's doable but you'll struggle with fantasy stuff like spider people, dragons, and magic. Any humanoid combat can be done without much trouble.
The combat system is simple but it isn't packaged as such. If you try to learn it from the book alone you'll be confused and uninterested. If you learn it from a player you'll enjoy it and grok it much more quickly.
The non-combat parts of the system are mediocre.
>>
>>50557617
Why would it struggle with non-humanoids? And what can you tell me about the game mechanically, if it's hard to grok?

What makes the combat simple, but seem complicated? And what makes the non-combat mediocre?
>>
>>50558120
The combat in principle is very easy to understand, but there's such a huge set of options within that combat that it can be overwhelming.

Here's the basics.

Combat is done in Rounds. A round has two actions, think of them like Tick-Tock. You attack, other guy attacks back, that sort of thing.

Well for each round you have a Combat Pool. This is the number of dice you can use in those two rounds. So in Tick, you declare a strike with 12 dice. Your enemy declares a parry with 14. You both roll, he gets more, so he parries successfully, but you spent fewer dice. So you have more in the Tock to do something now. At the start of each new round you get your Combat Pool back, but things like Pain from wounds can reduce it.

So basically you do this until someone is dead. The complexity comes in that you can do like 80 different things in each Tick, and they're all mechanically different. So you could hit someone with your sword, or trip them, or attack a joint in their armor, or throw a fistful of sand into their face, or drop your sword and sack them like a quarterback, or pull out a pistol and blow their head off, or any of a hundred other things.

Add to this that Combat Pools are rarely ever symmetrical, and they're secret. Your enemy might have 10 dice in his CP or he might have 30. You won't know until you see how he devotes them the first few rounds. The combat system is frankly good enough to be its own game, and it has been for years now. People play SoS in a Roll20 room like people play Super Smash Bros.

So if you can make it over the hurdle it's a great game, but it does require a bit of legwork.
>>
>>50553186
Lodes
>>
>>50558303
Don't forget to mention how the maneuvers correspond fairly well in terms of function to the real-world equivalents, so if you think in terms of "this is what I'd do as a HEMAutist" you can often simplify the whole thing massively except for how damage is really silly sometimes
>>
>>50558400
>>
>>50553439
>>50553598
Wow that's a fair amount of dice in your pool. Pretty sure I've only got about fifteen d10 myself, and that's by far the most out of my friends. I was looking for stocking stuffer gifts any way, this works out well. Gonna use a die roller until then-if the grand even gets off the ground.

>>50553791
Would you say you had average sized hands? I just attempted it and was able to fit about fifteen myself.

>>50556070
>30 dice in a pool.
Cue the laughter and tears when someone drops them. That's awesome.

>>50558400
Wait you need metallic dice? What possible purpose does that serve?

>>50558303
I thought there had just been a big change in combat? I haven't read the combat file yet, just what's in the book. Also wanna ask their second question again:
What makes SoS bad outside combat? It simply hasn't had much done in the areas of not murdering?
>>
>>50559928
>I thought there had just been a big change in combat?
Compared to Riddle of Steel? Many particulars are different but the same basic structure is retained.

>What makes SoS bad outside combat?
It's boring and bland and not engaging. It's just kinda there.
>>
>>50560021
Should have been more specific, I thought SoS combat rules j just had an update.

So what's the practice if one wants to play SoS as something more than a combat simulator? Only use SoS when it's time to hack n slash?
>>
>>50525351

See above post for update. It's mainly a fix of the initiative process.
>>50560102

There's nothing really wrong with SoS outside of combat, it's just not as awesome as combat.

Oddly enough, the lethality of combat may make you try more noncombat solutions.
>>
>>50560102
>>50561197
In my experience, combat is relatively rare because people are terrified of getting their dicks cut off by a drunk bandit with a rusty sword. Noncombat is more common than you'd think. It's fine, everything works more or less with only a bit of fudging of Required Successes and the like. It's just a bog standard roll d10 count successes system. And that's fine. It's quick, it doesn't really get in the way.
>>
>>50562459
Any combat done in SOS tends to be quick and lethal, so any level of pragmatism is vital.
I ran a samurai who wore armor underneath his loose clothing, and had armor on his elbows so he could engage people in hand to hand if he was seperated from his swords. It worked rather well to against people that were reloading their arquebuses.
>>
>>50559928
L
O
D
E
S
OF
D
E
C
WOTS DAT SPELL?
LODSA DICE
probably
>>
>>50559928
It's not so much that SoS is bad outside of combat, it's just that it's more or less as barebones as one could possibly make it and still have it functional.

The core skill mechanic is also a standard Xd10 "count hits vs. required hits" mechanic with nothing to really differentiate it.
There's just nothing exciting about it. It's not bad, because it actually functions well enough, it's just extremely uninventive and uninteresting.
There's no real reason to switch to a different system for noncombat stuff, though one certainly could because the combat and noncombat parts are for the most part fairly disconnected. It's just really meh compared to the beautiful way the combat flows
>>
>>50563967
At least you tried.
>>
>>50564195
>is_this_guy_serious?.png
>>
>>50559928
SoS isn't bad outside of combat, it's just simple. There's nothing wrong with simplicity, but for people who came into the game through its combat and are used to this hyper-realistic in-depth dicefest, getting to Skills and seeing that it's dead simple can be a bit of a letdown.

