[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

$$$ /mtg/ $$$ Magic: the Gathering $$$ Modern $$$ Competitive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 334
Thread images: 39

File: Liliana of the Veil.jpg (29KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Liliana of the Veil.jpg
29KB, 223x310px
What are you currently playing?
What do you hate to sit down across from?
How did you do at your last FNM?
When's your next big tourney?
What are you playing there?
How many people are you borrowing cards from?
What was the filthiest, most savage thing you've done in a sanctioned tournament?
>>
>>50483947
>What was the filthiest, most savage thing you've done in a sanctioned tournament?
Playing with fakes
>>
>>50483947
You are such a butthurt faggot.
>>
>>50483969
Those china men are hard working, honest people. Gotta buy the fakes so they can feed their families.

For realzies, if you have the real cards, use them. Kindly fuck off you have a problem with people playing better than you with fake cards. Maybe if you actually practiced the game, you would be better at this game, like the guy with fakes.
>>
>>50483947

Jeskai / Grixis control

former is good against aggressive decks, latter is slower but good against combo decks
>>
File: NLM.png (20KB, 684x439px) Image search: [Google]
NLM.png
20KB, 684x439px
what the fuck kind of font is this?
better be worth my 15mb and less than 10 minutes of searching or I'll demand a refund

has anyone read pic related?
>>
>>50484401
What's your Jeskai wincon?

I'm on Nahiri but Cryptic seems so amazing right now, I'm having trouble managing my four drop slot
>>
>>50484500
If you bought that you just paid for his hush money fund and cocaine

>>50484006
100% this, if I had the option between playing a game of Legacy with a dude who had fakes and not playing at all, I'd take the former option every time

>>50484401
>Grixis control

I've been doing Grixis Delver for a while, but honestly after seeing Yahenni's Expertise spoiled I think Control might be the better option.
>>
I think Jeskai Nahiri and Jeskai control are two very different decks.

Nahiri is more of a splintertwin-ish stay efficient, out tempo your opponent and then control the board until Nahiri ults...which is total shit with so much dredge floating around.

Jeskai control seems to be more of the regular control control. More counters and yeah Cryptics. Fatcaster + Connade beats really seem like the good way to go for the deck, and probably a "better" wincon than Nahiri.

Kinda just rambling thoughts.
>>
>>50483947
>What are you currently playing?
D&T
>What do you hate to sit down across from?
Stinky fat people

>How did you do at your last FNM?
Didn't go

>When's your next big tourney?
Legacy in Kentucky early next year

>What are you playing there?
D&T

>How many people are you borrowing cards from?

>What was the filthiest, most savage thing you've done in a sanctioned tournament?
Calling people on Leonin Arbiter to get them game losses. It's your job to read the card, I don't have to tell you how it works if you don't ask me. Close second is doing the Mutavault dance with Worship until I can build up enough in-hand threats to Vial dump and create a winning board.
>>
File: cutest hitler.jpg (58KB, 564x798px) Image search: [Google]
cutest hitler.jpg
58KB, 564x798px
>>50484842
That guy who always posts this image here

Even when Jeskai Control was good (the sphinx rev days), the issue with the deck has always been a lack of a wincon. Even if you're a full hand of cards up on your opponent in card advantage, if you can't actually close out the game they'll catch up again and with the lack of card selection in modern you could easily lose a game where you had achieved complete control with your opponent drawing the nuts twice versus your two land topdecks. People tried so many things as a wincon and all were decent but the problem with Modern control has always been that there are so many different decks running around, finding a wincon that beats all (or at least most) decks was difficult to impossible

The power of Nahiri is threefold in Jeskai because she provides a fast wincon that is devastating against basically every deck, whilst also fixing topdeck issues with her loot ability. Even with Dredge running around I still deem her to be the strongest control wincon in the format (honestly no control deck has a shot at beating dredge game 1)
>>
So I've been playing jeskai control on xmage and I'm thinking about buying into it and was wondering about snap/fatcaster ratios.

I've seen some go 3:1 or 4:1 but is it worth running 2 Fatcasters or is that a little too greedy for modern?

I'm leaning towards 4:2 but if I can save a couple bucks by cutting one snap I'd like to.
>>
>>50483947
>Playing :
Shock Pox (loam pox with molten vortex, minus all of the bad cards)
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/shock-pox/

>Hated matchup:
probably living end or storm. I cant win without a lot of dedicated hate.

>Most savage plays:
generally, playing smallpox after their first turn. Most decks that try to play creatures turn one have to start over with four cards in hand. Also, infinite ravens crime or ghost quarters make games very unfair against a lot of decks.
>>
>>50484006
Fakes might finally get me into competing in constructed MTG tournaments.
>>
>>50484980
i run my sun and moon with gisela just for fun. but i think i should try nahiri
>>
Don't have moneys for quality discard at the moment (Inquisitions and Thoughtseizes). Which ones of the following budget cards are closer to playable?
It's a mono B deck, so there's no real difference between 1B and BB.
Blackmail
Duress
Raven's Crime
Harsh Scrutiny
Wrench Mind
>>
>>50484938

How is leonin arbiter resulting in game losses? Looking at extra cards isn't a game loss. I don't see where in the IPG this would result in a game loss.
>>
>>50485288
Chinamen thoughtseizes are like 2,75 bucks each
>>
>>50484980
>I still deem her to be the strongest control wincon in the format
I think that's too bold. I think she's good, and in terms of "If I ult I win" yeah sure. But strongest in the format? I don't know man.

>>50485121
I think it depends on how many Cryptics you run? If 4, I'd stick with the 3:1 split. 2 seems like it lead to some clogged up early game draws.
>>
>>50485474
strongest *control* wincon in the format, it'd be arbitrary to compare her to Goblin Guide, Glistener Elf or Primeval Titan

>>50485121
You want four snaps, snapcaster is the reason to play blue in modern. But for budget reasoning you could start off with 3/2 and then save up for the last one perhaps. I'm not really a big fan of Torrential Gearhulk but when I tried him out he was pretty decent as a one-of as six is a LOT of mana in Modern.
>>
Does anyone have pictures of the fakes they bought? I was thinking of picking some up, namely tarmogyofs and lilianas, and I as wondering how they looked and if they were good enough to pass during regular weeklies or even high level events.
>>
>>50484006
>Maybe if you actually practiced the game, you would be better at this game, like the guy with fakes.
You practice without fakes. It's called PROXYING. You should try it sometime. Costs you literally nothing. That's even *cheaper* than fakes.
>>
>>50485857
but you cant use proxies in tournaments...
>>
>>50485857
>>50485640
Why are you doing *this* so much?
>>
>>50484788
nah, dnoid I'm not paying for this
I can't find deck building, though.

>>50484788
>>50485239
Fake cards don't help you play better. In a 75-card mirror the better player is going to win more matches.

>>50485857
I know people that don't do proxy because they 'don't have the cards'
And what do you do when your slips of paper that say 'goyf' on the back of a basic land won't pass at FNM?
>>
File: 135.jpg (64KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
135.jpg
64KB, 312x445px
>>50483947

Lantern Control

Usually grixis control. Jeskai control isn't a dream either.

4-0

GP side event Saturday

Lantern Control

I don't think any at the moment

Attacking with a "Leathal" inkmoth nexus with a Melira on the board. It's not my place to prevent my opponent from conceding.
>>
>>50486035
The best part is that it deals no damage and no poison
>>
File: Root+Maze+%255B10E%255D[1].jpg (37KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Root+Maze+%255B10E%255D[1].jpg
37KB, 223x310px
I was thinking about some way to compensate my lack of budget for fetches and then I remembered this is a card.

I'm a big fan of stax but in modern, the only two decks that have this playstyle (SnM and Lantern) are outside of my budget.

Do you think a pox deck running Root Maze would have a shot in competitive leagues on MTGO ? Mtggoldfish had some pretty good results with a janky death cloud deck in their budget series.
>>
>>50486035
I guess the board never went to an illegal state, so you wouldn't even have got a warning.

