[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Alternate WWI scenairo >Trench Breaker Armor is created

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 50

File: 1477209417825.jpg (237KB, 1600x1031px) Image search: [Google]
1477209417825.jpg
237KB, 1600x1031px
>Alternate WWI scenairo
>Trench Breaker Armor is created to end the stalemates created by entrenchment instead of tanks.
>>
>>50312977

You mean power armor is invented in 1916 instead of 20XX.

More interesting would be what the newly found compact, portable power source would do to aircraft, ships, and civilian life: I mean, imagine if we had lithium batteries in the 30s. Now, imagine if we had something even better then that in in the 10s.
>>
>>50312977
Go to bed, DICE
>>
>>50313023

Yeah, there's no way this tech would or should just stay as something exclusive to armor. Perhaps earlier jet craft with compact engines?
>>
with the minimum calibre the armor would need to protect against would be.30 cal, at least one person in a squad would need a special AT gun at all times, since unlike tanks, you could round a corner at any time with one of these guys possibly waiting for you

also as >>50313023 points out, EVERY thing could benefit from a diesel engine with the weight of a small battery, so proper dieselpunk weapons are possible
>>
>>50313023
No see that backpack? Its a combustion engine.
>>
>Still gets stuck in mud.
>Still dies to mines.
I don't see how this improves things much tbhfamalamabananajamma.
>>
File: derp a herp.png (4MB, 1630x1343px) Image search: [Google]
derp a herp.png
4MB, 1630x1343px
>>50312977
>>
>>50313113
>is immune to normal bullets
>can ram through barbed wire
would still be useful, just have to deploy them right
>>
>>50313113

A human shaped suit would be infinitely easier to carry out and around then a tank and tanks don't have arms to pull themselves out of a hole or mudd.
>>
>>50312977
Not seeing how bulletproof armor changes trench warfare. The point of tanks was that they could roll over barbed wire while being shot at my machineguns.
>>
>>50313172

You could have shields to help take the brunt of machine gunfire and push the line as you advance.
>>
>>50313159
>would still be useful, just have to deploy them right
Right, which makes me think you'd just fill a tank(s) with them. Drive them up to a trench and disgorge.

>tanks don't have arms to pull themselves out of a hole or mudd.
They usually didn't need them. They broke down a lot though.
>>
>>50312977
FYI
http://sttheo.deviantart.com/
>>
File: c2-579x330.jpg (50KB, 579x330px) Image search: [Google]
c2-579x330.jpg
50KB, 579x330px
>>
>>50313159
Tanks are also just cars, and thus drive themselves around... you know, like cars. Also, a man in a shitload of big heavy armor is probably going to have a hard time pulling himself out of mud or a hole too- in fact, he would probably sink faster because he's got more weight distributed on less surface contact area. Also going to have a hard time fitting into trenches. Or walking across the boards used by infantry to prevent sinking without breaking them.

>>50313201
But then why wear the armor? Also then presumably they couldn't use a rifle. Also, they still get caught up in barbed wire, which was a really big deal.

Also allies can't use them as cover. Also they can't transport other troops. Also they're probably much more expensive and have no precedent for design like tanks did with warcars and tractors.

The ONLY advantage I can think of is that they might be less susceptible to artillery or aircraft than tanks because of their smaller profile, but that's assuming they can move faster, and it's kind of redundant if the point is to be inside enemy trenches.

At least in WWII it KIND OF makes sense.
>>
>>50313270
Also you forgot to make a point about why you are in love with the word also.
>>
>>50313286
Also that.
>>
>>50313286
anon has many, many points to make
>>
Tanks are still many times more useful than one man in a suit.
>>
>>50313351
This whole idea strikes me as being made from someone who didn't do a lot of research on WW1. Didn't do much research on tanks, the effect of tanks on trenchwarfare, and the pitfalls and advantages presented by tanks in the first place.
>>
>>50313394
Eh, probably more like someone who saw the tacticool pic and didn't think it through much more than that.

Another point to be made is that even now, a century later, material science's advanced to the point that ceramic SAPIs can do a helluva lot better than their equivalent weight or thickness in steel, and we're *still* preferring to err on the side of mobility instead of maximum protection. There's a reason why most exosuit research at the moment is based around carrying heavier loads rather than going all spehss mehreen
>>
>>50313270
>But then why wear the armor?

Because power armor can carry a lot more than a normal human can for far less effort.

A power-armored soldier could likely carry a shield of two-inch-thick steel with little difficulty if it were designed to do so, in addition to the armor plates the suit would have as well. That's some SERIOUS resistance to small arms right there.
>>
>>50313023
Not necessarily. The breakthrough could be in metallurgy rather than energy: a super-alloy would allow superior protection at a fraction of the weight. It would still have applications beyond warfare, but not to the extent of reliable compact energy sources.
>>
File: 1478725123347.jpg (223KB, 1032x1496px) Image search: [Google]
1478725123347.jpg
223KB, 1032x1496px
>>50313394
>This whole idea strikes me as being made from someone who didn't do a lot of research on WW1.
Well, what would we have to do to the setting or the idea to make it work?

I'm not disagreeing with your guys' assessments, I'm just curious as to what you would think might make idea work.
>>
File: 1461721232985.jpg (339KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1461721232985.jpg
339KB, 1920x1080px
>>50313598
>a super-alloy would allow superior protection at a fraction of the weight.
I can dig it.

From here we can fluff shields as well as armor, but how could you fluff the mechanical side of the power armor?
>>
>>50313546
Have they invented man portable armor that can remotely take a .50 bmg round? Because i figure we wok here something if it was even remotely viable
>>
>>50313594
Could carry it, yes. Could be effectively mobile with it, no. The suit's own armour would have gaps plenty big enough for any competent marksman (never mind sniper) to put some lead into; and those gaps are usually at parts of the body very vulnerable to damage. Goodbye, kneecaps. Especially because it'll be getting pleeeenty of focus fire.
Or if it did have enough coverage to be able to tank plenty of pew pew, you'd pretty much be a giant steel mannequin. Even kneeling would be incredibly awkward, and firing standing up while unsupported is not gonna get very good results. Unless you want them to bring melee weapons too to storm the trenches in close quarters, in which case I give up and refer you to 40gay.

Also, everything >>50313546 said.
>>
>>50313613
Give them snowshoes for one. I still think delivering squads in tanks would be pretty good. But again you could just use regular dudes.
Maybe the war has continued to the point where attrition has become a real problem and keeping individual troopers alive is more important.
Maybe with that comes a scarcity in shells and petrol for artillery/vehicles and bigger bombs making these guys more viable since they're more immune to small arms.

>>a super-alloy would allow superior protection at a fraction of the weight.
This makes me think the setting would have zeppelin-style aircraft carriers since all the aircraft would be made of this new WonderMaterial.
>>
>>50313023
>OP wants a WW1 with power armor
>"Hey, you know what's even better? Change all the period's tech to include whatever power source they are using."
>"To a point where they probably don't see power armor."

No. Just no. Don't post in the thread if you don't want to buy the premise.
>>
>>50313817
>imagine WWI but with this cool thing
Okay well I mean aside from like the first thing you mentioned and desperately want us to focus on, there's als-
>no shut up only imagine what I want you to imagine
>>
>>50313817
>People built personal safe nuclear reactors.
>But we'll only use them to power inefficent combat suits.
>Forget the implications on the rest of the world.
This is the same reason so many fantasy settings are complete garbage.

You can modify weather and make mountains fly, but nah we'll still use the feudal system and live in huts made of poo.
>>
>>50313079
>T-Gewehrs being a squad-level asset, or the planned german AT machine gun coming into full production

Be still my penis
>>
>>50313671
Currently the very cutting edge materials (i.e. the shit with the prefix "nano" being thrown around everywhere) could, in theory, stop them. If development comes to fruition. At the moment, the best plate inserts out there could *probably* survive being hit with a .50 - but it's unlikely the person behind it would.
>>
File: GREETINGS, BATTLE BROTHERS.jpg (31KB, 600x462px) Image search: [Google]
GREETINGS, BATTLE BROTHERS.jpg
31KB, 600x462px
>>50313155
majority of deaths on the western front were from artillery. not even a late-war mk vi could withstand a direct hit; these guys would be slower, less agile infantry with less protection than a tank. In short, they'd be every artillery officer's wet dream for a target.

I'm fine with what-if military history and I love power armour, but occasionally the reality of warfare takes over, and WW1 was mainly fought the way it was through a combination of advancing military tech and really, /really/ shitty conditions
>>
>>50313127
What are shaver heads doing performing dynamic entry?

Is this the last thing a stoner sees when SWAT breaks down their door?
>>
>>50313269
hopefully with less "crouch behind my shield and spray bullets faster than a guardian can aim" bullshit
>>
>>50314114
>pic
my sides
>filename
MY SIDES
>>
>>50314161
lazy town is always good for a meme or two. can't claim credit, its from one of them oldfangled "filename threads"
>>
>>50314114
This. As much as I love the idea of power armor, protective gear has erred towards the side of mobility. Why? Because even if your armor's 99.9% infallible(and any soldier would kill for those odds), it's better not to roll the dice on the chance it will fail and just avoid the hit entirely.