I actually think it's brilliant. SoS is a game of wildly disparate complexity. Combat is super in-depth but everything else is pretty simple because why wouldn't it be? Combat is the only part of the game that needs to be in-depth, so it's the only part of the game that is.
>>
>>50565821
I for one eagerly await Sonata of Speeches
>>
>>50566104
Just for a curveball the setting should be an absurd space opera where chosen debaters take part in not-Stand rhetoric battles as part of a pan-galactic tournament.

Shonen Space Oprea if you will.
>>
>>50551164
Also, there's no reason to attack the chest. Wounds from every other location have the same numbers but aka have special effects, like knockdown chances. The chest is very easy to armor and no easier to hit than anywhere else. For these reasons no one ever attacks the chest.
>>
>>50564275
I take it I missed a reference.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rsb7dT6sEM

Tell us about Space Chile Jimmy.
>>
>>50568500
yeah: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON-7v4qnHP8
>>
>>50569304
Sorry my knowledge of Thatcher era British political satire sketch comedy songs is lacking.
>>
>>50556995
>In the days when Genosus's worship was yet unknown, it is said that there were many gods, who were bodies in the sky, rather than the Almighty Sun.

>It is said that these lesser gods once ruled the affairs of men, even walked among them and bred with them from time to time, and that their progeny were mighty and greater than regular men. Some even say that these beings were as strong as Paladins, and that some of them walk the land still. Some speak of a "Great Enemy," a tyrant and monster who sought to bring all men beneath his boot, and to destroy all other gods. To speak his name is forbidden. Only one man is said to know it, the oldest of Paladins, Grandmaster of the Hematite Order, Gaius Lucullus Sulla... And he is not of the talking sort.

>But these are just old pagan stories, and are, of course, heresy to even speak of in the light of day.
>>
>>50565821
This.
>>
>>50516069
I think it's a fine sentiment.

You'll just have to reign in some of the shit they do in like dispelliarmus or whatever
>>
>>50568762
Yeah, what's their cuisine like?
>>
>>50566104
You mean Rhythm of Rhetoric?
>>
File: CP30.jpg (53KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
CP30.jpg
53KB, 1280x720px
>>50578951
I can see it now, top level debates are like watching a god damn Dragon Ball Z Battle.

"Heh, you make a fine point... But how will it stand against my...
Litany
Of
LOGOS?"
>>
Why are there so few Advanced maneuvers? Esoteric is completely garbage when the only thing you make expensive for people is Simul Att/Parry

Dacian Rush; Deep Draw Cut; Half-Sword; Pommel Strike; One-Two Punch; Riposte; Shield Bind; Simultaneous Parry/Attack; Braced Shot; Power Draw.
That's it.

Only Riposte and Simultaneous Parry/Attack are commonly used there if you're not armored heavily.

Seems like more things should be Advanced honestly. Is Disarming really considered something anyone could do?
>>
>>50579514
>Why are there so few Advanced maneuvers?
Do you want more? You could take some from the Riddle of Steel books.
>>
>>50579514
And esoteric makes sim parry/attack harder to perform yourself, which is all someone with a quarterstaff should ever do.
>>
>>50578289
They subsist exclusively off of communist lifeblood, chilled and mixed with clamato.
>>
>>50582173
What the hell is clamato?
>>
File: No_Song_No_Sword.png (19KB, 1322x314px) Image search: [Google]
No_Song_No_Sword.png
19KB, 1322x314px
>>50579070
>Oh! Litany of LOGOS is a cunning first ploy he's trapping that villain in a cage of logic.
>>As Litany of LOGOS closes in you'll find you have no escape from my ice-cool analysis.
>>>Fufufu... Not quite, BEHOLD MY STAN-uh-PODIUM!!! BURNING APPEAL TO EMOTION!!!
*Flame noises* *Close-ups of shocked expressions*
>>Aghh!!! Impossible!
>No one has ever escaped Litany of LOGOS!!!
>>>You see my podium reaches peoples hearts and fills them with the fire to throw reason aside a perfesct counter to your icy LOGOS!

It's season 3 of No Song No Sword where they go into space for no reason.
>>
>>50579910
I don't want more maneuvers, I want more maneuvers to be Advanced, so it doesn't become a thing you just ignore because you forget its exists
>>
>>50586009
Honestly the solution to me seems to be to rework what Esoteric Schools do. The whole advanced/non-advanced maneuver shtick is antiquated anyway. Feels like a holdover from the times of Riddle where every proficiency had a different maneuver list with different activation costs for those maneuvers.
>>
>>50586258
Any idea on where you'll take it? Any of the suggestions from before?

Ban lists? High buy-in with rewards later? Stat improvement? Hidden techniques?
>>
>>50586258
Jim Jam, what do people do for fun in the void?
>>
>>50586618
We're looking at all the options. The premise of Esoteric Schools is that they force everyone "down" to essentially the same level. I.E., making people fight in the simplest way possible and removing all extraneous elements. That's the part of Esoteric Schools I like the most. But at the same time that's not always super practical.

So, we'll see. I am taking suggestions. I also want to get Esoterica out there sometime during the Kickstarter, which is coming very soon. We've got a whole host of new stuff to show you guys in the next few weeks.

>>50586853
Mostly what we do for fun. Or what we did back in the 1940s.

Drinking, eating, smoking, watching movies, etc. For some specific forms of entertainment:

The Chironites never abolished dueling, they only made it illegal for officers on active duty. Dueling halls where crowds can watch and bet on men fighting, sometimes to the death, are one of the country's national passtimes. It is actually considered more "fun" to watch people who don't know what they're doing fight than it is to watch masters duel, and amateur hours are very popular, including fights between drunks with bottles or truncheons, and having women (preferably women in some argument over a man) fight the traditional Schneidungknuppel--a pillowcase with a pair of doorknobs inside which was traditionally used to chase adulterers out of town.