I feel bad for the guy though lol.
>>
File: 1479483722696.jpg (47KB, 553x640px) Image search: [Google]
1479483722696.jpg
47KB, 553x640px
Hey guys im just getting back into magic after a 10 year hiatus. Back when i used to play ravnica was the new block out and i really love the house of dimir mill/counter deck. Is there anything like that used at competitive games right now? I feel kinda lost with all the options to build my deck since i wanna start going to fnm again
>>
>>50486841
>mill
>new players

What's your budget? Lantern Control is the best mill deck atm. And if you want to mill yourself, Dredge.
>>
>>50486841
Mill is definitely not viable in any format.
If you're not sure what you want to play, Jund is the way to go.
>>
>>50486860
It's like this morning all over again.
>>
>>50485840
Lurk leddit for moar info bootlegmtg
>>
>>50485965
>Fake cards don't help you play better. In a 75-card mirror the better player is going to win more matches
But it gives you the cards to play. Fakes don't make you to be a better player, they just allow you to play in tournaments without wasting tons of money on cardboard
>>
So what's gonna be the big reprint for MM2017, Snap or Liliana?
>>
>>50487061
Safe to say both, probably AV also.
>>
>>50487061
Lili at mythic, snap at common
>>
>>50487061
>New rarity: ultrahipermegarare. This is a card that was only printed there times in this set, good luck opening one!
>Groove of the burnwillow
>Liliana
>Snapcaster
>Inkmoth Nexus
>Horizon canopy
The res of the set is draft shit
Thank you limited shitters, you are the cancer killing Magic
>>
File: 20161126_133039.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20161126_133039.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>50486353
>>50486595
Yep, they just didn't understand the interaction. I did like 15 points of non-poison "damage." And they scooped. oh well.

Same thing about being dead on board next turn at two life and revealing a hand of might, might, Mutagenic growth with a blighted Agent and 2 green lands available. Opponent at 0 poison. Opponent says "... Yep, I guess that's lethal." And scoops the cards. I never placed any of the spells on the stack and didn't say anything to imply paying two life. Just put my hand on the table.
>>
>>50487283
Sounds like it could of been a "I'm pretty much dead anyways" concede.
>>
>>50485362
How can they cost 3$ when there's no artificial scarcity? Just charging as much as they want because they're still 4 times cheaper?
>>
>>50487283
damn I really want more modern cards with that old border
>>
>>50487348
Because the person that made them needs to be paid for their work. It's that fucking simple.
>>
File: 20161201_160953~2.jpg (1MB, 2708x2275px) Image search: [Google]
20161201_160953~2.jpg
1MB, 2708x2275px
>>50487336
They kill me immediately the next turn. I have no blocks and can't win the game. If they make me cast the spells I can die paying the two life or die after doing the 9 poison. But they didn't think about it and conceded. That was my intention. My body language is that I can kill them. Not that I concede. If they called my bluff that's fine. But I'm in it to win.

>>50487369
You're telling me anon.
>>
>>50485328
You're taking several illegal actions (minimum 2 GRV) by searching your library and taking a card from it without paying for the Arbiter tax.
The trick is that you wait until they grab what they wanted and put it onto the battlefield or into their hand (or wherever) and immediately call the Judge over before they shuffle and present. I've had this work locally at Competitive REL many times and at Professional REL (GP Day 2) once. You kinda have to lawyer a bit over multiple infractions but they're getting minimum a GRV Warning.
>>
>>50487521
Sounds like you're a faggot. Please return to your circle jerk general. Thanks
>>
>>50487521
I agree with >>50487726, go fuck off.
>>
>>50483947
Nya~ Burn (^・ω・^ )

Titan Shift
Its practically impossible for me to beat that shit.

Last FNM I went to I went 4-0
Was back in my hometown where absolutely no one plays burn, so no one had any SB tech to deal with me.

This Saturday, going with my big bro who's in the Army.

Burn

No one, but I'm gonna try and bum a fetch or two off a friend.

Winning 4 games in a row using deflecting palms that I sided in.
>>
>>50487521
While we're on the subject, ignoring leonin arbiter is a special action and doesn't use the stack, but do all players have to pass after taking a special action for the next spell on the stack to resolves? e.g. if my opponent ghost quarters me, passes priority and I pay the 2, do they have a chance to flicker the arbiter or can I pass and resolve GQ effect immediately?
>>
>>50487521
>Being so bad you have to rulelawyer a win.
Wew lad, because just telling the guy if he is gonna pay the tax or not is too difficult.
>>
>>50487938
http://magiccards.info/query?q=leonin+arbiter&v=card&s=cname
1/1/2011: Paying {2} to ignore Leonin Arbiter’s effect is a special action. Any player may take this special action any time he or she has priority. It doesn’t use the stack and can’t be responded to.
>>
Already posted this in the modern general but if anyone else wants to take the challenge it might be fun.

I have just over $200 to spend on Magic cards that's burning a hole in my pocket. Put together a package of cards at that price I can buy on ebay or wherever else you can find them cheap. If it's good I'll post proof of purchase for everything on the list.

I collect for value but also play all different kinds of decks so either way you want to do it works. I already got offered a booster box of Modern Masters for $200 but I'd rather maybe buy some singles or playsets from that to fill out decks and get some other stuff instead of getting the full box.
>>
>>50488246
Yes, but for a spell/ability to resolve both players have to pass without playing a spell or activating an ability. Does this count for that purpose?
>>
>>50488592
If the ability can't be responded to I would assume you can't flicker the arbiter or flash in a second one until after you finish searching,as you can't activate abilities in the middle of something resolving. but frankly I'm no judge so I can't be certain.
>>
>>50488562
>I already got offered a booster box of Modern Masters for $200 but I'd rather maybe buy some singles or playsets from that to fill out decks and get some other stuff instead of getting the full box

Smart move. 90% of the stuff in MM is fucking trash.

>Some good modern powerhouses off the top of my head (some goodstuff transferrable to other decks, some less so, trying not to list narrow stuff like Cranial Plating or Golgari Grave-Troll)
Lightning Bolt
Serum Visions
Inquisition of Kozilek
Thoughtseize
Aether Vial
Path to Exile
Mox Opal
Delver of Secrets
Snapcaster Mage
Remand
Mana Leak
Ancient Stirrings
Collective Brutality
Leonin Arbiter
old and new Thalia
Young Pyromancer (less so but still worth owning a playset)
Gitaxian Probe
Liliana of the Veil (too expensive)
Tarmogoyf (ditto)

>Nonbasics, always usable:
Fetches
Shocks
Mutavault
Celestial Colonnade
Raging Ravine
Ghost Quarter
Blinkmoth Nexus

That's a pretty good place to start.
>>
>>50488913

Forgot to list some very powerful silver bullets like Rest in Peace, Stony Silence and their ilk.
>>
>>50488913
Damn man, thanks. I was just looking at a Mox Opal actually. Do you think it's worth it to buy the Kaladesh invention version of that card if you can get it at a decent price or go with a regular version?
>>
>>50488913

Fuck how could I forget
Wild Nacatl
Rift Bolt
Atarkas Command
Kolaghans Command
Lightning Helix
Nahiri, the Harbinger
Spell Queller
Geist of Saint Traft
Thought-Knot Seer
Life from the Loam

I'm sure there's plenty more I'm missing. Sift through for your favorites.
>>
>>50488984
The kaladesh inventions/zendikar expeditions are purely bling, if you care about showing off your rare cardboard sure
>>
>>50488984

Im more on the path of playability over collectability, but if you could get the inventions for a *very* modest premium I would get them. (For me, no more than say, 20%. But you might be different.)
>>
>>50489007
I think they're hideous
>>
>>50489007
That's what I thought. So far I'm grabbing regular Aether Vial, Mox Opal, a Nahiri or two, a playset of Young Pyromancer, playset of Mana Leak, Atarka's Command, and probably a booster of something for the fun of opening it.

>>50489079
I'm doing a mixture of both but it was $70, so not very modest haha.
>>
>>50489182
I would definitely grab a playset of Lightning Bolt, Gitaxian Probe and Serum Visions
>>
>>50489203
I already have the Lightning Bolts and Serum Visions but I can get a playset of Gitaxian Probe for $10 so I'll definitely grab that too. I like that card a lot.
>>
>>50489182
>I'm grabbing regular Aether Vial, Mox Opal, a Nahiri or two, a playset of Young Pyromancer, playset of Mana Leak, Atarka's Command, and probably a booster of something for the fun of opening it.
Why wouldn't you build a deck? You won't even be able to play anything with the cards you're getting
>>
>>50489307
I already have several decks, these are just to add to the ones I have.
>>
>>50487402
>Because the person that made them needs to be paid for their work.
If Magic players realized this shit then they would realize that their stupid FNM should probably cost at least $10 with zero prize support because their store makes nothing off it.

And fucking FNM does not bring in sales. The vast majority of FNM players just get singles they need and not always from the store.

When I walked into a games store for the first time I couldn't believe people were haggling or begging for discounts on shit.
>>
>>50484704
>I'm on Nahiri but Cryptic seems so amazing right now, I'm having trouble managing my four drop slot
I hear that Torrential Gearhulk plays well with Cryptic. It's a nice wincon, too.
>>
>>50487348
>How can they cost 3$ when there's no artificial scarcity?
Because counterfeits aren't made on a fucking Xerox you dumbfuck.
>>
>>50489530

>Implying that's why they're expensive

No, even if they're on a professional press it would still be very marked up over cost at a dollar a piece. You're looking at the fact that people will buy them either way, that its far cheaper than the alternative. If someone won't buy them at 12 bucks but will buy at 1, they'll probably buy at 2 and probably buy at 3. It's strictly about driving profits.
>>
File: 41287M055007_2.jpg (331KB, 517x1406px) Image search: [Google]
41287M055007_2.jpg
331KB, 517x1406px
>>50489344
Yeah, but it's not even just that because it goes further.

