[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: No more of Sheila's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 370
Thread images: 32

File: Sheila.jpg (13KB, 319x240px) Image search: [Google]
Sheila.jpg
13KB, 319x240px
Volo's Guide to Monsters in the trove. Be sure to buy it and support the hobby even if you download it!

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previously on /5eg/... >>50194146

We will not be seeing anymore of Sheila's knickers, because she was horrified by how awful the last thread was. So remember, be civil. Also, if it's obvious that a consensus can't be reached in your discussion, please stop discussing, rather than calling each other fags for 20 more posts.

What's the most beautiful thing you ever did for a fellow party member (or one of your players)?
>>
>>50201440
>What's the most beautiful thing you ever did for a fellow party member (or one of your players)?
Self-sacrificial wish cast. Wasn't in vain.
>>
>>50201440
What happened last thread that was so awful. Don't want to read through 400+ posts.
>>
>>50201440
>What's the most beautiful thing you ever did for a fellow party member (or one of your players)?
Sheila showed me her knickers. Her invisible knickers.
>>
>>50201440
>No more of Sheila's knickers edition
Disappointed
>>
>>50201505
Nothing.
/tg/ residents are among the thinnest skinned, most sensitive people on the site for whatever reason.
>>
Like I said in the last thread, is anyone interested in a nigger rigged, level 15, one-shot session with me and a friend?
>>
>>50201440
I think the most beautiful thing I ever did for another party member was let them diplomacy.

>Group has Barbarian (me), Cleric, Bard, Sorcerer, and a fighter that left after session one.
>This group was new, most this was their first game
>We do a standard dungeon, kill kobolds, make players feel bad because I brought up philosophical debate about their rights to life (High wis barbarian, why not)
>Continue in dungeon, kill more things
>Finish and loot place
>Go surface side and talk to inn keeper who hired us
>Bard tries to score us a better deal
>Halfling fighter player cuts off bard player and starts threatening the inn keeper ("intimidation always works")
>I drag fighter away and threaten to rough him up (IC) if he interrupts Small Man again (I played huge barbarian and the human bard was short and skinny, we had a friendship of respect because he entertained my philosophical musings)
>Bard resumes negotiations and gets us free room and board along with guaranteed plot hooks
>Bard played is super stoked that he got to use diplomacy and succeeded and did something for the party
>>
>>50201533
That just makes it more intriguing.
>>
>>50201505
A severe case of too many MMOs and let's leave it at that.
>>
>>50201559
What the fuck does that even mean?
>>
>>50201440
Nothing. My players are all dicks. The most I've done is take the brunt of a hydras attacks as a rogue so it wouldn't go for the others because the fighter wasn't there that week. Everyone just laughed when I went down
>>
>>50201567
It was a debate over the validity of tank fighters and how best to use them as tanks; one side said AC heavy, other said interrupt heavy. Some other things, of course, but minor.
>>
>>50201567
>babby drama is interesting
Not now and not ever.

Reminder - if arguing triggers you, don't argue, because the people who love arguing are gonna enjoy every moment of your irrational butthurt.
>>
>>50201580
>>50201559

I guess I worded this wrong, let me go through it.

It's a Friday night and I'm bored as fuck, so I decided to craft up a one-shot D&D session on the fly. Nothing too shabby, just something to pass the time with. I manage to convince a friend and I kinda don't want to DM a one-party session. So, I figured I'd ask if anybody was interested in joining a game with us over Discord voice chat.
>>
>>50201505
Two shitstorms:
>there should be penalties for sleeping in armor
>enemies shouldn't attack targets in armor
>>
>>50201584
>not kiting the hydra
It has 30 ft move bruh.
>>
>>50201566
Letting other players shine is the best, doubly so with new players. Good work anon.
>>
I was wanting to make a Cleric of Hextor.

Any interesting ideas on how to play him?
>>
File: 1474779061568.jpg (438KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1474779061568.jpg
438KB, 1600x900px
>>50201635

>there should be penalties for sleeping in armor

Something kind of like this actually led to me leaving my out of the abyss campaign. When we got to the duergar city and its inn I offered to sleep on a bedroll on the floor or something so someone else could take the bed - it wouldn't be that much of a difference from my character sleeping in full plate on the ground while traveling through the Underdark and with a few notable exceptions she was almost comically self-sacrificing.

The DM took exception to that and said that sleeping in full plate wasn't okay, I would take one level of exhaustion if I did that anymore.

We got into an argument and then I joked about random things giving you one level of exhaustion so much that he got pissed off.

In retrospect it wasn't that big of a deal, if I stripped out of some of the heavier components of the armor my AC logically wouldn't go all the way down to 10+dex, and in the event that we needed to get out of there it wouldn't take me the entire ten minutes or however long it takes to put everything back on. It's just that all of our past disagreements and me apparently being a 'problem player' hit the boiling point and he told me that he hated the shit out of me, so I just left the game.
>>
File: 1401468362420.gif (499KB, 200x126px) Image search: [Google]
1401468362420.gif
499KB, 200x126px
How do you other DMs determine what targets your monsters attack? I try to explain why they get attacked with the fluff like "The kobold is now enraged because of your attempt at hitting it, scraping its armor and it returns your hits". The creatures Int can come into play or if its a monster that is known for combat tactics like an Orc or Bandits for being sneaky and they might go for the backline if they can. What do you guys think? Whats your thought process?
>>
>>50201784
Your DM was a faggot. Just carrying around all that extra weight and expense is hassle enough for heavy armor PCs, and nothing good ever comes of "lol get naked now and remember it'll take you minutes to get dressed again :D :D :D"
>>
File: 1466827495209.jpg (424KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1466827495209.jpg
424KB, 900x900px
>>50201785
Depends entirely on the creatures. Their knowledge, tendencies, histories, mindsets, etc.

*Do whatever they would do*, and keep in mind that *they are not you*.
>>
I like 4e and wish 5e was more like it
>>
>>50201440

Couple weeks ago. I'm rolling with a four elements monk and we're fighting a bunch of fire-themed enemies under the command of some really nasty fire giants. The party bard goes down, after tanking for several rounds as a polymorphed T-Rex. Poor bard gets healed, but is sitting at single digit HP. I've only got a handful of HP myself, but I figured I had a better shot of surviving than he did. I stand over his downed body (he's doing his best dead impression) and do a little Bruce Lee pose, then I take the dodge action and tell them to come at me!
>>
>>50201872
Just go play 4e, then.
>>
>>50201875

and then a fireball killed both of you?
>>
>>50201765
Preferably in an evil campaign and with the consent of the other players and the DM. Being a cleric of LE can go downhill fast.

Assuming your character is okay, try being absolutely brutal in the law and pushing for as much war and bloodshed you can get while not breaking the law. Think Hammurabi's code and gladly fulfilling it because your god would want to.

>>50201785
It depends on the monsters. Ghouls? They're individualistic and try to get prey for themselves. Wolves? They'll leave if things turn against them unless cornered. Orcs? They'll have some idea of tactics and will probably target those that go against their plans.

For me the monsters with intellect have some goal, whether holding off a point, waiting for reinforcements, red herring the PCs, or trying to live. I try to play with those secondary tactics in my mind. I like to imagine that they're not telepathic so they might not be the most optimal unless they have a shot caller of some sort.

For lower intellect (animals/kobolds/goblins/etc.) They'll usually revert to self preservation and flee if things turn, unless they're cornered or protecting something dear.
>>
>>50201872
4e general is a thing. Go talk to them.
>>
>>50201872
I hate 4e and am glad 5e isn't like it
>>
>>50201889

No, no fireballs. Plenty of Hell Hound fire breaths, mind, but no fireballs. I managed to survive about six or seven attacks from Hell Hounds and Azers. I didn't do much damage that fight, but I did manage to tank more than I've tanked before.
>>
>>50201907
Edition Wars are dumb, let's drop this entire argument please.
>>
>>50201918
you bitching about it is worse
shut up
>>
>>50201922
Okay anon, you win.
>>
>>50201922
you bitching about bitching about it is worse
shut up
>>
File: wew.png (51KB, 266x80px) Image search: [Google]
wew.png
51KB, 266x80px
>>50201942
how will I ever recover
>>
How do I make a good twf build?
>>
File: BIGB.png (213KB, 291x250px) Image search: [Google]
BIGB.png
213KB, 291x250px
>>50201922
>>
>>50201922
(You) win, we accept defeat. I will now start a new topic since this old one is done.

>Cast goodberry
>Summon eggplant (because eggplants are berries)
>Hatch eggplant into chickpea
>Raise into cockumbertrice
>Now have army of plants creatures
>Eat one to restore 1 hp and not be hungry for an entire day
>>
File: 1468100474839.jpg (163KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
1468100474839.jpg
163KB, 500x376px
>>50201960
>>
>>50201969
That's gay and doesn't work
You might be gay
>>
>>50201440
Whats the difference between a forest gnome and rock gnome lore wise

ib4 once lives in a forest and the other in a hill
>>
>>50201974
You need to learn your biology, son. Eggs hatch into chicks and grow up into hens and cocks. So it only makes sense that eggPLANTS grow in this way.
>>
>>50201954
Get two defenders - you can get +6 to AC every round.
>>
When did /pfg/ infect these threads?
>>
>>50201986
you're a gazebo
>>
>>50201891
He's also a Goliath, and we're currently in a Curse of Strahd campaign, if that helps.

I'm not sure of the Laws in Barovia, but I was definitely going to have him follow a "code" of some sort, be it his or his sects, but I haven't quite came up with it.

I was going to play him with very little pity for the weak, both being a Goliath and a Hextorian. I was going to focus more on the War domain for Hextor, him taking every enemy as a personal challenge to himself, to prove himself to Hextor. If he dies, it's Hextor's will. If he lives, it's a new opportunity to prove that he is worthy of Hextor's blessing. I"m not going to go out of my way to have him be evil, but if the orphanage is burning down, he's probably not going to give a shit unless he's told there is a big bad inside or something.
>>
>>50201992
When Volo's Guide to Monsters got scanned and put in the MEGA.
>>
>cleared out Grudd Haug at level 5 by executing some hobgoblin guards with maximum stealth
>then more or less ran screaming straight at Queen Guh while everything crawled out of the woodwork to beat us up
>half the party fell over by the end of it
At least we rescued this fucking halfling.
>>
>>50201997
That sounds like a grand way of playing him. How are you going to build him, though? Fully offensive?
>>
>>50202033
Pretty much. With the Goliath racial, I also took heavy armor master and war caster. He has a 19 Str, so with guided strike that versatile warhammer will hurt. Then the War domain cleric spells help even more, Divine Favor is going to get popped a lot, along with spirit/magic weapon.

