[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does the Ecclesiarchy insist in calling everyone who abandons

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: ecclesiarchy.jpg (172KB, 1021x734px) Image search: [Google]
ecclesiarchy.jpg
172KB, 1021x734px
Why does the Ecclesiarchy insist in calling everyone who abandons the faith Heretics?

Wouldn't worshipers of the Dark Gods be Apostates?

Hell, the Age of Apostasy is like the one time when they use the term, and they don't use it correctly. Vandire was a Heretic since he still professed his faith in the Emperor, was the boss of the Ecclesiarchy, but was fucking with doctrine and saw himself as above everyone.
>>
Partly, because games Workshop's writing team are mostly comprised of total hacks.

But you could probably justify it with linguistic drift, and a total lack of interest in understanding or categorizing those who transgress the Imperial Creed; lumping them all into one homogenous detestible mass; Heretics, Xenos and Daemons.
>>
File: Aurelia_by_Zen_Master.jpg (434KB, 1278x864px) Image search: [Google]
Aurelia_by_Zen_Master.jpg
434KB, 1278x864px
>>50400173
You know the whole Red Scare thing in the States in the 50s and 60s?

Dial that up to 40,000 and set it loose.

The facts and terminology don't matter a damn bit. Apostates, Renegades, Heretics, Recidivists, Iconoclasts, and, I don't know, Atheists are painted with the same brush.

More realistically, the confusion came out of the old Hammer horror films and other pseudo-medieval films where a Witchfinder or a Monk points and shouts "Heretic!"

What a lovely thing to shout. Three syllables, it just rolls off the tongue, and you can really /shout/ the first syllable.

"Apostate" just doesn't sound quite as good. You can /hiss/ it in a menacing manner, but it's not as satisfying to denounce people with it.

So, thanks to horror films starring Vincent Price, comic books, and insufficient pedantry, we have all sorts of heretics in 40k.

And finally, Heresy is a negative definition - "Not Orthodox". So yeah, all those unbelievers and Chaos cultists and secret Pudding God clergy really are heretic - they don't believe in the Imperial Truth. They might /also/ be Apostates, if they renounced their previously held faith.
>>
>>50400173
Doubting the doctrines of the Ecclesiarchy sure sounds a lot like heresy to my ears, Brother-Anon.
>>
>insufficient pedantry
What a horrible, horrible thing
>>
>>50400173
>Dat half-shaved SoB on the far right.
If GW ever actually ever makes new minis for them, I hope we get a variety of hairstyles beyond just the bobcut.
>>
>>50400173
>Apostate was actually a heretic.
I kinda like the idea that the two terms got flipped between now and 40k.
So apostates are called heretics and heretics are apostates.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.