When guns got better at piercing armor, the breastplate got thicker and the limb armor went. Eventually, even that went because the off chance the plate will stop the bullet wasn't worth the weight

Body armor's making a comeback because of lightweight materials, but power armor would have to be pretty damn efficient to be worth the loss in mobility.
>>
>>50313270
> deselpunk idea is unrealistic

Thanks for pointing this out anon. Us chumps thought this was a flawless idea with no drawbacks 'till your sage wisdom set us straight. Now we can go on to happily never enjoy an unrealistic idea ever again.
>>
File: t9.jpg (142KB, 900x526px) Image search: [Google]
t9.jpg
142KB, 900x526px
>>50313023
The stalemate is broken by actual Landships!
>>
File: image.jpg (130KB, 753x737px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
130KB, 753x737px
>>50313674
Jesus Christ this fucker. This is everything non-/pol/ related that is wrong with with /tg/. How are you poking holes in the design of something THAT DOESN'T FUCKING EXIST. You made up details of the design JUST TO POKE HOLES IN THEM. You're barley even going into its real flaws, which it has plenty of being a fantasy idea on a board dedicated to fantasy ideas. And I bet this neckbeard is sitting there smugly thinking about how he showed all those 4chan plebs who had dared to use their imaginations for a goal other then to complain.

If shits like this were more widespread mankind never would have developed beyond the sword

> Tank
> Oh wow, it costs millions and can be destroyed by one grenade
> did you even think about the fuel costs?
> it's armor must have fault-lines that anyone can shoot through
> how are the people inside meant to see without having cracks in the armor?
> back to the drawing board boyo this idea is clearly unrealistic

And you just know that if this suit appeared in anons favorite series he'd be hard at work defending its design to the hilt. I know you think your enriching the board with your autism but please for the love of god stop.

And finally
> 40gay
Oh wow anon you dislike a popular well liked series your tastes must be so refined.
>>
File: disdain4plebs.gif (1MB, 250x233px) Image search: [Google]
disdain4plebs.gif
1MB, 250x233px
>>50314521
>trying this hard
>>
>>50314580
Not that guy, but you're real fuckin' cool. Trying's lame as fuck.
>>
>>50314401
>>50314521
>Triggered and gay
>>
>>50314521
>being nitpicky about details
>being full on autismo about balance and/or realism
>everything non-/pol/ related that is wrong with with /tg/
what even is crunch
>>
>>50314654
Haha, wow, what a fantastic way to debunk someone! Call them gay!
>>
>>50314740
Don't feed him.
>>
>>50314740
>Implying you're not
>>
File: download.png (942KB, 782x749px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
942KB, 782x749px
>>50312977
Historical WW1 scenario, trench breaking armor is prototyped and attempted. Not exactly a success.

Assuming that they managed to get it right, it'd be really cool. The tanks of the time weren't nearly as lethal as they could have been. The suits could allow for actual trench clearing. Assuming the Brits came up with them instead of tanks we either have a similar end to the war but with some badasses like the aviators had or the reduction in casualties prevents WWII as we know it because Europeans were less concerned about dying in another pointless war.
>>
>>50314930

To be fair.... that basically is non powered, heavy as balls armor, that left all 4 limbs exposed and looks exactly like how my dick would look if I glued Dreadnought parts to it.
>>
>>50313921

>Sherman Power Armor fighting off against massive Panzers more like mechs then suits
>Have to gang up and pile on the Panzers to have a chance and unload at close range
>Panzers have hammers and sweep away anyone that gets close to them while unloading machine guns
>>
>>50312977
You need to go back further or /k/ will shoot your idea full of holes (heh)

As has been said, artillery makes this pointless

So go back further

Leonardo Da Vinci develops power armor (congrats on making steam punk that's not 100% ass)
>>
>>50315102

Do tanks resist artillery bombardments?
>>
>>50314967
Well, the scientists of the time figured that your dick would at least have a decent armor save and maybe an extra wound. Except the Italians. The Italians just thought it would be hilarious to give some of their troops hope before sending them to die meaninglessly.

>>50315130
I suppose that depends on where the shell lands. The top armor tends to be the thinnest on older tanks. They might be fine if it doesn't score a direct hit on them. Not an expert though.
>>
>>50315102
But this powered armor wouldn't be made to withstand artillery attacks, it would be made to lead the charges against enemy trenches and soak up the machine gun fire. It doesn't come out of the trench when the shells are still flying.
>>
>>50315176

Me neither, but then I wouldn't imagine dudes in power armor walking across a field during one even with power armor.

That said, I'd like to imagine just like the gradual advancement of the tank from this clunky box with guns to the weapon it is today the same would happen to the power armor especially when you have such technological advances like lightweight armor and compact engines.
>>
>>50312977

Fails because getting through the trench was never the problem. The problem was that once the breakthrough had been achieved the defenders could rush reinforcements to the area, by rail, so much faster than the attacker could push forces through the break on foot.

Large forces of tanks simply drove through. Even considering the slow speed and mechanical unreliability of the early tanks, this was still more effective than slogging through the mud on foot dragging artillery behind you.

So with tanks the Entente could do what had been impossible, even for the Germans in 1918 when the Peace Offensive blew the British lines wide open: Break through the trench lines then consolidate the breakthrough against counter attacks, finally making it possible to realize permanent gains.
>>
>>50312977
There was already armour developed for trench assault operations. The technology for powered armour was so far out of reach in WW1, and isn't even viable yet in the modern day. I award you 0 points.
>>
>>50315433
Wizards and dragons.
>>
>>50315460
Magitech is acceptable but wholly different from "alternative WW1 scenario".
>>
File: TLG.jpg (31KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
TLG.jpg
31KB, 500x333px
>>50314521
>complains about nitpicking a fantasy design
>he brings up fucking /pol/ in the second sentence.
Never change, /tg/, never change.
>>
>>50315044
woth immunity to the standard .303 ammunition, and due to being smaller are harder to get a direct hit with an artillery shell, fights between 2 suits will be determined by wrestling and punching until proper AP rounds are made
>>
>>50314385
Best use for power armor isn't so much the armor as the power. Allows soldiers to carry more gear and more powerful weapons.
>>
>>50313674

Nah, this is an absurd objection. The distribution of bullet hits on a body is basically random, soldiers have enough trouble hitting their targets in first place when they are being shot at and shells are exploding everywhere - a condition known as combat - just forget about shooting at seams in armour.

It is obviously impossible to build powered armour in the first world war. The materials weren't up to it, a suitable power source didn't exist, sufficiently small and powerful actuators didn't exist, there was no way to keep it on its feet and no way for the user to control it.

But there is no reason the concept can't be entertained.
>>
>>50313759
>This makes me think the setting would have zeppelin-style aircraft carriers since all the aircraft would be made of this new WonderMaterial.
Nice.

Armored zeppelin carriers. New armored aircraft and power armor for elite units.
>>
>>50315726

Not to mention armor for standard soldiers as well as better vehicles with compact and more effiencent engines of the sort that can run this power armor.
>>
>>50315760
>zeppelin to zeppelin combat, with broadsides
>>
Hahahahahahahaha How The Fuck Is Power Armour Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Shoot Him With A Panzergewehr Like Nigga Reverse Your Bullets Haha
>>
>>50316104

compact fighter craft being like batman's bike from The Dark Knight except it can fly.
>>
>WW1 doesn't end, ever
>all of Europe becomes a cesspool of noxious gases inhabited by OP's stupid giant battlesuits with smoggy diesels and integrated rebreather apparatuses
>international commerce grinds to a halt as u-boats destroy all shipping
>regional governments based on silly early 20th century fads like syndicalism/national syndicalism, anarchism, co-operative democracy, etc dominate this hellscape and conscript citizens en masse to go die in the trenches to giant power suit dudes
>cataphracts become common as horses get power armor with machine guns slung off the sides
>airships float around dumping barrels of poison gas all over the place

I don't know where I was going with this but I like the idea
>>
File: super-blimp.jpg (53KB, 800x536px) Image search: [Google]
super-blimp.jpg
53KB, 800x536px
>>50316385
>Pic related.
>But 3x the size.
>With flight and bomb decks.
>Floating military city bases of poison and death with power armored stormtruppen.
>People flee underground and into intricate bunker cities in hollowed out mountains.
>>
>>50316464

Any reason why they would poison the land?
>>
>>50316104
>>50316340
>>50316385
>>50316464

I fucking love it.

What would be a decent system to play a game in this sort of scenario?
>>
>>50316579

What are we prioitizing? Does the Armor need and specific rules to it ? Do we need complex gun mechanics?
>>
>>50316550
Depending on where in the world you were it'd probably be better or worse.

I imagine large parts of europe would be a wasteland. I mean look at places that are still filled with unexploded ordinance, miasma, buried barb wire, and all kinds of other horrible stuff that makes it a no go zone. Amply that by lots.
Add lingering death and gas, I imagine not a lot would live.
>>
>>50316550

Because the fucking krauts tried to invade Glorious Britannia (and vice versa).

>>50316464

>entire flight decks of prop biplanes flying around dropping one (1) bomb and returning to their giant flying base to re-load
>power armored guys jumping out of blimps with high-caliber bolt action rifles and parachutes, trying to get past the enemy trench lines, while armored cavalry ride out to intercept them

FUND IT
>>
>>50316595

I'd say we oughta have some solid and somewhat gritty combat rules with systems for the armors, guns, vehicles and etc. That way we'd have a solid set of "toys" to work with and use on different campaigns and combats.
Considering the degree of novelty WW1 has going on I'd also say we should have interesting rules for character customization, just not to have generic placeholder characters for the players.
>>
File: Knights.jpg (226KB, 664x457px) Image search: [Google]
Knights.jpg
226KB, 664x457px
Did someone say WWI-era power armour?
>>
>>50317095
At least the pimplehelm would look a lot more intimidating.
>>
>>
>>50313096
Have you any idea of inefficient and gutless early 20th century engines were?

