[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do other DMs drench their handouts in coffee 1 week before the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: img052b.jpg (379KB, 1012x879px) Image search: [Google]
img052b.jpg
379KB, 1012x879px
Do other DMs drench their handouts in coffee 1 week before the sessions, to give them an old appearance?

Also share other fun little things DMs and players can do to give a game that little bit extra joy.
>>
>>50290900
>Still using paper
>Not making vellum by hand and then writing on it with iron based ink and a quill for every handout

In all seriousness that coffee thing is a pretty good idea though. You could also try doing silly stuff like dripping wax on it to make it look like it was written by candle light. Or if you want to really go crazy, make a fake wax seal with an embossing stamp and a little hot beeswax. Had a GM once who actually gave us a wax sealed letter as a puzzle once, to see if we could open it irl without damaging it. Fun times.

Though in the end you can go crazy doing things for your players that they won't ever appreciate like the greentext, which is why personally when I DM (which Isn't often) I usually do the bare minimum unless I have a special group who really appreciates the little things.

Anyways a one or two more things off the top of my head
Sound effects, playing ambient sounds for the location is kind of fun, dripping stalactites and bat sounds in caves, jungle animals when in a jungle, crickets at night, that sort of thing. Not everyone enjoys it though some find it makes it hard to think.
The occasional real life prop for puzzles and the like, hard to do but works great if you can pull it off, and they can often be reused in another game.
>>
>>50290900
>Do other DMs drench their handouts in coffee 1 week before the sessions, to give them an old appearance?
I've done it a couple times.
>>
I've handed the players in a Call of Cthulu game set in England a letter, written by a victorian character, in a stained envelop with a (fake) Penny Red postage stamp and franking mark.
>>
Wow, fantastic stuff even four posts in. Thanks guys!
>>
>>50290900
I've switched to roll20 for the last few campaigns. I get lots of positive feedback for keeping a "home page" where the general party status is kept. Position on an over world map, general inventory, and party status of each character and their pog. I reccomend it.
>>
>>50290900
I use watercolors. It's a more controllable effect and doesn't make the paper smell funny.
>>
>>50293457

screenshotted for future use, thanks anon

ill probably do this
>>
>>50290900
No but I will be doing so now.....never thought to do this
>>
My sister does a shit ton of painting, so I just use the biggest brush of her's that I can find and paint the paper with coffee.

It turns out to be less messy than dunking the paper and less accident prone. As in, ruining the sheets.
>>
File: Aged Paper Texture.jpg (2MB, 2099x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Aged Paper Texture.jpg
2MB, 2099x3000px
>>50294091
a better method of ageing paper is to soak in a shallow bath of cold tea.

it gives a lighter, more even tone to it, and as it soaks the paper all over, it minimises wrinkling.

the secret used by a number of forgers in the 20th C is to then use instant coffee granules, and to sprinkle a few of those onto the paper in the bath.

that creates soft-edged blotches of darker tint, the so-called "foxing" on paper.

here's an example of the result:
>>
Once I played in a Black Crusade game as a Q'Sal Magister Immaterial. I made my character sheet out of construction paper and burned the edges. I darkened the rest of the sheet with smoke, which was annoying because it came off whenever I had to erase something.

I wrote everything in my best imitation of that one faux-cursive 40k RPG font that is really hard to read. And all my stats were in Roman numerals.

The game folded after 2 sessions, but my impossible to read sheet will be with me forever.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.