[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/dcg/ Dropzone/Dropfleet Commander General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 40

File: Daemon Bait.jpg (143KB, 738x637px) Image search: [Google]
Daemon Bait.jpg
143KB, 738x637px
/dcg/ Dropzone/Dropfleet Commander General

>Letting the thread die
edition

Last Thread:
>>50314633

>Hawk Wargames website, with links to models, rules, and forums
http://www.hawkwargames.com/

>DZC rules, units, errata, etc
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/3e69ovwksc27r/DZC#3e69ovwksc27r

>DZC Phase 2 Rules and Scenarios
http://www.mediafire.com/file/9o0mghzvf3gsnzg/Phase2-rulesScenarios.pdf
>DZC Phase 2 Units
http://www.mediafire.com/download/hjxrk1f2i0fv283/Phase2_units.pdf
>DZC Phase 2 Fluff
http://www.mediafire.com/download/novaydro2mxo074/Phase2-fluff.pdf

>Dropbox of rulebook pictures
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ci1w3beqaeu5nca/AADismn1gX0dYWShk45csdRca?dl=0

>free DZC army builders
http://www.dzc-ffor.com/
http://solomonder.com/scoldzap/

>DFC Rules and Scenarios
http://www.mediafire.com/file/li17bl14bute5ee/DFC_RulesScenarios.pdf
>DFC Units
http://www.mediafire.com/file/oa35v9pq7gfe1fs/DFC_Units.pdf
>DFC Fluff
http://www.mediafire.com/file/oysd2f64iytbd69/DFC_Fluff.pdf

>free DFC fleet builder
http://dflist.com/

>Where to order DFC from
http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/3951-dropfleet-commander
http://www.miniaturemarket.com/table-top-miniatures/dropfleet-commander.html
http://www.thewarstore.com/dropfleet-commander-preorder.html

>DFC Kickstarter, lots of useful information to drudge through
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hawkwargames/dropfleet-commander

Reminder to ignore bait, unless it is masterfully crafted.
>>
tfw you forget to bump the thread
>>
>>50445535
We keep this one alive.

So, Dropfleet is almost upon us. Question for everyone, how should the release schedule between dropfleet and dropzone be balanced? I was thinking we should get a first expansion out for dropfleet to give it some legs and after that try to do it pretty evenly. Any other suggestions?
>>
>>50445621
Agreed, DFC gets an expac, then DZC, then DFC, etc and so forth.
>>
>>50445665
Another question, should they try to keep the updates balanced like they have so far in dropzone (one update added resistance, the other adding nothing but new units to explore new spaces) or should we get a skew towards updates like phase 2? Not sure how much emphasis should be on that point and how much design space there is to explore there.
>>
>>50445890
iirc, Dave has hinted at there being a proper new faction, on par with the main four, with a maximum of 8 major factions possibly in the future.
>>
>>50446228
I guess my question was more how often should these new factions brought in? would people prefer them being rushed out or taking it slowly with lots of fluffing releases expanding introduced stuff. Obviously you want to release them in DFC at roughly the same time if that's applicable, but how much space should there be between those big faction releases? one year? two? should we have one expansion between them, 2? maybe alternating between one expansion on one side, 2 on the other with each major release?
>>
>>50446469
New product announced every 12 months, rolling out every six months in a Part 1, Part 2 setup. I would be fine with just an expansion book or a new ship or two on this schedule.
Say, new DZC stuff for the UCM in Part 1, then DFC UCM in Part 2. Or new DZC UCM in Part 1, new DZC Scourge in Part 2.

That would be a nice setup.
>>
Shaltari or PHR for 1st faction in Dropfleet?
>>
>>50447401
Whichever one you like more. If you're the type who finds pleasure in being a hipster, Shaltari are probably going to be on the bottom of popularity for a bit. On the other hand, PHR are so aesthetic that my inner hipster got overruled in spite of their apparently massive popularity.
>>
So the 3'x4' gaming posters they provide are both shit, and not big enough (default should be 4'x4') so I'm looking at the deepcutstudios mats...

Is this one the most aesthetic?
>>
>>50447909
I actually would prefer a deepspace one like this, but they only have it in weird sizes 4x6, 3x6, etc
>>
>>50447909

The deep cut maps are really nice. Shipping is murder though. I don't think anyone else has made maps yet for the game.
>>
File: enhancedtrilobite.jpg (57KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
enhancedtrilobite.jpg
57KB, 960x720px
Oh fuck this is pretty cool
>>
>>50448670
Where did that come from?

It looks like a kitbash from a land crab
>>
>>50449086
Looks to be an Oppressor/Desolator kitbash.
>>
>>50448670
Whatever the hell it is, I like it. Early battleship conversion, maybe? Although the dual prow makes me think dreadnought conversion.
>>
>>50450079
Was on the FB group, I think it's supposed to be a BS conversion, probably whatever the one that doesn't have the torps is.
>>
I'm reading thru rulebook, and I see that some ships (almost all shaltari) have normal save and pasive countermeasures (which seem to be inv save against crits). On every model it says 5+/4+.
Does it mean that ship have 5+ on regular damage, and 4+ on crits? Because that sounds retarded.

And If I'm using PD to stop close action attack, I have to use that 5+ hull save on regular hits that pass? And I can't use 4+ crit save because I used PD?
>>
>>50450426
The two values are for shields down and shields up.

Putting shields up nullifies crits and lets you use the second armour value, but also makes you use the second signature value and doesn't let you use your PD (fighters still work though). There's more information on the stuff on the Shaltari-specific rules pages. The stuff about crits using different armour values is just future proofing, for Shaltari they just count as normal hits.
>>
>>50450426
Basically, the way the shaltari work is that at the start of each battlegroup activation, as well as picking what order is going to be used, you choose shields up or shields down. If you pick shields down, the shields are down- you use the smaller sig value, you get PD against bombers and CA attacks, you do not get to save against crits, and you use your armour save.

If you pick shields up, then until their next activation the ships use the larger sig value, have no PD beyond fighter PD, can save vs crits, and use the shield save value for all saves.
>>
>>50450492
>>50450496
I see, I was looking for analogy form 40k and that's where I failed. Now it all makes a sense.

Thank you guys for clarification.
>>
>>50447909
They're not for full games, they're for starter box games.

Deep cut does look good though, waiting to see if there are options that are easier to get in the states.
>>
A thought I just had- so we know that one of the main uses for each factions standard gun frigate will be hunting other frigates before they can murder your most important ships looking at you taipei and djinn, but I've been thinking about which way is the best targeting pattern to use

1- since each gun frigate has enough power that it can kill an enemy frigate in one volley, do you target 1 enemy ship per frigate of your own.

or

2- focus fire- use 2 frigates of yours per enemy frigate targeted, and focus fire on the centre of their formation to break group coherency
>>
>>50451277
In just about any situation, I'd say always over-apply your firepower. Better to remove a target completely and waste a few dice, than not finish off a target since you decided to split your firepower.
>>
>>50451277
doubletap because trying to guarantee half their forces shooting at you is better than having all their forces lightly damaged shooting at you.
>>
>>50445621
Almost? DfC has been out for over a month now.
>>
>>50452032
Yeah, it has for the general population. I'm still missing mine and just a little in denial about it. Gotta wait for a week or two more.
>>
>>50452032

Its in transition still. There is hardly any marketing, no website, and no outside support because Hawk is focusing on putting out orders. Once it hits full launch things will pick up a bit more.
>>
>>50447909
guys - is this the most aesthetic gaming mat? There are a couple of others... I'll post them now.
>>
>>50454077
>>
>>50454077
Depends on the fleet.

You know PHR vessels are repainted based on what theater they'll be operating in and what is the best A E S T H E T I C color scheme for that environment.
>>
>>50454077
This one or >>50454097
>>
So anyway

The damage from bombers from the Seattle and from the Ikarus are almost identical in a vacuum but 3 UCM bombers will ever so slightly out damage 2 PHR bombers. 2.67 vs 2.44.

The Seattle puts out 1.775 damage against a 3+ target with its main guns

The Ikarus puts out about 1.11 with one of its broadsides and 2.22 ish with a double

So in a completely ideal scenario the Seattle will do about 4.43 damage and an Ikarus will do about 4.65, (add .55 if you count the fore gun for 5.2 total)

nearly identical.

The only actual advantage of the Ikarus is that it has 1 more HP and takes 1 more damage to cripple.

Oh and it's 15 fucking points less. If they had costed similar than it would be no contest but as it is the Ikarus is priced like a throwaway cruiser.

So it's an okay ship, especially when it's compared with the Orion (Ikarus can do more damage in one broadside than an Orion but less damage overall)
>>
Any decent player finder for these games? I'd love to get into Dropfleet as naval games are near and dear to my heart, but wargaming is sparse enough in my area that I don't know if I'd get a game.