It's only recently that cars have been able to get 100hp/litre on mass-produced engines.
>>
>>50317347
obviously the diesel engine is far stronger than any other known engine
>>
>>50317482
Diesel didn't become commonplace for heavy vehicles until the 1960s/70s, anon.
>>
>>50317528
the wonders of petrol allow a man to lift things 10 times his own weight, while weighing only twice the user
>>
>>50313394
>This whole idea strikes me as being made from someone who didn't do a lot of research on WW1
Or, you know, he just thinks this looks neat. I mean, that's a distinct possibility, isn't it?
>>
>>50316610
>Boarding action against enemy blimps
>Cities become underground complexes with mass AA guns above
How does the October Revolution go? Do the Reds have access to Trench Breakers?
>>
>>50314740
lol you're a fucking faggot dude
>>
>>50312977

It wouldnt be much use in the northern part of the western front, the ground was so bad there that mud was a major killer. The eastern front was too big and open to allow for slow moving systems like that.

Best places for that kind of tech to be employed would be in central and southern france in the middle of summer when the ground is hard. Also potentially to break the deadlock in Galipoli and allow for a war in greater Turkey
>>
>>50313127

pffft
>>
>>50314930

>pic looks like a kid who went out trick or treating
>>
File: mechafags btfo.jpg (92KB, 714x592px) Image search: [Google]
mechafags btfo.jpg
92KB, 714x592px
>>50313113
>Still gets stuck in mud.
This might be the main problem in a WW1 setting, honestly. Especially considering the weight distribution of such a suit, so it would get stuck far more frequently I'd guess
>>
>>50317838
>Also potentially to break the deadlock in Galipoli and allow for a war in greater Turkey
THAT would be a worthwhile alternate history. The landings may not have been a failure with armoured suit support.

After the war, power armoured systems would have been developed as a method of supporting tanks. WW2 would have taken a much different character, with power infantry countering the blitzkrieg.
>>
>>50313594
In Somme it can't, because even a man with just a uniform and a rifle sinks into mud.
>>
>>50317095
That looks pretty cool. Where is it from?
>>
>>50314114
Here's the thing - the artillery ruled because the infantry stayed stationary in their trenches due to how well, the trench warfare worked, it was simply that kind of war. But if you get guys that could change that, move through no man's land and and cover his comrades as they advanced and cleared out the trenches the battles would be more back and forth and artillery would have less obvious targets and couldn't just be zeroed in on the same two locations the whole time.
>>
>>50317838

Might have also been used in a support role. Strip off the armour and just have a guy running around with loads of extra carrying capacity, and issues of supplying ammo and the like to the front are greatly reduced
>>
>>50317951
>Strip off the armour and just have a guy running around with loads of extra carrying capacity
>>
>>50317914

> British tooops fighting in Gallipoli break the front open using power armour
> Constantinople falls within days, urban fighting by the Turks rendered innefective by naval bombardment and heavy infantry attack
> Turkey out of the war and supply lines opened with Russia, Germany has to struggle to keep Entente forces out of Poland and Austria
> Powered armour becomes a tool in the kit rather than a war-winner, used to break fortifications but not terribly helpful in a fast moving war of maneuver

> War ends with German defeat, Russia remains imperial with entente help
> Hitler rises to prominence, champions his generals ideas of a highly mobile force of armoured infantry rather than the behempths favoured by the other powers
> Britain and France scale back their armuor programs, seeing it as a product of an immobile war of attrition and not useful in further conflict

> WW2
>>
File: 8fb142eda6611e02dd7fc515c97a8d31.jpg (353KB, 1832x1203px) Image search: [Google]
8fb142eda6611e02dd7fc515c97a8d31.jpg
353KB, 1832x1203px
>>50317987

> 1910's trucks are totally able to make it through terrain like this to supply front line troops
>>
>>50317939
So basically WWI needed Reinhardt
>>
>>50318004
They didn't need to :

The front was progessing so slow there was time to actually build roads and even railroads behind the front.

And with armies of millions of men and weeks between offensives, there was enough manpower to spare to just haul the crates to the frontline themselves.

Sure, having a few suits for the heavy lifting might be great.
But are super-lifters really the best use of industrial capacity when you can just break the load up between a platoon of otherwise iddle infantrymen ?
>>
>>50317951

Could also be used in this way to dig fortifications. Most of it was done by hand in WWI, using a powered exoskeleton would speed that up a lot
>>
For all the dudes concerned about the impracticality of power sources, here's a hypothetical: a new fuel or engine design is devised and implemented, but the defining quirk about it is that its energy production is greatly increased/ efficiencized by creating a circuit with flesh and blood; that is, the more contact it has with a human, the better it runs (probably with diminishing returns and an optimum amount of electrode connections to make). While bizarre sounding, it would at least serve as a bare bones explanation as to why something like power armor would be so appealing to develop, but said energy source would NOT just be better off used in planes and tanks and things.

If you wanna go full anime, the power production is tied to heart rate, so it's even more potent for use in battle/high-adrenaline scenarios, and not very usable for like, wearable radios.
>>
>>50318070
>not very usable for like, wearable radios

Unless you keep a stressed-out dog or cage of rats stuck in the case as a living battery of sorts.
Maybe that's what the concentration camps were for; power stations.
>>
>>50312977
>>Alternate WWI scenario
Americans actually be relevant and not a weight for the entente?
>>
>>50318088

> Use the untermensch as a power source for industry
> Germany uses this to overcome shortages of oil and coal, improving its industrial capacity while blockaded

potentially a war-winner

The Japanese could do the same in POW camps, and the Russians in their Gulags
>>
>>50317939
Artillery ruled because troops stayed stationnary
Troops stayed stationnary because machine guns would wreck whoever got in the open.
Machine guns could wreck things because infantry was both slow and unarmored.

The power suits solves the "unarmored" part.

The "slow" part is still an issue, though :
If your armored soldiers operate in large formations, they'll be priority target for airforce and artillery.
If they operate in support of normal infantry, they might just become firemagnets.

Not saying it wouldn't be worth trying, though.
But I can see both camps quickly coming up with portable AT weapons.
>>
>>50318081
What about just sticking a man into the engine of a tank, then ?
>>
File: 1465421038551.jpg (217KB, 2048x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1465421038551.jpg
217KB, 2048x1200px
>>50313066

Mike Doscher...he might be relevent.
>>
>>50318121
>Artillery ruled because troops stayed stationary
Wrong. Troops stayed put in their trenches because it was raining artillery.
>>
>>50318081
>>50318088

Perhaps it works better when connected to a bigger nervous system, so you cant just stuff ten million chickens into these things to power everthing
>>
>>50318148
Again, neatly explains the concentration camps. Only they aren't being gassed; just stressed to death to get more power for the system.

The american equivalent became commonplace in the 50s; television designed to root people to their couches, which then collected power.
>>
>>50313127
pic made me chucle
>>
> At the dawn of the 20th century, scientists discover a way to tap into the ambient energy of living things
> It is regarded as a curio, and left by the wayside as its potential is limited
> WWI breaks out, hundreds of thousands die in battle
> A British scientist, displaying this curio in a show for soldiers in a field hospital, accidentally uses a shell-shocked man as his test subject
> The Energy Harvester overloads spectacularly
> This scientist makes the connection that a highly stressed individual makes an excellent power source
> Lord Churchill, always a fan of the wild venture as seen by his disastorous initative at gallipoli takes this technology and rapidly develops an electric harness with armour for front-line troops
> At the same time, german spies steal this technology and attempt to develop their own systems
> Churchills new heavy grenadiers break the deadlock at Gallipoli and Constantinople falls
> German advisors take command of the remaining turkish troops and a vicious war is fought in greece, armoured troops clashing all through the country
> German Sturmtruppen in power armour breaches the deadlock in the south of france and push rapidly for Paris and industrial hubs
> Russia proves to be more of a drain in Entente resources than German ones as it struggles to contain a Bolshevik revolt in their homeland
> The US joining the war is a godsend for the allies, and thousands of american troops bring the armies in france back from the brink despite the noteable lack of armoured forces of their own
> Germany, its last gasp of manpower and industry expended by the Sturmtruppen, surrenders a few months thereafter
>>
>>50318280

post-war world-

> The energy harvester is mostly relegated back to the lab, save for a few notable abuses where madmen, traumatised by the war, are used as living batteries by corrupt hospitals
> Tsarist Russia retains control for a few more years thanks to allied supplies, but collapses spectacularly during the great depression into an anarchic mess as different factions fight for control
> Germany, humiliated and economically ruined by war reparations eventually falls under the control of Adolf Hitler and the Nazi party
> France becomes complacent, believing that it has total martial superiority over its enemies, and fails to take up advances in military technology
> Britain is scarred deeply by the massive burden of war dead, not used to taking the massive losses that a continental war entails
> Japan eagerly profits from the great war, snapping up huge chunks of Manchuria, Siberia and northern china while the great powers are distracted elsewhere
> Various experiments and attempts at fine-tuning are made to the Energy Harvester, but the reliance on a highly stressed user renders attempts to power industry with it ineffective
>>
>>50318135
>Troops stayed put in their trenches because it was raining artillery.

Wrong.

Artillery was a problem at the strategic level because it could focus a lot of fire power in a relatively small area... which was bad news for slow-moving, high-density formations (like we loved before WW1)

But range back then was barely 10-15 km for most guns.
And while the rate of fire had improve a lot since the previous century, the accuracy was still not that good that a tactical use could be made of artillery.

This means that artillery was only good if it had the time to aim at the enemy's position and that, even then, the enemy better not move too fast or he would just overwhelmed artillery.

Cavalry had been the obvious answer to that, as it had been for the last 200 years : make a clear path to enemy's artillery and charge quickly. Sure, you'll take a lot of casualties but disabling artillery made it worth it, since artillery would cause MASSIVE damage to slow packs of infantry.

