[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Sheila's knickers edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 361
Thread images: 28

Volo's Guide to Monsters in the trove. Be sure to buy it and support the hobby even if you download it!

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Previously on /5eg/... >>50181501

What is your favorite monster, and how are you going to buff it up to CR 30? Then, how is your party going to beat it?
>>
I thought of a way to make sorcerers not suck. Just give them the option to switch spells known/prepared/whatever after a long rest the way every other caster can. Wizards can change spells daily from their book of infinite spells, clerics and druids just meditate on it, but sorcerers? Nah fuck them, they can only change spells on a level up.
>>
>>50187840
Bards, rangers, EKs, and ATs are all spells known casters as well.
>>
>>50187862
Bards are the jack of all trades master of none, the others aren't fullcasters.
>>
>>50187875
>master of none
>Bards
You have read the Bard pages in the PHB, right? Then you know this is blatantly false.

Lore Bards are easily the best casters in the game, bar none.
>>
>>50187779
I don't have a favorite monster and why would I ever put something CR30 in my game
>>
>>50187875
More like master of all trades.
>>
>>50187893
>>50187901
Alright, how about Bard doesn't suck and Sorcerer does, that's why Sorcs should get daily revisions to their spells known/memorized/etc.
>>
>>50187893
They don't have the versatility of wizards, do they? Or is being able to pick a few spells from any spell list better than having a huge spell list and changing spells between rests?
>>
Reposting from the last thread:

Speaking of the UA Ranger

How would a Halfling Ranger focusing on a spear, riding on a panther/Wolf be?

Seems like a good way to get a decently powerful mount early on, and let you scale fairly well into later on, where you can pick up a bow and become a god-like kiter, even in dungeons where horses wouldn't be able to work all that well.

Or what do you guys think of this? Anything I should be worried about, and are there options that basically become mandatory picks?
>>
>>50187923

Most people consider picking any spells you want to be stronger since it lets you customize your spell list a lot more. A bard can be just as good of a debuffer as a wizard while ALSO throwing out incredible heals, and being a super strong skill monkey. Take aura of life and your team's healing is taken care of, ditto with aura of vitality. The only thing I don't think Lore bards can do very well is blasting but that's not really a big deal.
>>
>>50187923
>Or is being able to pick a few spells from any spell list better than having a huge spell list and changing spells between rests?
Yes.

You fail to understand just how impactful this really is. They don't have a limit here, and they can convert spells that would have required a different casting stat, to count as a bard spell for all intents and purposes.

That is already insane, but also getting full access to ALL SPELLS in the game is completely absurd, disregarding how flexible their spell pool is before magical secrets even becomes relevant.

Throw in everything else bards have (Skilled in literally everything, and being able to throw out inspiration dice like candy) means they can both rival a Wizard in raw casting power potential, while ALSO being far better supporters.
>>
>>50187928
Is your mount able to attack while you ride it? Most of beastmaster's damage comes from the animal now that their extra attack goes to the beast.
>>
>>50187895
Stop being a little bitch.

>>50187945
>>50187956
Truly bards do not know right from wrong.
>>
File: bWqQdPu.jpg (471KB, 2436x1827px) Image search: [Google]
bWqQdPu.jpg
471KB, 2436x1827px
So one of my players is constanty trying to seduce every female NPC he encounters.
How do I properly fuck him over? It's getting really annoying.
>>
>>50187945
you could blast if you could, but it's usually not worth it.

aren't also valor bards the best gishes?
>>
>>50188017
One of them is an succubus and drains him
>>
>>50188017
magic herpes? let his reputation for a womanizer spread and get succubied, or robbed or honeypotted
>>
>>50188017
>Fade to black
>Make a dex roll
>make a strength roll
>make two con rolls
>Your character returns to the party, walking awkwardly.
>You're at a -4 to all dex rolls and need to pass a DC 20 fortitude check to move above half speed.
Then keep correcting the party member whenever they refer to the NPC as "her"
>>
>>50188017
Tell him you are uncomfortable having to RP all these women who don't want to fuck him. Maybe just start having all the women in the campaign be hideous and man-voiced. Throw a passing tranny at him and don't reveal it until he's in. Succubus. STDs. Anal circumference. Traps. Women who agree but only as a ruse to trap you. Women who shout RAAAAAAAAAPE and cause the guards to come in.
>>
>>50187992
Can't see why not?
>>
What's the best dex-heavy two sword guy: two weapon Battlemaster or Swashbuckler rogue?
>>
reposting from last thread but
vgtm question
I dm for my group and was wondering if letting kolbolds have either a resistance, the kolbold inventor's trait, or a pool of 3 sorcery points and 1 or 2 metamagic options be too much? I feel like sunlight sensitivity and pack tactics cancel out so the strength loss needs something else to balance it, and it fits the monster statblocks.
Would letting orcs gain 1 or both of the half orc options be too strong?
>>
>>50188063
>>50188065
>>50188069
Incubus disguised as a woman with a massive horsecock and magic herpes it is then.
>>
One great thing about volo's is with the long reaching arms, double speed, magical resistance and other bullshit now in play you can basically use any third party and homebrewed race and be confident you're probably not any more broken than official options.
>>
>>50188017
>>
>>50188083
Forgot to thank you guys. Manners are important, dont forget that.

>>50188097
Kek
>>
>>50188083
Have the magical herpes be a curse from the incubus's jealous hag wife. Also have her prank the PC by appearing a nubile maiden then revealing herself, warts and all, just as they get back to a room.
>>
>>50188102
No need to thank us, we should thank you for letting us give your player magical herpes from an incubus.
>>
>>50188017
One of them is actually a giant spider.
>>
>>50188017
Everything turns out to be spiders.
>>
>>50187928
You could always dual wield lances while mounted
>>
>>50188017
Dude, see oglaf.com 8 legs of love.
>>
Ways to make players feel "cold" in 5e? The DMG isn't helping very much and just letting my players roll con to get exhausted on a fail is pretty boring.

How do I transfer the freezing climate the characters experience walking through snowy forests for hours, days or weeks into rolls or anything like that?
>>
>>50188207
is this legal, RAW? i know it's munchkin-y and cheese as fuck but, has any of the devs talk about it.
>>
>>50188312
Yes. If you're mounted, you can use a lance one-handed (see the special rules for the lance).

You'll need the dual wielding feat to actually use TWF with lances, though.
>>
>>50188307
Serve Ice cream and lower your thermostat
>>
4e was pretty good.
>>
>>50188307
When they're settling in for a rest ask them how their characters are trying to keep warm. Let their imaginations do your work.
>>
Currently using a 6th level sorcerer with a "Sorcery point" Varient spellcasting. Instead of spell slots I just have a large number of Sorcery points based off the "Spellpoint varient" casting from DMG, and boy is it so versatile and fun. Plays entirely different to the party wizard, who packs more tactful and tailored choices, its fun just being more than the poor mans wizard.

Want to spam high level spells and pretend to be a warlock? Super fun. Want to spam low level spells all day? Can do. Points to burn and enemies to also burn? Go nova and really let loose with Quicken Cantrip every turn. It's so fun and easy to use although the only concern is that it can be a little too easy to spend your points too quickly and be left without much power remaining, but hell that is perfect for a sorcerer. Plus nothing was quite as fun as the encounter where we knew we were taking a long-rest after and I still had a large amount of points to spend so I went full nova dropping a 3rd level spell and a quickened cantrip each turn, although I suppose this would have still been possible and viable as a standard caster.

