[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/40krpg/ 40k RPG General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 298
Thread images: 39

File: DOOM.jpg (70KB, 409x400px) Image search: [Google]
DOOM.jpg
70KB, 409x400px
Did the general just fucking die while I was asleep? Edition.

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame. Not Chapter Master. Or Space Hulk.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things formerly listed individually on this post.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.45.160417), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now containing some of the DH2 content up to the first supplement.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Fear and Loathing (Ver 1.5.2) and The Fringe is Yours (Ver 1.6.0), /tg/ made Rogue Trader homebrew supplements for playable xenos, Knights, Horus Heresy gear, and other things. Now found in the Homebrew Megafolder.

Additional Resources:
Now found in the Homebrew Megafolder.

Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than you could possibly imagine.
>>
So, what's the most ignoble way one of your characters have died?

I once lost an OW character to a squig attack. I was pretty bummed about it.
>>
File: 1460341129431.png (39KB, 1162x850px) Image search: [Google]
1460341129431.png
39KB, 1162x850px
>>50308042
-Cultist pushed him off a balcony.
-Botched a grenade throw while on 2 wounds.
-Poisoned /both/ glasses in a game of wits, to ensure his enemy would die. Thought he would be able to survive the poison. He did not.
-Fell off a boat, too augmentic to float, sank to the bottom of the sea. Some say he's still down there, walking slowly towards shore.
>>
>>50308042
Tripped and fell infront of a tank
>>
>>50308194
>-Poisoned /both/ glasses in a game of wits, to ensure his enemy would die. Thought he would be able to survive the poison. He did not.
This might be the most player character death I've ever heard.
>>
>>50308650
>Come on, I've got like 50 toughness, what's the worst that could happen?
>>
File: Newman4.jpg (123KB, 460x460px) Image search: [Google]
Newman4.jpg
123KB, 460x460px
>>50308504
>Tripped and fell infront of a tank
lol
>>
>>50308014
>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
>Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than you could possibly imagine.
The initial DH system was created by Black Industires, a part of GW.

>>50308042
Teammate closed the blast doors when I was still between them.

Another instance had me go "I'll draw their fire while you flank them", cue triple righteous fury between the eyes.
>>
Has anyone ever had an entire campaign, or at least a huge chunk of it, take place on one of the "core" worlds of the setting? I was considering doing that with Sepheris Secundus.
>>
>>50309013

That could have repercussions so I tend to avoid it.

The concept of a containment sector is real.
>>
>>50308194
>-Poisoned /both/ glasses in a game of wits, to ensure his enemy would die. Thought he would be able to survive the poison. He did not.
>>
File: IMG_0300.jpg (55KB, 600x959px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0300.jpg
55KB, 600x959px
>>50308014
To liven up this thread a tad: make a regiment that fits this picture.
>>
>>50309226
>That could have repercussions so I tend to avoid it.
As a guy who runs semi-generational games in the same dynasty and regularly features appearances and cameos from PCs from several campaigns ago as movers and shakers: Fucking good, repurcussions are deliciously useful.
>>
>>50309226
What do you mean by containment sector?
>>
File: Salt Powered Robot.jpg (286KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
Salt Powered Robot.jpg
286KB, 900x900px
>>50308042

I left the game early because I had stuff to do the next day. I come in the following Monday, and was told "Oh yeah, it ended up being a TPK. Daemons appeared after you left and the reactor blew up. You need to make a new dude by Saturday."
>"I got like 3 fate, I can burn one doe"
"Can't fate this, no way to survive, make a new guy."

It was this that created my policy of the PC poofing out the millisecond the Player needs to go.
>>
Anyone have any good Deathwatch stories? I was thinking of running a oneshot for my friends.
>>
>>50308042
>So, what's the most ignoble way one of your characters have died?

A BC campaign I participated in once concluded with the party starting squabbling and fighting among themselves after being shot out of orbit by the Inquisition.

Perils were rolled.
Bloodthirsters were summoned.
All characters died hauling their ass off while being picked off one by one by a leisurely strolling Greater Daemon.
>>
I am planning a dh2 game. I had the idea of limiting requition rolls to 3 during times when i cannot control availability and time of acquisition directly (mostly timeskip). The idea is that it would add a management mechanic: you can blow all your rolls to triple the chances of getting a specific item you want, but if you use all your rolls this way you won't get ammo and other supplies.

Thoughts?
>>
>>50310058

It can work. I prefer one acquisition attempt per person at any given time, as well as one Team acquisition that everyone can discuss. Usually they find opportunities every 2-3 games.
>>
>>50309863
I ran a game that went pretty well I think. I don't have my game notes so I'll have to go from memory.

>Kill-Team is requested to assist in recapturing the Crucible of Iron a deep space Explorator research cruiser
>No communications from ship other than repeating distress call
>Crucible is firing on any ship that gets near
>Kill Team is deployed to take bridge
>Inquisitor Ramirez and his entourage of cyborged up stormtroopers are going after engineering
>Boarding torpedo assault
>Hit a cargo bay full of cryotubes that are all empty
>Team absolutely shreds a giganic cargo hauling servitor that came to investigate their arrival
>ghost ship, nothing moving anywhere
>signs of fighting but no corpses
>Arrive at bridge, it's protected by a Skitarii cohort with heavy weapon servitor
>Skitarii are ordered to defend the bridge or die trying
>They die trying
>Almost all of the panels and relays on the bridge have overloaded
>First officer is in command throne, he's been fried by an overload
>Captain nowhere to be found
>Last log entry: Primary Cogitator is fried, Magos-Captain took the bulk of the bridge crew to repair it
>Report back to the Inquisitor who is involved in heavy fighting, asks they check out the Primary Cogitator
>Encounter encounter hormagaunts wandering around.
>Hormagaunts that have been cybernetically enhanced and appear to be in communication with each other via wifi signal
>Fight fight fight
>On the way to the Cogitator find the primary research facilities
>Each laboratorium is compartmentalized with vault doors
>all doors breached, some from inside, some from out
>biggest door is still sealed
>manage to open it
>One crazy old magos who is basically a head with an servo-octopus body of tools
>His acolytes tell the party they haven't communicated with the bridge in 2 decades after the Magos and the Captain had a disagreement about proper specimen storage
>welp, guess he was right.
>Orders were to purge everything on ship, purge magos?
cont
>>
>>50310139
>Forbidden Lore: Mechanicus
>Magos worked with Inquisitor Kryptman to develop anti-Tyranid weaponry
>Techmarine: DO NOT PURGE MAGOS.
>Magos gives them Hellfire Flamer he has lying around
>Practically a relic but made for puny humans
>Encounter a group of Inquisitorial Stormtroopers transporting huge crates
>Radioactive symbol on crates
>Techamrine: Wait, are they looting the place?
>Suddenly Trygon out of fucking nowhere!
>It has chainsaw limbs and is burrowing through the ship
>crates have holy atomics in them
>Trygon swallows some of the atomics and flees
>Chase chase chase
>Fight fight fight
>Assault Marine gets eaten
>Atomic gets activated
>Assault Marine rips out of Trygon
>Techmarine disables atomic
>butts unclench
>Finally get to Cogitator
>Captain and two others are wired into the primary cogitator
>Horrible monstrosities made from the combination of a tech priest and a tyranid warrior protect cogitator (look vaguely like a dreadknight)
>Fight fight fight
>Cogitator is shooting lightning
>Devastator says fuck it. Wastes the Cogitator and the Captain wired into it
>Whole ship is now fucked, systems going haywire
>Inquisitor Ramirez tells them that it's time to go.
>Run run run
>Oh fuck, the Magos!
>Run run run back
>Convince him to leave
>Manage to escape the ship before they're trapped
>Arrive back on strikecruiser
>Massive standoff between AdMech ships and Inquisitor
>As a member of the Ordo Mechanicum he's completely within his rights to enter a Mechanicus ship
>AdMech pissed at EVERYONE
>TechMarine: But we rescued the Magos?
>Peer: Mechanicus for everyone!

All in all turned out pretty well. Was working on the return of Inquisitor Ramirez where they actually used the nukes, but the group fell apart before that.
>>
Best of the published adventures?
>>
File: 1299025634096.jpg (100KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1299025634096.jpg
100KB, 600x450px
>>50308650
>>50308705
I think the character had 50 toughness and Resistance: Poisons. He was a bit of an overconfident idiot, and this was a fairly typical kind of scheme for him... right up until he botched the rolls and keeled over.

The other PCs, thinking he was playing dead as part of the plan, kept his slowly decaying corpse around for a few weeks.
>>
File: 1277337368790.jpg (249KB, 1900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1277337368790.jpg
249KB, 1900x1200px
>>50309013
We had a year-long game take place on Baraspine.

The PCs, and the /players/ vowed to never return to Baraspine.

Fuck that place.

They're going back next game and don't know it yet.
>>
Anyone have a good reference sheet for the various patterns of human power armor? Also, is human scale Terminator armor a thing?
>>
>>50311068
Black Crusade
>>
>>50308014
Got a question about RT
For Iron Discipline it says if the person with Iron Discipline is the leader of the group then the rest of the PCs can benefit from it as well as the minions. An equivalent bit is missing from the Into the Jaws of Hell talent. Does Into the Jaws of Hell work on other PCs as well or no? It seems a little strong to have the party essentially gain fearless at Rank 4.
>>
>>50311102
Both Iron Discipline and Into the Jaws of Hell work on PCs.

However I institute a house rule that both Talents fail to operate if the main PC has failed his Fear check.

Which given I like to use high Fear ratings, is a very real possibility.
>>
>>50311154
Okay, I was just confused since the quick description on the talent lists specifically references 'minions' and they seemed to differentiate 'minions/followers' and 'explorers' when it came to Iron Discipline.
>>
>>50311068
Deathwatch has an expansion that deals in various power armour marks but I'm not sure
>>
>>50309863
Prisoner exchange with the Tau turned into a full-contact live-fire game of capture the flag.
>>
>>50311300
Those are only for space marine armor.
>>
>>50308042
Had a character board a fleeing chaos starship right before it jumped into the warp.

Had a character heroically attempt to fist fuck a Land Raider.

Had a character fail their test to operate their grav-chute 3 times in a row and wound up pancaking in their first HALO jump. This is especially embarrassing since it was his idea in the first place.

Had a character die to a series of failed medicae tests from our doctor.

I once died to a botched reload of a customized hand flamer/plasma pistol that I had devoted quite a bit of time into building. I basically spilled fuel on myself then fired a plasma pistol, igniting the fuel and setting myself ablaze.
>>
File: squats.jpg (170KB, 900x749px) Image search: [Google]
squats.jpg
170KB, 900x749px
Friendly Reminder from your local Divisio Biologis!

There are many abhumans in the galaxy, but not all look alike. Some abhuman strains display very high degrees of sexual dimorphism. Examples of this can be seen in the Felinid, Pelager, and Squat abhuman strains.

