[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/tg/, last week my joke character did something badass and jumped

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: 1476213876656.jpg (238KB, 867x613px) Image search: [Google]
1476213876656.jpg
238KB, 867x613px
/tg/, last week my joke character did something badass and jumped the party up from level 2 to level 4, and I'm pretty pumped about it. This character may survive to greatness yet.

Do you have any stories of unassuming characters preforming acts of greatness? Don't be shy, tell me about it!
>>
>>50288002
>jumped the party up from level 2 to level 4
Explain, this sounds "we diverted river into the dungeon, drowned everything inside and are getting xp for all of them." levels of crazy.
>>
>>50288025
So, long story short, I'm in a barrel.

Actually, lets back up a bit. This campaign started a few weeks ago. our GM told us to make characters who are regular schmucks. The idea is regular people thrust into irregular circumstance. My character is an old lady who wanted to be an adventurer when she was younger, but decided to take the "mature" option, and settle down and raise a family. Now that her kids are raising her grandkids, and her husband has passed on, she finds herself with a chance to finally go on those adventures.

So anyway, I'm in a barrel surrounded by zombies because the spell caster likes blasting things. Keep in mind, I got sorta shoe-horned into being a healer, which is the only reason the other PCs keep a decrepit old lady around. From in my barrel I'm holding a Detect Undead spell, and it's lighting up like Mardi Gras. Then the caster decides to go loud, so I looked at the GM and said, "Anon, I'm very sorry about this, but I'm going to need you roll 500 will saves."

I spammed Channel Positive Energy until my undead-radar turned into a donut. After we got out of that mess, the GM counted up the XP, and we leveled twice. He said I did over 1000 damage on my first energy pulse.

Like I said, I'm kinda pumped about it.
>>
>>50288276
>He said I did over 1000 damage on my first energy pulse.
HOW. I'm assuming he meant between all the enemies in the radius, but HOW. How is that even possible for a level 2 cleric?

Let's assume best case scenario, you had a phylactery of positive channeling, all the enemies failed their saves, you rolled max, and every square in the burst had an enemy. Let's do the math. I suck at math, so please, feel free to correct me.

Looking at the number of squares affected by a 30 foot radius burst, it could get 96 enemies.

If each enemy took full damage, that would be a total of 576 damage between all enemies with a 1d6 channel energy from a level 2 cleric.

If you have the Sun domain, that would be an extra 2 damage per target, so a total of 768 damage.

According to my math, you'd need a phylactery of positive channeling, something you have no business having at level 1, to deal a total of over 1000 damage across all targets on a single channel at level 2.
>>
>>50288401
Huh.
I didn't do the math. I just cast the spell.

However, I don't think he was fully honoring the space rules. We estimated about half of them would be in range (although thinking about it after the fact, that's not how circles work).

Also, he later realized he accidentally let it do damage to all of them rather than half, but it was too late to retcon. That was probably a big part of it. It's also probably worth mentioning that with was pathfinder, not 5e, even though I think Channel Energy works the same.

And I did roll a 6. It was great.
>>
>>50288508
I assumed PF, that's how I did the math. DM fucking up and doing more damage to the enemies than he should have makes sense. Also, doing theater of the mind in a system designed for grids and minis can lead to "yeah, about half sounds right" situations.
>>
File: 84b.png (62KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
84b.png
62KB, 300x169px
>>50288552
Yeah, fair enough.
But the point is I saved the day when no one expected me to.

Got any stories like that?
>>
>>50288643
That happened a few times while I was running games.

>Near the end of the campaign
>Only the wizard and the gunslinger showed up
>Party decides to face my "fuck your shit" joke monster
>A cyborg sith wooly mammoth with max stats
>Party getting their shit stomped
>Gunslinger rolls just right to activate wild magic
>Gets the results "the next words spoken by the caster become true."
>"I am now a god!"
>The gunslinger's god and his two fellow gods descends to welcome him to godhood
>They all gang up on the "fuck your shit" monster

Next session, second to last of campaign
>Party gets cocky, still just the gunslinger and wizard however
>They go after a doll witch based on Alice Margatroid
>Swarms of dozens of dolls
>They chip away at the party's stats
>Gets to the point where they're both 1 hit away from dying
>Alice still has dolls for days and 2 spell cards
>Wizard tries to charge up a spell and gets interrupted
>Wild magic, draws that particular card
>"I am now a god."
>A council of magic gods descend to welcome him to godhood
>Wizard uses his new god powers to spam Dragon Slave until all their problems go away.
>>
>Party around level 10, facing a level 20 undead wizard.
>Party attacks without warning to get a jump on it.
>First round, party wizard casts Feeblemind
>Roll a 4
>With the penalty casters get on their save and the enemy being poorly equipped, they failed by a wide margin.
>Wizard's player goes, "hey, if you wanna retcon it, that's cool. I don't wanna ruin your encounter."
>I'm usually one to abide by the dice, but I go, "well, it DID hit my pencil, so I'll just reroll."
>Reroll, it's a 1
>"Welp. The dice gods have spoken, it gets feebleminded."
>There goes it's spellcasting ability.
>And because it's undead and feeblemind drops CHA to 1 also, lost most of its HP too.
>Party ranger easily trounces it with a full attack
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.