[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what's /tg/'s experience with play-by-post D&D/any

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: ravenloss.png (649KB, 529x669px) Image search: [Google]
ravenloss.png
649KB, 529x669px
what's /tg/'s experience with play-by-post D&D/any tabletop RPG really?

i'm thinking of running something because i don't really have the time to run long sessions every week, but i've never run anything by post before.
>>
prepare for cringe and yiffing
>>
>>50358636
Never tried it, don't know.
>>
>>50358636

D&D is a terrible choice for PbP -- there are too many rolls involved per action. You need something lighter where each die roll counts for a lot more, because the big bottleneck in PbP is the back and forth of waiting for replies. Five rounds of "Okay, roll this.... Now roll that.... Now roll the other thing" will kill enthusiasm dead.

Lighter systems work better. One Roll Engine, Apocalypse Engine, stuff like that where each roll encompasses a lot and keeps things moving is best.
>>
Keeping a schedule or posting requirement is fairly important, even if it's just "one post a day" type of thing.

My PbP experience has been mixed. Had a great game, but most of them just fell through because the DM vanished, including one villain Mutants and Masterminds game that had some potential, but ended with the DM wanting us to "roleplay amongst ourselves" for about 2 months before he just up and left without a word.
>>
>>50358636
...I'm sorry, is this an unfunny CAD strip, or an unfunny editing of a presumably-unfunny CAD strip? I assume the second one, since I don't remember him photoshopping art as a thing, but...I don't even get the joke.
>>
>>50359686

It's a ravenloft version of CAD's infamous Very-Special-Episode strip, "Loss," which was in really poor taste and got mocked around the internet for quite a while. (It's the strip where what's-her-fuzz was pregnant and had a miscarriage. Because that belongs in a strip about wacky guys playing video games with their xbox robot)
>>
>>50359785
Christ, I'd completely wiped that from my memory.
This is why I do not miss giving a shit about webcomics.
>>
>>50359686

Would you say that you're at a Loss for an explanation?
>>
File: A DECADE.png (326KB, 1280x1287px) Image search: [Google]
A DECADE.png
326KB, 1280x1287px
>>50359686
>>50359828
>>
>>50358636
i had some limited success using a private forum and dice macros.

>>50359513 speaks the truth about running dnd though
>>
>>50360642
kek
>>
>>50360642
I knew about the strip for years, but what's the deal with that symbol?
>>
>>50361180
it's a minimalistic version of the comic. First panel is the guy, second is the guy talking to someone at the front desk, third is guy talking to a doctor and fourth is the guy standing next to his wife who is lying in a hospital bed.
>>
My experience with pbp is that nobody ever finishes their characters unless you bug the hell out of them. It's happened twice so far with me just wanting to run Labyrinth Lord.
>>
i've dmed pbp twice and both times everyone just slowly stopped posting.
>>
Did a world of Darkness pbp a while back. Basically the group had a private forum where there would be several 1on1 games going on at once in the same setting opening up the possibility of crossovers between them. We never got more then 2 games going at once but me and my player had a blast though the other pair could barely get 2 post per week in. Eventually my guy fell off the face of the earth so overall I'd say it was 50/50.
>>
>>50358636
It's very
>>
>>50365422
very
>>
File: 1476253745332.png (11KB, 382x363px) Image search: [Google]
1476253745332.png
11KB, 382x363px
>>50360642
>>50358636
>not posting the most superior version of them all
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.