This has been a friendly reminder from your local Divisio Biologis. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle!
>>
How was your weekend session /40krpgen/?
Today we have killed around 70 cultists and are hoping that we can survie the fight against the CSM leading them.
http://sketchtoy.com/67661605
http://sketchtoy.com/67661597
>>
>>50315335
Start a new OW game tomorrow. Going to go through regiment creation then character creation and probably the first encounter of Against the Savages.

First time running anything, wish me luck.
>>
>>50315385
I would say that the most fun you can have with OW is if you played it deathwatch style where each player designs his own regiment and you all get to play a soldier coming from that regiment.
>>
>>50315335
Ran the 5th session on Thursday. Acolytes are responding to a distress call from a research over a dead world. An Imperial Cruiser had arrived before them and was completely empty when they inspected it. Session ended after they survived an ambush by an unknown xeno force by opening the blast doors of the flight bay they were in. They're preparing to investigate the station to find the answers to this mystery.
>>
The thread pasta in the Mega folder needs to be updated with the new Armory info.

>40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
>http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z
>>
>>50315809

OP is using a beyond-ancient version of the copypasta.
>>
>>50315430
>if you played it deathwatch style where each player designs his own regiment and you all get to play a soldier coming from that regiment.
...But that defeats the entire point and purpose of Only War, you shitheel. The purpose of regiment creation is to rapidly eatablish tone and a common baseline statline and motivation for characters. A game about Krieger Siegers will play far differently than a game about space redneck guerilla snipers or one about the super elite grenadiers. It also dramatically simplifies character creation and lets players slot new characters in fairly seamlessly. Doing it the way you recommend and you might as well play an unusually military game of DH 2E.
>>
>>50315979
>Badwrongfun
>>
>>50316018
Well, yes, because you're taking the core point of the game that makes it different from other 40kRPGs and throwing it out because it doesn't appeal to you. It's like saying "The most fun you can have in Black Crusade is with characters that don't follow Chaos", or "The most fun you can have with Dark Heresy is if you ditch the whole 'Inquisition' angle". And even that last is far more defensible, because DH is as close as we've got to a generic, baseline 40kRPG. I mean, you can do whatever the fuck you want in your game, as always, but I feel that you're missing a large part of the point.
>>
File: 1316416710581.jpg (5KB, 126x126px) Image search: [Google]
1316416710581.jpg
5KB, 126x126px
>>50316123
>>
>>50315979
>But that defeats the entire point and purpose of Only War, you shitheel.

An option presented in the fucking rulebooks that is also consistent with how the IG work in fluff is defeating the entire purpose?

No, retard, the entire point and purpose of Only War is to play an IG.

>>50316123
It would be closer to "the most fun you can have in Black Crusade is not being in the Screaming Vortex."
>>
>>50309013
My DM's been using exclusively canon worlds from the Calixis sector lore. Admittedly Piety only had like three lines of text, but since that first case, we've been pretty much all over Scintilla, and he says we're headed for Dusk next.
>>
>>50308042
Never died as I've never pissed off the GM enough to have him aggressively kill my character off three sessions in a row.
>>
>>50316172
>An option presented in the fucking rulebooks that is also consistent with how the IG work in fluff is defeating the entire purpose?
An option presented in a sidebar in a non-core book basically saying "Yeah, you can do this if you want, here's how". And the IG doesn't generally draw together entire teams of people all from entirely different worlds and regiments. That's not a military, that's the A-Team.
>No, retard, the entire point and purpose of Only War is to play an IG.
And the IG has rules, structure, and a hierarchy that gets lost when you turn it into the A-team. You can play a (probably former) IG member in literally any game line besides Deathwatch, the point and purpose of Only War is to play a *soldier* acting as part of the Imperial Guard, an organization that likes its regiments hyper-specialized.
>>
>>50316297
>And the IG doesn't generally draw together entire teams of people all from entirely different worlds and regiments.

Sure it does, that's the default for the Imperial Guard codices and the vidyas.

>And the IG has rules, structure, and a hierarchy that gets lost when you turn it into the A-team.

Not at all. The IG is so nebulously defined (like other stuff such as the Imperial Creed) that the GM must come up with most of the feel of the IG himself anyway.

>the point and purpose of Only War is to play a *soldier* acting as part of the Imperial Guard

Glad we don't disagree.

>an organization that likes its regiments hyper-specialized.

Hence why people from multiple regiments often get used together.
>>
>>50316447
>>50316297
Also, even in the most vanilla-est of the vanilla mono-regiment unit, it is equally "fluffy" if not moreso for the stormtrooper, commissar, psyker, ogryn, and ratling to all have separate regiments.
>>
>>50316297
Well, there is the Tanith 1st that essentially is made up of 3 regiments.

As much as I like the concept of OW, if you don't have a single regiment every player loves the fuck out of, I think having a concept or two supported by an available regiment (here's your tech regiment, your blowing shit up regiment, and your stealth regiment, or whatever) works better.
>>
>>50316679
Yeah really. Finding a group in which everyone likes the same regiment is a challenge.
>>
For anyone playing Rogue Trader or Dark Heresy, when it comes to players buying things, I like to have a cool, well described market so the whole process is part of the roleplay and not just picking something out of a book and rolling a die, hoping you get it. What are some markets/stores/merchants you've come up with? Example-

Chantali Town

Chantali Town is a crowded, raucous market center strung out across a huge, compact collection of smaller floating islands on Footfall. Always bustling with traders and citizens from all walks of life, it has a vibrant feeling of Adventure. However, don't be fooled by all the energy and feelings of good fortune across the market; Chantali Town is a place where many deals are made, and while many fortunes were made that started with a meeting in a Chantali Town mezzanine or rathskeller, quite a few traps were laid too- it may seem safer than some of the more unsavory locales around Footfall, but make no mistake. Chantali Town is a pit of vipers that has devoured many a careless patron.

The thing about Chantali Town is that with the massive amount of independent merchants and shopkeeps, everyone has connections there; strings to pull, favors that can be called in. Picking a meeting place in Chantali Town is an intricate art. There is no such thing as neutral ground there, with how fractured yet interconnect everything is. Find yourself on the bad end of a meeting arrangement, and you could experience anything from finding the coffee house you were invited to only accepts specific forms of credit that you lack (an embarrassing situation for a wealthy Rogue Trader) to ending up in a place where every worker and patron has been bought and paid for, all organized accomplices of a plot to rob, capture or kill you.

If you're clever and watchful, great opportunities await in Chantali-Town. All but the rarest treasures and most vile contraband can be obtained there, but for those there's always someone with a connection...
>>
In your opinion, what are the more underpowred/overpowered xeno races by RAW compared to fluff?
>>
>>50309675
I once had a character die while I was taking a number two irl. Level 16 wizard in a fantasy setting. Also had my first 40k character, I took somewhat seriously, die while out from the table.
>>
>>50319570
>killing a PC while the player isn't here.
That's very bad etiquette in my book.
>>
File: ThunderhawkAction00001.jpg (97KB, 1280x540px) Image search: [Google]
ThunderhawkAction00001.jpg
97KB, 1280x540px
>>50309863
>tfw so many stories to tell don't know where to start
>>
>>50315911
Well then someone fuckin update the Pasta in the megafolder.
>>
>>50316183
And how was it on Scintilla for example? Did your GM manage to develop the planet well?
>>
Noob DH2e player here. Is it me, or is the Longlas really fucking amazing because of the Accurate quality? I also find semi and full auto bursting rather unattractive because of the more ammo wasted and less chance to hit. What's the deal?
>>
>>50320829

It's fucking amazing for Accurate which boosts hitting, and Felling which reduces unnatural toughness bonuses.
>>
>>50320829
The long-las and sniper rifle are both really good for killing single targets.

It is less attractive when you have a bunch of targets to kill.
>>
>>50320933
Would I perform better with an Autogun versus multiple targets?
>>
>>50308014

So in Black Crusade is every planet in the Eye of Terror depicted as just Tatooine or Mad Max with more craziness depending on the god worshipped?
>>
>>50320970

Some are quite civilized, while others are shitholes. For every Mad Max Tatooine, you have Magnus completely rebuilding Tizca on Sortarius.
>>
>>50321007

That's a lot more civilized than I thought lol. So it's a lot more like it was in Rogue Trader and not just crazy warped planets overrun with daemons and shit?
>>
>>50321038

Pretty much. You can find anything in the eye.
>>
>>50320952
Yes.
>>
>>50320970
One specific planet where things are 'pretty good' for the people living there is Q'Sal.
>>
>>50320952
Two words: Suppression Fire.

Four words: Multiple hits at range.
>>
>>50321152
Three words: Overwatch aye aye
>>
>>50320970
>>50321007
>>50321038
We never actually see the Eye of Terror in Black Crusade. The Screaming Vortex is the permanent warp storm where Black Crusade is set, and it's A) much smaller than the Eye and B) quite a ways to the galactic west of the Eye, right around the western border of Segmentum Obscurus.
That said, not every Chaos world is "A daemonic foot stamping on a mutant skull forever" or "Chaos warband's private shitting ground", but most are at best predictably abusive and exploitative civilizations that are nice for the elites but not for the masses (So like the Imperium but with more human sacrifice), or at worst they're nightmarish in horrifically impossible ways, like Furia, a hot, stagnant world ocean with no bottom, haunted by killer fish of every type and nigh-invulnerable leviathans that fuck the shit of anyone who gets too powerful. It's not always "Everyone's getting raped" tier bad, but Chaos worlds are at least as grimdark as Imperial ones, and often a lot worse.
>>
>>50321248
There's reasons why Chaos is part of the problem, and not the solution for all of Imperial society's woes. Daemon worlds are one of them.
>>
>>50321248
> The Screaming Vortex is the permanent warp storm where Black Crusade is set, and it's A) much smaller than the Eye and B) quite a ways to the galactic west of the Eye, right around the western border of Segmentum Obscurus.
Actually, it's to the north-west, located in between the Calixis Sector and the Koronus Expanse.
>>
>>50321554
This.

The Screaming Vortex is one of the Warp Storms bordering the Koronus Passage.

I'd love to see what's in the Void Dancer's Roil. That's the other Warp Storm, and it got no coverage whatsoever.

Has anyone tried to run a single, consistent continuity across multiple games with their own plots? Some kind of overarching metaplot specific to your own campaigns (whether it be all at once, or one after the other in sequence)?
>>
File: Red Sun Eye.png (19KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Red Sun Eye.png
19KB, 320x240px
>>50321710

>Has anyone tried to run a single, consistent continuity across multiple games with their own plots? Some kind of overarching metaplot specific to your own campaigns (whether it be all at once, or one after the other in sequence)?