The great game changer was machine gun :
Making a cavalry charge against a machine gun was suicide, as it concentrated the fire power of a whole infantry company into a single team of 2 guys.

And if it was suicide for the cavalry, it was even more so for infantry, as it was slower.
The result ? Infantry would have charge an enemy position if it was just for your usual rifle fire... but a machine gun nest was such a force multiplier that infantry wouldn't charge.
(or rather, they would charge and then dive for whatever cover they could, being pinned down).

Fast, unarmored dudes were useless because a single machine gun could take them out well before any artillery gun had a chance to even shot (let alone score) a single hit.
Trenches developped as an answer against direct fire weapons first.
And artillery was the only answer against said trenches until tanks got rolling.
>>
>>50318318

Leadup to WWII

> Germany begins to rebuild its armies in violation of the Versallies treaty, but France and Britain remain complascent, trusting in the massive fortifications of the Maginot line to protect them
> The Sturmtruppen are re-created, focussing on moderate armour and great speed
> Britain, France and the US have only small corps of armoured troops, relegating them to the back burner due to budget contstraints and the old guard clogging the upper echelons of command
> The Japanese begin experimenting on Chinese civillians in Manchuria, testing forms of physical and psychological torture in order to produce traumatised batteries for the Harvester
> Russia emerges from the chaos as the USSR, but is greatly weakened by territorial losses to the Japanese in Siberia, and rebellious provinces in central asia
> The spanish civil war sees Russian volounteers experimenting with the ultra-light BT suit series, focussing on speed only and relegating armour to small arms protection only
> Germany takes more and more concessions from its neighbors thanks to the British policy of appeasement
> The invasion of Poland is once again the last straw
> The war kicks off right on schedule
>>
>>50316340
>>50316104
You basically described Last Exile.

Vanships are sexy as hell.
>>
>>50314385
Also just look at aircraft. We don't even ARMOR our aircraft anymore, and the A10 is an outdated piece of shit only useful for shooting goat herders, and not anybody with a functional SAM battery.
>>
>>50316610
>while armored cavalry ride out to intercept them
Motorbikes with an AA gun sidecar
>>
File: b59[1].jpg (128KB, 793x810px) Image search: [Google]
b59[1].jpg
128KB, 793x810px
>ITT
>>
>>50318280
>>50318318
>>50318383

Should I keep going?
>>
>>50318455
yes
>>
File: 1465362922477.jpg (477KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1465362922477.jpg
477KB, 1920x1080px
>>50312977
Sure, why not.
>>
>>50318455
no
lame concept desu
>>
File: image.jpg (127KB, 1000x996px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
127KB, 1000x996px
>>50316610
I read a setting once where the Krauts first tested poison gas on London and accidently killed the Queen. This pissed off the UK so much it caused the war to drag on for decades.
>>
>>50318383

> The Maginot line is indeed too much for the German army to breach
> The French army makes only probing attacks on the Seigfreid line
> After securing Poland, and making small concessions of Polish land to Russia as part of a nonagression treaty, Germany moves on to defeating France
> Re-attempts the schleiffen plan, armoured troops under Rommel rushing though the Netherlands to attack the north of France
> It actually works and France falls
> Battle of Britain unaffected by the use of armoured troops, aircraft with supplementary electrical engines are experimented with, but are of limited use in combat
> Germany turns its forces on Russia and an armoured war ensues across the new eastern front

Meanwhile on the other side of the world-

> Japan's use of manchurian chinese as batteries has paid off, giving them tremendous industrial capacity for their limited resources
> The massive Japanese navy attacks Pearl Harbour and the Phillipines simultaneously, crushing the US navy almost entirely, save for its carrier groups
> Japanese armoured troops see limited deployment, and only with plates thick enough to stop small arms due to the small numbers of artillery in the pacific
> The US joins the war and is forced to abandon the Philipines and Hawaii to their fate, focussing on protecting the vulnerable west coast from the Japanese Navy
> American industry begins supplying arms and armour to the British and Russians, hoping to beat the Germans and then the Japanese in turn

> The war in Russia grinds to a halt over winter, and new Russian T-34 suits with their lighter, angled armour make significant inroads into german-occupied land in the spring
> Germany, becoming desperate, turns to the japanese developed Harvester Plant technology
> Untermensch, political dissidents and criminals are funneled into places designed to manufacture suffering, so that they can be used to fuel german industry
>>
>>50313914
You fantasy setting where you actually took the applications of magic to its last consequences is, very likely, more garbage and boring than a run of the mill "medieval france with dragons"
>>
>>50318081
>but said energy source would NOT just be better off used in planes and tanks and things.
>flying suits
FUCKING FLYING SUITS
>>
>>50318339
A heavily armored dude in power armor would very vulnerable to an anti-material rifle, though.
>>
>>50318685
>>50318455
For the love of fuck, KEEP FUCKING GOING.

Definitely think that Korea would be changed by power infantry. Nam would be a fucking kerbstomp by the USA, though.
> Armour in jungle
> Miniguns everywhere
> VC hiding behind a tree? CHOP IT THE FUCK DOWN WITH BULLETS
> Jet aircraft partly powered by the crew for boosts

The middle east is tank and helicopter country all over, though, so I'm unsure how stuff would be affected there.
Definitely want to see armoured infantry patrolling Berlin on wheels, though.
>>
>>50318685

> German industry gets a kick in the pants, oil and coal that would have gone to power stations going instead to ships, trains and planes
> Allied bombing raids do minimal damage to German industry, and numbers of Panzer suits on the front increase hugely
> Based on the Soviet KV concept, Germany creates the Tiger suit
> Tremendously large and powered by a crewman, and one "battery" in a sealed container, the Tiger suits tear chunks out of Russian forces
> Russia begins to lose again, battle of Stalingrad becomes the bloodiest field in human history
> Desperate to relieve the pressure on their Soviet allies, Britain and the US embark on the Normandy landings with amphibious armoured suits
> The landings are a success, but hundreds of suits are lost to malfunction in the sea or are destroyed by anti-armour weapons
> A running battle lasts for weeks through the hedgerows of Normandy, Sherman type suits and Panzers clashing
> Once the allies break out of Normandy and into the open ground of france, the German Tigers can come into play, causing serious damage to allied forces
> France re-enters the war, citizens rising up to destroy railway lines, fuel depots and ammo dumps, deeply wounding the German war effort
> Border violations by french milita nearly bring Italy (which had remained neutral in the Great War) into the war
> Allies capture an intact Tiger and discover the "battery"
> The US secretly begins their own project on Japanese citizens in US interment camps
> The Japanese army decides against further progress into Russia, focus on conquering Indonesia, Malaysia, Burma, and India
> Save for a few naval bombardments on shipyards, and the blockading of the Panama canal, Japan ignores the mainland US
>>
File: IMG_2145.jpg (125KB, 750x936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2145.jpg
125KB, 750x936px
>>50314930
Pick related is actually an older version of this
>>
>>50319280

> Germany is eventually pushed back to the old French border, and the Maginot line is put back into action
> Fighting continues in the Netherlands
> British and American navies attempt to force their way into the Baltic but are stopped from clearing mines by german bombers
> Germany opens the war in north africa to prevent Britain from supplying Russia as it did in the Great War
> The US begins the Manhattan project
> Japan conquers the islands of the pacific, Australia and New Zeeland prepare for an invasion
> ANZAC forces begin producing the Ned Kelly inspired Templeton suit design
> India holds thanks to its mountainous borders, but unrest is fanned by Japanese agents promising Indian independence from Britain
> Without the fear of japanese interference, Russia moves its industry to the Urals
> Gulags used as a power source, peasants are drafted and sent to fight with extremely limited supplies while the red army builds up its stocks of suits
>>
>>50313613
>>50313759

I think they would end up being outfitted on shock troops to be used in conjunction with tanks. A lot of WWI is the repetition of hammer and anvil with a hard on for flanking.

Let the tanks and basic bitches be the brunt of your attack while an Armored group pressures a flank into rolling up the enemy into your primary force.

Which means that the armored group would have to be able to efficiently deliver devastating stuff like flammenwerfers, machine guns, grenades, maybe auto-shotguns depending on the science behind the advancement.

Though, this would all be predicated on Germany breaking the blockade somehow and not just starving to death. Maybe America stays neutral and tells the Brits to stop fucking with their trade deals.

Could be interesting...
>>
>>50318004
>ordinary joes in several tonens of steel are tho
>>
>>50318103
kek'd
>>
>>50317937
>>
File: sentinelles2couv_87284[1].jpg (59KB, 400x528px) Image search: [Google]
sentinelles2couv_87284[1].jpg
59KB, 400x528px
>>50313023
There's a french comic with that exact setting.
>>
>>50318553
fuck off

>>50318455
keep going pls
>>
>>50318877
Exactly :
It's great that they are armored, meaning most of the small arm fire would be useless against them.
But that doesn't make them invincible.

A few of them, scattered through the front in a support role, would become firemagnets and, once AT weapons arise, the armored dudes would be neutralized quickly.

