[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Latest News Druid UA is out! http://dnd.wizards.com/arti

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 396
Thread images: 30

File: IMG_0252.jpg (59KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0252.jpg
59KB, 500x250px
>Latest News
Druid UA is out! http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/druid-circles-and-wild-shape
Be sure to fill out the survey on last week's clerics.

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous Thread: >>50490595

How do you handle long distance travel? As a DM, how do you do random encounters for the days which your players are traveling? Assume that you're traveling on horses for several days.
>>
File: IMG_0125.jpg (15KB, 251x314px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0125.jpg
15KB, 251x314px
>>50495650
First for I fucking forgot the title
>>
>>50495267
pls respond
>>
>>50495665
FOUR TIMES IN TWO DAYS
WHAT THE FUCK, PEOPLE
>>
My sorcerer homebrew is halfway done with the initial over buff phase.
>>
>>50495679
I'm sorry I stayed up late last night trying to finish my campaign even though I have work early

I'm also at work posting from fone
>>
>>50495677
Holy shit, why do you need confirmation, do what you gotta do.
>>
>>50495699
I don't, I just can't tell if people are actually against 8 Int casters for some reason. I don't get it.
>>
> people around me only go for big damage
> they rushed sharpshooter, GWM before maxing out their STR/DEX.
> miss their attack half of the time
>>
>>50495707
Not 8 INT caster. 8 INT Wizard.

I think the discussion was actually spark from a guy playing Greatsword Sorcerer with
16 STR 14 DEX 16 CON 8 INT 8 WIS and 10 CHA though.
>>
File: 1479732857955.png (4MB, 1920x1634px) Image search: [Google]
1479732857955.png
4MB, 1920x1634px
>>50495650
Some days ago, there was a discussion about magic systems, on the worldbuilding general, if I recall correctly.
In one of the mentioned magic systems, one drew mana from around you, and you have a max mana, e.g. 10, and then you have a max amount of mana you can draw each round, a percentage, like 25%, for example.
I quite like this system. Wizards don't blow their load on the first round and it also adds a more tactical perspective to magic (do you want to use a minor spell now or save the mana for later?).

Anyways, I'd like to convert this to 5e, and would like some help as I'm poor at balancing. (and pretty much everything else)
What do you think about a lvl 1 spell needs 2 mana , and each lvl 1 spell slot grants 2 mana?

Maybe max_mana = x9 + x8 +x7 + x6 + x5 ... with x being the amount of spell slots and the numbers the level of the spell slot. What do you think about this?

What 'drawing percentage' should be default? Should it be static? Should you be able to draw over your percentage or mana limit; what occurs if you do?

inb4 >shit system
just make it less shittier, then.
>>
>>50495794
Final Fantasy Tactics A2 called. They said you're alright.
>>
>>50495794
Unrelated to your topic, but that image was the inspiration for a campaign I'm currently building and I thank you for dredging it back up.
>>
>>50495862

I had forgotten I played that game.

Damn...I am getting old...
>>
>>50495862
Yep, I know. Any ideas on the 5e conversion?
>>
>>50495650
>How do you handle long distance travel? As a DM, how do you do random encounters for the days which your players are traveling? Assume that you're traveling on horses for several days.
Most of the time with longer travel i'll have a few encounters along the way for the first time and then fade to black on subsequent visits.
>>
>>50495905
You start with 5 magic points capacity, and gain one capacity per level.

When you roll initiative you start with a number of actual points equal to your casting stat modifier. At the start of each of your turns you gain points equal to your casting stat modifier up to the max.

To cast a spell, you have to spend a number of points equal to the cost of the spell as shown in the dmg spellpoints alternate rules.
>>
>>50495650
so the BBEG for my current adventure is a warlock who struck a deal with his patron who he has faithfully served to create a devastating plague in return for scores of mortal sacrifices

how do I make a good "boss fight" with a warlock BBEG?
>>
>>50495951
What type of warlock?
>>
Story time:

>Relatively new players I DM for, two of note:
>The Half-Elf Paladin, who has a non-magical spear he's upgraded that he loves dearly.
>The Human Druid, who loves rats, stalks women and is a racist.
>They barely escape a burning circus tent whilst fighting off Fire Geists and trying to save NPC's.
>Paladin stabs his spear into a wooden platform and ties a rope to it so people won't die dropping the 30ft to the ground.
>He's the last out, everybody gets clear, cheers all round.
>Druid is the only one with an action left.
>Paladin: Druid, pull the rope and recover my spear, you know how much it means to me and the structure is about to collapse!
>Druid, to DM: what race is Paladin?
>Me: Half Elf
>Druid: I cast Speak with Animals, and ask him what he's hollering about.
>Me: The circus tent collapses, your spear claimed by the flames and falling debris.
>Screaming all round.
>>
>>50495974
That is retarded.
>>
>>50495974
That is hilarious and retarded and fun.
>>
Daily reminder Scourge Aasimar Sun Soul Monk is wonderful even with your stats slightly behind the curve.
>>
>>50495951
He is suffused by the energies of his patron and warped into a magical behemoth befitting his patron's kind.
A Fiend Warlock turns into some hulking demon-thing,
A Fey Warlock becomes a crazy elf-like creature with plants growing out of it,
And a GOOlock's limbs become akin to tentacles as the rest of his body is shrouded in an unpierceable black void, but for the eeriely-glowing 'heart' at its center

Give it multiple turns in the initiative order but remove its ability to multiattack (or fire its full number of eldritch blasts). This keeps up the same damage output over a round, which should be enough to be a threat, but allows it to escape CC and whatever other dogpile-y tactics the party might use without resorting to "lol legendary resistance, you're just wasting your time until i'm out of charges and then i'm just boned like anything else"
>>
>posting in wrong thread
I wish my internet would work and not make me wait 2 hours to work.

>>50495267
I assume it's only one level in barbarian.

It's fine metagame-wise if that's the case.

Dwarfs do it all the time, so it's perfectly acceptable that they do the same except making up for small size with dex.
Like a really annoying giant hornet.

Shield+rapier won't look awfully cool for him though.
>>
twenty-fifth for kobold dragon-hunting party
session 1 boss is a lv3 fighter
>>
>>50496128
just stand back and spam ranged

circle around him if he brings something for cover
>>
>>50495794
If you're going to do this, only give it to sorcerer so it's a buff.

It's been talked about before. You'd have to limit high level spells, however.

Also, even if you had a level 9 spell, it'll probably not use more than 25% of your 'mana'.
Yet, a level 1 spell at level 1 will use 50% of your mana if converted normally.
>>
>>50495794
just use spell points my man
>>
>>50495974
But Speak with animals is an action. The druid still has object interaction left.
>>
demons are to evil as angels are to good,
what title would give to the neutral creature that fits that similar archtype
>>
>>50496498
Buddhas
>>
>>50496498
Meh, maybe later.
Daeva? Nephilim?
>>
>>50496454
I basically told him: you have enough time to do one thing.

It was in the middle of a huge chaotic exploding cinematic escape sequence, combat was over.
>>
>>50496534
Wow, this is stupid on multiple levels.
>>
>>50496565
Are you ok anon
>>
>>50496534
So you deliberately set up for the loss of PC item. It's a low blow.

I hope that you at least set him on a new quest to resurrect that spear.
>>
>>50496595
He also allowed the other player to play a massive racist cunt that would gleefully fuck over another party member.
>>
>>50496565
Why?
>>
>>50496604
Is pretending to be racist against a pretend thing only pretend bad is it actually real bad?
>>
File: anaboost.jpg (12KB, 260x246px) Image search: [Google]
anaboost.jpg
12KB, 260x246px
>>50495665
is the mod team becoming senile?
>>
>>50496595
He could easily have used an action to recover the spear - I thought he would desu. Instead he played to character and it was funny.

Do you remember laughter anon?
Do you remember fun?
>>
Trying-to-run-a-lighthouse-dungeon-anon here, just watched the new Death Stranding trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5ZgaD7Y-jM and it's fucking great.
I've always wanted to include a great mass of black oil that seeps into creatures and parasitizes them, seeking more hosts; their organs and internal structures liquify.
It spreads its putrescence by literally weeping and oozing from every orifice, and tries to splash this onto other creatures.
>>
>>50496633
It's bad. People might act like "they are okay" with it, but they will definitely be bother by it.
>>
>>50495974
Give the paladin a magic item that let's him cast spiritual weapon a couple times a day that conjures a spear. Bonus points if you let him divine smite off his ghostly spear.
>>
>>50496646
I remember when the golden rule of RPGs was not fucking over a party member for no reason.
>>
>>50496659
sake, lads, afterwards he prayed at the temple and saw a spear that a legendary paladin used a dozen miles away in a cave beneath a waterfall.
>>
>>50496646
> being juvenile racist is "fun" and worth a laugh
Now I'm worried about the environment that you grew up with anon. Maybe you should seek help.
>>
>>50496649
What's wrong with you?
>>
>>50496672
His face when it's an exact but magical copy of his spear with strange time altering magic related phenomena around it and a faded mural of himself looking a bit older.
>>
>>50496646
Did the anon who lost his dear spear have fun with it? if no, fuck off
>>
>>50496498
instead of going neutral, fill the archtype with lawful or chaotic entities

Justicars, Archons
>>
>>50496688
>i literally cannot handle lighthearted banter in my dice rolling games
Ok anon, thanks for joining

>>50496706
Yep. The kingsguard gave him a replacement without the upgrade after and he thought it was hilarious. We're all very good friends out of game.