Anyone else played with the spell point rules or similar?
>>
Do armors include helmets and other stuff? I want to say that my breastplate is supplemented by a mail hauberk, a helmet, bracers and faulds. No AC impact, just descriptive stuff. Or do I actually have to switch to another armor to have those things?
>>
>>50188307
Tell everyone next session is Funny T-shirt Night. Fill a Windex bottle with water, crank the A/C, set up some oscillating fans, and spritz them all night.
>>
>>50188079
Probably swashbuckler. Two weapon fighting scales very badly on a fighter, because eventually the extra damage from the bonus action attack won't measure up to the potential damage lost by not using a heavier weapon, nor will it be as useful as a shield. On a swashbuckler, the bonus action attack is much more useful, because it increases your chance of landing an attack and then doing sneak attack damage. The rogues damage potential is kind of all or nothing, 2 attacks increases your chance of getting all instead of nothing.
>>
>>50188452
I enjoy using the spell point rules for sorcerers in particular. It fits them very well to sort of have a more generic well of energy.

A fun bonus as well is that Sorcery points line up almost perfectly with Spell points in terms value.
>>
>>50188452
I played a regular sorc to level 6 and it was fucking miserable, I'm gelatinous
>>
>>50188455
Unless your dm has a 10 foot pole up his ass there's no reason you couldn't flavour your armour up like that. Might double check with the DM about a helmet, but the rest should be fine for most people.
>>
>>50187779
>What is your favorite monster, and how are you going to buff it up to CR 30? Then, how is your party going to beat it?

A random basic boar who has a 1000ft aura of death that people need to CON or CHA save 30 or die, thrown once for every 5ft moved.

They just need to find a way to drop a boar at 1000ft in a single hit inside a dense forest without stepping once into the area of it's aura.
>>
>>50188486
>Unless your dm has a 10 foot pole up his ass
Most DMs are like this unfortunately.
>>
>>50188455
>breastplate is supplemented by a mail hauberk, a helmet, bracers and faulds
Is it not just half-plate at this point? I'm not sure any DM would really care
>>
>>50188499
burn it all down.
>>
If a spell was cast using a higher level slot, you will need a higher level Dispel Magic to automatically snuff it out, right?
>>
>>50188499
Burn the fucking forest to the ground. Surround it with hireling archers. Shoot all the fucking boars that come out of the forest. Don't aim, fire in large volleys.
>>
>>50188536
>>50188546
You hear a cowardly squeal that is rapidly closing in. The boar moves at a brisk pace of 80ft a turn in your direction, despite the flames. Some of the archers have died. What do you do now as the boar closes towards you?
>>
>>50187779
Any chance people can post their hexographer maps. Im trying to make one and im not sure my land masses are right. Looking to gain some inspiration please and thank you.
>>
File: Why.png (94KB, 245x245px) Image search: [Google]
Why.png
94KB, 245x245px
>>50188499
>>
>>50188575
The archers clearly didn't do what they were told to do.
>>
>>50188122
>thanks for letting us give your player herpes
Kek
>>
>>50188499
>>
>>50188499
>aura of death

So is my undead army okay?
>>
>>50188081
Both the GM's I play with are using a current rule with Volo's guides.

Stats are -1 instead of -2, because that way at least you can still start with a servicable 14. No wizard can get away with only a +1 to start, but a +2 is passable.

Want to play a Kobold Barbarian? 14 strength goes a long way compared to 13.
>>
>>50188499
Wish it to die.

WIZARD, GOT BETTER THINGs TO DO THEN HUNT BOARS
>>
>>50188073
>Woman the player has bedded screams rape as he's entering her, the sound is loud enough to be heard hundreds of yards away.
>Guards immediately rush the tavern, kicking the bedroom door down, swords and shields at the ready.
>They proceed to drag the woman out of the tavern and into the busy street outside.
>Woman is then stoned by the jeering towns people for allowing herself to be raped.
>>
New party has a kenku. Would a typical wood elf have a problem with kenku? Not looking to start any shit, just a lore question.
>>
What're the best ways to take down Tiamat? Goddamn.
>>
>>50188499
Create a helmed horror immune to the aura. Send it to kill it.
>>
>>50188664
>Cast goodberry
>Suddenly the woman is protected by a giant pumpkin appearing around her

>>50188693
What level are you/your group, why are you trying to fight tiamat, and are you on the material plane or fighting her in the planes of hell to kill her for good?
>>
>>50188685
They are normally gang members/dickass thieves but outside of that there shouldn't be anything
>>
Can Lore Bard be a gish? Maybe start with fighter or paladin level?
>>
>>50188590
The effective range of a longbow is just shy of 1000ft. They die before they can let loose if they are prepared and as they loose the arrows, the boar has ran past most of them.

>>50188625
You cannot estimate where the boar is broadly speaking. You just ruined 360ft radius of forest for nothing.

>>50188626
Your undead army cannot catch the boar.

>>50188650
The arcane forces of the universe form a massive hand of force and slap you for wasting it's time to channel the might of Wish to kill a single boar. You lose your 9th level spell slot until you succeed a CHA 24 check to appease the forces of the universe.

>>50188699
I don't know what that is, so therefore it does not exist until I see a statblock.

The boar is closing in on a small village at a rapid pace. The farms outside are already lost. What do you do now?
>>
>>50188722
Why not just go valor?
>>
>>50188685
It depends how Raven-like your Kenku is and how wood elf your wood elf is.
>>
>>50188664
.....um...what?
>>
>>50188499
>Varient Human, Level 2 Warlock, Level 3 Sorcerer.
Spell Sniper, Eldrich Spear, Far-Metamagic.
>360noscope then drop it from 1200ft away.
>>
>>50188735
If you were my GM, I'd fucking punch you in the face for that bullshit.
>>
>>50188747
At level 5 you get 2 bolts dealing 1d10+4 damage each.

Just add Deal-with-it-Shades (Applied by Familiar) and Fingerguns.
>>
>>50188758
The arcane force of the GM call the police and report you for assault and battery.
>>
>>50188739
>>50188739
Because cutting word is better than combat inspiration.
>>
>>50188770
My fist connects with his ugly smug face and applies arcane force to his teeth once again.
>>
>>50188664
Hold up. Are you playing FATAL or something?
>>
>>50188715
Playing the last dregs of Rise, everything went to shit, players are all 20th with customized magic items, we're fighting her on the material plane.
>>
>>50188735
>You cannot estimate where the boar is broadly speaking. You just ruined 360ft radius of forest for nothing.
>Forest with a 1000ft aura of death running around in it
It's already fucked, I'll keep going till its dead
>>
>>50188794
Police (Variant Human Paladin 1/Fighter 14) imprisons you. Judge (Variant Human 18 Cleric) casts Judgement on you. Roll a diplomacy 50 save or be paralyzed for 2d4 years
>>
>>50188735
Leave for shit immature DM who keep moving his goal and doesn't understand the main why TTRPG was create in the first placd.
>>
>>50188842
It's to win the game against the players, right?
>>
So I want to run a wartime game in 5th ed set in the past of my setting sort of modeled off of the mtg Fallen Empires story line.
Player races would be Human, Elf (wood and high), Dwarf, and Triton.
It takes place after a war between the churches of Tourach (god of death) and Illutivan (dead god of life) and both the climates are changing and populations suffering as there are more and more still-born babies.
It'll be confined to one continent and be most a losing war though the players can achieve victories and might be able to change the tide of the war if they do well enough.
Thoughts?
Concerns?
>>
>>50188834
I cast white privilege, get let go with a slap on the wrist and "boys will be boys"
>>
>>50188881
Don't make them regular rank-and-file grunts. Give them some freedom.
>>
>>50188918
The judge has racial Immunity to White Privilege from his variant human (non-american) and casts "Sir Calm Down". Roll DC 15 WIS save or be enraged and confused for 1d3 rounds.
>>
>>50188954
Thank god you're not my DM, you have way too many asspulls to actually have fun with
>>
Rolled 16 (1d20)

>>50188954
I've got a +2 mod but no proficiency in WIS.
>>
What the fuck has this thread descended to?
>>
>>50188968
You assume that I didn't think of all of this before hand.