Kind of off topic but i'm a /fa/g so..

It's like when people complain about designer clothing costing too much because of "it's just a shirt" or some shit. They completely ignore the fact that a literal genius had to put absurd amounts of work into that garment.
>>
>>50489912
>a literal genius had to put absurd amounts of work into that garment.
And it still looks like shit.
>>
File: 1473135223795.jpg (46KB, 460x439px) Image search: [Google]
1473135223795.jpg
46KB, 460x439px
can anyone point me in the direction of a good blue control deck? im just starting play and the idea of countering andcontrol appeals to me
>>
>>50489936
If your new then why did you come to a competitive thread?
>>
File: tumblr_ni0w6d5Zgf1qzjwylo1_1280.jpg (426KB, 1280x1920px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ni0w6d5Zgf1qzjwylo1_1280.jpg
426KB, 1280x1920px
>>50489925
I'm actually not much of a fan either, but the model looked like Sang Woo Kim
>>
>>50489936

You're in luck! Play legacy miracles. That's the best I can do.
>>
>>50489946
to be competitive.
>>
>>50489985
So without knowing anything about the modern format or meta you decided to ask 4chan? Just fucking Google it or watch some YouTube videos man, it's not fucking hard.
>>
>>50489946

Probably because he's new and doesn't know the difference you fucking neckbeard. This isn't FNM at the Autismbowl where your cheeto stained deck of Tarmogoyf and Jace reprints you got off AliExpress make you a badass, don't be a fucking cunt.

Also

>You're

>>50489936

Something that's cheap and fun to start with and will keep you in the game you might like is Mono-Blue Brains. You can put it together for like $20.
>>
>>50490006
People like you are why Magic is dying again.
>>
>>50490006
its hard to ask youtube what decks are good to run. i figured you guys are out at fnm and have competent decks and can point me in the right direction. im not asking for you guys to build me a deck.
>>
>>50490016
>"Don't be a cunt"
>Corrects grammar
>Suggests a deck that is unlikely to get a single win at FNM

Seems like you're the real cunt. Instead of holding his hand and telling him to play bad decks that will make it so he doesn't even get to have fun, tell him to do some basic fucking research on a several hundred if not thousand dollar investment.
>>
>>50490016
thanks for the suggestion. i dont mind spending a bit of cash for a deck if i need to.
>>
>>50490053
mtggoldfish.com
mtgtop8.com

Really, these are the only resources you need for competitive decklists.
>>
>>50490031
Now has been killing magic for the last 5 years anon. Not my saltiness that literal retards think they can get legitimate advice off of the modern thread on 4chan

>>50490053
And yes you can do that exact thing you just said. Hell there are entire websites that tell you what is good in the current met and what isn't. Don't act like this is secret info either. Just put some fucking effort in, instead of wanting to be spoon-fed
>>
>>50490083
i had a question about mtgtop8. what exactly do all the percentages mean?

like for aggro it says 46%
Metagame Breakdown

814 decks

Jund 51 6 %
>>
So, anyone with chinamen wanna go and post pics? I wanna know if the quality of his cardboard has improved.
>>
>>50490116
The OP in these threads has gone to shit. They used to tell you all you needed to know. Look through the archive here, there might be threads with a good OP there.

The percentage means how popular the decks are. When you hear people talk about Tier 1 or Tier 2, it doesn't mean how good the deck is but how often they're played.
>>
>>50490116
we split decks up into 3 main types, aggro combo and control. 46% means 46% of decks that top 8 events are aggro. The site is bad at categorizing a lot of decks though, and puts many in the wrong type.
51 is the absolute number of decks that have top 8'd recently, rather than a percentage
>>
>>50490149
so when im specifically looking at lets say jund decks and one has a level rank of 10 that means that one is played more than all the others?
>>
>>50490177
ranked is what they placed the that tournament, e.g. 10 means they came 10th. Some have a range of numbers, e.g. 5-8, because whoever publishes the results might not specify who came 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, but rather which decks ended in the top 8, and which ended in the top 4. Level is how 'important' the event was, or the perceived level of competitiveness.
>>
>>50490137
No. They still suck. I have some and they're not very good. Zendikar fetches are good though
>>
new to modern and i want to build affinity since its about at my price range and seem fun. is it a good deck? seems like artifact hate in general would kinda wreck it, how common is that in modern?
>>
>>50490919
Affinity has an amazing game 1 but usually loses game 2 because of how much artifact hate there is
>>
>>50490919
Affinity is completely balls to the walls. Even with all the artifact hate out there, It still has an amazing win rate because of how fucking nuts it is. Its not uncommon for the deck to completely dump its hand on turn 1 and then just win. Counting to 20 (sometimes just to 10) has never been more fun, or quicker.
>>
So what is monastery mentor played in for it to be $10 at my LGS? I want to run Esper control/tokens and I'm just wondering about it's price
>>
>>50491112
Modern is not the only format
>>
>>50491129
My first thought was probably legacy but I know nothing about the legacy metagame. I want to know what non-modern decks run it
>>
>>50491112
>>50491161
Legacy Miracles

It's also played in Vintage, but that doesn't affect prices much.
>>
>>50487922
How are you having trouble with titanshift, I feel like burn is one of my worst matchups.
>>
File: scoopshift.png (2MB, 1875x1025px) Image search: [Google]
scoopshift.png
2MB, 1875x1025px
>>50488853
the way it works is that you have to pay the tax before you crack the fetch because once you put the fetch ability on the stack and pass priority you can't use the special action as you don't have priority and the ability on the stack will resolve as 'you pay 1 life and sacrifice your polluted delta'. you can also 'activate fetch hold priority pay 2' but that doesn't accomplish anything relevant because your opponent still gets priority with the fetch ability on the stack.
your opponent can flicker the arbiter at any point he has priority, such as after the fetch is placed on the stack, but you'll have the opportunity to pay for it again after the flicker resolves and you once again have priority with the fetch ability still on the stack.

t. death & taxes guy
>>
>>50492158
>takes name off
>still can't help but beg for attention
>>
>>50491835
Main deck Baloths and Thragtusk in the SB
Bolts and Anger to sweep my dudes
Mana Ramp to cast everything early
Titanshift is frankly an unwinnable matchup unless I get a nut hand that wipes before my opponent's 3rd turn.
>>
>>50490137
r/
Bootlegmtg
>>
File: ITS EXODIA MANE.jpg (35KB, 361x523px) Image search: [Google]
ITS EXODIA MANE.jpg
35KB, 361x523px
@50492339
thanks for the (You)

(you don't get one though)
>>
>>50485288
Wrench Mind is the best card in monoblack discard (I'm assuming 8rack). The downside is real sometimes but unless you find a way to rush delirium for Whispers, Wrench is where it's at. If you're playing a midrange creature deck (non-8rack) then blackmail I guess?

Whatchu playin
>>
>>50489912
I'm a literal genius and I can tell you why that design is ackchually worth money. It's because neanderthals such as yourself are easy to manipulate into thinking my dumb design is worth money when I'm only good at abstract reasoning.
>>
>>50489965
the dude on the right looks like that one dota player, cant remember his fucking name for the life of me though
>>
>>50484980
The problem with control in modern isn't a lack of win-cons it's a lack of answers to everything the format throws at it. Control in standard works because all the aggro decks tend to look the same so you can sideboard effectively committing up to 4 cards even to the aggro MU, but in modern, aggro matchups look like
>Infect
>Affinity
>Burn
>Suicide Zoo
>Dredge
>Prowess
And each of these are answered in completely unique ways, while you still have to worry about random combo decks like
>Primeval Titan/Through The Breech/Valakut
>Living End
>Ad Nauseum
>Tron
>Chord/Toolbox/Combo
>Random Homebrew Snowflakes
and THEN they have to worry about the "Fair" Matchups (although admittedly they "should" beat abzan/jund most of the time) such as
>Abzjund
>Eldrazi
>Lantern

The problem with control in Modern is that Modern is just too diverse a format to make an effective control deck. Best you can get is tempo/off-balance decks like delver.
>>
>>50493178
is he also really hot?
>>
File: cheeky tef.jpg (640KB, 1067x800px) Image search: [Google]
cheeky tef.jpg
640KB, 1067x800px
Rate my deck /tg/.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/teferi-possibility-stifler/

I noticed that Grixis Control can sometimes have a bit of trouble closing out the game before the opponent claws they're way back in (particularly when you're too poor to afford a playset of Ancestral Visions) so I included a hard-lock. There's more notes about the deck in the description.
>>
>>50488562