A whole bataillon of armored dudes charging in a single point would make a breakthrough if only because they would be too many of them compared to the amount of AT weapons.
But they would then attract all the artillery in the area.
>>
>>50319496
>the Ned Kelly inspired Templeton suit
shit, this is fucking great
>>
>>50319616
earlytanks.wav
>>
>>50319496

> British and US industry lagging behind severely due to the lack of suffering-plants
> Russia launches the battle of Kursk, smashing through the german lines near Stalingrad and encircling the 4th army
> Germany re-routes troops to deal with the Russian breakout
> The Allies take the opportunity and push into northern Germany via the Netherlands
> Capturing airfields allows for air superiority over the Baltic
> Second naval invasion via the north of Prussia, Berlin is threatened
> German high command assassinates Hitler, Goering becomes the de-facto leader and attempts to argue a peace deal
> Allies refuse
> Germany petitions Japan to take the pressure off
> Japan attacks across Siberia, capturing several industrial towns
> Russia forced to stop advances in Europe to fend off the Japanese
> Allies slowly but surely take more and more land, superior german suits cannot compete with the numbers of Sherman type suits produced by Britain and the US, energy advantage matters less and less
> Germany is occupied and Berlin is beseiged, Germany forced to surrender
> Tensions rise between Russia and the Allies as new borders are drawn up
> The US stages a breakout from the panama canal, naval war occurs in the pacific
> ANZAC offensives in Indonesia and Malaysia succeed easily as the bulk of Japans armies are fighting in Siberia
> India goes into full-scale revolt, Britain abandons it and India becomes independant ala Ireland
> Chinese milita supplied with T-34 suits begin harassing Japanese forces in China, Japanese suits are comparatively underdeveloped and are easilly destroyed
> US completes the Manhattan project
>>
File: ohshit.gif (78KB, 512x342px) Image search: [Google]
ohshit.gif
78KB, 512x342px
>>50319637
>> US completes the Manhattan project
[escalating f e a r ]
>>
>>50319637

> Japan is on the back foot, US navy is on their doorstep
> The first nuclear weapon is tested on Bikini Atoll, deliberately where Japanese forces will witness it
> The surrender of Japan is demanded, the japanese instead propose to a permanent ceasefire in order to satisfy the requirements of Bushido
> The Allies refuse
> Hiroshima and Nagasaki are nuked
> Russian offensives capture the Manchurian Harvester Plants
> Japan is forced to surrender, and Hirohito dissapears in the chaos
> An uneasy truce is drawn up, chunks of Allied-occupied China become their own nations
> Communist China takes Manchuria as a gift from the Soviets
> Peace breaks out, and ensues for a few short years
>>
>>50314521
But the tank didn't cost millions, it couldn't be destroyed with one grenade, and it was impervious to small arms fire. Basically, you're a fucking idiot who doesn't know what they're talking about. Also
>Bringing /pol/ into it in the second sentence
Faggot
>>
>>50319740

> Geneva convention altered to ban Harvester Plants
> Russia and China maintain their Harvester Plants in secret behind the iron curtain
> In the US, hollywood devises a new way to make use of Harvester energy
> Movies designed to excite and terrify are produced, theatre-goers produce Harvester energy as they watch
> While not as effective as the Japanese-devised form, this allows US industry to remain competetive
> Russia and China boom economically, building their factories and infrastructure massively
> When dissidents are in short supply, a holiday lottery allows for a steady supply of Batteries
> Communist influence spreads into capitalist Veitnam, Laos, Thailand and Korea
> Communist uprisings occur, both sides funnel volunteers and new top-of-the-line suits to the guerillas
> T-54 and Patton suits duel in the highlands of Korea and the jungles of Vietnam
> Tensions rise between East and West and the cold war begins

Thats all I've got, feel free to expand wherever
>>
>>50317838
>>50317914
Gallipoli failed because they didn't understand the terrain going in. Churchill fucked up big time.

I mean sure, you can have power armour that scales sheer cliff faces. OR with a bit more imagination you can have jet pack ANZACs, from Gallipoli to Flanders.
>>
>>50319874

The thing that would make power armour viable in turkey is the topography of the land. Its too hilly for accurate artillery fire, so power armoured troops could be very effective without that on their heads
>>
File: armour_front.png (436KB, 513x642px) Image search: [Google]
armour_front.png
436KB, 513x642px
>>50319496
>>50319622
>>
>>50319838
No War on Terror?
>>
>>50316635
Honestly, DH/DW with the old power armor rules would fit nicely.

Inefficient yet devastating, has limited operation time, explains why they're not putting it on every soldier.
>>
>>50317578
I think power armor would only become a necessity after the Russians bow out and the war becomes focused on one intense front.

Maybe Tsarists hold out a bit longer with their new contingent of Trench-Busters. Germans throw some aide towards the Reds which gains them some materiel backing once the revution is won which would also aide in prolonging the war to the point that the suits make sense.
>>
>>50320154

The war on terror may not occur in this history.

With nuclear power and Harvester energy, fossil fuels will be much less necessary. The incentive to go in and muck about with the dictators of the middle east is significantly reduced. This prevents the rise of Jihadis for the most part
>>
>>50319280
The Tigers actually helped Germany to lose the war, just like the V2 rocket. Spamming Panthers would have been a better tactic.
>>
File: 115.png (699KB, 1086x720px) Image search: [Google]
115.png
699KB, 1086x720px
>>50312977
>Alternate WWI scenairo
>Hand tanks are created to end the stalemates created by entrenchment instead of tanks.
>>
>>50319838
I'm assuming conventional armor is also used, but nobody cares because the suits are the glamorous things now? Also, this is very Monsters Inc, and I like it.
>>
>>50312977
I'm mad at the fucking sword the armor dude is wielding. Shit for confined trench work, held by an unagile soldier weighed down by armor who can't run down unarmored infantry in melee, outclassed by a mace or hammer against armored troops and extra weight wasted on something that isn't extra ammo for the gun

It might look cool but it's fucking shit.
>>
>>50315176
A Shell landing directly on the tank will almost always destroy it, or render it unable to continue fighting. The catch is that the area of a tanks roof compared to the error of a early to mid 20th century artillery shell is very low, making a direct hit unlikely. In fact even a modern laser or satellite guided shell would be hard pressed to land on the roof of a single, stationary tank more than one time in a few.

Now in the event of a near miss, you have shell fragments and the edges of the pressure wave to deal with, which on more modern tanks can cause problems with sensitive systems (mostly sensors or communication gear) and on very old tanks (WWI and Interwar period) shell fragments could sometimes penetrate side or rear armor.
>>
Ww1 was fought by terminator robots.
I have improved ww1.
>>
>>50312977

Everyone talks about power armour, but unpowered full plate was around 50 - 60 lbs and depended on angels and curvature to deflect blows and arrows. Would something like that be feasible? A man on a trench raid wouldn't be carrying much more than ammo anyways. Or perhaps some sort of lighter armour with a tower shield of some sort? Admittedly this still leaves the problem of barbed wire, but would be more probable than powered armour in the early 1900's.

And while the lewis gun is cool, wouldn't a trench gun (read: shot gun) and a shorter sword have made more sense?
>>
>>50320925
Breastplates were used in WW1, but they weren't good for much except deflecting pistol shots at long range.

Assuming they invented some sort of super steel that was just as strong but half the weight, I could see knights maki,g a bit of a resurgence if they could be immune to machine guns.

Of course, you'd still have people making armored trucks with the same material, which will turn into tanks anyway.

I really do think the best way to have armored individuals in place of tanks is to give them a big barrier shield they can hold and advance with to cover nearby troops like a mobile wall.

Of course, then you have to justify why it isn't on the sides or front of a tank instead, though the justification there might just be that the field can only be projected in a specific size and shape and can't overlap, meaning it's hard to get outward coverage on a tank. You'd have to make it an odd shape, you'd be wasting coverage area, and it'd be hard to redirect quickly. In addition, it doesn't benefit the tank as much when it's already immune to small arms fire.

Something like that could justify the man portable shields instead, as they can fill the role of a tank to protect an advance like a shield wall.
>>
>>50318135
>>50318121
Both wrong. Troops stayed put because the logistical chain couldn't move forward, but could move backwards.

Congratulations, you've broken through the first trench line. They've moved their guns back to their second trench line, and are still raining shells on you by the thousands, and you have zero artillery support and need to take off your stupid power armor.
>>
How fucking tiny is europe that you couldnt go around the trenches?
>>
File: ASSAULT-SQUAD.jpg (273KB, 1307x493px) Image search: [Google]
ASSAULT-SQUAD.jpg
273KB, 1307x493px
>>50321146

Well, they did have aluminium, and with only a marginal increase in thickness. 1/4" would be 3/8"s etc it would do the job, with a drastic reduction in weight.

And if it were curved/angled like tank armour is/was, like pic related, with a shield might be enough for trench clearing? Not as a replacement for tanks, but as specific tool for specific job. Might also be good for bunker clearing.
>>
>>50319584
It's basically a WW2 capefag-series though. None of the concepts ever got into mass-production.
>>
File: WWI Armor.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
WWI Armor.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>50313023
>Powered
>Armor
You mean 1916 instead of 1918
>>
>>50319740
>> Japan is on the back foot, US navy is on their doorstep

That was basically day 1 of the war. The US mined their harbours and shipping lanes pretty early on already.
>>
>>50321258
IIRC the western front was in the 800km range
>>
>>50320450
The War on Terror wasn't about fossile fuel though, it was pretty much a blood sacrifice to appease US American white voters.
>>
>>50321258
We also had a wall, though it mainly worked due to the Mexicans shooting everybody who wanted out.
>>
>>50321399
We're still not appeased.
>>
stop raping history
>>
All these points for and against power armor only calls for things like power segways or go-go-gadget hat copter.

Or parachutes
>>
>>50318130
Why is it that the air battleships always make me hard?
>>
>>50320450
Nonsense, shipping a la the Suez canal and silk road routes outside of USSR/Russia give a direct path of trade between Asia and Europe over water and land. Economically it's a vital point, and the politics in the middle east today are more due to Cold War (see Egypt, Israel, Syria, Iran, Iraq, etc) issues than purely oil.

