[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you have any experience with playing public games on roll20?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Roll20_TWIT_400x400.jpg (24KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Roll20_TWIT_400x400.jpg
24KB, 400x400px
Do you have any experience with playing public games on roll20? What was it like? Do you have any stories about it that you want to share? What do you think about the roll20 public game community as a whole?
>>
>>50284468
bump for intrest
>>
>>50284468
It's 98% garbage. You have to understand that most of the community on roll20 is made up of the rejects who can't get any other game. They NEED to achieve maximum exposure because almost every game they fling themselves at, they won't stick to.

Roll20 is efficient if gaming in real life isn't viable, but you're better off taking an existing group of friends and playing there. If you absolutely must use the LFG, you need to either have very low standards, or get ready to go through 20-30 players to find 3-4 good ones.
>>
>>50284468
>Find a group
>Pretty standard premise and game and characters with 4 people+DM
>Gotta wait another week
>Try to plan things out with others while we wait
>Only the female half-elf druid responding to anything
>Day of the campaign starts and no one, not even the GM shows up

>Me and half-elf start rollplaying our own adventures.
>We drop the dice and go straight to the smut

[spoilers]we've done stories of a dragon and a kidnapped princess, an orc queen and a 12-year-old human, and other non-board games[/spoiler]

I'd really love to get a fucking campaign that gets off the ground though. So far I haven't ha any get that far.
>>
>>50284622
This
>>
>>50284468
Roll20 is a game table tool. It is not a community.
There are no people there. There are no options among their ranks.
>>
I knew a kid that was DMing for a bunch of his weeb friends, and charging micro transactions over paypal for in-game benefits. Seriously.
>>
>>50284848
its the modern lemonade stand
>>
>>50284848
I heard ladies would take their clothes off, on camera, for money!
>>
>>50284848
I saw a game on there just yesterday that was charging like 30$ per session.
>>
>>50285096
i bet he started at 50cents and raised it slowly like this magazine scams were the first magazine costs "JUST 1$"
>>
>>50285141
Probably. Also a guy doing pathfinder groups at 7$ a session.
Entire seem things really fucking greedy, The Ledge: A Maze if you want to check it out.
>>
>>50284468
Found a game with some cool people. GM had to cancel because life stuff happened.

It was a GURPS game too, so I'll never find another game.
>>
>>50285263
pity, you just missed out on me recruiting for Stargate 1888

Dont ask; were currently at 5 players. Ill let GURPSgeneral know if we need new ones anytime soon
>>
>>50285222
>DnD and Pathfinder
why doesn't it wonder me that DnD and Pathfinder players are dumb and lonly enogh to fall for this
>>
>>50285297
Because they're probably the most played, larger player base means more lonely/stupid people.
>>
I have played online and in person a fair bit each, with both annoying shitty groups, mediocre groups, and amazing groups in both. And honestly playing in person is the better experience, always almost every time.

its just more engaging, the roleplay has that spark that it doesnt have online when the skype is just silent and everyones waiting to talk. you hear people rattling their keys on fb or on a video game. It sucks.

Even with good groups that dont do that just the impersonality of it dulls the fun. I know not everyone is lucky enough to have a gaming group in person, but try and find one. If all you know is online D&D, you will not regret finding an in person group. Its so much better of an experience its just ridiculous.
>>
I ended up in a pretty good Planescape game that was started on Roll20. Though from what I've heard, my case is the exception, not the rule. It also helps that Planescape fans tend to not be very into murderhoboing. It also helps that the DM vetted everyone pretty thoroughly.

If you're looking for a game as a player on there, my advice is be picky. There;s enough games that are posted that you can generally get a good sense of how the GM and the players are from seeing their writeups.

If you're planning on recruiting for a game on there, God help you.
>>
File: 1478401194574.png (45KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1478401194574.png
45KB, 600x600px
>>50287378
>If you're planning on recruiting for a game on there, God help you.
This. Recruiting on Roll20 is an even worse idea than recruiting here on /tg/. It's exactly like >>50284622 said -- people who rely on public stuff are rejects who bounce from game to game because either they lack the dedication to stick with anything or they keep getting kicked out. If you're recruiting publicly, you're likely to get only flakes and That Guys.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.