[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>The king genuinely sees it as his duty to protect his people

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 358
Thread images: 65

File: 381[1].png (157KB, 594x483px) Image search: [Google]
381[1].png
157KB, 594x483px
>The nobles, though a little corrupt, don't go around kicking puppies and openly exploiting the peasantry
>Peasants and serfs, though burdened under heavy labor, are overall happy and can afford at least two meals per day
>Villages are cozy with a tight, interconnected community where most people know eachother by name
>Cities are alive and bustling, free of fear unless they're located on the frontier (and even there daily life goes on mostly undisturbed)
>The guards are at best friendly and willing to help lost strangers and at worst skeptical of heavily armed murderhobos walking around in their peaceful cities
>Innkeepers pride themselves on having clean establishments, good meals and quality entertainment
>The clergy, though withdrawn from daily life, regularly aid the least fortunate in society

I can't be the only one who unironically enjoys this kind of setting without some grimdark "twist" to it, right?
>>
>>50417779

It'd be fucking refreshing, I can say that much
>>
>>50417779
>but everything is only this good because one day per year all laws are lifted and anyone can kill anyone they like
>>
File: 1399803665114.jpg (93KB, 500x398px) Image search: [Google]
1399803665114.jpg
93KB, 500x398px
>>50417846
>Not buying a vacation home in Canada or Mexico and moving there once per year
>>
>>50417779
Get your feudalistic magical realm outta here.
>>
>>50417779
I have the strangest boner.
>>
File: 1286497883578.jpg (672KB, 800x1072px) Image search: [Google]
1286497883578.jpg
672KB, 800x1072px
>>50417779
I like settings that focus on how even imperfect systems work for people, if they endure, and allow people to be dependent on each other.

The farmers must be protected or everyone's going to starve. The warriors have to be fed or everyone gets robbed, enslaved or killed. Everyone has a place and all of them are important. People might not be overjoyed about their part in the system, but they will get used to it and find what happiness they can.
>>
>>50417779
You're obviously not the only one, but settings like that are lacking in tension and as such, are boring. It's unrealistic to have a completely grimdark world where everything is shit all the time, but it's equally unrealistic to have a world where everyone is happy and everything is great. A healthy medium is what people should be aiming for.
>>
>>50417779
Nope.
The majority of the primary country in my setting is like that:
>The corrupt Lord or religious leader is the exception to the rule.
>There is a budding middle class.
>Oppression is something that happens in other nations.
>Everyone wishes they were richer and better off, but they still remember the stories of harsher days.
I prefer a nation in a stable, peaceful state that needs protection from encroaching evil, rather than a rotten land better abandoned or murderhoboed through.
>>
>>50417779
That's the kind of setting I want to make, but everyone has a natural 'Resist Death' bonus so slitting throats, poisons, shots and light wounds aren't so deadly.

Basically making HP real and over the top honourable combat is the norm.
>>
File: Mordred Want to be King.png (215KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Mordred Want to be King.png
215KB, 400x400px
>>50417986
You don't need a medium between the op and grimdark, you just need a source of tension. A budding demon nation, monsters in the frontier, ancient dungeons filled with leftover power of a long lost empire, a knight of royal blood that wants to be acknowledged by dad.
>>
>>50418027
This
>>
Cease this subtle saberposting at once.
>>
>>50417779
>Implying the king understands human feelings
You probably could've chosen a better image, OP.

While that's a pretty cozy setting that I honestly don't mind much, for actual games I prefer the more crapsack postapocalyptic near-anarchy stuff that's typical in older D&D and whatsit - there's more opportunities for actual adventure if there's a lot of bad stuff going on that you can right. Your setting seems pretty stable, which is great for more slice-of-life stuff but impedes a bit on player agency for the more adventurous sorts.

Basically, I personally find there to be more adventure in Ankh-Morpork than in the Shire. A hive of scum and villainy is unpleasant to live within, but has a ton of chances for unpredictable and varied interactions for the PCs. (Also, the less stable the setting is the less the law covers stuff, which means the PCs have freer range.)
A king who doesn't protect the people means there's more opportunities for the PCs to protect the people, corrupt nobles mean the PCs can dethrone them, scummy cities mean the PCs have an easier time lying and thieving if that's what they're into, the clergy regularly aiding the less fortunate means there's less chance for the PC Cleric to distinguish themselves by doing just that, etc. etc.

Your setting would probably be excellent for a different type of game than the ones I'm typically into, though.
>>
>>50418049
>This idiot drawing attention to it, rather than ignoring it like the rest of it.

>>50417779
I personally like doing this, but very rarely or very carefully because the moment where my PCs enter a place that isn't "YouDon'tWantToBeHere; Population: Just Enough" they immediately get suspicious and paranoid.
>>
>>50417986
>An eruption reveals a path to a new land, which becomes a frontier
>but evil lurks...
There, done.
>>
>>50418070
She's a king, not your waifu.
>>
>>50417986
There's still conflict, it's just not horrible conflict 24/7 shitfest.
>>
>>50418089
What in my post suggested that I thought she was?
>>
>>50417779
>The religious "Human Supremacy" guys are not actually the bad guys
>The higher-ups are using this whole thing to build their national power
>There exists a few nations of powerful and horrible monsters who see humans as a slaves at best, food source and toys at worst
>The helped to create the kingdom on the most geographically safest land, so it could grow strong and save humanity
>Also created it in order to not share border with the nation of friendly demi-humans and fight unnecessary war with them
I have no idea why i like this sort of thing.
>>
>>50417779
It's more or less actual realistic middle ages for the most part. The grimdark was the exception and all too noteworthy for it.
>>
File: comfy armor.jpg (127KB, 551x760px) Image search: [Google]
comfy armor.jpg
127KB, 551x760px
>>50417779
>>
>>50418106
>plot involves the demi humans and humans forging an alliance to repel their corruption
>>
File: 1442904386930.jpg (123KB, 572x800px) Image search: [Google]
1442904386930.jpg
123KB, 572x800px
Humans, elves, goblins and more coexist.
>>
File: all about goblins.jpg (58KB, 619x231px) Image search: [Google]
all about goblins.jpg
58KB, 619x231px
>>50418168
>goblins
[Autistic screeching]
>>
File: diorama.jpg (513KB, 1926x2104px) Image search: [Google]
diorama.jpg
513KB, 1926x2104px
Wars are a series of direct combat skirmishes fought between small numbers of elite soldiers with few casualties.
>>
>>50417779
So Warcraft? Even the faction's edgelords (death knights) are just chill duded that help other people.
>>
File: Belegar.jpg (61KB, 320x437px) Image search: [Google]
Belegar.jpg
61KB, 320x437px
>>50418168
>goblins
REMOVE
>>
People almost invariably survive being defeated. A days rest is all that's needed most of the time but can survive for weeks with proper tending if they need a doctor or cleric, depending on the damage.
>>
>>50418199
Grobi genocide best day of my life
>>
>>50417779
Quite nice setting, but it would work mostly for those of mildly criminal type PCs, like thiefs.
You know, you go rob mansions and stuff without murderhoboing.
>>
>>50418168
one day

when we are all more wise and mature
>>
>>50417986
>lacking tension

POLITICS, SON

THE AFFERBURG CLAN HAS A CENTURIES OLD FUED WITH THE DONALLIES, EVEN THOUGH THEY BOTH SERVE THE SAME SOVEREIGN NOW, 247 YEARS AGO THEY WERE SEPERATE CITY STATES WHO WAGED WAR OFTEN
>>
File: shade.jpg (428KB, 1260x1528px) Image search: [Google]
shade.jpg
428KB, 1260x1528px
>>50418179
The reason for that is Undead.
You see, the big numbers of dead create the disbalance between the planes of negative and postive energy.
Meaning, the big battlefield will turn into a cursed land, which spawns undead. The more undead spawns in one place, the more stronger undead are going to spawn in the future.
This is why all cemeteries are protected by walls and all wars are the gentlemen agreements you described.
>>
>>50417779
If armies weren't such bunches of assholes, then medieval times would be one of the comfiest
>peasants didn't give a fuck about national identify
>small drive to join the army besides money if brave
>in best case it would be just battles between elite knights, while peasants just work for whoever took over the territory, because no fucks given about what country you belong to
>no repression just because they're French or German. As long nobles can communicate with peasants, goods will flow
>>
>>50418179
>Wars are all just competitions where the advanced nations compete to see who's army can kill the most local barbarian tribesmen in a given timelimit.
>Neither side ever sustains a casualty and diplomatic agreements are signed afterwards.
>>
>>50418274
>live comfy peasant life without mercenaries or starved soldiers razing your shit
>die of dysentery, malnutrition or overwork anyway
Good times
>>
>>50418283
What if they run out of barbarians?
>>
>>50418289
>dysentery, malnutrition or overwork
Shit nobles
>>
File: 1434966057616.jpg (17KB, 288x200px) Image search: [Google]
1434966057616.jpg
17KB, 288x200px
>>50418283
That sounds extremely brutal and dehumanizing. I like it.
>>
>>50418290
The barbarian population is carefully managed by the medieval EPA and captive bred barbarians will be released into the wild in a time of need.
>>
>>50418303
See >>50418297
>>
>>50418283
Wasn't that an episode in Kino's Journey
>>
>>50418230
Could this thing even fly?
>>
>>50418346
weirder looking planes have flew
>>
>>50418345
Yes
>>
File: 1460992515784.jpg (9KB, 199x250px) Image search: [Google]
1460992515784.jpg
9KB, 199x250px
>>50417779
>Peasants and serfs, though burdened under heavy labor, are overall happy and can afford at least two meals per day
Nothing worse than this. Or most interpretations of the feudal laboring class and economy.

First off:

>burdened under heavy labor

This is a meme. Peasants were fucking freeloading shits that only worked one in five days out of the year, and they worked at their own pace, without any supervision.

Second:

>afford at least two meals per day

The medieval economy, by necessity, is not commercialized. Money is not used in the vast majority of transactions. Peasants in particular DID NOT WORK FOR MONEY. The class of people who lived on an income of money were the tiny population of urbanites. The vast majority of feudal societies are not involved in any meaningful sense of the economy. They participated only insofar as they paid up to feudal protectors, who then turned some of their rent of crops into cash.

The economy of money, and in fact the whole economy of commerce, is, in a feudal society an extraneous tumor festering alongside it, not a part of it.

Of course this commercial economy of money, prosperity, and progress predates feudalism, because feudalism is itself perhaps the worst, most utility-destroying, anti-economy in human history, a consequence of illiterate barbarian warriors squatting on Roman factory farms and having no idea what to do with them.
>>
I like settings like that too. I do enjoy the stereotypical 'grimdark' setting once in a while, but those get rather boring quickly.