I will forever envy the Midwest and Southwest for being a gaming utopia despite the massively greater population in New England.
>>
>About to comment on the KS
>realize you don't care anymore
Never going to do a KS again tbqh, or at least I'm never going to interact with other backers. Why are they so childish?
>>
>>50447909
>>50454077
>>50454097
I like the desert one the most, but, fluffwise, the lush green one makes the most sense. The Cradle Worlds were meant to be beautiful and extremely habitable.
>>
>>50455299
You have to consider fighter screens too.
>>
>>50455818
Scalpers, mate. Or people agitated by them.
>>
>>50455818

Yea it is very likely that is what a few of them were.
>>
>>50456350

There have been a few ebay sellers trying to off load their orders for a lot of cash. One dude is in the US now trying to sell a commodore with 2-up for like 600 bucks.
>>
>>50454746
>>50455068
>>50456098
I figure that the ships will get lost on the green one, way too much color. It might look like a mess.
Snow also to some extent.

Desert I feel will offer the most contrast?
>>
>>50456387
There is a lot of color, but unless your ships are really plain (or the same green) they should stand out because of their height.
>>
File: 1385136099928.jpg (14KB, 233x270px) Image search: [Google]
1385136099928.jpg
14KB, 233x270px
So, a thought. Deep space engagements are possible in DFC, but cuts out one of the key mechanics, namely Orbital Layers.

I was wondering if it might be possible to use the orbital layers mechanic in deep space engagements to represent Z axis plus, minus, or neutral (level?), with each one having its own pro's and cons relevant to the opponent you're firing at.

Would be a bit of work to get it all balanced and laid out, but I haven't really thought that far ahead. Mostly just spitballing here.
>>
Oh, does anyone have those pics of the facbook conversation they had with Andy Chambers about some rule questions? Namely, he mentioned how much distance an inch represented, and I can't remember off the top of my head.
>>
>>50457840
Honestly, I'd crunch it out something like as follows.

>3 layers as usual; considered z-levels
>normal penalties for firing and moving between layers applies
>for the purposes of cohesion and range, a flat 6" is added for distances between ships on a layer up or down; 12" for ships 2 layers away to represent the vast distances of deep space combat
>>practical consequence of this is that groups must remain on the same layer as each other, and moving between layers is more defensive with the lack of atmos
>CAW can be used on targets on a different layer, but the same range penalty applies; basically only ships with 7"+ scan will be able to do so
>if a ship would be subject to orbital decay, roll a d6 once it becomes so (but before any damage control rolls). On a 1, 2, 3, it goes "up" for all failed damage control, and on a 4, 5, or 6 it goes "down" for all failed damage control. Ships that leave the field this way are considered destroyed
>due to the high relative velocities of ships, all weapons suffer a +1 penalty to their accuracy UNLESS any of the following are true
>>target's heading is within 45 degrees of being the same as the attacking ship's heading
>>target's heading is within 45 degrees of being the opposite as the attacking ship's heading
>>
>>50457840
>in Deep Space, there are infinite orbital layers
>'hahahaha, humans will never catch me behind 9000 orbital layers. Silly host-bodies.'
>>
>>50459377
>deep space combat game
>all ships are on a 4' by 4' by 4' field
>but nearly all weapons are measured in terms of dozens of feet
>actual field is a 20x20x20 grid of cubes, all superimposed into a single physical field
>>
Probably been asked dozens of times, but what frigates should I be making as shaltari? Im guessing the disruptor one and microwave one, as the particle one is kind shit?

Seems like the shaltari basically NEED a fleet carrier if not two because of their shitty point defence, is that right?
>>
>>50460607
Honestly; all of the Shaltari frigates feel underwhelming to me for their points costs. I'm tempted to solely use Opal's.

I would take a squadron of Ame's if they cost 50 instead of 48; their points cost not being a multiple of 5 like the rest of the Shaltari is seriously triggering me.
>>
>>50460711
Yeah their frigates just seem a bit shit. I'm predominantly a scourge player who has picked up some dropzone shaltari, and was considering dropfleet, and coming from Djinns theyre just all a bit shit.

It seems like in terms of cruisers I'm going to want a carrier, a mothership, and then an obsidian or some thing? I'm really fucking bad at working out what's good or not
>>
>>50460940
>It seems like in terms of cruisers I'm going to want a carrier, a mothership, and then an obsidian or some thing? I'm really fucking bad at working out what's good or not

At 1500 points you'll want a minimum of two motherships, possibly up to three.
A Basalt is all but required, but taking a Platinum or 2Basalt instead isn't a bad idea.

The Obsidian is a good heavy cruiser, and so is the Onyx, but I prefer the Ruby for all the versatility it brings.

It has the same standard orders firepower as either the Obsidian or the Onyx, and when weapons free gains much more power than the Onyx and is slightly better than the Obsidian, albeit with four of its damage limited to a F(N) arc.

At the absolute minimum you should take two Opals, anywhere in your fleet, simply because of how great they are.
>>
>>50457840
how would a deepspace battle occur feasibly in universe.

Foldspace drives allow instantaneous transition point to point, with the only limitation for the Scourge, PHR, and UCM being a beacon or set of coordinates required for accuracy, (shaltari who knows really). The only other limitation is that ships cant jump right into a gravity well so they have to be approximately 6-10 hours out from the nearest gravity well at sublight speeds (whatever those are since no numbers are given really).

Given this situation unless you were somehow at the jump point hanging about (an unlikely occurance) when the enemy jumped in, youd have only 6-10 hours to detect their fleet, and then vector towards them, since you werent moving at them to begin with they would have a pretty serious speed advantage likely the only way you could be assured of meeting them in a protracted engagement would be to go to wherever they are going and fight them there. Since planetoids of some sort are the only relevant destinations, it would seem that about 99% of all actual engagements will take place in orbit.

Any other engagement would be limited to a single pass as thee is little to no reason to stay on location and duke it out, at least one fleet wants to get to some place, so why would they wait around to battle it out.

Also what (other than complete destruction) would be the objective in a deep space battle?
Sounds like it would just devolve into close, then go weapons free everyone is then mostly dead by turn 3 call it a day?
>>
>>50461271
Deep space station, maybe.
>>
>>50461088
Fantastic, thank you have a (you)

Yeah they just seem really bad the topaz is passable I suppose as a slightly better Harpy, but not much.

The shaltari frigates really are absolutely cancer to assemble with those top fins
>>
>>50460607
2 Opals and 2 Topazes/Amethysts for the first 4 frigates. Then repeat for the next 4 frigates. After that consider the other combat frigate you didn't make. Never acknowledge the existence of the Jade.
>>
When it comes to scoring, only ground troops/artillery/tanks does it, or ships at low orbit next to clusters also score?

I've watched demo game and I was not sure what were they trying to do form low orbit at 4th turn.
>>
>>50462947
In some scenarios (most?) the clusters are Critical Locations and the player with the most tonnage of ships in low-orbit nearby claims them on the scoring turns.
>>
>>50462947
>>50463135
Yeah, there's scoring for controlling ground locations (specified in the scenario) and generally you can also separately score points for controlling low orbit around certain critical locations.
>>
>>50463135
>>50463285
Ah I found that in rulebook, so it means I have to have droped units in sector AND ship in low orbit in order to score that points? I got less points if I only contest them?
>>
>>50463858
No, the VP you get for controlling a critical location is totally independent to the VP you get for holding/contesting a cluster.
>>
Any one that has played a few games, how is the ratios of troopship to strike carrier?

Seems like you want a troopship filling certain areas of the board with grunts and batteries that you know you have early control advantage for.

Strike carriers are for when you need to contest sectors. I want to leave my troops ships at one and bring more SC. Will I be suffer because of lack of batteries? Does the troopship need to be in th action to put down batteries to troll dropships?
>>
>>50464147
While I havn't played any games yet, I've been mentally working off aroundabout 1 troopship and 4 strike carriers spread out over at least 2 battlegroups for 1k points, with 2 troopships and 5-6 strike carriers for 1500 matches.

The reason for battlegroup splitting is that it gives you better odds to have carriers on board early for split approach scenarios and because it gives you more flexibility in launch phase.
>>
>>50458117

That sounds really, really complicated for something that can be represented by the current rules if you get rid of the atmosphere rules of layer 3 and just treat all 3 layers as high orbit
>>
>>50464396
That was one of the little worries floating through my head when I tossed out my idea - that it's just needlessly complicating the rules when it functions just fine as it is.

Just seems like a waste to have these layer rules and not use them, so I had to meddle.
>>
>>50455737
Where in New England? We've got the beginnings of a group (4-6) in central MA
>>
File: 1.jpg (485KB, 1800x1129px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
485KB, 1800x1129px
Plastcraft are bringing out some new terrain for Dropzone.
>>
>>50465972

Southwestern CT, unfortunately, although close enough to make the hike up there if you guys ever host events.