I also have him with a few healing spells, but we have a second cleric to focus on healing.
>>
I'm going to be DMing a game for the first time on sunday for a few friends. I'm new to these sorts of games in general so I'll be running the Lost Mine of Phandelver precon. The players have all played many more games than I have, so I went ahead and asked one if he thought they would be bored by such a simple starter adventure. He told me, "Oh don't worry, we'll make it interesting."

When I probed him further, he said that he and one of the other players (4 total) love killing friendly NPCs just to make the game harder for the DM. I know these guys like to be memey contrarian dicks so I believe him wholeheartedly.

My concern is that I'm a complete noob when it comes to this, and I'm pretty sure if I try to railroad them or otherwise get them to play nice with the story they'll get pissed that I'm "restricting their fun," or that they're making some grand sacrifice for my sake.

I wish my first game was with other new players so that we could all learn together, but right now I'm at a loss as what to provide them a good time within the limits of my ability.

I was considering running Storm King's Thunder instead, hoping something a bit meatier might keep their attention away from trying to mess with me.
>>
>>50202113
Sounds unfun unless you're planning on a joke campaign.
>>
>>50202113
Also I've never even played as a player. This will be my first time with D&D.
>>
>>50202153
Don't DM then. It will probably be a bad experience and will push you off TRPGs.
Play first, DM later.
>>
Is making a future battle master with dueling fighting style and shield master feat build any good or is the pole arm battle master just superior?
>>
>>50202168
I already made that commitment, however, I can't just blow them off.
>>
>>50202192
Fuck that. We play these games for fucking fun - tell them you've changed your mind.

They can do something else with their time.
>>
>>50202113
wow, your friends sound absolutely terrible

they're definitely just using you so they get to play. Forcing their completely new, first time player friend to GM? I know players like them, it will be miserable for you.

Tell them to fuck off. You will not have fun in any way. If they're bragging about "making it harder for the GM" then they are complete assclowns and you should not associate with them

>>50202192
Stop being a pussy, you absolutely can

pushover beta bitch. Your shitty friends are using you
>>
>>50202192
Then don't. But don't doubt yourself. If you suck, you suck. What will be, will be.

Don't fret over things you can't control.
>>
>>50202188
>is the pole arm battle master just superior?
I don't understand this meme.
A poleweapon master fighter is literally a worse monk that can't even scale off dex
>>
>>50202110
damn man im playing a firbolg cleric of tempus soon which is gonna be almost exactly the same. im gonna multiclass fighter up to 2 for action surge then eventually 5 for dual attack.
>>
>>50202204
>>50202209
>>50202246

I've been friends with these people for years, I can't just tell them to fuck off. Besides, I was the one who offered, I was just unaware how experience they all were.

>>50202233
I'm going to run it and play it by ear. My greatest fears are that A.) the other two players get bored or B.) The two memers start fucking with me directly and I get mad and leave.
>>
>>50202272
I've been with my friends all my life - if I don't want to engage in a *leisure* activity with them because I will gain no leisure from it I tell them "no". It's that simple.
>>
>>50202188
You'll have good AC and fine damage. The free shoves will be nice for conserving your superiority dice.

Polearm gets another attack or two to use maneuvers on, and reach.
>>
>>50201440
Just going through the DMG for the first time. How many encounters of each difficulty is a party supposed to be able to handle in a day?
>>
>>50202272
Whenever they randomly kill a key NPC, reveal it to be a doppelganger, then have the real NPC show up and thank them and continue along. If they kill the 'real' NPC, repeat.

Eventually they'll get the hint to stop fucking around
>>
>>50202324
A party can handle 6-8 medium to hard encounters in a day. More if they're easier and if they get fewer short rests, fewer if they're harder and they can't rest as often.
>>
>>50202330
I think I'll steal this idea, thank you.
>>
>>50202334
Try like 4. 6 to 8 means constant short rests.
>>
Hey guys! Check out episode 3 if you are bored and want to support some 5e content.

Made a ton of improvements over the first two episodes, and looking for suggestions on what we can improve for listeners.

http://bardsandnobles.com/episode/e3-dead-in-the-water/
>>
>>50202334
So, if you're aiming to have them tuckered out after 3-5, should you be using mostly hard and deadly encounters?
>>
>>50202363
Everyone's going to be out of resources by like 4, even in normal fights.
>>
>>50201494
Did he use it to create a race of lesbian catgirls?
>>
>>50202363
Medium should be fine for that. Avoid single-monster encounters unless there's legendary actions.

8 encounters will push the party to its limits.
>>
>>50202381
Then how are they managing 6-8 fights if they're out of abilities and healing after 4?
>>
>>50202192
Honestly your group doesn't sound fun to play with, I'd just find some combat-oriented one shots without a lot of social encounters.
>>
>>50202408
Yes.
>>
>>50202417
I'm not sure how they came up with that number myself. I guess they're counting champion fighters extra?
>>
>>50202417
Lots of stuff key off of short rests.
>>
>DM houserules that short rests take 8 hours and long rests take a full day

Should I cave his skull in with my bag of metal dice?
>>
>>50202453
Yes. Also tell him he's a shit DM because he can't deal with player abilities. He's doing this pretty much solely to fuck over a "select" number of classes
>>
>>50202272
That is not how real friendship work anon. Don't get hold up as abusive relashionship hostage by these so-called "friends".
>>
>>50202261
I'm not sure about multiclassing for me. From what my DM has read Curse of Strahd only runs to level 10, which means multiclassing could gimp me if I fuck up.

Action surge would be nice though. I was also thinking about Barbarian to get some crazy tanky dps going.
>>
>>50202408
no! bad /pfg/! bad!!
>>
Is a STR based ranger a good idea?
>>
>>50202453
Depends. That is close to the optional 'gritty' long rest variant in the DMG, save that long rests in that one take a full week of downtime.

So I would say no, so long as he's adjusting encounters to account for the less frequent short rests. If he tosses 2 encounters at you on the road to the dungeon, lets you sleep the night, and then has 3 or 4 more inside, it's fine.

If he expects you to fight the standard 6-9 encounters each day with no resources, you should use a less conspicuous weapon like a lead pipe. More lethal, less easily pinned on you.
>>
>>50202498
Retarded idea. Go dex, never look back.
>>
>>50202272
it is also within your DM power to buff up NPC. whether it from divine protection or dumb luck (just BS the reason).

Make all NPC a level 18 Archwizard or something and reveal at the end that your campaign happen in a Wizard mind, and all of them are just his imagination.
>>
>>50202498
No, but that's more due to Ranger not being a very good idea.

Seriously though, Ranger is best when focused on Archery or two-weapon fighting, and doesn't get heavy armor. It can work, but it's much better to go dex.
>>
>>50202498
It's okay. Go polearm master.
>>
>>50202524
What about revised ranger?
>>
>>50202510
>long rests in that one take a full week of downtime.
What a way to nerf wizards.
>>
>>50202514
>>50202498
>>50202524
>>50202537
>>50202531
How about a Half-orc ranger? Would that be a good STR based ranger build?
>>
>>50202537
More doable. Best method I could see would be getting 16 strength, 14 dex, and 14 wis and going for medium armor. You'd probably want to use a polearm or a two-hander so you actually get some benefit out of it.

Rangers really don't have much incentive to go for strength.
>>
>>50201785
It's a complex process involving lines of sight, knowledge of their adversaries, what happened recently, what they want to accomplish, and sometimes
>Stop, Harlock, you're under arrest.
>>It's Har-BROOK!
That works too.
>>
>>50201872
I also like 5e and wish 4e was more like it. Different things from each, obviously.
>>
So I was looking at >>50194065 and I'm wondering if anyone ever took the time to update it to 5e. I know 5e isn't as much of a clusterfuck as 3.5 used to be but it'd be neat to have a vaguely compatible condensed ruleset to use.
>>
>>50201785
Dumb monsters ie golems attack whatevers closest

Orcs have a preference for attacking fighters/martials, because killing/death in combat versus of other martials is seen as more glorious in the eyes of gruumsh. Also have them single out elves due to race hatred.

Generic shit like that. Smart bad guys act smart, dumb bad guys act dumb. bandits run away, cultists don't. I like to use racial hatreds, goblins and kobolds are cowardly and flee if it looks bad. basic shit so i just don't find myself doing optimal shit all the time and turning DnD into a wargame..
>>
>>50201785
Based off mental stats.
Int: How aware a monster is about things such as player skills, classes and how they function.
Wis: How aware they might be if an enemy far away is doing something such as concentrating on an important spell.
Cha: Co-ordination, especially good for a leader monster.
>>
>>50202543
It's not even really a nerf to Wizards or casters in general. Remember that even the short rest classes will need to take a long rest to get any spent Hit Dice back, meaning they will need to take a week off for their health eventually.

The only class that majorly benefits is champion, since they can effectively go forever at high levels with their regen.

That said, I see it as less of a nerf/buff thing and more of a way to fine-tune the pacing of your game. If you're running a more city/intrigue based game, or something where the players will probably only have one or two fights a day, this lets you set up an adventure to take place over the course of multiple days and still have everything work in terms of spells and hitpoints.

It does have the effect of making some spells much less useful, such as mage armor and other hour+ long effects that are intended to last all day or for multiple encounters but instead will usually only take up one, but it's not like that hurts casters too majorly.
>>
>>50202603
> Necromancer BBEG can't keep their undead army in control
> His undead kill him before the party even learn about him
>>
>>50202498
Why?

Just.. Why?
What is the point?
You do not get heavy armour.
You do not get additional feats (feats are the main reason to use strength-based weapons).

Barbarians can use strength for reckless attack and rage damage. They don't get heavy armour, but unless they're a dex barbarian they probably don't give much of a shit about their AC. 13 strength is also in their multiclass requirement, and barbarians are good multiclassers somewhat.
Fighters can use strength because using a big weapon actually matters when you attack 3-5 times. They also get heavy armour.
Paladins can use strength because PAM is wonderful on them. They also get heavy armour, and need 13 strength to multiclass.
Only other reason you'd want strength is for grapples.