My current setting is... well, neither, I suppose, because it doesn't take place in established civilisation, but rather in the wilderness; taiga, mostly. Very difficult to travel through, very poor soil so agriculture is difficult, so settlements are tiny and far apart. People who go there are either criminals, or the religiously/racially persecuted, or poor people who want to take their final chance to find a better life, or slavers, or other 'resource-gatherers' who know there's lots of riches in the wilderness that people back in the Empire would gladly pay for. It's a tough environment that attracts some weirdos, but also a lot of good folks who are simply looking to make a living in peace.
>>
>>50417779

You're describing the vast majority of fantasy settings. The only reason this seems contrary is because people got bored of playing Greyhawk/Forgotten Realms/whatever.
>>
File: 1466348164641.jpg (14KB, 320x290px) Image search: [Google]
1466348164641.jpg
14KB, 320x290px
>>50417779
>>The king genuinely sees it as his duty to protect his people
And yet he is so detached from his people, that when he hears that his people don't even have bread to eat, he just says "Let them eat cake."
>>The nobles, though a little corrupt, don't go around kicking puppies and openly exploiting the peasantry
Yet they are constantly at war with each other for petty reasons, and not afraid to throw away their servants' lives for their own protection.
>>Peasants and serfs, though burdened under heavy labor, are overall happy and can afford at least two meals per day
But if they decide to move to another land, under another noble, or become free, they constantly face artificially created obstacles. Not only there is no vertical mobility, but there is no horizontal mobility either - you are destined to spend your life as a bumfuck peasant working on specific land for a specific noble.
>Villages are cozy with a tight, interconnected community where most people know eachother by name
Yes, and when all strangers that come to that community strangely go missing. Because fuck "the others", amirite?
>>Cities are alive and bustling, free of fear unless they're located on the frontier (and even there daily life goes on mostly undisturbed)
Bustling with thievery, drug trade,prostitution alright, governed by the organized crime. There is always an opportunity for a profit to be made in the cities, but no one says said opportunity is moral or legal.
If you want an example of city, think of Khare, the Cityport of Traps. "Vik for the First Noble!" alright.
>>Innkeepers pride themselves on having clean establishments, good meals and quality entertainment
But everyone knows that the inn visitors have to pay for in blood - sometimes literally.
>The clergy, though withdrawn from daily life, regularly aid the least fortunate in society
Except the most popular religion is that of the malicious trickster god and their clergy hast their own concept of "helping" people.
>>
File: qTSP9aDvd8.jpg (102KB, 752x1062px) Image search: [Google]
qTSP9aDvd8.jpg
102KB, 752x1062px
>>50418027
Daddy Issue: cause for 50% of world's problem.
>>
File: Morgan le fay.jpg (552KB, 941x1011px) Image search: [Google]
Morgan le fay.jpg
552KB, 941x1011px
>>50418434
And Mommy issues are the other 50%. ;)
>>
File: this.jpg (78KB, 760x1015px) Image search: [Google]
this.jpg
78KB, 760x1015px
>>50418405
>>
>>50417779
You just described my setting. Which is still grimdark, by the way.
>>
>>50418430
>pointless contrarianism that only proves his point
fucking lel
>>
>>50418517
It's not contrarianism.
I've just described the same fucking setting as he said, without "grimdark" twists. The only thing that changed is the depth of description.
All of the people still remain benevolent, but their ineptitude or vainglory or the relativity of their morality makes it so that no matter how benevolent they are, bad shit still happens.
>>
>>50418405
>Peasants were fucking freeloading shits that only worked one in five days out of the year
From everything I've heard about farm work, this... doesn't seem right.
>>
File: Muderstrike.jpg (68KB, 786x558px) Image search: [Google]
Muderstrike.jpg
68KB, 786x558px
>>50418535
>without "grimdark" twists
>the most popular religion is that of the malicious trickster god
>their clergy hast their own concept of "helping" people.
>inn visitors have to pay for in blood
>all strangers that come to that community strangely go missing
>"Let them eat cake."

Your next line will be, "I was only pretending to be retarded".
>>
>>50418551
Probably because the farmers of today are actually entrepreneurs invested in maximizing profits, and furthermore own truly vast tracts of land, and furthermore have to actually do a lot more shit in the process of raising and harvesting their crops. And even still, farm work is not hard work, nor continuous work, such as industrial and servile labors are.
>>
>>50417852
Everyone rich enough would do that. But then everyone not rich enough would resent that, and burn their houses down. But then everyone rich enough to not want their house burnt down would install automated security devices, and now you've got a dungeon crawl.
>>
>>50418535
>Not grimdark
Did you read the same post that you wrote?
>>
>>50418458
There won't be much story left in the world if everyone is a competent parent.
>>
>>50418569
>>"Let them eat cake."
What? You've never seen a person who doesn't understand that other people might be unable to eat cake when bread runs out? People leading different lifestyles tend to misunderstand each other's problems.
>>the most popular religion is that of the malicious trickster god
>>their clergy hast their own concept of "helping" people.
And? Their clergy is still trying to help people according to the tenets of their god. Just because the religion itself is flawed doesn't mean people are evil.
>>inn visitors have to pay for in blood
How else would such pristine inns be maintained? You are offering a quality luxurious service, it's only fair to demand quality luxurious payment. And not everyone can afford to pay for it. So...
>>all strangers that come to that community strangely go missing
Because otherwise strong tight-knit communities wouldn't be such. As soon as strangers start to come into the village, there are people fascinated by the exotic people, and stories and goods they bring. So they want to leave.
So if you want to have a truly tight-knit community, you have to isolate yourself from the outside world.
>>
File: 1474237512989.png (136KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
1474237512989.png
136KB, 400x266px
>>50418535
>All I did was add depth!
>By completely changing everything!
>>
>>50418577
So, basically, agricultural work is only hellish/backbreaking for the laborers when they're working for someone else's profit as opposed to food for the realm alone? That... well, actually makes sense.
>>
>>50418535
>without "grimdark" twists.

>Inns that require people to pay in LITERAL BLOOD aren't grimdark

You're a fucking retard.
>>
>>50418603
The kind of agricultural labor that medieval peasants were doing is nowhere near hellish/backbreaking, it wasn't even time consuming.
>>
File: BetterNot.jpg (247KB, 1224x1445px) Image search: [Google]
BetterNot.jpg
247KB, 1224x1445px
>>50418600
>So if you want to have a truly tight-knit community, you have to isolate yourself from the outside world.
>My name is anon and I don't understand how a feudal township works.

Nigger, a village in a feudal society would be a fucking spiderweb of family ties and most of the villagers would only ever travel as far as the neighboring town or trade center. For the village to function at all it would have to be a fairly tightly knit community since there's only going to be one hundred people or so.
>>
>>50418602
The point I'm trying to make is that even if everyone is trying to play nice with each other, and turn the other cheek, there is always a (almost definite) possibility of "shit turning sour" by our modern society's standards.
There is no such thing as "grimdark". Even if no one is actively malicious, bad shit will happen.
>>
>>50418600
Stop trying to act like paying in blood to stay at an inn or 'cozy towns that murder all visitors' are still somehow noblebright.

>Bad shit always happens.
That's literally grimdark, you're forcing this into being grimdark.
>>
>>50418631
Maybe it's a difference in crops as well; I might have been thinking too much of American plantations and the like.
>>
>>50418631
This, though since the feudal system was so fucking bad at allocating labor, you'd still have to spend a lot your time not spent farming doing odd job to keep everything in order, gather firewood, gather and cook your own food, mend and make clothes, that sort of bullshit.
>>
>>50418641
Settings aren't reality, you don't need to point out that 'bad things happen'.

Of course bad things happen, that's conflict, that's how you get a game. But this thread is about focusing on stuff that hasn't gone bad.
>>
File: 1410819049221.png (32KB, 271x243px) Image search: [Google]
1410819049221.png
32KB, 271x243px
>>50418535
>without "grimdark" twists
>But everyone knows that the inn visitors have to pay for in blood - sometimes literally.
>>
>>50418661
>Settings aren't reality, you don't need to point out that 'bad things happen'.
And that's what I meant by "adding depth".
By making a setting more realistic, people are more inclined to immerse themselves in it.
>>
>>50418117

Well yeah people got by just fine back then and wouldn't necessarily call their lives wretched on average, but their lives were far more brutal from an objective perspective. Their lives were hard as fuck, but everyone also had more community and purpose, and that can validate all forms of misery within one's life.

I've read up on soldiering from the early modern era (which is admittedly after the "middle ages") and man that life was fucking savage.
>>
>>50418649
>plantation labor is backbreaking
Yet another myth of history. The reason slaves were imported to harvest crops in the US (and there weren't many, only about 400,000 slaves ever made it to American shores compared to the millions in the Caribbean and South America) was strictly due to a shortage in population. This is actually the same reason they were used in the Caribbean and South America, it's just that climate and disease killed people off a lot faster in those places as well.

In the American South the actual labor being done on plantations wasn't terribly difficult or time consuming, indeed the majority of the slave's time was spent tending to his own food crops and animals. That said, the farming done in the South by slaves was not peasant farming, obviously, nor was it the kind of farming that would have ever happened in a feudal society.

Now there are hard agricultural labors, sugarcane and chocolate/cacao harvesting being the chief ones, but those aren't peasant crops, nor are they even feudal crops.
>>
>>50418684
You didn't make the setting more realistic, you just made it darker. Paying with your blood for a room at an inn isn't realistic at all. In reality, you just can't afford the room. A city run by organized crime, but that's still free of fear, is also unrealistic.

You're putting out edgy bullshit and treating it like it's depth, it isn't.
>>
>>50418405
>Peasants were fucking freeloading shits that only worked one in five days out of the year, and they worked at their own pace, without any supervision.
I knew there were a lot of holy days (which happens when you have a saint for literally fucking everything), but working at their own pace? I don't have any sources but considering the lives of literally millions depended on having enough food harvested before winter comes, I doubt they were a bunch of lazy freeloaders working casually. Especially when they didn't have the technology of today to decide when they have "enough".
>>
>>50418732
Okay, sure, you don't like the inns? Let's change it up a bit.
I mean, I wrote it without really thinking about it too much.
>>Innkeepers pride themselves on having clean establishments, good meals and quality entertainment
They have to pay cutthroat protection tax to the organized crime factions (read: local mafia) in order to enjoy providing quality service to its customers. And there are multiple competing factions that-- Well, yknow, mafia, basically, and all the both good and shitty parts that it entails.
>>
>>50418732
>>50418776
Oh, and you don't want to know what happens to those who don't pay. It's a messy business.
>>
>>50418569
>Your next line will be, "I was only pretending to be retarded".
You stole his move!
Well done!
His only choice was to double down on the Down Syndrome.
>>
>>50418776
>I'm not grimdark, but those nice idyllic inns have to pay exorbitant protection fees.
Come the fuck on dude.
>>
File: Now_I_am_the_upset.png (342KB, 512x470px) Image search: [Google]
Now_I_am_the_upset.png
342KB, 512x470px
>>50418684
>more realistic
>By adding Hot Fuzz-tier mudercults to every village

You are quite possibly the most clueless poster on /tg/ right now.
>>
>>50418754
>working at their own pace
Yes, as in, there was no one there to berate them for going slowly or doing things incorrectly or taking the day off.

> I don't have any sources but considering the lives of literally millions depended on having enough food harvested before winter comes
An incredibly simple job that had nothing to do with peasant motivation or responsibility. Peasants primarily fed themselves, not others. Cities fed themselves not with peasant crops, but via hinterland farms which were owned directly by urbanites, operated for profit, and worked by the dregs of urban society for wages.

Villages did not, for the most part, export goods in the medieval period. Excess production was actively destroyed by local clergy and nobility in the form of feast days, to prevent the development of a monied, landowning rural class.
>>
>>50417779
What would you do? Invest in stable business and retire?
>>
>>50418577
I get what you're saying

>farm work is not hard work
But fuck you

You might not believe that there is any reason farm work needs to be hard work, but that has shitall to do with reality.
>>
>>50418821
Yes?

We playing Ryuutama now boy.
>>
>>50418806
How else would they remain nice and idyllic?
Mafia protection still has its benefits of actually, yknow, protection. If you're gonna say to me that 1920s Chicago was "grimdark", then get the fuck out right now.