The Rahoos love spectacle, and their favorite sort of spectacle is the sort that flies. Air races are enormously popular, as well as airplane stunts and death-defying maneuvers of the like. Going to The Airshow is the national passtime. Also much favored are boxing competitions and radio plays.

The Albish are more conservative in their tastes. As the birthplace of film and television, the Albish hold a near-monopoly on motion pictures. This has been exacerbated by the Black Wind wiping Hazelwood off the map, destroying the RoR's film industry.
>>
>>50587141
>very soon
An improvement!
>>
File: Ops_SoS_GURPS.png (1MB, 1948x578px) Image search: [Google]
Ops_SoS_GURPS.png
1MB, 1948x578px
>>50587141
>Jimmy write a setting
>Destroys not-hollywood

Marvellous.
>>
>>50579514
Superior Maneuvers are all Advanced too.
>>
File: nazi_girl.jpg (1023KB, 743x1150px) Image search: [Google]
nazi_girl.jpg
1023KB, 743x1150px
>>50568762
It's called Precipicio. Field Marshal Diego Soltar pulled a coup against the Yikong (commie) administration and massacred them all. Jimmy mentioend it once.

Soltar is Spanish for "drop" or "let go," which is probably a reference to Pincohet's habit of throwing people out of helicopters for disagreeing with him.

The best part of this is that this is a universe where Otto von Bismark, Adolf Hitler, Benito Mussolini and Augusto Pinochet are all alive at the same time, and probably friends.
If we're lucky Joseph Stalin is also still alive and just never became the ruler of the Soviet Union. Maybe he's some warlord in Volgin or whatever.
>>
File: 1436896225927.jpg (136KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
1436896225927.jpg
136KB, 500x378px
>>50587141
>Schneidungknuppel--a pillowcase with a pair of doorknobs inside
Fantastic
>>
>>50588296
>communists
>people
>>
>>50588919
I want to know the story behind this. Was it tradition that if someone committed adultery, everyone would contribute a doorknob to the pillowcase so that everyone in town could symbolically hit them in the ass on the way out?
>>
>>50587141
Wait, what's the Black Wind, and why did it destroy Hollywood? Is it like a void storm thing?
>>
>>50589154
The Chirocucks used black magic to destroy an entire race, and even all memory that they ever existed. This was probably the Space Jews. I'm betting that that's the "Black Wind." Everyone knows that something happened, but nobody is sure who they actually took out.

Didn't this also happen in SoS where the Orredin nuked Israel?
>>
File: Land of Glass and Sorrow.jpg (49KB, 634x900px) Image search: [Google]
Land of Glass and Sorrow.jpg
49KB, 634x900px
>>50589198
More or less.
>>
>>50587141
>The Rahoos love spectacle, and their favorite sort of spectacle is the sort that flies. Air races are enormously popular, as well as airplane stunts and death-defying maneuvers of the like.

confirmed D Y N A M I C
>>
As of today, the 8th, it has officially been 2 years since the release of v1.9.5.
>>
Look how far we've come.
>>
>>50587141
>We've got a whole host of new stuff to show you guys in the next few weeks.
Jimmy's honesty shimmers dimmer
>>
>>50587141
>The premise of Esoteric Schools is that they force everyone "down" to essentially the same level. I.E., making people fight in the simplest way possible and removing all extraneous elements
Why not add stuff that lets you force your opponent to act in a specific way
If you let Esoteric build up within itself like a magic school rather than a proficiency school, you could have internal talents.

Something like "On the next action, your opponent must use [Simple Maneuver] or pay X additional CP" or give boni to the Esotericist when attacked/defended against with something complex, or do something with consecutive actions of the same type reducing TNs but forbidding combined actions and maybe even quick defense completely.
Taking a cue from Call of the Void (whose talents are far, far more interesting than the quite frankly boring talents of SoS), one could add options for the esotericist to auto-remove successes from an opponent's attack if it's not a simple-ass attack

Hell, one way that could work that might be a bit odd is just reduce each combatant's CP by a flat amount. Obviously the person with more CP is affected the least, but this makes sense: a skilled esotericist makes an unskilled ordinary combatant look like a complete retard, but he's got no game against someone who knows what they're doing.
Like, imagine reducing each combatant's CP by a number equal to your proficiency level. Your esotericist would be capped at ADR which would kinda suck, but the opponent would also be heavily affected, maybe even more since they won't be specialized around that style.

And then some douche comes around with 20 Proficiency in Esoteric and literally invalidates anyone without at least ADR 8 and 12 proficiency levels
>>
>>50587400
I don't get the GURPS thing
>>
>>50592658
Looking up the quote it's some American politician whining about guns or something. I don't know if GURPs or anyone there has ever expressed an opinion on gun laws though. Must be a reference from their forums or something.
>>
>>50592643
>Taking a cue from Call of the Void (whose talents are far, far more interesting than the quite frankly boring talents of SoS)
Nigga they're the same thing
>>
>>50593007
All GURPS weapons have a Legality Class stat. Maybe that's it.
>>
>>50588290
Holy shit
That changes
EVERYTHING
not really but I didn't realize that, thanks for the pointer
>>
>>50593007
>>50592658
I'm pretty sure that's not the normal quote on the GURPS panel, but don't quote me on that.
>>
>>50593019
SoS talents
$Suck:
Shield Breaker
Impaler
Art of Eight Limbs
Swift Sword
Counter Attack
Slippery
Rapid Strike
Quick Reload
Spartan Sole
Juggernaut
Bruiser

$Boring:
Boar Piercer
Shield Trick
Head Guard
Kebab Master
Spear-Sunderer
Ironwall
Shield Charge
Rim Bash

$Alright
Helm Splitter
Stern
Superior Void
Slowpoke
Bear Piercer
Jarring Blows
Long Jab
Bonk!
Special Move
It Was On Purpose!