Rangers aren't grapplers, they don't get extraodinary numbers of attacks usually, they don't have any awfully great synergy with stuff stuch as PAM or GWM. Heck, rangers even get a fighting style which is pretty much 'you get +2 to hit with ranged weapons', why don't you want that?

Dex is just so much better, even barbarians/paladins/fighters can use it.
>>
>>50202324
It varies from level to level. There's a couple tables in the encounter section that clarify it, and you can look over at the XP for CR if you want to translate that into enemy groups as encounters. That will also vary by level.

Overall it's about 4 to 6 if you don't use any easy encounters and you do let them get short rests to heal. 3 or 4 if all the encounters are hard, and 3 or less if they're all deadly. Lastly, an encounter's difficulty is also adjusted by the circumstances of the encounter, like favorable terrain or surprise.
>>
>>50202427
Medium encounters used to be any thing up to the medium XP value. Hard encounters were anything up to the Hard XP value. Now that they're anything *over* those values, the sentence should correctly read "6 to 8 easy to medium encounters."
>>
>>50202658
Not that guy, but personally I love the idea of a greatsword ranger thanks to guild wars 2.
>>
> be a druid
> polymorph someone into a half-dragon mammoth

Can I wildshape into half-dragon mammoth myself now? Since I already seen it.
>>
>>50202488
Rage dosn't work with heavy armor, and even if it did, it dosn't work with concentration either.
>>
>>50202683
Just play a fighter.

I mean, fighters are like rangers but not bad.
>>
>>50202580
A quick Google of "microlite 5e" shows some projects, like this: https://grimportents.wordpress.com/2015/01/07/microlite5e-a-trim-hack-of-5e-thats-backwards-compatible/
>>
>>50202569
Melee combat is a ton more fun with high strength. I like breaking things.
>>
Which monsters have you guys used and how did you use them?
>>
>>50202658
I don't doubt DEX is the way to go but since I been reading up on rangers, there was a STR base build.

>>50202531 gave me the inspiration to make pic related so let me know what you think of a Outlander Human Variant Beast Master with the Polearm feat. He'll have a boar as his companion.

Does the pole arm feat cover spears?
>>
>>50201440
How do the Adventurer's League adventures tie into the main books?

Like how I see there are Curse of Strahd AL adventures.
>>
Anyone have an idea for a cool catchphrase I could say when my barbarian rages? Something like "I would like to rage" (stolen from critical role)... Sounds lame, but I think it could be fun :)
>>
>>50201785
squad competent in small scale skirmishes? gank the fucking mage because given room they will fuck the shit up
beastial? kill what is the seemingly largest threat, gang up on that fucker because they need to die quick
in between is up to my whim, maybe there is a commander that co-ordinates the troops in the unit and maybe the troops get a bit lost if their commander isn't overseeing things, maybe not

the damn monsters are my npcs dammit, screw those evil players for always meddling in my plans for total world domination
>>
>>50202782
"DIE! DIE! DIE!" can also work anon
>>
I don't know why all the OP pics are the cartoon lately, but I like it
>>
File: I'm fine.jpg (44KB, 640x674px) Image search: [Google]
I'm fine.jpg
44KB, 640x674px
So where is the Mystic UA?
Wasn't it promised as the next one?
Why did we get barbarian stuff instead?
>>
File: 5e grid.png (4KB, 447x250px) Image search: [Google]
5e grid.png
4KB, 447x250px
How do you deal with LOS and cover?

I'm a new DM and recently started using a grid. My players just hit up the Redbrands at Tresendar Manor, which had a lot of choke points so usually the fighter would choke up the door while everyone would plink away from the back.

I don't think this is particularly overpowered, but I'm not sure how to deal with this. Right now I'm ruling that the Rogue has line of sight on the two enemies, but I'm not sure what level of cover they should have. Half cover? 3/4 cover since the rogue has to shoot between the wall and the fighter?

Grey is a solid wall, F is fighter, red Es are enemies, and the R is the rogue.
>>
>>50202805
It's coming before the end of the year. It was never actually promised as "the next" UA, just that it would be released soon--and now we're getting a UA every week for a few months. The Mystic v3 will be among them at some point.
>>
>>50202700
Aw fuck, I didn't think about that. Welp, looks if I do multiclass fighter is it.
>>
>>50202729
What exactly about ranger do you want? The class name, or is there actually some features you want from it?
Oh, if you want a companion, then.. I don't really know what to say. If it's PHB beast master, just give up and an hero immediately. If it's the UA one, I suppose it's something.

By RAW, spears don't count for pole arm master.

If you're trying to use a shield, there's absolutely no reason to go strength except in very specific cases. Just get a rapier refluffed to a 1d8 spear, though appreciate you can't use PAM with it.

Paladin makes best use of PAM, barbarian is probably a runner-up.
>>
>>50202782
>critical role
>>
File: 5e cover on squares.png (316KB, 524x311px) Image search: [Google]
5e cover on squares.png
316KB, 524x311px
>>50202817
There are rules for line of sight and cover on grids in the DMG.

Draw lines from the closest corner to each of the corners of a targeted ssquare. If one or two are blocked, it has half cover. If three or four of the lines are blocked, the target has 3/4s (and yes, all four can be blocked without having total cover, if there's an arrow slit or something).

As for the fighter and the wall interacting: you only ever apply the most effective cover (not stacking), and a creature gives half-cover.
>>
>>50202782
YMMV but I've always been a fan of "This is gonna get ugly."
>>
http://gamingandbs.com/wizards-coast-gamehole-con-bbs017/

This is a panel that Perkins, Mearls, and Crawford had at Gamehole Con. It's pretty interesting, they're discussing how they developed VGM and other products.

>tar-ask
>>
>DM is mad as fuck at me because paladin rogue assasssin one rounding on surprise
>even though we spent an hour on set up and used half my spells
>calls my character abusive and minmaxing
>character doesn't even use opitmal weapons, skills, scores or armor for rp reasons

Maybe i should dip fighter for action surge and get the lucky feat, show him what minmaxing actually looks like.
>>
>>50202729
No. Look, the only classes that should be using Strength are Barbarians and Fighters. They get the most use out of Strength only weapons.
>>
>>50202890
As opposed to what? Tur-Rusk? Tear-Esk? Too-Risque?
>>
>>50202880
Radical, thank you.
>>
>>50202782
My vengeance paladin recites "Forgive me for this violence I am about to inflict" as his vow of emnity. Could work if you had a somewhat spiritual or disciplined barbarian.
>>
>>50202925
I've always pronounced it "tuh-rask" without a hard stop after the first "tar." It struck me as a bit odd.
>>
>>50202904
A DM should outright disallow the assassin as a possibility if they expect to never ever want a player to do stealthy things.

That said, AT + 2 levels in paladin doesn't sound too bad, on the grounds you can use AT spellslots for smiting.
>>
>>50202925
Tah-rask, maybe?
>>
File: woolie feelin it transparent.png (220KB, 429x429px) Image search: [Google]
woolie feelin it transparent.png
220KB, 429x429px
>>50202890
>NPC appendix was added late in the process for VGM due to DM feedback for liking the NPCs and wanting higher-CR ones
Thank god for Wizards listening to feedback.
>>
>>50202782
Advise nearby women, children, or elves to cover their eyes (regardless of whether or not there are any women, children, or elves around).
>>
>>50202567

You might still be better off going Dex. It will work okay though, most likely.
>>
File: 1475226947717.jpg (21KB, 263x172px) Image search: [Google]
1475226947717.jpg
21KB, 263x172px
>>50201785
Really dumb NPCs just hit whoever's nearest to them with no regard.

Less dumb NPCs swing for the fighters because they're big and scary and look pretty important.

A less dumb NPC with a name and levels in a PC class will probably go into the fight with a plan, but if they start to lose or PCs social them off-balance they'll probably revert to one of the above.

Smart NPCs geek the mage then take cover with overlapping fields of fire to suppress any hostiles that might try to hit their mages back.
>>
Level 5 now as an illusionist, I have:

Shield
Grease
Silent image
Detect magic/identify/illusory script/Tashalaugh

Phantasmal force
Scorching ray
Suggestion
Enlarge reduce

Thinking of picking up fear and fireball. I wanted lightning bolt but it seemed really weak in comparison. The main toss up is do I want fear vs major image at level 5, or just pick it up at 6
>>
>>50202408
that race doesn't seem like it could sustain itself for very long population wise
>>
>>50203139
How do you not have hypnotic pattern?
That shit is godlike.
>>
does anyone else think that the minus 2 in strength for Kobolds is too harsh? or is it just the balance for all the advantage they have the possibility to get?
>>
>>50203204
I've never played before
>>
>>50203212

No, no I don't think having both a -2 in Str and sunlight sensitivity is very good. Their abilities aren't even that great.
>>
>>50203212
The designers went over their design decisions--the stat penalties are more to fit the flavor they wanted for the races than anything else. That -2 Strength is to show that kobolds are fairly pathetic and generally pushovers, the -2 Int for orcs is to show that orcs are less intelligent and more brutish.

They also claim they're still generally balanced, and I'm inclined to agree with that, but in 5e that's not that hard of a mark to hit.
>>
>>50203235
depends on the campaign and if you factor in pack tactics and play smart you can neutralize the disadvantage
that said you still have -2 strength which doesn't help if like you playing rouge
>>
>>50201440
What are some ways to use Sleight of Hand besides "I pickpocket someone" or "I hide a dagger in my pants"? Active uses, things that would be frequently useful and would come up a lot if I remembered to attempt it.
My character has 14 dexterity and I'm trying to choose between Stealth and SoH. My experience with using stealth in the past has left me with the impression that "scouting ahead" is a meme no matter how high you raise your skill with it, and the only thing it's actually good for is escaping rather than infiltrating, almost like it's a saving throw. That's pretty all I'd be doing with stealth if I took it on 14 dex man, sitting on it until I happen to wind up in a situation where I need to run away instead of fight.
So again, what are some good uses for Sleight of Hand? How have you used Sleight of Hand in the past? Even strange fringe cases can be helpful information.
>>
>>50203247
As a house rule I generally ignore Sunlight Sensitivity, it's just so shitty to have.

But I do have blinding effects last longer on chars with it.
>>
>>50202890
>One of the big things we're doing is to integrate our content and DMs Guild with Adventurers League
>>
>>50203273
Bluffed my way inside the local wizard's school with 'magic' tricks.

