[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How rich does a semi-obvious monster need to be in order to buy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: images(5).jpg (9KB, 304x166px) Image search: [Google]
images(5).jpg
9KB, 304x166px
How rich does a semi-obvious monster need to be in order to buy its way into the good graces of a town or city?
Depends on the setting, sure, but I think we can get some kind of baseline here.
>>
>>50394462
IT
DEPENDS
ON
THE
SETTING

On a strict one-ruler society it just needs to pike the ruler's interests. In a collectivist town it needs to be rich enough to make over 80% of the people not need to work anymore so that only an extreme minority may want to fight it at first.
>>
>>50394462
Rich enough that its wealth puts it in the realm of other local authority figures. At that point it is assumed to be a legitimate alternative so long as it doesn't show itself to be worse than the local powers. I suppose I mean to say that it has to be rich enough that its monstrous traits can be regarded as eccentricities of wealth shared by other rulers.
>>
>>50394545
You also have to vastly increase its wealth and generosity depending on whether the setting has regular hostile contact with monsters, if there are cultural or religious aversions, or if there's some kind of wider government that would do Bad Things to everyone involved. It doesn't matter how rich you are when everyone around just wants to kill you for what you intrinsically are.

Also, it has to be enough of a threat that "Kill it and take its money" isn't a better option.
>>
>>50394462
If the monster is rich, why not use the argument of his monstruosity to kill him and steal everything?

You see, being rich is BAD for you if you're a monster. Acceptance relies on strenght.
>>
>>50394637
I assume because it will eat you if you try to rob it.
Alternatively, it is rich because it literally produces valuables.

Double alternatively, it gets stronger the greedier you are in your attempts to get its wealth.
>>
I feel like the dragons of shadowrun are relevant here.
>>
>>50394635
Fair enough.
I think "parading through the street throwing gold like goddamn alladin" is enough to cover all but the most extreme of monsters.
>>
>>50394732
Eh, not really.
They showed up at a time when magic in general was coming back, and one of them explained it to the world. At the time, a lot of crazy shit was happening, kids were being born as elves and dwarves, crazy mojo was being whipped up to threaten entire governments, ect.

Also, the dragons could take human form, so it was easier for them to be accepted at the time, and when people started questioning it, they were dug in and running corporations.
>>
>>50394462
>evil monster eats like two people
>also revitalizes economy and makes the town into a booming city
>quality of life up all around
I actually think this might be a pretty good trade. Though, it'll piss off all the paladins.
>>
>>50394462
It depends more on the other attitudes of the monster and the people in town's attitudes.

Maximum amount of money needed in general it needs enough money to hire sufficient guards to stop anyone attackint him is the solution.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.