>>50188971
You succeed. Following this you may reduce your paralyze by 1d6 years, but take 1d4 years of entangled, make DC10 INT or WIS save each week or be paralyzed 2d4 years, no save to reduce.
>>
>>50189008
Let's just kill this faggot and feed him to the pigs.
>>
Guys, my character just died and I wanted to roll out a total meme character.

Kobold Entertainer Lore Bard, wears the brightly coloured clothes and bells of a clown or jester. Tumbles around the battlefield and literally does clown-things. Story is his master and kin were destroyed by adventurers and he survived by doing the one thing he knows how, begging and pledging his undying servitude.

Ends up getting brought into a travelling circus troupe which is a cover for an undercover monster hunter named Rictavio. He fufilled his duties both as a performer and as an accomplice, usually serving as a painfully obvious distraction. Like, the only reason a kobold in bright red and yellow clothes would suddenly start a juggling and tumbling routine infront of you in the middle of the night is to dsitract you from something shady going on but you just can't look away.

Does this sound fun enough to do despite being such an obvious meme.
>>
Anybody get the impression they made the kobold deliberately shit so people wouldn't be able to enact Pun-pun shenanigans?
>>
File: 1478653029214.jpg (118KB, 1200x986px) Image search: [Google]
1478653029214.jpg
118KB, 1200x986px
>>50189029
>not a satire bard
>>
>>50189029
I implore you to reconsider.

It will ruin your game and your group. Don't do it.
>>
>>50189032
No. Despite what you've read you could never enact Pun-pun shenanigans in a real game.
>>
>>50189021
The Police imprison you. Make DC 50 Diplomacy save or be paralyzed for 4d4 years. After paralyze ends, take -8 on all CHA saves.
, but gain a +2 on all STR, DEX and CON saves.
>>
Rolled 1, 9 + 49 = 59 (2d20 + 49)

>>50189083
Rolling with advantage due to my stunning looks.
>>
>>50188834
>>50188954
>>50189083
This is getting way too autistic.
>>
>>50189118
Yeah, what the fuck is wrong with /5eg/ today?
>>
>>50189083
>diplomacy
>save
What the fuck.
>>
>>50189128
>today
They've been shit since Volo got released.
>>
>>50189039
Satire bard?
>>
>>50189189
>>
>>50189083
Hey Memester.

Warlock 2, Sorcerer 3, Varient Human.
I Metamagic Far-cast and Eldrich Spear with Spellsniper feat, killing the boar from 1200ft away. Are we done?
>>
>>50189128
If I cast Imprisonment on a pregnant woman,what happens to the baby? What about True Polymorph?
I'm bringing this up after trawling through Sage Advice and finding out that people unashamedly asked what happens to a baby when you wildshape, and if you could get pregnant when you wildshape.
It's not just here in /5eg/.
>>
>>50189207
It's fucking shit.
The tumble is cute.
Insight is okay reading minds or pointlessly making them a fool in social encounters.
Luck is just garbage trap, you're giving yourself the ability to spend a resource for a chance to scrape by an important check while giving the DM the tools to freely automatically fail something you try to do which will invariably be more important and vital than what you helped pass.

It's fucking shit.
>>
>>50189228
>if you can get pregnant while you wildshape
dude... what... the fuck?
>>
>>50189128
This >>50189179. /pfg/ denizen moved here after they heard about catgirl and scalies race.
>>
>>50189228
...what happens in that wildshape scenario?
>>
I want this thread to be less autistic and want pfg to leave.
>>
>>50189297
>>50189330
>/5eg/, less deviant then Twitter
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/10/07/if-a-druid-in-deer-becomes-pregnant-from-a-stag-what-happens/
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/08/14/what-happens-to-the-child-when-a-pregnant-druid-wildshapes/
>>
>>50189293
> Tumble
Better than rogue cunning action since it's both DIsengage and Dash in 1 action

> Insight
You can make a god embarrassed itself. A GOD. There is no way to escape from this ability.
>>
>>50189363
Are you fucking serious? Why are people so fucking autistic?
>>
Can you chain simulacrums?
>>
>>50189363
i'm a little disgusted to be sharing the same hobby as these people, t b h.
>>
>>50189430

>Starting a campaign
>"I wanna be a cleric of sune" says my friend
>Ask him why Sune?
>"I want to fuck her"

so right now my cleric's sole goal in life is to fuck his goddess
>>
>>50189363
fuckin druids man...
>>
>>50189533
Eh, there are worse reasons
>>
>>50189551
>"Is Sune going to help me get with women?"
>No she'd rather you figure it out yourself, she's not about to influence people's freedom to choose a partner
>"Will she fuck me of I'm hot enough?"
>You'd have to be the single most attractive person on the planet. Did you also forget about the inner beauty part of Sune's Dogma? Bring a selfish pussy chasing Sunite won't get you terribly far in her eyes."
>"Is there a god of sex?"
>Yes but I won't let you follow her because I'm not spending all this time DMing to ERP with your ass while my four other friends watch disgusted.
>>
File: black dragons are acid.png (1MB, 1612x2091px) Image search: [Google]
black dragons are acid.png
1MB, 1612x2091px
>>50189377
>>50189430
It's always been part of DnD.
>Q: One of my players wants to have a baby; what should I do?
>A: Your question had me momentarily confused. If one of your players wanted to have a baby, you, the DM, should be the last person she should talk to.
>>
>>50189617
Not gonna lie, these were hilarious.
>>
Illusionist with reality

Silent image on a wall, create a door.
Reality.
Open door and walk through to the otherside.

Works?
>>
>>50189652
You turn the handle and open the 1cm thick wooden panel you layered over the wall.
>>
>>50187893
>Lore Bards are easily the best casters in the game, bar none.
For any given spell, any purpose in casting, there's another caster who casts it better. Bards are the jack of all casting, too.
>>
>>50189395
Bump, dudes.
>>
>>50189671
A level 6 Lore bard can cast Lightning Arrow or Crusaders Mantle FAR more competently than a level 6 Ranger or Paladin, so take that back.
>>
>>50188539
Right.
>>
I like the variety of stat combinations you can get from rolling, but I like my players to have a fairly even playing field.
Array and point buy create an even playing field, but I'd like to see some of the randomness of rolling, as well as the possibility of big highs and lows.

One method I tried (not on my players) was rolling 3x 4d6 drop lowest. The first had to be re-rolled if less than 9, the second if less than 7, the third if less than 5.
The first is subtracted from 27, the second from 25, and the third from 23. The rolls and the differences are the 6 stats, arranged in any order.
9 and 27 resulted in too many 9s and 18s, but I liked the overall idea, as it meant that the sum of all stats, as well as the number of odd and even stats, would be equal for all players.

Does anybody use a non-standard method of rolling stats in their games?
>>
>>50189726
I go for 2d6+4 as the method of rolling for my games. It sets a range of 6-16, which means you can end up with some rather low stats, but it also has a decent chance of ending up with a 16 and starting with an 18 if you have the right race.

