[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone else run into problems with their players not taking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: DreamworksFace3_8392.jpg (182KB, 350x392px) Image search: [Google]
DreamworksFace3_8392.jpg
182KB, 350x392px
Does anyone else run into problems with their players not taking the world of the game very seriously, even when circumstances are clearly calling for it?

I feel like no matter what is staring my players down - warlords everyone else is afraid of, aberrant creatures from another realm, drakes that have half-destroyed their city - everyone plays the game like its Joss Whedon's Avengers 2: Age of Quipping.

I've told the players to tone it back a bit but it never lasts more than a session. It always ends up back to players "hillariously" misremembering the names of important npcs or joking about how they fell asleep during exposition. I'm losing my fucking mind.
>>
>>50470929
Your friends just want to have fun being awesome and don't want to be enthralled by your epic story.

I know that sounds like I'm being an asshole, but it seems to be the truth. It's a hard pill for a lot of GMs to swallow, but you need to get over yourself and either resign yourself to running the game that your players want, find new players, or quit GMing.
>>
File: 1479449831445.jpg (238KB, 867x613px) Image search: [Google]
1479449831445.jpg
238KB, 867x613px
>>50470929
The players play to have fun and feel powerful, and besides that they'll never be as invested in your world as you are OP; don't freak out or try to change the way they play unless it's tremendously cancerous, just be happy they're having fun.
>>
>>50470929
Talk to them. Literally tell them what you just posted. They probably won't immediately improve, and you'll need to remind them. If they never improve, consider leaving.
By the way, a good way to immerse the players is to create atmosphere. Use some scenery images. Pick out some background music for tense moments. As someone who's been in a handful of horror campaigns, a disquieting atmosphere is much easier to create when playing at night.
>>
Buy a hat each of their character classes would wear.
I an not kidding, it makes it so much easier to get them in character when they feel that's the funnier option. In all but horror settings it lightens the mood but gets players invested in their characters.
>>
>>50470929
I remember outright telling my players with certain scenario to take it serious, or the story won't work at all.
They promised to take it for real, after which they've went back to their typical antics within 30 minutes.
The scenario obviously didn't work (it's hard to make a seedy investigation when everyone is cracing stupid inside jokes every 5 seconds) and the players were butthurt, but still are unable to admit it's mostly on their side, as they didn't keep the bargain.
>>
>>50470951

fpbp
>>
>>50471228

You and your players like different things. Either cope with doing it or cope with not doing it.
>>
>>50470929
I once created a massive and elaborately complex world with carefully thought out bad guys and intrigue. I was incredibly proud that it all fit together like clockwork. About the fourth adventure in that world. I killed an NPC in a really unpleasant way. My players set out along with her cuddly toy to utterly destroy my plot and everything else. Eight years later we are still having a blast in the same world. It works anon just enjoy.
>>
>>50470929

>>50472001
this
>>
>>50471083
>>50470951
this, people play games to have fun. Sometimes they have fun with an epic story, sometimes they are masochists and want to play tabletop darksouls, and sometimes they just want to laugh or be badasses. That's something every DM needs to learn

>players want to have fun
>>
>>50471170
explain the hat thing. You mean buying a real hat and making them wear it? how does that works?
>>
>>50472974
>>50471170

I'f I'm reading him right,it looks like he's saying that adding a goofy hat, and having the players play pretend while wearing it comes across as inherently silly, so the people just looking for laughs get what they came for, without having to resort to jokes and stuff?

Like, I guess they put on a wizard hat, talk in a gandalf voice and stuff, and that replaces the need to joke around in-character?
>>
>>50473993
I have over three thousand dollars worth of tabletop hats. Is this not the norm?
>>
>>50474059
No it is not but I am considering buying a viking helmet to wear when GM fantasy settings because your posts.
>>
>>50474059
Anon...I...I don't know what to say other than HELL NO IT IS NOT THE NORM
>>
>>50474097
>>50474104
Okay, that's ridiculous. Every good roleplayer has to at least dress up for the occasion.

I will admit the bucket helmet is hard to see in.
>>
>>50470929
Sorry you take your childish man baby hobby too seriously anon. Everyone else will continue to have light hearted fun with their friends in the real world.
>>
>>50470929

Didn't you post this thread before?

And get pretty much the same answers that time?
>>
>>50472974
Well, >>50473993 has a good point, but clothes in general have a very real effect on how you act and how you're percieved. A leather jacket has a feel of weight and security far in excess of the protection it provides. Pajamas are loose and allow you to sprawl any which way and get comfortable. You're certainly more likely to slouch in them than a suit.

Heavy helmet? Perish the thought of acrobatics. Floppy hat and bells? Feel the whimsy in simply shaking your head. Costumes and ceremonial dress aren't just for looks.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.