Drives me nuts that we have so many people packed into the greater NYC area and yet wargaming is so thin on the ground.
>>
>>50466664
Oooooh, how's pricing?
>>
>>50466775
Not on the site yet but knowing plastcraft probably not too expensive.
>>
>>50466664
Those look really nice, too.
>>
Well since I cant post on the Hawk forums I might as well put this here. Just learned that my local DZC group is basically destructing over this kickstarter. The other guy who was pretty interested is now going to sell everything he has and just go back to 40/30k. So basically its back to square one for me, I guess Im just gonna give up too, doesnt seem worth it anymore. Hype is officially dead.
>>
>>50467973
That sucks anon, sorry to hear that.
>>
>>50467973
Pretty sad. Was your cell consisting of 2 players?
>>
>>50466664

While these look good, how are you supposed to shoot from some of those buildings?
>>
>>50468216
nah we had about 4-6 people but this guy was one of the more interested ones, and had a couple of months ago been ready to setup a demo game at a FLGS once the pledge stuff arrived. Having him turn about face and dump his stuff is basically a huge loss.
>>
>>50468426
Why's he selling his stuff?
>>
>>50467973
Wow, I don't understand that mentality at all. Okay, it's late and that sucks but how does selling everything (including Dropzone stuff if I'm reading correctly) solve that problem at all? Now instead of playing a game you like and a game you might have liked he's going to just... Not? And presumably get triggered everyone someone brings it up like a Fantasy player at a Signature event?

He'll probably be bitching about it long after a sane person will have shrugged it off and enjoyed the game for years. It's just fucking strange to me. Does suck for you though man, good luck.
>>
>>50468426
I can't imagine someone getting that angry over a KS. Don't people understand that you need to build in at least a year of delay for any KS involving miniatures?
>>
File: 54742185.jpg (94KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
54742185.jpg
94KB, 400x400px
I'm getting into DZC just now, and my starter box for Shaltari is arriving today. I've got a few games set up at my FLGS with some other new players, and think I've got the beginnings of a group set up.

Since it looks like a community is forming around me, what's a good way to expand a Shaltari force? The Ocelot looks nice for its strong gun, and Jaguars seem like a decent general purpose unit.

Gates are a given, I know.
>>
>>50469967
Caimans are pretty fucking awesome if you wanna tank, and dreamsnare+leopard brick is awesome for AV.
>>
>>50469967
Pungari, Firstborn, and Spirit Gates are pretty handy on the infantry side of things.
>>
>>50469967
A formation of walkers with a dreamsnare is a nice big fuck you unit to have.
>>
>>50469967
Ocelots are alright, they're vicious against other Shaltari and buildings but suffer from the classic problem of only having one shot. Jaguars don't do AT quite as well as Leopards, but they still manage to stay relevant with their long range and AA.

Honestly the only hedgehog units I'd completely steer clear of are Thunderbirds, Warspears and maybe Samurai. Thunderbirds because a single E10 shot isn't worth the hassle and Firebirds do it better, Warspears because their effectiveness isn't worth dealing with the bullshit inherent in fast movers, and Samurai because they're slow and short ranged.
>>
>>50467973
My local area's exploding back with interest again. People are just waiting for their shit.

Gamers are fickle and emotional.
>>
File: Hydra.jpg (311KB, 970x499px) Image search: [Google]
Hydra.jpg
311KB, 970x499px
not the best picture but I'm in the middle of painting my first cruiser. I think it probably needs more colour but I've found with scourge stuff it's really hard to decide where to actually put which colours.
>>
>>50473949
Some metallics on those raised ridges, or even just some basic edge highlighting would look really nice and add some sharper definition to your mini.

Those little curved lines coming off those eyeball things at the front would really benefit from some chrome or flat steel too!
>>
>>50470073
>>50470110
>>50470638
>>50471628

Thanks for the responses! I think I'll definitely go for a dreamsnare and some walkers along with some infantry with spirit gates for my next set of units.

I think my first game is against Resistance, and that's in a few days. If there's interest, I'll throw up a summary of the game when it's done.
>>
>>50474561
I'd personally like to see a report.
>>
I wish Shaltari ships didn't look so ass. I would love to play some shields and teleporter shennanigans

Any chance of the resistance coming to Fleet?
>>
>>50473949
That gap cutting your ship literally in half looks horrible.
>>
>>50474561
Good luck I think resistance and phr are the worst matchups for shaltari.
>>
>>50475518
>Shaltari
>looking ass
Only their frigates are shit tbqh.

>Any chance of the resistance coming to Fleet?
Never, sorry anon.
>>
>>50475518
man Shaltari are such an interesting twist on Protoss now that I think about it. Similar tech levels, similar attitudes about war, but a few minor changes (not having access to the khala, being immortal through cloning rather than through physical perfection) makes a very interesting and different species and culture.
>>
File: SRG-SRGF-SRGFD-SRGFK_Racks.jpg (15KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
SRG-SRGF-SRGFD-SRGFK_Racks.jpg
15KB, 300x200px
>>50475793
>Only their frigates are shit tbqh.
I can't stand all the bumps. I would like the ships more if there were some different textures, but it's like the entire thing is some kind of an alien dildo, because it's textured at every nook and cranny.

Hell, even the Scourge has flat spots on the fins/heads for some contrast

I think Shaltari were prototyped entirely from rack gears that someone bent in their garage.
>>
>>50477479
That's pretty much their entire aesthetic, senpai; the Shaltari are supposed to be overly detailed and ornamental.

I quite like how they look in general, except for the frigates.
>>
>>50447919

You could probably buy a couple of posters of unmarked "trippy" space scenes and just stick them under some plexiglass, if you don't wanna shell out all that scratch
>>
>>50463954
So... I can get my VP for holding clusters with ground troops, and my oponent can score crit location VP form same area?
>>
Guys... I know we don't like the kickstarter comments, but its gone from just Khell pissing into the wind, to a lot of normally silent people saying they've given up and are either re-charging their credit card or selling the stuff. Some of this will just be lies, but the volume of these messages really suggest that Hawk may have done some serious damage to the success of this game.

Just look at these threads as well. Completely fucking dead now, despite 90% of the orders delivered.
>>
>>50479650
Yeah, the prolonged delay is disheartening. Sure, these threads are getting pretty slow. But anyone going into a miniatures KS without anticipating delays of up to a year didn't do their research, and DZC threads were a goddamn desert before the Kickstarter.

Hawk probably has derailed a great deal of the hype train by not preparing for the delays on their end of things (resulting in things like some minor retail push backs and a complete lack of Dropfleet advertising on their own website), but all I can hope is that they do a crazy good PR job once they're done with the shipping slog.
>>
>>50479650
People who have their shit are painting or playing (or being retards and denying themselves fun toys because they arrived a bit late). People who don't have their shit don't really have much to say other than "I hope I get my shit soon", which they've already been saying for a while. Besides, the only reason these threads were as popular as they were was because of the DFC hype train, and that's died down a fair bit.

>>50479704
They need to hire a dedicated PR guy. This entire shitstorm could have been avoided if they had someone who could make people happy without actually giving them anything. You'll never get rid of professional shitters like Khell, but they could definitely stopped others from joining in.
>>
>>50479650

Why would anyone who wasn't furious with Hawk continue posting in the KS?

It seems as though they've blundered significantly with maybe 5% of backers, which while unfortunate, is hardly going to kill a game.
>>
>>50479440
Yes. Or you can score both.
>>
>>50479858
>Why would anyone who wasn't furious with Hawk continue posting in the KS?
This desu; people who already have their stuff and aren't bitches don't comment all that often; KS comments represent a systematic selection bias.
>>
>Another week almost over
>Another week without shipping confirmation
>Feel relaxed
>They'll get here when they get here
>Bitching and moaning won't make them come faster

I think I've finally hit a zen state. I don't have any frustration left in me.
>>
>>50482681
The lorry crashed and someone stole Dave's injection molds.
>>
>>50482681

Best thing you can do with any KS is to completely forget about it after filling out the pledge manager, and then be pleasantly surprised when a box arrives on the doorstep. Same thing happened to me recently with Conan.
>>
>>50483685
Yup!
>>
>>50483685
Yep, happened with Secret Hitler, mainly because I was angsting about Dropfleet.
>>
>tfw more lulcow internet tough guys showing up in the KS comments
Why are normie-gamers such fags, /dcg/?
>>
File: 1476540816087.jpg (45KB, 500x383px) Image search: [Google]
1476540816087.jpg
45KB, 500x383px
>>50486267
Something something millenials
>>
>>50486267
Autism of nerds without the aloof, power-level-concealment of 4chinz.
>>
File: should have sent a poet.webm (195KB, 1152x480px) Image search: [Google]
should have sent a poet.webm
195KB, 1152x480px
>recently moved states
>contacted Hawk to see if I could change address for the KS
>can't for some reason, even though my pledge hasn't shipped
>panicking every day hoping I can fix this with the courier before it's gone forever
Is there anything else I can do?
>>
>>50486267
Honest question here, do you really think the people who are buying fuckhueg boxes of built 'n' paint plastic spaceships AND sweating dropping like £150 on a Kickstarter are normies?