Take Syria for example, the reason the US is there today is to break a longtime Russian ally and missile staging site on the Mediterranean away in part due to Russian aggression in Eastern Europe - Russians pushing into Ukraine/Crimea is a response to Nato's pressure in former soviet border states. Etc.
>>
>>50319579
>>50317095
They're actually from Dystopian Legions. They're Prussian Empire Teutonic Knights.
Fuck spartan games though
>>
File: the things ive seen.png (63KB, 172x166px) Image search: [Google]
the things ive seen.png
63KB, 172x166px
>>50314930
A British infantryman's kit weighed 70lbs (~30kg) in 1914.

Why would they put another 60lb of armor plate over the poor bastard?
>>
>>50321258
Well, they tried that, but then they added more trenches down the sides until they ran out of Belgium.
>>
>>50322167
Why didn't they just make more Belgium? The Dutch managed it, didn't they?
>>
File: Mattis.jpg (96KB, 550x500px) Image search: [Google]
Mattis.jpg
96KB, 550x500px
>>50321500
Trump's appointing a secretary of defense nicknamed "The Mad Dog," whose call-sign when he was in the military was "Chaos."

We're about to go full Blood for the Blood God.
>>
>>50322293
Imo it's better to have a good war minister under a peaceful ruler than a shitty war minister under a war like ruler.

Here's hoping that they go with a Roosevelt way of "talking softly while carrying a big stick".
>>
>>50322275
Belgium is landlocked. The trenches were also a huge undertaking, because there was no 'around'. As fast as you could build supply lines and fortifications, the other side could too. They obliterated FORESTS with that shit. Not just digging trenches through and smashing them to pieces with artillery, but also to make the structure and duckboards from wood. And it still flooded because the water table was ground level BEFORE they smashed all the drainage and soil structure with artillery.
They're still finding shells in their fields a century on.
>>
>>50322365

>trump
>*ing softly

Nigga, do you even know who we elected?
>>
>>50322418
The candidate who wasn't actively trying to start a war with Russia.
>>
>>50322365
We'll see where it goes.

It would be interesting to see what a modern military could do to ISIS if freed from rules of engagement and the failed strategy of "winning hearts and minds" that has prevailed for the last few administrations.
>>
>>50322418
>Nigga, do you even know who we elected?

I honestly don't think anybody does, seeing as how Campaign Trump is pretty much nothing but a persona.
>>
>>50322521

There's little doubt the lifting of those restrictions would result in a lot of dead IS fighters. IS held cities could be leveled easily. But it's not like the resulting death toll among the civilian population would be without consequences.
>>
>>50313817

But that IS the premise, power armor is developed instead of tanks, which implies that the technology researched to get there beforehand was vastly different to what was down in the actual period. Even the worst cogfop knows that a technological innovation is never made in isolation; the reason you see steam-powered tanks, cars, and power armor there is because developing steam engines light enough to practically propel airships made all of the below possible in the first place.

Moreover, this is World War One, where all the major powers were throwing everything and the kichen sink against the wall (which is why you end up in situations where armored men with shields and maces that wouldn't be a stranger to the 1500s are fighting alongside tanks in the first place) and whatever breakthrough in science that allows powered armor, be it engines, materials, or else, would and probably will be applied to aircraft who would always benefit from these things themselves and are probably the "star" when it comes to the World War's innovations no matter how you look at it.

Finally, as >>50317994 states, power armor would do no more to single-handledly win the war than the tank did; it's another type of unit that together with cavalry, infantry, and artillery composes as coherent force, and its presence would herald developments alongside these to properly support it.

The only way you could get a situation where power armor is inserted into the setting without affecting the underlying technology (which runs into the issue of tanks being developed eventually anyway), aside from the mentions of having the armor be powered by torment and stress, would be for a third-party power to develop the armor and ship it to the Entendre/Central Powers without the knowledge on how to develop the device themselves: a similar scenario is found in 50s Middle East where muzzle-loading musketmen and bombards might find themselves supported by T-34s donated by the USSR.
>>
>>50322160
because the brass are disconnected from the realities on the ground?
>>
>>50313127
Hey, I own the razor on the far right

It's shit.
>>
>>50320695

The suits probably have a mistique about them, like knights in shining armour. The guys in the heavy infantry would be heroes to their countrymen
>>
>>50322521
>the failed strategy of "winning hearts and minds"
Want to know how I know you have no clue how to beat an insurgency.

>freed from rules of engagement
Way to remove any doubt.
>>
>>50322160
Because a heavily encumbered soldier remains more useful than one who's been shot to pieces, and is probably happier about it all too. Now unfortunately the armour often failed in achieving the "not shot", but with machine guns moving down troops all around I don't think we can fault them for trying.

>>50322429
Just look at how well all that worked out for Chamberlain, and how kind history has been to him.

Though I guess it's rather Mosley who's gotten elected here.
>>
>>50322937
>power armored knights leading the charge across no mans land
>each one supported by large squads of troops
>they become huge fire magnets because their hardened armor can take it, allowing the more agile but squishy infantry to survive
>artillery will doom them, so they have to commit to the charge before they aim the guns, its all or nothing
>super-strength allows a single person to carry a vickers gun and ammo by himself for suppressing the defenders
sounds awesome
>>
File: Carousel Jutland 02.jpg (155KB, 980x447px) Image search: [Google]
Carousel Jutland 02.jpg
155KB, 980x447px
>>50322275
Oh hello there.
>>
>>50322418
Fuck knows. The guy doesn't appear to firmly believe anything.
>>
>>50322570
>>50323262
This. Everyone's salting over him getting in when like, the only consistent views he's had are "Donald Trump is a really great guy"
>>
>>50322418
I really wish I did. He has walked back, or flat out denied making, so many statements, I honestly don't know where he stands on nearly every issue.

>>50322429
>The candidate who wasn't actively trying to start a war with Russia.
Putin is not dumb enough to go to actual war with the US, just as the US military isn't stupid enough to start a war with Russia. Both sides know exactly where such a war would end up, and both sides know the second strike capabilities of the other would result in their utter devastation.

In short the "HRC will start a war with Russia" meme was a successful bit of propaganda, that idiots like you seemed to have swallowed hook line and sinker.

PS, I didn't vote for HRC, I just know bullshit when I see it.
>>
>>50323180
>the clusterfuck in the middle east can still be solved completely by the same methods that have been around for basically forever
>because all COIN operations are all under exactly the same circumstances and against the same foes
Nigga please. Say what you like about their competence, but muslim extremists (ISIS in particular, of course) make the commie guerillas of the Cold War look halfhearted. You sure as hell ain't dissuading them or the people who feel strongly enough about it to join them, no matter how many leaflet drops you try.

>the only way to beat an insurgency is to engage them on an ideological level, military action is a waste of time
Anon, whatever happened to the Tamil Tigers?
>>
>>50323322
>Putin is not dumb enough to go to actual war with the US
He seems to be having a LOT of fun poking NATO/the west in general with some crimea- and Assad-shaped pointy sticks
>>
Thread's devolved into politics, abandon thread.

>>50323411
>Anon, whatever happened to the Tamil Tigers?
Still a threat, still keeping a childhood friend of mine from going back there.
Her mother used to own a shitton of land out there, until the tsunami scoured it clean.

A better example would be the Islamic Courts Union in Somalia. They tried to set up an islamic state there, but got shut down hard when Ethiopia got sick of their shit being flung over the borders and rolled tanks in.
As it turns out, technicals don't really have enough punch to deal with T-55s.
>>
>>50323441
>He seems to be having a LOT of fun poking NATO/the west in general with some crimea- and Assad-shaped pointy sticks
It is called probbing. Basically, you made small scale moves, often by astroturfing like crimea or using a shitty alliance that you never cared all that much, in hopes of grabbing as much as you can before receiving a ultimatum or similar. Of course, Putin really overestimated how powerful Russia economy really was, and a few years of western embargo have run russian economy into the ground.
>>
>>50323776
*shitty alliance that you never cared all that much like in Syria
>>
>>50317907
Sigint's speech is pretty Ironically really because the MGS universe solved all these issues with space age metals and nanomachines.

Hell, the future of warfare in Metal gear is cyborgs with swords.

Guns become obsolete.
>>
>>50317994
A Britain owned middle east would be fucking terrifying when it comes to geo-political and Resource worth.
>>
>>50318318
>>50318280

America would just get slaughtered wholesale because the American military was vastly underprepared and underfunded even during NORMAL WW1.
>>
>>50317907
>The weapon to surpass Metal Gear
>Were the tanks all along
>>
>>50323885

"Obsolete" is the incorrect word. More like, with the intensity of conflict going on in the MGverse, guns of the calibers still practical aren't really useful for infiltrating the inside of an office building; Raiden would look like a jackass trying to sneak with a browning, even if he could easily carry it.

