[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/tg/ i need a 40K players help ! heavy rail rifle or high

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: img_0511.jpg (566KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
img_0511.jpg
566KB, 2048x1536px
/tg/ i need a 40K players help ! heavy rail rifle or high yield missile pods ?
>>
>>50321172
Missilepods. Always missilepods.

The sad truth is that the heavy railrifle is nearly useless. Missilepods have 1 less strength, but with 4 times as many shots, will still inflict more damage to vehicles and force more wounds. Sure, the railrifle can potentially destroy a vehicle in one hit, but on average rolls the missile pods will glance it to death before that happens.

Only thing the railrifle is better at is wounding 2+ saves or glancing a land raider, both of which can be done far more effectively with other units, while missilesides are one of the best flyer- and light- to medium vehicle killers in the codex.
>>
>>50321238
This. Unless the vehicle rules change high strength single shot weapons are useless.
>>
Always Missile Pods. Railgun is only OK as anti-aircraft platforms due the chance of instakill the flyer.
>>
>>50321512
The only way railgun is decent anti-air is if they each have velocity trackers for the skyfire (20pts each), and a commander attached that buffs them with ignores cover.

Railguns are nice though when you know you are facing nothing but light armored vehicles, like ork trukk spam. but anything over AV12 and they become extremely unreliable. But even then the only advantage the rail has over the missiles against light armor is the range. Within the 36" though, missiles are just better
>>
>>50321499
>new railsides
>high strength
if only ...
>>
I've been thinking of how to actually make the railside useful. The best I've come up with is actually turn the weapon into a bigger rail rifle, as the name implies, rather than a weaker railgun. I.e. make it rapid fire. At max range it'd still be inferior to missilepods, but it has far longer range and could now be fired on the move, whiel at half range it'd do 2 s8 ap1 shots, which might be enough to make it better than missilesides' 4 s7 ap4 shots. I don't remember the exact results for number crunching, but I think it'd be comparable or better to missilesides against av12+ vehicles. The maximum range could be lowered to compensate, like down to 50''. That should still be "long enough" for average board, but give missilesides an area between 25'' and 36'' where they'd still clearly outperform railsides at the cost of having less mobility.
>>
>>50324615
OR just make it S10 AP1 single shot. Like it used to be. With the submunition round still hammerhead only.
>>
>>50321172
The misslepods looks but fucking ugly.
>>
Give them a similar profile as the lascannon or give them an extra rule: Tank-hunter or velocity-tracker for free.
>>
Ugly model

shoulder-mounted railguns were cool

UGLY UGLY UGLY
>>
>>50324793
I prefer the FW version with one underslung railgun on each arm. Although that's more because the model in general looked a lot better than the old metal/plastic kit (which was just an XV8 with two bits to cover the nozzles on the jump pack and railguns stuck on to of the jump pack). The way they look in DoW, which is basically the FW model but with the railguns mounted on the shoulders instead of the arms, looks really nice as well. Plus that one does a cool sumo-wrestler stance thing when it braces itself down.
>>
>>50324738
Mathhammer-wise, would it still be out shot by HYMP?
>>
>>50324844
yeah the Dawn of war model is what made me fall in love with tau which is why the new one annoys me

got into the game too late

>setting stabilizers. ready to fire.
>>
File: KV128_Stormsurge.png (6MB, 2977x2417px) Image search: [Google]
KV128_Stormsurge.png
6MB, 2977x2417px
>>50324909
Stormsurge sort of has the same idea, only derpier.

Tbh I don't really hate the thing, but I wish it wasn't open-topped. Other than that, it kind of reminds me of some of the derpier Mehwarrior designs, which I've always found endearing. It doesn't really fit Tau doctrine, though. The point of battlesuits is that they're mobile units with comparatively heavy firepower, with the exception of the Broadside, which is a heavy weapon platform that's smaller than a tank but still carries heavy firepower. Stormsurge is neigther mobile or smaller than a tank. It's exactly the kind of big slow walker the Tau are supposed to find impractical and just use tanks and planes instead.

I know fluffwise it's less of a big slow walker and more of an extremely fast and agile defensive emplacement, but the same role could still be performed by a superheavy version of hammerhead.
>>
>>50325019
>the Tau are supposed to find impractical and just use tanks and planes instead.

Brah that got tossed out the window a LONG time ago.
>>
>>50325019
yeah I'd never get a stormsurge unless I could heavily convert it

the railgun is neat looking though
>>
Wait, 40k has robots like this?

I'd almost be tempted to try to build one to put up with my gunpla, but I know just one of those would cost me equivalent like 10 Master Grades or something ridiculous.
>>
File: XV95_Ghostkeel.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
XV95_Ghostkeel.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>50325095
Depends on where you're getting gunpla. In my country you pretty much only find them being sold at cons, and at a very high markup, so the price is pretty much comparable to 40k models. On the other hand, one of my friends has gotten me some while he was in Japan, which cost the equivalent of 10$ or so and look very nice for their pricetag.

Battlesuits don't size-wise fit too well, with gunpla, though. Pic related is probably the closes in size to the ones I own, being slightly shorter than my Char custom Zaku. Broadsides reach somewhat above its waist, but would probably still be similar enough in size to not look outscaled (helps that while relatively short, the model is still very bulky). Otherwise they're all far too small looking or much bigger and more massive.
>>
>>50321172
Rail/plasma is great vs enemy elite shits and FMC when you give them skyfire. They make short work of enemy forces, because if you give the enemy no save to take, they die.

Missiles are an in-between, good for an all suit list, shit if you run lotsa firewarriors.
>>
>>50325193
If he's NA, Bandai has american liaisons who sell at retail on Amazon here now.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.