>>50496700
It was going to be a straight upgrade because he's been very devout and his gods want to reward him but this could also be interesting af, thanks anon
>>
>>50496030
>stats slightly behind the curve
What did he mean with this?
>>
>>50496691
I like sci-fi, mystery, horror in games, bro.
>>
>>50496715
That's the problem anon. You think racist is lighthearted. I won't start shouting "privilege white male" and stuff at you, but you should really know that there is something wrong with that sentence.
>>
>>50496759
oh my god who the hell cares?
>>
>>50496720
the game is built on math and assumptions about your math, anon.
>>
>>50496498
Fey. Titans. Modrons.
>>
This thread got to a good start.

>>50496649
Keep doing what you're doing Iguess.
>>
>>50495713
Oh Yeah because +1/2 would really chance that
>>
>>50496759
So, as you might know, racism in fantasy is an age old trope. Dwarves stereotyping elves, elves thinking of everyone else as inferior and humans being humans. Guess what, it's Tolkien. Guess what else, sometimes it's fucking funny.
>>
>>50496833
titan really fits in terms of the pop factor the word has, has recognition and feels as powerful as angel and demon sounds.

although i like fey as well, it just seems more subdued. And fey comes in alot of alignment flavors.

Modrons were fun to read about but they dont have that mythic power factor, at least to me
>>
>>50495713
reckless attack is the shit
>>
File: get the fuck off 4chan man.jpg (36KB, 500x456px) Image search: [Google]
get the fuck off 4chan man.jpg
36KB, 500x456px
>>50496759
I'm not sure you're on the correct website bruh
>>
What type of homebrew would you like to see more of?

Most common ones IMO:
> Class Archetypes that are way too specific
> Classes that are way to convoluted mechanically, and restrictive thematically
> Magic Items
>>
>>50496955
Traps, riddles, puzzles. Cant get enough of them and I'm shit at coming up with them myself.
>>
>>50496955
You're going to get people saying "fuck off, this isn't for you fetishy PF shits who want system bloat".
>>
>>50496759
> "privilege white male"

Is reddit still down or something?
>>
>>50496983
"People".
>>
>>50495974
>playing to your character
Oh shit you triggered /tg/ anon
>>
>>50496964
I feel like those are universal enough to pull from literally EVERYWHERE else.

> Grimtooth's Traps
> Literal actual riddle books

D&D specific puzzles might be rarer / more specific, but also kind of fall into the above categories or are universal enough to be stolen from other games.
>>
>>50496498
The Norns of Norse mythology fill that role pretty well. They were the most powerful creatures in the universe, but were either neutral or so high above humanity that their morality was inscrutable
>>
File: 1476713629096.jpg (77KB, 407x577px) Image search: [Google]
1476713629096.jpg
77KB, 407x577px
>>50496759
If you're not mature enough to consider something that has had huge prevalence in history in the context of a piece of fiction, are you sure you're qualified to try and solve it in the real world?
Anon's story isn't glorifying it, merely displaying how it lead to interesting (and thereby fun) conflict between PCs in his game, and has further presented an opportunity for storytelling as the GM has given him a hook in the form of a new weapon.
>>
>>50496955
Rules for horror adventures.
Haunts, scenarios, creatures.
>>
>>50495974
>Paladins God gives him a thematically appropriate replacement spear for being selfless as fuck
>>
Demogorgon anon here, building a mega dungeon where each hall / floor is a shrine to other Demon Lords, and each one features of Champion of that Demon Lord. The idea is that every other Demon Lord pitched in to seal away old Demogorgon.

Suggestions on how to flesh that out, and trick the players into releasing it? How many is too many shrines (Was thinking 4~6)? The players are currently being guided by a sentient sword, which acts as a Key to the final "Lock/Seal".
>>
>>50496990
>>50497050
Why the fuck are you shits still arguing about this?
Fuck off.
>>
>>50496715
It can be stronger, but it has to be obvious that the spear is the same one he used
>>
>>50496498
I'd say titans if you mean 'devils and demons in general'

Demons are not to evil what angels are to good. Devils are to evil what angels are, as they're both lawful hierarchy societies, only one is good and one is evil.

Modrons would fit in the 'devils-angels' part, except they're generally not powerful enough unless you put in low-ranking angels. Then again, there are plenty of low-ranking devils. I think modrons would work there.
>>
Thoughts?
>>
File: 1435544375699.jpg (81KB, 898x960px) Image search: [Google]
1435544375699.jpg
81KB, 898x960px
Working on a Water Domain for clerics. How do these sound for domain spells?
>1st Create or Destroy Water, Fog Cloud^
>3rd Calm Emotions, Misty Step^
>5th Water Walk, Water Breathing^, Tidalwave*^
>7th Control Water, Freedom of Movement
>9th Maelstrom*^, Greater Restoration
Where * denotes EEPC spells and ^ is a spell not on the cleric spell list.
Which spell should I trim for 5th level? Can't decide on which of the three to keep.
>>
File: 1479088322661.jpg (664KB, 1000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
1479088322661.jpg
664KB, 1000x1333px
>>50497088
I think titans feel best, its a neutral title in itself really, and it feels powerful
>>
>>50497115
Trim Water Walk
>>
>>50496759
And that was the day the angels and the devils all got together, had a picnic and declared 'Screw racism! We're going to stop fighting, eat, drink and be merry and nothing interesting will ever happen in D&D again.'
From that day fowards, no conflict ever happened and races all interbred until each had no special stats with regards to each other and were essentially all non-variant humans.

Everybody lived peacefully and happily ever after in their utopia, marxism was instated and players now must de-level themselves in order to not oppress the masses and they all became bakers without any special powers, and enjoyed their time contributing to healthy society.
>>
>>50497115
add greater water control to control any liquid subtance that has any trace of water ie
blood
>>
>>50496832
found the powergamer, what do I win?
>>
>>50497145

One (1) free sodomizing by no less than eight (8) ogres. Redeemable at your leisure before year's end.
>>
>>50497125
I'm leaning towards this. It's unfortunate, I struggled to find thematic 2nd level spells, but all 3 of those are very fitting. But then the cleric could just prepare Water Walk from their spell list.
>>50497134
Why would a cleric of a benevolent ocean deity, or protector of a river, or shepherd in the desert be a bloodbender?
>>
>>50497162
because its cool as fuck
>>
>>50496498
In Planescape the planar creatures who were neither good nor evil (modrons, slaad, and rilmani) were known as cordians. It wasn't a term that came up much because you seldom need to refer to those three races at the same time.
>>
>>50497174
Just play a Death Domain cleric and say it's Blood domain. Pretty sure damaging someone by rupturing their internals would count as necrotic anyways.
>>
>>50497071
Because you're a faggot.
>>
>>50497184
well I figure there arent any aligned classes, or any aligned abilities or spells. Its up to the user to decide how they use it and if its morally just according to them. I figure a bloodbending water domain cleric could use greater water control to perhaps alleviate a blood disease, or reduce swelling, pop zits, i wasnt limited the use of it to combat
>>
>>50497162
water walk (water, mud and snow only, range of self) as ribbon-ish class feature
jesus wasn't giving free rides in the water
>>
>>50497109
Why would a farmer even leave his farm to pick up adventuring?
>>
>>50497213
>Given holy domain and power over the life giving ichor by the lord of the oceans which dominate our planet, the stuff which permeates the ground and the skies and our own bodies
>Use it to pop zits
Sounds EXACTLY like a thing a PC would do.
>>
>>50497210
Haha, you're acting all defensive and shitting on everything. You're literally unwanted here.
>>
>>50497233
>implying nothing bad ever happens to farms
>implying most farmers even own their own land and aren't completely at the mercy of their lords
>>
>>50497233
> Hunting
> Fishing
> Working their asses of sun up until sun down
> Braving the elements
> Laboring with their hands day in and day out

Farmers are more of an adventurer than you'll ever be.
>>
Working on a Mage-killer / Magehunter archetype, which would fit it better:

Fighter
Ranger
Monk

Features include being able to resist / re-roll on save or sucks; hellish rebuke / witch bolt hybrid when hit with a spell; distance closer (Ranger would get speed bonuses on Hunter's Mark, Fighter gets free dash towards target on Action Surge, etc.), resisting a spell deals psychic feedback damage to caster; stuff like that.
>>
File: IMG_0334.png (33KB, 510x546px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0334.png
33KB, 510x546px
>>50497354
Fighter/Monk

Dual wield glaives
Burning hands, but refluff it so it deals arcane damage instead
Wear light or no armor
Carry around scrolls of blink so you can jump magic wielding scum
Use witch bolt as a finisher
>>
>>50497253
I'm doing none of the things you've stramanned me to be, i simply called you a faggot, the general use litmus test as fucking nobody who belongs here gets their dander up over being called faggot. Fuck off back to tumblr or reddit.
>>
>>50497145
>you're a powergamer if you acknowledge the truth
>>
>>50497444
>projecting this hard
>>
>>50497444
Good shit. Stop being a dropkick dipshit.