I mean I like my plastic spaceships and the kits are lovely (though the PHR stuff could use another half mil tolerance on the flank pieces) but if it never appeared, shit it's £150 you spent a year ago, you spend more than that on shoes some months.
>>
>>50486622
>are normies?
They're certainly more along the normal spectrum than we are, anon.

>shit it's £150 you spent a year ago, you spend more than that on shoes some months.
They're mad for the sake of being mad, what do you expect?
>>
>>50486699
>They're certainly more along the normal spectrum than we are, anon.
Dunno about that, when I walk into one of my LGSs that does mini wargaming I'm normally one of the more normal people in the room. I don't think you can Khellpost for months about your toys not arriving or be as negative as the Turner guy in the Facebook group without having some severe emotional skin in the game, to a level that probably rules you out form being normal.

>what do you expect?
Perspective, though I have to admit I'm not sure why now that I think on it.
>>
>>50486556
You can contact your post office to forward your mail I thought
>>
>>50486808
Only for a few weeks. It's been too long now, so I guess I just have to pray that they send the tracking info soon.
>>
Well it's 10:30pm bongtime. If I don't get my email tomorrow I'm going to email them myself and ask if I have the dubious honor of being the literal last package to be sent out.

Also does anyone have Hawks email address
>>
>>50486773
No, anon, they're "normies" because they're demanding, greedy, emotionally immature, and lack perspective. Their entire method of acting reminds me of a bowl cut soccermom. There's holdino companies to professional standards and being understanding, and there's being overly invested and immature.
>>
>>50486773

You might be surprised at how vicious and petty even seemingly normal people can get when they perceive an attempt to deprive them of a sum of money, no matter how small. My heart goes out to all the poor sods in retail.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if some of these guys have a good job, wife, kids, normal social life, the works.
>>
>>50487159
>You might be surprised at how vicious and petty even seemingly normal people can get when they perceive an attempt to deprive them of a sum of money, no matter how small. My heart goes out to all the poor sods in retail.
This; as an ex-retailfag, people will throw a shitfit over a single dollar. They will blow their heads off if a 5% sale doesn't apply to a specific thing they're buying.

Nevermind that wargames are luxury hobbies bought with disposable income.
>>
File: whydavewhy.jpg (57KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
whydavewhy.jpg
57KB, 400x300px
Tomorrow battleships go out.

Still no fucking KS order notification
>>
>>50487264
My battleship is already in transit. Based Warstore.

With hindsight I might have just ordered a pile of starters from them and avoided the delay, but at least I'm getting extra freebies.
>>
>>50487264

If it makes you feel any better, I got interested after the KS and I can't find a starter set anywhere.
>>
File: 1471762886572.jpg (61KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1471762886572.jpg
61KB, 800x800px
>>50487264
I feel you, my aquatic brother.
>>
Why are people so butthurt about not getting their kickstarter bonus gifts? They literally gave Hawk money just to make the game.
>>
>>50489601
They don't understand what kickstarter actually is. Or they're like Khell and they totally understand, but they just enjoy getting mad and trying to ruin things because they're worthless parasites.

I'm actually kind of glad that it's late because it fucks over the scalpers disproportionately. And I'm always happy to fuck over scalpers.
>>
>>50487337
man, that's a good sign for game health. Gets me a little excited.
>>
>>50491246
The game will start to grow once the KS BS ends.
>>
>>50489601
at this juncture people are annoyed because by some twist of fate they ended up dead last to get their stuff, and you can now buy just about everything sans battlecruisers from retail and have it already. If you backed as a commodore you probably spent somewhere around 300+ dollars US on the game already so going and grabbing retail stuff while waiting is just putting more money into the game which you might want to you know play now but cant because you somehow ended up dead last
>>
>total of 16 frigates from retail+KS
>Shaltari
6 Opal, 4 Amethyst, 4 Topaz, 2 Jade (for the sake of the starter fleet)

This is literally all I will ever need.
>>
Can someone explain to me how Shaltari aren't shit in DFC? Their shield seem barely worth it since it just makes them a target with long ranged guns + zero pt defense and the saves aren't even good with the shields up.
>>
>>50493184
well for one they have far longer detect range that the other factions, without shields up they have tiny signatures making them hard to target. They can strategically use shields up to give themselves not only a better save the but the unique ability to save against critical hits (which ignore normal armor saves). They have several weapons which straight up ignore armor and always crit, also they can still get PD From fighter cover with shields up, and subsequently have the best fighters in the game.

They also have very durable and very fast strike carrier equivalents in the form of void gates which can get over a cluster fast and immediately count as a defense battery making even deploying troops to that cluster tough, they also have some mean attacks in atmo.

Basically Git Gud Faggot
>>
>>50493184
>Can someone explain to me how Shaltari aren't shit in DFC?
Terribly long ranged sensors.
Incredibly small signatures.
Their disintigrators are fairly good weapons.
Their larger particle ships are excellent.
Their launch assets are excellent.
Their ground-game is funky.

>Their shield seem barely worth it since it just makes them a target with long ranged guns + zero pt defense and the saves aren't even good with the shields up.
Optimally speaking, you wouldn't be using shields until the enemy is in your face and can't capitalize on your massive signature as much.
The shield save is actually exceedingly good, and straight up deletes half of all damage done to the ship; critical or normal.
PD is compensated by them having good carriers and excellent fighters.

In fact, shields are ONLY worse than 3+ armor when it comes 5+ and 6+ lock weapons, and are far superior to 4+ and 5+ armor. Basically, they utterly destroy damage output by negating what makes crits so special.
>>
>>50493184
Shields make crits count as normal hits. That's a massive deal, and in many cases it's better than a 3+ save. It's all about knowing when to go shields up and when to go shields down. PD can be compensated for by fighters. A carrier is pretty much mandatory in Shaltari because of this.

Their massive scan range and ridiculous voidgate bullshit (seriously those things need to be 2 hull points, they're effectively tougher than New Orleans right now because they don't get crippled at half HP) really help as well.
>>
>>50493316
Yeah, voidgates are pretty stupid on the paper. They don't even explode. You could at least make their weapons not function is space.
>>
Is iy worth it having a group of frigates dedicated to active scanning duty early game at the backlines? What are good ships for that in each faction? UCM has its dedicated scanner ships, but could PHR use andromedas to give other ships fightet screens and scanning with them aswell?
>>
>>50489191
The eternal quetion:

Minos or Heracles?
>>
>>50494458
Personally, I imagine it's going to come down to which superweapon lets me belt out Gurren Lagann-grade command phrases without dying from self-inflicted cringe.
>>
>>50494493
So, Diamond.
>>
>>50494458

Well, the Minos has can cause more damage, whilst the Heracles has range. Basically, it's not coincidence that they have the same points cost.

It depends on if you want to brawl or snipe ultimately.
>>
>>50493438
They're quite limited. All ships of the same class in the same battlegroup congregate together into one big group in-game, so you could only scan once per turn with Andromedas in a single battlegroup. But if you spread them out into multiple battlegroups, then those battlegroups can't use different special orders like silent running. Multiple ship types together like a 2Andromeda+Calypso+Medea battlegroup might work since you get 3 scans per turn, but it would be a bit tricky keeping them both safe and effective.

Limas are really fucking good, you can just dump a pair of them in a battlegroup and let them mark targets from the back while their friends go off to shoot people or drop troops or whatever. Fukken xenos and nutslaves just can't compete.

>>50494458
Heracles seems better for sitting further back and cripplesniping motherfuckers while Minos wants to loose the torpedoes immediately and then get close to fire off broadsides and missiles. Depends on what you want.
>>
File: ad vindictam.jpg (1MB, 2362x2188px) Image search: [Google]
ad vindictam.jpg
1MB, 2362x2188px
To save our mother Earth from any alien attack!

From vicious giant jellies who have once again come back!

We'll unleash all our forces, we won't cut them any slack!

The UCM deploys!
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-mTn_z3JrI

Dave stop making videos and ship me my order.
>>
>>50495260

Who did this?
>>
>>50496772
Me

Scourge chan is on the eternal to finish pile
>>
>>50493184
The first game I played with them, I crippled most of my opponent's fleet on the first turn.

