[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any settings/novels where humanity is extinct and the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

Are there any settings/novels where humanity is extinct and the other fantasy races are prominent? Maybe not even extinct, but in such decline and scattered that the 'common' races of the world will likely never encounter a human, and build folklore from the brother's friend's cousin's broodling encounter.

>humanity, once sprawling the entire world, is now gone, leaving only their ruined structures
>the feral races, in the absence of humans, have begun to advance and rediscover human technology
>they interrogate what could have happened to the long extinct humans the elders describe as mammoth, brilliant, fast, and horrible

No furry shit. Just 'humans fucked up/lost', and gnolls/trolls/undeath/psychic snails/etc are now inhabiting all former human cities.
>>
Dunno about fantasy settings, but Fragged Empire is one. Humanity went extinct due to genetic erosion. You play as one of four artificially created races, developed either by the Archons (humanity's heirs) or the monstrous X'ion (itself a creation of the Archons).

But actual fantasy settings? I can't for the life of me think of one. Humans seem to be so critical to fantasy settings that omitting them seems like one of the higher heresies. Which sucks because I'd be interested in seeing something like that.
>>
>>50216433
>Relating to Pic
Dark Sun.
>>
The Dragon Never Sleeps
>>
>>50216433

I don't think there are too many settings where this is a thing but it's certainly an idea that I enjoy.

For my own perpuses I've been trying to imagine a setting where humanity was dying and relied on a race of bio-mechanical beings to take care of billions of frozen embryos with a ship crashing on a habitable planet and the caretaker beings emulating humans they learned from the massive archieves as a way of mourning.
>>
Talislanta.

Implied in the lore that all of the weird races are the creation of magical experimentation by nothumans.
>>
Also not a fantasy setting but there's also Engine Heart, where you play as robots in a post-human world.

I do recall there being a fantasy setting where the population of humans was stated to be a little over a hundred after some Great War that nearly destroyed them, but I can't for the life of me remember the name.
>>
>>50217299
Isn't that a setting where humans never existed in the first place though?
>>
Adventure Time.
>>
>>50216433
>No furry shit
Too bad, Albedo had nice political cold war sci-fi about various furry experiments started by the apparently now extinct humans and left to their own devices in a remote sector of space. Really nice gunfight mechanics, too.

>>50216754
One major issue is that, until we meet aliens, every intelligent race will be extrapolated from a human template. Elfves are arrogant humans with pointed ears,... Selected human traits.
It makes sense to do it in a post-apoc or sci-fi setting that's supposed to reflect on the current state of humanity, and to draw a line between the old and the new world.
But in a fantasy setting? It means you'll have to put efforts in every race instead of letting one be a blank state perfect for self-insert. And there aren't a lot of fantasy stories that can't be told with humans.

And some publisher are probably afraid of a non-human setting bombing.
>>
MtG Lorwyn

Technically, Elder Scrolls. Everybody is basically a Mer/elf offshoot and doesn't really know it.

People make the "lol Redguards aren't people" joke because they're black, but ironically they're probably the most pure-human of the bunch.
>>
>>50216433
I am Legend (no, not the movie). I'm not sure I can describe it well without giving away a tremendous amount of the plot, but it's great and you should read it.

Adventure Time. Nuclear holocaust unleashed destroys almost all of humanity, creates an explosion of strange sentient races, and empties the Earth in a way that lets magic and magical creatures fill the vacuum of 'normal' life on the planet. The show's very hit-and-miss, but the concepts the setting is built on are rad.
>>
This might interest you. Ongoing series without much out yet though.
https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=122025
>>
>>50221519
>Technically, Elder Scrolls. Everybody is basically a Mer/elf offshoot and doesn't really know it.
Que?
>>
>>50221716
Elves were the first race, everything else "evolved" from them. Dark Sun has a similar concept, most humanoid races came from Halflings that used biomancy to create them them.
>>
Anyone remember that Orc-world setting /tg/ once made?

Humans died of plague, dorfs holed themselves up in their mountain strongholds and elves migrated to the moon or possibly another universe.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.