Important question, Modern Masters 1 or Modern Masters 2? Because Modern Masters 1 is much better value and can be worth grabbing. MM2 is an awful value set though.
>>
>>50489936

Grixis Control and Jeskai Control are your best competitive options. I mean if you want to go longshot int literally just countering and bouncing all their shit all day then go into U Tron but as someone who plays U Tron I can tell you right now the deck is in a really bad position against Dredge decks.
>>
>>50491112

Legacy and Vintage.
>>
>>50490116
The percentages of a deck are how often that deck shows up in a top 8 or winning a MTGO online daily or something. This is not indicative of their DIRECT powerlevel or anything, but it is safe to assume a popular deck is also a strong one, because people will gravitate towards the strongest decks in a given meta. The ones whom don't are either too poor to afford one of these popular decks or are purposefully brewing something they think can challenge the meta, something that no one else has seen. And in formats where there are like 25,000 cards available to choose from, there is a strong possibility that there are combos or synergies that people haven't cottoned onto yet.
>>
>>50492158
But if I perform a special action while I have priority and my opponent has already passed priority to me prior, does the first spell/ability on the stack resolve when I pass or does me activating a special ability mean both players have to pass without doing anything again?
>>
>>50492793
Just ordered a Mono B Infect deck, so it's kind of midrangey. I have yet to test it against real decks but since thoughtseize and inquisition are B staples I'll probably end up getting them sooner or later.
>>
File: IMG_3630.jpg (32KB, 680x497px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3630.jpg
32KB, 680x497px
Infect/affinity/burn/valakut>>>>>>>bogles>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>8whack
Jund is the only deck I can't stand
Haven't been to modern tourney in so long
Read above
I'd choose infect
I buy my cards
Laughed after stomping a casual player turn 2 and told them sorry
>>
>>50486985
My point about fakes is that whether they are real cards or fake, that doesn't improve my skill at the game. If suddenly -insert your pro player of choice-'s cards were all replaced with fakes, they wouldn't be a better or worse player.
>>
since the ops are such shit, let's make a new pasta

information to include

This is the competitive modern thread. It's okay to be casual but this thread is for discussing competitive modern. If you're new and have a low budget, that's fine but modern is not the format for you.

Decks:
>https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper
>mtgtop8.com
Free articles:
>channelfireball.com
>starcitygames.com

White, Blue, Black, Red, Green are abbreviated as W, U, B, R, G, respectively and always in that order.
Two and three color combinations all have their own names. A deck being called 'Grixis Control' means it's a Blue/Black/Red control deck.

Guilds:
>WU Azorius
>UB Dimir
>BR Rakdos
>RG Gruul
>GW Selesnya
>WB Orzhov
>UR Izzet
>BG Golgari
>RW Boros
>GU Simic
Shards:
>GWU Bant
>WUB Esper
>UBR Grixis
>BRG Jund
>RGW Naya
Wedges:
WBG Abzan
URW Jeskai
BUG Sultai
RWB Mardu
RUG Temur
>>
>>50494267
the first thing on the stack resolves when both players have passed priority regardless of special actions.
so if you played it like:
>you activate your mcguffin and pass priority
>your opponent does nothing or takes a special action with the mcguffin ability on the stack and passes priority
mcguffin resolves and the active player gets priority again, so you never actually are able to
>perform a special action while I have priority and my opponent has already passed priority to me prior
because the stack resolved when the other guy passed while taking no action (or a special action)

>does me activating a special ability mean both players have to pass without doing anything again
no abilities or triggers were put on the stack, so no.
>>
>>50495998
cool, thanks
>>
>>50495848

>Including what the colors and combinations are

This is the COMPETITIVE thread. Everybody already knows that shit. And that's more than half your post. Scrap it and try again.
>>
>>50496279
well what information would you include?
no one else is trying to create a pasta
>>
Can I use a creature destruction spell to stop the Thopter Foundry/Sword of the Meek combo? If yes, when do I play it?

When do I use my artifact destruction? When they sac the Sword?
>>
>>50496337
No, the sword will come back even if you kill the 1/1 it would be attached to
When they sac the sword, but if they have any other artifacts to spare they can sac those to get a 1/1 and the sword back and dump all their mana for 1/1's anyway.
>>
>>50496296
links to Tier 1 lists and strategies so fa/tg/uys can be prepared for the field when they bring 5-color-budget-rainbow-pony-control to an IQ

links to rules, infractions and penalties at various REL so they know what's going to happen when they tard-rage about 'I didn't even get to play my planeswalker! I was gonna win until he did that stupid move! SO UNFAIR!'

links to basic hygiene guides
>>
>>50487941
>claiming to be a competitive player without knowing the rules and how to leverage them
>not playing cutthroat at cash tournaments
wow dude you're a fucken rube congrats on getting farmed
>>
>>50492494
>going to reddit
>>
>>50496429
>links to basic hygiene guides
SAVAGE
>>
>>50485288
I play 8rack with 3 IoK/3 Thoughtseize/ 2 Blackmail. Blackmail is so good
>>
>>50483947
Pre OGW I was playing rG tron
I got cussed out by a casual who thought Emrakul was banned. I shrugged and pointed out he had 7 turns of development.
>>
>>50496770
God forbid
>>
File: Screenshot_20161202-122247~2.png (302KB, 847x2281px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161202-122247~2.png
302KB, 847x2281px
Does pauper ever get any love on /tg/? Been a while since I played, but I'm in close quarters with some friends for a few months and we all agreed to mock up some pauper decks.

Been playing with this and we're all having fun, which has made some of us want to take the next step and upgrade one of our decks to the modern variant, this is the one I picked to upgrade.

Where can I go with this as a framework? My buddy goes on about how I need Champion of the Parish but beyond that I've done very little googling.

I don't post on /tg/ often so I don't know how r8 and h8 is received really but at least I'm anonymous
>>
>>50496523
>trying to justify their shit personality with "m-muh fight money"

>not playing to improve themselves as players and face opponents at their best

looks like we've got a legendary triple nigger here, boys
>>
is this a good time to sell my collection?
>>
Titanshift, Dredge, Ad Nauseam

Infect is always shitty if you aren't playing goodcards.dec but Ad Nauseam is also pretty annoying to play against, especially the mirror.

2-1 with Ad Nauseam

GP San Antonio

Ad Nauseam, it's not my favorite deck but we need it to round out our team. Right now we're Dredge, Ad Nauseam, and Mono White Humans.

lol I'm not poor

One time I accidentally played a whole game 1 sideboarded and didn't tell my opponent or a judge. I still feel grimy about that win.
>>
>>50498319
Start a pauper thread. Most people here don't care about it.

I was working on a mardu deck before.

Current list

4 Dark Confidant
4 Young Pyromancer
2 Soulfire Grand Master
2 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
4 Lingering Souls

4 Path to Exile
4 Thoughtseize
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Lightning Helix
2 Zealous Persecution
2 Terminate
1 Kolaghan's Command
1 Sorin, Solemn Visitor

4 Marsh Flats
4 Arid Mesa
2 Bloodstained Mire
2 Godless Shrine
2 Sacred Foundry
2 Blood Crypt
2 Plains
2 Swamp
1 Mountain
2 Shambling Vent
1 Vault of the Archangel

SB:
2 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
3 Rest in Peace
2 Stony Silence
3 Surgical Extraction
2 Anger of the Gods
2 Timely Reinforcements
1 Kolaghan's Command

My main concern is with the manabase. It's been playing mostly okay except when they go turn 1 blood moon but 17/17/14 white/black/red sources doesn't seem like enough for Brimaz and the Kalitas/Anger out of the SB. Is it actually just fine? 23 lands seems right with 22 being not enough and 24 being too many for a curve that effectively stops at 3, even though I'm happy at 5-6 mana because of Soulfire, Vents and flashing back Souls in the same turn as other things.
>>
>>50498542
I would never do what he's talking about at FNM but at Competitive REL you really should know stuff like that.
>>
>>50498747
Pauper thread up, let's see how far it goes.

23 is what I'd use anyway, 22 always seems to fuck me and 24 always seems to flood me, but I'm sure there's some small confirmation bias going on
>>
>>50498747
1 mire, not 2. My bad.
Should I add a second mire?
Should I go 12 fetches, more basics and side blood moon? I have a lot of WB cards.
>>
>>50483947
Jund
Dredge, Tron
1-3. Somehow beat Eldrazi round 1, lost to Dredge, the mirror against a less experienced player and Bant spirits
I'm not good enough to play in anything higher than FNM
Just one
Affinity opponent, kill his guy end of turn 2, untap, maelstrom pulse his two Springleaf Drums. End of my turn he has to sacrifice his two Glimmervoids, the only other permanents he has in play.
>>
>>50498895
How did you lose the mirror?
not trying to be a prick, did you keep bad hands? Were you throwing away the game because you were cocky?
>>
>>50498919
I don't remember exactly how game 1 went, I think in both games I just didn't draw any removal and he had it all. I didn't know he was less experienced at the time. I might have kept a greedy hand in game two because I had no green source but I had Bob. He turn 1 discard spells me into turn 4 crumble to dust on my black cleave cliffs, which seems like such an insane thing to bring in in the mirror. He was playing more of a Big Jund deck though, I'm playing more of the aggro version so it's not exactly even.
>>
>>50498958
>Crumble to Dust
I suppose you could hit Ravine but there are better 4 CMC cards that are good in the Jund/K mirror, like Olivia.