Reverse pickpocketing someone to plant evidence.

Bullied a young street orphan with 'got your nose!' and refused to give it back until they told us what we wanted to know.
>>
>humans have an average of 4.7 to 5.5 liters/1.2 to 1.5 gallons of blood
>humans are medium creatures
How much blood should be in creatures of each size class, based on this? I'm not too concerned about a creature-by-creature basis, nor creatures who don't have blood.
>>
>>50203273
>What are some ways to use Sleight of Hand besides "I pickpocket someone" or "I hide a dagger in my pants"? Active uses, things that would be frequently useful and would come up a lot if I remembered to attempt it.
Hmmm...*pulls up digital copy of PHB* *ctrl-F* *types sleight of hand*

mmm, ah yes, interesting...hmm...oh that class can do THAT with it huh? That's cool...

To not COMPLETELY shitpost here, "Whenever you attempt an act of legerdemain or manual trickery..."
So do something involving manual trickery/dexterity. Juggle, palm shit, engage the ol' trick thumb to escape cuffs, anything you've seen some asshole magician do falls into this category.
>>
>>50203331
Pretty much this, it really needs to be coupled with bluff to really work outside generic pickpocketing.
>>
best spells for a lv3 lore bard?
my party is a champion, a bear totem, an open hand and two tomelocks.

i honestly need no damage but can only take so many utility spells without feeling absolutely worthless in combat.
>>
>>50202543
>>50202510
>>50202453

You ever do a very strenuous activity and then your body is sore for days afterward?

That's what that rule set is trying to replicate. It's not bad or silly, just difference.
>>
>>50203358
Aura of Vitality and Haste.
>>
>>50202872

>teasing someone for liking something

go to hell, mr. wiggles
>>
>>50203362
We're sore for days afterwards because we're fat bastards, adventurers, if not normal and healthy, are extraordinarily above normal people.
>>
>>50203385
this

year ago started a manual labor job, felt like i was fucking dying for two weeks. Now? Can do it all day erry day
>>
>>50203385

Nah man, you ever run a marathon? You don't recover from that in one night.
>>
>>50203394
>Nah man, you ever run a marathon? You don't recover from that in one night.
Adventurers aren't your average suburbanite. Marathons are just another run to the liquor store to them.
>>
>>50203419

I don't think you understand bodies and calories and muscles and stuff
>>
>>50201440
So, I know, by default, monsters have simpler stats.

If I were to use a Pregen as an NPC, does Level=CR?
>>
>>50203443
>If I were to use a Pregen as an NPC, does Level=CR?
No.

CR is a measure of a creature's offensive and defensive abilities. While it is conceptually the same as a player's level, they are not equivalent or exchangeable.

Your best bet for that is to use a premade NPC stat block and adjust to fit your needs. There's ton in the back of the MM and VGM.
>>
>>50203459
Ah. Damn.

Am new to 5e; played a lot of 3.x, where they were directly translatable, at least from Level>CR, albeit not back again.

Thanks.
>>
>>50203427
>demons exist, dragons can fly, killer rugs, skelly-men can stab you and clack about it later, smelly virgin with a funny hat can melt off your skin because he mumbled some words and wiggled his fingers

>I don't think you understand bodies and calories and muscles and stuff
>>
>>50203485

bretty sure there's a difference between magic and non-magic stuff.

also you ever find yourself needing a vacation to just mentally relax and recharge after some time? you know what, even if no anon here has, actual people do and that's what it's trying to replicate.
>>
>>50203500
>bretty sure there's a difference between magic and non-magic stuff.

In DnD? Not as much as you would think

>also you ever find yourself needing a vacation to just mentally relax and recharge after some time? you know what, even if no anon here has, actual people do and that's what it's trying to replicate.

PC's in your game don't try to seek out some R&R without game mechanics playing a role? I'm sorry, anon.
>>
>>50201440
Skimming my new 5e PHB.

Do all classes follow the same 2+(Lv-1)/4 Proficiency progression that the Barbarian/Bard/Cleric do?
>>
>>50203536
yes
>>
>>50203476
To give an example, the NPC mage in the monster manual is effectively level 4, and it's classified as CR 1. It's a match for a full party of level 1 players.
>>
>>50203536
Yes, Proficiency, unlike BAB, is fixed across classes, and is tied to your character level rather than class level.

So a Paladin 9 has the same proficiency as a paladin 4/bard 5 for instance.
>>
>>50203536
All classes follow the same proficiency bonus progression, and when multiclassing your PB is based on your total character level.
>>
>>50201440
>No gnoll player statline in VGM
I'm more disappointed by this than I should be
>>
>>50203554
And Spell DCs are now irrespective of Spell Levels?
>>
>>50203573
Yep, Spell attack bonus and Spell save DC are governed only by your proficiency bonus and attribute modifier (and magic items, if available).
>>
>>50203573
Yes.
>>
>>50203573
Correct. Spell Save DC follows the Universal formula of 8+Casting Stat Mod+Proficiency Bonus.
>>
>>50203573
Yup. 8+proficiency+relevant stat bonus
>>
>>50203500
Not that guy but..

What about Brontosaurus? They aren't magical but they ignore physic in d&d world.

At the end, it's about whether that thing will be fun and add to the story or not. PC are suppose to be hero, Do you think it is very heroic or fun if batman has to sleep in bed because of sore muscle after his nightly activity?
>>
>>50203573
>>50203536
YOU SEE YOU ASSHOLES? THIS IS HOW YOU ASK QUESTIONS IN 5E THREADS! You read the fucking book, piece together what you DO know, then ask an informed question.

Anon, I salute you for your ability to read. Too many times we just get fuckers that go "Hurr durr how do i attack?"
>>
>>50203573
Are fighters and rogues the only ones with a different ASI progression?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, just trying to grok the system better.
>>
File: 5eg anon reads the phb.png (557KB, 700x483px) Image search: [Google]
5eg anon reads the phb.png
557KB, 700x483px
>>50203616
>>
>>50203616
But anon... do druid get pregnant during wild shape?

/sarcasm
>>
>>50203639
>Are fighters and rogues the only ones with a different ASI progression?
Yep. Fighters get 2 extra (mimicking past editions' fighters getting bonus feats), and rogues get 1 extra (probably because they're a bit more overall skilled than most adventurers).
>>
>>50203642
ask your dm
>>
Amethyst Quintessence has been added to the Mega under Third Party -> Dias Ex Machina.
>>
>>50203651
And how many of those ASIs can I sacrifice for feats while still keeping up numerically?
>>
>>50203670
not an easy question to answer, depends on build, feats taken, which class, which subclass, etc.

Broadly (very broadly) speaking, two is about right, your build, whatever it may be, probably can't utilize more than two feats without starting to feel the sting of less stat increases.
>>
>>50203670
Any sacrifice of an ASI before getting your main stat to 20 will make you generally less effective, but in some cases getting a feat like GWM, Polearm Master, Crossbow Expert, etc. can be a better choice.

And honestly, taking a feat that fits your character can just be more fun overall. 5e is pretty flexible.
>>
>>50203670
Rogue is probably only need 2 for maximum DEX.

Fighter might need 4 to max out both CON and your attack stat of choice.
>>
File: 1451317474789.jpg (167KB, 1280x1195px) Image search: [Google]
1451317474789.jpg
167KB, 1280x1195px
>>50202782
I was thinking about a kobold barbarian named Screech that, well, did nothing but emit an awful inhuman screeching sound while raging, just dashing around and being impossible to hit/kill. Probably refluff Grovel and just an especially strange, incomprehensible, and distracting sound.
See https://youtu.be/7Jm_eUQSYAk
>>
>>50203364
not magical secrets, just lore bard 3, aka level 1 and 2 spells.

i was thinking something like pic related but seems like too much damage/battlefield control and not enough out of combat applications. not that i expect much out of combat interactions as so far the run has been a dungeon crawl grindfest and magically everyone has survived several deadlier-than-deadly-higher-CR fights.

http://hardcodex.ru/bard/?cards=c2c7b9,c367f8,c2d6d9,c41917,c119bc,ce21b4,c7e5cd,c01f48,c470d0,c65fa2,c262c1,cb1b67,cfc275,c88f97,c8762f,c6cac7,c66d42,cbce5d,c1d4d8,c84609,

these all look very nice and i can't decide for shit.
>>
>>50203692
>>50203694
>>50203703
Thanks.
>>
>>50203726
Enhance Ability is a flexible, long duration utility spell.
>>
>>50203726
I've found heat metal has been very strong in shutting down any enemies wearing heavy armour, so that's a consideration. Otherwise, I'd recommend invisibility over phantasmal force, particularly in levels before magical detection becomes a big thing.
>>
Ass-end of that Gamehole Con panel has them mention that they're going to release new UAs with subclasses of each class until they get all of them, and more.

So maybe bard subclasses this Monday? Or maybe Druid if they're going to get the ones they haven't put out anything new for it.
>>
The most beautiful thing done I've seen was actually done for me.

My friends rp pretty hard, and one was playing a cleric of Cuthbert and was a hardcore zealout. He absolutely would not accept the fact that my character worshipped a God of lightning and storms.