Yes. It's difficult, but the payoff is so worth it. It requires very careful archiving of everything so no mistakes are made.
>>
>>50321710
Done something about it, linking it with Yu'vath, the Barathum, an Old One and a C'tan Shard fighting each other to death linked in each other deadly coils, the Seven Calyx Devils, the Harrowing, Erasmus Haarlock, Komus and the Dread pearl, the Stryxis homeworlds, the Enoulians one, as well the Slaught and Lu'nassad.
>>
File: Map6.png (687KB, 943x585px) Image search: [Google]
Map6.png
687KB, 943x585px
To anyone intending to play Only War's Eleventh Hour beginner story.

I made a map for my players, might be helpful to you guys too.
>>
>>50315430
Silly me, I just assumed this was how the game worked. Everyone in ow is from the same regiment?! WHY??? How does this not make every character purdy much exactly the same?? How does this handle me wanting to play a cadian, and my buddy wanting to play a krieger? It seems much more fun to make yer own regiment with its own personality...I mean, I see the appeal of one single regiment, but it seems terribly limiting.
>>
>>50323845
The game was intended for fast play so the whole regiment and specialty system would let you get a well equipped character ready in a matter of minutes. There is a ruleset that lets you play in mixed regiments which is what I was suggesting.
>>
>>50316889
>>
>>50323893
I think I've assumed a lot about the ow game - can one play abhumans? Ogryn heavies, ratling snipers/cooks, and beastman berserkers would be fun, if they're available. I assume psykers are an option? Dare i even ask about squats?
I just wanna be clear on what ow actually covers. And thanks!
>>
>>50324031
>Squats

No.

>Ogryns and Ratlings

Yes.

>Psykers

Yes, but they're OP as fuck.

>Beastmen

No.

Basically, if you play in an Only War game, you're part of a single cohesive unit. The regiment is your buddies, your comrades, your homies from the homeland.

And FUCK those other regiments over there, they're fucking weird, you ain't got time for that shit.

Only War is about Your Dudes. Building a regiment and coming together to make something really fucking cool is part of the appeal.
>>
>>50324031
Read the book (a dl link is literally in the OP).
But yeah, you can play as ratlings, ogryns and psykers if you had a mind to. Squats are a no go though.
>>
I have a Salamander Techmarine in a DW game we're running right now who's a lot of fun to play, but also seems to be cursed or something considering the weird things that happen him on a regular basis.

For example, it appears that attack bikes hates him as I seem to get 80+ on my driving rolls about 9 times out of ten. He runs around with a heavy bolter that only appears to have two settings; do fuck all and PURGE EVERYTHING

During our second mission, he took down a Tyranid Warrior Prime in a single turn with that thing. I think I rolled something like 4 Emperor's fury or something like that and totally pasted it
>>
>>50324252

There are rules made by one of the writers on his off time for Squats though. It's a grey area between official and not though.
>>
>>50324252
Well, it's hard to justify investing the time to read a 200+ page book if it isn't going to give my group what they want i.e. a cadian, a catachan, a krieger, a tallarn, and a mordian walk into a bar....

They won't want to play: "You're all the same!" game.
>>
>>50324031
>>50324203
>>50324252
There's rules for what were clearly intended as Squats in the The Lathes book for DH 1e; they're called Lathesmasters. I'm sure you could homebrew something for DH 2e/Only War if you really wanted to.
>>
>>50308042
We opened the hatch and were instantly mowed down by a single bolter salvo
>>
>>50325070

Sounds like you need to find better friends if they don't respect the setting. Things are hyperspecialized to avoid a new Horus Heresy. A-Teams are heresy.

>>50325080

>I'm sure you could homebrew something
Don't be part of the cancer, anon.
>>
>>50325070
>Well, it's hard to justify investing the time to read a 200+ page book if it isn't going to give my group what they want i.e. a cadian, a catachan, a krieger, a tallarn, and a mordian walk into a bar....

A lot of the game's fun lies in the fact that the PCs are all a part of a single, uniform regiment from a single world; there's a lot of character variation even within that, though; there's the Heavy Weapons Guy, the Special Weapons Guy, the Medic, the Squad Leader, and so on and so forth, and that's before you get into Specialists like Tech-Priests or Commissars.
>>
>>50325113
>Don't be part of the cancer, anon.
Homebrewing a conversion of an option from DH 1e to DH 2e/Only War is cancer, now?
>>
>>50325124
Don't encourage him.
>>
File: 1248177974788.jpg (138KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
1248177974788.jpg
138KB, 604x453px
>>50309863
https://warosu.org/tg/thread/44414737

here are a few stories of my current campaign. we've got some more stuff since then if you're interested
>>
>>50325113
so salty! 40k is a sandbox, not a straightjacket, anon. There are not two regiments with standard anything except uplifting primers. One regiment has lasrifles, the next has lances, and when the two get wiped out they amalgamate the survivors. rinse and repeat.
>>
>>50325115
Thanks for the input, kindanon! You are helping, that is good info.
>>
File: African Battlewagon Animated.gif (2MB, 1030x740px) Image search: [Google]
African Battlewagon Animated.gif
2MB, 1030x740px
>>50315335
>How was your weekend session /40krpgen/?

Not exactly the weekend, but short version is one of the missions my Deathwatch players could take was to recover some STC fragments by the Ordo Chronos. They picked his mission first so he would go away faster. They travel 10,000 years back, to the end of the Horus Heresy, and pull off a heist in a fringe Data Hive between White Scars / Word Bearers and unidentified Blackshields that were half Ultras / half World Eaters. They ended up recovering the STC fragments and then some, and got them to the Inquisitor who promptly fucked off with them to who knows where.

The best part was they were told to recover a white burnished arms locker, and they could keep whatever was inside as a reward. At the end of the mission, they gave up the box to the inquisitor, because they forgot they could keep it for themselves.

Can't win'em all, I guess.
>>
>>50320718
Well, we got to engage in politicking with noble houses, murder a minor Krin scion, engaged in a series of sidequests desperately trying to develop artificer class weaponry we could gift the Krin House to apologize for killing that scion, met (and murdered) a rogue Metallican Magos with plasma pistols who used Gun Kata on us, got caught in a massive gang war and ran away from a stolen Bane Wolf tank in the Coscarla district on our day off, watched a Sands of Blood tournament from our noble patron's forcefield-warded box seats, and our psyker caused roughly several hundred people to get arrested and sent to the penal legions for using her powers in a public marketplace.

He also really emphasized the architectural differences between Metallica and Sibellus. One was clearly built around a volcano, because Metallicans are fucking nuts, and Sibellus seems to have been carved out of a single piece of stone or someshit, because there was granite everywhere. Regulators were mentioned often, since that was our cover identity half the time, and the other half of the time it was probably because the DM had a big mercenary fetish. My feudal world knight always got funny looks from Metallicans for not using a gun, and the Sibellans had stuffed relatives used as coat racks. So yeah, I guess he did alright.
>>
>>50321710
>Has anyone tried to run a single, consistent continuity across multiple games with their own plots? Some kind of overarching metaplot specific to your own campaigns (whether it be all at once, or one after the other in sequence)?

This just feels wrong. It reduces player agency by making everything based on the actions of others.
>>
>>50326097
Shas'o, give us more links to the Republican Commandos!
>>
File: Deadly Dandy.jpg (416KB, 785x1265px) Image search: [Google]
Deadly Dandy.jpg
416KB, 785x1265px
>>50315385
So it took my players FOREVER to build their regiment eventually they settled on a Nobleborn, Sanguine Commander, Close Assault (with Chimera), they are Die Hard, and Well Provisioned. Unfortunately they are honourbound duel hungry assholes. Their additional kit consists of Combat Shotgun, with 6 reloads, a best suit of Imperial Guard Flak, 4 frag, 3 krak grenades, they traded their 4 weeks of rations for 2 weeks of good quality rations, a chrono (pocketwatch), a dress uniform, a spare uniform, and a chainsword.

They are the 131st Vestan Armoured Assault Troops "The Deadly Dandies"

So this is going to be real interesting.
>>
>>50326097

>STC's just laying around

So what we're they? What revolutionary treasures of the past were recovered?
>>
>>50327439
Who polishes it enough to have a light reflection right there?
>>
>>50309863
We once Purged an entire hive city of Genestealers in 72 hours.
>>
>>50327766
how?
>>
File: Space Fleet 40k.jpg (53KB, 700x386px) Image search: [Google]
Space Fleet 40k.jpg
53KB, 700x386px
>>50327436

Regrettably, with my work schedule and constantly being on-call, it's hard for me to post regular archival episodes. I actually think somebody's been putting up the three Collected Visions so far on 1d4chan. But don't worry - I only have about five episodes of material left, then the game is complete and I release the final archive. Based on everyone's schedules so far and how long an episode usually takes, I expect to be done sometime in January.

Then I start recruiting for Solaris: Binary Soul in Only War.

>>50327485

They were fragments, so incomplete, but they were of voidships long thought lost. They handed the three files to the Ordo Chronos and went on their merry way.

The first STC fragment was lacking an external hull plan and weapon designations, but had the internal systems in perfect detail - Gloriana.

The second STC fragment had a perfect hull plan, albeit a rather bizarre dagger-shape instead of the typical Imperial box, but no internal systems or weapon designations - Ironclad.

The last wasn't an STC fragment per-se, but it was combat data for a third ship, complete with weapon loadouts, power requirements, positioning and arrangements, and necessary systems needed to handle said weapons - Abyss. This WAS a Word Bearers outpost, after all.

Three data compilations. Why, putting the pieces together you can almost build a complete ship out of that...
>>
>>50327658
People who are better than you.
>>
>>50327793
hey, Shas'o

I know you hate Craftworlders, but would there ever be a time where they're portrayed in a sympathetic light or, you know, not be complete asshats?
>>
>>50308042
Used as a club by an ork nob.
>>
File: Eldar Dying.png (174KB, 222x317px) Image search: [Google]
Eldar Dying.png
174KB, 222x317px
>>50327821

If you have something they want, and have the upper hand in terms of positioning and strength to negotiate on a superior footing, they can be somewhat amiable.

Alternatively, maybe there's some threat to both you and them, and all you need is one calm nigga to negotiate a temporary ceasefire, like what happened in Battlefleet Gothic, or the warpgate on Tallarn. The problem, of course, is calm niggas are a rare commodity in 40k, and you're more than likely to shoot first, and with good reason. Rare is the Eldar agreement that actually benefits both parties, and people shoot first for good measure.
>>
>>50327874
What I meant was, in your campaigns, would there ever be instances where Eldar aren't assholes, and players could interact with them in a sympathetic light?
>>
File: Tyrone laughing for 20 Aeons.jpg (93KB, 620x670px) Image search: [Google]
Tyrone laughing for 20 Aeons.jpg
93KB, 620x670px
>>50327895

Oh good god no. At least, not in the Tiji sector.