I'd play Olivia but I've been playing the Abzan list with Thalias and Anafenza's I posted a while ago.
>>
>>50498991
Right? And keeping in discard is fucking ridiculous, like sure it's good in exactly the scenario that happened but if you top deck it late game it's pretty much a dead draw. But what do I know, the only time I ever win is because I got lucky, not because I'm actually good at this game. For fuck's sake I rode that wave to top 4 of a local tournament which I guess gave me the false sense of confidence to actually start playing more.
>>
>>50499027
Discard isn't awful in the mirror but literally everything else in the main deck is better than discard, unless he has garbage that's worse than discard.

How do you side for jund mirrors?
>>
>>50499353
-4 Inquisition
-2 Thoughtseize
+1 Liliana the Last Hope
+2 Kitchen Finks
+1 Terminate
+1 Pulse
The last slot changes depending on what else I have in my board. Lately it's been the 4th LotV because I don't play 4 main
>>
Why don't they reprint Counterspell in the next Modern Masters?
>>
>>50501280
That wouldn't make it legal
>>
>>50501387
The implication is that it would.
>>
>>50501280
Why would they?
>>
What do we think of this as a pasta? Anything to change/add?

Welcome to $$$ Competitive $$$ Modern $$$ General $$$
We expect you to already know how to play. We can't stop you from posting shit decks but you'll get flack for it.

__________ Edition
Questions of the Thread
>
>
>

RESOURCES
>Current Modern Metagame
http://mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>Gatherer

READINGS
>How many sources of each color do you need?
http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/frank-analysis-how-many-colored-mana-sources-do-you-need-to-consistently-cast-your-spells/

Common Modern - Decks You Should Prepare to Face
>Infect
>Dredge
>Jund
>Junk / Abzan
>Burn (Nacatl+Atarka's Command and RW variants)
>Bant Eldrazi
>GR Tron (GW Tron is the same deck, shut up)
>Affinity

Uncommon Modern - Decks You Should Know About
>Lantern Control
>UR Battle Rage / Suicide Bloo
>Death's Shadow / Suicide Zoo
>R/G Through the Breach (Valakut Titan)
>Scapeshift
>Sun&Moon (RW land destruction/prison)
>Death&Taxes
>Eldrazi&Taxes
>Grixis Delver
>Grixis Control
>Jeskai Control
>Jeskai Nahiri
>Ad Nauseam
>Merfolk

Rare Modern - Decks You May See On Occasion
>Martyr of Sands
>Amulet Titan
>Bant Retreat
>8-Rack
>Bant Spirits
>Abzan Company
>Esper Control
>Elves
>WB Tokens
>Mardu Tokens/midrange
>Mardu Nahiri
>Mono U Tron
>RUG Delver (Monkey Grow)
>Jeskai Mantis Rider.mutagenicgrowth

Mythic Modern -Decks You'll See Once a Year
>Skred
>Kiki Chord
>Allies
>Bogles (GW Hexproof)
>Soul Sisters
>Grishoalbrand
>Living End
>Knightfall
>Goblins
>Mono G Stompy
>BG Infect
>last year's tier 1 standard deck
>>
>>50501747
forgot gatherer link, oops.
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Default.aspx
>>
>>50501747
>>50501776
It looks fine, but your tier list is all retarded.
>Knightfall AND "Bant Retreat"
>most of the mythic decks are more common than the rare ones
>>
>have two modern decks that I like (burn and infect)
>too broke to go to any events
>friends suggest that I sell one of them
Wat do
>>
>>50502011
Well where do things belong?
>>
>>50501747
I really fucking hate the tiers shit
I know youre copying legacy generals but it triggers me so fucking hard
>>
>>50502491
well what do you want for a general pasta?
>people criticizing
>people not offering solutions
4 C H A N
>>
>>50502505
Tell people that this is neither a casual thread nor a thread for beginners
Also suck my dick
>>
>>50502258
>Jund
>Bant Eldrazi
>Infect
>Affinity
>Dredge
>Burn
>Gx Tron

>Junk
>Merfolk
>Jeskai Nahiri
>Suicide Zoo (DeathsShadow.dck)
>Suicide Bloo (KilnFiend.dck)
>GR Breach Titan
>GR Scapeshift
>Eldrazi & Taxes
>Grixis Delver
>Grixis Control
>Ad Nauseam
>Abzan Company

>Blue Moon
>Lantern Control
>Jeskai Control
>Death & Taxes
>Jeskai Midrange
>RUG Scapeshift/BtL Scapeshift
>RW Prison
>RG Ponza
>Skred
>8-Rack
>Bant Spirits
>Elves
>WB Tokens
>Mardu Nahiri
>Esper Control
>RUG Delver
>Soul Sisters
>Bogles
>Grishoalbrand
>Living End
>Knightfall
>Goblins/8-Whack
>Kiki Chord
>Pryomancer's Ascension
>Faeries

Mythic Modern - Decks You'll See Once a Year
>Esper Teachings
>Grixis Cruel Control
>Timewalks
>Ux Tron
>Martyr-Proc
>Amulet Titan
>Allies
>5C Humans
>Mono G Stompy
>Bx Infect
>Green's Sun's Zenith
>Jeskai Ascendancy
>Angel Moon
>Ritual Gifts

If anybody plays a memedeck that I missed, tell me and I'll add it to the list.
>>
>>50501747
>>50501776
>linking Gatherer and not the infinitely superior magiccards.info
>>
>>50502620
>Trying to transform this into legacy general
Next thing is wanting to bring the namefags and tripfags to ruin this general too
>>
Anyone have anything else to add?
>>50502620 has a better list of decks

Welcome to $$$ Competitive $$$ Modern $$$ General $$$
This is not a casual thread. This is not a thread for beginners. We expect you to already know how to play. There are plenty of articles and videos on how to play and how to git gud.

__________ Edition
Questions of the Thread
>
>
>

RESOURCES
>Current Modern Metagame
http://mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES
magiccards.info
gatherer.wizards.com

READINGS
>How many sources of each color do you need?
http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/frank-analysis-how-many-colored-mana-sources-do-you-need-to-consistently-cast-your-spells/

>Jund
>Bant Eldrazi
>Infect
>Affinity
>Dredge
>Burn
>Gx Tron

>Junk
>Merfolk
>Jeskai Nahiri
>Suicide Zoo (DeathsShadow.dek)
>Suicide Bloo (KilnFiend.dek)
>GR Breach Titan
>GR Scapeshift
>Eldrazi & Taxes
>Grixis Delver
>Grixis Control
>Ad Nauseam
>Abzan Company

>Blue Moon
>Lantern Control
>Jeskai Control
>Death & Taxes
>Jeskai Midrange
>RUG Scapeshift/BtL Scapeshift
>RW Prison
>RG Ponza
>Skred
>8-Rack
>Bant Spirits
>Elves
>WB Tokens
>Mardu Nahiri
>Esper Control
>RUG Delver
>Soul Sisters
>Bogles
>Grishoalbrand
>Living End
>Knightfall
>Goblins/8-Whack
>Kiki Chord
>Pryomancer's Ascension
>Faeries

Mythic Modern - Decks You'll See Once a Year
>Esper Teachings
>Grixis Cruel Control
>Timewalks
>Ux Tron
>Martyr-Proc
>Amulet Titan
>Allies
>5C Humans
>Mono G Stompy
>Bx Infect
>Green's Sun's Zenith
>Jeskai Ascendancy
>Angel Moon
>Ritual Gifts
>Someone playing last year's standard deck
>>
How do you guys feel about Grixis Delver in the current meta? Recently I have been feeling that in such a fast/aggro meta it is just a bit too slow. I'm considering temporarily transitioning to UR Delver to speed up and keep up with the current meta.
>>
>>50503022
You're probably right, but grixis is more fun.
>>
>>50503022
Grixis delver can never beat any blood moon deck and UR delver can never beat deaths shadow, so pick your poison really
>>
>>50503022
Grixis is pretty good but Delver is not modern playable
>>
>>50502944
>Angel moon
Spicy
>>
>>50503169
yeah, gonna need a link for that.
>>
>Ultimate Guard flip tray deckbox
>and 3 packs of Modern Master 2015
>for $33