$Fun:
Accuracy
Rapid Reaction
Flourishing Drills
Good Form
Specialist
Infighter
Grappling at the Sword
Roll With It
Ground Wrestler
Stepping Parry
Straight Blast
Smash Punch
Rolling Hooks
Whirlwind Defense
Bad War
Flicker Jab
The Spear that Pierced the Sky

And that's being very generous
>>
>>50585034
Tomato juice flavored with clams. It's decent in bloody Marys but that's about it.
>>
>>50587141
>Schneidungknuppel
I guess you want Scheidungsknüppel, not Schneidungs[...]. Without an 'n' in there. "Scheidung" means divorce. "Schneiden" is "to cut".
But that sounds like a very fun way of entertaining yourself. Would definitely watch if there was something similair.
>>
>>50593371
In comparison, the Call of the Void talents seem to enable unorthodox playstyles very well, or give cool-ass maneuvers like the Mozambique Drill or I Am Huge

Personally talents are what I like least about SoS, next to the nonexistent layout
>>
>>50597088
Talents need to be things that change play style fundamentally. Different fighting styles entirely. Your talents should be your Talhoffer, your Fiore, and your endless variations of Kenjutsu.
>>
>>50598047
>your Fiore
I don't see an option for Grappling from a Counter. How am I supposed to represent Fiore correctly without it?
>>
Running this game is giving me cancer, jesus. I love it but between the rules and trying to figure out what happens in a given situation is mildly frustrating.
>>
>>50598240
By having a Talent that lets you do exactly that. Like Hilt Pushing, but you Clinch instead of entering a Hilt Push
>>
>>50598047
>Talents need to be things that change play style fundamentally.
Good news, that's what SoS talents do.
>>
>>50598240
>>50598610
You can already do that. You Hilt Push and then Hilt Push: Clinch from it. The jolt push system is garbage but it already facilitates what you're talking about.
>>
>>50599582
Many do. Flourishing Drills is my favorite, because I like making Polish saber fencers.
>>
>>50593371
>Art of Eight Limbs
>suck
You don't even know
You do not even know how good it is to be able to feint from unarmed to unarmed moves
>opponent thinks you're doing a TN 8 or 7 grapple
>jklol it's really a TN 5 punch
>>
>>50600784
>opponent thinks you're doing a TN 8 or 7 grapple
>jklol it's really a TN 5 punch
I can't imagine feinting from grappling attempt into punch in real life
>>
>>50600848
You go low into a tackle, but instead superman punch the guy in the dick.
>>
So when is this game coming out?
>>
>>50601528
never
v
e
r
>>
>>50601528
s o o n
o
o
n
>>
>>50601528
Tuesday
>>
>>50601099
Wait, what's the TN for headbutts?
>>
>>50601528
Very Soon
>>
>>50605056
>>50600848
TN 6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eC12fYZr-U
>>
>Warhammer TW Wood Elf expansion is total garbage
>SoS is now the only game with un-ruined elves
>>
>>50609610
Oh?
>>
>>50609644
The wood monsters faction is supposed to be pretty good, but the elves themselves have serious problems. Their economy is complete fuckery, their settlements don't have walls, and you end up with like four-army stacks of Beastmen rushing your magical tree, and if they destroy it you lose. The only way to expand is to attack other elves, too, or to colonize empty settlements.

If you can somehow penetrate out of the wall of elves and goatfuckers, you can fight the Brettonians and build strip clubs in the ruins of their castles, though. That's pretty hype.
>>
>>50609690
Beastman, okay, but other elves?
Not, say, dwarves? That live in those mountains that surround Athel Loren on three sides?

It occurs to me that I've never looked at that game's map.
>>
Is it normal for horse trampling damage to equal to weight? You can easily get 60+ damage that way.
>>
>>50610366
They went a bit far making cavalry strong asf in SoS.
>>
>>50600784
>oh wait either way I'm doing a useless move with asstons of penalties
>>
>>50599582
Some do, most don't
+1 CP here and there changes nothing
>>
This seems like as good a place as any to ask, but what are some ways one could lose an eye in medieval combat without dying?
>>
>>50612855
Get stabbed on the eye, but not through the skull. Or take a cut to the face that bursts the eye.
>>
>>50613999
Adding to this, spalling from a blow to a helmet, or even just a severe impact to the skull could destroy an eye or pop it out without killing.
>>
>>50611738
I disagree, it changes something, its just not as big as other things. Personally, I love the +1cp abilities because it adds free dice. If I do a maneuver that gains +1 cp from a talent both actions, then I effectively have a die pool 2 higher. Admittedly, at higher levels this becomes less impact, but the power increase at low cp levels lends itself to a beautiful advantage. Plus, one free die to an attack roll increases the chances of getting a higher wound level because it affects the pool size.
>>
>>50612855
Jousting
>>
>>50610366
Also notice when fighting s cavalryman nothing stops you from trampling the rider or the horse individually
Trampling is ridiculous but no one at Opaque ever used cavalry rules and noticed it
>>
>>50616010
Expanding on that, splinters or shards from say a broken lance or roof tiles frenchwomen are chucking from the town's walls at you.