>>50418808
You are the one here talking about murder cults, not me.
>>
>>50417779
It's called noblebright for a reason.

I like doing this with the standard ''adventurers guild'' JRPG shitstick, re-named ''kings guild'' due to private mercenary companies being banned and to make actual sense out of it as an employment office.
>>
>>50418822
Nigger I'm from western Kansas, I grew up on and worked farms in the summer, I know it's 80% sitting around, 15% doing pointless patrols of the property, and 5% doing anything with crops.
>>
File: 1463680121898.jpg (25KB, 480x433px) Image search: [Google]
1463680121898.jpg
25KB, 480x433px
>>50418832
>How else would they remain nice and idyllic?
By sweeping their floor, cleaning their tables, doing the dishes, and hiring competent help.

Like normal establishments in the service industry.
>>
>>50418815
>Cities fed themselves not with peasant crops, but via hinterland farms which were owned directly by urbanites, operated for profit, and worked by the dregs of urban society for wages.
So in those farms there was a model where the workers of the land were expected to work hard and a have a certain turnover per [period] to feed everyone in the city, right? Or am I wrong here too?

And do you have some sources on this? It's interesting stuff.
>>
>>50418849
Normal establisments that don't deal with giving sleeping arrangements to CN murderhobo adventurers such as your players, you mean?
>>
>>50418843
>all farms are exactly like western Kansas
>>
>>50418704
While I agree with your point about the difference between structured agricultural labor and the labor of feudal serfs.

I disagree about it just being a simple shortage of population. The south while in the early period much less populous than the north maintained a fairly good population, and until the mass importation of slaves it had an about even population with the laborers. The real problem was no one (who owned even a scrap of property) wanted the work since it was shitty, thankless, and didn't pay well. Slaves (and indentured servants) unlike a free man don't really get to complain, and they don't get to ask for a living wage so they were preferred. When it became near impossible to get idiots to sign up as indentured servants anymore they just switched to slaves wholesale. The work itself wasn't inherently bad (well I have heard stories of people getting nicotine poisoning from tobacco harvesting, but I'm not sure about their veracity), but since a slave who is not worked to their full potential is a bad investment they worked them as hard as they could and as they were property they generally treated them pretty shittilly.
>>
>>50418832
>How would they remain nice and idyllic
In the real world, most inns are fairly nice, and this thread is supposed to be nicer then the real world.

>Implying you weren't talking about murder cults.
Okay Innsmouth.

You don't need to make everything dark to have conflict, or have an interesting setting.
>>
>>50418870
My parties have never actually muder-hoboed a tavern, actually.

Even the minotaur barbarian who's trying to start a cult doesn't randomly kill people. He even gave a bunch of his food to the homeless once.
>>
File: 1478366935108.jpg (160KB, 805x645px) Image search: [Google]
1478366935108.jpg
160KB, 805x645px
>>50418776
you're missing the point
first off, making things bad Just To Be Bad doesn't necessarily add 'depth', doesn't make a setting innately interesting, and nor does it actually make something you'll want to play in or care about - which is why this thread was started, in fact.
spoiler alert: you can have something good in a setting without that good just being a thin layer of wallpaper over a bastion of rusted shit.
second, nearly your entire post was dull and boring edge, the inn thing is just a great example of how hilariously little you're thinking any of this through, and how hilariously little you're actually reading what you're writing

>>50418832
>Yes, and when all strangers that come to that community strangely go missing. Because fuck "the others", amirite?
lel
>>
>>50418849
>By sweeping their floor, cleaning their tables, doing the dishes, and hiring competent help. Like normal establishments in the service industry.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA....

I've worked restaurants. This literally only happens when it's the time of the year when health inspectors show up, if the owners think they can get away with it.

Have you seen Kitchen Nightmares?
>>
>>50418891
>You don't need to make everything dark to have conflict, or have an interesting setting.
Yeah.
Or to be "detailed"
>>
File: 1385491888914.jpg (44KB, 306x328px) Image search: [Google]
1385491888914.jpg
44KB, 306x328px
>>50418899
>Have you seen the worst possible examples they could find punctuated by staged drama?
>>
>>50418899
Anon asked how to keep a restaurant idyllic. I didn't say that most restaurants were.
>>
>>50418857
>So in those farms there was a model where the workers of the land were expected to work hard and a have a certain turnover per [period] to feed everyone in the city, right?
No, it was wage based labor performed seasonally, much like modern and classical planting and harvesting. As in those cases, the actual owner of the property, a merchant in the city, would rent it to a single manager, who would then hire people to do the actual labor of harvesting and planting at the appropriate time of the year. The medieval period was basically a time in which the Western world was run by idiots who knew nothing about production chains, labor, and the economy, except for cities, who had rights to mostly do things their own way because that is how they were profitable, and feudal lords meddling in it only served to make it unprofitable.

As for sources, I would recommend Georges Duby's "Rural economy and country life in the medieval West".
>>
>>50418899
My grandfather owned a fish and chip shop, literally the entire kitchen is a greasetrap.

He still spent 1+ hours after and before opening to clean the place down to a fucking Mirror's sheen.

Just because your life is a cycle of endless depression and let downs doesn't mean everyone out there is as pathetic as you.
>>
>>50417779
We all know that history, Seibah.
In the end you and your knights sacrify a bunch of peasants to win a war, and people get angry.
People strt saying you aren't human, or capable of understanding human emotions.
Comes in your son, who is mad at you due to you filling to acnowledge him as your child.

Several of your knights and peasantry throw their lot with him, and cue Civil War.

You kill him in top a mountain of corpses of knights who were once your friends. People who once laughted, ate, drunk and fighted besides you.
And then your son mortally wounds you, his dead body brought to motion by a curse laid by his mother. To strike down the one who slayed him.

And so you die.
>>
>>50417779
Good kings are worse than Bad Kings.
They perpetuate the idea that monarchies are a good idea. Then fucker after fucker seats in the throne
and gets handed unlimited power so he can go full primae noctis everyday on everyone asses, while peasants still daydream about the good days of good old king failing to notice is the system the one that is actually raping them.
>>
>>50417779
> Adventurers are employed by the king and nobles to help make the kingdom better for everyone
> They're paid fairly and given access to princesses
>>
>>50418274
This is why i like high-magic settings.

It's just powerfull individuals duking it out on who gets to rule and most people are left alone or have some means to defend them selves.
>>
File: Treasure Planet.jpg (109KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Treasure Planet.jpg
109KB, 1024x768px
>>50417779
I too unironically enjoy that kind of shit. As >>50417810 said, it would be refreshing.

Old school, party of heroes goes out and slays a Lich to prevent gay marriage. Or something. Just true blue hero stuff.
>>
>>50418949
>T. American who doesn't understand Monarchy.
>>
File: seibah.jpg (54KB, 500x279px) Image search: [Google]
seibah.jpg
54KB, 500x279px
>>50418936
It was, through, a beautiful dream.
>>
>>50418887
He's absolutely right though. Modern farming is super fucking easy in terms of labor, if a farmer does work these days it's with his head and not with his back.

>Inb4 but what about third world dirt farming, that's hard isn't it?
Not really, besides maybe ploughing, the only hard part is surviving when nature decides that you are in for a drought, insect swarm, or something else that will wreck the crops you've been sitting around twiddling your thumbs watching grow.
>>
>>50417779
I'm actually kind of working on a seting where that's the case for one of the countries. People are for the most part well off due to economic and political reforms, as well as a commoner-turned-archduke keeping the nobles in line and giving the peasants more rights.

The church, while spread mostly continent wide, is still more concerned with evangelizing and caring for the poor at the lower, common clergy level at least.

/blogpost
>>
Ok, so how do you all like to do things?
>Trolls, fairies and walking skeletons are the everyday sight in your cities.
>Elf in a human city are going to invite all sorts of curious stares, it's a rare thing.
>>
>>50418999
Both.
>>
>>50417779
Funny fact, middle ages weren't as bad as most people think. most people think grimdark settings are the one's closest to society, but the fact is...The middle ages were glorified as the apex of human devotion to god during the end of the renascence and a golden age, as a counter to Lutheran reforms and such. And therefore, when church start to lose power and the Age of Enlightenment kicked in, a bunch of scientist with no interest in history and humanities and a bone to pick with the church, saw all that we did not had in the middle ages and had now, and began writing the myth we now know as the 'dark ages'. They specially pointed their barrels at clergy and nobility, making the medieval church and nobles be seem in a must worth light than they deserved. In the victorian age there was an attempt to fight back and paint the middle ages as the opposite, as much better than it actually was. But that was mostly among the wealthy who could afford paintings, books and to go to the theater, so it didn't stuck nearly as much as the Age of Darkness bit. Medieval became then synonym for barbaric, savage and lawless.

>tl;dr: Middle ages weren't nearly as bad as we thought. Enlightment scientist painted it grimdark, victorian dandies painted it noble bright, it was actually a fairly mild period.
>>
>>50418974
Isn't that basically the Catholic Church after the they stopped letting bishop's sons inherit?

Shady politicking only really coming up if you want to move among archbishops and cardinals.
>>
>>50418962
Meh, it could basically boil down to: Farm work is not hard work on a well run farm.
>>
>>50419015
It also didn't help when most of the Scientists during the middle ages were the Clergy.
>>
>>50418999
I particulary prefer everything 'supernatural' to be rare and the average person believes but is uncertain about it's existence. Nobles and worldly travelers are likely to see one or two in their lives or hear first hand witness but won't be sure about 'everything'. Many stuff are indeed just legends.

Adventurers tend to run into those more often because they actively seek them.
>>
>>50419015
>"Enlightenment"
Friendly reminder that this is the only era in human history to have named itself. Even as a republican I have to acknowledge this
>>
>>50419042
Well I'm sure if your farm is the worst run one in the country it would be hard, but so would doing any work in any poorly managed environment.
>>
>>50419069
I prefer the exact opposite, because what you propose sounds boring as fuck and limits the scope of the setting dramatically.
>>
File: a7c.gif (1MB, 257x387px) Image search: [Google]
a7c.gif
1MB, 257x387px
>>50418157
> In order to forge the alliance, there will be interracial demihuman\human marriages which will be consummated on raised platforms, cheered on by the spectating crowd.
>>
>>50418346
It flew pretty well, and it was able to hook up to the bombers easily.
The main problem was range issues with the bombers hauling fighters around with them, for escort against interceptors armed with long-range missiles, and against surface-to-air missiles.
The entire concept of bomber escort was obsolete, so parasite fighters were resigned to the scrapheap with that.
>>
>>50417779
>There's a king over a centralized nation state and not just a pile of baronies
>Nobles giving any shits about peasantry except when the rent is late
>Farmers getting as few as two meals a day isn't worse than the actual high middle ages
>Everyone knowing every bit of gossip about you is "cozy"
>Cities are sanitary, always have enough work to go around for the urban poor, and "bustle" in a good way outside of designated trade fairs and religious holidays
>You've gone through a city without buying overpriced "peppercorns" made of clay and mustard, or being hit by a ring-dropping scam
>There are guards in service of the city and not in service of distinct powers within the city
>Ones that enforce objectively codified laws rather than protecting the interests of their party in particular
>Inns are remotely common
>The clergy aren't worldly, don't engage in concubinage or anything, even if they're far from the central authority of the church
>Clergy's purpose is charity and maintaining a community center like this is the southeastern US

>>50418117
It was a mixed bag. Villages often had more self-governance than people give them credit for, for example. Under many systems food insecurity wasn't as big a deal as people make it out to be unless there was drought or something. Modern people work a great deal more hours than premodern agrarian people did, who in turn worked more hours than non-agrarian people did.