Eldar-Everybody relations there have been decimated so hard due to seven different groups of players all punking them out that there are barely even any left, the remaining few taken up the life of the corsair out of survival necessity. They bear an unquenchable hatred against everyone, even though they lack the power to strike back properly, and at this point can be downgraded to "mild annoyance." I mean, it may be different in other sectors, but for now, things are more or less irreparable.

Besides, I'm not about to give up my whipping bitch enemies so soon. Fuck Eldar.
>>
>>50327977
couldn't dark eldar suffice for such a purpose?
>>
>>50327977
This is annoying me enough that I want to start my own game where Eldar are better off. I don't even necessarily like the Eldar that much, but hating them more than the Imperium is a sign of either intellectual dishonesty or something more troubling.
>>
>>50328103
I mostly feel bad for them because of the whole 'dying race' and 'Death Masque' incident.

And they're always shat on by GW anyway. They almost feel like underdogs now, kind of like how SoB are constantly getting mulched, or how IG are usually the ones who get roflstomped.
>>
File: Eldar 200% Sad.jpg (155KB, 758x1037px) Image search: [Google]
Eldar 200% Sad.jpg
155KB, 758x1037px
>>50328103

Calm down, senpai, it's just a game. There's no conspiracies or nothing. Truth be told, I used to get my ass beat by Eldar when I was learning to play 40k so I guess it just passive-agressively rubbed off. By the time I noticed things reached a threshold, it was too late. Strangely enough, the only guy who would ally with my Tau was the university's Dark Eldar player.

Besides, what I do is my own thing. I keep my shit in the containment sector where it belongs. I'm not about to force my hot opinions on others. In most of the galaxy, the Eldar are capable of making agreements and working with others, even if only temporarily. It's a known facet of the setting, and completely possible, so don't worry about it if it happens.
>>
>>50327793

What the fuck ARE those
>>
>>50328177
b-but what if I want to play a dickass eldar who hates everyone and fucks everyone over
>>
File: Dark Eldar Archon 2.jpg (1MB, 1200x1961px) Image search: [Google]
Dark Eldar Archon 2.jpg
1MB, 1200x1961px
>>50328285

Well, there's always Kabalites and Wyches (where it is an objectively incorrect choice to NOT take trueborn if possible), Corsairs, or Harlequins. Ask your GM about you can incorporate an eldar into their game, and just try not to dick over your teammates TOO hard.
>>
What is the fastest possible character I can make in Only War?
>>
File: 1456424923001.png (151KB, 897x576px) Image search: [Google]
1456424923001.png
151KB, 897x576px
>>50328395
>Dark Eldar
>just try not to dick over your teammates TOO hard.
>>
File: Dark Eldar Kabalite.jpg (281KB, 737x1038px) Image search: [Google]
Dark Eldar Kabalite.jpg
281KB, 737x1038px
>>50328459

The one time I saw a Kabalite Trueborn played, it was done so flawlessly that it just clicked in my head as the way things were supposed to be.

He looked at the bigger picture, and prioritized emotional and mental damage over mere physical attacks. He KNEW he was better than everyone else, in true Trueborn fashion, and he was merely waiting for them to realize it. He approached combat like an ascetic, as a way to improve himself further AND leave his competitors in the dust. He would put himself in the center of combat, be it the biggest dudes he could find, or a horde of enemies, JUST so he could show off his superiority and watch their pitiful attempts at combat fail hilariously. He turned fights into an art form, and created numerous techniques that are still spoken of and studied, all the while never revealing his face from beneath the perfectly reflective helmet he always wore. Everyone else in the detachment found him amusing, but damn lethal if he put his mind to something.

You were a cool dude, Zaill Kralic. Keep being cool wherever you are.

If you are even half as good as he was, then you got nothing to worry about.
>>
question: can you upgrade a primitive sword to have a powerfield?
>>
>>50328489
That actually sounds really fantastic, now I really want to play an Eldar
Too bad I can't get into any 40k games
>>
>>50328457
Operator Class with a fast vehicle.

>>50328497
If it was best quality you might be able to convince a magos to upgrade it. But likely you're better off just getting a new sword made.
>>
>>50328540
>If it was best quality you might be able to convince a magos to upgrade it. But likely you're better off just getting a new sword made.
well, I was thinking of upgrading a White Scar's Duelling Tulwar
>>
>>50328540
Nah mate, I mean fastest outside of a vehicle.
>>
>>50328577
at running and stuff?
>>
>>50328577
Orbital Insertion Drop Troop.
>>
>>50328489
I played with a guy like that but on crack. See, the player is a sociopath and played a dark eldar like so. He played a Kabalite that was training to be an incubi.

In the first session he killed 3 howling banshees solo. Had ghost plate armor with the left ear of every enemy he slayed. He was so skilled at torture that the GM said he counted as a torturer's kit, which he described in insane levels of detail when he did it. Every move he made was to inflict maximum pain token gain while getting maximum glory. He fought a 30ft giant sea snake and killed it by running up its spine and cutting off its head. Then he skinned it and made it into a cape, and then used said cap to intimidate the guy that released it into giving him the information the RT wanted.

Hell, the ship had internal turrets that were required to point inwards towards his section of the ship, where there was no lights on and the Rogue Trader had to send suicide messengers in to give orders. Not only that, but he would also hunt down and kill everything in the lower decks. He also was so fucking terrifying that the Ork and his gang considered him a warboss cause of all the spikes he had on his armor.

The man was a literal force of terror incarnate. He fucking soloed 10 Wyches at once and won. He also managed to defeat a Cronos Pain Engine and 20 Kabalite warriors by himself before taking the Soul Reaver as his command ship. He then tricked an Archon on board, killed her, and stole her fucking powerful artifacts. He kept her soul so he could torture her between sword blow attempts at him.

Never seen anyone play a Dark Elder like him. Shame the rules for them suck so much that they're inferior to humans.
>>
>>50328593
Yes.
>>
>>50328695
Do you consider psykers to be human?
>>
>>50327439
Can you take something like a chainsword in your starting kit?
>>
When making an OW regiment do you just get 1 thing from each category or can you take multiple training/equipment doctrines?
>>
>>50308014
Anyone have any stupidly ridiculous games with very liberal application of the fluff and a borderline lapse into mary sue territory?

Like the party just kicked so much ass that they eventually managed to find the magical STC artifact that revived the Emperor or his long lost Dad or something insane like that.

Also has anyone else has worked on making future fans expansions like what /tg/ is doing with the OP's link and the Tiji Sector now that FFG is dropping the 40k RPG support?
>>
>>50328695
>>50328970
Assuming yes:

>Any homeworld that gives +3 Agility
>Commanding officer doesn't matter
>Heavy Recon regiment for +6 Agility
>There are no training or doctrines that directly give Agility so that doesn't matter either.

Max starting roll for Agility gives 49 Agility pumped up to 69 Agility with exp.
Acquire the Sprint talent. Preternatural Speed for shits and giggles.
Base psy rating of 10 with an additional +3 from Push and +1 from Spook all focused on Warp Speed for Unnatural Agility 14
Get power armor for Size (5)

This gives a total Agility bonus of 20+1 making the movement rate for Psyker McGofast is 21/42/63/126 or 21/63/63/252 on a Sprint round.

>>50329056
If you have the points for it in your kit, yes.

>>50329068
You get your base regiment and then any 2 doctrines from any category.
>>
>>50329106
Ran a game with a gang of basically four omega- blanks for the fun of it, they successfully boarded a Craftworld alone and commandeered it in a Rogue Trader esque fashion.
>>
What the hell are the Aerial Pinions in IH? How the fuck do they work? I read the item description, but I still don't get it.
>>
>>50329106
My high level RT campaign about to end is going with RT team about to launch the crusade to make the Koronus Sector,
their battlecruiser is so laden of archeotech he (yes, HE!) can gro through a star and survive,
the RT is an augmenticist pocket dreadnought in fancy unfirom that can use tanks as improvised CC weapons and is a Living Saint,
the Navigator became a Astronomican beacon mini-star when she died,
they met the BigE in 30K thanks to a vortex grenade incident,
the Vostroyan Master of Ordinance is Exterminatus on foot,
the Master at arms name is becoming the slang terme for Reliable,
the cleaned off the Nexus and towed it to their main colony for restauration,
they destroyed Iniquity by blowing up the inner system black hole, creating the largest man made explosion of the Obscurus Segmentum.

They conquered Footfall, and are known for the Two Fooftall Defenestrations. The second is due to them following a rumor about an archeotech warshiop, and then discovering said rumors were about their own....
And you never talk about the first.

the campaign includes power and chain bagpipes, sniping flamers, and a cameo from Hercules Lucullus Skywalker Master-commander Poirot. and the Doctor in his TARDIS as an Ordo Chronos Inquisitor.
>>
Going for a BC game of conquest and have been playing with the idea of dreadnoughts. Either they will face them, Become them as punishment or meet them as NPC.

I was wondering, Are there rules for dreadnoughts in one of the BC-books? I know there are rules for playing one in one of the Deathwatch books but I would prefer if the rules already exists with BC-rules.
>>
>>50330683
There are hellbrutes statted in one of the books.
>>
>>50330683
Dreadnoughts and Chaos Dreadnoughts are in Deathwatch book Rites of Battle. Those probably need some converting.

Hellbrutes are in Black Crusade's Tome of Excess and Only War's Enemies of the Imperium. Those probably work just fine as is.
>>
>>50330318
Obiwan Sherlock Clousseau?
>>
>>50331384

There is old old fluff where an inquisitor named Obi-wan and several other names are mentioned. I believe that this was anon's way of honouring GW:s inconsistent fluff.
>>
Do you use demiurgs in your games, anons?
What are your demiurgs like?
>>
Why does autogun special ammo cost so much in Deathwatch ? It's for autoguns !
>>
>>50331538
I haven't, but reading through the Tau Character Guide, I noticed something wrong with the timeline: the book's got rules for units that shouldn't have been invented yet.

According to Epoch Koronus (the Rogue Trader timeline supplement), the current date of the setting is 816.M41.

According to the Tau Character Guide, the Riptide debuted during the Third Sphere Expansion, which according to Lexicanum, began in 997.M41 - nearly two centuries into the future of the setting.
>>
>>50325070
>They won't want to play: "You're all the same!" game

I have literally not played a single mixed-regiment game of Only War yet. Don't assume that everyone is a spaz who can't stand the thought of a unified party.
>>
Creating a Fear and Loathing Cryptek.

When I select my Harbinger stuff, do I automatically get all the gear that comes with the choice (Harp of dissonance etc). Or do I have to procure it manually?
>>
>>50331384
not yet, but he might appears one day somehow. perhaps as the Inquisition representative when they will come on Terra to plea for the Koronus Crusade.
>>
Is there are random Character generator for rogue trader?
I've seen th DH1 on suptg
>>
Thinking about working a heist and or high adventure plot into a high level all inquisitors DH2E game.

