[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /tg/ I know we all love alignment arguments, but I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

File: judgedreddclassicstop.jpg (64KB, 584x302px) Image search: [Google]
judgedreddclassicstop.jpg
64KB, 584x302px
So /tg/ I know we all love alignment arguments, but I'm trying to focus it. How could somebody play a Judge Dredd like character without being an absolute tightwad.
Hardmode: no alignment shifts from lawful neutral
>>
>how would someone play a Judge Dredd like character without playing like a Judge Dredd like character
>>
>>50488162
Trying to make a feasible replacement that is sensible but still has the hardassness that is truly neutral
>>
>>50487984
>How could somebody...

No, a better question is why would anyone want to?

If Judge Dredd isn't a tightwad he's just the most incredibly unlikeable character because he has no flaw or personality to balance out his incredible badassness.

>I wanna be like Frodo, but cool.
>I want to be like Conan, but you know, not superstitious and impulsive.
>I want to be like that villain guy, only not a cunt.
>I want to be Spiderman, but edgy and irresponsible!

You should have grown out of that by now.
>>
>>50488293
Thats exactly the problem. But therein lies the issue. There is no way someone can role play that character in a way that would work in a group of varied alignments, there is no sway in the law for anybody.
>>
File: 1480546210643.jpg (325KB, 800x566px) Image search: [Google]
1480546210643.jpg
325KB, 800x566px
>>50488392
You seem to misunderstand. You're asking us how to play a character, without actually playing the chacter. There is one defining feature of Judge Dredd:
>The Law is the only thing that truly matters, and it will be upheld at all costs. The Law is absolute, and blind. There are no exceptions, no passes, no warnings. There is only the Law.
That is Judge Dredd, his entire character summed up. Take that away, and what do you get? Your standard issue edgelord lonewolf whose character has about as much texture as greased jello. You can't play a character without actually playing the chacter.
TL;DR: You can't do that faggot
>>
File: dreddpose_1024.jpg (88KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
dreddpose_1024.jpg
88KB, 1024x768px
>>50488985
You seem to also misunderstand, I never wanted to play Judge Dredd, just something akin to him, I acknowledged that without following the law to a T he is a floppy limp dick character. My initial question is also similarly floppy. I want to embrace his characteristics without also being a limp dick. If it helps I'm playing a 3.5 crusader from the book of weeaboo fightan magic.
>>
>>50489205

Have a code, stick to that code come hell or high water, make the code itself something with enough wiggle room that even if you follow it without deviating you won't fuck over your group (too much).
>>
>>50489205
YOU CAN'T PLAY SOMETHING AKIN TO DREDD WITHOUT AN AUTISTIC ADHERENCE TO THE LAW! THAT IS ALL HE HAS, THAT IS HIS CHARACTER: THE LAW!
However, nobody said you have to adhere to Dredd's laws. You will have to adhere autistically to your patron's laws though. And if it's a mixed alignment party, you have two options:
1. Pick a different character concept
2. Inform your fellow players that you are THE LAW, and will roleplay as such
At the very least, it'll make for nice roleplay when your party of less than upstanding citizens will have to tip-toe and plan their dastardly deeds around you.
>>
I should also have to follow the laws of the land to perfection as well as those of my diety (st. cuthbert) as both are closely aligned, but that is also what makes it difficult. Cuthbert being the patron fits very well with the character, I beat the shit out of lawlessness good or bad. How low down on the list do I pay attention to, can I be autistic about the law without stopping every five feet to beat the shit out of a vagrant who is waiting for his lucky day to experience a divine ass kicking.
>>
File: I am the law.jpg (43KB, 304x450px) Image search: [Google]
I am the law.jpg
43KB, 304x450px
>>50489205
>>
Just make a character who's philosophy is as follows:

I believe good and evil are subjective, and if they are not, they are known only to gods. It would be the definition of arrogance to think a mortal could even begin to fathom a god. Therefore, the terms are useless, and should not be considered in questions of "morality".

What is objective is law. Law is made by men, and it was made expressly to be understood by men. Law allows people to live happy, productive lives. Happiness and productivity are not inherently "good", but they are arguably the closest a mortal could understand.

Lawlessness is suffering. Though it may serve the needs of one, it will never serve the needs of many.

Therefore, I choose law, and I will leave the matter of "good" and "evil" to the gods.
>>
>>50490055
Scratch the bit about being happy and productive, and go with:

>What is objective is law. Law is made by men and it was made expressly to be understood by men. Those who make the law have received their authority from the gods. Therefore, the law is the will of the gods in a way men can understand.
>>
>>50488985
not that op isn't a fag, however there have been plenty of times dredd has bent the rules. For example the old guy who broke into a cemetery to bury his wife so she doesn't soilent greened. Dredd sent him to prison but he let the guy bury his wife.
>>
File: latest.jpg (297KB, 1080x751px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
297KB, 1080x751px
>>50490136
I have read that issue, there seems to be a great deal of discretion that goes into his decisions, and ultimately he can go either way in the good or evil scale to uphold the law. Citing noise citations to children who sing him happy birthday and then donating all of his gifts to a orphanage is another I've heard, but i don't know if that's real or not.
>>50490055
That's an interesting idea, it takes the essence of it seems much more open ended, and it still fits the crusader of cuthbert ideologies pretty well
>>
>>50487984
It really depends, and it's really not an alignment thing, it's just a character thing.

You can make a character who is a merciless pursuer of evil who understands nuance. He doesn't shoot a person in the head for telling a lie, because that just makes you human. But if you are a career thief, he has no qualms about breaking your fingers, because you are a person who has chosen to live by hurting others. And, if you are aligned with evil powers, you gotta go.

Again it's not really about mixing alignments, but mixing ideologies. Judge Dread could easily team up with Conan, And they are literally opposite on the chart (Lawful Neutral vs Chaotic Neutral)
>>
>>50488293
> >I wanna be like Frodo, but cool.
So, basically Samwise?
> >I want to be like Conan, but you know, not superstitious and impulsive.
Okay, you got me.
> >I want to be like that villain guy, only not a cunt.
So, basically Nox?
> >I want to be Spiderman, but edgy and irresponsible!
So, basically Venom?
>>
File: Judge Dredd.jpg (38KB, 303x600px) Image search: [Google]
Judge Dredd.jpg
38KB, 303x600px
>>50487984

Dredd has always been a arsehole though, it's kind of his things.

He does have a soft side though if you can find a way in which helping someone and administering the law are both the same thing.

ie. when he wanted to give mutants rights to enter Mega City One, he did it so they were under the control of the law but it helped the muties as well.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.