Unless you're keen with mounting swords on helicopters and tanks, which though awesome, isn't really the aesthetic I think Kojima was going for.
>>
>>50323885
>Sigint's speech is pretty Ironically really because the MGS universe solved all these issues with space age metals and nanomachines.
No, they solved it with author fiat and nonsense.
>>
File: Donald_Anderson.jpg (15KB, 173x500px) Image search: [Google]
Donald_Anderson.jpg
15KB, 173x500px
>>50323885
Even more ironic that he oversaw the creation of REX many years later.
>>
>>50324201
>>50324205

The funny thing about the Metal Gears is that after the first couple games they aren't even the focal point of the series anymore; the technology that allowed them to exist in the first place and its effect on society is.
>>
>>50319821
>You made up details of the design JUST TO POKE HOLES IN THEM

He's doing a thing there. It's on purpose.
>>
>>50324225
>The funny thing about the Metal Gears is that after the first couple games they aren't even the focal point of the series anymore; the technology that allowed them to exist in the first place and its effect on society is.
I though the focus was on nonsensical plotlines and Kojima failed movie making carrer.
>>
>>50324297
That too.
>>
>>50324205
>>50324297
Metal Gear REX, while powerful, was mostly a money laundering scheme. The Genome soldiers and video game training were frequently mentioned as game changers in the world. Yes, REX is extremely dangerous, able to be a threat in Ace Combat and Battle tech, but it was hiding a lot of the precursor technology to 2 and 4, and even MGR to an extent.
>>
>>50313394
yup, and that fucking sword, it would be useless in trench warfare, hell, troops used their sword bayonets to make toast.
>>
>>50318081
That's metal as shit and I love it.
>>
>>50318081
>>50318088

Hi there, Asdrubael Vect here with another fantastic product!
>>
>>50318128
Holy shit
thats fucking awesome
>full machine spirit
Machines powered by trapped men
This is fucking metal as all hell
>>
>>50325096
>Machine spirits are people!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IKVj4l5GU4
>>
>>50313066
>>50313023
This, that would be amazing
>>
File: 2spooky.gif (872KB, 400x226px) Image search: [Google]
2spooky.gif
872KB, 400x226px
>>50313023
It's powered by souls.

WWII kicks off when Hitler wants to power a very, VERY big weapon
>>
Any scenario that increases offensive capability means German victory in 14
>>
>>50325544
what, like how tanks were supposed to be instawin for the Entente?
>>
>>50312977
Men with just packs and rifles were sucked into the mud to drown in the Battle of Passchendaele and you want to put them in giant armored suits?
>>
>>50315556
you mean like when full plate armor was invented?
>>
>>50315634
>It is obviously impossible to build powered armour in the first world war. The materials weren't up to it, a suitable power source didn't exist, sufficiently small and powerful actuators didn't exist, there was no way to keep it on its feet and no way for the user to control it.

we know anon, but this is a "what if" thread, so what if we had the conditions to make such armor? (and for some reason made the armor instead/along side the obviously more convenient things we could have done with that technology)
>>
>>50320925
The Sturmtruppen were issued heavy armor, they tossed it out and only kept the Stahlhelm which would become the basis for modern military helmets.

Popular misconseption says WW1 assaults failed because of enemy defences, when in fact those could be completely destroyed by artillery, the reason attacks failed was because of enemy counterattack and the inability to bring up supplies and artillery through the muddy cratered terrain.
>>
>>50325632
No like how krauts nearly made it to Paris taking a quarter of French industry along the way. There were no trench systems and Britain barely had an army at this point.
>>
>>50313127
>meanwhile on ArtStation
>>
>>50318719
But Eberron is a better D&D setting than Forgotten Realms.
>>
>>50323238
>introducing special armor hunters armed with High velocity ap rifles to take out other armored suits
>>
>>50312977
>Alternate Late Middle Ages scenario
>Bigger armor is created to keep it relevant against guns
>>
>>50325834

Oh, I understand why they failed and logistically problems offensives had during WW1. But, I'm not debating those facts, merely hypothesizing if any sort of fully armoured soldier would have been even possible during that era.
>>
>>50313127
>20 seconds in the future
>the government regulates all neets
>neckbeards are illegal
>Swat Shave Special Squad moves into another dissident
>>
>>50327984
I need this, my idiot friends have been wearing them recently and it looks like absolute ass.
>>
>>50323776
Should have diversified out of fossil fuels. Even the cartels realized that drugs alone couldn't carry them forever.
>>
>>50314521
MY GOD I CAN ACTUALLY TASTE THE BAIT and it had salt in it.
>>
File: Indiana-Neidell.jpg (113KB, 1715x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Indiana-Neidell.jpg
113KB, 1715x1000px
>>50312977
>100 years ago, this day, November 20th, 1916, the first of the famous and frightening colossi were deployed in the Somme by the British
>They were meant to arrive earlier, as part of an offensive on the thirteenth to to deliver a stunning blow to top off the battle at the Somme, to impress the other members of the Entente before a conference at Chantilly. The attack failed, and the colossi were not present to bolster it
>Colossi armor was immediately touted upon its deployment as the weapon that could end the war! Handfuls of men, impervious to small arms, marching across the muddy wastes between trenches could break the Huns and not take a single loss doing it, it was claimed. That proved untrue. Men wearing suits were high priority targets, and the Germans quickly improvised new, larger grenades to deal with the suits
>Just as with the tanks the colossi were deployed on a larger scale throughout the war than by the Germans or Austro-Hungarians, due theeasier access to resources for the Entente
>They would however be deployed in later offensives, where they would prove very effective at both taking and holding German trenchs. However, they were hard to maintain, and not very numerous. It was a very real danger that a man in a colossi might run out of ammunition because of the amount of fighting he could perform, not because the rest of his unit might lack ammo for him, but because he might outlast them in a firefight
>One, Douglas C. Murrow, described the feeling of his first deployment as being like "an angry titan among his children." He was first into a German trenchline, held it while losing all his fellow platoon members, ran out of ammunition, and was nearly capturedwhen he was toppled and immobilized by a pair of German privates.He undid his harnesses, stabbed one of the men who'd knocked him down in the thigh, and miraculously managed to run all the way across no-mans land to the British lines, the only surviror of his unit
>This, was modern war
>>
File: image.jpg (210KB, 800x571px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
210KB, 800x571px
> Trench Breakers don't often ride in vehicles
> but when they do its in Giant Land Armourclads
I mean its only common sense.
>>
>>50328816
>The main problem with ww2 BOLO tanks was the weight.
>New lighter materials make them viable.
It's perfect...
>>
>>50328828
>>The main problem with ww2 BOLO tanks was the weight.
And their size, their lack of speed, and how vulnerable they were to air strikes, artillery, and in urban environments
>>
File: Εικόνα1.jpg (233KB, 947x1412px) Image search: [Google]
Εικόνα1.jpg
233KB, 947x1412px
Armchair generals get out
>>
It did happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5FPHZmmN9I
>>
>>50312977
bump
>>
>>50328099
wearing neckbeards?
>>
>>50328816
>That thing
Was that the 50s concept of tacticool?
>>
>>50328619
kek
>>
>>50323411

You're an idiot who doesn't understand NATO has been backing Russia into a corner the last few years. Putin isn't stupid enough to go to war unprovoked, but desperate? Consider checking more news sources than Huffington Post or Vox.
>>
>>50328619
Top Kek, read it all in his voice.
>>
File: 1458089303110.png (109KB, 400x419px) Image search: [Google]
1458089303110.png
109KB, 400x419px
On the one hand, I realize OP deciding to ask about it in terms of a real war was bad, and that this couldn't work within that context.

On the other, the autistic sperg-lords bitching about how awful and terrible this idea is really can just fuck off to their historical wargamming. Really guys, it is a fun though experiment to imagine how a world that uses this technology comes about.

We are the world-builders. We are the game masters. It is our job to make things like this seem possible, not because it really happened, but because that is fun and interesting. Stop being antifun. Stop flaming so much, contribute to the idea. If you think there is a flaw with part of the premise, then show how you would change it in a reasonable manner. Be excellent dues.
>>
>>50322429
>dumb meme
>>
>>50328816
>OGRE Prototype
>>
>>50321538
because battleships are cool, and so are aircraft. So air battle ships have twice the awesome factor
>>
> Late 1915, Special Regiments of the Royal Engineers are deployed on the western front and the Gallipoli peninsula.
> These highly trained men are the first of the Empire's troops to be equipped with the Mk I, Infantry, Utility, Armour "Cuirassier" powered armour system, a terrifying new invention that grants an individual soldier the strength to withstand direct hits from rifles, and carry a fully loaded Lewis Gun.
> The Royal Corps of Signals is expanded to provide the highly trained soldiers needed to lay and repair the long cables connected to the suits across no man land to provide the electricity required for them to function.

Kinda makes me want to write something about one of the signallers.
>>
>The greatest creation to come from the development of Trench Breaker armor is the discovery of Adamant Cores.
>Adamant Cores are stacks of refined metal plates that create an energy dense battery that can store and discharge the needed energy to replace most standard combustion engines needing only to be replaced and connected to such in order to recharge them
>>
>>50312977
I still see mud as being the biggest obstetrical to this working. The rest can be covered more or less by rule of cool. Do we just say they came with attachable snowshoes? Or were just used more in theaters of battle where mud was a non issue, (so most of them really).
>>
>>50326675
>turns out specialised armour hunters had been dominant in doctrine prior to WWII but turned out to not be versatile enough to be useful against anything else
>mildly hard counter against suits, but get mown the fuck down by the teams that were less specialised but still had SOME antiarmour capability
>basically a mirror of the Tank Destroyer vs Tank vs Assault Gun shitstorm that we had in our timeline
>>
>>50332460
Same anon here, huffpost is fucking awful. Don't care how many puppy eyes Putin pulls - NATO's a paper alliance with barely any members who actually meet the defence spending recommendations, so he of all people should be able to see how shitty their bluff is - you don't just go fucking anschluss out of the blue like that. You just don't.
>>
File: 1476390363177.png (118KB, 500x641px) Image search: [Google]
1476390363177.png
118KB, 500x641px
>>50314114
>>
>>50312977
>>50313613
any more artwork like this? is good insparation for an inquistor warband im working on
>>
>>50333535
The NATO don't have to drop bombs to defeat Russia. Simple economic embargo was and is enough to make Putin admit defeat.
>>
>>50312977
I don't like this idea of power armor existing in WW1, but I do like the idea of "trench breakers" that are man-based rather than tank-based.

It's also a shame some of the neat breastplates of the era never really stuck around.