But there are also a lot of "comfy" anachronisms like inns. And a tendency to forget shit like the prevalence of premodern couch-surfing among landless laborers. Or to forget how plague and fire prone cities were before we put a lot of time and effort into solving those logistical problems.
>>
>>50419055
That is true. Funny thing, that was true for a long time. The basic argument of genetics which would be vital to define evolution as a scientific argument, actually came from a priest and his scientific study with peas.

The notion that science and religion are always opposing forces is mostly a modern concept that feeds way to hard into the church prosecution of alchemy and a beef between pope and galileo to say all scientists were hunted down during the dark ages. The fact is, aside from forbidding studies with dead bodies (for their use in 'necromantic rituals' and withcraft), the church was actually a patron of science. Their dislike for alchemy came from it being a mostly jewish art.
>>
>>50418999
>Trolls & fairies:
Rare and unusual will get stares or worse if the country is enemies with trolls.
>walking skeletons:
sign of heavy magic and would be feared; not suitable for most civilized communities
>Elf:
Unusual to see in a city, but not overly so. Elves that go out and mingle with other races tend to more friendly than others.
>>
>>50419080
I respect you choice friend. And even enjoy the opposite on occasion to add variety to my gaming.
>>
>>50418958
Wasn't Churchill the one who said that the British owed more to the madness of king John than to all the good deeds of all the good kings together?
>>
>>50419117
Churchill also liked Pigs better than Cats and Dogs because they are the most belligerent cunts on the farmyard.

He was a good Wartime Prime Minister, this does not make Winston Churchill the expert on the Monarchy.
>>
>>50419017
Well, the setting is less medieval Europe and more early Modern Ages Europe, where the Higher Clergy were absolutely involved with politics, i.e. Richelieu type dudes.

I still wanted to have some happiness and comfiness in it, but times are growing a bit harder with religious war in the horizon.
>>
>>50419117
Churchill is a hammer. He was great in a time of nailing, but he is far from a multi use tool.
>>
>>50418590
I think a purge game could be pretty cool.
>A bunch of mercs hired to protect a gated community
>Almost everyone has left you are mostly there to prevent robbery and vandalism
>Technically authorized to use lethal force but the community would prefer you don't kill people, after all, think of the children
>Have to patrol the neighborhood and drive off various people while avoiding lethal force as much as possible
alternatively
>A bunch of mentally unstable people
>Decide to do some purging
>Everyone has a secret goal (kidnapping your oneitis so she can see how much you love her, killing someone in particular you hate, stealing a ton of money, raping as many women as you can)
>Must try to accomplish your goal during the purge without getting killed
>If you wander off alone you will probably be shot by someone defending themselves or by someone else purging
>Have to use stealth and clever tactics since most people are highly prepared

Honestly if the purge had anything good come from it, it would be mentally unstable people and felons being gunned down by people protecting their lives and property.
>>
>>50419164
Everyone is John: Purge Edition
>>
>>50419099
That's because for the longest time the only way to get a real education (if you weren't a noble or from the very small upper merchant classes) was to send your kid to join the clergy, so most educated men were almost invariably involved with the church to some degree. That being the case the church wasn't so much a patron of science, but the only way most people could even gain access and exposure to knowledge and ideas which are a prerequisite to the ideas of science.

Also in the case of Mendel you neglected to mention that once the head priest who supported Mendel's research died, the new guy shit his shit down and told him to focus on being a priest.
>>
>>50417986

I disagree. By creating a mostly-stable, mostly positive "platform" under your cities, you can ratchet the tension up even higher when something *does* break.

If everything's already horrible, where's there to go? What's one more plague or one more invasion or one more coup? What good, narratively, is a famine if people would have killed each other for a potato anyway?

Start with a working machine, though, and then badly break part of it and all of a sudden you've got two compelling questions: "how do we fix the machine?" and 'how do we deal with the machine being broken until then?." Which is going to give you a much better launchpad for stories than "everything is shit, but this shit over here is just a little shittier."
>>
>>50418405
>One in five days
Pretty sure that's just what labor they owed on their lord's fields. Many would work their own strips as well. Seasonality also cuts into agricultural labor. Then there are non agricultural tasks like the manufacture of tools or building a new house every few years because there's less specialization within the economy.

Also landless and land-poor peasants worked for cash, goods, or access to housing under a lot of systems. Especially systems with a lot of sheep grazing or swine herding. Shepherds and swineherds were pretty economically integrated into both agrarian land economies and city markets where they had access to both.
>>
>>50419174
Honestly that would work well too. If you are purging for the sake of random killing and/or raping you are probably highly unstable. Everyone is John actually makes sense for that.
>>
>>50419069
>I particulary prefer everything 'supernatural' to be rare and the average person believes but is uncertain about it's existence.
I kinda do this, but it's more of a rampant ignorance.
>Dragons are rare, but most people don't know this because they think wyverns grow into dragons.
>Everybody knows somebody's cousin who can cast a heal charm or a fertility blessing, but most people wouldn't know a wizard of they saw one.
>Elves are believed to have various strange physical attributes that all conflict because the y use enchantments and don't care enough to correct anyone.
>Orcs are believed to love eating babies when, in fact, they only eat babies if there is literally nothing else available.
>>
>>50419176
Not trying to paint priest are enthusiasts of science and enlightened (haha) beings. Just want to point out to those who don't know that it wasn't a very clear cut line where all priests wanted to hunt all scientists and all scientists were atheists with a hateboner for religion. It's true the church prefered theology and philosophy oriented by christian dogmas than the natural sciences, but they were still responsible for many scientific developments, and the monk copyists actually preserved texts on medicine and treaties on logic by greek and roman philosophers that would've been lost to time without the shelter they had in monasteries and the hard work of man producing manual copies.
>>
>>50418405
>Of course this commercial economy of money, prosperity, and progress predates feudalism, because feudalism is itself perhaps the worst, most utility-destroying, anti-economy in human history, a consequence of illiterate barbarian warriors squatting on Roman factory farms and having no idea what to do with them.

It's cute you think Rome wasn't a Pseudo-Feudalistic economy bro.
>>
>>50419209
>orcs are believed to love eating babies
>this is mostly because the word Bey'bis means 'Sweet pastry covered in thin layer of ashes' and is an orc delicacy
>without a human word for it, they say Bey'bis
>Nobody makes them away from their homeland, so travelling orcs and mercenaries always say things like "Krunk hungry. krunk gonna go home and eat a score of bey'bis."
"Gronk's with bey'bis taste delicious. Gronk always make wife do many bey'bis."
>>
>>50419082
That's a bit much.
>>
>>50418843
>Nigger I'm from western Kansas
From a modern, mechanised farm where you sell the crops for profit and specialise in certain crops.

Instead of having a tiny strip that has to feed you, your wife, the 4-8 kids that you had to help with the farm work, a cow for milk, 2-4 pigs, and a couple of chickens.
You sleep in the same room as the animals, for warmth. Your staple diet is vegetable stew, thickened with flour, and with bits of salt pork added from the pig you killed last xmas. Dessert is strips of mashed and dried berries that the kids picked from the public hedgerows when they were in season. If you attend church every sunday and don't sin too much, you might get some free food from your local noble.
Same shit, day in day out, make sure you have enough to survive the winter, and remember that if you get hit by a wagon you're going to get ill from an infection and lack of nutrition, and the farm will fail and kill your family.
>>
>>50419225
It's cute that you think saying incredibly dumb shit makes you look intelligent.
>>
>>50419219
Oh alright, fair enough then. I guess I jumped the gun so sorry about that, I just get tired of people insisting that the church took either extreme stance on "science".
>>
>>50419255
>Instead of having a tiny strip that has to feed you, your wife, the 4-8 kids that you had to help with the farm work, a cow for milk, 2-4 pigs, and a couple of chickens.
This is a lot easier than
>modern, mechanised farm where you sell the crops for profit and specialise in certain crops.

Stupid fucking urbanites, you all have no idea how farming works.
>>
>>50418699

A large portion of the "brutality," though, actually stems from a lack of technological access, not from mindset or circumstance. Vaccinations, antibiotics, blood testing, and anesthetic surgery are much bigger factors than anything inherit in the setting's people themselves.
>>
>>50419219
>It's true the church prefered theology and philosophy oriented by christian dogmas than the natural sciences
Was there even a difference between the three in the middle ages? Wasn't a 'philosopher' someone who did all of those things? We have for example Aquinas writing about the Ten Commandments and their relationship to the New Testament, writing commentaries to Aristotle (including Aristotle's works on physics) and the Just War doctrine. For those keeping track that's theology, philosophy, natural science and political commentary.
>>
>>50419278

Well gee willikers Don Jones I just fucking bet you could easily survive on the caloric intake of a serf farmer, let alone what feeble effort you would make with the same tools and crops.
>>
>Who had it harder?
Would it be better if we separated this conversation into exertion, hours, and creature comforts? Because premodern farming was heavier on exertion (albeit on a way more sporadic and occasional basis than people think), lighter on hours, and in terms of creature comforts really depended on how much land you had access to.

Also, if we're talking about hellish premodern jobs, why not tanners and miners?
>>
>>50419255
No one said present life was fun or exciting, but none of that discounts the fact that it doesn't take all that much labor day to day to maintain that small strip of land and the animals you raise.
>>
>>50418962

Mechanization reduces the amount of people needed, but it doesn't necessarily reduce the amount of effort from each person. Pre-modern forms of farming did require more man hours, but since it required them in roughly the same short time frames of planting and harvest the solution was to devote more people to farm labor, not in increasing the amount of labor for each person.
>>
>>50417779
I am running a setting like this. The only catch is that this comfy kingdom is balancing on a precarious peace held up by its charismatic king. I plan to kill him off, and when the players see everything go to shit, hopefully they appreciate what they had, and have a cause to fight for.
>>
>>50418999

Every city is different. A trading town where the trollish, elvish, and human lands meet would be so diverse no one would bat an eye about close to anything. Cities that have a tradition of employing necromantic or construct labor/military would be less concerned than cities where such things are considered unsafe or taboo, and so on.
>>
>>50419017
Those were always sore spots because those guys were often given to it by the nobles, thusly they gave their buddies the Bishop's seat, so you had some medieval nigger shitting up the place

TL;DR free investiture is horse dicks
>>
>>50419321
Without modern pesticides, so it needs to be weeded and have pests picked off the crops.
Birds have to be driven off it to stop them eating the crops.
A row takes serious time to plough with the ox, and the rocks have to be picked out by hand.
Food has to be prepared and preserved, the house has to be repaired and maintained, as do any fences you're responsible for. The hedgerows don't maintain themselves either, and you have to clean out the animals and spread their shit, and yours, over the fields, along with what little waste there is from the food preparation.
You have to get water, too, usually from a river.

Do you not study history in kansas?
>>
>>50419164
>avoiding lethal force
But that's the *one* day they can just shoot anyone here without problem. Plus, how better to discourage roving hordes than by having a few hobo heads on a spike?
>>
>>50419412
And all this labor amounts to about 1/5 of your days throughout the course of the year.
>>
>>50419426
>a few hobo heads on a spike
They aren't hobos. they're the local community out for vengeance, and crimes are legal, not forgotten.

Kill someone's kid and they come back for you next year.