I tend to find it doesn't leave anyone too far ahead or behind the curve.
>>
>Human
>True Polymorph into elf
>Wait 500 years
>Remove True Polymorph
What happens? Am I back to being a physically 20 something human, or am I physically 520 years old and minutes away from death?
If the former, can't I just true polymorph myself every 500 years for everlasting natural life? Why don't liches do this instead of going undead if they're such great casters?
If the latter, can't I use Polymorph, either regular or True, to turn my foes into something that only lives for a minute, like some sort of insect, or into a 5000000 year old shrew? Actually, would I even need to go that far, couldn't I turn someone into a fish on dry land to kill them?
>>
>>50189726

I have them roll two sets of arrays normally, and they can choose between the two; if both sets have a total modifier below +4, they can reroll both.
>>
File: 1440070430825.jpg (6KB, 231x205px) Image search: [Google]
1440070430825.jpg
6KB, 231x205px
>be level 3 party
>all of a sudden 2 water elementals

fuck.
>>
>>50188664
Insha'Allah, brother
>>
>>50189787
Has the GM given you any kind of small bags of dust lately?
>>
>>50189768
>remove true polymoprh after 500 years
I don't think this is how it works
>>
>>50189801
GM's given us a longsword +1 and an NPC bard who got crit in the first round of combat. Combat's not looking too hot right now, to be completely honest.
>>
>>50189768
>>50189805
Yeah, wouldn't you be true Polymorphed into an Elf permanently? I suppose you could cast True Polymorph on yourself again. From there, it's a question of if you can specifically turn yourself into the young version of something.

If you can, then the thing to do is True Polymorph into Young Metallic dragons every so often.

Still raises the question of why Liches are liches and don't do that, though presumably it requires more work to get to that level of wizarding for non PCs
>>
>>50189787
You should be fine as long as you are a party of 7+
>>
>>50189842
Can't you disspell permanant magic like in 3.5, or does permanant count as instantaneous now?
>>
>>50189805
>>50189842
You know that if you get hit by dispel or walk into an anti-magic zone True Polymorph gets removed? Permanent isn't the same as instantaneous.

>>50189850
You got it right.
>>
>>50189816
What characters are you playing.

>>50189850
Permanent True-Polymorph can still be dispelled yes.
>>
>>50189669
What about pits then? if I create a pit that goes through the ground and onto a lower level, and make it real, can I fall through it to the lower floor?
>>
>>50189869
Life Cleric, Barbarian, Ranger, dead Wizard.
>>
>Kobold barbarian
>17 AC level 1, boosted at every ASI as Dex rises
>Who needs reckless attack when you have pack tactics?
>Be an angry screaming scampering impossible to hit/kill lizard with a big knife ganking people constantly
I know Dex barbarian's a meme build, but this would be really fun if it weren't for the fact you'd need 15 starting str to be able to multiclass into rogue later.
>>
>>50189701
>A level 6 Lore bard can cast Lightning Arrow
But why? I'm pretty sure a level 6 ranger can outperform Lightning Arrow by just attacking.

Anyway, level is not a qualifier in my statement. The title "jack" stands.
>>
>Polymorph target into snail
>Cast disintegrate
>Polymorph says he goes back to normal at 0 hp, alive
>Disintegrate says he vaporizes at 0 and dies immediately
>Polymorph says that a target returns to it's normal for upon death, no mention of still being alive
So how does this play out? Does the target snail die and then vaporize? Does the snail die and turn back into the original target? Does the snail die, turn back into the target, and then vaporize? Does the target turn back and then take any excess damage when disintegrate takes it to 0?
>>
I've made a homebrew intelligence-based spellcaster that builds spells on the spot from component parts.

It's still a work in progress, so I'd appreciate any feedback telling me how broken it is or what's unbalanced about it.
>>
>>50189875
Negative. If anything you will create an extradimensional pit that extends down x-feet but doesn't intersect the floor, similar to a portable hole.
>>
>>50189925
fuck

what fucking good are illusions then? you can't hurt anyone, you can't hack physics
>>
>>50189910
Moving goalposts mate, are you saying "Bards are worse spellcasters than Fighters, because a Fighter can just attack a bunch of times.".

As for your second comment, "Hurr Bards aren't good spellcasters because a level 6 bard is outclassed by a level 18 wizard.".
>>
>>50189918
Yes, disintegrating a polymorphed or wildshaped target confirms dead before changing back.
>>
>>50189918
You become polygrated, a nightmarish limbo-state between life and death in which your never dying soul will spend an eternity in
>>
>>50189931
Any attempt at creativity will be punished.
Everything except for the "create a bridge" example outlined in RAW will fail.
This is why abjuration and evocation are the best wizard archetypes.
P.S. go fuck yourself T. the GM
>>
So, I asked you guys a while ago how you guys treat player deaths. The majority answered with, "we just end up reviving the character." So, my new question to you guys is, after lengthy discussions with my own DM, how is reviving such a big thing in your campaign?

Example, we're all second level. All of our goods combined might be worth 800g total. According to the book, a revive is worth 1000G(A diamond worth 1000g). No way in hell can our party currently revive the two people we've just lost.

Do you guys just hand out revives as plot devices? Or do you just have it for free? Hand out free wish items or some shit?
>>
>>50189973
If I cast True Ressurection on such a creature's ashes, does it turn back into the shapeshifted form since that was the form's ashes, or into it's normal self?
Could that be a cool plot twist, where a rich noble wants you to revive his disintegrated pet by taking it to a wise mountain cleric far away, and then it turns out it was an elf maid that disobeyed one of the noble's friends so he polymorphed her and gave her away as a gift where she eventually died in a tragic disintegrate accident?
>>
>>50189879
You had a chance with the wizard, because cold damage slows heavily. Remember that in fights like this, you can totally cheese it a little bit.

>Ranger swings with the +1 Longsword, then spends his item interaction to throw the longsword to the barbarian, who uses his reaction to catch and wield.
>Barbarian swings with the +1 Longsword, then spends his item interaction to throw the longsword to the cleric, who uses his reaciton to wield.

That aside, either your DM wants you to run, or he has the stupid and you all die, reroll or respawn.
>>
>>50190021
A cleric can cast gentle repose on a character that was slain in combat and revive them for 300 gp.
>>
>>50190021
For my group at least, we don't tend to have people dying that early that frequently. Closest we had was the monk getting turned to stone and the Paladin getting aged by like 60 years by some ghosts after some bad saves. That was around level 3 and we still didn't spend too much curing it, though maybe we just got more gold than you.

As far as resurrections go, I prefer it be a quest rather than just a deduction on your gold income.
>>
So, /5eg/ why don't you have tiefling bard twins in your party atm? Complete with seduction.
>>
>>50190031
True Ressurection always brings back the "Base" form I think. I don't think you even need the ashes for True Res.
>>
>>50190021
I tend to play it straight (I usually do with everything as a DM). If a player dies, they're dead. If they can't get them resurrected, they stay dead. Hope someone can get them resurrected.

I do provide several opportunities to make allies, including various clerics that might be able to help, but if they decide those clerics are punks and don't befriend them, whelp, your party member is dead. Get some d6's and start rerolling. Hope your character set up a will if you had any property in the city.

Does that make me an ass? Probably.
>>
>>50190065
It's only a dick move if your players expect easy outs or otherwise come into games expecting deaths to be cheap like in most video games
>>
>>50190048
How do you revive for 300G? Gentle repose is a necromancy spell that keeps the body fresh, doesn't revive. So where does the revive for 300g come from?

>>50190056
We're playing fairly hardcore. We all agreed on it. We also agreed resurrection should be fairly rare. I'm just asking for my own knowledge, because I'm interested in seeing how other people do things.
>>
>>50190084
Yeah; I've had DMs that like that sort of thing. I've also had DMs where every character had plot armor...made me cringe.

