[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm worldbuilding and I really want to create a mountain-dwelling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: Cave goblin.jpg (699KB, 1500x878px) Image search: [Google]
Cave goblin.jpg
699KB, 1500x878px
So I'm worldbuilding and I really want to create a mountain-dwelling race that is a nice combination of various other fantasy races.

Something like a combo of kobolds, dwarves, goblins, troglodytes and others.
>Smaller then humans, possibly fat or pot-bellied
>Great inventors and crafters, but possibly loners and ornery
>The ones who leave their homeland are often young, rebellious, or exiled for one reason or another

Any ideas for how to make this race idea interesting?
>>
Maybe make them intensely agrarian? The majority of mountain races in fantasy seem to live in concentrated settlements and have a focus on smithing or production of some kind or another. Maybe the inventiveness of this group has been in high altitude farming techniques? They could have villages surrounded by extensive terraces growing weird vegetables, and you could play around with the isolated nature of mountain valleys and the communal aspects of an agricultural society.
>>
>>50345276
Sounds like deep gnomes from Forgotten realms.
>>
>>50345276
They live solitary lives except for "harvest" and "mining" season. They harvest massive mushrooms that grow in their mining tunnels, feeding on creatures that are killed by spores and semi sentient fungi humanoids and on the minerals in the stone, thus weakening the walls enough to be mined easily once cleared out. This way they gather food before gathering metals and gems.
>>
>>50345276
>>50346199

They never marry.

They have mushroom induced psychedelic orgies.

Kind of like a nest of snakes in mating season.
>>
>>50345276

Both species grow "manes" ~ (neckbeards)

They write long-winded treatises on esoteric subjects that they are inexplicably passionate about, on the walls of their home and common underground routes/roads.
>>
>>50345276

Pot-bellied, stony-skinned humanoids with exaggerated features who stand half as tall as a man. Big noses, ears, feet, and teeth with lichen or moss growing on them, sometimes cultivated into something resembling hairstyles. Deceptively strong for their size due to rangy muscles and a low center of gravity. Herd pygmy yaks for meat and milk, being renowned for their cheese. Grow a few strains of hardy mountain veggies but otherwise rely on cave fungus to supplement their diet. Perpetually grumpy but good-natured with a strong cultural emphasis on the importance of hospitality. Many are loners, with "villages" consisting of dwellings relatively isolated from one-another in terms of view but not necessarily accessibility, with the main social hub being the village leader's home and communal well.

Call them trolls.
>>
>>50346257

I don't want to call them trolls though.
>>
>>50346282

Call them Stonebellies, then. Or whatever you want.
>>
>>50346282

Call them S'kat
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.