Takes place on a synthetically populated and stimulated fuedal death world, transitioning into a daemon world with no intervention that is also the recruiting planet of a SM chapter that is pissed their planet is getting quarantined. They're very heretical and no doubt will be put down by the party, but not without the resistance that comes from a SM subchapter.

Looking for plot hook seeds or directions I can take this. The campaign is gonna start off full retard in order to keep my player's so there aren't any bad ideas.
>>
>>50332432
As in, what is causing the corruption of the world, or how the players could learn about the ongoing shenanigans?
>>
>>50332688
A little of both. I was thinking of a changing planet filled with corruptive alien tech caches from a psychicly and technologically advanced race recently being opened ala borderlands, but idk. Not sure if too stupid, not stupid enough or irrelevant, senpai.
>>
>>50332737
Sounds just stupid enough. Who opened it? Was it the SM chapter? Was it a random Rogue Trader looking to make big time bux? A random peasant who's now empowered by voices whispering in his ear to complete the planet's transformation?
>>
>>50332783
Vietnam inspired Reggie that was backing up a magos that was inspecting auspex anamolies. Everyone planetside is interested in further research, between the Chapter Master, the church, the Oligarchy and shitfarmers.
>>
>>50332189

You get one piece of gear every time you buy the Conclave Wargear talent. It's like the Signature Wargear talent from Deathwatch. If I recall correctly, each Harbinger type has 3 pieces of gear, and you can eventually get them all as you rank up, as well as one or two from a second discipline. Don't you start with a staff of light at least?
>>
>>50332870
Ah, so everyone on the planet wants to exploit the treasure while paying no heed to the alarming transormations its unearthing have set in motion?

Perhaps then the plothook could be a murdered Chartist Captain who wanted to blow the whistle on the whole thing after seeing suspicious things upon visiting the planet for trade, but was instead sneakily disposed of some time after he has departed form the world, as killing him right then and there would have drawn undue attention to the planet.
>>
>>50332990
I see, thanks. These pdfs don't really make everything clear. It's actually a certification talent each rank, which according to The Fringe is Yours just improves the availability, not actually giving to you.

>Don't you start with a staff of light at least?
Yep
>>
>>50333025

The Fringe is Yours addendum was an optional change after people complained about getting gear with XP, and bringing Deathwatch style conventions into Rogue Trader. If you're just using the base career, you receive the gear as normal. If your GM is enforcing the optional rules change, then you have to acquire your gear manually. The talent just gives a bonus to getting them. The cryptek really is hard hit if you use the optional change.
>>
>>50333086
Cheers, It's a GMPC situation, so I think I'll try and keep things ungimped.

Another quick question if you don't mind.

I've created the Cryptek, and another player has made a Harlequin. If the third player makes a Tau Fire Warrior (From the Tau character guide) will he be massively underbalanced? Would it be worth getting him to be a Cadre Fireblade instead?
>>
>>50333127

The Fire Warrior has a LOT more capability and customization than the Cadre Fireblade, but all their talents require fate points, and Tau only get one. A fire warrior is a hybrid arch militant, rogue trader, and techpriest all in one, and can branch out into although ranks what F+L makes their own careers.

The Fireblade is a reshuffled arch militant with command, and while the Fireblade is more focused, his orders are more helpful in combat situations and don't need Fate, just command.

Want versatility and alternate rank options? Fire warrior. Want someone to be mainly useful in just combat and commanding? Fireblade. Just be aware the Tau Character Guide battleships are wimpy. They function as power armor.

It's a running suspicion after all that FFG copied Fear and Loathing for its own Tau Character guide, after all.
>>
>>50333207
If so, at least they didn't copy the utterly shitty parts.
>>
>>50326397
Sounds awesome to me, kudos to your GM!
>>
>>50333226

heh, yeah the book needs a GM to remove some of the Shas-isms first before normal use, but those are art least blindingly obvious to pick out.
>>
>>50333282
Also, remove that "mercenary Tau family" concept; that's utterly wrong in multiple ways. Delete the entire Eldar section, have it be written by someone who doesn't despise them. Either remove or fiddle with Necrons by rather a lot.
I'd also make changes to the insanity/corruption thing. Tau are covered by the character guide already. Eldar are immune to corruption points as long as they have a soulstone; without it, they gain corruption with the same effects as Dark Eldar. They do gain insanity points, but can more easily remove them (and possibly might become immune to insanity altogether by becoming lost on a Path). As for Necrons... I'd have them be immune to both (corruption because Necron bodies are antithetical to the Warp, insanity because nothing the 41st millennium has to offer will outmatch the War in Heaven).
>>
>>50333320
>mercenary Tau family

That's the main thing I first remove, yeah. I think it even says somewhere in the book you should do this anyway.

But what was wrong with the corsair? I know shas hated eldar but I didn't see any rage rules or grudges against them. I honestly think they're the best career in the books.
>>
>>50333011
I like it, but I'll probably make it a greater display of stupid incompetence by having the cartographer "death touched" and dying a decade after his intended whistle blowing due to fear for his soul and the actual complaint be a part of his will or something.
>>
Is giving each player a ship each viable in Rogue Trader?
>>
>>50334934
It's kind of insane from a non-space-combat mechanics POV.

It's also kind of insane from a space combat mechanics POV.
>>
>>50334934
A ship with all the PCs on it would likely be significantly more effective than a bunch of ships each with one of the PCs on them.
>>
>>50335008
>>50335077
Thanks, all four of the players are different nonhuman races, and im trying to make this shit work
>>
some friends and I are looking to start RT, what are you guys thought on chargen roll vs allocate, and if roll, do you run through them in order, use a pool, something else? I'm probably just going to run the adventure at the tail end of the crb if that makes any bit of difference at all, dont want to get too far into sandbox prep for a game/system tryout. How long should I realistically expect rolling a char to take? Full session? Should I have them do it on their own time and just use session 0 for introductions among each other and to the setting? Is there anything flat out broken and need banning if i stay within the system books?
>>
>>50335552
Which ones?
>>
>>50336290
Dark Eldar, one Tau hating Kroot, one Tau, and an Ork.

It sounds fun has fuck having a party like that, but they're having trouble decided who should be the captain and what race the ship will be for.

I've got fan rules plus stuff from friends of mine to make these all viable, but still it's a hard decision to make.
>>
I need a nefarious threat or conspiracy for Dark Heresy that isn't "dudes were secretly Chaos" or "dudes were secretly genestealer cult."
>>
>>50336427
i hate your players
>>
>>50336530
I both hate and love them.
>>
>>50336427
So, what exactly are they doing? What's the campaign about?

Also, I don't think you need fan rules for any of them; they all have supplements.

>>50336506
Hereteks.
Ecclesiarchy's plotting genocide for who knows what reason.
Inquisition infighting.
Slaugth.
Enslavers.
>>
>>50336174
Point allocate is best for RT, in my opinion. The PCs are usually larger-than-life badasses in their particular roles.

I suggest bringing in combat rules from Black Crusade and Only War. Like the full/semi auto fire rules, that kind of thing. Be willing to allow "elite advances" outside the RT class progression tables. Else you get annoying shit like the Arch Militant being unable to command troops.
>>
I want Faith Powers damn it!
>>
>>50336543

They're fucking faggots who want to sit around and joke around with memes. Lill them and find proper players.
>>
>>50336647

"Why do the reinforcement SoB get faith talents but not PC SoB?"

Was meant to be attached to that post. Dunno what happened.

Also old thread:

>>50296643
>>
>>50336554
Adventures in the disputed reaches of space.

I think the narrative they're leaning on is that they're on a journey to collect artifacts and enough riches to 1. Become an Archon of Commorragh (DE) 2. Free the Kroot from the Greater Good (Kroot) 3. Kill the Ethereals (Tau) 4. Get Dakka (Ork).

I honestly don't mind that kind of party since it sounds fun in a silly way.

>>50336679
No memes here, all fun and games. Not everything has to be about humans I guess.
>>
>>50336603
Thank you
>>
>>50336427
You could also make an NPC captain and dictate the road of the adventure

Or make it in a way where the aliens have to fool the Imperium of serving a Rogue Trader, and they have to cooperate and serve a puppet Trader
>>
>>50336765
Well that came out weird.

I mean they have to keep up the farce of serving a Rogue Trader who is either a simple guy intimidated into the role, a servitor, or just a statue no one is allowed to see.
>>
>>50336765
>>50336790
Thanks! I'm not sure if limiting them in that kind of way would be healthy, but I'll see how things go with the discussions, and if worst comes to worst it'll be an NPC Rogue Trader they can usurp or I'll force one to be a leader.
>>
Question about Comrades in Only War: What happens if my Comrade is armed with an AoE weapon like a grenade launcher or a flamer (perhaps because the squad's gotten their hands on more special weapons than the PCs are capable of using)? As far as I can tell, aside from some of the Servitors, Comrades never actually make attack rolls, they just give the PCs bonuses to theirs, but presumably the grenades they shoot won't just disappear, and flamers don't roll to hit to begin with. Do you just roll to scatter and call it "good enough"?
>>
File: Daemonhost.jpg (68KB, 727x1210px) Image search: [Google]
Daemonhost.jpg
68KB, 727x1210px
>>50315335
I'm new to Dark Heresy (2nd Edition) but my last session was brilliant so it might be worth telling.

>In the previous session, we had found out that this heretical cult selling Spook was based in a shanty town outside the main Hive. Rather than tackle it straight away, we'd buttered up the Arbiters and PDF to get their support for an offensive. The latter group even gave us a Leman Russ (that would later be MVP, but I'm getting ahead of myself). We sent two of our group to scout the town out before our main force arrived. That last session ended just as the leader of the cult burst out of the "church", surrounded by mutants, as a daemonhost.

>THIS session, the Russ kicked things off by opening fire on the daemonhost. Great rolls, but a warp shield negated the blows completely. At this point, dozens of mutants poured out of the main building and charged at the approaching army. The two that had gone ahead (we'll call them A and B. C and D were riding in the tank) decided to stay hidden.

>Not that they had too much choice though. The daemonhost scared the shit out of them so they couldn't go near it, and B was stunned in fear. After being shot, the daemonhost began some sort of ritual to fashion armour out of the flesh of the dead from a nearby graveyard.

>The tank kept firing at the 'host, but to no avail. After several rounds of this, the mutants finally fell on the PDF and Arbiters and started butchering them. Whilst C guided the tank and analysed what the fuck was going on, D spammed inspire and killed anything that got in the Russ.

>Eventually, the daemonhost left the church with a new body of flesh, wings and a bonesowrd, and made a beeline for the tank. There was a strange, ethereal tendril connecting it to the church though. With it finally gone, A and B were able to check it out. As luck would have it, the church was still guarded by mutants.

Cont.
>>
>>50336706

Memes. Humans are the focus of the setting, not retarded ayylmaos that detract from the human drama.