Long story short, my character risked his hide for the cleric and got killed. The cleric dragged my body out alone and performed a burial ritual for my God instead of his. He added my holy symbol to his own necklace and whispered, "ride the lightning, buddy". That night there was a huge lightning storm.
>>
One thing mentioned in the Morkoth listing in Volo's is that descendants of collected people might view it as a ruler or god. I'm thinking of a game for 1st level characters who are descendants, living all their life on the Morkoth island, spurred to investigate when it goes missing. Sound good?
>>
>>50202596
Not the original anon but let me just say that as a new DM this is a very interesting and helpful comparison. I'm going to ignore it for my next session because weak but coordinated kobold are fun.
>>
>>50203273
You can't. It sucks as a skill and really only serves to get you thrown in jail. It should've been left back in the Use Rope era. Fold its "uses" into Dexterity, Stealth and Performance.
>>
>>50203816
Thanks, that's about what I thought.
>Use Rope era
This was actually a skill?
>>
>>50203787
Sounds like a decent start to a campaign if the players are all on-board to have that sort of backstory. You might want to add some more options like shipwrecked sailor, adventurer looking for the mythic isle, just to give them some more options.
>>
>>50203765
i'm have no idea who this campaign is going to develop and heat metal only seems useful when you decidedly fight against humanoids, i guess i could always swap it later but sounds more situational than other things.
>>
>>50203845
I'm used to players who put little into backstory, and want to see how they react to "Village Elder says God hasn't been seen in a while, go to the big temple and see what's up."

the island's are described as in perpetual twilight, and with sub/tropical environment. What creatures would live in such an environment?
>>
>>50203844
Yes.
>>
File: 1474684742483s.jpg (2KB, 125x123px) Image search: [Google]
1474684742483s.jpg
2KB, 125x123px
I don't think I've ever been surprised by my players before, like, impressed surprised. :^)

>Cannibalistic cult tribe made up of half orcs, humans and dwarves.
>Elf ranger camouflages and spies, barbarian and wizard interrogate and OOG warlock determines that they are speaking deep.
>roughly 75 cultists, in the middle of the forest with no roads or paths leading to it
>they find out they are awaiting a god to bring them to paradise
>they have a small hut used for sacrifices, with a pit in it.
>they disguise themselves with seeming, all appearing to be eldritch, tentacle monstrosities
>looking similar to the ones on their scripts
>immediately the cultists are in awe of their appearance
>the party - except the wizard and warlock go into the hut
>cleric creates a zone of silence inside the hut
>Warlock talks to the tribe and tells them to ascend, remove your worldly belongings and proceed into the portal
>wizard throws his major image and shapes it into a portal over the huts entrance, it's darkness with a glimmer of an eerie light in the center
>cultists line up, naked
>proceed to walk one at a time in the hut, where the ranger and barbarian murder them and throw them in a pit
>they start looting the village
>With so many sacrifices they actually finish the rite of summoning
>Beholder is summoned
>>
>>50203607
Are you implying Batman doesn't sleep to recover? I'm pretty sure he does.
>>
>>50203845
>>50203880
Also the "islands" drift on extraplanar currents, so shipwrecked sailor is unlikely.
>>
Hello /tg/, I seek your aid. I haven't played since the middle of 4th edition. My old group is getting back together, and we figured we would try out 5th before jumping back into 4th. I know my group pretty well, and I try to give them the most options for character creation in terms of classes, skills, feats, etc etc.

My question is, where are there books that are mostly character options? Most of books titles seem to be adventure or module related. I'm used to Martial Powers 2 and things like that.

So which books, ( Besides ph,dmg,mm,) Have stuff for my players to brows through?
>>
>>50203905
>when the players' worst enemy is themselves
>>
>>50203966
Elemental Evil Companion, Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, Volo's Guide to Monsters.
>>
>>50203966
Sword coast adventurer's guide, volo's guide to monsters, elemental evil - player's companion and the core books (phb, mm, dmg) are the official sources for character creation and there's also the unearthed arcana for beta test/official homebrew material
>>
>>50203181
Parthenogenesis triggered by handholding and headpats.
>>
>>50203990
>>50203999
Thank you, you guys are cool and if I ever see you I will give you one of my common minis.
>>
Also best bard skills?
I wish I was a half elf so I could have then all but alas, I'm only a measly halfling.
I was thinking acrobatics, stealth, persuasion, insight, investigation, arcana, history and perception.
>>
>>50202023
Truly monster races only attract the furry weabos from /pfg/.

Should have only made it giant races and fey instead.
>>
>>50203253
STR seems like an easy dump stat in 5e though, you need just enough to carry your weapons and Armour unencumbered then get the barb or someone to carry all the loot.
You get DEX to damage on finesse and ranged weapons.
So you're stuck using finesse weapons, which isn't bad because a rapier does as much damage as any other martial non-heavy (you're probably not going to use heavy weapons because kobolds are small) weapon wielded in one hand .
Also you use strength to grapple so you will suck at that, but you can use DEX (acrobatics) to escape.
So pretty much the only downsides to dumping strength are the athletics skill ,STR saving throws and grappling. You weren't going to use two handed weapons because of your small size and the best are heavy.
So the -2 to STR is nothing bad.
Next onto sunlight sensitivity, disadvantage on attack rolls in direct sunlight, that's pretty shit, if only we had a way to get rid of that.
BOOM pack tactics, extremely powerful as long as you have a hunk of meat other that you on the front lines, gives advantage which cancels out the sunlight sensitivity disadvantage. I would probably say it's much better for ranged attacks than melee, because getting one fighter next to an enemy is pretty easy, but getting 2 can be a hassle.
I'm not saying Koblods are more powerful than other races, but they are definitely playable even with sunlight sensitivity (unless you have a seafaring campaign or something where no one is within 5ft and it's always outdoors and athletics is important in which case they really suck)
>>
My dm is starting a fresh campaign, and i'm rolling up a warlock/rogue obsessed with gambling. Which skill does gambling fall under ( Not inherently cheating, just the game skill.))
>>
File: volo.jpg (75KB, 300x190px) Image search: [Google]
volo.jpg
75KB, 300x190px
High Res Volo's Guide to Monsters Cover...

imgur.com/55bUjzr
>>
>>50204234

Nothing really, I guess Insight would be the most neutral choice.
>>
>>50204234
That depends on the game, really. Some would be Sleight of Hand (something like dice games), some would be Deception (most card games), some would be a Tool proficiency (something like chess), some would just be luck without skills affecting it at all.
>>
>>50204234
There are gaming sets that have their own proficiency.
>>
>>50204263
>>50204273
>>50204284
Gotchya, I will work it out with the DM to be sure.
>>
>>50201992
>>50202023
>>50202493
>>50204204
Can the one or two (but probably one) people trying to make the /pfg/ meme happen please just fucking stop.

>Should have only made it giant races and fey instead.
>Their fetish is bad, you should use mine instead.
>>
>>50204056
well it depend what you want I mean performance, persuasion and acrobatics are standard for RP bard

perception and insight are good for general RP

the rest is not that important
>>
/pfg/ has high quality OP images and discussions, this general would do well to become more like them.
>>
>>50202498
Um no.
Str rangers are a meme.

Just go with a dex based ranger wearing medium armour or dip a monk level for unarmoured defense.

Fighting styles you get are:

Dueling - +2 to onehanded weapons damage rolls

Defense - a +1 to your AC when wearing armour.

Two weapon fighting - the SAO meme style, just use it to get more attacks but in my oppinion it sucks.

Archery - well play Legolas already.

My favourite one here is Dueling since it grants you a minimum of 3+dex mod damage.

A Ranger with the dueling style and a monk level dip using a shortsword with FE humanoid and hunter conclave with horde breaker or giant slayer at lvl 6 does this as long as conditions are met:

Giant slayer: 2d6+12+1d8+1d4+5 or 29 Average , 21 minimum and 51 maximum (double that on a crit for 102).

A horde breaker gets it up by 3 more damage minimum, 5 more average and 8 more to maximum.

With
>>
>>50204204
>Truly monster races only attract the furry weabos
HAHA
y-yeah what weirdos for getting boners over bull shit like dumb cute little kobolds or stupid Yuan-ti and their graceful scaled bodies
dumb fuckers
>>
>>50204056
Depends on party comp and skill coverage. If you don't have a rogue, you may want Sleight of Hand, and if you don't have any other good cha characters, you'll probably want deception. Insight, arcana, and history are less useful to you.
>>
Can anyone help me build a Ghostwise Halfling Light Cleric?

27 Point-buy.

Thinking...
9 12(+2) 13 12 15(+1) 12

Would it be alright?
>>
>>50204494
Do you have skills that use INT or CHA? Because that CON could use a little boost.
>>
>>50204376
>Archery - well play Legolas already.

Assuming I wanted to build this, as a DnD noob how would I go about doing so? would ranger even be the best class, or would some bastardised fighter build work better?
>>
>>50204376
>Just go with a dex based ranger wearing medium armour or dip a monk level for unarmoured defense.
I've never considered ranger/monk before. Now with revised ranger it might actually be pretty good. Something like monk 6/ranger X.
>>
>>50203780
Citation needed.

>>50204332
The good thing is /pfg/, if they are in here, are at least considering a better system and breaking free of their self induced Stockholm syndrome.
>>
>>50204580
>Citation needed.
Link in >>50202890, in the very last 5 minutes.
>>
>>50204355
You fucking wotm8.
>>
>>50202955
At least they are listening to feedback. It's a good fucking start.
>>
Does anyone have the pdf of Adventures in Middle-earth?
>>
>>50204543
Fighter gets more attacks but you get ranger spells, proficiencies, primal senses, fleet of footm hide in plain sight and FE to make up for it.

Not to mention the goodies from the subclasses.
Batttlemaster using the precision maneouver for 1 turn can make all his arrows land under sharpshooter meaning an extra 4d10 damage along with his base damage with a longbow.
But superiority dice are fast to be spent and you only ever get ''extra attack 2'' and ''extra attack 3'' at high levels where most groups even don't play.

Ranger is better at lower levels.
Especially the hunter archetype with Giant slayer adding a 1d8 extra guarateed damage each turn and horde breaker granting you an extra attack when you face another creature withing 5ft of you which is always when you go into melee against a group.

>>50204578
Monk grants you a free unarmed strike as a bonus action as long as you wield a onehanded or versatile weapon they are proficient with.
Shortsword meets this requirement but also meets the requirement for the dueling fighting style meaning a +2 on damage rolls.
With FE humanoids it ends up as:
1d6+Dex mod+2 from dueling+ 1d4+Dex mod+4 from FE

Meaning at lvl 3 a Monk1/Ranger2 deals 16 damage average on hit.
That's monstrous at such low levels.
>>
>>50204543
here is how you build this
UA Revised Ranger- Hunter Con
either human variant or any other race at level 4 to pick sharpshooter and just max dex should be fine for shit and giggles go one rogue for an extra 1d6 sneak attack
>>
>>50204588
Thanks brah.
>>
>>50201785
Depends on the monster. Oozes attack whatever is closest, as do less intelligent beasts.

Cunning strategistsâ„¢ will attack the lightest opponents and slowly drag down the heavy hitters with a mixture of skirmish tactics, choosing the terrain and whatever optional items they might have such as tanglefoot bags or caltrops.

I beat the shit out of my players yesterday with 4 gnolls in dense jungle terrain.

Gnolls were behind heavy cover taking pot shots at the magic users who were in the back (so were the gnolls)

From their, the two heavy melee combatants and 2 mooks made their way through the foliage to get as close to them as possible before charging out of the bush.