Git Gud.
>>
>>50493184

You're in bizzaro world if you think competitive DFC is going to be Shaltari + PHR dream team, everyone else don't bother showing up
>>
>>50496870

Bruh you need to get on that
>>
>taking any frigates besides Opals

--------------------------------------
Shaltari 1500 #2 - 1500pts
Shaltari - 8 launch assets

SR12 Vanguard battlegroup (280pts)
1 x Adamant - 200pts - H
+ Starchief (80pts, 4AV)
2 x Opal - 80pts - L

SR12 Vanguard battlegroup (235pts)
1 x Obsidian - 155pts - H
2 x Opal - 80pts - L

SR13 Line battlegroup (290pts)
1 x Basalt - 145pts - M
1 x Emerald - 100pts - M
3 x Voidgate - 45pts - L

SR10 Line battlegroup (170pts)
2 x Azurite - 170pts - M

SR13 Line battlegroup (290pts)
1 x Basalt - 145pts - M
1 x Emerald - 100pts - M
3 x Voidgate - 45pts - L

SR8 Pathfinder battlegroup (155pts)
1 x Amber - 110pts - M
3 x Voidgate - 45pts - L
>>
>>50497472
>tfw you just realized you can drop 3 of the voidgates to up the Obsidian to another Ruby

Calling it now, double ruby is the best.
>>
>>50497457
>DFC is DZC 2: Electric Boogaloo with edgehogs and ballboys ruining everything once again
It's even sadder because I know it's true.
>>
Why are Scourge so good for cheese? I'm halfway tempted to try and build a list with the absolute maximum number of battlecruisers, simply because they're such an amazing combat ship.

Scourge Double BC - 1496pts
Scourge - 5 launch assets

SR10 Vanguard battlegroup (205pts)
1 x Basilisk - 205pts - H
+ Fleet Master (80pts, 4AV)

1 x Akuma - 205pts - H

SR9 Line battlegroup (268pts)
1 x Hydra - 140pts - M
2 x Gargoyle - 64pts - L
2 x Gargoyle - 64pts - L

SR13 Line battlegroup (286pts)
2 x Ifrit - 220pts - M
3 x Nickar - 66pts - L

SR7 Pathfinder battlegroup (194pts)
2 x Gargoyle - 64pts - L
2 x Gargoyle - 64pts - L
3 x Nickar - 66pts - L

SR6 Pathfinder battlegroup (258pts)
6 x Djinn - 258pts - L
------------- dflist.com -------------
>>
>>50497622

Apparently, people are saying Scourge high damage and CAW are vicious and might be the most powerful.

Shaltari is easy mode for noobs because of high scan range and voidgate spam (with no corvettes), but other factions quickly have been jumping up as people figure out how the play the game.
>>
>>50497899
>Shaltari is easy mode for noobs because of high scan range and voidgate spam (with no corvettes)
Shit, DFC is bizarro DZC then.
>>
File: Tournament results.jpg (14KB, 144x266px) Image search: [Google]
Tournament results.jpg
14KB, 144x266px
Speaking of faction strength, this is the faction standings for one recent tournament, post-phase 2.

Any opinions on these?
>>
>>50497622
Yeah Dave's one foible is his propensity to give the hedgehogs a bit to potent bag of tricks, and then have to tone it down later, only to mess it up with new units.
>>
I want to paint my UCM fleet purple and white. Will this be aesthetic?
>>
>>50497942
looks like a fairly even dispersion. No resistance though, either they werent represented or did that poorly?
>>
>>50497989
No representation. One guy signed up with them but didn't make it in the end.

Also keep in mind that's also the ranking first to last.
Colours indicate local communities.
>>
>>50497982
What kind of purple?
>>
>>50498069

Dark purple, probably. Something tasteful.
>>
>>50498019
again seems a fair standing of the factions, only shaltari are underrepresented in the top 10, top 3 are all different factions, no one is really dominating any spot. I feel like there werent many shaltari players at this event though, and as you said no resistance.
>>
U N F
>>
>>50499746
noice
>>
>>50497367
>>50493239
>implying I play the game
>>
>>50499746
Corvets when?
>>
HOLY FUCK are Shaltari impossible to build, trying to achieve symmetry with the main prongs is making me want to kill myself.
>>
>>50500286
None of your shit has arrived, huh?
>>
>>50497929
>>50497942

The game seems to require corvettes, which is one of the areas that shaltari have an edge because they aren't released. The voidgate is really good at being annoying because of charged air being the only A2A weapon outside other faction corvettes. So it doubles as a strike carrier killer.

The 3 HP means it doesn't blow up from crippling damage either so it often takes 3 shots where it can take 2 for Hog, UCM, and Scourge frigates. The difference is the gates are only 15 points so that is a lot of points in firepower wasted taking them out.

Apparently bombers are kind of great on paper, not that great in game. Still very effective, but even with PHR they aren't the murder machines everyone thought.

Someone said that he thinks the UCM are actually the most powerful though. (which is interesting and unexpected) Their assets: Good firing arcs, solid armor saves, the Taipei CAW ship, and general all around utility is making them very effective and the UCM player in his group is now a murder machine.
>>
>>50500450
No, I only asked because my lgs had their first game when I walked in. There's only three people playing and I'm receiving pressure to play shaltarii
>>
>>50501170
>the only good hog is a dead hog
>>
>>50501170
Oh, I see.

Well, if you do play, go for whatever fleet you like the look of. Shaltari will probably have the highest skill ceiling though.
>>
>>50500687
>Apparently bombers are kind of great on paper, not that great in game. Still very effective, but even with PHR they aren't the murder machines everyone thought.

You have to chuck them in huge blobs.

Basically nothing survives a gigantic cloud of 16 2+ lock hits.
>>
Bombers do seem to be very much a "fuck this one ship in particular" tactic, but the concentration you need to take anything out means you might not have as much oomph in ship guns. I'd still probably take 2 seattles in a 1500 UCM list, just to plink some at enemies or as fighters for antibomber bonus, but no more than 2 I think
>>
>>50502757

This kind of is it. You don't really need 16 2+ lock hits. In effect you used 400 points to kill one cruiser, which is a who cares. Instead you split them into 8 and watch the ship get crippled then hit it with a few potshots to finish it off.

Bombers appear better for striking deep targets, but the boards aren't that big.

The Seattle looks fucking great for that reason. Those heavy guns are powerful and six extra shots from its bombers for support is a good combo.
>>
>>50502968
Yeah, and unlike other factions having a couple of jakartas at key points gives you that little bit extra oomph PDwise that you can afford to send out bombers more when you might otherwise go for fighters- especially so when your opponent is splitting bombers rather than all on one.

Actually, theres something- when is the best time to bomb and when is the best time to shoot fighters for more PD
>>
>>50500687
I originally considered UCM the easy to learn faction with no real potential, but I'm reconsidering my stance there after getting to know the game. They're unique in that they aren't meant to set up their own fancy tactic, they're meant to counter everyone else's. The tools they use are simple, but the way they need to be applied to deal with everyone else's stupid bullshit is more complex.
>>
>>50502968
>This kind of is it. You don't really need 16 2+ lock hits. In effect you used 400 points to kill one cruiser, which is a who cares.

Do this every turn and it quickly creates a serious problem for your opponent. Especially if you're hitting stuff like Avalons.
>>
Just got my scourge battleship today. I'm not sure which one to build, is one of them strictly better than the other?
>>
>>50505309
The Daemon is honestly a solid build, but the Dragon also has some solid guns, excellent torps, and a decent launch complement.
>>
>>50505309
all battleship choices come down to Muh Launch Assets vs Muh Big Guns

Pick whichever you like more
>>
>>50507899
Pretty much

>Beijing / New York / Tokyo
>muh guns / muh assets / muh bombardment

>Daemon / Dragon
>muh guns / muh assets

>Heracles / Minos
>muh cripple cannon / muh cripple missiles

>Diamond / Platinum
>muh cripple cannon / muh fuckload of assets
>>
>>50507935
Torps are a big part of the Minos as well, so really it's universally
>muh guns / muh assets
>>
Here is a super pointless question that will cause arguing and controversy (actually I got two).

Which game has a less complex ruleset DZC or DFC?

Which game has more strategy DZC or DFC?

I tried thinking about it feel like the first question I dont really have a good answer, the second one feels like its DFC as you need to be thinking ahead further and second guessing your opponent more to make maximum use of your fleet, you have more leeway in DZC to be reactive if you make a mistake.
>>
>>50508852
I'd say DFC is less complicated. DZC has had 2 expansions to introduce new rules, concepts and balance band-aids while DFC just got released.
>>
>>50504570
I think that could be true.

As vs PHR you can use your abundance of lasers to do megadamage on the approach when they're weak, you have jakartas to soften phr bombers, and when it comes to the brawl phase you can use course changes with your good arcs to get into their blindspot easily and still fire.

Vs Scourge- Limas can fuck over stealth, you can match them in CA range with jakartas and taipais, and toulons are decent frigate hunters as well. And thanks to lima spikes or spikes from say, new cairo pack, you should be able to get that bit of extra range on their nasty targets to get them shot up before they hit CA range for their murdercruisers.

and vs hogs- you have limas to partially negate their minimal sig, you have loads of bombardment to help with their standard protoss proxy pylon cheese, and you've got good arcs so impel isnt as useful. You're also durable enough you should be able to go to brawl range quickly and outpunch the hogs there where you can get out of their arcs easily.

