[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where would I get a map of a fake european country that is detailed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: dungeons-dragons_L155.jpg (59KB, 628x480px) Image search: [Google]
dungeons-dragons_L155.jpg
59KB, 628x480px
Where would I get a map of a fake european country that is detailed enough to make sense in real life? For example, it would be like "this is where the sheep herders live, this is where the grain comes from, etc."

I want to just do some low fantasy in a fictional Holy Roman Empire state. But im not good at making up maps im only good at making fun stories.
>>
>>50196240

Crazy idea. Are any of your players medieval historians? No? Then get a modern reconstructed map from a book of medieval history and use that.

Do your players even know where Swabia was?
>>
>>50196240
Try googling map generators. There are plenty that might fit what you're looking for
>>
>>50196312
Sadly yes. My two players are VERY into history and the like and are even big fans of Europa Universalis and othrr paradox games. I doubt I could get away with just using that.

>>50196323
Any reccomendations?
>>
I'd end up making my own map. Probably an island, just so it's easier to control cultural influences, trade, etc to a few port cities.

http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/blueroom/demog.htm is great for getting started (there's an automatic calculator at the bottom of the page, but it's worth reading the whole thing to understand why the numbers are how they are).

In terms of where sheep/grain/wood/brick/ore come from, just don't put them on the desert tile. Really, every farmer is going to be doing a little bit of everything, since it's cheaper to farm your own stuff and save it for the winter than purchase it later. They'll save their money for purchasing new tools, in case of emergency, and so on.

Another crazy idea would be to have your players help you make this map. I mean, their characters would know the area pretty well, right? At least having heard of various landmarks and cities. They don't need to know the BBEG lives in Glamot, the City of Splendor to know where to place it, or what kind of culture it might have. And if the BBEG has their own stronghold, you either don't put it on the map they have, or it's just marked as "Dark Tower - Here be Dragons!" with no more detail.
>>
>>50196974

>They play EU
That doesn't mean they can identify a map of Swabia; notice how there are no towns or trade routes on the EU map. Being 'into history' doesn't mean they have any actual knowledge...
>>
Have you tried the good old take a real map, copy its features, turn it around bit, draw it in the shitty medieval undetailed and rather unreliable way?
>>
>>50197222
>Another crazy idea would be to have your players help you make this map.
This sounds like a good idea to me, if you're up for it, OP. Unless you know that these people are just going to squabble over endless tiny details and never get anything done, but in that case you should find better players anyway
and just make sure they know that once the game starts, the setting is now yours
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.