[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, we've got a pretty good understanding of Anglo-French,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: 150603_ferrerdalmau_empel.jpg (334KB, 2048x1504px) Image search: [Google]
150603_ferrerdalmau_empel.jpg
334KB, 2048x1504px
So, we've got a pretty good understanding of Anglo-French, Celtic, Norse, and bits and pieces of Slavic and German medieval fantasies
But is there any real Hispanic and Italian kind of fantasy? Are there any grand legends besides Christian fables, Roman wankery, Muslim exchange, and stories gathered from their colonial empires?
>>
Not that I know of, aside from conquistadors and the trading republics you sometimes see in settings. And if you're skipping over Christian fables and stories from colonial empires, you're skipping some of the best parts - you can't even boot in Roland.
>>
>>50329808
I'm pretty sure I've read some spanish fantasy... sometime... I think... fuck, can't remember.

And there was something italian too, I believe... oh, wait, that was a rock group with fantasy thematic. Hmmm.

Guess not.
>>
>>50329808
>Plumbers and Pasta
>italian answer to D&D
>>
>>50329808
There is this rpg, Aquelarre, it's set in Spain in the Medieval Ages. I heard its pretty good, but never played it.

Also, Aquelarre is a covenant of witches in Spanish, in case anyone was wondering
>>
>>50329808
As an Italian living in Spain, no. There's no particulary Italian or Spanish kind of fantasy that I know of.
Italian fantasy authors are cringeworthy assholes straight out of fanfiction.com, Bad Deviantart OC tier bullshit you'd not inflict upon your worst enemy. And they copy Germanic and Anglo fantasy to a T.
Spain at least had some good Romantics in the late '800 that can be good inspiration. There was a Barcellonese author in particular that wrote some epic short stories, but I can't remember his name now.
One was about an empty armor possessed by Demons that basically starts his own private army of satanist merchenaries and cuttroaths to absolutelly terrify some vilages near the mountains. An Holy man eventually douses it in holy water and fuses it into a metal cross when it's "wounded", thus condemning the demons inside to an eternity of Pain (since the cross is then, obviously, blessed) to rival hell.
I think it was called "the Devil's Cross" or something like that.
In short there's a lot of exploitable folklore in both countries, but it's all Christian rather than pagan so people haven't used it to write fantasy, yet.
Feel free to add merchantile citystates, ruthless banks and gloriously passionate caballeros to your setting tho!
>>
>>50329808
looking at the subjects of italian operas and late midieval epics, they seemed to like to take legends from other countries and just add crazy shit to them

like orlando furioso. it's the song of roland, only ludovico ariosto added:

>hippogriffs
>giants
>a trip to the fucking moon
>>
>>50329808
>But is there any real Hispanic and Italian kind of fantasy?

TO THE MOON ORLANDO
>>
>>50329808
>italian fantasy
Romans, bruh
>>
>>50332987
He did say no Roman wankery.

I don't really know what else you're going to do, though. Squabbling republics? Ferrying westerners to sack a rich empire?
>>
File: 1859462-lilith06[1].jpg (80KB, 487x640px) Image search: [Google]
1859462-lilith06[1].jpg
80KB, 487x640px
>>50329808
I'd look at comics books, both italy and spain have really good series, including fantasy ones.

I'll try to dig some games from a thread about non anglo rpgs we had a few months ago. brb
>>
File: Kobold Eating Fish.jpg (111KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
Kobold Eating Fish.jpg
111KB, 600x800px
>>50329808
>>50331702
>>50331806
>>50331762
https://mega.nz/#fm/lhgEAbxK

I gotchu raviolinio. De nada, but I don't have a traducción for this libreto.

Also, take a look at El Capitán Trueno. He's basically Conan but español.
>>
File: 38d[1].gif (188KB, 600x503px) Image search: [Google]
38d[1].gif
188KB, 600x503px
>>50332841
I will never understand the legends of Roland. All historical evidence of Roland we have is a historical footnote that more or less reads "The French were defeated at Roncevalles, a nobleman called Roland died there among others". This unknown nobleman somehow became the shining example of chivalry who interacted with fucking hippogriffs and giants and was the chosen champion of God and shit. How does that even happen? I get this kind of legend shaping around Charlemagne, but one of his downright unknown and unimportant vassals?
>Inb4 Arthur
See my Charlemagne comment.
>Inb4 Lancelot
He was Chrétien de Troyes OC do not steal, it's not comparable to Roland.
>>
Italina rpgs:
Lex Arcana (alt-history where Romme didn't fall)
Kata Kumbas (fantasy)
Sine Requie (post ww2 with acis victory and zombies)
Piombo (based on the anni di piombo, unsurprisingly)

Spanish rpgs:
Aquelarre (middle ages myths)
Anima (yes, it's spanish)
El capitán Alatriste (swashbuckling like hot-blooded latin men)
La Marca del Este (fantasy)
La mirada del Centinela (super hero setting, but you act as support crew)

More at www.nosolorol.com, that seems to be the main publisher in spain.

>>50334178
On man made shitty fanfic of Roland, it got popular since they didn't have tv at the times, and it grew up from there.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.