>>50334061
Isn't that what NATO is already doing? Didn't that make landlocked Belarus' number one export to Russia fish?
>>
>>50334086
I don't think you need the power part, more the armor part. A personal suit of armor that could stand up to machine gun fire might be enough for that sort of heavy infantry role.
>>
File: deletlater.jpg (156KB, 1200x882px) Image search: [Google]
deletlater.jpg
156KB, 1200x882px
> Armour is expensive as fuck
> Only the most skilled soldiers can be issued with it
> sufficiently rich families can buy if for their sons for added protection/honor
> In England these families are largely nobility
> Sons put coat of arms on their Armour before going into battle
> Knighthood effectively makes a comeback

Also I'm gonna point out that this is as good an excuse as any to have girls in Power Armour running around. Just saying
>>
>>50334086
>Isn't that what NATO is already doing?
Yep. This kind of thing takes time to really force the leadership to compromise, but russian economy have really weny down the gutter since the begining of the embargo.
>>
>>50321344
I need a sauce on where to get those... For science
>>
>>50334219
>that could stand up to machine gun fire
>don't think you need the power part
Anon, I'd love to see you try and storm some trenches while wearing several hundred pounds of steel all over the bits that are already overloaded
>>
>>50335070
You'd need fantastical materials sure, but that doesn't require power armor. Have something as strong as steel with half the weight and a tower shield out of the same.

You have to make some assumptions of fiction for this to work, but there's more than one way to go about it.
>>
>>50334219
>>50335070
>>50335621
I could imagine that if such a steel existed, the "trench breakers" would be some kind of shock troopers. They'd be the biggest, strongest guys in the army, using huge shields and some kind of punching dagger to lead charges against enemy lines. Their job isn't so much to fight as it is to make sure the guys with bayonets behind them make it to the enemy trenches.

>>50334275
This too. Especially in Republican France this could lead to social upheaval as the lines between bourgeois and nobility begin to blur... again.
>>
>>50335621
Problem with God Tier Material Science handwaving:
You got some ridiculously OP metal? Just make some fucking bullets out of it, and there goes your armour advangae, because you can bet that adamantium-cored AP rounds are going to punch the fuck through any shield you can cobble together
>>
>>50336847
Just because something makes good armor doesn't necessarily mean it makes a good weapon or bullet.
>>
>>50336847

When is the last time you've seen titanium bullets? Heck, titanium is actually worse than steel when it comes to making weapons, as it doesn't hold an edge as well and is lighter making in ineffective as a blunt instrument.
>>
File: Vanguard Final.png (2MB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Vanguard Final.png
2MB, 1200x1200px
>>50312977
>TFW I'm literally working on a game called Trenchbreaker
>It's a WW1-esque Mecha Game
>>
File: Herald WIP3.png (8MB, 3500x3500px) Image search: [Google]
Herald WIP3.png
8MB, 3500x3500px
>>50337992
Basic concept for one country is "What if Nikola Tesla was Pharoah of Egypt?"

Result is pictured: The Shoshkepal M81 Herald of Oblivion, equipped with Arc Khopesh, Discharger cannon, and Teleforce Beam
>>
>>50313023
>>50313066
I have mech/power armor in me Weird World War 2 setting.

The premise is that a couple of alien arcraft crashed on earth.
The only thing that humans were really able to use was the pseudo-muscle the ships used instead of hydraulics, because it was self-replicating given the right materials.

Mostly I just wanted a flimsy excuse for Diesel Powered Armor. (The diesel generator is used to provide power instead of a battery)
>>
>>50314930
>eye flaps, or hinged eyebrows for signaling facial dismay/joy?
>>
File: skyship final small.png (405KB, 671x343px) Image search: [Google]
skyship final small.png
405KB, 671x343px
>>50338035
Relating to the discussion at the start of the thread, I have looked at the implications of mecha technology on other walks of life. Dense power sources actually lead to the early invention of the jet engine, applied as a mover for airships. The Teleforce Beam that Tesla proposed is the primary weapon for the new generation of aerial Battleships.
>>
>>50318004
ever wonder if WWI would have been a lot nicer if the precipitation dropped a couple inches for a decade?
>>
>>50338071
The game itself is a one-or-two platoons scale wargame, focusing on combined arms tactics with mecha, infantry, and offsite support from artillery. The 6'x4' table the game occurs on is no man's land, and each player is defending a table edge that represents their side's trench line while trying to move infantry into the other side's line.

Mecha rules use a damage system where, rather than having hit points, mechs' stats are worn down by fire until they seize up or topple over from damage, becoming less useful as they're fired on.

Rules are here if anyone's curious: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xuClI7USalqwPnPTnVJGjYJwMXL20MtglzVWhFdTBWs/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>>50322293
>you were born just in time to witness the American Crusade
>>
>>50338058
Why would they ever have occasion to display joy? I mean it's a tank. Its either in storage, wrecking shit, or leaving storage on it's way to wreck shit.

>>50338087
> Awful nice war we're having
> Yes this weather simply seals the deal
>>
File: good golly what is this heresy.png (77KB, 266x450px) Image search: [Google]
good golly what is this heresy.png
77KB, 266x450px
>>50325499
>Build giant soul gun
>requires souls in order to function
>load up the tank with Jews, Poles, and Gypsies
>point it at London
>"HERE VE GO!"
>*click*
>...
>*click*
>*click*
>"Ah, right."
>>
>>50312977

A single flamethrower and he's fucked.
>>
>>50313210
>fill a tank with power armor
You don't know how ww1 tanks worked, do you? A fully closed APC didn't show up until ww2, I'm pretty sure.
>>
>>50338586
Wasn't neccessary with the speeds that Tanks moved.

You could just walk behind it at the same pace.
>>
>>50338193
>> Awful nice war we're having
>> Yes this weather simply seals the deal

Kinda makes me think of aliens on a holiday.
Maybe they want to find out what wars are like since they don't have them in their alien utopia.

All the crazy mecha and power armor is a result of them fucking up and giving the locals tech. Or maybe they're doing it intentionally.
>>
>>50338693
Could be a Roadside Picnic type of situation.

>>50338586
The idea there being that the powersuiters need to get over all the broken ground to a point of delivery.
Tank doesn't need guns at that point, just fill it with dudes.
>>
save
>>
haveabump
>>
>>50314115
It's a joke on the trend in modern/sci art a year or so back wherein weird-ass robot heads were put on otherwise normal, human-looking soldiers.
>>
File: Zfvxl0e.jpg (3MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
Zfvxl0e.jpg
3MB, 5472x3648px
I tell you h'what, the heavy weapons that would later be classified as "anti-tank rifles" would be a hell of a lot more prevalent. Now that would be a hell of an arms race.
>>
>>50328619
Nice one, anon
>>
File: 981_001.jpg (158KB, 1013x729px) Image search: [Google]
981_001.jpg
158KB, 1013x729px
>>50322379
>Belgium is landlocked

You failed at geography
>>
>>50325937
Only if the increased offensive capacity kicks before June 1915
>>
>>50320716
Soldiers would continue to carry swords into combat well into the 1950s, anon. It's hardly insane that they would make such a bad decision.
>>
>>50322293
If I recall correctly this guy was one of the more compassionate commanders during the Iraq War.

That probably doesn't amount to much, but at least he seems to value the lives of those under his command.
>>
>>50320716
>The sword is actually a power weapon, its design somehow making it a weird but efficient plasma torch
>>
>>50345725
If I'm not mistaken they were carried by mostly officers, ceremonial troops and cavalry, with the latter becoming outdated soon. Hell, French cuirassiers ditched their shiny cuirasses in about the first week of the war and stopped being useful for anything other than clean-up work rather than the glorious charges they were originally intended for.
>>
>>50325499
There's a setting where people strap mages into the hulls of massive ships and use them to power laser cannons until they die.

Sounds a lot like this.

>>50345858
Could always just give them retractable flail fists.
>>
>>50345858
A sharp bit of metal pointed away from you is always a good thing in battle.
>>
>>50323132
Can confirm, have one too.
>>
>>50338247
You forgot gingers
>>
>>50345858
French cavalry was actually still very effective when deployed correctly. They just couldn't cavalry charge a machine gun nest. Further, the cuirassiers were trained in unmounted combat as well, and were fully capable of supplementing regular infantry.
>>
>>50334061
The embargo is mostly to break European Russian cooperation. Us corps work with russia.
>>
>>50325659
I read that as "Men with jet packs and rifles were sucked into the mud to drown in the Battle of Passchendaele "
>>
>>50346705
>French cavalry was actually still very effective when deployed correctly
>when deployed correctly

Which was never in WW1.
By 1914, cavalry was a prestige unit in the french army.
It hadn't been used as cavalry for decades and rightfully so : .
In the colonies, mounted infantry was precious but only as long as peacekeeping was concerned.
>>
>>50313613
>>50313652
>>50312977

More shit like these; they're awesome.
>>
WWII, but whatever.
>>
>>50317347
horsepower per liter is not a measure of efficiency. In fact, it makes no sense whatsoever. You're looking for kilowatt*hours/L.
>>
>>50338247
>>50325499
I had an idea a while ago for a WWII setting where the Nazis get magic from not!Nyarlathotep and gain magitech weapons that run on suffering, souls, etc. Then people from the future give cybernetic tech to the Americans in an attempt to stop the Nazis from winning the war. Then a hive-like symbiotic alien species lands in Russia.
>>
>>50350157
sounds like shit desu
>>
>>50316385
That's basically the backstory to my current campaign, excluding the power armor part.
>>
File: Iron_Storm_boxart.jpg (51KB, 260x373px) Image search: [Google]
Iron_Storm_boxart.jpg
51KB, 260x373px
>>50316385
I played this game

it was mediocre
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 50

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.