This was backed by a gnoll druid of corruption who threw down entangle after the tiefling tried to diplomacize him, not realizing that spouting infernal at a demon worshipper is a great way to get yo self sacrificed. So they beat the rogue, bard, and cleric unconious while losing a few of their members while the warlock tiefling failed every. single. save. It was a DC 13 and he had +2.

Anyway, do what makes sense for your critter and if nothing pops into your head assign the players a numeric code and roll the corresponding dice. bam, random.
>>
>>50204636
>Meaning at lvl 3 a Monk1/Ranger2 deals 16 damage average on hit.
>That's monstrous at such low levels.
>monstrous
come on now
fighter 1 rogue 1 with dueling is 13 average
paladin 2 rogue 1 does the same but with smites added
twf fighter 1 rogue 1 is 16.5 assuming two d6 weapons, a normal twf fighter 3 is 13+maneuvers, variant human would have the feat already
rogue 3 with two shortswords is 17
This is all assuming 16 in the attack stat which is perfectly reasonable at level 1.
That's normal damage for level 3.
>>
How can I convince the rest of my party that settling up a base of operations in a city, not straying too far from it, and letting the adventure come to us can be just as fun as travelling in search of it?
>>
>>50204730
Are you the GM?
>>
>>50204730
Talk to your DM, give them investment opportunities and ties to the city. Give them a reason to care. Alternatively if you are a rogue/wizard arrange for their loved ones to be kidnapped and a messenger to tell them they are somewhere in the city. They'll (hopefully) tear the city apart. Meanwhile they were moved out to a cottage on the outskirts of the city and given a fat bag of gold and ownership over a plot of land. Tell them their kin died and this is their inheritance.

If they bitch tell them its because you want to settle your old creaky bones down and make something of your life. Throw your fucking heart into it. Lay it out, become a power in the region not just wandering shmucks.
>>
>>50204728
You are accounting for sneak attack in all of those and smites on paladins while this Monk 1/Ranger2 combo doesn't spend any resource on it.
>>
>>50201440
Game I'm playing in had an asia sideplot that involved us getting an artifact for a queen we royally pissed off months ago. This resulted in us gambling with a long-dead gambling spirit, betting our souls in order to win said maguffin from the ghost. Half our team had fallen so my, effectively NPC tier human character, stepped in to gamble his life to both get his friends back and win by sheer happenstance.

The best part is I specced my character to be the spot checker, specializing on preception/insignt/investigation/etc. Not once did this ghost cheat, so after winning this game of chance I had my character make a makeshift shrine to honor a pure spirit that just wanted to have fun.
>>
>>50204494
>9 12(+2) 13 12 15(+1) 12
Maybe consider
>8 14(+2) 14 10 15(+1) 10
Leaving two odd numbered stats is only good if you are going to up them both at first ASI, but you want those to go to wis for your casting, and light cleric abilities all hinge on you being within movement range of danger, so being a bit more defensive out of the gate is helpful. It also gives you a decent bonus on all good saves.
You could also change the two 10s to an 8 and a 12, based on preference or skills taken.
>>
>>50204837
And you're accounting for fighting your favoured enemy.
>>
>>50204985
Which is humanoids and those cover most of the enemies that aren't beasts or abberations.
Then consider the fact that you can ask your GM what sort of campaign to expect i.e. if youll face more undead, if you will be in the wilds and so on.
Also new UA ranger made the FE groups encompas far more things so under FE humanoids you get your FE bonus from anything from Dwarf to Ogre.
>>
>>50204837
I listed the normal two weapon fighter which does 13 using d6 weapons
>>
>>50205009
Ogres are giants
>>
Is there any size chart for the various Druid Wild Shape beasts beyond simply 'Large' and 'Small' or whatever?

It's getting frustrating when my player's druid shifts into a new form and all the PHB statblock has to say is a single word. It's been fine so far but i'm worried about flubbing and being inconsistent (my players are the type who would pick up on it).
>>
>>50205192
What? Most of the wildshape beasts are in the MM.
>>
>>50205219
???

I don't see any of them listed in the contents.
>>
File: wat cat 3.jpg (197KB, 671x652px) Image search: [Google]
wat cat 3.jpg
197KB, 671x652px
>>50205192
>Is there any size chart for the various Druid Wild Shape beasts beyond simply 'Large' and 'Small' or whatever?
What about their size is specifically troubling you?
>>
File: 5e Creature Sizes.jpg (576KB, 1502x1039px) Image search: [Google]
5e Creature Sizes.jpg
576KB, 1502x1039px
>>50205192
What do you mean? Like pic related? In the end, the size categories are just abstractions of how much space a creature would "control" and/or "require" in combat to move about and fight efficiently.
>>
>>50205237
>Appendix A: Miscellaneous Creatures.....317
>>
is it fair to have players trigger traps if they don't say they're looking for them? or should i have their passive perception constantly going, looking for them?
>>
>>50202361
I tried to look this up when you last posted, but I couldn't find it in Pocket Casts. Game over.
>>
>>50205279
...Oh, so it does.

OK, never mind, i'm an idiot. Thanks, anon.

>>50205268
>>50205241
I just get frustrated by how ambiguous 'Large' can be. For example a Giant Spider is a Large beast, but so is a Giant Octopus which somehow has 15ft of reach, 3 times that of the spider - despite being in the same size category.
>>
>>50205320
Being Large means they take up a 10x10 space and can carry, push, pull, and lift twice as much as a Medium creature. That's basically it as far as beasts go.
>>
>>50205298
You should always be taking their passive perceptions into account.
>>
File: power rangers were strange.gif (499KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
power rangers were strange.gif
499KB, 500x281px
best possible monk build for 5e, or any tips at least?
my heart burns with justice. i must play a power ranger.
>>
>>50205380
>monk build
Prioritize Dex, then Wis, then Con. Two-hand a quarterstaff at low levels to up your damage a bit.

If you want to get into multiclassing, mixing in some Cleric (for healing, buffs, and stuff like Spiritual Weapon), Druid (healing, buffs), or revised Ranger can be decent for any, maybe no more than a few levels. Shadow monk 6/rogue X is great for ninja shenanigans though.

And above all else, don't take the Four Elements subclass, it's shit.
>>
File: jap merchant 1901.jpg (73KB, 640x492px) Image search: [Google]
jap merchant 1901.jpg
73KB, 640x492px
>>50205402
thanks. still very used to pure monk being best (and only viable) monk from older ed's i'd play.

a little scary thinking of multiclassing a monk
>>
>>50205380
When going monk and multiclassing follow a few simple rules.

Use classes that depend on Dex and Wis.
Prioritize your Monk levels as they determine your MA die, number of attacks and mobility.

Don't dip more than 3 levels into the other class.

Good options to get are:

Thief - focus on using fast hands to use healing kits.

New UA ranger - focus on the Hunter archetype as it gives you decent features such as Giant slayer (a1d8 damage bonus once per turn) and Horde breaker (attack another creature within 5ft for free).

Cleric - dem heals and Light cleric with Sun soul monk nets you the ability to cast burning a whole fucking lot.

Druid - nets you a wildshape and healing + some usefull spells.

Warlock (Despite being Cha based) - nets you two short rest spell slots and Hex along with decent utility invocations.
>>
Hey fa/tg/uys
Anyone here has been using or have played under the longer 8h short/1 week long rest variant?
How's it been working out?
How's it affecting class balance?
>>
>>50205772
Some people really seem to fucking hate it.

It shouldn't affect class balance too much, really. It may make some people more cautious about utility.

However, it simply rebalancesin a campaign where monsters do not attack constantly.
>>
File: Screamcover2.png (217KB, 250x323px) Image search: [Google]
Screamcover2.png
217KB, 250x323px
>>50205782
>>50205772
wouldn't work for my games.
oh you're taking a week to rest before you finish clearing the hold? they're going to go ahead and reset all the traps and refresh all the troops you already killed/injured with fresh ones.
>>
I'm playing a Rogue who could, background-wise, take a level of Cleric/Paladin or Druid.

Would it even be a good idea to dip one or two levels in either of those as a Rogue Thief?
>>
File: raughs.jpg (78KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
raughs.jpg
78KB, 500x500px
>>50205896
for one level? cleric. but that's just my opinion
>>
>>50205896
Druid if you do a 2 level dip because it nets you a wildshape on top of decent spells.

Either way i reccomend you focus on a Wis based class and get proficiency in Medicine (Wis) as well as a healers hit.
>>
>>50205896
1 level of Trickery Cleric would give you some nice things, plus give you more slots if you're going Arcane Trickster. But usually when I'm playing rogue I'd rather not multiclass.
>>
>>50201559
I might, if you let me play my insane wizard archeologist. At level 15 he'd be a lot to handle.
>>
>>50205896
Don't. Thief is rather dependent on their powerful, unusually late ability that gives them essentially an extra turn.

At most, a single level cleric dip might help you if you want a couple of concentration buff spells so you can cast 'bless' twice a day, but honestly it's probably not even worth bothering with unless there's no cleric or druid in your party.

You would be better off multiclassing for a shield and green flame blade / booming blade, cleric/druid/paladin only provide a shield proficiency but not the cantrips that work well with rapier+shield rogue.

Actually, barbarian is one of the best things you can multiclass with, but you have to use strength to get the absolute full bonuses and you've probably not done that.

.. So what I'm saying is, don't bother. Thief rogue only pays off at the later rogue levels.
>>
>>50205968
Yeah that's what I was thinking myself, if anything it'd be more of a character backstory thing than anything else.

The thing I want the most is Reliable Talent in a few levels, I've been trying to get proficiency in as much shit as I can so I can avoid getting fucked by shit rolls at critical times.
>>
>>50201494
Neck yourself, shitposter.
>>
>>50205772
Absolutely devastating to Warlocks.
>>
>>50205968
>Thief rogue only pays off at the later rogue levels.
I'd say it pays off at level 3 when you take it. Fast Hands is incredibly useful, as is Second Story Work if your DM isn't a cock and makes you do an acrobatics check every time you climb anything anyways.
>>
>>50205984
>if anything it'd be more of a character backstory thing than anything else.
Then take the Acolyte background and be done with it.
>>
>>50206033
I did you QUADRUPLE NIGGER
>>
>>50202700
>Rage dosn't work with heavy armor
That's silly.