Siege warfare in general for all sorts of injuries beyond simple weapon strikes. Boiling sand/water/oil, falling rocks shattering, tripping over and impaling your silly face on a sharp bit of flint, rubble flying everywhere, Greek Fire.

Getting bashed in the face with a blunt weapon, horses hooves or shield rim that crushes the eye enough to render you blind or even having a rivet or edge of aforementioned blunt instrument catch and rip.

Eyes are pretty fragile things, and plenty of injuries can mess them up while not killing you.
>>
>>50616518
Heck, you can lose an eye just from getting punched.
>>
>>50515793
>literally birds for scale

turrble
>>
>>50617717
Holy shit, is that why artists always put birds in pictures?
>>
>>50612855
getting beat with a stick.
Sticks are humanity's oldest weapon. Right after hands and fists of course.

Seriously though, sticks.
>>
File: surely you joust.jpg (48KB, 634x423px) Image search: [Google]
surely you joust.jpg
48KB, 634x423px
>>50616010
>>
>>50622214
>jousting in sallet
Even in a mocking joust it looks extremely unsafe
>>
>>50618646
Yeah, common technique.
>>
File: denied.jpg (12KB, 274x184px) Image search: [Google]
denied.jpg
12KB, 274x184px
>>50622406
Agreed.
>>
>>50620641
Fists would work too, though.
>>
I'm attempting to write a thing and it mentions Song of Swords. Is there a permanent site or something somewhere? http://www.opaquegames.com/ is down, apparently. I don't know if this is temporary or they just gave up on said website.
>>
>>50629237
You could link to the Tattered Realms wiki but that's kind of sad.
>>
>>50629237
Just link the thread.
>>
>>50629237
Holy fuck, since when is the site down? RIP in peace.

If you are okay with linking to 4chins you can link to 4chan.org/tg/sos that will redirect to the catalog with sos in the search field. But there are times when there's no thread so ... Dunno
>>
>>50630853
>>50630878
The thread will be dead by the time I throw it out there. I wound up finding http://opaqueind.site90.net/index.php?ID=faq and using it as the link.
>>
>>50572570
The great enemy is Genosus isn't it?
>>
>>50629237
Can we read this thing?
>>
>>50631084
I'll post it when I'm done.
>>
>>50631109
>>50629237
What is the thing? Some sort of exposé on underground neo-nazi methods of obfuscating their allegiances?
>>
>>50632066
yes.
>>
Is that one nice anon who reformatted the rules in LaTeX still around? Because it's clear Jimmy still hasn't figured out document design.

If that anon isn't still around I think I'm going to run it through LaTeX myself...
>>
>>50632066
>>50632203
That'd be Laser Whales though. SoS is too slavophile to have anything to do with Natzis.
>>
>>50632273
How so? Barring Serbs oppressing Englishmen and notDracula in the fanciest suit of armor, Slavs in SoS aren't too powerful or influential.
>>
>>50632066
We're not neo-Nazis! We're more like facist-capitalist that really push the history angle.

Romantic-Fascism if you will.
>>
>>50632335
Between Osterbija, Dace and the Zells, you probably have a full half of all of the major plot elements in the setting. It isn't Slavophilic so much as South-Slav centric.
>>
>>50632382
Speak for yourself, I'm a cynically moderate socialist.
>>
>>50630906

>When is the Public Beta coming out?
>It is scheduled for June 12th.

>When's the Kickstarter?
>As soon as our social media blitz reaches full tilt and we feel comfortable that we will success. Our current projections suggest that we will launch sometime around the release of our Public Beta. The most likely date is June 19th.

>Copyright Opaque Industries 2013 all rights reserved.

How the time flies, eh?
>>
>>50632599
>>50632382
We have all sorts. You've got Jimmu's rabidly Free Market ideals, you've got some genuine fashy sorts, you've got a lot of fairly generic moderates, constitutionalists, liberals, etc. And then a few Socialists who Jimmy used to get into hilarious flamewars with.

Generally a very politically diverse board. I'm still very proud of how lighthearted everything was on election night. A few Mike Pence jokes and Jimmy "All Socialists should be tortured to death with blowtorches and knives" Rome admitting that he voted for Jill stein, and then everyone just sort of moved on.
>>
File: Roughest of drafts.png (156KB, 816x1056px) Image search: [Google]
Roughest of drafts.png
156KB, 816x1056px
>>50632218
I'm still around Anon, I just fell for Jimmy's sweet, sweet lies since he said that it'd come out Very Soonâ„¢ just after I offered to set it up in LaTeX

I think I'll just set it up at this point, since clearly I was a fool. Maybe make an Overleaf project so people can follow along and propose improvements