No one talks like that in real life. Stop being an autist.
>>
Is Heat Metal on anyone in metal armor a death sentence? Doffing armor takes a helluva lot of time in combat, even with help.
>>
>>50495974
Isn't speak with animals a ritual that takes 10 minutes to cast?
>>
>>50497483
>No one talks like that in real life
Good thing we're not in real fucking life now are we? We're on an Pakistani goat herding site in a thread dedicated a pen and paper RPG where some faggot is getting their fee-fees hurt not by the fact that one player actively dicked over another for no good reason other than a quick joke (admittedly funny) but because of fictional racism against a race that does not exist. Absolutely none of this pertains to real life and as such the fact that this individual is taking these insult so seriously is both amusing and telling.
>>
>>50497441
>magic sucks
>>
>>50497548
Why are you taking this so seriously then?
>>
>>50497548
You seem upset.
>>
>>50496759
can i recommend a 9mm aspirin for the good of society
>>
>>50497567
I'm not. I called >>50497071 a faggot for having a non argument. Nothing more, nothing less. I have zero investment in the original post other than that player was kind of a douche to sacrifice another's weapon for a gag. That and posters from other sites dragging down threads with stupid as fuck conversations such as the one we're having right this moment over virtue signalling on an anonymous ambergris collection forum.
>>50497615
I'm curious as to what gives you that idea.
>>
Are the Epic Heroes and Heroes of the Orient books in the community trove going to be updated soon?
>>
>>50497447
What fucking truth, retard?
>>
>>50497667
You keep making blathering posts.
>>
>>50497354
Monk is the Magekiller.

Run up to their face and blow their dicks off with Open Palm Flurry of Blows, Mageslayer Feat mandatory of course. You have high mobility, several attacks a turn to force constant concentration checks, and debuffs/conditions you can apply easily. Your only issue is catching them when they're flying, but you should eventually get Boots of Flying or something.
>>
Since we are having a lot of arguments consisting of calling names instead of discussion, I am going to drop a friendly reminder that you can report posts.
>>
>>50497691
As do you provoking me to continue making blathering posts. What say you we drop this shit right now and move on with the thread?
>>
>>50497701
No one likes a teacher's pet.

>>50497710
Chill the fuck out and relax and stop arguing about pointless shit. But agreed.
>>
>>50497729
I don't like wallowing in shitty threads because no one uses the options given to them to clean up threads.
>>
>>50497753
You're not a bad dude. Just need to take it easy.
>>
>>50497693
They also can teleport, or become invisible, or cast darkness, or fogs, or whatever.
>>
>>50497354
>>50497693
Another good note is that you get Evasion and Stillness of Mind, I doubt you'd get to Level 14 but if you do Diamond Soul is the greatest thing ever, and are immune to getting raped by Heat Metal since you aren't in metal armor and can use a nonmetal weapon. Lots of Save or Sucks are WIS Saves ala Hold Person and the Charm/Dominate Person type shit, so you'll reliably pass those.
>>
What is the second least stat intensive class there is? Moon Druid hardly need any stats to work fine, maybe cleric as second? As their healing spells don't necessarily need a high wisdom
>>
>>50497441
>arcane damage
>>
Sell me each monk school.
And tell me which one you love the most.
>>
I'm going to go pure bladesinger, is this a good idea bros?
>>
>>50497956
Sun Soul Monk, it's bright, it's hot, and it shines with a burning fury.
>>
A party without full caster is totally ok in 5e right?

I don't want the same suffering I had experienced in pf...
>>
>>50497956
Shadow monk is mobile and has utility, with character built into the class.

>Teleports behind you
>>
>>50497956
Sun soul monk. Pretend to be megaman and go pew pew pew.
>>
File: 1461392363250.jpg (77KB, 560x840px) Image search: [Google]
1461392363250.jpg
77KB, 560x840px
>>50497956
>Open Hand
Don't want any trabbu? The school for you.
THE monk! THE archetypal martial artist! Your magical powers are the epitome of the class, the one and only! While others spend ki to do flashy tricks, you can manipulate enemies just with your flurry of blows! Strike at their pressure points to bring them to their knees and make them stumble back!
>Shadow
Fuckin' NINJA. This is it. Spells to make you the sneakiest fucker around? Check. Teleporting between shadows to move far faster than other baka gaijin and "Pssh, nothing personnel"ing them? BAM. Stealthing so hard you just turn invisible? You bet, fuck you darkvision-ass bitches.
>Wot4E
...uh, you might need a bit of a fix to make this one impressive.
>Sun Soul
HYAAAAH! Super Saiyan, Hamon User, Hadouken, whatever! blasting rays of light from your hands to sear enemies with divine power! Punch enemies with magic from 30 feet away! Then punch so hard and fast your hands turn into a firey blur, and launch blinding kamehamehas at will!
>Long Death
More like No Death. Constant buffs of THP, the ability to trudge into the mass of enemies and scare the piss out of 'em so they've got disadvantage on damn near everything whenever you want, and then the power to JUST. NOT. GO. DOWN!

My favorite is Shadow or Long Death mechanically, Sun Soul conceptually
>>
>>50497693
>>50497794
So as a counter question to this
Say you are playing a mage vs this magekiller
What do you do?
>>
File: bestclass.jpg (14KB, 446x338px) Image search: [Google]
bestclass.jpg
14KB, 446x338px
>>50497956
>TFW nobody loves being THE FUCKING AVATAR
>>
>>50498048
Activate my bladesong and hit him.
>>
>>50497956
the unarmed barbarian school is 10/10
>>
>>50497964
>>50498101
The bladesinger really needs d10 hit dice. As is, you're too damn squishy.
>>
>>50498048
Never let them get in range to punch my head off, so everything I could in order to gain more distance. Offensively, preferred spells would be Saves that target STR/INT/CHA > Attack Rolls.

If the Monk can't fly I would immediately take to the skies myself and rain down spells until they died from safety,
If the Monk has Diamond Soul I'd forget using any Save spells at all and just try attack rolls until he dies.

If the Monk can fly, I'd try to avoid a fight in the first place and leave it to someone more suited a task, like a Fighter. It's a disadvantageous situation that you solve by not being in such a situation in the first place. Don't piss off monks as a wizard. At the least, you have a large repetoire of options at your disposal for running away to safety.
>>
File: I still ki, you stay ko.gif (2MB, 500x331px) Image search: [Google]
I still ki, you stay ko.gif
2MB, 500x331px
>ywn be able to pull an Unlimited Punch Works like in the playtests
>>
>>50497964
You get some good damage but you are risk of getting your teeth kicked in by anything that does good damage. You will have good AC and then great AC if you Shield, but a 28 to hit is not impossible and if your DM doesn't pull punches you could lose more than half your health so some creatures at certain levels.

Plus going full blade singer means poor con cause you'll be maxing Dex and Int, con saves do happen and they don't tickle when they fail.
>>
>>50498109
It's actually better than monk at unarmed and unarmored combat and that pisses me off
>>
>>50498048
Use my malleable illusions feature to turn the open fields we're fighting in that are actually an illusion created by myself 9 days earlier, into a hill that he is now buried under. I then wait for him to suffocate.
>>
>>50498114
>The bladesinger really needs d10 hit dice
No, FUCK NO, as it's is a fucking wizard that never enters in melee with more AC than the meleers. They have no incentive in going in melee, give them d10 and you have made an unkillable wizard that will still not go into melee.
>>
>>50498155
Damn, I'll need to reevaluate my class then. Thanks for the indepth class analysis. It's wonderful help.
>>
>>50495974
Why does everyone replying to this have a huge stick up their ass?
>>
>>50498179
If it's meant to be a martial wizard, it's failing miserably at its job. The class needs considerable surviability or it'd turn into a non-choice and get looked over each time. Why be a bladesinger wizard when you can be an actually useful wizard?
>>
>>50498101
>Activate Bladesong
Either
>The Monk nat20's one of his 4 attacks a turn and gets to Stunning Strike you, causing you to instantly explode now that your Bladesong falls off and he has advantage on every one of his chainstuns coming up per round

Or
>Dodge for as many rounds as you have Spell Slots for Shield
>If the Monk hasn't died to Fireballs yet you lose now that he can hit your AC enough times per round that you'll eventually die to Stunning Strike
>>
>>50498151
Go on....

>>50498159
Go on...
>>
>>50498179
As >>50498155 has said, you're going to get your teeth kicked in. A good AC is not insurmountable and some spells don't even need AC to hit.

Your Con is going to be shit on top of all that and you're race locked to being elf.
>>
>>50498159
>1d4 + Str damage forever (+2 from rage and + more d4s on crits eventually
>Max 2 attacks and a grapple attempt per turn, ever
>Str to hit and grapple, Dex for AC, Con for HP and AC vs Dex to hit and AC (and grapple perhaps if your DM allows the RAW skill score flexibility), Wis for saves and AC and Con just for HP
Are you sure?
>>
>>50498211
>Why be a bladesinger wizard when you can be an actually useful wizard?
Because the AC and Int to concentration. I've seen lots of players pick bladesinger only to still behave like a wizard instead of a gish.
>>
>>50498159
So why go monk at all?
>>
>>50498232
If you purposely went against the RAW and RAI of one of the later monk playtests you could spend all your ki points to make a ton of flurry of blows strikes on one turn, and then later make a forced /tg/ meme about it three years after that playtest.
>>
>>50498247
That's a good strategy, but as a gish it needs something to boost its chances in melee. Or don't make it a gish.
As a wizard it's a bit lacklustre compared to the others.
>>
>>50498253
Because the unarmed barbarian subclass is a homebrew?
>>
File: 1475378134302.png (76KB, 272x210px) Image search: [Google]
1475378134302.png
76KB, 272x210px
>>50498211
>It's meant to be a martial wizard
It's a 1/3rd martial, same as EK and AT are 1/3rd casters.
It should be worse as a martial than paladins and rangers are.
It has the gimmick of a very high lightly armored AC and decent striking. It's a full caster. It's fine.
>>
>>50498247
When I went with a bladesinger, I had an Owl Familiar for Help and main handed a rapier, dashing in and out with Booming Blade, using color spray and things of that ilk. Fabulous af.
>>
>>50498267
If you want to make it a gish that goes into melee, give them incentives to do so, making a wizard subclass that gets 19 AC at first level and 1d10 HPs everytime is not a very good idea because casting is better than meleeing.