Fuck your players, fuck your """""game""""" and fuck you.
>>
File: Mutant.jpg (162KB, 844x966px) Image search: [Google]
Mutant.jpg
162KB, 844x966px
>>50337471
>Back at the battlefield, the Arbiters and PDF had all but evaporated and it was just the Russ trying desperately to survive. Most of the mutants couldn’t catch up but the daemonhost kept doing hit-and-runs. A few of the swoops would cripple the tank somehow and C and D were throwing fate points around trying to keep the Russ repaired and running away (towards the church).

>A and B had some trouble with the mutants (A nearly died with some poor rolls) but eventually they were victorious and they went to check out where the tendril of power was going to. In the basement, they found a ritual altar with a corpse. As both were the shooty type, they decided to blow it up. The corpse disintegrated, but the alter survived with a strange knife stuck in it.

>D was getting pissed off that they weren’t kicking the daemonhost’s arse enough, to took control of the tank from C, swung it around and unloaded everything into it whilst reversing. The rest of the mutants became slurry but the daemonhost survived. After a couple of rounds of this the tank backed up onto the church.

>As the brainy sort, C decided to hop out and check out what was going on with the altar. He got out, took one look at the daemonhost and promptly fell down the side of the tank unconscious. Meanwhile, A and B continued to try every trick in the book to destroy the altar and knife. Guns, chainsword, another knife, etc. Eventually they gave up and went to loot the place.
>>
>>50337463
Comrades don't make attacks of their own unless otherwise specified (like the servitors that you mentioned, or with some special orders). Narratively you want to think of them as the extras in an action movie that fire wildly and exist to make the hero look better. Mechanically, they are squishy buff givers that you try your best to put out of grenade and flamer range while still maintaining cohesion.

tl;dr, they cant attack and deal damage unless certain options explicitly state that they can.
>>
File: Leman Russ Tank.jpg (76KB, 800x553px) Image search: [Google]
Leman Russ Tank.jpg
76KB, 800x553px
>>50337509
>The tank was on its last legs. D had called for reinforcements (and took a subtlety hit) but it was looking bleak. Each round the daemonhost would chop off a bit more of the tank’s health. Even when the daemon’s flesh armour would be destroyed, it simply reformed it in a few turns, even stronger. But, the tank had to stand firm. It was all that stood between the daemonhost and the ritual chamber.

>When C finally awoke, he rallied A and B. They eventually decided to take the most unobvious course of action, and just pick the knife up. B picked up the knife and the object released some spikes, attaching itself to his arm and siphoning blood. He would have been in trouble, if his hand hadn’t been swiftly chopped off by A’s chainsword.

>But, it worked. The ethereal tendril disappeared. Before the daemonhost could perform one final hit and finish the tank off (it was down to its last few wounds), it disintegrated completely, leaving behind only a small stone heart. Just at that moment, reinforcements arrived in the form of air support. Victorious, D hopped out of the tank and announced their success.

And that's basically it. Apparently next session will mainly be the epilogue to this epic battle. Hopefully that stone heart won't give us any future trouble.
>>
File: 9048239472.png (281KB, 500x671px) Image search: [Google]
9048239472.png
281KB, 500x671px
>>50337506
>>
>>50337522
>Comrades don't make attacks of their own unless otherwise specified (like the servitors that you mentioned, or with some special orders).
What special orders are these? I can't seem to find any.

Besides, I'm talking about weapons that either don't require attack rolls, or are capable of hurting enemies even if you miss.
>>
>>50337506
>Humans are the focus of the setting
They're *a* focus of the setting, which also focuses on the respective dramas of the Eldar, Tau, and Necrons, the threat of the Orks and the Tyranids, and the looming threat of Chaos and the unknown horrors in the shadows. Human-on-human drama is certainly a valid theme, but it's hardly a meme that aliens and nonhuman things are a massive part of 40k with their own focuses. So really, you could not be more wrong if you tried. Chill the fuck out and go fuck yourself.
>>
>>50337982
>>50337506
Not to mention Rogue Trader is the least dramatic out of all the lines.
>>
>>50338096
>grimdark Star Trek power fantasy: the RPG
>least dramatic
LOLwut
>>
>>50337849
Dude, I'm not going to spoonfeed you everything so you'll have to look it up. But generally comrade's dont have the luxury of being relevant enough to actually wield any weapon that actually does damage unless YOU the PC has a special ability that specifically states that they can do so. You hand your dude a hand flamer but he won't be able to shoot with it. Why? Balance purposes mainly, otherwise characters with one million comrades like the sergeant and later the commander could arm all his redshirts with grenades and tell them to start chucking. Another reason why this isn't viable even if the gm let you get away with it?
Attack orders still have the attack subtype and you are only allowed to perform one action with an attack subtype even if issuing the order itself only requires a free action.

Examples of orders that let them attack:
Praecentor of penance: Annihilate them (uses melee weapons, likely your regimental standard melee weapon, or servo fists if you took servitor accompaniment/unusual companion)
Ministorum priest: Cleanse with fire (explicitly states that taking this talent gives your comrade a weapon)
Servitor comrade: Attack pattern gladius ultra (specific servitor type with a built in weapon as a pre-req)

But if you're pigheaded and your GM is a cuck then maybe you can insist that you get it your way.
>>
>>50337506
Holy shit, what the fuck happened to you to make you this unbearable faggot we see before us?
>>
>>50338125
>Grimdark hobos vs Horrors What Gnaw upon Civilization from the inside
>Grimdark army vs the Assailants of Humankind
>Grimdark supersoldiers vs the Horrors too Terrible for other special Corps to handle
vs
>Privateers in a grimdark setting getting fame and fortune any way possible.

Yes, I repeat the L-E-A-S-T grimdark.
>>
>>50338159
>Ministorum priest: Cleanse with fire (explicitly states that taking this talent gives your comrade a weapon)
That doesn't actually let them attack, it just gives enemies a penalty to their tests to extinguish themselves once they catch on fire.

>>50338268
Least grimdark, sure, but definitely not the least dramatic.
>>
>>50338398
That's true. But I still feel like the struggles in RT are either less gritty, or have lower stakes from the Imperium's point of view.
>>
>>50337588
B better get a bitching bionic hand for his service there.
>>
>>50337982

It's just tabletoppers leaking over. Games Workshop has flat out stated that the Imperium are the protagonists and the good guys of the setting, so all the nuance has been destroyed to sell KEWL NEW TOYS to little timmy.
>>
>>50338944
> Games Workshop has flat out stated that the Imperium are the protagonists and the good guys of the setting
Yeah, this. The Xenos are really only there to act as a justification for the Imperium's excesses and, to a lesser extent, to act as foils for certain aspects of them (e.g. the Tau's cosmopolitan, shiny new empire vs the Imperium's monolithic crumbling gothic empire, or the Orks as a reflection of the Imperium's violence).

>>50338688
Depends on what the Rogue Traders' goals are. If they're going out with the intention of turning the Koronus Expanse into the Koronus Sector, then their adventures would certainly be just as important in the Imperium's view as the Imperial Guard taking back a secessionist subsector, or the Space Marines taking back a fallen sector from Chaos while beating back two different Xenos invasions simultaneously.
>>
>>50338742
Well he apparently likes the idea of becoming Big Boss so fingers crossed for him.
>>
>>50339127
GW is really so blatantly nofunallowed? Pity. Well, it's not like they can dictate our own views/interpretations of the setting.
>>
>>50339672
BUY SPACE MARINES. THEY'RE THE HEROES.
>>
>>50339672
>Well, it's not like they can dictate our own views/interpretations of the setting.

The Lawyer Corps are already on their way.
>>
>>50340034

ooh that could be neat. Who would make the best lawyer? Arbitrator maybe?
>>
>>50339672
>Well, it's not like they can dictate our own views/interpretations of the setting.
Filename related
>>
>>50325185

Holy shit these are hilarious (assuming you're DW guy).

Is there more?
>>
>>50340907
Carnac is a screeching autist who thinks anyone who disagrees with him is wrong and will just make shit up to strawman his opponents with, is eternally triggered by literally everything, and should be either banned or shot. Or first one, then the other. He singlehandedly makes 40k discussion on this cesspool about 40% more shitty.
>>
I added bookmarks to the repo's scan copy of RT- Faith and Coin since it was irritating me. They basically just follow the Table of Contents, but I added a few extra into the gear pages. Don't know if anyone here has access to the repo to throw it up, but take it, leave it, whatever.

https://mega.nz/#!jV8UhSDD!mE4vAkXQg-vmy9bJzCEcB7u1kd5SK3XkuTCETKSdK_4
>>
Do the 40k rpgs have an encounter generator tool?
I'm an old player/new GM and looking for some tools to help with the creative process?

Also, any tips on getting my players a little more excited for the game?
>>
>>50342478
>Do the 40k rpgs have an encounter generator tool?
Not really, no, they're not really geared for that.
>>
File: tau and why they suck now.png (29KB, 1227x251px) Image search: [Google]
tau and why they suck now.png
29KB, 1227x251px
>>50325070
>they won't want to play: "you're all the same!" game
Ignoring the potential for Regimental culture and the potential for shenanigans and worldbuilding it entails is missing out on half the game. Believe it or not, not all players are D&D-tier fags that need to be SUPER-unique in order to feel engaged in the game or the setting. The person's actual character and personality are often enough. But if you are so desperate to play Rainbow Six: Imperial Guard, why not just use the actual mixed-regiment rules in the game?

>>50331538
They're basically just squats. Really corporate-culture squats who use the craziness of the battlefield to really cut loose. Not that the party would know that; they haven't run into them yet.

>>50331796
>the riptide debutes two centuries into the future
Thank Christ. See pic related.
>>
>>50316679
>Well, there is the Tanith 1st that essentially is made up of 3 regiments.

funny enough Tanith 1st is in Only War and has ruling being originally from the other regiments that make it up
>>
What is the most overkill your party has done on an enemy?
>>
File: StealthIsOptional.gif (956KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
StealthIsOptional.gif
956KB, 500x375px
>party goes to remote planet to see why they're behind on their tithe
>turns out there's a civil war brewing
>party has to figure out which faction to bet on and assist
>the planet is largely aquatic with numerous tropical islands around the equator
>one revolutionary faction may or may not be in league with Tau
>which may or may not be too evident until they have managed to help them
>government changes hands to frequently that they just have an inquisitor assigned to send a few acylotes every time to there's a new revolution to steer it in the right direction rather than committing any IG manpower to it
>party will have largely free reign over how to proceed
>including just installing themselves
>this will be playing through each session
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07m3aXx4Wto

Does it sound like an interesting campaign idea? Also, how do I promote infighting in the party of they take over the place for themselves? Would the latter be a bad idea? Should I just hope the players' wildly varying political opinions will see to that? Alternately, would it be more fun to have them overthrow a democratically elected government?