>>50419441
No, because it has to be done every fucking day. The ox doesn't shit one day out of five, the crops and birds don't stop, and the roof is always in need of more straw and mud.
I'm not arguing further with you; it's obvious that all the HFCS in your diet has rotted your brain.
>>
>>50419377

See, that's how you do it. Now the big problem *feels* like the big problem, instead of getting lost in the shuffle.
>>
>>50419460
>80% of your time is not occupied with the trivial process of feeding yourself
>THAT MEANS EVERY DAY IS BACKBREAKING LABOR IN PISS AND MUD
Dumbass Britbong urbanite, make sure you prep Achmed for your mom tonight.
>>
>>50419426
>But that's the *one* day they can just shoot anyone here without problem. Plus, how better to discourage roving hordes than by having a few hobo heads on a spike?
>Implying rich assholes would have reasonable demands
>Implying half the town wouldn't be stupid humanitarians who think that the people attacking their town are just poor oppressed minorities driven to do this by the white man

The idea isn't that you would go to jail its that the town is full of detached idiots who think "oh just shoot him in the leg" or "just use a taser and pepper spray." They probably would still pay you if you kill people, but don't expect to be hired back next year. Also a third idea

>A group of children with dangerously negligent parents
>Parents plan a vacation to the Bahamas during the purge
>Forget their children (or "forget" their children)
>Children must protect themselves from hordes of murderers and pedophiles via home alone style antics
>>
>>50419441
Your 1/5 figure is incorrect, and more accurately reflects the work done on the lord's land than the work done on the peasant's land (or the work done on richer peasants' lands to make ends meet).
>>
>>50419460

You two are basically arguing the difference between 1/5 days and 1/5 of working hours. Yes, it's a meaningful difference, but since each of you are correct in your own lens its non-productive.

Farm labor requires several weeks of full-time labor at the start and end of a season but only small maintenance work in between the two, even in communities that held to each family works the lord's farm one day a week, it was still just a day of maintenance work. You can't grow crops faster by farming harder.
>>
>>50419494
Uneducated americunt detected.
> Only have to work one day out of five for my lord
> Never mind about subsistence farming
> Or maintenance
> Or being so dirt-poor you have to sleep with the animals for warmth

I'm pretty sure your parents were related, Kansas being Kansas. That, or your gene pool blew away with the soil you were too stupid to maintain.
>>
>>50419506
I thought we said rich gated community, not dumbass middle class whites.
>>
File: 1445711577073[1].jpg (20KB, 255x256px) Image search: [Google]
1445711577073[1].jpg
20KB, 255x256px
>>50419518
>I'm pretty sure your parents were related
Incest is more common among "British" pakis than among Amerilards though. About half of their marriages are between cousins.
>>
>>50419412
>Pests and weeds
Besides making up for losses (something you would already plan for) pests do very little for labor. Weeding is labor, but it is only really important before the crop is fully established at the beginning of the growing season.
>Birds
Again this is restricted to a small time window the end of the growing season and just before harvest.
>takes a while to plough
Granted, but driving an ox isn't all that much physical labor.
>Rocks
Rocks don't spontaneously appear in a field anon, this is a one time thing and not really an issue for a farmer who has been farming the same allotment of land for the past two generations.
>fertilizing the fields
This is not something you would do every day, or even every week. More something you would do during fallowing periods. Even medieval peasants knew not to just shovel shit onto crops.
>water
You really think that peasants would spend the entire day ferrying a bucket of water back and fort? Most of the time they relied on natural rainfall, only supplementing it if absolutely necessary because of the difficulty of doing so without a system of irrigation.

>Food has to be prepared and preserved, the house has to be repaired and maintained, as do any fences you're responsible for.
That's not directly related to farming though.
>>
>>50419199
anon is off his rocker if he thinks serfdom was anything but chattel slavery with people getting whipped to death for procrastination

not every place was as idyllic as england when it came to feudalism
>>
>>50419525
Hollywood actors are dumb as shit and are pretty fucking rich.
>What will my three African children think of their brethren being gunned down for just trying to support their families?
>>
>>50419560
>Chattel slavery
Eh. It doesn't frequently go that far. But tilling bad soil with an early model plow is no picnic. Especially if you don't own or can't rent animals.

There were a few jobs that were much more frequently much more nightmarish. Like mining.
>>
>>50419321
You can only stare at your turnips so long before you understand that they're not gonna get up and run away
>>
>>50419604
I thought during those periods mining was actually pretty poorly formalized. I remember a documentary about how a lot of the ore actually came from near surface deposits mined by freelancers who would search for ore rich rocks on the surface and any possible veins near by, running impromptu mines like the kind you might see in the third world today.

Probably wrong though since I barely know shit about the subject, but I was genuinely under the impression that surface deposits of ore were much easier to come by back then.
>>
>>50419604
It got worse if your lord spoke a different language and worshiped another religion

you went to church and got to listen to some eldritch script spoken at you
and basically had to take their word for it that
whatever their laws were coming directly from god since teaching latin to peasants either wasn't done or was explicitly illegal
>>
File: 669505_PhalArgos.jpg (52KB, 500x317px) Image search: [Google]
669505_PhalArgos.jpg
52KB, 500x317px
>>50418179
So classical greek hoplites? I mean they only took 5% casualties on the losing side normally.
>>
>>50419509
>You can't grow crops faster by farming harder.
Not with that attitude. Grainlord class when?
>>
>>50418430
you need to kill yourself, my man
>>
>>50418274
>your tooth got fucked up
>say hello to pincers

>got your hand cut while working the fields?
>tetanus here we go

>you homosexual?
>oh nigga what the fuck

>you want to have sex without having children?
>maybe if you're sterile

>you want to move out of your home where you live in a single room with three generations of your family?
>kek, good one

Seriously, we have it so much better it isn't even funny.
>>
>>50419627
Most of what I know about premodern mining is from the Classical world. I've actually had some difficulty finding good sources from medieval Europe. I don't doubt that it might have been more loosely organized by then. Do you remember the name of the documentary?

>>50419672
Illiteracy isn't really a great indicator of workload or how economically exploited a group is. Also depending on how long the church had access to you and/or how far out in the sticks you were there could be some pretty heterodox lay-religion.
>>
>>50419753
Yes, here I think this was it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3rjjpuhCLI

I think just based on skimming through it that I probably remembered wrong and this was more about the iron trade in a specific place, and not reflective of the general state of mining. So yeah, sorry for misrepresenting it.
>>
>It is a costal/river mechantile city that has complete or some independence from the surrounding kingdoms
>It is a democracy with abundant racial diversity with a lack of racism or social/economic inequality
>Every possible organization has a guild hall here with the major one as an "adventurers guild"
>The core/GM book recommends this city for the start of a new campaign

Make it stop.
>>
>>50419741
>our grandparents didn't have aching teeth pulled
>you'd be dead sober for the operation

>family guy jokes are history

>homosexual encounters weren't common among the clergy
>homosexuality as identity had happened yet

>pulling out and timing shit right don't reduce the odds of pregnancy at all
>men didn't predominantly sow their wild oats with older widows
>women didn't have better access to large sibling groups and professional wet nurses to aid in child rearing

>if you weren't the first son, you stayed with your family rather than couch surfing as paid labor no matter how poor you were
>rich peasants with a big enough inheritance to split couldn't build big enough or numerous enough houses
>>
>>50417779
I blame GRRM. ASOIAF did to fantasy what Watchmen did to superheroes.
>>
>>50418405

T. a capitalist apologist dredging up long defunct positivist notions in a desperate attempt to fashion some sort of basic fig leaf to cover the shame of the depradations of the free market.
>>
>>50419871
>capitalist apologist
|
|>
|
Good gag, lad, wonder who could be behind this post.
>>
File: v007.jpg (117KB, 717x373px) Image search: [Google]
v007.jpg
117KB, 717x373px
>>50419871
>actually defending feudalism
>>
>>50419862
>GRRM
>ASOIAF
Did you hit the wrong keys on your keyboard or something?
>>
>>50419905
George R R Martin
A Song of Ice and Fire
>>
>>50419829
Um, recommended cities like this are intended for new players/GMs who probably don't want to spend an assload of time on worldbuilding and likely wouldn't even know how. They're samey for a reason.

Also, you can't tell me that, say, Ankh-Morpork wouldn't be a genuinely good starting point for a Discworld campaign.
>>
>>50419913
Ohhh, that thing that that popular tv show is about. Right sorry should have realized.
>>
File: beatboxing.gif (4MB, 427x320px) Image search: [Google]
beatboxing.gif
4MB, 427x320px
>>50419905
>this smug a tone
>this dumb a comment
My sides. Thank you anon, you've brightened my day
>>
>>50418430
Holy fuck, this is the most retarded post ive seen all week
>>
>>50418822
Modern farms are not medieval farms. A serfs farm/piece of land today would be called a large garden at best. Huge farms with a single farmer are a new thing.
>>
>>50419925
If creators go out of their way to make these vast worlds but then recommends every new GM to go to the city with the least potential for conflict that resembles a hub city from an MMO it is doing players a great diservice.
>>
>>50419973
>I refuse to understand the concept of "entry level" even after having it explained to me
>>
>>50419862
Nah, it's just the case of "something is popular, let's all start doing this" or "I like [thing], i want to do my own [thing]".
Probably the same thing as the rise of isekai novels or all those twilight clones.
People just need to broaden their inspiration sources a little beyond mainstream.
>>
>>50417779
Noblebright can be fun, as long as it's not -too- saccharine. The rough outline you give is definitely the best way to go about it.
>>
>>50419680
Well historically a troop was defined as being obliterated if it lost 40-50% of its strength. Minor losses in battles were the norm.
>>
>>50420264
Don't forget that also casualties weren't often deaths, but reductions in fighting strength, so even those small numbers are not actual death tolls.
>>
>>50420136
But that's what I'm saying. When something hits a certain level of popularity, it spawns imitators trying to cash in on it. Most of these imitators only copy surface-level aspects of the work while missing the point of what made it popular in the first place. With both Watchmen and GoT that aspect was the darker tone, hence Rob Liefeld in the 90's and all the the grimderp fantasy we're getting today
>>
>>50418179
Now that's interesting, because the dynamic of warfare in a world where magic both exists and is a relatively common thing, and legendary heroes are up and walking around the cities on their off-time, would be vastly different.

There's a really good book series, and there's a group of soldiers from an empire which spearheads this philosophy. They find themselves on a continent with an empire that didn't, and are asked to train the soldiers of that empire.

They are absolutely flabbergasted to find that the army they are training has taken 90% casualties five times, and 100% casualties once, and basically accept their role as chaff that gets nuked by the wizards so that their own wizards can nuke the enemy chaff, and whoever's army is completely annihilated wins, no fucks given about total losses or friendly fire. To paraphrase the next part:
>'What the actual fuck are you doing? Why don't you just kill all the wizards?'
>'Because then the enemy wizards would annihilate us, sir'
>'Then parlay about it beforehand, and make sure you ALL agree to butcher them ALL! You aren't fighting battles, you're creating graveyards!'

The empire's strategy is pretty much exactly that - Small elite units with martials, healers and wizards all mixed in, which fight other small elite units, or absolutely kick the shit out of full-scale armies because full-scale armies aren't designed to fight people who can whirl across the battlefield slaughtering dozens of people in seconds. Throw in some guys who are essentially lone hero units, and that's how warfare should take place in a true fantasy setting.
>>
>>50420320
And so, we reached a point there maiking things the OP way>>50417779 became a cool subversion of genre.
>>
>>50420372
Ironic, isn't it
>>
>>50420322
>true fantasy setting.
But anon, there is no "true" fantasy setting, just because H-bomb level magic is present in one setting doesn't mean it's common to all fantasy settings.

