[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think it's wrong to set the PCs up against an invincible

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: Shin.webm (3MB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
Shin.webm
3MB, 1000x563px
Do you think it's wrong to set the PCs up against an invincible monster or enemy, like those boss battles from old JRPGs where you're supposed to lose? Is it too close to railroading? I would only considering doing it to actually make it seem like they're up against a very dangerous and powerful foe.
>>
>>50409262
It can be done right, but only if you don't enclose them and cut off any escape routes.

THEN it's railroading.
>>
>>50409262
Expect them to find a way to kill it. They probably won't, but always be wary.
>>
>>50409262

It's fine, but as others have noted, player mentality usually doesn't consider a fight unwinnable unless proven beyond the shadow of doubt. Unless you are extremely clear about the imbalance of the fight, they'll probably try to tackle it anyway.

Best way to handle an unstoppable foe is to introduce alternate stakes, like the protection of an important location or item. Alternately, even an invincible monster can be driven off. Long story short, giving the players a (clear, apparent) route to move forward is essential, especially if that doesn't include actually slaying the enemy.
>>
Have a plan B in advance just in case the PCs win.

Might be good to hint pretty heavily in advance as well that this may not quite be a fight to the death for them.
>>
File: Welp.gif (4MB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
Welp.gif
4MB, 500x282px
>>50409262
Well I guess I have to see the new Godzilla now.

As for the subject I'd say you'd have to tread very carefully, give them escape routes, don't make him 100% invincible just make him very strong.
>>
>>50409425
Yeah, if you're going to have a monster they're supposed to not be able to beat you should have an alternate condition on hand to make sure they don't think "Kill the monster" is the objective.
>>
>>50409262
>atomic backspray
Sounds stupid in concept
Looks rad a shit though. Everything about shin godzilla looks rad as shit and i'm sad that I didn't catch it in theatres.
>>
>>50409262
You can definitely set sup strong monsters way too big for the players to handle. Old school D&D actually encouraged you to avoid dangerous encounters. Just make sure the players have a way to escape or hide, otherwise they will bitch and moan.

To be honest, at least one person is going to bitch and moan because most players think every fight is scaled for them to be able to win. So expect one or two players to drop before the rest get the hint that they should run away.
>>
>>50409346
This actually happened to me, and now my party is still wandering around the material plane, and I have to find another way to get them into the other world.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.