I don't have a deckbox so I'm already down to buy one, but what's the chance I actually get something good from MM2015?
>>
>>50503406
Probably worse than winning the lotto desu
>>
>>50501688
to Make Control Great Again
>>
>>50503406
where are you getting this from?
>>
>>50504040
I fucking love gambling tho

>>50504566
Massdrop
>>
>>50502491
Fuck off. I was the one started the Legacy pasta and I straight up stole it from the Modern OPs at the time. You wanna talk about triggered?
>>
>>50504965
Nope. Never once did the modern general have the clusterfuck decks you may see section
>>
>>50505384
Yep. Its called a tier list
>>
>>50483947
Soul Sisters. I think once I realize it's a trash deck I'm just gonna turn it into tokens.
That one weird quiet dude that has some random deck and just plays cards without saying what he's doing or how he's moving through phases.
0-4 cause I'm garbage
Can't go FNM tonight so I guess next Friday.
Soul Sisters
For Modern, none. For EDH too many to keep track.
Back when I played my shitty affinity deck (no mox opals or arcbounds) I made a few older gentlemen scoop by just playing cranial plating. People get pretty tilted at my lgs.
>>
>>50483947
Ad nauseam variant

infect

don't know

Ad nauseam

Responding to lethal with angel's grace 3 turns in a row, end of his turn the third time saying fuck it and blind spoils of the vault, pact of negation his negate twice, pull ad nauseam as 2nd card off top, play it and win.
>>
File: IMG_6609.jpg (1MB, 1136x852px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6609.jpg
1MB, 1136x852px
Playing this right now. 24 lands.
>>
>>50502944
some more rare/mythic:

bushwhacker zoo/GR zoo
GW enchantments
hulk footsteps
duskmantle mindcrank
mono U delver
eggs
cheerios
UB mill
mono-red prison/free wins red/turbo moons
spellweaver combo was a meme a few months ago
>>
>>50506567
I assume you run celestial colonnades? How big is Sphinx's Revelation when you cast it
>>
>>50506567
>ONLY 24 lands
>4 Remands
>3 Detention Spheres
>>
>>50506567
Needs man lands
>>
>>50503398
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/instant-deck-tech-angel-moon
Found this but i think the list can be improved a lot, maybe with anger of gods, bolt, ghostly prision, etc.
>>
File: 122.jpg (72KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
122.jpg
72KB, 312x445px
And they said Wizards doesn't care about Modern. Madcap into Emperion is the greatest stabilizer and secondary win condition for control and combo decks ever.
>>
>>50483947
> tooth and nail

>land destruction/eldrazi

> have not been able to go recently

> dont really go to big tourneys

> 0

> t2 blood moon, t3 choke against control
>>
>>50502620
WHERE ARE THE SLIVERS?
>>
>>50507649
>terminate
>path
>k command
>ancient grudge
The list goes on.
Hell, you can just bounce it
>>
>>50507816
Other than Path and K Command, Madcap hate is pretty low on mainboard. If they sideboard into fewer than 6 you're still probably buying advantage via mulligans and extra turns. And once an Emperion is out, Stubborn Denial and Swan Song take on a whole new power level.
>>
>>50507872
And also, control decks can usually sb out Madcap and Emperion while the opponent is making compromises putting in countermeasures.
>>
>>50507872
Decks that run K Command run more copies of Terminate in their maindeck.
Plus, affinity is one of the most hated out decks in the format. People will bring in enough to deal with Platinum Emperion.
>>
>>50483947
2-slow-4-modern Gruul, currently building proper Gruul.

WU Flash. Nothing in Modern is as annoying as that deck is in the current Standard.

Standard didn't fire, played 2 matches of multiplier standard (4 players). Infinite Thopter beat RG Hydras, Vampire Tribal, and Delerium twice.

2-1 against a BW token deck that was brewed on the spot. Mana curve was way too high.
1-2 against Eldrazi blink-tap
0-2 against GW midrange?

>0
>>
>>50508028
Your trip?
>>
Move over memeboys I've got a real shitbrew incoming

>>50508044
not only that I forgot my fucking pic please rape my asshole
>>
>>50508028
>>50508056
Don't you have some tiny tominos to shitpost about instead
>>
File: madcap bullshit.png (8KB, 298x681px) Image search: [Google]
madcap bullshit.png
8KB, 298x681px
>>50508056
and that was the wrong version... the one without the basics.
No more drinking for me tonight.

>>50508068
tiny tominos died over two years ago nerd, get with the times
>>
>tfw running windows 7 on VB on a mac just so I can play modo
If I willingly did this much work anything else in my life I swear i'd be a rich man
>>
>>50505384
Isn't that exactly what tier lists are though?

>>50507649
Eh still seems like jank to me. I'll wait till it gets played more than a couple of months and starts putting up serious results
>>
>>50502620
>no Azorious Titan

I might be the only one still playing it to be fair
>>
>>50507566
>4 baneslayers
I need to play this.
>>
>>50487369
They'll probably have the M15 border as well, because of machine reading.
>>
>>50507649
bump for decent but probably not greatest ever
whenever an emperion has landed across from me i've cantripped into a terminate and killed it the next turn or blocked it with elemental tokens forever until i drew terminate. on grixis delver, i'm frankly more afraid of batterskull
>>
>>50507215
>>50506971
I have colonnades.
>>
>>50507994
>proper Gruul
Soo atarka 8 goblins?
>>
>>50512013
1-2 drop Zoo.
>>
>>50502620
Lantern Control is the 8th most played deck.
>>
>>50512812
fug lantern
ban opal
>>
File: 404.jpg (22KB, 423x256px) Image search: [Google]
404.jpg
22KB, 423x256px
>>50512995
>beatdown tears
>>
>>50512812
what the fuck when did this happen
>>
>>50513012
When the meta turned into nothing but yolo creature combo kills by turn 3 with no interaction and the printing of Glint-Nest Crane (essentially Intuition for the deck, almost as good as Stirrings #5 and #6) and the BG fastland.
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern/full#online
>>
>mono black control will never be viable
why can't it be green stompy or skred tier
>>
>>50513145
8rack is viable, it has top8d an SCG open and WMCQs.
>>
>>50513169
yeah but i want a deck that plays obliterator or demigod of revenge
>>
>>50513210
Then you might want to stick to kitchen table. Obliterater gets patched, and demigod is fucked by RiP
>>
>>50513240
Alright maybe demigod isn't that good, but obliterator is a pretty strong guy for you. Sure it dies to removal, but a)you're playing the color of discard and b)your opponent will not always have removal ready.
>>
>>50513298
Even if he doesn't it's still just a 5/5 beater for 4, which is fucking slow.
>>
Anyone have a temur tempoish deck?

I saw someone playing it. It had the following

Goyfs
Snapcaster Mage
Savage Knuckleblade
Huntmaster of the Fells
Lightning Bolt
Dispel
Mana Leak
RUG colored fetches, shocks and basics.
>>
>>50513447
Did it have Delvers? Lots of spells? It was probably RUG Delver.
>>
>>50513298
Obliterater isn't very strong though. It doesn't pass the vanilla test, and while he can't be efficiently chumped, no trample means that 5 power is kinda pointless. I would rather play a meme rhino then an obliterater.

Also just looked up it's price. Holy shit 30 dollars for a fucking casual card. Report t in MM3?
>>
File: Phyrexian Obliterator.jpg (66KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
Phyrexian Obliterator.jpg
66KB, 312x445px
>>50513554
But it does have trample?...
Unless I forgot how to read.

It's not a great card because most decks can completely ignore it and win before it hits you 4 times.

Meme Rhino is much better because you're playing Junk, which is a better deck than anything that's trying to cast a 5/5 for BBBB
>>
>>50513554
>>50513415
Yeah well, there are no other reasons to play mono B except for him. Or I guess geralf's messenger counts as well.
>>
File: 1428043857.jpg (112KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1428043857.jpg
112KB, 1280x720px
>>50513636
>>
>>50513636
I think the only reason to play mono black is because you're playing mono black devotion from standard which isn't a good modern deck or you're playing 8rack
>>
Is there anything spicy to flashback with Torrential Gearhulk besides Cryptic?
>>
>>50514333
Esper Charm
Jaces's Ingenuity
>>
>>50513590
>trample
Nay, I'm drunk yard

>>50514333
Cruel ultimatum
>>
File: Cover.jpg (43KB, 490x490px) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
43KB, 490x490px
I need advice to make drafting a less frustrating experience. There are basically only two different scenarios and they're both shitty. In one instance, I build and play a good, consistent deck that I just never seem to shuffle properly. Meanwhile, my opponents have complete piles of garbage with one bomb that they draw literally every game, no mulligans.
Or I go the risky route and build an inconsistent deck with probably 15 lands. I seem to have an equal chance of placing with this type of build, despite all the logic that should give me worse odds.
It's so annoying it almost makes me think I should just pass bomb cards. It's not like I would ever draw them if I put them in my deck anyway.
Any help would be appreciated
>>
>>50514333

Consume the meek
>>
>>50514333
Literally anything you want to flashback with Snap.