When I DM, I actually hand out a "Here be the rules to game by" handout, so everyone starts on the same page.
>>
>>50190112
Revivify, 3rd level spell.
Learn to play cleric m8.
>>
>>50190112
Revivify, 3rd level spell; raises a dead creature that died in the last minute.
>>
>>50190112
Revivify, Level 3 Raise dead for 300gp but you have 1 miniute after they die to cast it or gentle-repose.
>>
>>50190126
Yeah; I will say, though, that I have had situations where, because I've already killed the cleric, that revivify is impossible.

Sometimes, that's how the dice crumble.
>>
>>50190084
Dead is cheap anon. There is nothing else to spend money on.
>>
I'm running Lost Mine of Phandelver next monday, tips and tricks?
>>
>>50190318
Make sure both you and the players know how dangerous the dragon in Thundertree is if they might take it on.
Seriously, that thing has a huge TPH potential if they take it on before finishing the "main quest" and hitting 5, even then it does.
>>
>>50187779
I'm in love with Illithids.
I've never once encountered one in any of my games...
>>
Are there any silly homebrews that are mechanically-sound?
>>
>>50187779
I do enjoy Gnolls. I use them as a means of foreshadowing the actual quest with the game I DM.

I'd imagine a CR30 Gnoll would just be Yeenoghu. Has that even been made/
>>
>>50190402
Yeenoghu is statted in the back of Out of the Abyss, CR 24.
>>
>>50190119
>>50190121
>>50190126
Well, sadly none of us are level three, so that wasn't a route we could have taken. But, next session we should be, so hopefully it won't be an issue any more.
>>
>>50190447
Does your group know how spell slots work? You don't get third level spells/slots until minimum character level 5.
>>
Tell me what you think is the most powerful class/archetype in 5e at levels 5, 10, and 15?
>>
>>50190447
3rd level spells come in at 5th level
If you're GM started you at 1rst level you were basically signing up for a death march. That's the level where eating a single normal hit can knock you out and a crit from a goblin means death.
>>
>>50190496
Assuming you can't multiclass, Paladin is the best class across all levels.
>>
>>50190376

But anon, don't you see?

The mind-flayers were inside you all along!
>>
>>50190516
Eh, I think Dual Wielding Battlemaster Fighter might edge out Paladin at low levels, but that quickly drops off afterwards.
>>
>>50190531
Dual wielding fighter doesn't have the crits
the sick crits
>>
>>50190496
Onion Druid
>>
>>50190447
>>50190497
Not paying much attention, had a long day.

Clearly we aren't going to have any resurrection means any time soon then.
>>
>>50190563
Onion druid?
>>
>>50190580
A guy who can wildshape into a literal onion

JK, it's actually a druid who abuses his constant animal forms as protective "layers". He also makes others cry when cut.
>>
>>50190520
That's skeletons, anon. Skeletons are inside you.
Mind flayers are still p. cool.
>>
File: EVIDENCE WHIRR.webm (889KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
EVIDENCE WHIRR.webm
889KB, 320x240px
>>50190613
>Skeletons are inside you.
>>
>>50190642
Open your mouth and look in a mirror. See those white things? Remind you of anyone spooky?
>>
File: raw.gif (59KB, 159x90px) Image search: [Google]
raw.gif
59KB, 159x90px
>>50190665
>>
>>50190613

Look up some facts on illithid reproduction anon.
>>
>>50190839
Yeah, it can really get under your skin. It'll make your brain tingle, a very consuming process to behold.
>>
File: 0 (1).jpg (154KB, 726x357px) Image search: [Google]
0 (1).jpg
154KB, 726x357px
>>50187779
>>Sheila's knickers edition
>They always turn invisible first
>>
>>50190865
>behold.
You're thinking of mindwitnesses, anon.
>>
>>50190318
IRL or roll20?

great roll20 maps/maps you could print for the important locations of LMoP.

Make sure that if you're not using the premades, all the characters are invested in helping gundren and sildar. I made the paladin a initiate in the Lord's Alliance with Sildar being his mentor, so Sildar getting captured actually had meaning for him.

the rogue was a harper who knew the paladin was a Cloak, the warlock was a Zhent agent who knew someone in the party was a harper, but didn't know who, and the barbarian was just there to party (player's request). Gave them all personal quests and it worked out great.
>>
>>50189924
If you are wondering, atleast this anon here is reading it, its pretty interesting so far, but it takes a while to comprehend and understand before I can give a deserving answer.
>>
>>50190898
whoops forget the link to the maps

http://imgur.com/a/oHWUd

https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?760586-Various-maps-I-ve-made-for-the-Starter-Set-(Lost-Mine-of-Phandelver)
>>
>>50190613
>>50190613
>>50190642
>>50190665
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7o71qV_lkc
>>
>>50190580
>0190580
>>>50190496
>Onion Druid
You're a druid who took enough barbarian to get bear totem.
>>
I'm making a PC who's going to act as leader/face of the party, which class do you recommend?

The party so far composes of a fighter tank, a rogue skill monkey, cleric healer and a pew pew pew wizard
>>
>>50189964
So salty I can taste it from here. You know what I'm saying, and you can't dispute it.
>>
Is the correct rule "damage immunities: bludgeoning, piercing and slashing from nonmagical weapons" or attacks?
>>
So, who else buys 5 pounds of salt on every character?
I always get salt.
I'd get more, but the damn carry limits make it impractical.
>>
>>50187840
Honestly they are way too close to wizards design wise, so one will always seem better than the other.
They should make sorcerer a full caster eldritch knight with Charisma casting
>>
>>50191011
Lack of sodium?
>>
>>50191003
Check the errata. I think it's attacks. Anyway, there's a definition.
>>
Volo's introduced stats for the Deep Scion, Sea Spawn and Kraken Priest. What else would be a good fit for a low level, Innsmouth-like adventure?
>>
>>50191003
Nonmagical weapons is the first printing, nonmagical attacks is the errata (and what is generally applied to BPS resistant creatures). Rarely, there's also "nonmagical damage" that covers non-attack forms of damage like dynamite and falling damage, but you can only really find that on powerful creatures like Orcus and such.
>>
>>50191029
It's so fucking useful, my man.
You can salt wounds to prevent infection if you have no healers.
You can use it to help food last MUCH longer.
You can use it to flavor food.
Depending on your setting/dm, it might have mystical properties.
You can get rid of a sore throat by mixing it with water and gargling.
You can use it for brushing your teeth in ye olden times.
You can use it as 'breadcrumbs' if you need to find your way back somewhere.
You can scatter some on spaces ahead of you when encountering invisible floors over pits.
You can put bits of it around invisible walls should you encounter the old 'invisible maze' trick.
And you can throw it in a bitch's eyes to cause searing pain and temporary (and possibly permanent in some cases) blindness.
>>
>>50189924
What are you missing since you said its work in progress? Just balance?
>>
>>50190318
Endless spider puns for the black spider fight.
>>
>>50191011
I buy cinnamon.
>>
>>50190580
End game Moon Druid and use their unlimited wild shape to constantly refresh their hp.
>>
>>50191100
Get the FUCK OUT OF THIS THREAD, YOU GOD DAMN CINNAMON-SNIFFING FAIRY.
>>
So barbarians get their strength and ability to shrug off wounds, and move faster from primal magic/strength of will magic?
>>
What if we just axed the 4 Elements monk altogether and gave them a gish archetype like Eldritch Knight? Wis-based arcane caster with a focus on abjuration, evocation, and transmutation?
>>
>>50191132
Muscle wizard with STR casting stat
>>
>>50191114
Are barbarians better than fighters as tanks?
>>
>>50191147
Fighters can have better AC at most levels, but barbarians can take way more damage before dropping.
>>
>>50191147
EKnight fighter may be better, but just generally I don't think you can beat a Bearbarian
>>
>>50191132
What if there was a Chi Wizard arcane tradition, using the 4 elements monk recreating spells with ki as precedent?
What would the features be?
>>
>>50191147
Barbarians are good if you just need them to soak up damage. They don't have AC as high as a Fighter, but in some ways that's a good thing, since if an enemy can't hit you they won't attack you.