I do have shitloads of work nowadays though, but it shouldn't be too much effort to set it up.
>>
>>50633394
Note, I didn't even begin before you posted, because Jimmy lied and my motivation diedd
>>
How should I handle target zone modifiers for mounted combatants?
>>
>>50633593
Good question, where's Rhade when you need him?
>>
>>50635141
Mounted v Mounted seems like it should translate fine, but it seems like it should be a lot harder to to hit the head of a mounted enemy than the feet when unmounted, even with a Long reach weapon. I thought about just flipping the table but that seemed clumsy.
>>
>>50636033
Jimmy promised to investigate making a new "from below the waist" TZM table for me, once.
A long time ago.
>>
File: Jimmy Rome's Promises.jpg (81KB, 640x365px) Image search: [Google]
Jimmy Rome's Promises.jpg
81KB, 640x365px
>>50636128
>Jimmy's promises
>>
>>50633394
I'll be motivated after my finals are over, if you'd like a break from the task. I do think setting up an overleaf project would be ideal though---given the need to manually set up a lot of the tables and references, having multiple people working on a shared document might be better. Alternately, I can see about arranging a github repository, since I've often found that nicer than overleaf for writing with others in LaTeX.
>>
>>50636033
It would work in a pinch at least.
>>
>>50636033
Seconded. Some work is definitely necessary to bring the mounted combat up to speed, though it is pretty good given the amount of testing it got in the threads (next to none)
>>
>>50633394
You're still a hero, anon.
>>
>>50637997
I'm not at all knowledgeable about anything computer science, but I went ahead and set up a GitLab repo at https://gitlab.com/phzero/Song-of-Swords-reorganization.git

I have no idea how any of this works, so just about every setting is at its default value. Also not sure if I could dox myself with this, but it's all a learning experience
>>
>>50645500
I can't say I've seen GitLab before. I've done plenty with GitHub, but I'll see what I can do for you with this in a few days.
>>
>>50633593
Don't. TZMs are garbage.
>>
>>50646903
Not having TZMs seems ridiculous
>>
>>50646960
Greaves become very important at that point.
>>
>>50515793
Holy fuck No Song, No Sword is real Matt and Lindy are going to be on the new series of Time Commanders!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a96OkyC39Y
>>
>>50649292
...Why is one of Lloyd's eyes all fucked up?
>>
>>50649440
Colour contact lens I assumed.
>>
>>50649292
I knew that the new TC model was PvP, but not that they were getting people kinda sorta related to military history for the sides.

Only two more days before I can see Matt Easton repeatedly thrust into hapless youtubers rears.
>>
>>50637612
>Not edited to "I realized there was no fecht"
>>
>>50646960
Tell that to BoB devs
>>
>>50646960
>>50649292
Speaking of BoB devs did you guys know Lloyd is actually his last name?
http://www.grandheresyforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=261
>>
Does anyone have the text list of the Ballad real world equivalents?
>>
>>50640960
It just occurred to me though. Can you even realistically attack a mounted combatant in the groin? I'm legitimately curious.
>>
>>50651793
Warpick. I can attack anything I want with a warpick.
>>
>>50651793
Those high saddles should give a nice AV bonus if you can.
>>
>>50649440
It's claimed by some that Hannibal had Ophthalmia, does that make your eye look all fucked up?
>>
>>50651415
No, but:
Wesel=Austro-Hungary
Deventer=Belgium-Netherlands
Chiron=German Reich/Third Reich
Arlon=France
Lucani=Italy
CIS=United Kingdom
-Hibernia=Scotland
-Albion=England
Hiramoto=Imperial Japan
Rahoo=American South Africa South America
Cervant=Spain

And from ones I've seen people mention from their own campaigns, you can steal:
Biskra=Algeria
Van Xuan=Vietnam
>>
>>50653858
I've also got Strupp in my campaign, which is Prague-Constantinople-Yharnam. That's a fun campaign. I'll storytime it some time.
>>
>>50653133
You'd need to penetrate a whole lot of leather.
>>
>>50650782
>http://www.grandheresyforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=261
> One day, I'll shake Jimmy Rome's hand.
Huh.
>>
>>50649292
>"Lloyd was a fantastic general, he was Hannibal Barca incarnate I would say."
- Matt Easton
>>
>>50649292
>Skallagrim is a manlet
>>
>>50649292
>We just showed up and they died
>Yes, that's the approximation of our tactics

Damn, I'm going to run a game just so I can use this exchange somewhere.
>>
>>50649292
I'm really happy they got along well in real life. One step closer to No Song, No Sword indeed.
>>
>>50652500
>>50653133
Sure, but in terms of TMZ for a mounted target, groin would have to be pretty rough, like -4.
>>
>>50659138
What is No Song, No Sword?
>>
>>50659508
The new hit summer anime No Song, No Sword, Matt Easton is sword master from the Far West and an up-and-coming idol looking to discover the world’s most ancient fechten books and finally have number one hit single. He'll have to sing and slash his to the top if he wants to fulfil his dreams.

On his journey he’ll have his friends Lindy the empty-headed academic and Skall the amazing sword walrus to watch his back through duels and dance-offs.

He’ll encounter a number of colourful characters like James Ruvia the rouge genital mutilator; his devious yet charming rival Roland-San; the villainous shitposters of the SoS thread and the fantastic yet perverted ghost of Johannes Liechtenauer!

