[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So how much does it strain disbelief to have a city with relatively

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6

File: Scrap city sci-fi.jpg (62KB, 564x645px) Image search: [Google]
Scrap city sci-fi.jpg
62KB, 564x645px
So how much does it strain disbelief to have a city with relatively advanced technology, like flying cars, have everything be built and repaired by hand from old junk and other technologies? Like everything is hand me down scrap but works alright.
>>
File: dieselpunk_cars_by_ryanlovelock.jpg (283KB, 900x1150px) Image search: [Google]
dieselpunk_cars_by_ryanlovelock.jpg
283KB, 900x1150px
>>50205176
It doesn't strain anything if you aren't autistic
>>
So.... cuba with hovercars?
>>
Well, they're not building the hover engines from scratch. The societies that they are scavenging from have access to factories and stuff, but the scrap city is just maintaining the junk from the more advanced cities
>>
>>50205222

Nice git and thanks for the pic, even if your actual post was pretty worthless/edgy.

>>50205226

Hey, that's a good way to put it.
>>
>>50205296

OP I don't see why people doing the best they can with what they have is straining belief.

I actually kinda like it. Cool pic btw.
>>
Depends on the players.

For many players, what matters is that the setting is consistent, not "realistic". You can make such a setting consistent if you put enough thought into it.

My first thought of how to do it would be to say that, while factories producing this new stuff exist, that are a long distance over there in a rich part of the setting. The players are over here in a poorer area, where most stuff has gone through multiple owners before it got here.
>>
File: techno nomad.jpg (324KB, 1000x781px) Image search: [Google]
techno nomad.jpg
324KB, 1000x781px
It's worth exactly 3 strain.

Seriously, if it's the equivalent of your planet's Third World or under sanctions from another country, there's nothing to strain. It sounds like a great way to insert social and political subjects into the game. Have the people living there been scavengers for a long time? Is it just a phase after a disaster, or is reverse engineering a core part of their culture? Where do the engineers come from, and do they represent a privileged or underprivileged class? Does the society that made the original products still exist and is it active economically? Did the products come from somewhere else like a robot "ecosystem" or a crashed UFO? How does a society where everything revolves around technology react to a lazy person or a vagrant, eg most player characters?
>>
File: KhadSajuuk.jpg (51KB, 620x359px) Image search: [Google]
KhadSajuuk.jpg
51KB, 620x359px
>>50205324

Sorry to derail but kiith Gaalsien is that you in that pic?
>>
>>50205176
So, something like Septerra Core's Shell 2?
>>
>>50205176
Just another day in the ninth world.
>>
File: babiru_18_by_babiru-d7b43j1.jpg (452KB, 584x1200px) Image search: [Google]
babiru_18_by_babiru-d7b43j1.jpg
452KB, 584x1200px
>>50205176

It wouldn't nor should it. I mean, you can look at some cities in the world where you walk part of the street and you see ultra modern buildings and aesthetics and then go a couple blocks down and everything is tin roofs and utility poles with way to many cables attached to them
>>
>>50205176
Not at all. See: the real world.

Maybe hovercars and other advanced tech are rugged and commonplace enough, some found their way to the 3rd world and the locals are using them and maintaining them as best as they can, even though they lack the infrastructure to build them and professional repair facilities.

Still, just having fancy trucks won't magically turn favelas into crystal towers.
>>
File: LjfkHVq[1].jpg (133KB, 1280x802px) Image search: [Google]
LjfkHVq[1].jpg
133KB, 1280x802px
>>50206005
Forgot pic, fug
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.