[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /tg/. I have a kind of strange problem with my games that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: maxresdefault.jpg (274KB, 1920x1180px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
274KB, 1920x1180px
Hey /tg/. I have a kind of strange problem with my games that I'm not sure how to deal with - or if it's even really a problem.

My players really, really like to talk among themselves. In-character, mind you, but a whole lot of talking. About each others' hometowns, histories, families, goals, pretty much everything. And while I actively encourage my players to RP, and this is all cool, every time something happens it seems like every player wants to have a little "scene" with one, maybe two other players to talk about what they think about what just happens.

It's gotten to the point where we'll have one session where we have an adventure or delve in a dungeon, and another session where everyone sits around the campfire and argues, debates, discusses, and jokes about the last session for up to three hours before hitting the road again.

It's been making things running really, really slow.
>>
Sounds awesome and a complete non-problem if they are enjoying themselves. Is it boring you?
>>
>>50222168
It's more that the other people on the table seem to kind of disengage while other people have their 20-minute conversations.
>>
>>50222193
Yeah, a common issue with more than a few players. I'd hate to discourage actual role playing though. Maybe find a way to engage those left out, a tiny little adventure or just playing cards with an NPC? Preferably something more about decisions than rolling, but I guess it depends on the player.
>>
I am in the same boat. After coming from a group where no one roleplayed I was really happy to see people really get into it, and love how they are enjoying the entire process. However as a GM it does get a little boring, and I always accomplish less in a session that I typically want to. I deal with it as the group as a whole loves it, and that is what is important.
>>
>>50222193
>the other people on the table seem to kind of disengage while other people have their 20-minute conversations

Well, I sort of disengage during 20 minute combats, which are far more common. Not everyone is going to find every moment of the game equally interesting. I wouldn't worry as long as those players are equally engaged at other times.
>>
>>50222147
That's not a problem at all.

Fuck dungeon delving. If your players are having fun just immersing themselves into the role of their character and conversing about the setting and the plot you're writing, that's a GOOD thing. It means they care about the game, it means they're happy, and it means you have less work to do. You've literally hit the endgame of GMing. Learn to enjoy spectating.
>>
>>50222147
Set up Facebook chats or group me or whatever and have them do their roleplay chats between sessions.
>>
>>50222147
You could have things happen while they talk.

Like, say, some hostile people sneaking up on the party to spy on them and learn some things to set up an ambush. Or a scout, trying to gather information to attack the party and take them prisoners with the band of soldiers that he is working for.

This >>50223814 is also a pretty good solution to be honest. If people are getting distracted when two players take up the scene for 20 minutes, you will probably have to set up a way for them to RP it out, without taking too much time from the others. It's like roleplaying sex, without the whole awkward situation: except it wouldn't make people awkward, just bored.
>>
>>50222147
Sounds a very good group to me and if they're having fun, it seems really great.
I'm not entirely sure on what is your problem here >>50222193 , though.
Is it that only some of your players engage in the conversations at all, or that while they all like it when it's their turn, they want to have private conversation scenes among two players at a time and the others are left out meanwhile?
I'm guessing for the latter; if so, just set some different spots in the room for two or three people at a time to go and chat so while some players are having their scene the others may have their own or do something else.
>>
>>50222147
while I can see how thats a problem OP, its an alright problem to have. :D
>>
>>50222147
This is a situation in which you want to bring some NPCs with the party.

Someone to watch the horses while they go dungeon crawling, a wandering poet writing down the party's exploits, etc.

This also leads into solving >>50222193 here- You can use your NPCs to give the other players a hook into the conversation.
>>
>>50224590
To improve on this, some suggestions:

>If your party has a knight, give them a squire
>Give the wizard an apprentice
>If the party brings back tons of loot, convince them to hire a cart and some guards for it
>Remind the PCs that leaving their horses unguarded while they spend hours to days in a dank dungeon is a bad idea

Or various other NPCs who don't actually bring a lot to the table in the way of abilities, but give the PCs a sense of being a big deal, and adding some life to the party's campsites.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.