Sounds scary but with his fanbase behind him there's nothing this hero can't do! Join us because the fecht is starting NOW!!!
>>
>>50659476
>not being able to hit things in the groin
I want no part of this.
>>
>>50659581
>rouge
>>
>>50662251
That's the pasta, changing it now would break with tradition. Although I'm not entirely sure the implication that Jimmy is a red is an accident.
>>
File: 1466061100651-0.jpg (75KB, 730x722px) Image search: [Google]
1466061100651-0.jpg
75KB, 730x722px
>>50657380
I am the friendly sort of snek.
>>
>>50664087
You guys talk to the BoB guys much?
>>
>>50527177
Reservoir Dogs is required viewing.
>>
>>50646188
>>50645500
So, because I am a fucking moron, I set up a new repo at https://gitlab.com/phzero/SoS-LaTeX.git

The reason for this is that I didn't quite get why my commits didn't get pushed. Currently I'm using my Wangblows machine, so I couldn't quite figure out what was wrong, but I realized later that I had just forgotten to Push the fucking commits because the GUI confused me greatly

I realized this only after I had deleted the previous repo

I am an idiot
>>
File: TIME_COMMANDERS.jpg (99KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
TIME_COMMANDERS.jpg
99KB, 1280x720px
>>50649292
BBC 4 in half an hour, GET READY YOU SLUTS!!!
>>
>>50664118
Not often, but we have exchanged a few words at times. Mostly I pointed out which of their ideas I thought were the best. We also have some men who frequent their forums, so I'm sure some of our thoughts make it there eventually through other routes.

Nice people. Great looking game.
>>
File: time_commanders.jpg (36KB, 462x260px) Image search: [Google]
time_commanders.jpg
36KB, 462x260px
>>50664531
Links!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcfour
>>
>>50664852
This is now the official Time Commanders talkback thread right?
>>
>>50664876
Well you could go to total war general in /vg/ but...
>>
>>50664852
Some cool archaeology on right now.
>>
>>50664852
btw Americans if you can get it, there's no mid-show breaks on the BBC so go for a quick piss now if you think you need it.
>>
>>50664902
Literally just /SoS/ without Zellgirls.
>>
>>50664531
>>50664852
>New series of Time Commanders
>After all these years
>Matt Easton and Lindy as competitors

Absolutely glorious.
https://youtu.be/IfeyUGZt8nk
>>
>>50665051
Hang on, I was promised No Song No Sword.

Who are this crowd of wreslers and boardgamers?
>>
>>50664500
Anon, I'm pretty comfortable with git on the command line, and VCS in general. Would you like me take over managing repositories? I've been meaning to set up some accounts to drop a few Java and Python tools for the thread anyway. I would personally rather work on github than gitlab, since I think their issues/milestones systems are better, but we can stick with gitlab if you want.
>>
>>50665189
Yeah, oh well I'm sure we can ask Matt on his channal what's u.

Still fun.
>>
>>50665189
>>50665261
I imagine they're in another episode. They probably didn't know what order they would be in when it was filmed.
>>
Glaswegians take first blood winning their skirmish against the AI, let's see how the nerds do.
>>
>>50665306
It was definately Zama with Hannibal in Matt's preview.

Maybe we get a rerun by "professionals" after the amateurs have had their battle in order to fill the full hour?
>>
Guys sorry to disappoint but the fight with Matt and Lindy won't be aired on TV. Matt said so in his latest video in the comment section.

The fight was recorded for web content only. So we will see but we don't know when.
>>
Also what is this "No Song No Sword"?
>>
>>50665564
The greatest anime/manga never.
>>
>>50665245
Being outside the CLI was what fucked me over, really. The GUI is just confusing as hell.

If this were a "real" project I'd be all for handing the leadership over, but I think this might actually be a good time to learn it.

There's not much "real" work to do, so I don't have to worry about any true deadlines, and I enjoy learning things I don't really understand as of yet.

That said, with those additional tools also being useful, I think it might be best if you took over. I also have nothing against migrating to GitHub, I picked GitLab for no particular reason.

Do note that my competence is limited, though, so I might not be of great help, honestly, but I'll try to make sure I pull my weight.
>>
>>50665592
That's not Blue/Blue
>>
>>50665592
Is this some sort of meme?
>>
File: BBC_Bants.png (887KB, 1014x650px) Image search: [Google]
BBC_Bants.png
887KB, 1014x650px
Savage.
>>
>For the glory of my ancestors
>By Jupiter we have them

These are my kind of autists.
>>
>>50665626
The tools I'm talking about aren't terribly useful for the document, they're intended as game aids. The one I'm currently working on churns out randomized NPC combatants, and I might try to make a sort of tutorial mini-game as well. I might be misinterpreting you, but I figured I'd try to be clear about what purposes things serve. I'll start a repository to migrate things over for with GitHub later today, though I won't be terribly active with actually working for another few days.
>>
>>50665830
>I'm going to have to write the letters to their mothers.

He's a goddamn roleplayer.
>>
>>50665874
Yeah, I getcha. I knew what you meant, I just have a habit of mentioning things that don't really relate to the conversation at hand.

I had myself considered a simple CP-tracking maneuver resolution tool (mostly to speed up damage/armor stuff), but I'd have to actually learn a real programming language to start work on that, so I've been putting it off.

I imagine I shouldn't bother Pushing my recent edits to the GitLab repo if you already have the files?

I mean, what I have is completely worthless, so I don't mind starting from scratch either, might be way smarter honestly.
>>
>>50665961
I haven't pulled anything from your repo as of yet, so I don't have any of your .tex files. Just keep them in hand to push to the github repo later I guess?
>>
File: Our_guy.jpg (84KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
Our_guy.jpg
84KB, 1024x576px
>>50665879
>I AM WOKEN IN ELYSIUM

This fucking champion died for Rome on national telly, what have you done /SoS/?
>>
>>50665998
Roger dodger cap'n
>>
>>50666083
Well, the Romans did manage to pull their fingers out in the end. They lacked initiative at first, and threw away the opportunity to win much earlier when Carthage was hopelessly divded but the second half of the battle was well managed

Carthage sadly threw away much of their cavalry and all the elephants for little gain. While they managed to regroup after a well-called time-out, they lacked a real plan of how to get things back on track.

