[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Say, /tg/, we're always talking about DnD 3.x's and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1465749262072.jpg (320KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
1465749262072.jpg
320KB, 500x572px
Say, /tg/, we're always talking about DnD 3.x's and Pathfinder's many problems, but I pesonally don't see nearly as much complaining about 5th Edition. What criticisms and complaints do you have in regards to 5e? Aside from those that are applied to DnD in general Is it too simple? Not enough significant splats? Combat too dumbed down, ect.?
>>
>>50211971
>Combat too dumbed down

This is the big one for me. The book, 80% of the classes, basically anything but rituals (and even then, even some rituals, like Find Familiar) is about combat... but I'm bored by it.

Also, I think the scaling is a bit too low, and this limits the possible power of skills too much.
>>
>>50211971
Combat Stealth doesn't work. It's a big gaping black hole in the system.

People expect to hide to get advantage on their attacks, but by default that's only the benefit from making unseen attacks. Since you have to already be unseen to attempt to hide, the only benefit is forcing attackers to guess where you are. And since making attacks from stealth exposes your location, you don't even get that benefit. There are some tricks that let you get back to the "expected" functioning of the Hide action: Wood Elves, Lightfoot Halflings, the Skulker Feat. Without those there's no point in using cunning action to hide.
>>
>>50211971
I really wish there was a more codified method to create/advance/modify NPCs and monsters. The monster creation rules in the DMG give values that are wildly different than what you see in the Monster Manual for stuff of similar CR.

That was the single biggest thing I miss about 3.5/PF. Advancing NPCs/monsters by adding either hit dice or class levels was clear as day. Maybe figuring out the new CR wasn't quite as clear, but it was easier than 5e. 5e you either use what is in the books or just eyeball it.
>>
It fixed 3.5's problem of power gaming by making everything rely on the dice.

It is like fixing a head gasket by replacing the engine.
>>
>>50212100
>The monster creation rules in the DMG give values that are wildly different than what you see in the Monster Manual for stuff of similar CR.
I've gone through a ton of them and no, it's actually not. They're generally really close, within a single CR step of their calculated CR.
>>
File: 1395362693732.gif (3MB, 230x261px) Image search: [Google]
1395362693732.gif
3MB, 230x261px
>>50211971
Two things I can think of:

1. Every stat having a saving throw. This wouldn't be a problem if not for the fact that any stat you don't have proficiency in or at least +2 modifier to has such a large chance to fail, except paladin which gets a whopping CHA modifier to all savings throws. Not much of an issue at lower levels obviously, but later levels when the DM decides to make the DCs uber high, only a crit can save some characters.

2. We have perfectly good gish classes like Valor Bard and whatnot, yet Warlock gets so heavily shafted when it comes to pact of the blade. Not even proficiency with martial weapons, just ONE SINGLE WEAPON. No medium armor, no shields, fuckall. Nothing interesting flavor wise either or anything that actually complements their casting.

And yet people insist that it's not supposed to be the Warlock's "main subclass". Bitch not onyl does the bladelock have to pay out in invocations to use so much as a second attack but they get neither the level of casting or fighting of eldritch fighter or Bard get with their classes by default (because warlock spells slots and spells known aren't jack if you can't take a short rest...like my DM forgets exists outside of fuck your long rest).
>>
>>50212134
>Not even proficiency with martial weapons, just ONE SINGLE WEAPON. No medium armor, no shields, fuckall. Nothing interesting flavor wise either or anything that actually complements their casting.

Medium armor and martial weapon proficiency don't particularly help the Bladelock. With a dex focus, Armor of Shadows yields a superior AC, and wielding a weapon other than your Pact Blade is a mistake (and you're always proficient with your pact blade so...). While you might get better AC with a shield, you also couldn't cast somatic spells (nor could you while dual-wielding).
>>
>>50212376
>you also couldn't cast somatic spells (nor could you while dual-wielding).
That's why War Caster is a gift from God. Also UA gave us some dagger feat that lets you use somatic spells with one in your hand but it's seriously overshadowed by War Caster
>>
>>50211971
There's a dead zone between the early levels where your character can be fucked over by rats and the later levels where you start meeting things with insta-death attacks or massive massive hitpoint attacks, roughly levels 5-10.

In this deadzone you are essentially mostly indestructible, nothing much can reduce you far enough into minus in an attack to kill you and it's way too easy to stabilise/lay on hands/cure you back into the fight. That dead zone has huge problems with combat damage simply not being terribly scary, particularly when combined with the periodic healing you get from hit dice at short rests.

You end up with utterly retarded fights like the film version of the battle for helm's deep, where Gimli is soloing an entire bridge of Uruk-Hai who for some reason are simply standing round him and failing to hit this tiny fat fuck while he happily kills them one at a time. This isn't helped by them having crap AC modifiers in these middle levels too, about the only thing that stacks up well is creatures that get advantage for pack attacks.
>>
>>50212025
You can also sneak attack (without need for stealth or advantage) if the target has another enemy with 5 feet of them.
>>
>>50212461
>Also UA gave us some dagger feat that lets you use somatic spells with one in your hand
That's probably some homebrew, there's no such feat in the UA released so far.
>>
>>50212805
Woah, guess you're right. I could have sworn it existed alongside those weapons feats.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.