How is it that Monks have more class features usable with armor and shields than Barbs?
>>
>>50201784
Wish I could kill both of those wretches, fix their little spoilerific problem then.
>>
>>50203500
>magical characters can do anything they fucking want
>mundane characters are strictly limited to real-world physics
>except when the game has rules that make them worse than real-world athletes (running, jumping, lifting), in which case the book applies
Please stop. D&D was built on the shoulders of epic sword and sorcerery/planets fantasy. The average Fighter or Barbarian isn't some realistic militiaman, they are FUCKING CONAN. When Conan wants to knock over a bookcase, the DM does not ask him for a Strength check and an attack roll so you can deal 1d4 damage, he says "You hurl the bookcase halfway across the room, smashing it into the Serpent Lord's henchman. As pages go flying everywhere, there is a splintering of wood, and the henchman's head and shoulders thrust out from the the back of the bookcase. It falls, half crushing the man and leaving him in an awkward pile, unable to fight back."
>>
>>50203844
Those times were so dark, Underwater Basketweaving was a skill, and Knowledge was divided into roughly 200 subgroups.

If you were looking at a Clouet, you wouldn't roll Knowledge: Art, or even Knowledge: Renaissance Art, or even Knowledge: French Renaissance Art, because that could encompass all sorts of mediums. Better hope you invested in Knowledge: French Renaissance Painters, fuckboi.
>>
>>50205380
Wear armor and a shield.
>>
>>50205380
Ask your DM to let you roll for stats.
If you get good stats, go monk.

If you get bad stats, play literally anything else.

You're looking for atleast two very high stats.
>>
>>50206405
Is high Dex/Wis more important than Str/Dex/Con on barbarians or Str/Wis on clerics?
>>
What's the best way to raise skeletons? Better to cut the bones out of fresh corpses or find them from graves? Might it be better to settle for zombies?
>>
Do you let your druid players praise mielikki and thus wear metal armour?
>>
>>50206456
Dex is so you can actuall punch well.
Wis is so you can stun everything with a high DC roll.

Dex is thus more important early on and Wis later on.

If you manage to get at least a 17 in both as you roll for stats then pick a race that boosts them both like Wood elf then you end up with a +4 to Dex rolls and a +4 to Wis rolls which means you are free to spend your other ASIs on Feats or fixing up your other stats since you rolled or trying to raise your Con.
And if you got decent Int then dip abjuration wizard or bladesinger.
>>
File: wuxing2.jpg (74KB, 634x720px) Image search: [Google]
wuxing2.jpg
74KB, 634x720px
>>50206509
>implying metal isn't a natural element to begin with
>>
Used a deck of many things tonight.

I drew the "+10k exp or draw 2 more cards" card

I took the risk and drew 2 more, got the one that reversed my clerics alignment and lost all of his spells/ connection with his god, then I drew the fate card and used it undo my previous draw to unfuck myself.

So in the end nothing changed for me but it's still a super fun item though.
>>
>>50206456
Monks rely very heavily on dex and wisdom.

Clerics can survive with low wisdom, as per the nature of spellcasting. Clerics seriously don't need strength, at all, except perhaps for wearing heavy armour, but then you might as well play a hill dwarf cleric. Also, they only need 15 strength to wear armour if not a dwarf, anyway.
Barbarians can survive with low str/dex/con, because they have rage damage (a flat +2), they can wear medium armour and they still get rage resistances. They only need 14 dex to get the most out of medium armour.

Strength paladins are the most MAD. They want strength (Hit things), dexterity (initiative, stealth, dex saves, etc), con (survivability on front lines), wisdom (wisdom saves, perception), charisma (paladin things)

Monks are the most AD. They need three skills, but those three skills are the only things they'll ever need. They don't give a shit about strength, intellect or charisma for the mostpart.
Dexterity, wisdom and constituion are the most important saves.
Monks need higher dex for stealth, +1 to hit, + damage for EVERY punch (up to four punches at level 5) and armour. They don't get armour, and rely on having good stats to have good armour.
Con matters as their hitdice is lower and can't sustain them in close combat alone.
Wisdom matters because later on monks become mostly stunbots, and their stuns are heavily based on wisdom. Also armour.
>>
>>50206456
Set your Priorities like this when making a monk:
1.)Dex - your ability to hit and punch things really well revolves around it as do most of your Monk abilities like arrow catching , evasion and your AC.

2.)Wis is necessary for Stunning strike and AC

3.)Con is necessary to survive because you have the same Hp as your party rogue.

Thus you need to pick subclasses depending how you want to play it as well.

A magic blaster? Play sun soul.

A frontliner? Open hand and Long death since they have ways to replenish Hp.

A stunbot? Shadow/Open Hand do it best (shadow lets you teleport to safety and open hand just procces stunns on FOB).

Absolutely don't pick Wot4E unless your DM lets you play the community ''Wot4E monk Revised''.

>>50206560
If the default DnD setting wasn't using western elements i'd really dig the Daoist magics.
>>
>>50206202
You can use medium armor and a shield as a barb and still get all the rage bonuses.

For monks tho, they start with no armor profs so to even get that going you need to multi class or pick feats. Even then, you're still looking to get alot of dex and wis as a monk, so you probably don't even want armor. If you have more then 14 wis (and you should) as a monk then unarmored gives you more AC then studded leather does, unless it's magical. Medium armor only gives you +2 from dex (or +3 with feat) but your dex should be 20 asap anyways so light is better. Not even going to touch str monks cuz that's silly.
>>
>>50206457
Skellies are ALOT better due to the fact that you can give them ranged weapons. Zombies are alot easier, but given time between battles I guess you could burn the flesh off of fallen foes with a bonfire or something? Ask your DM what he would suggest.
>>
>>50202925
Ter-rask maybe?
>>
>>50203342
A Small creature would have anywhere from 0.59 to 0.69 liters of blood.

A Large creature would have anywhere from 37.6 to 44 liters of blood.

A Huge creature would have anywhere from 300.8 to 352 liters of blood.

This assumes that the creature is roughly human-shaped.
>>
How would I go about optimizing a lizardfolk who tries to bite as much as possible? I am going to take one level in monk for dex scaling on bites and bonus action bites, but I don't know if continuing monk or multiclassing is best.

Does fighter, paladin, ranger or rogue have any especially fun synergies with biting a whole lot?
>>
So those new Barbarian archetypes. Why are they so bare bones and shit and why is one blatantly a cleric Archtype?
>>
>>50206509
All Druids can wear metal armour, it's just that many choose not to.
Wearing it isn't going to cut them off from their abilities.
>>
>>50206972
All the synergies have 'melee weapon' limitations.

Paladin's improved divine smite would work well with an extra attack if it didn't require a melee weapon to use.
Same with rogue and finesse weapons.

You can make an unarmed strike regardless of what you're holding, but that doesn't help you with anything at all, since you can only have one shield. However, this provides fighter's only synergy in that an eldritch blaster Eldritch Knight with a shield has a bit of trouble taking out their weapon every round, and thus it feels a niche that you can't fulfill because you can't use shillelagh on your bites. So, no to fighter.

The new ranger could potentially have synergy, oddly, as the +2 / +4 damage bonus applies to 'weapon attacks', which means you'll get that damage on every bite.
Barbarian also does this with a +2 that scales up to +4 later.

Bladesingers oddly work too, as they get '+int to damage' later on which works well with the bonus attack.

So, your options are:

1. Barbarian
2. UA Ranger (But allowing multiclasses with UA stuff is usually something the DM should avoid. See: Shadow sorcerer, for example)
3. Bladesinger
>>
>>50207034
Yes and no, donning metal armor doesn't hinder them, but they wouldn't be druids, possibly nature clerics instead, if they chose to do so. It's against the fluff of the class itself.
>>
>>50207034
>druids will not wear armor or use shields made of metal
>WILL NOT
Doesn't matter if they can or not because they never will
>>
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-march-2016

First thing answered here. No metal is certainly possible as long as your DM wants it to, but in the official universe you might end up undermining the identity of the class.
>>
What would happen to the soul of a creature transformed into a vampire spawn? Is there a way to get rid of a creature's soul other than lich's phylacteries or that wraith ability?
>>
Also, can vampires make spawn out of non-humanoid creatures? Giants, for example? RAW their Bite seems to imply no.
>>
>>50204234
Proficiency with a gaming set
>>
>>50207300
What would be good Minions for a storm Giant fight on a boat in the middle of the ocean? Planning an encounter where the party helps a pirate crew beat the storm Giant who is keeping them from leaving the shore with his constant storms, but I feel like just the Giant on his own will be too weak. I am essentially giving him the equivalent of lair actions (the boat rocking in the storm, disrupting the players) but without legendary actions, I feel he could be way too easy on his own. Some sort of weak elemental or something I can use to distract the party?
>>
>>50207353
Didnt mean to reply to that, oops
>>
>>50207353
Merfolk, some acolytes of a cult built around the storm giant, with maybe a Cleric built with character levels
>>
>>50207353
>middle of the ocean

If your giant is large enough to stand at the bottom of the ocean, he'll be world-destroyingly big.

He'd have to be swimming like a dog while doing all of this, which makes for an interesting 'he's normally stronger than this, but you've caught him at a disadvanttage'.
>>
>>50201559
More people might get it if you used the more common (and less offensive) phrase of "jerry rig".
>>
>>50202567
Sword & Board
Duelist Fighting Style
27 point buy
str14(+2)
dex14
con 13 (+1)
Int 10
Wis 12
Cha 8
Go medium armour. Sadly for this to work you end up dumping wis because str Rangers end up a little MAD.

Unless you take 'heavily armoured' as your level 4 feat, then feel free to go
Str 15 (+2) (this will be 18 at level 4 with heavily armoured)
Dex 12/10/8
Con 13 (+1)
Int 12/10/8
Wis 14
Cha 12/10/8
with heavily armoured I'd say stay away from deepstalker as your ranger archtype as that one employs more stealth than others
>>
>>50207380
I actually meant he's kind of living on a volcano coming out of the ocean, oops
I do love the idea of a storm Giant doggy paddling towards the boat..

Merfolk is a good idea, just wasn't 100% on how well they would fit in, like why they would side with a giant or something. Might have the Giant in some sort of agreement or something idk
>>
>>50207434
Just kind of realising though, hoe would merfolk fight/get on the boat? They don't have legs
>>
>>50207424
>sword and board with strength
Sword and board with strength is exactly the same for sword and board with dexterity, except without cool bonuses such as initiative and dex saves and stealth.