I do think that course change will be a really good order for the UCM.
>>
>>50509526
Limas being ineffective against jelly battlecruisers is one of the big reasons why they're so scary. I'll definitely keep some Taipeis around if I expect to face a Basilisk or Manticore. Scans are still very useful against other stuff though, especially the CA cruisers.

I think Limas will be most important against Shaltari though, so you can fire back when they try to snipe you with that 12" scan range.
>>
>>50466664

Any link? I'm having a hard time finding this on their site.
>>
>>50507935
I kinda like the tokyo as the UCM battleship, just because it's probably the best point holder in the game, and with 1 avalon + at least 1 moscow Im not sure I need a third heavy main combat ship.
>>
>>50510218
It's not up on the site yet.
>>
Aspiring jelly head here, finally got my ships and now I'm wondering: Scourge heavy cruisers yay or nay?

I'll probably forgo the Shenlong in favour of the Basilisk (since the fullcloak works so much better for weapons free) but it occurred to me that a Raiju might be nice: Silent runnig + Furnace cannon thanks to stealth seems pretty cool.

Anyone tried it out yet?
>>
>>50512153

Looks like Shenlong yea, but Basilisk fuck yea
>>
>>50512153
Also cloak and stealth don't sync as well for ships with one main weapon.

The shenlong really takes advantage of it by being able to weapon free with just a minor spike. This means you can get in close for scald, hit them with everything, then if you positioned your self right now be killed by everything else.
>>
File: exterminatus.png (126KB, 352x390px) Image search: [Google]
exterminatus.png
126KB, 352x390px
>>50445416
Compared to 40k is this game more balance, cheaper, less complicated, and just better all around?
>>
>>50512862
Stealth synchronises incredibly well with a single main weapon. You can fire off the big gun while maintaining a sig of 0 with silent running.
>>
>>50512933
The benifit would be there on something that has arcs. With a narrow arc Burn through, it is better to keep your distance which is a better ally for protection.

It not bad in any way, but you are better off going one up for the Manti/Bassie or going Shenlong. The Ifrit is better suited for a single BT.
>>
>>50512924
Every game in the world is that.
>>
>>50512924
Yes.

But so is just about every other wargame on the market.
>>
>>50512924
Short answer: Fuck Yes

Long Answer: One of the most balanced games out their in regards to balance level vs variety. Factions are all very different and power levels look pretty close for both games.

Dropzone has a few intra-faction imbalances with some units being crap due to their age. Hawk is pretty good at updating, but some have fallen behind. With DF, it is too early to tell, but they are looking pretty close and if they aren't expect Hawk to change that.

Models are a little pricey, but you can have a full army or fleet of 1500 points with options for around 200 in DZ and around 150 in dropfleet.

It is less complicated by a lot, but 40k is very bloated. Dropfleet looks much simpler than DZ. Both are very complex in their game style though. That said everything shares the same rules pretty much so once you understand the basics it becomes pretty simple.

It is much better all around. 40k does two things well: Having great fluff and building stories around individual models. Nearly everything else is done much better in other games.

Drop Commander fluff's world is pretty standard sci-fi, but its fun and dynamic. Story has been moving forward since day one and it has a lot of room to go anywhere.

In DZ there is not much emphasis placed on the individual as it is a mass battle game like Epic 40k was. With Dropfleet you ships can more identity and can fill that spot.

Everything else Drop is much better however both games are very different that 40k. If you are looking for a skirmish game like 40k you probably want too look at something like infinity. DZ is more like flames of war or epic. DF is more like battefleet gothic.
>>
>>50513260
lol so true other than infinity for its rules
>>
>>50513372
Great analysis for someone unaware of the basic functions of this game. Thanks for the (you)

The price does seem a bit much for the size of the models but it is the game that i care more about and in general it seems like a lot more cheaper game than most other mini game. Plus it being balanced is more than a necessity it is a requirement.
>>
>>50513372
>Drop Commander fluff's world is pretty standard sci-fi, but its fun and dynamic. Story has been moving forward since day one and it has a lot of room to go anywhere.

I've been really enjoying this.

What's really nice is that there isn't blatant fluff favouritism like in 40K. The humans get their victories, but there's no Space Marine equivalent that just roflstomps everyone else. The Shaltari feel weird and deadly. The PHR pull off being master manipulators really well. The Scourge are a legit threat despite being on their back foot in the first book (fucking loved that they responded to humanity taking a farm planet from them by utterly poisoning the colonies' primary food production world).
>>
>>50514642
>The PHR pull off being master manipulators really well.

The PHR are the true Eldar of the setting, no matter how advanced the Shaltari are.

>brave UCM operative manages to get on one of their ships
>allows stealth ships to follow their fleet... to a new front that they've basically won already
>hey at least we've got a recon team here that they don't know about
>psyke, there's a PHR infiltrator on one of the stealth ships, they probably knew about the whole operation and are carefully controlling anti-PHR sentiment aboard the vessel

Praise be to Spaceball.
>>
File: ALLYOUPHRFUCKERSAREGONNAPAY.jpg (44KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
ALLYOUPHRFUCKERSAREGONNAPAY.jpg
44KB, 480x360px
>>50514642

Part of this is because is there aren't a lot of pure persistent character based stories in it. Most of one piece stories of someones success or failure.

In 40k you are always following space marine X or eldar hero Y who always has to do something cool which results in there being a universe filled with whipping boys. It becomes like a cheap action movie trailer. THIS SUMMER YOUR FAVORITE HERO TEAM FACES OFF AGAINST OTHER GUYS (WHO ARE THE MOST BADASSED MOTHERFUCKERS IN THE UNIVERSE ACCORDING TO THEIR OWN BOOK) WATCH AS THEY ARE MOWED DOWN LIKE STORMTROOPERS BY HERO TEAM BECAUSE IN THIS BOOK WE SAID THEY ARE THE BEST EVEN THOUGH IN ANOTHER BOOK THEY GET THERE ASSES HANDED TO THEM ALL THE TIME.

Characters in Drop Commander fail or die. Even the famous commanders like Salakhan lost his fight, but said fuck you and nuked everything. That all brings up the point that the more realistic scale means something in the universe as well. UCM wins against scourge by using overwhelming odds and surprise. Acceptable losses are listed in the millions. Ferrum gets nuked to shit and billions die, UCM victories slow down as their Human body resource get lower.

My only real complaint right now is that we still haven't learned enough about the hogs or cybercocks.

>>50514713
Fuck off ball-licker
>>
How's that fleet coming along? Bit stuck how to finish this theme.
>>
>>50516210
>Acceptable losses are listed in the millions
losing a million troops in a planetary campaign would be victory for a bargain
>>
>>50516308
They'd probably be willing to just trade. "One million humans per cradle world? You got yourself a deal."
>>
>>50516489
That's retarded though; the millions of human lives they're losing now are also being payed to destroy Scourge military forces.
>>
>>50516267

Were you going for like a tiger stripe or something?

>>50516308
Not disagreeing, just saying that the game attempts to bring some realism to the scale of planetary fighting.
>>
>>50516740
Looks more like he was going for a Chris Foss look
>>
>>50516892
Agreed, that was what I was thinking as well.
>>
>>50516740
>>50516892
Tigers were the original inspiration, even if the end result remind me more of a tropical fish. Foss usually has cleaner stripes in his designs.

All in all, the stripes are pretty fast to do, but I'm somewhat stuck with how to colour the rest of the ship
>>
File: slide5.jpg (316KB, 930x400px) Image search: [Google]
slide5.jpg
316KB, 930x400px
>>50516958
Well you made a good crack at this by mistake then
>>
File: Europa test.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Europa test.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>50516267
That's a cute Andromeda.

I've been stalled out by the winter blues and the loss of a critical airbrush part, but at least I have my base colors mostly figured out. Sorry about my shitty lighting.

>>50516740
>tiger stripe
I take it you don't have much of a wasp population where you live.
>>
>>50517069
Paint looks a bit thick, senpai.
>>
>>50517079
I'm still new and/or shit with an airbrush, so I won't deny that I caked it a bit all the way down to the spray primer. I'm not sure that I could get a nice even red on the smooth armor by hand, though.