Of course, if you want someone to actually protect your allies by stopping enemies from running past them and stuff like that, then you really want a fighter.
>>
>>50191147
20 Dex 20 Con + shield + bear totem = 22 AC and half damage. Youll hit like a noodle, but yolo
>>
Gonna start a campaign with some friends.
I'm gonna be a tomelock, and we have no Cleric. Should I be in charge of healing? What cantrips/spells should I use?
>>
>>50191207
I don't think warlocks have any sort of heals?
>>
>>50191213
He'll Book of ancient secrets (later on) and there is a wizard.
This is our first campaign. We're new
>>
>>50191229
book of ancient secrets gives rituals, tome gives 3 cantrips.

No ritual heals as far as I'm aware
>>
>>50191084
Yeah, essentially.
It was really fucked before; one guy made a Rune that dealt ~300 avg damage at 20th level you could use fairly cheaply, so that's a little broken.

I'm primarily concerned with Glyph pricing and comparisons with normal wizard spells in terms of effectiveness. I really need to add more for barriers, wards, and defenses against specific things but that'll probably come later.
>>
Would I regret going with thief instead of assassin for my archetype?

I know arcane trickster is the better of all 3 but I don't want to play a character with magic abilities.
>>
>>50191260
thief is pretty fun with inventive use of gadgets/access to said things

ball bearings, caltrops, alchemist fire, quaffing potions, all as a bonus action
>>
>>50191165
>but in some ways that's a good thing, since if an enemy can't hit you they won't attack you.
I hate metagaming orcs
>>
>>50191260
also consider swashbuckler. It's fucking great
>>
>>50191207
Make the rogue take the Healer feat
>>
>>50191287
>Thief rogue with Healer and a bunch of healing kits

huh. Actually would be a pretty effective healer, at levels 1-5ish
>>
>Cast goodberry
>Pumpkins are berries
>World's largest pumpkin is 2.6 tons
>Drop on enemy
Makes you wonder how this got past playtesting
>>
>>50191287
>>50191300
Unfortunately healing from the Healer feat is part of the feat, not part of the item, so it's technically not covered by Fast Hands.

Considering it costs a feat and three levels in rogue, it probably doesn't break anything to allow it, though.
>>
>>50191329
Will a hermit background help at all?
>>
Is the ranger really as shitty as everyone says it is here?
>>
>>50191407
It's not great. Just use revised ranger, it's a bit front-loaded but fixes most of the issues with the class.
>>
/tg/ any ideas for a backstory for a 20yo, good (alignment), half-orc barbarian?
>>
>>50191418
"Is rape and pillaging...really all there is?"
>>
>>50191418
"What is REALLY best in life?"
>>
>>50191418
His mother was an orc, and he's on a quest to find his father.
>>
>>50191310
improvised weapons only deal 1d4 damage
>>
File: itsanentiregenre.jpg (165KB, 640x899px) Image search: [Google]
itsanentiregenre.jpg
165KB, 640x899px
>>50191418
He wants to learn how to read, but he's not interested in studying for it. He's searching for a magical artifact that will simply beam the knowledge into his head.

Once he achieves his goal, he'll fulfill his lifelong dream of becoming a successful erotica author specializing in torrid human-animal affairs.
>>
>>50191329
Even then the roque can use his free disengage to actually get into position to heal.
I think its kind of funny that the feat syngerizes so well with the rogue and not with a traditionally healy class
>>
File: ii7zz.jpg (129KB, 620x933px) Image search: [Google]
ii7zz.jpg
129KB, 620x933px
>>50191418
>>50191432
>>50191437
You are a half-orc barbarian on a mission to not only free your tribe from BBEG's army but the whole land as well.

You have a strict warrior code that stops you from picking on the poor or weak yet any threat deemed worthy of your anger is fair game.
>>
>>50191444
Falling objects have their own rules for damage
>>
Aside from the classic paladin...what other class will make a good party leader? Would a Monk, Bard or ranger work?
>>
>>50191500
Anything can work, but Bards and Rangers are easy swings. The leader doesn't always have to be the "face", so it's not like Cha is a necessity.
>>
>>50191248
Just got done reading the whole thing and on a conceptual level its one of the most interesting homebrews I've ever read. As you said yourself, its primarily an offensive class and I too think a few more defensive glyphs like barriers and wards would benefit it. As for balance, its such a complex system, its hard to just see whats overpowered and whats not, so you would probably have to take that on a case by case basis as playtesting commences. I saw a few spelling mistakes that didn't really matter, but one place I would change the wording to more clearly indicate what I think you are trying to say. Under spell attack you can "divide the effect so you can essentially spread it between targets as far as I understand. I think I would use "split" instead of divide because of all the other math words used in general. At first I thought I had to divide the amount of Thread points or something. Also I would change the setence around the middle, also in Spell Attack to "(...) Spell Attack Glyphs you've applied, rounding down to the nearest Standard Damage Glyph amount applied" or something along those lines. I'm guessing what this all in all means is that you can only split it to a maximum of 4, but you also need atleast one damaging glyph to split with as well. But I think the wording I suggest would clear the confusion I atleast encountered. If you ever do update it further I would love to see the revision, I've really fallen in love with the concept.
>>
File: 9Cloud.us_0046-Zz Credits.png (72KB, 223x255px) Image search: [Google]
9Cloud.us_0046-Zz Credits.png
72KB, 223x255px
>>50191512
Also sorry for any odd ways of explaining things, Its 07:00 in the morning here where I live and I haven't slept yet.
>>
Why should I play a ranger, when I could just play an outlander rogue.
>>
>>50191532
There's not really a good reason. Easier to play a Rogue like you said and dip into Fighter for more fighting skills or Druid if you really want the nature magic.
>>
>>50191310
They appear in your hand. Other than the fact that you don't get to specify what the berry is or its size, even if you could you'd just lose your arm (at best) by conjuring 26 tons of pumpkin in your hand.
>>
>>50191432
>>50191437
I like this, a search for something more in life!
>>50191441
Doesn't work in the campaign we're going into, but ty!
>>50191466
Hilarious! ofc dinosaur erotica is a thing...
>>50191472
I think I'll go with something like this, thanks man!
If there's any other ideas out there, I'd love to hear them!
>>
>>50191310
>Enemy heals 1 HP from having a 2.6 ton pumpkin hit him from 200 ft
>>
>>50188017
Think how the famle NPC's feel? He is most likely a somewhat renown adventurer so just have the criers refer to him as "[insert name here] the pussygrabber" that'll shut him up.
>>
>>50191512
>>50191527
Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, I see what you mean about the wording. I'll give it another glance, and add some more defensive options. Keep a lookout over the weekend and I'll probably have it better suited by then.
>>
>>50188017
Well you could go down the path of vengeance and have the PC humiliated or ruin thus causing the game to be awkward for everyone and even have the player storm out.

You could just make it as part of the character and even make it as its schtick, pic very much related. Could be entertaining for everyone if done right.
>>
>>50191663
I would also add that you should talk to the player privately if its really upsetting you.

Finding middle ground and talking to a person with respect is usually the healthier solution anon.
>>
Does the Way of the Shadow have anything going for it that would make it worth picking over Open Hand? Making a monk but I know dip about monks to start with.
>>
>>50191260
Assassin and Arcane Trickster are trash unless your DM always rules surprise rounds or Illusions in your favor and fixes the Mage Hand action economy.

