[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, don't really post here very often byt I had a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: 1479782024904.png (62KB, 200x192px) Image search: [Google]
1479782024904.png
62KB, 200x192px
Hey guys, don't really post here very often byt I had a question. If one wanted to make their own DnD ruleset (Star Wars D20 was based off of DnD is an example), are there any resources on the internet that might help with that?
>>
>>50344885
>If one wanted to make their own DnD ruleset
don't.

But if you really want to, SRD for all editions and basic rules are readily available for free. I'm not sure what you need beyond that.

But seriously.
Don't.
>>
>>50345070
Haha thanks anon. 'Dont' seems to be the general consensus. Is it just way too much effort or is the average anon just not as smart/good as the guys at Wizards of the Coast in terms of balancing and such?
>>
>>50344885
Seriously don't.
If that pic has anything to do with the homebrew you want to make, have a look at One Piece D20 by Bad Karma Games to see how shitty every D20-based homebrew inevitably ends up.
>>
>>50345115
Nah I just didn't really have anything /tg/ related on hand so I used that picture instead. I will have a look at this One PIece D20 though thanks.
>>
>>50345113
>is the average anon just not as smart/good as the guys at Wizards of the Coast in terms of balancing and such?

Well, now you've just turned this whole thread into bait.
>>
>>50345134
Ah fuck. It was just an example, any company really.
>>
>>50345113
It's not that the average anon is not as good as WotC at balancing. It's that they're even worse.

In order to get something even remotely useful out of D20, you'd have to completely break down and analyze the system's mechanics, interactions and implications before re-building it from the ground up.
>>
>>50345115
Looks like the 'official' page is pretty damn dead. But what I could find does seems kind of... I dunno. There's something off about it.
>>
>>50345167
Hm I think I get what you are saying. The break down alone would take an age and there's no guarantee I would even understand it the same way anyway?
>>
>>50345167
Though I should specify that I mean balancing a D20 system specifically.
Most anons are better at balancing than WotC if they use good source material.
>>
>>50345113
>Is it just way too much effort or is the average anon just not as smart/good as the guys at Wizards of the Coast in terms of balancing and such?
no, the average player is generally on 3e-era WoTC level when it comes to balancing.

Which is exactly the problem.
>>
>>50345183
The thing is, the creators of the D20 system themselves didn't exactly understand what they created there.

The folks behind Fantasy Craft came to a very different conclusion from the folks behind Legend, but both groups took the work to completely break down the mess that is D&D 3.5 and make something genuinely good from it.
>>
>>50344885
Go take a look at all three editions of Mutants and Masterminds and observe how far they had to go from being a dnd mod to get good.
>>
>>50345496
Thanks anon I will.
>>
File: overview.jpg (2MB, 3150x2400px) Image search: [Google]
overview.jpg
2MB, 3150x2400px
>>50344885
Here, take a look at this. D&D is effectively a tiny part of a massive genre. It's like calling all videogames Super Mario, and wanting to make a Super Mario platformer for every genre.

More importantly, what do you want to run? Because I can guarantee there's already a system for it.
>>
>>50345642
I was looking at doing a Dragonball one. Google showed me one that had a PDF and everything but it seemed quite... lacking.
>>
>>50345713
Using D&D as a basis for Dragonball is one of those extra dumb decisions.
>>
>>50346397
Go on?
>>
>>50346482
..there is nothing to go on. Essence of D&D is so far away from Dragonball that the only point of contact you would have left by the end of it would be "an icosahedron is involved in some way".
>>
>>50346555
Well it doesn't need to be DnD I guess... just a tabletop RPG thats Dragonball.
>>
>>50346657
Alright anon, there's a tabletop rpg called Tri-Stat dX. It's core rules are available in pdf for free with a simple google search. It's been used as foundation that the games Silver Age Sentinels, a comic book supers rpg, and Big Eyes Small Mouth, a generic anime rpg, were built on. So it's established as a system capable of handling Superman/Goku level characters.

Go find a copy of that, if you need more guidance come back as ask for Tri-Stat versions of Silver Age Sentinels and BESM (as opposed to their D20 adaptations, which were horrible).
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.