[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've started a DnD 5e group at work, and I'd like to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: NWIPbqS.jpg (454KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
NWIPbqS.jpg
454KB, 1920x1080px
I've started a DnD 5e group at work, and I'd like to DM.

I've only done some real minor DMing in the past and I'd like some tips on how to keep things running smoothly.

I'm going to run off a module (Princes of the Apocalypse)
>>
>>50300395
Read the module first. All the way through, take notes and do what you need to do to make it easy to access for you. Bookmarks, stickies and hand written notes are all great. Even make character sheets for mosnters and npcs if the help you. Or even use apps (I just found fight club 5e and its great for me) to keep track of monster stats.

Talk to your players and find out what their goals for their characters are and try to incorporate them into the campaign.

Allow things to deviate off course from how the book says it should go. A good dm will find ways of making important things happen in ways that don't seem forced to players.

Always make sure that things are fun. Even difficult and disheartening can be morefun than mowing down badguys. The books are made to be used with the 8,10,12,13,14,15 stat set so if you let them roll you'll need to change a thing here or there.
>>
>>50300974
Thanks, I didn't know about the stat set thing. I'll keep that in mind.
>>
>>50301685
If you use a computer to DM like I do, I would suggest using this site: http://radai.github.io/dnd5tools/

It's is a compendium of items, monsters and spells, makes it very easy to lookup things quickly and prevents you from slowing things down to consult the core books

Overall, just go off the module when you can, improvise when you can't and since you're just starting off, try and improvise it back on course to the module.
>>
File: Vitkoria.jpg (473KB, 600x880px) Image search: [Google]
Vitkoria.jpg
473KB, 600x880px
>>50302798
That site looks useful as fuck man thanks.
>>
>>50300395
If you're doing a whole campaign have a session 0.
Set the ideas and expectations of the Players, make the characters together so they have more than
>I'm an Elf and have a bow
to say for their character. work out actual long term goals that their characters have in relation to the campaign. So they know what drives their character.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.