It's literally just a downgrade.

Not to mention, that's 14 wasted on strength when you could be puting it on con instead, because you sure as heck don't need that strength for anything.

Yes, I know they want to make a strength ranger no matter what, but it's literally almost a direct downgrade from dex ranger.
>>
>>50207434
The Merfolk have a settlement in the shallower parts of the ocean, the ships that used to pass disturbed that settlement, so when a band of adventurers groups up with pirates to let the ships pass again of course they'll side with the storm giant.
>>
>>50207434
Well, that makes more sense. Be sure to construct proper basins, volcano arcs, plate subduction and magma upwelling systems along with making sure to take note of the material of the subducting plate and the possibility of stuff such as water seeping into the magma to determine the final magma consistency and thus the viscousity and speed of lava when erupted.
>>
What would a 1/4 spell casting progression look like?
>>
>>50207477
This was what I was thinking of, but then I thought of >>50207465

Sahuagin works pretty well, I can even have Sharks circle the boat for if anyone falls off. They cam just be a bit harder to justify is all
>>
>>50207520
you could use Sea Hags that feed off the dead sailors from wrecks caused by the giant
>>
>>50207504
You only gain spellcasting at level 4 (which doesn't really work).
You gain a second level of spellcasting at level 5.

From then on, you gain a level of spellcasting every four levels (level 9, level 13, level 17).

This would mean you get 5 levels of spellcasting, compared to a 1/3 spellcaster's 7 levels, a 1/2 spellcaster's 10 levels or a full caster's 20 levels.

5 levels of spellcasting gives you, in the end:

4 level 1 slots
3 level 2 slots
2 level 3 slots
The character would gain level 3 spells at level 17.
>>
>>50207584
>>50207504
What I meant by level 4 not really working is that that's usually the area for the first ASI. You can actually still give it to a new class, but it'd be hard to implement it in an existing class as an archetype feature as there are no level 4 class choice.
>>
>start at level 6
>GM encourages me to make a revised ranger
>refuses to give any advice on what favored enemies to pick because muh spoilers
>says he won't allow to re-pick

What do?
>>
>>50207467
Well then if they want something effective that only strength can do

Take the second statblock i proposed, go human variant polearm Master with Tunnel Fighter for their fighting style and at level 4 take heavily armoured. Then they're doing something only str can do along with all the bells and whistles a Ranger gets.

Or just do what I said but instead of sword & Board go Heavy Weapons
>>
>>50207353
Check out Volo's Guide to Monsters in the Mega. There you'll find a Storm Giant Quintessent, with legendary actions, lair actions and regional effects.
>>
>>50207623
This is why I really liked 3.5's urban ranger, conceptually. You got multiple favoured enemies (which was standard), and you also got to choose favoured organizations instead of races, so as the campaign progressed if a big and bad group started becoming more and more prevalent, you could throw them in instead of picking another type of humanoid or something.

My advice to you is ask him to be reasonable and make some concession so your class isn't useless. Re-picking on a level up sounds reasonable to me.
>>
>>50207623
You will be meeting humanoids pretty much no matter what, so it's really safe. If he won't give any hints at all, pick this.

For greater, just pick whatever fits your character, it'll be a gamble anyways.
>>
>>50207253
>>50207269
No answers?
>>
>>50207584
>>50207602

I see, I had the wrong idea about how it was modeled. Thanks for the input.
>>
>>50207648
That's true, but in that case they should just go paladin instead, it'd do the same gimmick but better.

Though, if it's UA ranger, I suppose it's not entirely bad because the +damage from favoured enemy does actually have synergy with PAM. If they're playing ranger for the companion and they're using UA ranger and they fight their favoured enemy a lot, I suppose that works out.
>>
>>50207269
Correct, it specifies humanoids, so giants are a nono.
>>
>>50201872
I think we could stand to have an alternate to the 5e Fighter that was built a little more like the 5e Warlock - the battlemaster is a step in the right direction, but if you had both skills that used up an "n per short rest" resource and a fighter-only tree of mini feats (some of which could make you, say, better at grappling than an athletics-rogue) I think that would make people feel better about fighters being able to do stuff.
>>
>>50207687
It triggers me to see people give the 'spellcasting' feature to a new class or archetype or something and then completely ignore the way the spellcasting feature works.

1/4 casting, following the same trends as (1) / (1/2) / (1/3) casting -
Level 4 - 2 level 1 slots
Level 5 - 3 level 1 slots
Level 9 - 4 level 1 slots, 2 level 2 slots
Level 13 - 4 level 1 slots, 3 level 2 slots
Level 17 - 4 level 1 slots, 3 level 2 slots, 2 level 3 slots.
>>
>>50207675
with RAW, I would also read it as only being humanoids

For flavour, if I were DMing such a situatin I'd save non-humanoid vampire spawn for 'stronger' vampires
>>
new thread
>>
>>50207704
I assumed they really wanted Ranger for the emphasis on traversing the outdoors and being all about Nature.

But if that's what they want, I'd recommend just going Scout Fighter from the Kits of Old UA, since that's simple and easy outdoorsman abilities with loads of feats
>>
>>50207623
make a fighter instead
>>
File: Swoleheart.jpg (251KB, 823x988px) Image search: [Google]
Swoleheart.jpg
251KB, 823x988px
Doing lost mines of phandelver soon with friends. Party of 3 players, but one might not make it to the first session so we're looking at a gruesome twosome between me (Paladin) and a Gnome Wizard.

How well does a paladin and a wizard synergize? How are our chances looking of surviving if its just the two of us? I rolled pretty good ability scores
>>
>>50207986
Pretty much. Or a single level dip into UA ranger, but that'll probably get nerfed if they release a more finalized version.
>>
>>50207710
>>50207773
I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to get rid of a giant's soul. I'm running HotDQ and thinking if there's a way the PCs can keep the flying castle. If they don't kill the cloud giant, I can't see how he'd concede, if they do kill him, he'll possess the castle and crash it.
>>
>>50208070
>not using standard array / point buy
>above 18 in a stat at level 1

Paladin/Monk/Barbarian, the more MAD classes are great if you roll for stats because rolling for stats seems to inexplicably always result in better rolls (or, at least, nobody has ever been willing to post rolls that aren't way past standard).

Both wizard and paladin are great classes, though paladin works out best once you get their level 6 feature.

They don't synergize particularly well in that the paladin's auras later on won't affect the wizard much, but the paladin can greatly benefit from spells such as haste.

On a basic level, paladin still works well as they can take damage whereas the wizard can't. Practically as tanky as a fighter, really. Just a bit tankier than monk. Not as tanky as a moon druid, barbarian, barbarogue, other certain rogue layouts, certain weird cleric/wizard sort of layouts, etc.

Well, whatever. At least it's not 20 strength at level 1.
It's worth mentioning pole arm master is great for paladin if you want to do damage, but obviously that's not the intention here.

It's also worth noting that if you're intent on going shield + weapon, dexterity is in fact a better stat for you than strength. If you can reasonably spare a 15 in strength to wear plate armour later, you're much better off having 18 dexterity.

Having commoner minions is probably good if you've only got 3 players total, I guess.

tl;dr: Everything is perfectly fine, but if you want to meta game(...)
>>
>>50208070
>>50208271
(...) Actually, despite what I said, dexterity isn't really optimal and instead a sidegrade because your stats are just too awkward.

Well, whatever. It all checks out. I'd tell you to go smite things, but you can't yet.
>>
>>50208140
Agreed. The only major thing I'd change would be removing the advantage on initiative rolls at level 1, and moving it to a later level.
>>
File: kys.gif (429KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
kys.gif
429KB, 480x270px
Is the mystic coming on monday?

Please tell me the Mystic is coming this monday.
>>
>>50208573
SOMETHING is coming this monday. Mystic is coming before the end of the year. Could be this monday, could be the day after christmas.
>>
File: 1475792673260.jpg (1MB, 1395x2778px) Image search: [Google]
1475792673260.jpg
1MB, 1395x2778px
>>50208611
>>
>>50208636
Psionics are just telekinetic magic. Refluff something and get over yourself.
>>
How does moving through enemy spaces work? you use acrobatics right? is it an action or bonus action?
>>
>>50208652
All the refluff options are shit and don't fit at all.
>>
>>50206885
I am a Strength Monk.
>>
Has anyone compiled a list of good buff spells that don't require concentration particularly for a bladelock? All I've got so far are Armor of Agathys, Blink, and Mage Armor.
>>
>>50208997
Mirror muthafuckin' Image.
>>
>>50208997
Off the top of my head, Mirror Image. This site might help you: http://donjon.bin.sh/5e/spells/
>>
>>50209110
>>50209136
how the fuck did I forget mirror image?
>>
>>50209110
I used an Illusionist from Volo's at a higher level, was very interesting if a bit frustrating for the players.
>Bonus action to create a illusionary copy a few inches away
>Mirror Image: now 3 duplicates and the wizard, all with a copy to the side for a total of 8 targets
>all of it within a Globe of Invulnerability, so no Dispel Magic
>>
Being a new DM (i know almost all the rules from the SRD)
What is the preferred order of the books that i'm supposed to read?
DM's guide -> ...

Also i'm using an homebrew setting for now but in your opinion, would it be better to just use a made setting for now? Sword's coast or something.
>>
>>50209222
PHB -> DMG -> MonMan
>>
>>50209222
this >>50209229
imo it'd be better to use something established first, but that's up to you.
>>
>>50209238
Yeah I guess, things have been going fine for now but i'm afraid once it gets to higher levels it's going to be hard unless i have that knowledge, and a pre-made setting would make things easier, in terms of setting (guides) is the sword coast one good?
>>
>>50209222
I would say PHB > MM > DMG

>would it be better to just use a made setting for now?
That's entirely up to you. I'm using a pre-made setting because I don't want to spend the time needed to worldbuild. If you prefer to have your own setting, people generally encourage that, because you're more in control of everything and can let your imagination run wild.
>>
>>50209198
>>
>>50208658
it's in the DMG as an optional in-combat action under two names
both can be used with either an action or bonus action
tumble is opposed dex (acrobatics)
overrun is opposed str (athletics) with adv/dis for size differences
>>
Glasstaff escaped the hideout, how do I best reintroduce him to the campaign?
Thread posts: 370
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.