You also neglect the possibility of creating a "fantasy Geneva convention" or "NWC" and such.
>>
>>50418179
That's the most adorable siege, witch burning and execution I've ever seen.
>>
>>50420322
Isn't a big part of why wars tend to be so much smaller today because improvements in technology and training mean you don't need as many combat troops to achieve the same goal? I feel like you could totally justify this.
>>50420372
>>50420383
Pretty much. Likewise, there was a period in the late 90's/early 00's where making superheroes who weren't psychotic angst-ridden murderers was almost revolutionary
>>
>>50420455
>Pretty much. Likewise, there was a period in the late 90's/early 00's where making superheroes who weren't psychotic angst-ridden murderers was almost revolutionary
Honestly, they still struggle with basic characterization and the like.
>>
>>50419862
>ASOIAF did to fantasy what Watchmen did to superheroes.
What did Watchmen do to superheroes then? I was living under a rock when that came out.
>>
>>50420455
Eh, not really. Most of the reason "wars" are so small today is that there are very few actual wars. I mean there are conflicts, but they are either targeted proxy wars by developed nations, or small unorganized civil wars by developing nations.

The death tolls of actual total war these days would be astronomical. I mean if you look at the death toll trend from the medieval era, on to the last real full scale conflict (WWII) the death toll rose dramatically. There is little reason to believe that the trend has reversed.
>>
>>50420574
If i see it correctly, after watchmen there was increase in edgy and grimderp plots among the cape comics.
>>
>>50420634
Watchmen was a deconstruction of the super hero genre, but all its imitators got out of it was "edgy=mature"
>>
>>50420574
Pic related. Read up on the dark age of comic books. TVTropes has a pretty good explanation. Watchmen wasn't entirely responsible for it (Frank Miller was a major influence on those guys as well, and general media trends were heading in that direction at the time), but it did a lot
>>
>>50420634
Remember, in the real world it's not the "evil" who win, nor is it the "good". It's always and only the Jews.
>>
>>50420898
Well, geeze, sounds like I should try and be on their side.
>>
>>50419529
I noticed that's not a no.
>>
>>50419473
One of my players stands to inherit the throne, but they're off playing adventurer, running from responsibility
If they don't come claim it, their megalomaniac uncle is gonna go ham on the people the player just learned to love
>>
>>50420322

>The empire's strategy is pretty much exactly that - Small elite units with martials, healers and wizards all mixed in, which fight other small elite units, or absolutely kick the shit out of full-scale armies because full-scale armies aren't designed to fight people who can whirl across the battlefield slaughtering dozens of people in seconds. Throw in some guys who are essentially lone hero units, and that's how warfare should take place in a true fantasy setting.

...Knights? That means that magic and adventurers actually change warfare very little from a medieval prospective.
>>
>>50422366
That doesn't describe knights at all.
>>
>>50419898
>Defending Capitalism
>>
File: v008.jpg (95KB, 716x251px) Image search: [Google]
v008.jpg
95KB, 716x251px
>>50422524
>still defending feudalism
>>
>>50420574

>I was living under a rock in the mid-eighties
Don't lie now, it was a glam-rock, wasn't it?
>>
>>50422462

>full-scale armies aren't designed to fight people who can whirl across the battlefield slaughtering dozens of people in seconds

A knight is basically the reverse of that in that he could take on a dozen men singlehandedly because he's impervious to their weapons and imparted enough force in his lance that he probably /could/ slaughter a dozen people in seconds in a charge. Non-knights existed as chaff to distract the knights from fighting other knights so they could better achieve their objectives.

Granted, with the importance being on offense as opposed to defense, battles would probably be resolved much swifter as they're less about brawls and more about which wizard can lock onto the other wizard and fire his arcane-guided missiles off first.
>>
>>50422610
>A knight is basically the reverse of that in that he could take on a dozen men singlehandedly because he's impervious to their weapons and imparted enough force in his lance that he probably /could/ slaughter a dozen people in seconds in a charge. Non-knights existed as chaff to distract the knights from fighting other knights so they could better achieve their objectives.
Are you high or you are just stupid?
>>
>>50418551

I think he got his "one in five" argument confused. That might even accurately describe the total number of days in the year that they really "work," because agricultural economies cause a lot of seasonal unemployment. But they better work their asses off when they need to or they won't have food to survive the winter.

>>50418577

This must be how truly rich and spoiled brats view labor.
>>
The grimdark twist is living in an oppressive state where the people work themselves for the benefit of the bourgeoisie instead of enjoying the fruits of their own labor.
>>
File: KSOntXS.jpg (165KB, 778x658px) Image search: [Google]
KSOntXS.jpg
165KB, 778x658px
>>50418405
>>50418577
>>
>>50422955
It's not oppressive if the people don't believe it to be so.
>>
>>50417779
Where's the conflict? The king's brother tried to make a name for himself in a war, was almost killed on the battlefield and assumed dead but instead nursed back to health by a cabal of ninjas and now he's come for revenge on his brother and the nobility cadre that betrayed him on the battlefield? They were only interested in insuring there would be no inheritance conflict between the two of them and so they tried to get him killed.
>>
>>50423078
>My gift to industry is the genetically engineered worker, or Genejack. Specially designed for labor, the Genejack's muscles and nerves are ideal for his task, and the cerebral cortex has been atrophied so that he can desire nothing except to perform his duties. Tyranny, you say? How can you tyrannize someone who cannot feel pain?
>>
>>50417779
No bandits? No plagues, no famines, no lost crops to bad weather, no bad monarchs due to inheritance lottery?
>>
>>50423149
Yang isn't wrong, you know.
>>
>>50418600
>>50418535
>>50418430
Anon, when you describe a deity as being "malicious" and imply they murder travelers, that's grimdark.
Nevermind that outside of Yarnham and Cainhurst, blood is not a useful object of barter or commerce, especially not for an Inn. An inn that will need those travelers on their way back from wherever they were traveling.

>>50418641
But you didn't have bad shit happening because it happens. You had bad shit happening because they literally serve the MALICIOUS TRICKSTER and MURDER STRANGERS.
>>
>>50422955
Found the Marxists
>>
File: monty_python_holy_grail_dennis.jpg (39KB, 297x300px) Image search: [Google]
monty_python_holy_grail_dennis.jpg
39KB, 297x300px
>>50417779

>King

I didn't vote for you.
>>
File: Seriously.png (295KB, 340x565px) Image search: [Google]
Seriously.png
295KB, 340x565px
>>50423195
>Anon, when you describe a deity as being "malicious" and imply they murder travelers, that's grimdark.
Come on now
>>
>>50418577
Sustenance farming is hard work. It's not continuous, as in, you don't always do the same things, and you don't work the same hours and to the same intensity every day, but you do work every day. Even in winter, yeah.
>>
>>50423263
You don't vote for a king.
>>
File: Old Woman.jpg (36KB, 498x276px) Image search: [Google]
Old Woman.jpg
36KB, 498x276px
>>50423308

Well how'd you become king, then?
>>
>>50422610

No anon, a Knight IS a fighter - the fighting man is descended from the sergeant role of Chainmail; a dismounted knight whom accompanying the wizard (who was a more mobile stand-in for artillery that you could fit into a corridor without fuss) explored the earliest predecessors to the dungeons that would make D&D popular.

>Once a break in the lines was exploited, the cavalry became instrumental to victory - causing further breakage in the lines and wreaking havoc amongst the infantrymen, as it is much easier to kill a man from the top of a horse than to stand on the ground and face a half-ton destrier carrying an armed knight...

>In most medieval battles, more soldiers were killed during the retreat than in battle, since mounted knights could quickly and easily dispatch the archers and infantry who were no longer protected by a line of pikes as they had been during the previous fighting.

And regarding the lance, you've got it wrong. Lances did not impart the weight of the rider combined with the mount; the majority of their force came from the thrust performed by the lancer himself, who was the main governing body of stability and held the majority of the strength inherent in the blow. A lance's maximum force was dictated by its tensile strength: whenever a lance "snapped" upon hitting something, that was an indication that it had struck its target with the maximum force possible, and was ergo why it was a poor idea to use lances repeatedly in combat, as they had a tendency to deform with repeated use. Furthermore, lances were rarely used in full-scale charges (that's something the LoTR movies got wrong) - their rapidly degrading structural integrity meant that they had to be used in decisive, small-scale concentrations where a few lances would be used by a small detachment of knights as a "spike" to exploit weaknesses within extant infantry formations.

(Cont.)
>>
>>50423340

Evidently, this is why the sword was favored as a major armament of the mounted man; it had better control than the lance, did not shatter into uselessness when used in the charge, and could be used with equal fitness on foot as it could on horseback in the case the knight required to be dismounted. And that is why you see the sword featured so bloody often in fantasy.

Sources:

>http://www.classicalfencing.com/articles/shock.php
>http://www.medievalwarfare.info/
>http://www.tsrinfo.net/archive/cm/cm-core.htm
>>
>>50419559
Water for consumption, dude. I mean, it's not like there aren't people who live like this to this very day.
>>
>>50423324
The lady of the lake! Her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur
from the bosom of the water signifying by Divine Providence that I, Arthur was to carry Excalibur.

That is why I am your king!
>>
File: king_richard_iii.png (275KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
king_richard_iii.png
275KB, 640x360px
>>50423263
And what a tyranny of mind you have been spared from.
>>
>>50418936
Wow, is that really how it goes in Fate? That's grimdarker than the actual myths.

>>50418958
He's right, though. I mean, there's a reason there have been more terrible monarchs than good ones.
>>
I know it's grimdark but I really liked the ambiance of the Innistrad plane from MtG. I think that the way that the different groups of people, urban centers, and church interacted with each other were really interesting and made for a very flavorful campaign. People know where they stand and there appears to be a degree of cooperation, given that it's necessary not only for prosperity, but also survival. I really liked it.

My DnD friends are far and wide but I've always tried to imagine what an Innistrad themed DnD campaign would be like.
>>
>>50417779
The past didn't suck as hard as it's often portrayed as doing, but people didn't have it THAT good.
I mean, politicians and rulers being corrupt is one of the oldest jokes in history.
Personally, I like the idea of a having a generally-competent nation with moderate corruption that always leaves the door open to adventure while ensuring that the average fellow isn't out to dick you over.
Monsters live on the unbeaten paths because they know if they ever began to actively harass the cities of man, the bands of adventurers would turn into armies sent by the crown.
>>
File: Dennis.jpg (71KB, 733x482px) Image search: [Google]
Dennis.jpg
71KB, 733x482px
>>50423394

Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
>>
File: 1480035006628.jpg (99KB, 599x602px) Image search: [Google]
1480035006628.jpg
99KB, 599x602px
>>50423406
>>
>>50417779
>The plutocrat genuinely sees it as his duty to protect his employees
>The corporate class, though a little corrupt, don't go around kicking puppies and openly exploiting the poor
>Workers and indentured, though burdened under heavy labor, are overall happy and can afford at least two meals per day
>Living blocks are cozy with a tight, interconnected community where most people know eachother by name
>The inner city is alive and bustling, free of fear unless they're populated by gangs (and even there daily life goes on mostly undisturbed)
>The militia is at best friendly and willing to help lost strangers and at worst skeptical of heavily armed murderhobos walking around in their peaceful city
>Innkeepers pride themselves on having clean establishments, good meals and quality entertainment
>The government, though withdrawn from daily life, regularly aid the least fortunate in society
>>
>>50423469
Be quiet!
>>
>>50423484
OP's scenario at least sounded SOMEWHAT realistic, but this libertarian one is just retarded.
>>
File: dennis-the-peasant.jpg (65KB, 450x277px) Image search: [Google]
dennis-the-peasant.jpg
65KB, 450x277px
>>50423496

Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you.
>>
>>50417779
This was more or less my last "straight" fantasy setting, although there was a city with an evil necromancer noble cabal descended from remnants of an evil empire in the distant backstory.

