[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any way to recycle the Truth from FMA without it feeling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: oQ3jF.jpg (111KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
oQ3jF.jpg
111KB, 1024x576px
Is there any way to recycle the Truth from FMA without it feeling like an eye rolling rehash? I feel like plenty of fantasy has used this kind of plot device, but I'm rather certain the comparison will always be drawn against FMA.

I suppose if I did something as simple as made it a demon offering the knowledge and power, no one would even notice, but I like the idea of having to step into a different reality in order to surpass your limitations.
>>
What is it?
>>
>>50500411
People do blasphemy evil magic to summon the gate and then ask for the Truth, it then gives it to them, the knowledge and capability to do what it is they're trying to do, unless it's literally impossible, and in exchange, it takes and equivalent payment, typically in flesh.

It makes an average alchemist a master alchemist. It would make a master scientist the most brilliant in the world. But it has a cost.

In FMA it shows up when alchemists are trying to use their magic to bring the dead back to life.
>>
>>50500411
"Who am I? One name you might have for me is The World, or you might call me The Universe, or perhaps God, or perhaps the Truth. I am all and I am one, so of course this also means that I am you."

When Alchemists try to do human transmutations he is invoked.
He takes something from you (proportinal to what you were trying to accomplish) and gives you knowledge of the secrets of the universe in exchange of what he took.

In Fullmetal Alchemist he took one arm and one leg from Edward and the entire body of Alphonse (the two protags).
>>
The concept is broad and generic enough that unless you really rip off the trappings and specific details you should be good, powerful beings whom mortals seek to gain power and they give it but at a cost are fairly generic.
>>
>>50500359
If it's just a creature granting power at a cost, that's not that odd.

Add in being dragged into another world, or perhaps merely just having time stopped while you're propositioned? That's odd, but not impossible.

The key aspect of FMA's Truth is how it's power granted for transgression regardless of intention or will, regardless of who you are, with a tailored punishment, which you cannot opt out of.
>>
>>50500359
Issue is, that particular character's an idiot.

But there are plenty of 'forbidden power' stories. You can even straight do a Conan "sacrifice to me for power" deal.
>>
>>50507056
This, so is the idea of forbidden knowledge, or paying for that knowledge.
>>
File: IMG_1842.png (1018KB, 650x897px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1842.png
1018KB, 650x897px
>>50500359
Do a reclusive Voodoo witch, those are always fun.
>>
>>50507263
Why is Adam holding the apple here?
>>
>>50507443
He isn't, Lucifer is holding it in front of him.

https://youtu.be/6zYo6d7_EUQ?t=1m44s
>>
>>50507536
Oh I see, didn't notice the black hand
>>
File: The Truth.jpg (45KB, 1120x666px) Image search: [Google]
The Truth.jpg
45KB, 1120x666px
I swear, this ending was the best part of the entire show.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.