[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you describe unspeakable things? I'm running a Dark

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: UnspeakableHorror.jpg-c200.jpg (10KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
UnspeakableHorror.jpg-c200.jpg
10KB, 200x200px
How do you describe unspeakable things?

I'm running a Dark Heresy campaign, and we're starting to get into daemon country. I'm having a bit of trouble coming up with descriptions of beyond "foul, unspeakably horrific monster from the depths of hell" - I feel like I owe the players a bit more than that. How have you guys dealt with this?
>>
>>50468243
I'd pop open some Lovecraft and look over the kind of descriptions he used for his monsters.
>>
>>50468340
This. Beyond that, remember horror fundamentals - the monster is scarier the less you know, so try to keep that mystique and dread alive as long as possible.
>>
Alien as possible. As remote from their experience as possible, shapes similar to things but not identical, lots of descriptors of material property but only the vaguest of shapes.
>>
Synesthesia. Seriously, use descriptions that mix the five senses. VoilĂ !

Otherwise, Google a list of obscure adjectives that sound weird and kinda fucked up (try a medical dictionary or something). Inspiration!

Then, avoid "unspeakable". Describe the fucked up shit that you feel when you try and fail to look at it all at once, and focus on the individual parts that make sense individually if you force yourself not to look at the rest. The glint of a claw, the acidic ooze it leaves behind...
>>
>>50468562

I hadn't thought of that. Apart from describing the smell of an approaching Herald of Nurgle.
>>
File: Describing the Indescribable.png (74KB, 382x639px) Image search: [Google]
Describing the Indescribable.png
74KB, 382x639px
>>50468243
>>
>>50468243
The real horror is their live performances.
>>
>>50468982
This works well, but the most important bit of advice it leaves out is to never say what it is you're putting together. So if you pick octopus and toad, you'd never say that it looks like someone crossed an octopus and a toad. Instead you'd describe its bloated, corpulent body, with boneless flailing limbs and massive eyes that widen like gaping mouths. Describe the way its body bulges and contracts as it leaps and jets forward - and how its massive beak-like maw spreads impossibly wide as writhing slimy muscle surges forth and ensnares someone.
>>
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.