Thief is actually the best Rogue if your campaign will go into upper levels, it trades off boring but solid early levels for oddball magic items including Staves and Rods that make them better endgame spellcasters than Arcane Tricksters, and their capstone is more reliable and usable than anything out of Assassin.
>>
>>50191690
Pass Without Trace is god tier, their other utility spells are decent
At Will teleport
Decent stuff all around.
Open Hand is king all around though but Shadow is great if you want to be more utility than melee.
At Will teleport
>>
>>50191690
Shadow step at level 6 is extremely powerful. You use it as a bonus action which means you can teleport 60 ft then move 30 ft. If you shadow step next to an enemy you get advantage. It's insane.
>>
I'm thinking about doing a Storm Sorcerer/Tempest Cleric for my next character. Anyone ever had any luck with that combo before or have any advice for getting the most out of Booming Blade?
>>
>>50191690
They get *really* good utility spells at 3rd level that make them some of the best at sneaking in the game, and their at-will teleport at 6th is pretty good. After that it's a tossup, going rogue can net you more unless you want to focus on the monk's increasing utility.

It's not the strongest archetype in the game by any means but it is very flavorful and fun.
>>
>>50191696
To play devil's advocate:
Assassin can win initiative usually through high dex and having the alert feat.
Arcane tricksters get access to incredibly useful spells like shield, mirror image, invisibility, haste, dimension door etc. They also can get guaranteed advantage every time at lvl 13 for always on sneak attack.
>>
>>50191418
If the new Path of the Zealot is an option then you are a holy avenger, the embodiment of your god's wrath. Evil beware.
>>
>>50191809
Zealots are a great replacement for the 4e Avenger. I'd say they're more accurate than the paladin option.
>>
How is the Bladesinger? should i go with the DMG alt elf?
>>
File: kissy.png (364KB, 680x282px) Image search: [Google]
kissy.png
364KB, 680x282px
Gauth are pretty dumb lookin' but Death Kiss are cut. Look at the expression it's got on the left illustration.
>>
>>50191876
Cute. Death Kiss are cute, I mean.
>>
>>50191762
>Assassin can win initiative usually through high dex and having the alert feat.
So can Swashbuckler through having a decent Charisma that also boosts an at-will, consequence free charm as well as GFB.

>Arcane tricksters get access to incredibly useful spells
Mostly by accident, at really high levels. Some of those just aren't as useful for Rogues as you would expect.
>They also can get guaranteed advantage every time at lvl 13 for always on sneak attack.
By the time you cast Mage Hand, and take all your bonus actions to get it into place, and combat somehow still isn't over, the enemy can move 5' and never ever be affected by the Hand unless you box them in and would get Sneak Attack anyway.
>>
>>50191876
The middle one looks so shy
>>
>>50191915
>it's not like I want to drain all the blood from your body or anything, b-baka!
>>
So im new to DMing and im planning on making a campaign with 2 friends and Im not sure where to even start
should I focus on telling a story in a specific setting or more combat or what?
Also I wanted to homebrew a class that only NPCs would be part that would help drive the setting and story but I dont know how to even start and if it's too excessive
Also, how do you usually start off a campaign?
>>
File: sausage poke.jpg (287KB, 1280x642px) Image search: [Google]
sausage poke.jpg
287KB, 1280x642px
>>50191943
>So im new to DMing and im planning on making a campaign with 2 friends and Im not sure where to even start
Start small. Come up with a start and an initial area with goals and build off it from there.

>should I focus on telling a story in a specific setting or more combat or what?
The story is going to be told by your players interacting with each other and the world you describe. You shouldn't focus on telling *your* story, you should be looking at how to make the most of out the story *they* drive forward.

>Also I wanted to homebrew a class that only NPCs would be part that would help drive the setting and story but I dont know how to even start and if it's too excessive
Way too excessive. NPCs don't need classes at all, they just need the features that fit them. Just use the NPC stat blocks in the Monster Manual and Volo's Guide to Monsters where appropriate.

>Also, how do you usually start off a campaign?
I have my players come up with stuff for their characters, make sure they know each other beforehand, and then build something off of that to get it off to a natural, rolling start.
>>
Do these seem balanced to you guys. Remove +X shields.

Buckler, Gives +1AC and keeps the hand free for the purposes of holding items, loading ranged weapons, drinking potions, casting spells or interacting with objects and similar low-intensity activites.

Shield, grants +2 AC.

Tower Shield, Requires heavy armour proficiency in addition to Shield. Grants +3 AC, but the hefty bulk of the massive shield deny the user the mobility required to take advantage of the sudden openings in combat. The wielder may not take any Reaction Action.

Thoughts? Other changes I've already made are Chain Shirt is now Light, costs more, but gives disadvantage to stealth. Hide is now 13AC as the cheap medium armour. Half plate now gives 16AC, Full plate is a bit cheaper. There are a few weapon changes too.
>>
>>50191973
Yeah by story I kind of mean setting and backstory of certain locations and whats going on with the commoners and politics of the location itself
I'm definitely trying to make things as nonlinear as possible.
Thanks a lot though, im still a massive noob to this general so i expect everyone to be meaner than they actually are
>>
>>50191992
Also this change will come with a "No bullshitting" to somatic spells. No more Clerics with Holy-symbol shields, if you want to cast spells use a Buckler, be very picky about your spell list, or take warcaster.

Not sure if Tower shield is balanced, sure to most losing your reaction isn't that important but means enemies can just walk past you without concern so seems a decent trade off. Think it would be worth making it "No bonus actions" instead and possibly improving the AC another point? No bonus actions so having to use a full actions for things hurts pretty much any class but +4AC is pretty spicy.
>>
>>50191992
>Buckler, Gives +1AC and keeps the hand free for the purposes of holding items, loading ranged weapons, drinking potions, casting spells or interacting with objects and similar low-intensity activites.
A targe. You're thinking of a targe.

A buckler is a small metal shield gripped in the fist for deflecting blows.
>>
>tfw a railroading DMNPC has joined your party
>>
File: killme.jpg (67KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
killme.jpg
67KB, 800x800px
>>50191496
>For each 200 pounds of an object's weight, the object deals 1d6 points of damage, provided it falls at least 10 feet. Distance also comes into play, adding an additional 1d6 points of damage for every 10-foot increment it falls beyond the first (to a maximum of 20d6 points of damage).
>(to a maximum of 20d6 points of damage)
how you get it's entire form above them is up to you
>>
>>50192025
I was just using Buckler as a reference to what 3.5 called it, but yes Targe works better or possibly just Light Shield.
>>
>>50188452
i feel dumb trying to read this like it seems extremely complicated and a math headache. am i just stupid and reading it badly/wrong? i liked the idea of the video-gamey "mana" system as opposed to slots
>>
>>50192135
Basically there are two tables in the DMG.

Spell points convert into spells, so rather than having X 1st level spell slots, X 2nd level spell slots, ect. You'll have say, 14 points. A 1st level spell costs 2, and a 3rd level spell costs 3.

Very similar to their sorcery point system, so combine the two to give sorcerers a very versatile well of power to draw on. They can just use spells evenly and basically function as normal, they can spend their points on lots of extra low level spells in place of the higher level ones, or they can pump several points a turn into high level spell with metamagic followed by a quickened cantrip.
>>
>>50192135
Spell slots in 5e work like predivided mana anyway. Spell points just remove the predivided slots, giving you the full points to make slots on the fly.