Sure, you'll find lots of players that play it as intended, but you'll find as many that will munchkin the shit out of it and be just a wizard with more AC and HPs than your average martial.
>>
How would I make an elf barbarian work?
>>
>>50498272
>>50498279
>>50498283
If the bladesong was more of an x (x may = Int) per day ability or similar, then it would've been fine, but it's not. It's a resource that only lasts for two minutes.
>>
>>50498332
Roll high Str and Con.
>>
what if bladesingers got some sort of bonus the closer they were to an enemy at level 10 instead of the shitty song of defense thing
>>
>>50498339
>rolling for stats
>>
>>50498332
reskin half-orc as wild elves
>>
>>50498337
Two minutes per short rest, assuming 2 short ress as the system recommends that's 6 minutes per day, more than fucking fine believe me.
>>
How would a class / Ranger archetype based on Final Fantasy blue mages (learn animal skill / skill from an enemy) work?

Sidenote: Would you let a player "learn" spells from witnessing them being cast X amount of times and trying to replicate it themselves? (Not cleric, ranger, paladin, or warlock, probably restricted to bard, wizard, sorc)
>>
>>50498347
Then enjoy +2 to Str
>>
>>50498159
Can you post the PDF for it?
>>
>>50498374
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B61gmR1A16Qhd3V1a2xLdTRSTm8/view
>>
>>50498365
Unless you actually homebrew a class for that, no
I wouldnt let a base bard sorc wiz whatever learn even more shit than they already do
>>
>>50498393
Or this one
http://www.middlefingerofvecna.com/2015/12/path-of-brawler.html
There're many and many of them are monks with the barbarian frame (while still be able to wear light or medium armor)
>>
>>50498437
Do you really trust that site?
>>
>>50498456
As much as I trust any homebrew
>>
File: FB_IMG_1480700567160.jpg (103KB, 1032x774px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1480700567160.jpg
103KB, 1032x774px
Bladesingers are doing it wrong. See pic related. Now that's a bladesinger.
>>
How to fix racial balance in 5e:

>Make all racial stats bonus +1, every +2 gets reduced to only +1
>Every race gets an additional +1 to a stat it doesn't already gain a bonus (Player's choice)

Thoughts?
>>
>>50495707

It's a stealth edition war. Minimum casting requirements were an important part of talent gating for casters in the 3.PF era but not in the 5e era because of subtle but profound changes in how multiclassing works and how the attribute system is balanced against itself.

In short, a bunch of Grogs and Neo-Grogs taking it out on everyone else that they're trying to run the old system out of the new book.
>>
>>50498353
Meanwhile your barbarian is raging how many times per day and your paladin is smiting how many times per spell expended?
>>
>>50498481
>>50498481
Nah. The problem with racial balance is mostly attribute balance. Strength sucks, intelligence is everyone's dump stat including some wizards, constitution and dexterity are necessary.
>>
>>50497121
And it works well because they're often ending up in a fight against gods, or things of that power. They still tend to have stronger and weaker titans amongst them.

>>50498332
Dex barbarians are a thing.
They also work with rogue just as well as strength barbarian works with rogue.
They also work with fighter.
You don't really need much if you're a dex barbarian aside from the first level feature, but you could go up to level 3 or even level 5 if you're aiming for rogue.
Rapier+shield all the way, naturally.
>>
>>50498272
>>50498279
>>50498283
>>50498340
>>50498353
>>50498503
Make the bladesong activate per two spell slots expended.
>>
>>50498503
>Meanwhile your barbarian is raging how many times per day?
2 till 3rd level
3 till 5th level
4 till 11th level
5 till 16th level

So, believe me, less times than you bladesing for the most part of the game, never saw a game go beyond 12th levell though.

>your paladin is smiting how many times per spell expended?
1, you can only smite 1 per spell expended
>>
>>50498488
thanks
>>
>>50498528
>Dex barbarians are a thing.
A bad thing though, no reckless attack, no damage on rage and no other features which name I don't remember.
>>
>>50498551
Paladin is smiting per spells per day I mean. The paladin can keep smiting as long as the spells are there to expend.
>>
>>50495950

This is elegant. Good job.
>>
>>50498571
Not an optimized thing, but it's definetly not bad either. Being able to become tanky twice per long rest and having adv on Str stuff even if you don't use it is a perfectly okay level 1 dip.
>>
>>50498587
Smite is a single attack, rage and bladesinging are features that last for 1 minute and benefit more than just damage, of course you will smite more than they rage or bladesing.
>>
>>50498601
>Dex barb
>Only one level in barb
...ok, sorry then, your first post completely misleaded me
>>
>>50496128
Lost
>>
>>50498571
You get up to a potential +3 AC with good stats (assuming normal barbarian has 14 dex, so they're actually more MAD), you get dex instead of strength (more initiative, better stealth, etc), you don't have disadvantage on stealth when maxing out AC and you'll be using a rapier which means you're just fine to slap on a shield for another +2 AC.
If you take only a level in barbarian, you're sacrificing the +2 rage damage for potentially better AC.
Of course, it's very stat-hungry and you're going to need a good few ASIs to get it up.
Fighters get a bunch of ASIs though and rogues get an extra one, and fighters are just fine using dex. So are rogues - a rogue pretty much demands shortswords or rapier anyway.

You lose reckless attack (Good for rogues. Good if you don't care much about AC, which most barbarians don't because they're beefy anyway), you lose rage damage (Pretty nice if you're a fighter due to all those extra attacks. Doesn't matter much on rogue.)

I don't think you lose anything else.

Honestly, it's not too big a sacrifice. STR barbarian is already far too tanky, DEX barbarian is just being ridiculous and being even more tanky just for the heck of it. I still wouldn't recommend more than 5 levels in barbarian though.
>>
Give me ideas for metamagic.
>>
>>50496720

At each level characters are expected to do a certain amount of DPR*# of target affected, and most fall within that range. Some builds require careful shepherding but do slightly more, some do slightly less but come with other benefits that make them attractive.
>>
>>50498666
>>50498571
.. Yeah, in short:
You deal less damage, can't GWM/PAM. But you become tanky as hell.
If you go up rogue, you become even more ridiculously tanky and you get sneak attack damage. You don't get STR barbarian-rogue's super-grapples or +2 damage for each of their attacks, though.

A melee fighter would love +2 damage to all of their 1/2/3/4/5 (+1/2/3/4 action surge) attacks, though. But, dex fighters still exist.

Eh, it's a thing. I just wonder if it trumps STR rogue much.

>>50498667
Make one that invokes Perils of the Warp.
>>
>>50498700
Thanks, that's on the list.
>>
>>50496871

Tolkien was an active racist, so was his buddy C.S. Lewis. Don't be like Tolkien.
>>
>>50496993

"Me"
>>
>>50497050

It is glorifying it. It is literally an "And then he did a racist thing and everybody laughed and laughed" story.
>>
Can a character be surprised mid-combat?
If my Favoured Soul gish cast blink and reappeared in literal *teleports behind u before slicing in half with his katana great sword 'psh nothing persona, kid'* style would that be enough to grant advantage/surprise?

DMs? If not, what about readying an action to hide as soon as you blink so you come out 'hidden' when you return?
>>
>>50495794
I preffer a spell point system based around Sp dice being assigned to each class like the Hp die.

Full caster: 1d10
Half caster and gishes (Palladin , Ranger and Monk): 1d8
1/3d caster: 1d6
Non casters: 1d4
>>
>>50498753
Don't resurrect 3 hour old arguments please.
>>
>>50498717
>>50498753

Why are you still here
>>
>>50497145

Nothing, you're still an idiot with a string of broken play groups behind you.
>>
>>50498766
Why would non-casters get spell points?
>>
File: 1480055382448.png (330KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1480055382448.png
330KB, 500x375px
>>50498715
What, really?
Well, it can't hurt to have a 'make bad shit happen and hope it somehow benefits us' panic button.
>>
>>50498770

Fuck off.
>>
>>50498784
Maybe for MCing or so if they get access to spells somehow
>>
>>50498808
Threads are shitty enough without people showing up late and screaming at people who have probably left.
>>
Here's how you fix Bladesinger.

3 Fighter/17 Wiz. Done and done, why does Bladesinging even exist?
>>
>Watch Korean period drama
>People use martial arts and other monkey stuff while wearing armor
Thinking on calling them and tell them they're doing it wrong.
>>
>>50498886
why do classes even exist
>>
>>50498886
Because of and for the shitty bladesong.
>>
>>50498886
Because is very different to 3 Fighter/17 Wizard, for starters doesn't wear armor.
>>
>>50498886

>17 Fighter/3 Wizard
>Why does Eldritch Knight even exist?
>>
>>50498758
No. Once combat starts, after the 1st round, if noone was surprised for that one, noone can ever be surprised in that same instance of combat again. You can be hidden, which might 'surprise' someone roleplaywise as in "Whoa where the heck did you come from?!", but the Surprised condition itself is no longer able to be applied.

This is because once combat starts, everyone is obviously aware of this and is on the lookout from attacks from all sides, attempting to keep themselves from showing any weaknesses or openings that can be exploited.

In short, you can be hidden multiple times in combat. You can only be surprised on the very first round that you roll Initiative on.

