[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any horror RPGs out there similar to Call of Cthulu,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4

File: esoteric-path.jpg (118KB, 576x482px) Image search: [Google]
esoteric-path.jpg
118KB, 576x482px
Are there any horror RPGs out there similar to Call of Cthulu, but are more focused on real world occultism over Lovecraftian mythos?
>>
No, because Lovecraft ruined everything. It's easy to create Lovecraftian horror games because his creatures are obvious others, allowing a simplistic view of horror that doesn't depend on the psychological aspect of confronting something that seems like you, but is very definitely not at all like you.
>>
File: nephilim001.gif (220KB, 469x600px) Image search: [Google]
nephilim001.gif
220KB, 469x600px
The game you are looking for is called Nephilim. It is the same basic system as CoC (BRP/d100).

It uses historical occultism and secret societies to frame a war between the Nephilim, who are basically reincarnating demi-gods, and the occult conspiracies that control the world.

The magic system is very detailed and dependent on rituals, astrological conjunction, and KA, the spirit essence of powerful and otherworldy beings.

Originally published in French it has gone through several editions by way of Chaosium. I don't think it's currently in print but maybe Drivethru has it. I haven't seen any material in the troves lately.

It's a good game game, if a bit dense. I've only played one very short campaign but I had no real complaints. I'd run it if I didn't prefer UA's post-modern approach to modern occult. Nephilim works best run in different eras though so it has a pretty solid classical occult feel to it.

I'll try to dig up a pdf if there's interest.
>>
File: Kult_front_cover.jpg (203KB, 800x1053px) Image search: [Google]
Kult_front_cover.jpg
203KB, 800x1053px
Kult
>>
>>50297993
Lovecraft didn't ruin anything he generated an entire new realm of horror. What ruins it are people who like how the incomprehensible beings are represented by people. Therefore a game requiring description and standardized understanding of characteristics intrinsically alters the paradigm that Lovecraftian horror exists within. Lovecraftian horror most of the time you aren't even sure what you are scared of. Occasionally you may get a sense of something, but the geometries of why it works the way it does bend the mind. Ever read "The King in Yellow"? It's a series of short stories some with simple monstrosities some more strange and subtle, but the true horror lies within the frenetic confusion where your mind whispers that everything is connected. Names, places, events all seem to thread together in some unknown creatures impossible to comprehend plan . You start to obsess over strange things and feel what true madness is seep into your mind. It's that glimpse of what madness is, of how it feels to be trapped within the machinations of something so large and so complex that it is impossible to ever understand why it happened to you.
>>
>>50297494
Try World of Darkness
>>
I'm interested too. Specifically X-files esque alien conspiracy coverups or secret society Illuminati material in games.
>>
File: unknownarmies.jpg (144KB, 785x700px) Image search: [Google]
unknownarmies.jpg
144KB, 785x700px
>>50297494
Unknown Armies is modern day occultism/conspiracies in a modern world.
World of Darkness is old world occultism/conspiracies in a modern world.
>>
>>50302899
GURPS Cabal and Dark Matter (Alternity version, not d20 Modern) may suit you. Conspiracy X and Dark Conspiracy too, maybe?
>>
>>50302937
Oh, and maybe GURPS Black Ops, which is an MiB sort of thing.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.