>>50308194
>-Fell off a boat, too augmentic to float, sank to the bottom of the sea. Some say he's still down there, walking slowly towards shore.

Cybernetically resurrected feels.

>>50309408
Post WW2 waffen SS armed with kraut space magic?
>>
>>50308014
Skull crushed by a naked ork nob.

This was after our naked assassin had punched the ork and critically hit.
>>
>>50345779
1d10+400 I Pen 0 to a Sororitas Seraphim. It turns out that making a rocket-assisted dive and then being blasted with Haywire makes you a pancake.
>>
Was there any Only War homebrew for psyker advanced specialties, by any chance?
>>
>>50345779
blowing up the Inquity star system with an archeotech looted exterminatus torpedo. It appears that said torpedo was a mass to energy converter payload... and they aimed that to the Inquity black hole.a twenty light years wide explosion is somewhat an overkill.
>>
>>50345779
Orbital bombardment to a Greater Daemon

An entire mountain range was a small price to pay for being rid of it
>>
>>50346978
Orbital bombardment on a greater daemon sounds perfectly reasonable.
>>
>>50309675
>"Can't fate this, no way to survive, make a new guy.
doesn't the rulebook say that if you crash your ship into the sun and burn a fate point you still have to live?
>>
>>50347078
Everyone has to have a fate point to burn in that situation

"Explorers who are on board the ship can choose to burn a Fate Point permanently in order to avoid certain death. However, the Explorers who burn Fate Points in this manner do so collectively—this means that each and every character on the ship must burn a Fate Point at the same time!"
>>
>>50346228

Ok, I'll bite:
...Why were they naked?
>>
>>50347403
I think that just means that if someone doesn't have a Fate Point, that person dies; it doesn't mean everyone has to.
>>
File: antifa.jpg (169KB, 1294x852px) Image search: [Google]
antifa.jpg
169KB, 1294x852px
>>50346215
Sounds like a great idea if you can pull it off.

>Also, how do I promote infighting in the party of they take over the place for themselves? Would the latter be a bad idea?
I can see problems. But if you make it clear that installing themselves can only be a temporary option because they are still owned by the Inquisition, you can avoid a campaign ender. Unless you're okay with ending the campaign here, or spending the rest of it dealing with problems on Tropico. That could actually be awesome. Could also be a good part 2 to see infighting play out between your players as they soon vie over control over their new government, and if they fuck everything up too bad another batch of Inquisition agents show up to depose them or Tau infiltrators.

Overall, I like the idea, and I wanna play it.
>>
I have a dubt about fear test in deathwatch.
Fear is tested every round or not?
>>
>>50348436
While I've heard some people argue at some point that Fear should be tested each round, and the rules don't seem to 100% clarify the point, every group I've ever run with has had it as just test when the fear inducing thing first appears in an encounter. It gets pretty ridiculous otherwise, just becoming a countdown to see how badly you fail when you inevitably do.
>>
Anybody around up for some build talk? I rolled up a space marine chapter I'm trying to flesh out.

I rolled a non-compliant ultramarines successor/spoiler]
>>
File: by the emperor.jpg (13KB, 204x200px) Image search: [Google]
by the emperor.jpg
13KB, 204x200px
>>50349283
>a non-compliant ultramarines successor
fucking kill yourself
I've never seen anything more egregious in all my years.
>>
>>50349402
Tell that to my d10.
>>
>>50315809
I'm on mac and when i load up the new file i can't find any of the tabs on actual weapons and armor and gear. Just the first page of quality descriptions
>>
>>50349283
Oh well, if anybody want to comment on what I ended up with, here it is:

Storm Lords
>Trial: Knowledge of self
>Reason for founding: Counter (Chaos)
>Founding: 41st Millennium
>Progenitor: Ultramarines
>Purity: A New Generation
>Demeanor: Brothers in Battle
>Characteristic modifers: +5 Willpower, +5 Agility
>Hero: Chapter Master
>Deed: Lost in the Warp
>Home World Type: Hive World
>Terrain: Jungle
>Rule: Direct Rule
>Organization: Unique Organization
>Combat doctrine: Thunderhawk assault
>Solo mode ability: Psyniscience, reroll Willpower tests to resist psychic powers
>Squad mode abilities: Tactical finesse, Swift advance
>Specialty restrictions: Assault marines
>Special equipment: Preferred fighting style
>Beliefs: Honor the ancestors
>Chapter status: Under-strength
>Friends: Imperial guard
>Enemies: Chaos Space Marines
>Chapter advances: Honor thy wargear

I was rolling up some chapters for fun, and this one looked interesting.
>>
>>50309408
Hmm, how about this?
>Regiment is from a planet that survived a massive invasion.
>Though the planet has been rebuilt, the long and brutal war made them experts in urban combat/defense.
>They now produce regiments specialized in urban resistance fighting. Rather than being used offensively, they're normally deployed for garrison duty on important worlds to stiffen the resolve of PDF troops and help co-ordinate total guerilla resistance to invading forces when things become dire.
>Units tend to embed with PDF forces for training purposes, increasing the standards of PDF performance.
>Regiments tend to be rather small by Imperial standards, but well trained and decently equipped.
> coming from a fairly industrialized world, they tend to have high quality equipment, though its tendency to break down under heavy use means they still rely on standard lasguns and other easy-to-maintain equipment as time wears on.

I dunno, I'm trying to think of "Late War Germany" without making it feel too much like Krieg or all the 40k SUPER NAZI GASMASK TROOPERS.
I'd also like to throw in some more weirdness to make it more 40k. Maybe they do some of that rumored SS Occult shit, and are secretly just this side of being heretical? Or they've worked with radical Inquisitors a lot behind enemy lines, stealing Chaos artifacts for study and future use?

>>50315335
Doing a big political intrigue campaign right now. Ran a side mission for a player who couldn't make the regular game, and his GF came in as a Navigator with a "Southern Belle" accent/personality. Hilarity ensued as they tried to convince the Conclave that their Inquisitor friend with a repeated history of storming Governor Hax's palace isn't a heretic.
>>
>>50349783
Nah.
>>
File: 1473936680326.jpg (104KB, 736x834px) Image search: [Google]
1473936680326.jpg
104KB, 736x834px
>>50349783
Hmm, I like the idea of a Jungle Hive World. The fact that a huge populace is being directly ruled by the Space Marines is kind of interesting.
Also, gotta change the name, Storm Lords are already a chapter.
Their psy powers and enmity with Chaos Marines could be connected. The Thousand Sons would be an obvious nemesis, but perhaps one of the renegade chapters would be more interesting?
Or maybe their Psyniscience is related to the loss of their first Chapter Master in the warp? They believe he's the only one who can come back and save them, and all of them now have a vague ability to sense the Warp which they use in vain hope of finding their lost master.
>>
>>50351290
Son of a bitch. I thought I checked the name, my bad.

From what I've got so far, there's a reason they hate traitor marines more than your usual loyalist, and that's because their Chapter Master got screwed over by some marines he had just learned fell to Chaos.

These people take protecting their comrades very, very seriously, and having a comrade repay them for their devotion with outright betrayal is something they take very, very poorly.
>>
I'm thinking of hosting a 40k campaign for my friends, and since they are nutjobs i figure they will love the imperium. Which would be the better start point? Rogue Trader? Dark Heresy 1e? Only War?

Also are there any particularly good premade adventures for any of those you would reccomend for players that don't know much about 40k? I personally know quite a bit but my players will know effectively zilch.
>>
It has to be asked. What is the all around best man portable weapon for dealing with the widest variety of threats? Assuming of course that the wielder is a non augmented human with no access to power armor.
>>
>>50352166
Autocannon. The answer is always autocannon.
>>
>>50352166

The Holy Trifecta
-Autocannon
-Storm Bolter with Special ammo (Kraken, Vengeance, etc)
-Rotor Cannon with Bio-corrosive ammo
>>
>>50352563
>All of these were invented post-heresy
>They're flat-out better than anything else
>Imperium's technology is supposed to be deteriorating

Right.
>>
>>50352690
>Autocannon
>Post-heresy

>Rotor Cannon with Bio-corrosive ammo
>Post-heresy
>>
>>50352563
We got rotor cannons in one of the books?

And no multi laser?
>>
>>50353078

It's in The Fringe is Yours.

And the multilaser is in most of the systems but it's never stated to be man portable.
>>
File: ONLY WAR.jpg (591KB, 833x1078px) Image search: [Google]
ONLY WAR.jpg
591KB, 833x1078px
>>50353078
We got multi-lasers in Only War Core.
>>
>>50353104
It's listed as heavy, not vehicle, so one would assume it's man-portable.
>>
>>50352132
>Dark Heresy 1st Edition

Always play second edition, anon.

Now, here's what you do.

>Take Dark Heresy 2nd Edition
>Grab the Edge of Darkness pre-generated adventure PDF
>Run that, with the mechanics ported over to Dark Heresy 2nd Edition from 1st Edition
>Run a few one-shot pre-generated adventures like Illumination from the 1e Core Rulebook, Jurisdiction of Book of Judgment, etc.
>Just use DH2e mechanics with DH1e adventures
>Get Disciples of the Dark Gods, Creatures Anathema, and read all the lore in those books and then in the other 1e sourcebooks
>Run Calixis Sector adventures with 2e mechanics
>Do not run Apostasy Gambit[/spoiler
>Eventually cap the game off with Haarlock's Legacy
>>
>>50353104
It's a heavy weapon. By RAW it's 100% man portable, and the only reason people pass over it is because you don't see it on the tabletop except on chimeras.
>>
>>50353256

Some vehicles get it Pintle mount but yeah, it's normally seen as turret weapons of vehicles.
>>
>>50353199
What's wrong with Apostasy Gambit?
>>
>>50339127
Oh how I would love to play a game where the RT wants to turn the Koronus Expanse into the Koronus Sector. I only had one game so far, and the RT is little more than a legalized pirate. A reckless one at that.

Perhaps one day.
>>
>>50346215
>Does it sound like an interesting campaign idea?
Would totally play it.