Also if you mean as soon as you blink as in, as soon as your opponent blinks his eyes, no. That's not how the RAW or RAI works. If you were an extremely high level stealth-focused character in the right circumstances, maybe the GM would allow such a thing but it'd very obviously be complete bullshit.
>>
>>50498886
>>50498897
Why are mirrors real when our eyes aren't real?
>>
>>50498897
This, why barb exists? why paladin exists? why druid exists? why rogue exist? There should be only one class: Dude, with two subclasses: Fightyguy and Magemate
>>
>>50498920
he pretty clearly means the spell, Blink.
>>
>>50498928
>tfw you are a magemate with 8 int
>>
>>50498944
>tfw you are a fightyguy with a diamond pickaxe
>>
>>50495974
>Have a courier deliver him a spear shaped package with this note: "During the clean-up this spear was found. Anyone who tried to wield it got burned so it seems to be magical. It was said that sire lost his spear in the blaze and thus we assume it belongs to sire.

+1 Spear that deals extra 1d4 fire damage.

When thrown and said druid is within 60 ft range it will change its direction and strike at him instead.

Can be ressummoned as bonus action.

Indestructible to non magic means.
>>
>>50498928
What if they're both chicks.
>>
>>50498935
In that case yes, but you'd need some way to get that second Action to ready since Blink itself is one. You could wait for next round instead and use a normal Action to ready on that one though.
>>
>>50498976
Two genders just complicates the rules. All people are dudes
>>
File: 1403724556862.png (165KB, 303x311px) Image search: [Google]
1403724556862.png
165KB, 303x311px
>>50498974
To add onto this, the spear has become sentient. Harboring the anger and regrets of those who've been dicked by Druids in the past. It glows red hot and makes every Druid within a 100-ft radius feel uncomfortably warm and sweaty.
>>
>>50499005
Also one race: Person
>>
So last session my shifter (spheres) turned himself large, gave himself wings, and shifted into his themed wolf form (big flying wolf, essentially) and gave a ride to the entire party to board an enemy airship.

Spheres is pretty good.
Surprised I only learnt of this system lately.
Not much people mention it here, for some reason, at least compared to PoW.
>>
>>50498928
Which class, fighterguy or magermate is better at fucking animals?
>>
>>50499042
magemate
it's even in their name
>>
>>50496759
>I won't call you a CIS white male scum but I will call you a CIS white male scum despite there being no mention of you being white, male or heterosexual just racist in a game of pretend....

"Liberals" everyone.
>>
>>50498530
Nah, if the trouble is people wanting hit points but others not wanting free durability, do something like this.

When you enter Bladesong, you can also cast False Life on yourself using your highest level spellslot available without using an action.

There, now a Bladesinger can burn through spells for some benefit.
>>
>>50496646
I think we can all agree a bit of Schadenfreude is a natural part of the game. I sometimes have to hide grinning when a friend's PC gets crit.
But, when players start hurting their own team just to have their fun, youve entered "that guy" territory.
Unless youve specifically stated from the beginning that its gonna be a cutthroat game where alliances are shaky, then that shit isnt fun. It may have been for for the druid or rest of the group, but the paladin probably had their night ruined a bit.

Futhermore, as a DM, i wouldve hidden a roll that didnt mean anything, then said "miraculously, your spear is intact, aside from a few char marks"

You cant always stop your players from being dicks to eachother, but you certainly shouldnt reward them for it by giving them what they want, especially at the expense of another players fun.

That said, if the paladin was having fun too, there isnt a huge issue. I just know my group members and it wouldnt have been fun
>>
>>50499042
Magemate of course, this is still a wotc game so casters still should be better at everything.
>>
>>50499042
druid
>>
>>50499005
There'll just be one adventurer then.
You need missionary for wholesome procreation. This can be achieved with a guy and a girl or two girls.
>>
>>50499059
>CIS
anon do you think it's an acronym...
>>
>>50496649
Did you ever see the Expanse?
>>
>>50499093
I can't fucking wait for season two.
>>
>>50499085
>anon do you think it's an acronym...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_of_Independent_States

but anon, it is
>>
>>50499093
Not him, but the Expanse?
>>
I need more ideas for meta magic.

>>50499115
Semi hard sci-fi show about life being shit in the asteroid belt. Based on novels of the same name.

It's the best thing to be put on the Syfy network since the first few episodes of bsg, before bsg went full retard.
>>
>>50499115
What my dick does inside your mum
>>
>>50498001
You could, it depends what you play and if the DM is willing to tweak whatever he's running to better accomodate a lack of full casters.
>>
>>50498001
>totally ok
Not unless your GM went in that direction
>>
>>50499163
Yeah, because your dick is microscopic.
>>
>>50499115
There is a thing on the show that seems to line up with the parasitic ooze.

Who released your ooze, anon? That is probably the real question.
>>
Thinking about awarding players in my game some homebrew bonus feats based on what they do. I was thinking of basing it off of # of Sessions in which they perform certain tasks.

For instance one of my players, i know, is gonna be super tactical. I was thinking if he plays really tactically for 5 sessions, i'll give him a bonus feat after taking his next Long Rest.

Do you think it would be better to base this time-frame on sessions or levels or actual in-game time?

The feat in-question would probably be something like...
>Pick a Fighting Style from the Fighter Class. You can give this fighting style to any target other than yourself for 1 turn. You can use this ability twice before taking a Long Rest.
>>
>>50499066
It's non-team-harming character interaction.
While it does mean the characters don't get along as well, without conflict in a party there's no drama. You might as well be playing 4e without any out-of-combat interraction.

If it was a magical spear that they depended on for more damage, that would be reducing their teammate's effectiveness and thus harmful for the party. However, by the sound of things, it was just the druid taking the chance to show how much of a dick their character is.
>>
>>50497956
Open hand
>Bitch flies where?! Who needs a cleric! Make a will save first if you wanna hit me. I can now drop from the orbit just to poke you with a finger so you die.

Shadow monk
>Teleport every day all day. Steel Panther - Turn off the lights.mp3 I am magic batman.

Sun soul
> Holl up, holl up *punches you with light from 30ft range* So you be saying *Burns down a group of mobs with burning hands* We wuz Sayans *Kamehameha* And sheet *Sun shields up*

Long death
>Delicious Hp everywhere. *Dragon tries to intimidate party but gets intimidated instead* Oh I know you knocked me out but.... I'm hard again. You know my cousin Open palm? Yeah I can do that too albeit slightly worse.

Wot4E
>Ttoally not!Avatar©. (It's shit don't bother)
>>
>>50499276
Rewarding action with buffs to future of that action encourages only trying that thing. Players will get funneled into always doing the same thing instead of thinking creatively because their one thing has more of a bonus.
>>
>>50499276
It would feel most rewarding if you give it right after they did something outstanding rather than out of the blue.

'You thought of an approach to this fight I hadn't even thought of, and enabled your team to take minimal damage through that' sort of thing. It's okay to say 'You've been pretty tactical lately' but it probably has less of an impact than one crowning moment.
>>
>>50499292
>You know my cousin Open palm? Yeah I can do that too albeit slightly worse.
You mean, A LOT worse
>>
>>50498784
Because in a setting where magic and magic users exist there's a need for passive magic potential in the untrained.
>>
I need to put a necromantic bent on three magic items; not sure which magic items to do, however. Its deep in the bowels of a temple of Orcus. Suggestions?
>>
>>50499307
>>50499322
okay, so maybe less based on play style and moreso based on more specific choices.

I'll try and think up some example scenarios.

I mostly don't want them to realize what is causing them to get the feats, cause i would worry the game could devolve into them just trying to get feats. Mind you, i'd probably only award them for adventuring.
>>
>>50498974
>>50499008
holy shit im stealing this item
>>
>>50499459
If you give them feats only for crowning moment things and you give it out fairly fairly (ultimately likely one per player, possibly two) then it's not like they'll do anything stupid.
And if they DO go out of their way to do awesome things, isn't that good?
Of course, they should understand that constantly trying to do cool things and failing isn't going to get them anywhere.

Or, I guess you 'could' do it achievement style where you track less arbitrary measurements in secret but that honestly sounds silly, like an 'adventurer checklist' that encourages them to blindly do silly things in hopes it gets them secret achievements.
>>
>>50497956
Don't bother, monks are ass and easily the most superfluous thing about 5e.
>>
anybody have any thoughts on bladesinger? One of my PCs wants to play one
>>
>>50499653

ctrl-f "bladesinger"

It's all over the thread
>>
>>50499653
They're ok, as long as the player uses it as a gish
>>
>>50499653
It doesn't really do what it does awfully well.

The attacks are vaguely better than cantrips, but cantrips let you attack at range at saftey.

However, what bladesinger really does is just give the user a lot of AC. A lot.

Abjuration is better at protecting against spells, however. Not to mention, a wizard plays fine with low AC if they hang at the back.