If the Achilles I'm working on turns out the same, I'll probably give my brush skills another chance.
>>
>>50517061
aesthetic as fuck
>>
>>50512862
>>50512933
Yeah, I wouldn't get any use from the cloak, but as anon says Stealth + 1 weapon (burn through in this case) makes better use of stealth, while not having to sacrifice the firepower of a ship geared towards weapons free. That's what makes me unsure regarding ghe Shenlong - it wants to go weapons free (getting no use from stealth) but still lights up to a 14" sig... it's better than 20" sure, but a weaponsfree Basilisk stays at 8" and gets +1 attack over the Shenlong

>>50513217
I see your point with the arcs though... no turning on silent running takes sucks quite a bit for my plan...
>>
Is there really a point to taking the Yokai as a scourge light cruiser? While having near-heavy cruiser level firepower on a light cruiser is awesome, it going weapons free is sure to have it blown up that turn.
>>
>>50518006
Last to first activations, going for stuff at the flanks so that everything you point it at is dead and you're out of position for everyone else to shoot.
>>
>>50518064
Fair point, I suppose it's actually the best idea to activate light cruiser BG's last.
>>
>>50517201
>I'm not sure that I could get a nice even red on the smooth armor by hand, though.
It's a lot harder to get a smooth finish by hand, and nearing an impossibility to paint as smooth as an airbrush, by hand
>>
>>50516892
I didn't know who that was, but thanks for the info to look up.

>>50517069
I do, but I didn't put two and two together.

You need a highlight on that burnt umber. Maybe mix an orange and red?
>>
>>50518666
Any other airbrush tips for a novice?
In particular: I've been using Vallejo Air paints, but I'm wondering if even those need some sort of flow improver.

>>50518859
I'm trying to build it up to a nice Ferrari red, so my eventual highlight mix is probably going to be blood red with some light flesh tone.
>>
>>50518006
>Scourge
>expecting your ships to survive
It's all about trading up. If they take down something more valuable or expensive than themselves with weapons free and then get shot to shit, that's a victory
>>
>>50519576
>Any other airbrush tips for a novice?
I'd be curious as well. Dad just mailed me a compressor and airbrush out of the blue, and I'm lost as fuck. Youtube videos are helping, but I feel like a tard. Might be best if we both went and asked /WiP/ threads for advice.
>>
What does /dcg/ think of this? For referance, me and my group are playing with the current RAW for groups changed; list groups directly translate into game groups, so you could have three groups of one ship in the same BG.

Scourge 1500 #2 - 1490pts
Scourge - 5 launch assets

1 x Basilisk - 205pts - H
+ Fleet Overlord (100pts, 5AV)

SR20 Vanguard battlegroup (320pts)
1 x Raiju - 160pts - H
1 x Raiju - 160pts - H

SR12 Line battlegroup (254pts)
2 x Yokai - 190pts - M
2 x Gargoyle - 64pts - L

SR9 Line battlegroup (268pts)
1 x Hydra - 140pts - M
2 x Gargoyle - 64pts - L
2 x Gargoyle - 64pts - L

SR6 Pathfinder battlegroup (152pts)
2 x Gargoyle - 64pts - L
2 x Nickar - 44pts - L
2 x Nickar - 44pts - L

SR7 Pathfinder battlegroup (191pts)
1 x Wyvern - 105pts - M
2 x Djinn - 86pts - L
------------- dflist.com -------------
>>
>>50519576
>>50520133

The best part of the airbrush is how quick it speeds things up and how it can get an ultra thin primer and base coat down. There are also some great tricks you can do to make you shit really standout. First step is equipment.

Vallejo makes good paints, but a drop or two of flow improver is good. Sometimes you need to thin a little farther. Ensure you have mixed the paints very well. It helps to drop a nut into the bottle to make sure it mixes otherwise it will clog your shit. Or just shake the fucking shit out of it.

A good airbrush is key. Get a gravity fed one because you can use less paint. You can practice with your bargain one, but upgrading is highly recommended (Khrome 4 Life). You also want a compressor with an air tank so the airflow remains constant (this is less important). Regardless, take care of your brush or it will betray you. Running water through it every so often. Stop and take the thing apart to clean if you start painting slow.

Set your PSI to around 30. When you paint do it in long bursts and keep the brush moving back and forth. Light thin coats are the way you want things and the airbrush can really get thin ones. This will give you that smooth finish you see in pics.

For some tricks to get nice results, one of the easier tips you can do is pre-shading. Basically buy three primer colors white, grey, and black. Preshading is using multiple colors two or even three. Same principles apply, hit the cracks with black, grey then white to highlight. You can be messy here because it will be painted over by the base coat. Then you hit with it with your base coat. Because of the airbrushes light coat the primer will auto highlight you model.

Example of pre-shading power: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od2XYnhVCq0
>>
>>50520133
>>50519576

Another thing you can do pretty easy is blend colors. Basically use your paint with a color and before it runs out put a few drops of the new color in a mix. Use that to paint up to then through the transition point. The old color will gradually turn into the new one. Then put in more of the new color you mixed in. And start new the bottom of the transition point and go up. You will end up with three colors blended together perfectly.

You can also do some fancy things with white and tape to make force swords and the like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7me7OB3XP0

Or use ghost tints to make weird effects:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycuKqPxDQug

One last tip is to use sprues as color test beds. With the eye dropper vallejo bottles and a gravity fed brush you can put in like 2 drops and see what your are going to accomplish.
>>
>>50520136

I think you need at least one troopship. Especially without any bombardment ships.
>>
>>50520559
Idk, with 8 strike carriers I should be good; armor is exceedingly powerful at tearing through infantry.
>>
Painting up my Daemon at the moment, the sheer amount of tiny little dots/sensor things is actually driving me insane.
It's such a nice kit though, the fact that it's pose able is really cool.
>>
File: 1480798684406[1].png (798KB, 1126x856px) Image search: [Google]
1480798684406[1].png
798KB, 1126x856px
So, /dcg/ version of this when?
>>
File: 1480811927730[1].png (556KB, 863x752px) Image search: [Google]
1480811927730[1].png
556KB, 863x752px
>>
>>50520693
Critical locations are hard to hold with strike carriers though.
>>
>>50520871
True, which is why I've got the fuckload of heavy tonnage to sit on point.
>>
>>50520848
I'll give it a go at some point.
what should the human be riding on?
>>
>>50520899
Scourgeface Praetorian riding a Monitor, smashing into a Devastator.
>>
>>50520693
6 per turn is a lot, dude. A troopship may be able to churn out dudes faster than you can kill them, and an armour token isn't worth more than an infantry token for sector control. Not to mention the fantastic utility of a defence battery, with a 1/3-2/3 chance of enemy forces before they even hit the ground.

Going without troopships could work, as could going without bombardment, but I'd want at least one of the two in a list.

>>50520899
Minder or monitor

>>50520926
Nah, scourgeface should be photoshopped onto it later.
>>
>>50521057
Eh, I see what you're getting at now. Yeah, I should probably fit a group of Charybdis in there somewhere.
>>
>>50520926
>Devastator
You mean Destroyer, since there isn't a "Devastator" yet.
>>
>>50521167
Shit, yeah; no idea where Devastator came from.
>>
>>50521167
Technically there is a devastator, but it's a rule applied to weapons rather than a unit.
>>
File: 1.jpg (279KB, 593x896px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
279KB, 593x896px
It's not very good but I had to do something while I was waiting for washes to dry.
>>
File: Scourgeface.png (63KB, 419x427px) Image search: [Google]
Scourgeface.png
63KB, 419x427px
>>50521660
wouldReconquest/10
>>
>>50520488
>>50520414
This is terribly useful, thanks for your time.
>>
>facebook dude does a bombass conversion
>doesn't even bother filling in the gaps, or filling in the sockets
This triggers me mightily.
>>
File: 1231231512312.jpg (24KB, 257x271px) Image search: [Google]
1231231512312.jpg
24KB, 257x271px
>>50521660
>>
>>50524003
Maybe it's magnetized? So he's got like a battlefields and heavy cruiser tops?
>>
File: DaemonWIP.jpg (257KB, 472x774px) Image search: [Google]
DaemonWIP.jpg
257KB, 472x774px
Working on my battleship, I'm pretty happy so far with how it's turning out.
>>
>>50524003

That is a pretty good paint job as well. What a shame.
>>
>>50524003
he could just glue on the little mini fins to plug the holes easy enough.
>>
Hmm- I've been giving the light cruisers some thought, and I'm still fairly torn RE which of the UCMs cruisers are best.

I do very much like the cairo as a way of getting laser packs out to tear through enemy cruisers- I think they're a bit better than the berlin because its approx 3 NCs for 2 berlins pointwise IIRC, which is 50% more laser across an extra body, and the most important one is that the lack of other weapons means the C suffers no downside to standard orders or course change to make sure you get a laser on target, while the berlin loses out on it's turrets on those orders.

It's the gun CL I'm not sure about, as I do like the brawler cruisers, so the CL loses out on a bit of gun power in slugging fights. But otoh, UCMs got really good arcs, and getting ino arc blindspots is a really big thing for UCM, and that one can use course change order to get to blindspots and open fire into the ship its flanking, while the cairos cant do that.