Way I figure it, if you're gonna have your heroes on the side of the establishment, make it one worth fighting for.
>>
File: 70e[1].jpg (28KB, 567x565px) Image search: [Google]
70e[1].jpg
28KB, 567x565px
>>50423484
>>The government, though withdrawn from daily life, regularly aid the least fortunate in society
It's like Molyneux said: when atheists stop worshipping God, they start worshipping the state.
>>
>>50423267
Are you seriously saying that's not grimdark?

>>50423240
Marxism is a philosophy for looking at the economy and labour, not a political system.
But yes.

>>50423078
There will always be people oppressed. Generally the lower classes, or people who are minorities in either power or number.

>>50423448
I just wish more games had Germanic trappings instead of being the whole "our impression of medieval Europe kitchen sink" sort of thing. I really want to run an Innistrad/Bloodborne/Van Helsing/Castlevania inspired game.
>>
>>50423523
Shut up!
>>
>pythonfags think that acting out scenes makes for a good thread

You are the kind of faggots that make people dislike undertale.
HURR LOOK AT THIS THING I LIKE ISN'T IT SO COOL
>>
>>50423484
>>50423512
>>50423559
>>
>>50417779
I would run this, but my players, even if I tell them otherwise, would assume its all a ruse and that "dark happenings" are occurring beneath the surface constantly
>>
>>50423559
>Molyjew
>not a cuck
>implying anthropocentric secular religion isn't the way of the future
>>
>>50420406
The players stumble into a land that has long been overtaken by THING FROM BEYOND. The Things, however, don't want to cause trouble and try to blend into our reality.
They take on adorable human disguise and try to live like the humans they see. They don't really understand consequences like death or pain, so they happily go through the motions, taking joy in what good humans they are.

The Things are always so excited when real humans travel through their lands since they can show how incredibly hard they have been working.

It's like walking through entire country of six-year-olds putting on Hamlet.
>>
>>50423562
>Are you seriously saying that's not grimdark?
Yes. 40k is grimdark. A minor thing like that is light grey at best. You're like those faggots who label everything as edgy
>>
File: Dennis_6463.jpg (24KB, 298x250px) Image search: [Google]
Dennis_6463.jpg
24KB, 298x250px
>>50423572

Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away.
>>
File: ProtoSaberarmor.png (2MB, 866x1217px) Image search: [Google]
ProtoSaberarmor.png
2MB, 866x1217px
>>50418936

Oh, and don't forget the cherry on top: some broad steals your identity and manages to fool everyone that she's you in spite of the fact she isn't even the same gender.
>>
File: Cl5o3YMVEAAyRdE[1].jpg (60KB, 598x792px) Image search: [Google]
Cl5o3YMVEAAyRdE[1].jpg
60KB, 598x792px
>>50423592
>cuck
>>
>>50423588
The thing that really really bothered me about Feminist Frank, Furiosa's Snatch was that there literally wasn't enough water for all those people, and the colony really was going to deplete itself and die horribly at the end.
>>
>>50423614
Shut up! Will you shut up!
>>
>>50423642

Come and see the violence inherent in the system. Help! Help! I'm being repressed!
>>
File: 4dc.jpg (46KB, 600x706px) Image search: [Google]
4dc.jpg
46KB, 600x706px
>>50423626
Arguments are a spook.
>>
>>50423673
Bloody peasant!
>>
>>50423619
Wasn't the protagonist originally going to be female and Sabre male but someone said the Otakus would never buy it and thus they became a waifu? I swear I've read that somewhere.

>>50423638
Why do you say that? We're never once shown how much water there is, we're told Joe pumps it up from the ground and that's it. I do not recall anything to indicate that he was being so tight with it beyond as a method to conserve his power.
>>
File: holy-grail-dennis.jpg (21KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
holy-grail-dennis.jpg
21KB, 720x480px
>>50423700

Oh, what a giveaway! Did you hear that? Did you hear that, eh? That's what I'm on about! Did you see him repressing me? You saw him, didn't you?
>>
>>50423562

>I just wish more games had Germanic trappings

I feel you on that - a Gothic horror campaign I think would be really neat to run. While I'm loathe to do something kind of "stereotypical," like the vampire in castle trope, I think that some really neat campaign types could be run out of a Germanic or Gothic format.

I'm admittedly a little biased; my friends who I played with were all weebs so all of the campaigns we ran were basically them circle-jerking over making anime make believe (our setting was called Kaiwan, ugh) so I've never run a medieval type game.
>>
>>50423592
>secular religion
>>
>>50423964
>religion needs to be theistic
>>
>>50423588
>"rich vs poor" slave mentality
actually, rich vs poor is a pretty fair assesment of megacorp settings like this
still, that flawed model of reality shouldn't form the basis of your political thought or what kind of fiction you like
>>
>>50423992
>secular.
>denoting attitudes, activities, or other things that have no religious or spiritual basis.

Atheistic faith/spirituality can technically happen. Irreligious religion not so much.
>>
But if the king is so good how does he maintain power?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rStL7niR7gs
>>
>>50423587
people obnoxiously quoting monty python is a problem much older than that game
>>
>>50423595
>Paying IN FUCKING BLOOD and worshiping A MALICIOUS TRICKSTER is just "light grey at best"

>>50423638
As >>50423742 says, that's not remotely said.
Also, yes, Saber was originally going to be male and the protagonist female. There's still concept art of the original prototype Saber.

>>50424017
I'm not sure you're grasping these satirical criticisms of anarcho-capitalism/libertarian philosophy.
>>
>>50423512
There's no reason why the two should be different. When ancap leads to neo-feudalism society is basically like a medieval realm, except with different names for things.
If you can have good kings, beautiful and pure princesses and noble paladins, why can't you have good CEO's, beautiful and pure heiresses and noble enforcers?
>>
>>50424062
I think he's comparing the attitude. I don't think I've seen anyone quote out whole scenes from Undertale, though, just memetic phrases like "you're gonna have a bad time". Probably because Undertale doesn't have voice acting.
>>
>>50424062

Give yourself a pat on the back for pointing out the obvious there.

My point was that HURR LETS QUOTE MONTY PYTHON faggots are the exact same sort of faggot as HEY LOOK AT THESE UNDERTALE/MLP/HOMESTUCK/WHATEVER MEMES faggots.
>>
>>50417779
He tries, but he's rather out of touch with his people.

>The nobles, though a little corrupt, don't go around kicking puppies and openly exploiting the peasantry
Nobles are too busy backstabbing each other to hurt the peasants. Hell, sometimes they even hire monster hunters to protect their people.

The harvest is supernaturally bountiful this year, because the local wizard wanted a good festival.

Not hobbit-tier friendly, but people know each other well enough

>Cities are alive and bustling, free of fear unless they're located on the frontier (and even there daily life goes on mostly undisturbed)
Cities invite city monsters. Not as bad as forest monsters, but still cause for concern.

>The guards are at best friendly and willing to help lost strangers and at worst skeptical of heavily armed murderhobos walking around in their peaceful cities
Murderhobos are a common enough sight that guards know how to handle them. Outright corrupt guards are rare.

There is no guarantee of quality entertainment.

This is true even for servants of most "dark gods". Creepy bastards, but they don't want you clogging the soul-stream quite yet.
>>
>>50424092
>Paying IN FUCKING BLOOD and worshiping A MALICIOUS TRICKSTER is just "light grey at best"
It's not grimdark you fucknut. You can't just adapt any term to mean anything you like. Also, the paying in blood part wasn't in your original statement. A malicious deity murdering travelers isn't grimdark by any means, that's just standard fantasy fare
>>
>>50424092
You're mocking the language of ancaps by ascribing them to a very clear opressor/victim scenario, that you even go back to such a concept mostly used for simple movie plots reflects on your worldview I think.
>>
>>50424129
Is this you "adding depth" like retrad-kun up there are are you just sating how you prefer in you TTRPG eggs in the morning?
>>
>>50424148
>A malicious deity murdering travelers isn't grimdark by any means, that's just standard fantasy fare
It is when it's the SOP of the common clergy Retard-kun, just because you're not going all the way to the grimdark moon doesn't mean you don't have a misery coated space program.
>>
>>50424112
Because anarchocapitalism is inherently built on the maximization of profits, which relies on the exploitation of the people. And also deregulating everything to the point where pollution and exploitation are acceptable. You can't have good CEOs in ANCAPISTANâ„¢ because you can't become a CEO by being good. Of course, Anarcho-Capitalism is inherently unsustainable. Hell, regular capitalism is barely sustainable, as we're seeing.

>>50424129
>Citymonsters
wut

>>50424148
A malicious deity murdering travelers is not standard fantasy fare. How the fuck do you not get that you're forcing ~drama~ and ~edge~ into things? Corruption, murder, worshiping evil Gods, killing townsfolk, and paying in blood? That's fucking grimderp.

>>50424149
You do realize that the phrase "lazy moochers and parasites" is used by Libertarian unapproving grandma figure Ayn Rand, right? The joke is that the movie's scenario is more likely to happen than some glorious utopia.
>>
>>50424022
Fair point, I should probably pick my words better,
>>
>>50424234
>>50424235
>everything that's not 100% sunshine and lollipops is grimdark
I hate you faggots, you're almost as bad as the cuck spammers
>>
>>50424235
You know, monsters that prefer to live in the city. Like sewer-dwelling beasts- Giant rats, oozes, sewer gators, trash-eating beasts, the like. Not nearly as bad as the stuff out past the wall, but it's worth hiring skilled help to clear those out.
>>
>>50424304
Anon you're talking about fucking blood cults and murder. That's so far from fucking "not sunshine and lollipops" that you can't even see them.

Your setting changes were literally worse than Game of Thrones, which is what OP was trying to avoid.
>>
>>50424330
>Your setting changes
I'm not even the guy who came up with that cringeworthy shitfest. I just find it ridiculous that a murder cult constitutes as grimdark, when we have perfectly good examples of what grimdark is. And face it, to the state church of the Imperium a murder cult pretty much IS sunshine and lollipops
>>
>>50424235
But ancapistan doesn't survive for long, eventually it clusters into protection rackets and debt servitude.
Like, human nature doesn't change, there's still the drive to build a community and protect your people. Social consciousness and dare I say altruism doesn't evaporate just because there's no law. It's not lord of the flies, we're not children.
>>
What is an inn even supposed to DO with blood?
>>
>>50424382
Depends.
Is the inn secretly for vampires? If not they need it to upgrade their weapons and equipment so they can create the all powerful Innzilla to wreck havoc upon the god's with comfy beds and hot beverages for weary god's.
>>
>>50424382
Donate it to the blood bank, duh. It's tax deductible.
>>
>>50424373
Yeah but if you go back and read his post you'll see that it's not even a cult, it is the common clergy, that state religion, the common response of any village to visitors and a from of currency.

I appreciate you like playing devils advocate but right not you're just playing retard's advocate.
>>
>>50417779
Sounds cozy as fuck.