Roman communication, particulary towards the end was concise and clear which allowed Scipio to keep a handle on his army whenever a problem arose. And good on them for getting into character.

It will be interesting to contrast this battle with Matt and Lindy's if we get to see all it, with how people more versed in military history (and TW) handle managing a battlefield.
>>
>>50666298
Here's the new repo:

https://github.com/progamanon/latexed-SOS/tree/master

mind giving me a username so I can add you as a collaborator?
>>
>>50665564
>>50665718
It's a copypasta from /SoS/, so yes.

See >>50659581
>>
>>50664087
Jimmu, tell me a story about Dwarves.
>>
https://twitter.com/BBCFOUR/status/808356349427978240?lang=en-gb

>Matt and Lindy raped TomSka
just when I thought today couldn't improve.
>>
As someone who's not played the system yet, would trying to get a one or two shot game in with a bunch of tabletop noobs be an awful adventure?

>>50664964
Super late but Zellgirls? Do want.
>>
>>50664087
>>50668627

I second a Dwarven story.
>>
File: Slate_troll.jpg (60KB, 1619x157px) Image search: [Google]
Slate_troll.jpg
60KB, 1619x157px
>>50670174
On the subject of lore, it's canonical that Paladins' victims can hear metal when they're being tracked.

What should I play for my players when they piss off God and he sends a divine hitman after them? They're not really into metal so it has to be something recognizable.
>>
>>50670277
>Burn down an unemployment office
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izWv6n3QdDE
>>
>>50670277
While that post proves that Jimmy is the top tier of DM, it doesn't explicitly have to be metal. A Paladin whose sign is that the victim hears his crimes whispered over and over in his ear as though by someone an inch away would be just as terrible.
Real telltale heart potential there. And once the knowledge of this comes around, people in-setting would probably start imagining that they're being hunted by Paladins, too. Ever had a song stuck in your head? Imagine if it were common knowledge that having a song stuck in your head was a sign that one of God's personal shit-stomping machines was hunting you.

So you can't get the Bonkers the Bobcat theme out of your head. Who's coming to kill you? Thinking about it only makes it worse, too.
>>
>>50669939
You'll probably want to make sure you've got everything down system wise. Some of it can be kind of iffy to understand if you using RAW because of how poorly laid out everything is.
>>
>>50669939
No, not at all. That's how I learned the game and it was a blast. We just fucked around doing combats until everyone had a decent understanding of the rules.

Once you get your guys running some combats between each other they'll basically teach themselves the rules, guaranteed. Each new maneuver they learn is like a secret weapon that they'll want to use. Like learning an old fighter game before they had movelists in the pause screen. Everything you learn how to use is a new tool that nobody can replicate until you teach it to them.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CA-5btmXvw
>>
>>50671850
I'll be sure to go over it probably twice more. That explanation of combat up thread, while not directed at me, made things damn clear, I ought to screen cap it.

>>50672038
>Run combats between players
>It's gonna be like fighters back when you had to learn the moves the hard way
Oh yeah i think you've sold me.

Hope no one wants to be a witch or something that's actually going to fight with magic, beyond that I think they're going to look at the last of weapons and armour with tears in their eyes - one of joy, the others in horror. Gonna be good times.
>>
>>50664852
>BBc iPlayer only works in the UK
Unforgivable
>>
>>50672038
Not the same guy, but that is a genius idea.

Probably gonna make an arena low power one shot/two shot winner continous til someone defeats him kinda game.
>>
>>50675737
You could have a whole of stable of pregen characters, each with a particular weapon or maneuver gimmick.

When your gladiator is defeated, pull out a new fighter that showcases another aspect of the game and get back into the action.
>>
Is SoS anywhere near completion? How diferrent is it from TRoS or BotIT?
>>
>>50676238
Like a bunch of maneuver cards that are handed alongside each sheet, and then they can only use the maneuvers for which they know the rules in full; the cards that they received, unless their memory is exceptional?
>>
>>50672159
If anyone wants to fight with magic, you just say "no"
You can't use something that doesn't exist
>>
>>50676374
>Is SoS anywhere near completion?
The rules are quite fleshed out already, I think. Magic is not in the main PDF, but there is some in Ballad and in another PDF.

>How diferrent is it from TRoS or BotIT?
The things that differ the most from TRoS is magic and SA (which is now called Arc). Magic (at least as seen in Ballad and one supplement) is not freeform as it was in TRoS, but a list you choose from. Like maneuvers. Well, at least for void magic and Dark Pyromancy. There's also the Way of Five that works differently. Void Magic and Way of Five are from ballad, Dark Pyromancy will end up in SoS afaik and is currently in a seperate PDF.
The way Arc/SA work differently is that it does not grant bonuses anymore if you do something related to that Arc.
Don't know much about Botits, so I can't say how that compares.
With all that said, I'm no expert. I may be wrong on some things.
>>
>>50676389
My problem with that approach are some maneuvers have stupid specific requirements of effects that aren't worth memorizing. That sort of stuff should be on hand to look at. Like whether Hew and Break work when you meet the damage number, or when you exceed it. Besides, those maneuvers have changed over the editions of the game, which used to come out semi-frequently. It'd be bad to memorize an outdated version of the maneuver.
But yeah, make notes beforehand for what each gladiator's game plan is. A guy with a flail or weeaboo ninja fighting chain will want to attack often so he shows off the Chain rule
>>
Since whoever started it forgot to link here's the new thread.
>>50679073
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.