Anyone else got any thoughts on UCM CLs?
Which ones are better or should be picked, either in general or compared to standard cruiser variants.
>>
Where are all the UCM and hedgehog WIPs?
>>
>>50527639
The appeal of Berlins is the toughness rather than the guns, as well as the ability to be taken solo. NCs and Berlins both have their merits, NCs are cheaper and more focused but any laser cruiser is going to be a priority target and 3+ saves deal with that better than 4+ saves.

Osakas, on the other hand, are completely different in role to their regular cruiser equivalent. They're flankers, not brawlers. If you try to brawl with an Osaka she'll go down like a little bitch and not contribute enough firepower to make it worth the effort. Really you don't even need course change, just sneak around the side and hit people once you're in a good backstabbing spot. Bring some Toulons along for some more versatility and you've got a solid flanking team.
>>
>>50527754
Hmm, yeah, I can see that- I'd had the idea of using a group of toulons as an anti frigate group- intercept enemy CAW frig squads before they hit the sensitive parts of my fleet, with a side of weight of numbers 6 fishing on enemy strike carriers. So I think an osaka or two could go in that group to help bulk things out and give it the oomph it would need to punch through an enemy frigate screen / beat down enemy flank cruisers / punch through to the backline of the enemy.

NCs Im thinking of are either second wave brawlers or offensive flankers- they're heavy on the single target damage, so they cant cut through frigate screens easily, so unlike osaka groups you probably can't use them defensively to intercept enemy flankers- the best use for them I'm thinking is to try and use their speed to get into position so that you can hit the enemy backline, or use them for brawl openers- dont send them in, but use their maneuverabiltiy and spiking weapons to attack thebrawl cluster from the side, so if the enemy turns to engage them their side is wide open for your heavy hitters.
>>
>>50526684
Looking sweet so far man. I really need to order me some soon.
>>
>>50527750
>Ad Vindictam? More like Not Painting, f a m
>>
>>50526684
>flat
>no vertically challenged trilobite
3/10, paint is looking pretty nice.
>>
>>50528576
Where did the vertically challenged trilobite thing come from anyway?
>>
>>50527750
[indolent spine rustling]
>>
>>50528665
That was my first comment in these threads when I noticed an OP with a Daemon/Dragon image. I happen to like the ability to pose them 'mid ripple', with an air of loricated, segmented fish 'swimming' through space.
>>
So now that the dust is settled, and everyone has gotten their stuff, how is everyone building their ships? At the moment I'm trying to decide between a Moscow and a Madrid.
>>
File: 1478664058622.png (138KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1478664058622.png
138KB, 600x600px
>>50529992
>So now that the dust is settled, and everyone has gotten their stuff
>and everyone has gotten their stuff
>>
File: I-know-that-feel-bro-blank.jpg (17KB, 400x369px) Image search: [Google]
I-know-that-feel-bro-blank.jpg
17KB, 400x369px
>>50530025
You and me both brother
>>
>>50530025
Wait...people STILL haven't gotten their KS? Jesus
>>
File: 14793959597291.gif (50KB, 306x469px) Image search: [Google]
14793959597291.gif
50KB, 306x469px
>>50530337
There's somewhere around 200-300 backers left.
>>
Had first game with the starter box, didn't use ground units yet to just get an idea of the rules. Was ton of fun, even with checking everything five times. I approve of how quickly stuff dies- every space game i played so far made ships damage sponges.
>>
File: IMG_2989.jpg (150KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2989.jpg
150KB, 1500x1125px
Continuing my misadventures in not-Foss land. Today's victim: Theseus!

Definitely less happy with this than my Europa. Didn't put as much thought into masking and it shows. Probably doing some finishing touches to the stripes with a brush.
>>
>>50530689
I dunno, I kinda like it. Looks more like camo than stripes.
>>
>>50530025
>>50530116
East coast Commodore without his fleets reporting for group feels.
>>
Down-under New Zealand commodore without his ships reporting in
>>
>>50529992
fuck you sir, fuck you
>>50530337
also you
>>
>>50531657
Just buy them from store like the rest of us.
>>
>>50530025
Houstonian. I said I'd be one of the last, and I was god damn right.
>>50532779
getting close to doing that. Gotta save up a little bit more money beforehand though.
>>
>>50530025
Britbong lieutenant, haven't even heard of anyone getting an Lt pledge level yet, it's just been Commodore-this and Captain-that.
>>
>>50533254
Most Lts got their stuff early on, man.
>>
>>50533363
Hahahahaa I fucked up

> sends panicked email
>>
>>50533614
let us know what the response is, might give some insight into how things are going.
>>
I can't keep buying ships, help me god.

I'm also really struggling to see where the ucm battleships other than the new York fit in. Also, are shaltari battleships objectively the best?

I'm also stuck between which scourge battleship to build
>>
>>50535143
Beijing is a pretty conventional brawler that sits on a critical location and goes weapons free until everyone is dead. Tokyo sits on that critical location and blows up the armies/cities underneath it instead. The lasers are best used on approach in both cases.
>>
>>50535143
>>50535401

Tokyo is pretty interesting one. It will flat out destroy one sector or nearly kill 2 4HP ones in one turn. I think it is great for simply showing up to a cluster you don't plan on putting troops in and then simply erasing enemies VP areas from existence then camping over the critical location. Since you only score on turn 4 and 6, I can be a great way to deny your opponent VPs he thought he would have. Tokyo is pretty big bargain as well.

I didn't really like the look of the Beijing stat wise, but people are saying its large amount of HP and fire power lets it just brute force its way through enemies and it is a favorite.
>>
File: PHR fleet 2.jpg (81KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
PHR fleet 2.jpg
81KB, 960x720px
>>50445416

Do not - DO NOT - order from Wayland Games. Not if you want your toys this decade. They show the cheapest prices, but are notorious fucksticks once they've got your money. AVOID.
>>
>>50535961
>dat sensible color scheme.

UCM sympathizers detected
>>
File: ucm_poster.jpg (184KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
ucm_poster.jpg
184KB, 800x533px
>>
>>50531382
Ditto - still awaiting.

Honestly expecting for NZ to be the last to receive the goodies...

...just the same as normal. First to the day, last to the prize.
>>
>>50535961
So will the black stripes down the middle go on every ship or is there a reason its only on some?
>>
>>50540281
Seems like only Medeas lack them.
>>
>>50540281
Looks like that's a distinction between the Europas and the Medeas, like how different UCM ship classes have different parts coloured white.
>>
>>50538955

Meanwhile, I'm in England and I still haven't seen anything. My damn Captains Pledge + Scourge BC order's been in processing since January.
>>
>>50535961
those bases are not good bases.

Get rid of that yellow, asap.

It totally ruins your scheme.
>>
>>50535961

I really dig the color scheme, but I think you should have skipped the numbers. The scale of the ships doesn't match the size. It would be the equivalent of the USS Enterprise having a giant 6 written across the entire saucer. Any letter on the ships would be too hard to see at this scale I think.
>>
I want Jakarta-chan to valiantly protect me from bombers.
>>
>>50543341

The ship girls anon really needs to get to work.
>>
>>50543380
You mean moth? Yeah, he needs to start working on the urchin shipgirl. Scourge is optional.
>>
>dorms close on the 16th
>out at home for three weeks for Christmas on the 17th, won't be able to pick up any mail
>still no rewards
Hawk, please
>>
>Normies on Facebook going on about how PHR bombers aren't even worth taking

I'm done.
>>
>>50543653
Best remedy would be to show them that they're wrong by playing a game against them :)
>>
>>50543703

As I'm apparently the literal last person to get their shipping notification, not much chance of that
>>
File: callindave.gif (2MB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
callindave.gif
2MB, 400x267px
>>50543959
You ain't alone bruh
>>
>>50535040
Here's the response I got:

Dear Anon,

We apologise that you have not yet received your pledge. Whilst we are unable to give specific shipping dates for individual pledges we can confirm that your order is currently in processing and we will dispatch your items as soon as possible.

Kind Regards,

The Hawk Wargames Team
>>
>>50544196
Well at least they're responding.
>>
So, what sorts of space stations are people thinking of making with their spare parts?

I've had the idea of using UCM wingtops to make vertical styled stations which will probably look like tenno relays by the end of it.
>>
>>50544611
I think spare voidgates would make good components for Shaltari stations.
>>
>>50544642
>spare voidgates
No such thing.

>>50544213
Thinking of using all the spare heavy calibre and bombardment cannons from PHR cruiser sprues on stations.
>>
>>50545009
Meant for
>>50544611
>>
>>50544611
I'm planning on using the cruise liner from the old EAA times as my proxy until I build a proper one.
>>
>>50545009
>>50545031
>Spend too much time in these threads because I don't have plastic to play with
>See red exclamation mark
>Accidental reply
>No ships
>No friends
>>
File: Bro.jpg (71KB, 833x768px) Image search: [Google]
Bro.jpg
71KB, 833x768px
>>50545994
>>
New thread, commanders

>>50547766
>>50547766
>>50547766
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.