Consider it. I wouldn't call it broken, but it's really honestly not a very well designed class archetype, I'd say. It's mostly just a wizard with a load of AC.
>>
>>50499615
Care to eleborate?
>>
File: Warforged Sun Soul Monk.gif (6MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Warforged Sun Soul Monk.gif
6MB, 500x281px
Gonna play a warforged sun soul monk, wish me luck.
>>
File: 1364931713552.jpg (266KB, 700x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1364931713552.jpg
266KB, 700x1200px
>>50499736
Not him, please explain, I know what a Gish is but not sure how to use it as one.
>>
>>50499760
I played one, its really alot of fun
>>
>>50499760
Point buy, elite array or rolled stats? Because if the first two, you might suffer a little bit.
>>
Hoping wotc will fix some feats, and release a few (JUST a few) for those classes that literally, currently, don't have many to gain from feats.
>>
>>50499892
>Martial Master feat
>When you attack unarmed you can have -5 to hit but +10 dam
>>
>>50499934
GWM and SS still get other benefits, at least meme the whole way
>>
>>50499892
There are no characters that are not significantly improved by Lucky and Alert. Maybe not as much as they'd benefit from an ASI, but it's still a tolerable option.
>>
>>50499699
thanks for the advice anon.
No seriously, I'm in a bit of a hurry getting ready for work and didn't take the time to read the thread before i posted
>>
>>50499892
>Give for free one of these three Martial Adept, Savage Attacker, Skilled, Elemental Adept at first level
>People picks Skilled, only like once a guy picked Elemental Adept but ended regretting it
>In like 15 PCs nobody picked the others
Makes you wonder
>>
>>50499756
Not really. Just like every other polarizing opinion, and the last few threads; you have some people that believe X about monks, and then others who reduce that critique to its simplest form, and apply it to every other class.

In the end you still have two camps who are retarded mad at each other.
>>
>>50499954
+10 damage on each hit is strong on someone who already gets a free bonus attack or up to two extra bonus attacks.

Giving them bonus features would honestly be overpowered if it wasn't for the fact that monks shouldn't be taking feats in the first place normally unless they're variant human due to the fact they need ASIs so badly.
>>
>>50499615
Not really, soap is pretty superfluous in 5e.
>>
Question for you DMs that don't have a laptop or own the books:

How?
>>
>>50498993
I was thinking something like this.
Cast haste in the first round or prebuff stage.
Quickened Blink, Move in, attack twice, then ready my haste action to 'Hide' as soon as the Blink goes off.
Since the enemy cannot see me (as I'd be on the ethereal plane) I'd be fully hidden from everyone that can't see the ethereal when I returned as I succeeded on the plane, yielding to me advantage when I reappear materially within 10ft

That's my big question and idea
>>
>>50500050
>Not giving stuff like you can deal slashing, piercing or bludgeoning damage with your Unarmed Attacks
You don't need to give them an extra attack or other shit to complete the feat
>>
>>50500102
DM from the heart. Align your chakras. Become one with the Weave.

But seriously:

> Describe situation
> roll dice
> Apply table of reasonableness to DC
> Describe what happens
> Rinse and repeat

Be confident in your calls, especially on things you don't remember exactly, but have fun and move forward.
>>
File: Eagle Barbarian.jpg (61KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Eagle Barbarian.jpg
61KB, 600x400px
>>50500102
I shitpost on 5e so much that I now know all the rules off by heart, as well as the errata and additional contents.
>>
File: 1477428170074.png (2MB, 646x1696px) Image search: [Google]
1477428170074.png
2MB, 646x1696px
>>50497956
>>
GM's, What spells do you absolutely love having your casters drop on the party, those spells that don't see much use because they aren't great overall but are particularly brutal against PC's.

My personal favourite is Slow, for a level 3 spell it can really really upset your players, fuck you extra attack, fuck you bonus actions, fuck you moving, fuck your AC, and did you want to cast a spell? Better roll to see if you do or not.

Second favourite is Blind/Deaf, no concentration means your more powerful casters can drop this at a high level and hit the entire party and then follow up with another team-wide debuff, such as aforementioned slow. When two members of your party are blind, two members are slowed, and two are blind-and-slowed you're going to struggle something terrible.

I also really like Conjure Minor Elementals to drop some nice mephits (Mud is best.), although the Conjure woodland beings has also got a bit better with Volo's adding some CR1-2 Fey.
>>
>>50499288
Yea... how much of a dick their "character" is.
Ultimately it comes down to if the paladin had fun
>>
>>50500153
Rocks fall is my fav
>>
>>50500129
>>50500130
Well I meant more for combat encounters with dudes with spells and stuff.

I'm sorry, I should've specified.
>>
>>50500153
Polymorph.
>>
>>50500122
Given that I then decided it wouldn't be overpowered because monks are already penalized enough for taking a feat, I think something more powerful than slashing/piercing/bludgeoning is due, though that does sound like a nice thing to add in.

Something like 'you can use dex on athletics checks', but that sounds like really trying to put the nail in STR's coffin.

>>50500161
Pretty much. I assume the paladin wasn't mad, because it's a worthless but sentimental to a character item in a game about imagination that has set up a plot device for the paladin having to decide if they're also going to fall to the same level as the druid being a dick based on their oaths/morals and out-dick the druid.
>>
>>50500173
I used to plan encounters and write out the stats in a notebook so I didnt have to flip through books all the time.
>>
>>50500173
You don't. The players need to have the books so they can re-read what their spells do, even if you remember them, and you want to be able to point and say 'no, counterspell only has a range of 60ft'.

Print out spell cards, though, and give them to players if they prepare the spells.
This also helps keep track of players preparing spells, as they can't cast something they don't have the card for.
>>
>>50500153
Counterspell.

Nothing makes players go "Oh.." when they realise other casters can use counterspell.
>>
>>50500227
Same for dispel magic.
>>
>>50500220
None of that helps ME.

I'm not asking for my players, nimrod.
>>
>>50498696
Is there a chart or guide somewhere that lays all this out? I'm curious to see how things compare.
>>
>>50500257
Helping your players helps you because otherwise they'll spend half the fight asking you what everything does instead of deciding what action to play.

It also helps you because you also have access to the spellcards if you need them. Make two of each, and if you don't have two spellcasters wth the same spell then you'll have a spare to look at. Otherwise, borrow it back.
>>
>>50500296
My players have, at the very minimum, one laptop they have the books on in .pdf.

I just don't want to constantly ask to borrow it when I decide to get crafty or have to start making shit up because they shit on my plan with well thought out rolls/roleplaying.

I'll just do what >>50500199 said and write some shit down, I guess.
>>
>>50500227
Counterspell is a really common one, though.
It often ends up turning into Phoenix Wrong with all the casters counterspelling each other.
>>
>>50500173
If Batman can become a god with Time to Plan, then so can you.
>>
>>50500326

Each caster can only cast it once, though counterspell chains are always amusing to watch go off when I'm on my martial.
>>
>>50500326
>>50500153

Blight
Bestow Curse
Glyph of Warding
>>
Anons? I know this probably isn't the topic for this, but I'm kind of desperate... I'm worldbuilding a setting for 5th edition, post-apocalyptic high magical world (think Eberron if it went Fallout) and I got various fluff & crunch issues I could use a hand working out. Would this thread be a place I can ask for that?
>>
>>50500353
It's for 5e so yeah, this is the right place.
>>
>>50500353
>Can I ask a question about modifying a system in the system's general thread?
Yes.
>>
>>50500353
Sure, but as someone who is doing something that has some overlap, I can suggest:

1. Check out UA Eberron and UA Modern Magic
2. Check out DMG for modern / futuristic firearms
3. Check out older settings, I think each of the following has something for you:
> Dark Sun, Spelljammer, Dragonstar,
4. Go with your gut and use your knowledge of what your players like.
>>
File: Boss_Gish.png (2KB, 145x115px) Image search: [Google]
Boss_Gish.png
2KB, 145x115px
>>50499779
Gish?
>>
>>50500153
Gayness to males
Manliness to females
>>
Does anyone have a build for Grapple Rogue?

My best guess is to load up on strength and grab Athletics, to grant myself advantage against those I grapple. Anything else? Just go full strength, and ignore stealth?
>>
>>50500353
This is it. There's also a worldbuilding thread >>50475538 with extra resources that may be useful.
>>
>>50500481
Make sure you have Expertise in Athletics. And if you want to be silly take the Thief archetype for the extra jump height.
>>
File: 1479115084682.jpg (101KB, 755x1057px) Image search: [Google]
1479115084682.jpg
101KB, 755x1057px
>>50500425
>Manliness
Ah yes, a fine choice. Good combo with Enlarge.
>>
>>50500481
Barbarian5/Rogue15.

Otherwise, it's not worth getting strength.

If you only take levels in rogue, you won't get extra attack and thus you'll only have one grapple or shove a round.

Optimally you'd want a grapple, a shove and an attack (the attack then having advantage) but that's a fighter11/rogue9 multiclass.
However.
Shield master gives you shove as a bonus action.

You could go barbarian5/rogue15 with shield master to get a grapple, a shove and an attack all in one go but you won't make full use of shield master's other features in doing that.
Also, bonus actions clash with cunning action.

Tavern brawler honestly isn't bad. +1 str, you get to grapple as a bonus action (after shoving them with one of your attacks then attacking them) and if you can convince your DM to let you sneak attack when you use your fists you can keep your rapier away and keep a hand free for grappling.
Again, bonus actions still clash with cunning action.
>>
>>50500602
Why does every build question result in someone posting a level 20 build? Most games are played below level 10.

What kind of progression would I get if I went with B5R15? What do I start with, for how long, and when do I switch?
>>
Does anyone have that superspeed tabaxi build where he reaches mach 1?

Wish I'd saved it last night
>>
File: 5e fastbaxi.png (116KB, 759x706px) Image search: [Google]
5e fastbaxi.png
116KB, 759x706px
>>50500656
>>
>>50500638
Level 20 just shows the end goal.
It's perfectly fine before that, considering rogue 15 only gives you proficiency in wisdom saves (which is good, but not releveant to grapple builds)

Start with 1 level in barbarian.
Put one level in rogue.
From there, your next goal is 5 in barbarian and 5 in rogue. Do that however you please as each rogue level and barbarian level give key features.
From there, you level rogue beyond 5 for more sneak attack damage as well as other features such as evasion and the like.