As for the rest; it depends on how smart/bloodthirsty your players are. If they enjoy a political game, or not. If they enjoy having a mission that has no simple answers or not.
>>
File: CHA6EWoWcAIFlqT.png (8KB, 351x227px) Image search: [Google]
CHA6EWoWcAIFlqT.png
8KB, 351x227px
>>50346215
Yeeeeeeeeeeeesssssss.
>>
>>50353553

It wrecks the lore of the sector and lets players joyride a titan.
>>
>>50353104
Wait the "holy trifecta" of weapons includes a fan made weapon? That seems pretty fucking lame.
>>
>>50354799

Why?
>>
>>50353941
That sounds fantastic.
>>
Quick OnlyWar question if anyone is alive (or undead)

Do you lose the Comrade Advances if the Comrade dies. the book isn't clear on that, and I can't make up my mind based on information given
>>
>>50355369

Veteran comrade talent literally says the talent applies to the new comrade. The rest apply as well.
>>
>>50353199
Why would i use DH2e? It has barely any content compared to the first edition and honestly from what i remember it was a downgrade in nearly every way.
>>
>>50355394
which book is that one because I've only got the Core atm
>>
>>50355394
Found it but it still doesn't answer my question. I said Comrade Advances not Talents, and the Veteran Talent only talks about Veteran Talent, Not Comrade Advances
>>
>>50355597
The assumption is if the talent transfers so do the orders. My reasoning is when you acquire the new one you teach them how to react when you give the order.
>>
What kind of background info should I come up with for my OW regiment?
>>
>>50355660
Past battles, friends, rivals, level of discipline, relationship with the admech/ministorum, inquisitorial encounters, etc.
>>
>>50355660
What kind of regiment is it, anon? We need a basic amount of information on them.

Unless you're looking for a checklist, in which case >>50355697 has a good start. Don't forget planetary history, in-universe justification for why they fight the way they do, things like the culture between their officers and enlisted (are they separate? Do they mingle?), are they all men or all women or mixed? How does that work with their culture? Also fit in flaws alongside their specialization, how they like to keep track of their annals, whether or not any of their planetary habits left with them. Fun facts, things like that.
>>
>>50311068
Mortal Terminator Armor was also in... Daemon Hunter, I think. For DH1.
>>
>>50355644
>Orders
I'm not seeing the word Advances in there.
also the orders in the Talent pertain to
>Veteran Orders
Another thing:
Ogryns Comrade Advances in the Core rules enact the Advances to the Comrade as though they are individuals, as the Ogryn becomes affectionate towards that singular Comrade.
while other specialists comrade advances talk about how it's just the specialist giving orders to them fluffwise

I hope you can understand my confusion with Whether or not Comrade Advances are lost when the said comrade dies.
>>
File: halal intensifies.jpg (379KB, 1144x1303px) Image search: [Google]
halal intensifies.jpg
379KB, 1144x1303px
>>50352132
Dark Heresy is good as far as "starting small". If you're using 1e, I'd limit players to the core book, and maybe some of the alternate homeworlds or background packages from Inquisitor's Handbook, but honestly the core should keep things nice and simple.
Personally, for all its warts I consider Rogue Trader to be one of the best RPGs out there on a conceptual level. Starting characters are important people who can have an impact on the setting, everyone's got a defined role to fill, and anyone who has a really odd-ball concept that wouldn't fit in well with the regular Imperium works perfectly with Rogue Trader. Plus, you're basically galactic murderhobos with style, so any veteran roleplayer can get into it.
>>50355454
I'm a 1e player myself, but from what I gather the general consensus is that 2e has better/less clunky core rules and generally refines the system, while still being easy to port things over from 1e. It's pretty widely agreed that 1e has a better setting.
>>50355660
What the homeworld is like, and how that reflects regimental culture. If military service is a punishment for law breakers, it will have a very different feel from a regiment of patriotic volunteers.
Discipline and training.
Rivalries/enemies.
At least one significant past event. Unless the regiment was just founded, they've probably been involved in something that affected their identity as a regiment at one point.
Some people like to write up whole documents on their regiments, which is great, but remember the 3e Guard Codex had a wonderful page that was just the "look" of different guard regiments, their names, and one fact or description of them.
>>
>>50355753
A general checklist was what I was looking for. I'm going to have to come up with alot of the background of the regiment as my players will likely not do anything.

On that note, is a nobleborn regiment literally just like an entire generation of noble children from an entire planet?
>>
>>50355867
A regiment is not that many people, anon. Nowhere NEAR that many people.
>>
How would I run a Horus Heresy RPG?
>>
>>50355867
>On that note, is a nobleborn regiment literally just like an entire generation of noble children from an entire planet?
Well, yes, they're all nobles. But regiments generally run from 3k at the lowest to 10k at the highest, and most worlds will have tens of thousands of nobles or more.
>>50356041
There are fansplats for the Traitor Legions as Deathwatch characters floating around. Decide if you're playing loyalists or traitors (Or from before that became relevant), allow people to pick from 1-4 closely aligned Legions, play it as especially high-powered Deathwatch.
>>
>>50355867
A nobleborn regiment will often be made up of purely the scions of the noble families of the planet, but a single regiment is only a couple thousand people by our standards. There are sources in 40k that show that the word "regiment," is less the NATO standard and more the old-school meaning: a military unit of varying size that all train the same way, follow their own organizational chart (but are typically led by a Captain-of-Men in the old-school sense) and often recruit independently.

In 40k a regiment can reach all the way up to something like 8,000-10,000 people in some rare situations. Usually it's closer to 2,000-4,000 from what I've seem. So it would be made up of about that many noblemen, but in a nobleborn regiment they're pretty much always going to be nobles.
>>
>>50356093
They also wouldn't be normal ground troops. They're more likely to be dragoons, grenadiers, or the equivalent to mounted troops. They won't have the numbers but have the money for good shit. Make the Tanks for example the world's equivalents to knights, with the tank being the steed, the nobles the tank commanders, and their comrades their batmen who do various tasks on the tanks.
>>
>>50356167
>they also wouldn't be normal ground troops
While I like most of what's in this overall post, I disagree with what was greentext'd. The Scintillans have very well-known line infantry regiments. It can happen, but it can seem odd unless you're doing what they're doing and appealing to the Revolutionary War imagery.

But for the most part, yes, they're likely to have a lot of servants and have lots of neat toys.
>>
>>50355997
>>50356060
>>50356093
See now I guess my misconception was that a IG regiment was like 50k-100k troopers.

But I guess if you've got an imperial world of like 4 billion people and 0.1% of them are nobles that's still 4 million potential recruits. And if it's a Hive world with 10 times that many people you could just shit out wave after wave of lasgun wielding fops.
>>
>>50356252
Yeah, regiments are intentionally kept just small enough that they'd need to have multiples of them working together to rebel in order for another thing like the Heresy to happen.

This doesn't mean that Traitor Guard-backed secessions and rebellions don't happen, it just means that they need a commander capable of keeping the various regiments together in order to make it work. Or that commander needs a shit-ton of regiments who all follow a singular-enough culture that controlling them all isn't as much of an issue (the Severan Dominate, for example).
>>
>>50356252
Regiments really vary in size, but the idea is none can alone go rogue effectively. More importantly each may be to an extent self sufficient, but are NEVER combined arms and need support from other regiments to do anything. You're infantry, tanks, ect or bust.
>>
>>50356341
>>50356311
So an IG regiment wouldn't have something like a heavy weapons company, artillery section, or stormtrooper cohort attached to it?
>>
>>50356252
Hell you could have some fun coming up with how the planet can afford a tithe of noblemen in a regiment.

The noble houses don't have a normal marriage. Instead each noble household has a single head, who is required to have multiple (10+ wives) and keep them in a state of perpetual pregnancy. Then every 5 years all the children aged 17-22 are rounded up and stuck in a single regiment to be given to the Imperial Guard for 5 years. Those who survive are considered the elite and make the next generation of Nobility. Avoids a lot of the issues of noble idleness and inbreeding that seems to be common in 40K.
>>
>>50356399
Depends heavily on the regiment. The IG is incredibly un-uniform. Some regiments are specifically dedicated to a unique type of warfare (Rough Riders or Trench Warfare), but others may be flexible in the combat they're capable of, having a few Basilisks, several companies focused on line infantry warfare, and a couple of platoons that acts as forward recon.
>>
>>50356399
>>50356341
Kind of. The thing is, no regiment--as an organized entity--is allowed to have too many combined arms in them. Some planets (like Cadia) get around this technicality by having their regiments smaller (closer to the NATO standard, which is why many are about 2,000-4,000) but shipping multiple regiments that do different things from the same planet to the same warzone. That way the same culture is still interacting and working together smoothly, and the Munitorum's rules aren't being broken.

But >>50356399, you've gone too far into it. Look at it the way we do them nowadays in the NATO-standard. An infantry regiment is going to have heavy weapons platoons in each company, and support personnel are a must for every battalion. That infantry regiment might have a company or two of what are called Grenadiers--which are stormtroopers, effectively--but they're still technically infantry.

Now that same infantry regiment wouldn't have an artillery section, no. Unless that artillery was mortars or something, but those are part of heavy weapon companies in that regiment's battalions.

Keep in mind that there is a lot of variety to all of this. The Imperial Guard is quite possibly one of the, if not simply the, largest and most diverse fighting force in science fiction. There's room to wiggle.
>>
>>50356399
If it's infantry it'll have heavy weapon platoons, but on the other hand technically an Iron Fist Mechanized company won't since they're a Mech Regiment (But it might have heavy weapons in the squads). Similarly Artillery are their own regiments, as are stormtroopers. However as we see in battles they get attached to other units to support them.

A small company sized unit under the command of a captain or lieutenant may fall under the infantry colonel's command. Just as likely you'll see entire regimental batteries who only take order from their colonel and tell the infantry to fuck off.

The biggest thing to take from this though are these are the baseline, not the rules. Just like the Codex says there's no limit on how big Scout Companies can be, there are always loopholes and it's a big fucking universe. Rock your dudes how you want them.
>>
>>50356406
On that note what is the typical life cycle of a regiment, I know the number in front of a regiment is usually its founding, but do regiments ever retire or are they constantly kept going with fresh recruits?

I was thinking along the lines of their is numerous regiments raised from a particular world and in order to keep them bolstered with fresh recruits officers return home to wine and dine various noble families in the hopes of getting them to sign up their children (or get the children to sign up themselves.) Which creates alot of rivalry between the various regiments as families tend to send their children to the same regiment generation to generation and family feuds tend to follow them.
>>
>>50356549
>On that note what is the typical life cycle of a regiment, I know the number in front of a regiment is usually its founding, but do regiments ever retire or are they constantly kept going with fresh recruits?
Depends on the regiment. Some are refreshed constantly and kept going, others are dumped onto a newly-conquered world to settle it, others are recalled back home, and then you have fucking Chenkov, who's a scandal in the Valhallans for regularly getting his regiment wiped out almost to a man and having to go through an almost yearly re-founding.
>>
>>50308014
Since we're so close to the bump limit, we got some fresh baked bread
>>50357201
>>50357201
>>50357201
>>
>>50353427

So are HBs (Chimerae), Autocannon (Taurox and FW's Storm Chimerae), Heavy Flamers...

E: Select all images with waffles. FUCK YOU CAPTCHA.
>>
>>50356341

Except every Imperial Armour book used to have at least one regimental orbat and they were nearly always combined arms (as in, any armoured regiment has mechanized infantry and organic SPA).
>>
>>50357388
But that's not how canon it's supposed to work.
Thread posts: 298
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.