Bolt
Path
Helix
Terminate
Thought Scour
counterspells
all of the guild charms
all of the wedge/shard charms
all of the Dragonlords' commands
>>
>>50513447
What are the Mardu and Sultai cards in the Meme Rhino, Savage Knuckleblade, Mantis Rider cycle?
>>
>>50514753
it didn't get anything good, that's why those are the 2 worst/least played 3 color combinations in modern
>>
Lantern BTFO
>>
>>50514753
Butcher of the horde/ankle shanker and kheru Lich Lord. It was not a balanced cycle
>>
>>50514850
That cycle is not at all why those. colour combos are not played in Modern. Plus your forgetting Esper
>>
>>50514753
I talk shit about Frontier like everyone else here, but honestly, I really liked Khans/Theros standard, and wish I got to play with Knuckleblade. That card is so fucking good.
>>
>>50515001
You could just build around it, you know. 4 Knucks, bolts, birds, a. visions, s. visions, rift bolt/pyroclastic, maybe delver, remand, and hooting mandrills. Honestly why isn't he played? Too slow?
>>
>>50514333
Disappearing Act
>>
>>50515072
Ehh, ends upeing a 4/4 with haste for 4, which is just ok. .
>>
File: tarmogoyf.jpg (87KB, 480x680px) Image search: [Google]
tarmogoyf.jpg
87KB, 480x680px
>>50515072
>Honestly why isn't he played?
>>
Bumping for SCG shitposting.
>>
>>50515676
I've looked at Tarmogoyf's art a million times and I still cant tell what the fuck I'm looking at.
>>
>>50516392
If you find a higher res scan you'll see that it still makes no fucking sense.
>>
>>50516392
>>50516437
It's the goyf erupting from the ground and grabbing the guy in one of its arms. It's head is in the centre of the frame and is twisted a bit.
>>
>>50515072
I played against this >>50513447
It was pretty cool. Couldn't come up with a list. My guess would be something like this. I have no idea how accurate this is to that guy's list.

3 snapcaster
3 scavenging ooze
4 goyf
4 knuckleblade
3 hooting mandrills
2 huntmaster

4 bolt
4 serum visions
3 thought scour
2 dispel
2 spell snare
3 mana leak

4 misty rainforest
3 wooded foothills
3 scalding tarn
2 breeding pool
2 stomping ground
2 steam vents
2 forest
2 island
1 mountain
2 lumbering falls
>>
>>50516392
Don't you know a Lhurgoyf when you see one?
>>
I like aggro decks. I like synergistic decks with low variance. Right now i'm playing Elves, but it feels shit-tier.

Should I just make a switch to Merfolk?
>>
Anyone got any spicy Esper control lists?
>>
>>50516914
play burn
it's a combo deck where you're usually trying to combine 2 and 3 point burn spells to equal somewhere between 15-20.

>>50516945
3 semen visions
3 inquisition
3 thoughtseize
4 path
2 blessed alliance
4 esper charm
3 supreme verdict

3 snapcaster
4 lingering souls
1 BFZ gideon
3 narset transcendent
2 gideon jura

3 flooded strand
3 marsh flats
2 polluted delta
2 hallowed fountain
2 godless shrine
1 watery grave
2 island
2 plains
1 swamp
1 glacial fortress
1 isolated chapel
3 colonnade
2 ghost quarter

SB
1 blessed alliance
1 celestial purge
1 disenchant
2 RIP
1 theros elspeth
3 negate
2 surgical extraction
1 extirpate
1 thoughtseize
1 supreme verdict
1 engineered explosives

Some podcast put an image in their show notes. I don't remember which one, I just screencapped it. not even sorry
>>
>>50517151
lol that list is the old version of a players list from UWx facebook group.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/510755#paper

It's a good list, but a steep learning curve.
>>
>>50517151
Fuck Esper charm. Card does not do enough to warrant getting played. Just run cliques instead. Fuck even bitter blossom should be run over it. Though for vest result run 4 AV
>>
>>50517331
>comparing instant speed mindrot clique and AV

what the fuck
>>
>>50517382
If you're running Esper charm just for the discard, you should be running duress instead. Just because a card hits all your colours doesn't mean you should run it. Junk doesn't replay abzan charm, does it
>>
>>50517331
esper charm is a ridiculous card in esper control. you just haven't played the card/the deck enoguh
>>
File: CkLcNgQUoAESINr.jpg (120KB, 781x923px) Image search: [Google]
CkLcNgQUoAESINr.jpg
120KB, 781x923px
>>50517500
>Narset -2
>esper charm
>next turn
>esper charm for free
>their end step
>snap charm

feels good man.
>>
>>50517585
Who is this lewd leech?
>>
File: 56222236_p0.png (516KB, 1400x1400px) Image search: [Google]
56222236_p0.png
516KB, 1400x1400px
>>50517606
Toga from boku no hero academia
>>
>>50517151
>>50517206
Could you run monastery mentor and some tasigurs or is that too many creatures
>>
>>50517585
Doesn't rebound exile the spell? So you wouldn't be able to snap Esper charm
>>
>>50517577
No it's not, and oooh yes I have. Esper charm only nets you +1 card advantage on the draw/discard options (enchantment destuction doesnt even matter), and for 3 mana you have better options. Like ripping their best card out of their hand and getting a boots on the ground, insteas of making them bin their two shittiest cards. Not only that but with dredge, you dont want to be making them discard, and drawing two cards for three mana is a joke in modern. Esper charm is outdated tech, and needs to go away
>>50517585
>"Look guys! If I use two mediocre cards together, they make a good thing!"
>>
What are the odds wizards is going to allow non-creature decks to exist in modern? They are already starting to become less relevant in Legacy.

Can we please stop this cancer?
>>
>>50517715
Rebound exiles it the first time, goes to the yard after the second time
>>
File: dfg41546.jpg (173KB, 642x1000px) Image search: [Google]
dfg41546.jpg
173KB, 642x1000px
>>50517686
Nope!

You run tons of sweepers, so all of your threats need to be non creatures. Geist is by far the best creature for the deck, and probably should be shoved in somewhere.
>>
>>50517747
Almost zero. It's not fun! Now buy some Oath of the Gatewatch packs so you can open up some modern playable eldrazi!
>>
>>50517722
The deck folds hard G1 against dredge, but double surgical, extripates, runed halo in the board makes G2 winnable every once in a while.
>>
>>50517658
The sloppy froppy thing? I might actually check it out eventually...
>>
File: ba181f40840b5d39d80963e2f25309b0.jpg (505KB, 3272x3804px) Image search: [Google]
ba181f40840b5d39d80963e2f25309b0.jpg
505KB, 3272x3804px
>>50517835
There's some good waifu material in it and it's half decent. Pretty fun series overall.
>>
>>50517747
Ad nauseam and scapeshift already exist in modern
>>
>>50517827
Dude, trust me. Take it out for a while, try some other stuff. Try out AV or even sphinxes Rev. Also at this point I just main board RiP. Helps with the goyfs too
>>
>>50517929
>Mainboard RIP
Why? The deck shits on midrange as it is. the Junk/Jund MU is about 60/40, some others say it's 70/30, but I don't buy that.

AV might be an alright option. It would be pretty fucking cool if you could rebound it.

I think the issue with the deck is T2 play. You got nothing really. You wanna hit your discard T1, then I guess hold up path T2? then maybe T3 charm or souls depending on the MU. Dunno, I'm pretty awful with sequencing with the deck.

Here's the FB group, the people are nice and helpful so I feel obliged to try the deck out for them.

facebook com/groups/TeamTranscendent/
>>
>>50517762
Darn, I was hoping to go for something more tokens/creatures based but now I don't know which I'd like more

I suppose I can just get the mana base/spells and play around with both
>>
>>50518115
You can probably work in mentor, but that'd be a pretty different build. The point is to not make yourself open to removal.
>>
>>50518186
You may as well do esper tokens if you want to play cantrips and mentor.
you get the following
>cantrips
>discard
>bob
>mentor
>all the token cards
>doom blade
>>
>>50518251
>>50518186
I'm also the guy who was playing around with the mardu tokens list
I might try esper. I lose bolt, helix, YP, terminate, KCommand but gain... cantrips
>>
>>50517911
I know those are the only two decks I play. But they are not the most competitive.

Do you not notice the power creep?