A feat that gives you a bonus action grapple/shove isn't necessary at all, but the ideal case would be that you could make a grapple, shove and attack (wth sneak attack) all in one round. Even better, making four of those in a round so if one of them fails you have a back-up attack/shove/grapple.
But, eh, I guess just grapple+attack is alright and you have reckless attack anyway to give yourself advantage.

Either way, 5 levels in barbarian is practically a must.
>>
>>50500672
Brilliant! I find it so funny for whatever reason. Would love to play it
>>
>>50500132
I'll buy that for a dollar.
>>
File: 1471322975697.jpg (165KB, 719x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1471322975697.jpg
165KB, 719x1100px
What do you guys think of champion 6/war domain 14?

You lose some spell slot but makes you more martial, think it's a better warpriest than pure war domain.
>>
I have a player playing a Fighter (background acolyte) brought up in the Iron Church of Kord. Last few fights he's been getting bodied, and his whole story is about going to other worship sites of Kord, and "testing his strength" etc.etc.

His goal is to MC into paladin soon. Any suggestions on in story things to do to facilitate that?
>>
>>50500806
If you take GWM it's kind of alright but also unnecessarily MAD.

If you want to focus on melee damage, you could go fighter 11/war domain 9, getting only a single level of cleric until you get extra attack (2).

It'd be good in a campaign where there aren't a lot of long rests. If your DM gives you plenty of rests, any other pure cleric would be better.

You could also just go pure cleric and obtain GFB/BB somehow. Bonus points if you also get warcaster.
>>
>>50496759
A FUCKING WHITE MALE
>>
>>50500893
Why MAD, don't forget you get an extra ASI overall due to warrior, also, STR, and WIS will be primary and CON secondary.
I think it'll be alright.

And you could start variant human for warcaster.
CON saving throws will be extremely helpful for something like magic weapon.
>>
>>50498216
>Dodge for as many rounds as you have Spell Slots for Shield

Literally 12 rounds
>>
>>50500893
>>50500806
>>50500941
Thinking about it, it'd go like this, compared to a normal fighter:

Fighter1/Cleric1: You get attacks and bonus action attacks. Go you.
Fighter5/Cleric1: Three attacks per turn until you run out of juice, though you should last longer since you also get bonus attacks on crits/kills. GWM works better for lots of lower-damage hits, and you're succeeding at doing that. Also, channel divinity at cleric level 2 is going to help. Don't forget bless for +1d4 to hit.
Fighter6/Cleric5: You're getting cool stuff. You can heal the party somewhat out of combat and all of that, or sacrifice an attack for healing word. You're kind of like a paladin, I guess, but the problem is that a normal fighter11 is now doing more in melee than you, even if they lack as much utility. However, they can go benefit from non-champion things such as EK or Battlemaster. I'm not saying champion is bad, it's okay if you multiclass. .. Otherwise bad.
Fighter6/Cleric10 or so - You'll probably start feeling you should've just been a paladin at this point.
Fighter6/Cleric14 - You're missing out on the absolute best stuff, you've got plenty of spells to cast even when not attacking and you can't attack and cast most of the spells anyway. The fighter20 is laughing as he makes five attacks every turn.

So for most of the game it should work fine. It might actually be quite good until about level 11. Con saves + bless is nice.

You only get enough ASIs to counter MAD later, though.
>>
>>50498696
I think he meant more like his To hit and AC is behind of a expected monk and martial

With standard array his to hit would be +4 at 1st level and AC would be 14 at best, that's pretty bad for a monk. The average monk will have 16 AC, 17 at 4th level, 18 at 8th level, 19 at 12th level and 20 at 16th level. He's 2 points behind that on a class heavily starved of ASIs.
>>
>>50501008
>>50500941
What I meant for that is

'You can't attack and cast a spell at the same time'

For a fighter, the only option is to attack, and they have powerful attacks.
For a pure cleric, the main option is to cast spells, and they have more powerful spells.

For you, you can do either or, but you're worse at both.

But there's actually pretty great synergy at lower levels.
Both bless and war channel divinity work well with GWM as they both increase your chance to hit, and getting extra bonus action attacks is good for GWM too.

If you expect to go into the much later levels, fighter11/Cleric2 before you level cleric further isn't actually that bad of an idea if you want to forsake going cleric for a while.
>>
>>50498216
This is why you use something that gives enemies disadvantage to hit you, such as foresight or blur or whatever the heck else does that.

It reduces the chances of them critting to 1/400.
>>
>>50500672
I don't get it, how are you Dashing five times during the bards turn, and how are you dashing before resolving the bards spell? Or after? I don't get it wouldn't it be better to have the bard ready his trigger to you saying the word "Gofast.", then you dash all the times, THEN get hit with the spell while your speed is massive.
>>
>>50500384
>>50500398
>>50500485
>>50500402
Thank you all for the vote of support..

>>50500402
I don't actually have any players, I'm just building the setting up because it's something that's been haunting me. Does that still make it okay?
>>
>>50501230
It's not the bard's turn. It's the person's turn.
They use a reaction on their own turn because the bard stored a spell for when the guy says 'gofast' on their turn.
>>
>>50500672
What is the purpose of activating feline agility and not moving? I don't get it.
>>
>>50501250
So wouldn't they be better dashing a bunch, and then getting whispered rather than the other way around.
>>
>>50501239
Crunch-wise, my issues are mostly focused on statting up/revamping some of the homebrew races I want to use in the setting, and doing some work on subclasses (mostly Sorcerous Origins and Warlock Patrons at this point).

But I should probably give the rundown of the setting first before I do that? Or is it not necessary and I just need to go straight to the crunchy stuff?
>>
>>50500672
Does x2, x2 and x2 actually become x8 or is like in all the previous editions and is just x4?
>>
>>50501274
Feline Agility doubles your speed for the final time, and you get it back when you don't move on your turn, so not moving means you have it every turn for when you need it. So you have your speed doubled for when you fail against Dissonant Whispers, meaning that the reaction-move it causes gives you the equivalent of an extra dash. I had Maneuvering Attack on it before but that was off-turn and only gave you 1/4th of your final speed in extra movement.

>>50501313
Multiplying speeds in 5e has no special rule, so it follows normal math logic.
>>
>>50501299
I don't think it matters, as long as it's all on their turn. Whether used before or after, it will still provide the same amount of speed as long as all the buffs are in place.

If it wasn't on their turn, it wouldn't be 'how fast can you go during your turn' but instead per round.
>>
>>50501313
x8, as nothing says otherwise doubling your speed from 30ft to 60ft means your speed is now 60ft, if you double your speed again you go to 120ft and if you double again, 240ft.
>>
>>50501274

Since the idea is to get dissonant whispers to move them, and FA activates on any turn you stand still, you can just keep activating it until you fail the save and take off like a bullet. Think of it like revving an engine.
>>
>>50501347
But.. You move, negating Feline agility?
>>
>>50501362

>activates

Meant recharges.
>>
>>50501373
You only move when you fail Dissonant Whispers, otherwise you stand still and thus have FA recharge for your next turn. >>50501362 has it right, you're basically sitting still revving up until you fail the save and take off like a cat out of hell.
>>
>>50500104
Yeah that's radical and works
>>
4chan 5eg: Insuring you don't enjoy the game since 2014.
>>
>>50501362
So they feline agility, dash dash dash dash and then sit still waiting to fail a save, then when they do, reaction move speed, then regular move speed?
>>
Want to know the best bit of this? The Tabaxi can grapple both his bard and wizard buddies, and go a mere 4500ft but drag them along for the ride.
>>
>>50501406
>5eg
Oh shit, I thought I was in /pol/ thanks to the argument a little ways up the page.
>>
>>50501440
At level 20 I feel like the party has other means of getting somewhere fast than being carried by a catman.
>>
>>50501410

They get a bunch of speed buffs and then stand still going VROOOOOOM by activating feline agility every round after the bard casts Dissonant Whispers. Since they are not moving, FA recharges every round they pass the save (as they're standing still), which means it will be active on the round they do fail. Then they:

-Move
-bonus action dash (step of the wind)
-reaction: dash (dissonant whispers)
-haste action: dash
-action surge: dash

with all their crazy speed boosts doubled by FA they go fast, like a red trukk.
>>
File: Undyne.jpg (50KB, 564x846px) Image search: [Google]
Undyne.jpg
50KB, 564x846px
How do you do fellow memes, stat me.
>>
>>50501469
Others, perhaps. More fantastical, none. I'd be pretty impressed.
>>
>>50501505
Triton paladin. Any of the oaths would probably work fine. Wield a pike.
>>
>>50501515
Pikes are the worst Polearm.
>>
>>50501406
I'm just trying to fix this game. I want to play a martial and enjoy combat.
>>
File: tableslice.webm (2MB, 576x304px) Image search: [Google]
tableslice.webm
2MB, 576x304px
>>50501552
Step 1) acquire a cool DM
Step 2) do whatever the fuck you want
>>
>>50501532
Then wield a spear.
>>
File: 1462595181154.jpg (24KB, 397x576px) Image search: [Google]
1462595181154.jpg
24KB, 397x576px
Why are Hobgoblins so underused guys, they seem like much more interesting antagonists than orcs, I feel like you could base a small campaign around an invasion.

Why are Goblins and Orcs always used instead?
>>
>>50501578
Hey that's a cool description anon. Okay, what's your ac again, you provoked an opportunity attack moving into the table.

Only 16? Okay, you take 16 damage, you're on your backfoot.

Note you want to attack with the table? Sure, to to attack. Damage will be 1d4 since it's an improvised weapon.