Unfortunately, plots are driven by conflict.
>>
>>50424382
Sell it to some guys who will use it to paint spooky messages on the walls in blood for the PCs to find.
>>
>>50424476
Except thta's not whta he said, just what some other people took from it. He said
>strangers go missing
and
>the clergy has their own idea of "helping people"

So think about it, how would a murder cult fit in here? If it's the official religion, then where do the strangers come from? Is it just the religion of one country? Having a single country/national entity united under a religion of evil is pretty much a high fantasy trope for generic bad guys.
>>
>>50424507
Evil overlord wants to invade.
Cult wants to summon the end of the world.
Lich is doing evil stuff in the countryside.
>>
>>50424507
All inns of the realm start demanding blood for some reason.
>>
>The death god is "terrible at math" and "accidentally" gives people an extra 10-20 years of life, in reality he just hates doing the paperwork for every dead man's soul (and doesn't trust his church enough to hand it off)
>Community service is required to get your wizarding degree
>The various labor guilds assure fair pay and sufficient holidays for all working folk
>Guards always find a problem to point murderhobos at, preventing them from ever being a problem
>>
>>50418920
>i've never watched UK Kitchen Nightmares
>>
>>50417779
But where is the conflict?

Like I'd be down to play a cozy worldbuilding game and all, but unless we're going to the next country over to start some shit, I'd never want to play an actual game there.

I play adventurers to fix shit, not bask in utopia.
>>
>>50424672
Gotta have good to contrast the shit with, otherwise you're constantly wallowing in shit.
>>
>>50424566
In the functioning prosperous society, Liches and cults don't spring up.

An outside force like the "evil overlord" works.
>>
>>50424707
There's virtually no shit to contrast what's described in the OP.

Being an adventurer in this particular world is like that shitty James Bond movie where he stopped a guy from raising the price of Bolivia's water.
>>
File: image.jpg (84KB, 460x593px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84KB, 460x593px
>>50418254
This is a great idea.
>>
>>50418405
My parents were farmers so I know your wrong
>>
>>50418254
Read a book that had a similar premise.

Basically whenever you "offended" the earth it would randomly pop deadly monsters from the ground until it was appeased.

There was a long list of things that upset the earth. But the biggest one was spilling blood on the ground. So any pitched battles quickly became bloody three sided brawls.

Also cities were few and far between, having to by built on solid rock, to avoid accidentally offending the earth.
>>
>>50423559

STOP

Stop posting this fucking garbage.

Stop saying "Because Atheists do not worship God, they worship X"

I am an Atheist
I do not worship Satan
I do not worship 'myself'
I do not worship 'the state'
I do not worship anything

I am sick and tired of being told 'what I believe in', Fuck off
>>
>>50423363
If lances weren't so common then why the paragon of knightly virtues was Sir Lancelot, not Sir Swordolot?
Checkmate, swordeists
>>
>>50424980
Sounds neat, encourages non-murderhobo solutions. Got a name?
>>
>>50425051
I don't even know what lances were good for on the battlefield. Charging other cavalry? You want a big sword for hacking down infantry surrounding you, not a lance that only points forward.
>>
>>50425039
*tips fedora*
>>
>>50425067
Lost in translation.
https://www.amazon.com/Lost-Translation-Margaret-Ball/dp/0671876880

I remember enjoying it as a kid, but that was over a decade ago.
>>
>>50425074
Wasn't the lance a shock weapon that was used at the start of the charge to give charging unit more reach?
After charge lost impact horsemen could change weapon to something shorter or disengage and prepare for new charge, as lancer units of modern era was supposed to.

While lances were intended to broke it is not so much problem if you have any logistics troops to support your lancers, just have spares in a camp. For instance PLC hussars had spare lances in supply wagon and replaced broken ones between charges.
>>
File: YouMad[1].jpg (30KB, 600x457px) Image search: [Google]
YouMad[1].jpg
30KB, 600x457px
>>50425039
He was just noticing a correlation between atheism and being politically on the left (ie. big gubmint). No need to be upset.
>>
>>50425236
>monoaxial political theory
git gud
>>
File: image.jpg (39KB, 460x368px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39KB, 460x368px
>>50418962
You are retarded
I'm not even gonna write some greentext response. I don't know if your a millennial but that is the must fucking millennial shit I have seen all week. Just because you know nothing about farming does not mean farming involves nothing. You probably think programming is easy 'cause all you have to do is type really fast. Construction work is also easy as all you do is carry bricks sometimes. Even Rocket Science is easy right? It's just charts and stuff.
>>
>>50424373
In what way does the primary religion being a murder cult that disappears travelers not constitute grimdark?

>>50424378
Anon, we've had crony capitalism. No, altruism won't evaporate, but greed is greed.

>>50424382
Blood Ministration.

>>50424559
He clarified that "go missing" meant they were murdered, and it's pretty fucking obvious what the MALICIOUS TRICKSTER GOD is going to consider "helping" isn't very nice or safe.
If he didn't mean that, he would have elaborated. Instead he's doubled down.

>>50425039
Not to defend Stefan "private police sound like a great idea" Molyneaux, but it's not about what you believe in, it's about what you metaphorically worship. Which is not the state, he's an idiot, there are just as many atheist libertarians.
>>
>>50425376
>he's an idiot, there are just as many atheist libertarians
Yeah, he knows. He's one himself. He's just describing a trend rather than absolute 100% fact.

Also
>Implying private police isn't a good idea
>Not owning nukes for self-defense purposes
>>
>>50425444
>Also
>>Implying private police isn't a good idea
>>Not owning nukes for self-defense purposes
I know you're memeing, but come the fuck on.
>>
>>50425376
>Anon, we've had crony capitalism. No, altruism won't evaporate, but greed is greed.
Honestly, you don't even need altruism, a state will naturally arise as corporations and the like realise that anarchy is actually pretty unprofitable and end up setting a crude form of police/military and a basic legislative/judiciary framework.
>>
File: IwcrHEZ.jpg (97KB, 562x570px) Image search: [Google]
IwcrHEZ.jpg
97KB, 562x570px
>>50425444
Is it time for An-Cap memes?
>>
>>50425342
>You're wrong
>But instead of refuting the argument with evidence, I'll just spew insults to appear as if I am correct
You wanna try again champ?
>>
File: gSjQqVI[1].jpg (216KB, 571x610px) Image search: [Google]
gSjQqVI[1].jpg
216KB, 571x610px
>>50425489
>>
File: 3eb.png (77KB, 500x566px) Image search: [Google]
3eb.png
77KB, 500x566px
>>50425622
>>
>>50425444
>>50425489
I once saw a Youtube video that was like 20 minutes long and pointed out all the flaws in Libertarianism regarding policing and laws, and how private courts/police would be a stupid idea. It was some guy drawing on a white board or something. I wish I could find it again.

>>50425519
Anarcho-Capitalism isn't real Anarchism. And we've already seen how in real life unchecked capitalism isn't stopped except by outside forces. Shadowrun is surprisingly similar to what Ancaps want.

>>50425622
>>50425641
>>50425678
Yes pls.
https://youtu.be/w8mnD3FYOS0
>>
>>50425683
>Anarcho-Capitalism isn't real Anarchism.
Ancom pls go.
>>
>>50425678
>>
>>50425625
> Farm labour is easy
> it's up to you to prove me wrong
This is just dumb. There is nothing to argue. You may as well say
> drinking bleach is healthy
> Prove Me Wrong
> jumping if cliffs is good exercise
> Prove Me Wrong
> no one has ever died in a car crash
> Haha Can't prove me wrong can you?
>>
>>50425683
>I once saw a Youtube video that was like 20 minutes long and pointed out all the flaws in Libertarianism regarding policing and laws, and how private courts/police would be a stupid idea. It was some guy drawing on a white board or something
As far as I know, libertarianism actually supports the existence of the state, only that it should never or almost never interfere with the economy, and some variations of it support stuff such as a welfare state(albeit how it should look like and how extensive it should be varies a lot). It is the AnCaps that are really wacky and try to apply free market as a magic solution to every single problem ever conceived.
>>
File: Ancap_a2db6f_5997376.jpg (95KB, 900x535px) Image search: [Google]
Ancap_a2db6f_5997376.jpg
95KB, 900x535px
>>50425726
>>
>>50425784
I appreciate that you tried a bit harder this time, but your post still contains no refutation or evidence. Please try again.
>>
>>50425850
>Free_Cities.jpg
>>
>>50425862
>literally "not an argument"
Fuck off Molyneaux.
>>
File: Fast_food.jpg (71KB, 565x797px) Image search: [Google]
Fast_food.jpg
71KB, 565x797px
>>50425850
>>
>>50425862
> typed anon, leaning back in his seat
> he could picture to look of frustration on his opponents face when he saw how outwitted he was
> "please try again" he whispered to himself, rubbing his third chin
> with one meaty hand he adds another line to his "Internet arguments won" chart
>>
>>50425818
Most Libertarians essentially want anarchocapitalism. I mean, Molyneaux and Ron Paul and Gary Memeson all want privatized police forces and no regulations.

At best, Libertarians only believe in a small government. ("State's rights! [to own people]")
>>
>>50425929
This is why you have mininukes.
>>
>>50426076
Well, is there a better term for small government?

It seems to be what works best, judging by world history.
>>
>>50426176
Most of world history also hasn't had massively interconnected global commerce and communications.

The problem with small governments is that there's no one to protect you from it's auspices. Ask a slave how they feel about State's Rights. That's the problem with Libertarianism. They want to do away with protections and regulations, both the regulatory committees like the EPA as well as things like the Equal Protection Clause. I mean, ironically you have Conservatives complaining about big government, yet they want the government to be strong enough to *keep* people from being protected; see for instance the First Amendment Protection Act (which Trump has promised to push forward), which is a "Religious freedom" act that allows discrimination.

I mean, myself for instance, I don't like big government because I want an authoritarian regime telling me what I can or can't do. I want a government that's big enough to provide for the welfare of it's citizens, whether through welfare systems, public works, or environmental and employment protections, or protections against discrimination and harassment.

Which, of course, the Right is opposed to because as a political ideology, they *like* being able to do those things.
>>
File: Right Libertarianism.jpg (69KB, 673x578px) Image search: [Google]
Right Libertarianism.jpg
69KB, 673x578px
>>50425929
Not really a meme, but a history lesson to bring up whenever someone complains about "Libertarian Socialist" being an oxymoron.
>>
>>50425995
That was worse than your second try, you're not on the right track. Please try again.
>>
File: 1479345584478.png (957KB, 1328x2216px) Image search: [Google]
1479345584478.png
957KB, 1328x2216px
>>
>>50426910
But backtracking, he doesn't need to, because several other people already have. The argument was refuted to begin with before Anon even showed up.
>>
>>50427131
>B-but it was already proven
Link to the places it was actually refuted, and not just another post that says "it was hard work because I say so"
>>
>>50427327
Oh, nevermind, I got the sides backwards. Which begs the question of why you're still shitposting like this.
>>
>>50427627
I dunno, because we are bored a shit and enjoy being angry?
>>
>>50426930
Holy shit that was funny. Got more?
>>
>>50427327
Being smug doesn't prevent you from being an idiot.

>>50418962
>He's absolutely right though. Modern farming is super fucking easy in terms of labor, if a farmer does work these days it's with his head and not with his back.
This is what was said.
If this were true, most farmers would have the physique of other jobs where labor is done with their head.
They would look like programmers.
They would look like Sheldon Cooper.
Thread posts: 358
Thread images: 65

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.