[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Fate System It doesn't really work. The compels and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 1476341382875.jpg (68KB, 614x819px) Image search: [Google]
1476341382875.jpg
68KB, 614x819px
>Fate System

It doesn't really work.

The compels and the fate points don't work because they harshly separate the character and the player, with the common complaint being that it felt more like controlling an NPC than playing a character.

The dice system is simple in concept but unclear in practice, with the mathematics being unintuitive and adjustments to the numbers going from negligible to dramatic rather sharply due to the heavy curve of 4dF. This also requires the GM to ignore any universal standards and instead make each challenge relative to the character, making the system feel distinctly arbitrary.

The Stress and Consequences, while good for being simple to track, ends up going between dull and disastrous, and rarely hitting an appropriate sweet spot. They are also rather indistinct like most of the game, and it's hard for players to really gauge what "stress" really means.

There are some good ideas here, but it seems like it struggles largely from its narrative roots and lacks a strong underlying core to carry a game. It's better ideas might be worth trying out with other systems, but as a whole it's best usage is for lazy GM's who really just want to play freeform but don't want to admit to wanting to play freeform.
>>
>it felt more like controlling an NPC than playing a character.

Uhhhh as it should be???
>>
>>50307848
What did they do to Mokey Mokey
>>
>>50307862
what the fuck possessed you to think that feeling that you're not actually roleplaying is a good thing in a roleplaying game, let alone try to imply that this is the norm
for fucks sakes at the very least you could've said 'no, it really doesn't' instead and you'd be stating an opinion on the system instead of going full fucking retard
>>
>>50308343
If you pretend to be your character and live in his shoes you're a low trash roleplayer f@m.
>>
>>50307848
Fate can be pretty good for spur of the moment one shots, but yeah you pretty much hit the nail on the head.
>>
File: 1479008087821.jpg (13KB, 324x451px) Image search: [Google]
1479008087821.jpg
13KB, 324x451px
>>50307848
>compels and the fate points don't work because they harshly separate the character and the player
That's a playstyle preference. If you want to be only be able to affect the game world through the actions of your PC you should not be playing Fate or narrative games in general. That's fine, but isn't a good criticism. Fate does that intentionally and meets it's design goals doing so.

>dice system
>numbers going from negligible to dramatic
Again, intentional. It's a narrativist game, you want big failures and big successes.

I do agree that the modifiers are too big by default. A character's apex skill should be +3.

>GM to ignore any universal standards and instead make each challenge relative to the character
Fate says the target number is 0, until you add opposition and Invokes. That's transparent and on the table. If your GM is fiddling with the TNs secretly that's their fault, not the system's.

> Stress and Consequences
Stress is as intuitive and sensible as HP in any system that uses it. Consequences are as interesting as your players are creative.

> lacks a strong underlying core
The Fate's unified dice and Aspect system is used for literally every scenario in a game. If that's not a unified core I don't know what is.

You need good players and should houserule and tweak the shit out of Core for any given campaign. Fate's a tricky system, and can take a while to click with you. I know it's a cop-out to say "house rule it" when you could just play another game that does it better, but the fact is there's nothing quite like Fate. If it almost works for you but doesn't quite get there, I believe it's worth it to get more used to it and learn how to tweak it to suit you and your group's needs.

Fate Internet defence force out.
>>
>>50307848
They should have just made it all aspects. Fiddling with 'skill pyramids' and 'stunts' and funny dice just add complexity where none is needed. The core 'pay points to succeed, get points for failing' mechanic works fine without rolling at all.
>>
>>50312582
>Fate does that intentionally and meets it's design goals doing so.

If a system is to be evaluated by it meeting goals set by its own designers, we lose any real meaning in the evaluation of a system.

The "playstyle preference" here is an awkward system that tries to mechanically reward players for narratively sabotaging themselves, a contradiction in motivations that is not easily resolved, and the foremost way to do is so is to disconnect from the character, but that ironically also makes the mechanical reward less enticing.

>Again, intentional. It's a narrativist game, you want big failures and big successes.

A more mechanically transparent game can likewise have big failures and big successes. The issue with the 4dF system is that it is simple to learn but difficult to use, and that can hardly be called intentional.

>Fate says the target number is 0, until you add opposition and Invokes.

Universal Standards in the sense of a difficulties being consistent, but for Fate it requires a fair amount of fiddling because even starting characters can easily blow past great challenges, but there's a steep wall past fantastic, without much room to maneuver in between.

>Stress is as intuitive and sensible as HP in any system that uses it. Consequences are as interesting as your players are creative.

HP typically deals with larger numbers, enabling more finesse since you can work with smaller units. However, most games that use HP also include alternate forms of damage/consequences, and the total combined system is a bit more intuitive than the rather more arbitrary stress or consequences system Fate uses.

>The Fate's unified dice and Aspect system is used for literally every scenario in a game. If that's not a unified core I don't know what is.

It's unified, but it's certainly not all that strong.
I found it's worth tweaking largely because it's easy to teach, but it's failings come from it being quite difficult to really understand.
>>
>>50312792
I agree that the system has a lot of redundancy, which is strange because it's already rather light.

The "aspects" part of the game is something that I've struggled to get to work, but I'm so intrigued with the idea I'd be willing to use it as another layer on top of other systems.
>>
>>50313329
I think the best use of Fate is to install it into other games. Games that have Fate baked into them (ex. Cortex+) tend to be superior to Fate itself.
>>
>>50313287
>real meaning in the evaluation of a system
Instead you compare it to your own set of standards, which admittedly do seem well reasoned, but should not be mistaken for any sort of objective metric.

>narratively sabotaging themselves, a contradiction
>disconnect from the character
Seeing a character go through hardship is a staple of character development and of a good story. I don't see why exploring your character in this way implies the player must disconnect. If anything, the opposite seems true.

>4dF, difficult to use
It's a bellcurve, all modifiers are public knowledge. I don't see the issue. Players throw Fate points at stuff they care about, and don't if not. There's not enough mechanical finagling to have any system 'mastery'. It's there to give some suspense and unknown element to the story when you want it, and it's out of the way when you don't.

> stress
>larger numbers, enabling more finesse
There's few Stress boxes to make conflicts fast and dramatic. Losing one of three Stress boxes brings you a closer to harm than losing eleven of fifty two hit points. And it feels like it too, no need to figure out what percentage you're at.

>intuitive, arbitrary, strong
Again I think we're just working off different subjective definitions.

>>50313329
>get aspects to work
Have pokerchips or something similar that you put down with a keyword on a whiteboard or index card. Having it physically on the table helps reinforce it as a resource to be used.

>>50313870
Yeah Fate Core needs a lot of work to make it work for any particular game you want to run. I wouldn't suggest anyone run Fate RAW
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.