What do you mean that's lower than you would deal just hitting the guy, and what's the point? The point is to take suboptimal courses of action so you can pretend to be better at role-playing thank everyone else!
>>
>>50501624
No, unrelated to that earlier, just saying. Pikes suck.

The only polearm that doesn't work with Polearm master.
>>
>>50501635
This is the point where you tell your damage that your unarmed attack does more than 1 damage and launch across the table to punch him in the face
>>
>>50501674
first damage = DM, obviously
>>
>>50501635
Read the rules nigga, improvised weapons deal damage based on what they can be compared to.

A solid table would be at worst a greatclub for 1d8 damage, if your GM was being kind (And possibly requested a strength/athletics check if you're picking it up and slamming it.) you could argue it as an improvised maul, or even an improvised large greatclub and hit for 2d8, not that you' get more than one or two swings out of it.
>>
>>50501552
From what I've seen martials are more than viable in 5e than any other edition before.

3.5e/PF a gish cleric would demolish any fighter
In 5e? I'm about 95% certain my gish FS Sorc would lose to a straight up bow fighter in a 1v1 at level 6 baring any lucky/unlucky rolls.

Sure, I can fly around, go invisible, mirror image, blink, shield, etc. But in that theoretical 'you have no chance to prepare, roll initiative and go' that Bow Fighter 6 just goes 'lol first round, I attack twice, action surge. You take 4d8+20 damage'
Anything over 45hp would insta drop muh gish.

Also Bear Totem barbs are invulnerable and palis smite stuff deader than dead. Martials all solid 10/10 picks.
>>
>>50501769
They are more viable than any edition but 4E.
They're still not fun, though.
>>
>>50501769
I don't deny their viability, but the entire system is built from the ground up to make martials as boring as possible.

The optimal course of action is nearly always to stand still and attack.

>>50501740
A table such as that in the WebM bears no resemblance to a weapon, so it defaults to 1d4.
>>
>>50501552
>I want to play martials and enjoy them
>I don't actually appreciate martial classes for what they are
>>
>>50501769

Yea and I mean other than barbarians there are archetypes for fighters/rogues that do stuff. Eldritch Knight/Battlemaster/Arcane Trickster/Mastermind. I get the desire to do more than just hit stuff but I think martials are still plenty fun for myself anyways. Shadow monks are a shit ton of fun to play.

I Do hope we get sword sage in the UA book/PHB 2 whatever they end up calling it though.
>>
>>50501814
It's not asking too much that we get a book of weeaboo fightan magic.
>>
>>50501809
A table bears a resemblance to a great club.
>>
>>50501629
Because nobody really knows what the fuck to do with hobgoblins. They just seem like "bigger goblins" at a casual glance, and orcs & goblins have more "weight" as the standard horde of barbarian raiders, so few people bother using them.
>>
>>50501862
It resembles a paddle, which resembles a club. But more than a regular paddle, it's a Huge-sized paddle, so it's a 3d8 weapon. And it knocks down if the enemy fails a Str save.
>>
>>50501629
More iconic

I personally preferred the 4e Hobgoblins that were basically Romans right down to Phalanxes, but 5e doesn't lend itself as well to shield walls and pike formations.
>>
>>50501308
What the hell, can't hurt to let you poor bastards know what you're getting into ahead of time:
>>Originally a high fantasy world
>>Humans born from the raw magic of the world, also alongside dragons.
>>Dragons, being uber-mary sues, achieve absolutely nothing.
>>Humanity builds the first civilisation with the aid of sorcery, which eventually evolves into wizardry.
>>Humanity spreads across the planet, eventually meeting the dwarves, who were born of elemental magic (fire, stone, metal, ice and storm).
>>Humanity and dwarves make peace and trade; magic to dwarves, metalworking to humanity.
>>Civilisations flourish, grow into "industrialised magic" type magitek world (ala Eberron).
>>Elves show up on a flotilla of magical spaceships; species of arrogant fae necromancers & fleshcrafters, orphaned after their own world went kablooie.
>>Humanity decides to be generous and let them move in, as there's plenty of untamed land still out there.
>>Elves and dwarves promptly go to war with each other over usual realpolitik stupidity.
>>Elves destroy a dwarven city with mutagenic plagues. Dwarves respond by mutating captured elf soldiers into first orks as expendable warrior-slaves.
>>Orks get out of control and start fucking things up for everybody.
>>Humanity gets sick of being caught up in crossfire; creates Warforged armies to bolster ranks and researches "megaspells" to wipe out whole armies at a time.
>>Dwarves & Elves start work on megaspells too.
>>Black Dawn happens; whole world is blown away in a storm of magical destruction and planar leaks, ala RIFTS.
>>Generations later, survivors are trying to get shit back together in the mutated world left behind.
>>
>>50501881
>>50501629

Is hobgoblin just the middle size between goblins and orcs? Like, the mid evolution on a 3 stage Pokemon?
>>
>>50501862
In not going to argue against your retarded opinion anymore, but I will say that the fact that this is an argument does not reflect well on the rules for improvised weapons, the consistency thereof, or fair treatment for martials.
>>
>>50501809
The thing is, 5e made it so you could split up your attacks and move between them. Take Mobility and you can be great at skirmishing

The main thing is that it's less effective than just killing someone unless you're a monk or a Fighter and can stun/knock someone down, and so you run around tripping a bunch of enemies to waste their turns as you're gone by the time they stand up.

There's ways to play martials that are more interesting, but it really is more reliant on feats or multiclassing to get a proper toolbox.

I mean, theoretically you could get 2 levels in the spells as variant ranger, 3 in battlemaster fighter, and have 8 superiority dice to be smacking people with, but that's a bit convoluted.

There really just needs to be more martial subclasses that get more complex subsystems.
>>
>>50501953
No, it's the medium size goblinoid between goblins and bugbears.

Less pokemon evolution, more divine-magic assisted divergent literal evolution
>>
>>50501953
That's pretty much what they were in AD&D. Come 3e, I think, and orcs & goblinoids were actually separated more so - I can't recall if the "orcs and goblinoids hate each other and would rather kill each other than work together" from Volo's Guide is new to 5e or if it's from older editions.
>>
>>50501988
Alternatively, the base combat system could be more rewarding to innovation, environment / object interaction, and just doing cool shit instead of basic "I attack".

There would also need to be some kind of flat advantage given to martial classes in performing these (or being the only ones who can) to offset every other class, Wizards and Paladins and whatever else, also being able to say "I flip a table" or "I do the thing that the Fighter did and my Str is only 1 mod lower so hey"
>>
>>50501953
Hobgoblins are more like Romans to Orcs barbarians.
They use actually military tactics and have proper weapons and armour, but they aren't as strong.
>>
>>50501953
Goblins, hobgoblins, and bugbears are all goblinoids.
Orcs come from another planet and are not goblinoids.
>>
>>50502031
I think it's new I can't remember reading anything about it.
>>
>>50501790
>>50501809
That's why you get a dm that lets you do whacky stuff in combat like trying to cut off arms or something like that.
And combat is always boring if you just attack, and nothing ever gets described in detail.
Ask your dm to be descriptive.
>>
>>50497524
Bump
>>
>>50501905
>>
>>
>>50502113
yes, probably.
>>
>>50501900
Put in a reverse of pack tactics. Whenever a Hob-spartan is next to another, they impose disadvantage on all attacks against them, as long as they both have shields.
>>
>>50502213
>>50502213
>>50502213
>>50502213

New thread
>>
>>50502051
Yeah, but then that leads to codifying every little thing people can do in combat, rather than it just being a fast and loose system.

The best answer is to make such interactions as attacks with improvised weapons, but with big damage dice. A Fighter tosses a table at someone? He loses out on proficiency, but dealing 3d8 damage means it's gonna deal 6 more on average compared to a Greatsword. Throw in a free Athletics check with advantage to shove them, and it becomes even more worthwhile, sort of like a mini GWM combined with a free shove.

And then the Fighter still has one or more attacks left, meaning he can follow up by going and stabbing the guy who just got got knocked down.

Meanwhile, a Wizard or Cleric with similar strength could fling the table, but they're less likely to have Athletics to push the guy, and won't have the extra attacks to capitalize on it.

You can also take this a step further by actually remembering cover rules and to add terrain into fights, so that the Wizard is more likely to tilt that table over so they can hide from arrows, while the fighter is more likely to fling it so he can advance.

The systems for offering incentives are already there, it's just a matter of the DM making sure they're worthwhile.

You don't need a table for numbers on flinging tables, you just need the DM to say 'yeah, that's more damaging than a greatsword, bit less accurate'

And of course, making it too strong and reliable runs the risk of the party carrying around tables as weapons instead, but that's harder to limit without just telling them to cut it out.
>>
>>50502104
>The rules are fun if you ignore them.
>>
>>50500273

Yes, but I don't have it. WotC has an internal design document that lists all that but it's a literal trade secret.
>>
How are druids in 5e? How are they compared to 3.5?
>>
>>50503738
- No animal companion
- More restricted wild shape
- One subclass dedicated to casting, another dedicated to wild shape combat
- Strong but don't overshadow martials at all levels of the game
- Though they are practically unbeatable save for an instant-death effect or having a ton of strong monsters gang up on the mat once at 20th level (due to functionally-infinite HP)
>>
>>50503790
>- No animal companion

The fuck is this bullshit
>>
File: Scale.jpg (15KB, 370x400px) Image search: [Google]
Scale.jpg
15KB, 370x400px
>>50503827
>>
>>50503790
Get a magic item with death ward on it and youre invincible
Thread posts: 396
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.