[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/d&d/, I need to learn how to play bridge in time for Christmas.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: these are cards.png (6KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
these are cards.png
6KB, 259x194px
/d&d/, I need to learn how to play bridge in time for Christmas. Can you drop some tips?

I ask because I'll be staying with some rich relatives and it is apparently holy law that everyone play. I've already been coached on napkin etiquette and the rest, but bridge stumps me.
>>
>>50514219
i've always wanted to learn how to play this as well, sorry can't help OP
>>
>>50514219
well, i found a web 1.0 website about Bridge, i dont know if it would help though
http://www.rpbridge.net/1a00.htm
>>
>>50514219
>/d&d/
Fuck off and kill yourself faggot.

Though it would be a good idea to create a containment board for deendeefags and 40kids.
>>
Alright. Imma pity you and give you as brief and overview as I can, assuming you understand the basics of trick taking games and trump suits.

The actual gameplay is piss easy. Whoever is on lead (person who won the last trick, or left of declarer on the first trick) plays any card, and everyone must follow suit if able. High card takes the trick, trumps override all (so 2 of trump beats any non-trump ace)

The one word that probably seemed out of place was "declarer". That's the guy who determines how many tricks your team needs to score points, and who chooses the trump suit if there is one. Who becomes declarer depends on the bidding (cont)
>>
>>50518194
>BIDDING

Bidding is probably the second most complex thing in Bridge (the most complex is scoring and they probably won't have you do that) but it's kind of that way on purpose. After all, you have to describe your hand as best you're able using only 15 words (the numbers 1 through 7, the 5 trump choices, "pass", "double", and "redouble")

Any bid of (Number) (Suit) is saying "My partner and I can take (Number+6) tricks out of the 13 if (Suit) is trump. A bid of "1 club" says you can take 7 tricks with clubs as trump. A bid of "3 hearts" means you can take 9 tricks if hearts is trump, and 6 no trump means you can take 12 of the 13 tricks without a trump suit.

Each bid must either pass, double/redouble, or be above the last bid. Obviously a claim of 2 hearts is higher than 1 spade, but on the same row it goes in alphabetical order - Clubs < Diamonds < Hearts < Spades < No trump

"Pass" means you don't want to bid. If three players pass in a row, then the last made bid stands, and whoever made the FIRST BID of that suit is Declarer. You ARE allowed to bid later after having passed before, though.

"Double" is basically saying "fuck off you can't make that bid and we'll double the point value of the hand." - however any other bid voids the double; it only applies if bidding is passed out after the double.

"Redouble" is basically "oh fuck you we are too making this bid and we're QUADRUPLING the points because we're that fucking good." - obviously you can only redouble after an opponent doubled you, and any further bidding negates the redouble.
>>
>>50518405
Now whenever the bid gets passed out, whoever first named the suit is DECLARER, as mentioned and the guy to his left plays the first card of the first trick. Declarer's partner, who goes next, is the DUMMY. He lays his hand face up on the table and no longer gives a shit about the hand. Declarer is playing both hands, dummy won't do anything more than play the cards declarer tells him to, and scoops up tricks sometimes.

So now every player can see both their own hand, and the dummy hand. This gives declarer an advantage in that he knows all the cards in his partnership's hand, and by proxy knows all the cards his opponents (the DEFENDERS) have in their hands. However, he doesn't know which defender has what cards - except by observing the bidding which can let him guess.
>>
>>50518568
>SCORING

The technicalities about scoring are mostly benign and won't be handled by you. But there are some things you'll need to be aware of.

Each bridge match is usually done as a RUBBER, which is a Best-of-3 match. Each GAME of the rubber is the first to 100 GAME POINTS, which is based on the bids that were made.

If you declare CLUBS or DIAMONDS as Trump,it's the bid number x 20 POINTS for your game score - so you need a bid of 5 CLUBS or 5 DIAMONDS to get the 100 points you need for game.

For HEARTS or SPADES, it's the bid number x 30 POINTS for your game score. So you only need a made bid of 4 HEARTS or 4 SPADES to get your 100 points (the 20 points extra mean little)

with a NO TRUMP bid, you get 40 POINTS for the first trick bid, plus 30 POINTS for each additional trick. So a bid of 3 NO-TRUMP is enough for 100 game points.

These bid levels (5C, 5D, 4H, 4S, 3NT) are called "GAME BIDS" and oftentimes when your bidding reaches this level it'll stop - because if you make that bid you'll win that game of the rubber.
>>
>>50518672
>MORE SCORING
There are other scoring that's done, but the game score is "Above the Line" while everything else is "Below the Line"

When you bid to take, say, 9 Hearts tricks (with a Bid of 3 Hearts) but end up taking 10, you get the Game Points for the 3 Hearts bid above the line, plus overtrick points (20 points if Clubs or Diamonds was trump, 30 points otherwise)

If you bid 3 Hearts (taking 9 tricks in hearts) but only take 8 or less, those are UNDERTRICKS and the defenders score points - 50 points per trick fewer than what you bid.

When the contract is doubled, these bonus points are jacked up considerably. A doubled Contract pays out a whopping 100 points per overtrick, and 200 if the contract was redoubled.

For undertricks the scoring is also magnified if doubled/redoubled - the first undertrick is worth 100 points, the second and third are 200 each, and each trick AFTER that is 300 points - and those are doubled again if the contract is redoubled.

Contracts at the 6 and 7 levels are called "SLAM CONTRACTS" because you're saying your opponents will get 1 trick (or even 0 tricks). A 6-level contract that is made scores 500 bonus points for a "small slam" and a 7-level contract - where you say you're going to take all 13 tricks and actually pull it off, is worth 1000 points.
>>
>>50516692
/tg/ started out as 40k containment board..
>>
>>50518861
>EVEN MORE SCORING

HONORS BONUSES are scored for having lots of high trump cards. It's 100 for having four cards to a royal flush in trump (10 J Q K A), and 150 points for having a trump royal flush OR having all four aces in a no-trump contract.

>VULNERABLE
Once you've won a game in the rubber, your team is "vulnerable" - Overtricks when doubled and vulnerable are 200 apiece, 400 if vulnerable redoubled. Your opponents also get double points for undertricks. Slam bonuses are also multipled by 1.5x, meaning 750 for a small slam, 1500 for a "grand slam".

Finally, there's the RUBBER BONUS. If you win the rubber 2-0, you get 700 points (usually this is insult upon injury, very rarely will you win the rubber 2-0 and still need the 700 point bonus to win) If you win the rubber 2-1, it's a 500 point bonus, which can be very relevant.

I can go on if OP wants.
>>
>>50514219
Use the tricks until you can summon a level 7 monster, by then you'll be winning
>>
>>50518935
Well, we need another one.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.