[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk about Warhammer 40,000 novels. >They're

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 1304753523273.jpg (2MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1304753523273.jpg
2MB, 1920x1200px
Let's talk about Warhammer 40,000 novels.
>They're all shit
>they're all terrible
>I'm a shitlord
You folks need not apply. Friendly topic, friendly thread.

I'm looking for 40k novels that heavily feature Daemons. Not just Guardsmen fighting Chaos and a Daemon comes in and fucks shit up before getting blasted. I'm talking actual incursions and fighting wars against them.

What have you been reading?
>>
I don't know about any books that feature daemons heavily, but the Night Lords trilogy by ADB is damn good, as is The First Heretic which is also by him.

Beyond that the books are hit or miss. I personally couldn't get past the first few chapters of the Grey Knights omnibus that I have but I've read Malus Darkblade's whole saga (not 40K I know but still Black Library) several times.

Recently I've been finishing up Path of the Incubus so I can move on to Path of the Archon, then I'm going to read Daemon World.
>>
You don't fight wars against daemons. If daemons have ripped into reality by bursting through a psyker, everyone on the planet and possibly the system loses. The war is already lost, the only reason why the people of a planet continue to fight is to make sure the distress call to Earth gets sent, and the answer won't arrive for possibly decades if not centuries. If you want to read about large daemon conflicts you just pick up the Daemonhunters Codex but such events - Chaos forces don't just have daemons just sitting around hanging out, it's a massive drain on resources and they summon them because they're needed.

That's why Exterminatus is invoked on planets suffering daemonic incursion because there's no way to reclaim it. Yes, you do read about instances where the planet's assets are too valuable for Exterminatus, but you have to realize THAT situation is exceptionally rare and such a planet would have Imperial, Machine Cult, or Space Marine units nearby to relieve the planet.

On top of all that, the daemons can't actually stick around. Their grip on reality is tenuous at best and only fueled by the psyker through which they entered. What they do while they're around is corrupt a population then fuck off while the planet falls to Chaos or possess the psyker but then they're just using the psyker as a puppet.

A war against daemons is like a war against a sudden instance of tornadoes - it just doesn't happen.
>>
The Siege of Vraks Forge World books start with renegades versus guardsmen, upgrades into marines versus marines, and as the years drag on and the shitfest reaches criticla proportions, daemons start showing up all over the place. They're still more of the icing on the Chaos cake rather than anything else and most of the writing (they're not actually novels) is mostly about regiments getting heroically annihilated.

The First War for Armageddon was also a war featuring daemons and friends but the only novel that deals with it is The Emperor's Gift, which only goes over the final showdown with Angron, and that itself only takes up about 5% of the book.
>>
Night Lords Omnibus is the best books BL has written. It features a demon commanding their ship which makes for some interesting dialog and void combat scenes.
>>
I wish there were more books about Necrons, too bad their lore is mostly with marines as the underdogs that don't win in the end.

A hall of Swords book could be interesting though.

In 970.M41 The Emperor’s Swords Chapter was trapped within their fortress monastery when a Necron Tomb awoke beneath them. Over the next weeks the trapped marines were hunted for sport by the Lords of the newly awoken tomb.
>>
>>50342621
i've been reading the first soul drinker novel, there's like 6 i believe, and plan to jump to the path of eldar series next or carnac campaign tie in novels.

i wish they wrote more about the races besides space marines but you can't mess with the golden egg and i like reading action novels from time to time
>>
File: Wrath-of-Iron.jpg (101KB, 600x915px) Image search: [Google]
Wrath-of-Iron.jpg
101KB, 600x915px
>>50342621
There are Daemons in this, but not until towards the end.

What is fun about it, though, is that it does showcase the friction between the various sub-factions of the Imperium.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.