>>50517787
>Its not fun
I keep forgetting this game makes money mostly from kids
>>
If they reprint Gideon Jura can they make his abilites
>+2
>0
>-2
instead of the 0 at the bottom?
>>
>>50518302
there's a
+1
>>
>>50518186
What about flip Jace? Or Sorin, solemn visitor for the token pump
>>
Daily reminder that fun is not allowed in mtg and if you are having fun your deck will probably get banned.
>>
>>50518401
Gideon is a bit better than sorin in this build. I think Jace fits really well, haven't tested him yet though.
>>
File: 58506775_p0.jpg (65KB, 608x830px) Image search: [Google]
58506775_p0.jpg
65KB, 608x830px
Anyone wanna help work on a deck for /mtg/?
>>
>>50518081
>fb groups
yeah nah
>>
>>50518277
esper tokens is worse than mardu tokens.
not that mardu tokens is good
>>
>>50517206
So you just play normal control for the first few turns until Narset comes down, then rebound things for YUGE value?
>>
>>50518821
Pretty much. Getting 6 souls off one card is pretty value.
>>
>>50518901
what spell do you usually rebound the most?
>>
>>50519019
Souls and charm. One time i did extirpate which was neat.
>>
Is there a way to filter posts that include "Mardu" and "Esper?"
>>
>>50519302
No, now let me tell you about my 4c Mardu-Esper deck.
It runs 4 esper charms and 4 butcher of the horde. My best record at FNM is 0-3-1.
>>
>>50518602
format?
colors?
archetype?
gotta give us some info
>>
>>50519302
But don't you wanna hear about my Mardu Mooncap brew?
>>
>>50519302
t. jund player who is salty after losing to tempo Mardu and Esper Control
>>
>>50519543
Those colour combos are shit bruh
>>
How does rebound work with ancestral visions
>>
So what's you guys' favorite shit-brew deck that you want to make good?

Mine is Bant Eternal Gifts. I know it's clunky, but the idea of fetching up:

>Eternal Witness
>Torrential Gearhulk
>Snapcaster Mage
and
>Bant Charm

To get utility just seems like a blast.
>>
>>50519442
Obviously modern

I think we should go mardu or esper :^)
>>
>>50520719
That sounds terrible. I don't see the appeal of the hulk either. Sure it has a bigger body after casting a spell but the utility of snap costing 2cmc is leaps better
>>
>>50520719
>Bant
>Not having new tamiyo
It's almost as if you didn't like the dankest memes
>>
File: 9luQXl.jpg (60KB, 486x640px) Image search: [Google]
9luQXl.jpg
60KB, 486x640px
Questions/survey for you all.

>Do you watch streams on twitch?

>Do you watch magic streams on twitch?

>If so, what formats?

>Would you be interested in watching a personal online play (read: rated xMage) stream?

Asking because I've been starting to stream and don't really know how to build an audience. I sorta just want people to watch me play modern and tell me I'm shit. etc. I don't think I'm too bad but I'd like to improve.
>>
>>50521117
Well let me know your twitch shit and I'll check out your stream and I promise to try to not shitposting took much
>>
File: 1467434356905.jpg (53KB, 512x368px) Image search: [Google]
1467434356905.jpg
53KB, 512x368px
>>50521117
>>Do you watch streams on twitch?
No
>>Do you watch magic streams on twitch?
No
>>If so, what formats?
>>Would you be interested in watching a personal online play (read: rated xMage) stream?
No

Watching someone play magic is extremly boring, stream something exciting
>>
File: 1470819781057.png (1MB, 1587x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1470819781057.png
1MB, 1587x1600px
>>50521141
I apologize for dropping my link but my twitch ID is xaltairis.
I haven't streamed in a couple of weeks, so nothing exciting to see.
>>
>>50521247
As long as you don't stream shit ass budget brews I'll watch and shit post and throw some pog champs.

are you watching capcup?
>>
File: 100 rad.gif (688KB, 159x144px) Image search: [Google]
100 rad.gif
688KB, 159x144px
>>50521309
Because of the spam filter I can't post links but if you want to know about my stream just go to twitch -> xaltairis -> profile or some shit. I say what deck i play and everything

>capcup
Sorta, I personally don't play street fighter but I know some people loosely in the marvel v capcom scene so I like watching that.
>>
File: 58049979_p1.jpg (463KB, 2100x2970px) Image search: [Google]
58049979_p1.jpg
463KB, 2100x2970px
>>50521360
Yeah, saw the bb stuff in your twitter lmao.
>>
File: 45322178_p42_master1200.jpg (126KB, 600x553px) Image search: [Google]
45322178_p42_master1200.jpg
126KB, 600x553px
>>50521460
oh. you saw my autism spree. whoops, sorry

for something more on topic, do you guys think Become Immense is actually gonna get banned?
>>
>>50521589
Very doubtful
>>
>>50521589
I think Blossoming Defense is hinting that something is going to get banned from linear green aggro decks.

Not sure if it's Become Immense.
>>
>>50521589
I'd rather ban Mutagenic, but I'm doubtful of any infect bans
>>
>>50521589
Very doubtful. Infect's results between the last B&R announcement and now are pretty much the same as between the last and the one before it. I can see an argument for dredge since it got a decent card in cathartic reunion, but I doubt they'll ban anything from dredge either.
>>
File: 6SaOF4l.png (274KB, 500x380px) Image search: [Google]
6SaOF4l.png
274KB, 500x380px
>>50521636
>ban mutagenic
why? just curious

>>50521684
i hope so, but only because I'm lazy as fuck and dont wanna change my decklists around.
>>
>>50521690
I just think it's a larger problem card than Become Immense, both cards are stupid but it's mutagenic that enables turn 2 nut kills
>>
>>50521807
>turn 2 kills
But this is something that happens once every 10000 games. It's like saying ban melira because it allows turn 3 natural infinite combo in abzan.
>>
>>50517929
>Try out AV or even sphinxes Rev
Rev is only a worthwhile finisher if you've been making land drops consistently all game, which the card draw from Esper Charm allows you to do. The two don't compete for the same slots, they actually work better when you run both.
>>
>>50521684
>Infect results still the same
Except it gained more tools, meta-share and is now widely considered to be the best deck in the format.
>>
I normally play standard but a buddy of mine was willing to let me borrow a Modern deck for a tournament tonight

never playing this horrible format again
took 5th place after losing to affinity twice in a row to keep me out of top 4

I don't think I could really contrive something that is less fun to play against than the affinity and infect decks

have fun with your horrible format
I think I'm gonna try to convince my store to pick up the meme format of frontier
>>
>>50522911
This is bait
>>
>>50522911
Git gud scrub
>>
>>50521117
All no, I play dredge legacy and prossh commander for fast games, I don't want to watch some jackass play storm and say "sorry" when he has to calculate every fucking turn for 10 minutes.
>>
>>50521117
Just stick to playing vidya, appeal to an audience that doesn't get much attention and have high production quality.
>>
>>50501747
Wtf is that mythic list? Where I play, Soulsisters, Boggles, Knightfall, and Goblins show up weekly.
>>
>>50522911
>I think I'm gonna try to convince my store to pick up the meme format of frontier
kill yourself
>>
>>50522894
It still only has about 7-8% meta share at any given time. It does look bad that it got 3 copies in the top 8 of the last gp, but then it got btfo by control decks which doesn't really say to wizards that its an unstoppable meta destroyer. The only reason to ban it would be the turn 4 rule, but it hasn't been banned for that yet so it probably won't happen. Wizards doesn't ban turn 4 rule violators that can die to lightning bolt.
>>
Burn. Comfiest deck in the format

Fish. Literally never have fun playing against it. I don't mind bad matchups, but this one is just downright disheartening and unpleasent.

Haven't been in like 3 months, couldn't tell ya

Next time a GP or PTQ rolls around

Burn, unless I finish Jund in time

None, sold my collection to get the two modern decks I want.

Turn 3 kills. They feel so dirty since this deck has so many ways to do it.
>>
>>50518326
That's why the +2, -2, 0 Gideon bothers me.
>>
>>50520719
Mardu Tokens
The deck is really fun on paper but it just falls apart to anything doing anything.
>>
>>50520719
I love standard as fuck Zoo decks, but they're just not good right now.

I had an idea of replacing Hierarchs with Goblin Guides for extra speed and spice but it was mediocre at best.
>>
>>50523978
How does it feel to live in a scrub meta?
>>
Guys everyone is talking about goblin guide and lightning bolt

What if we put all the cards like them in the same deck. Lava spike, searing blaze, monastery swift spear. We can even splash white due to fetches and the new fast land for lightning helix and Boros charm.
>>
What decks beat skred/sunmoon at least 90% of the time?
>>
>>50525195
bigblue
>>
File: fun interactive magic.jpg (428KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
fun interactive magic.jpg
428KB, 1366x768px
>tfw on turn 3, dredge swings for 11 and threatens to untap with 17 power on board and conflagrate for 6
>tfw on turn 3 i draw 30 cards, gain 33 life and swing in for like 40 damage
wew is this how it felt playing amulet bloom?

>>50525195
no idea about sunmoon but skred is miserable vs U tron, AN. griselbrand, and enchantments, and 8 rack.
Thread posts: 334
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.