It'll help you if you write the spell point value of each spell level next to it on your sheet. You need to spend that many to cast a spell using a slot of the given level. 2 for a 1st-level slot, 3 for a 2nd-level slot, 5 for a 3rd-level slot, and so on.
>>
>>50189363
I feel so sorry for Chris Perkins.
>>
tips for introducing roleplay to my party? roommates and i all play, DM is great and myself and one of my roommates get into roleplay about as often as combat encounters, but i feel like when we get into roleplay the other 2 roommates just get quiet or dont say much. one is very, very new to D&D so i think with time that'll fix itself, but still i'd appreciate any kind of advice on telling these guys "its okay to start nerding out, we're here for a good story" and to not be worried about sounding lame
>>
Why does it seem like its almost never worth it to cast a spell using a higher level slot (other than some 1st level spells using a 2nd level slot)?
Was this an intentional design?
>>
>>50192250
The best way to this in my opinion is whenever somone is being quiet or there is a roleplay moment, ask the players "So what is X doing right now while the others are talking to Y?" or "Does X have anything they want to add?"
>>
>>50192286
It means that even if you run out of lower-level spell slots, you're not locked out of casting those lower-level spells and you get some benefit from casting them with a rarer resource instead of none at all.

However, there are some spells (like Hold Person) that are very much worth the higher spell slot because you can target more creatures with it.
>>
>>50192296
>ask the players
should I do this, even if I'm another player? i dont want to step on people's toes i guess
>>
>>50192386
Ask your dm to do that. As a player you can try to bring them in by redirecting the conversation more organically. Ask the player in character "hey, do you remember the name of that place we did that thing?" or something else. Cooperate with the Dm and have him thank/respond to the player.

However, it might just be that they just aren't comfortable with it or don't want to do it which is fine. Some people like just watching the action, so have a talk with the players about it if they seem uncomfortable.
>>
So my Warlock constantly always has his Familiar invisible and scouting 100ft away invisibly. Tips on how to curb this so it doesn't just totally ruin every surprise ever?
>>
>>50192492
Being invisible doesn't stop a familiar from being "spotted." Flapping wings are fairly loud and a Dexterity (Stealth) check is still required. Alerting an enemy to the familiar's presence will put them on high alert, maybe even checking the way it came from.
>>
>>50192499

They're mostly wandering in the wilderness for the time being. Lizardmen are afoot, and assorted other stuff. How often would you say I should have him roll for stealth for the Imp? I don't want it to get annoying but I don't want a roll to apply for 5 hours of a day either.
>>
>>50192499

Forgot to say that he also has it transform into a crow a lot, so it doesn't really stand out in a forest.
>>
>>50192510
i would as a rule of thumb have him roll once per encounter, but sprinkle in a decoy roll here and there so they think something's there when it's not
>>
>>50192499
>implying anyone is looking for an invisible centipede or toad
>>
>>50192540
Centipedes/toads/spiders/*familiars and shit the druid can turn into* should have senses appropriate for their kind, instead of just assuming they can see like a person.
>>
>>50192444
das a nice sketch.
>>
>>50192386
I think you can do it indirectly.
If I had to give an example, in one of my past sessions as a PC, the DM has some boner for having bird familiars following us around, and I got a lucky 20 perception roll.
So, I had my low-wisdom Noble ask the quiet Cleric the following:
>"Excuse me [Wind Cleric], but I feel as if your god is watching over us, but I don't feel safe, what's the deal?"
>Silly roleplay ensues, the party eventually realizes that the chucklefuck Wizard mistook surveillance from a familiar for a blessing from the gods
It was an amusing exchange, kept the party moving along, and it prompted roleplay without stepping on the DM's toes.
>>
>>50192596

The asking anon here. When my player looks through his imps eyes when its a crow or a spider or something I describe how fucked up it makes him feel since their vision is not the same, and he isn't used to being mentally adjusted to standing on a wall or flying. Too long doing so and he makes a con check and gets too nauseated to continue if he fails.
>>
>>50192631
To be fair, the imp is actually intelligent and can report back. Especially since by familiar rules it can just fuck off into a pocket dimension and then appear back at the warlock.
>>
>>50187779
If I'm a cleric 1 wizard like 5, I have higher spell slots than I can utilize with cleric spells. Can I use a Wizard 2nd level slot to cast cure wounds as 2nd level provided it's prepared
>>
>>50192682
The actual number of slots or levels doesn't matter just trying to get a feel for multiclassing
>>
>>50192682
There's no such thing as "wizard spell slots," the amount of slots you have is based on your combined caster levels. Check the multiclassing section in the PHB.
>>
>>50192710
So taking a dip into cleric or Druid would let me cast their 1st level spells at higher level slots?
>>
>>50192715
Yes. However, you still know and prepare spells based on your individual classes, so going wizard 3/cleric 2 wouldn't give you 3rd-level cleric or wizard spells.
>>
>>50187779
So, guys.

New to 5e gming. Been gming other games, including but not limited to 3.x, and a bit of 2e, since 1999, when I was 12.

Currently contemplating a 5e ptolus campaign.

How do I convert 3.x encounters to 5e? I'd like to roughly preserve the degree of difficulty.
>>
>>50192812
Likewise, how do you handle converting over adversaries and make NPCs? Do you Nerf them for encounter balance?
>>
>>50192812
>How do I convert 3.x encounters to 5e? I'd like to roughly preserve the degree of difficulty.
There are encounter calculators for 5e already (like http://kobold.club). The guidelines they're based on are in the DMG. Rebuild the encounters from the ground up using the appropriate 5e statblock.

>>>50192812
>Likewise, how do you handle converting over adversaries and make NPCs? Do you Nerf them for encounter balance
Use an NPC stat block from the back the Monster Manual or Volo's Guide to Monsters that's close to what you want, and adjust to taste and power. Guideline for calculating monster and NPC CR is in the DMG as well.
>>
>>50192872
How easy is it too scale enemies in 5e?

If there's a start that's close, but say its cr9, and I need either cr12 or cr6
>>
>>50192896
>How easy is it too scale enemies in 5e?
5e's CR calculation is pretty involved if you want to adhere to it. In many cases it's better to add a few minions to ramp up the encounter difficulty or use a few lower-CR monsters in place of one tough one.
>>
>>50189363
Cool, I'll let the druid who keeps mingling with other panthers have a small litter of kittens.
>>
Got a question mainly discussing roll20 more than anything.

With r20 and soundcloud severing ties, I find controlling music much more cumbersome than I realized, though I had a thought: Could I use cytube to make a playlist of music and loop each video individually until the time to change demands it? Right now our solution has been to just link a yt vid and tell everyone to loop it.
>>
>>50192932
Fanburst has basically replaced Soundcloud entirely and can be used in the same way it used to be for Roll20. I used a Discord music bot for a few weeks and switched back a bit ago, it's fine now.
>>
>>50192924
Okay, but if I want a big boss fight, with a tough guy and a bunch of mooks, and the closest thing to the boss I need is the wrong cr, are there guidelines to scale him up?
>>
>>50192945
Oh shit. Thanks for the heads up. Hadn't looked at the music tab since that split.
>>
File: Capture.png (588KB, 646x416px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
588KB, 646x416px
If it's my Warlock's end goal to True Polymorph into a Pit Fiend would they retain their Warlock spell list?

I'm pretty certain you lose spellcasting if you poly into something else, however the Pit Fiend is a CHA caster as it is anyways so it seems plausible that they'd retain their Pact Magic, (At least as long as they're on good terms with their patron.)
>>
File: I accept it..jpg (51KB, 480x410px) Image search: [Google]
I accept it..jpg
51KB, 480x410px
>>50190665
>>
>>50192969
Yes, the DMG has guidelines on how to do it
>>
>>50193025
True Polymorph? No. All your stat are replace by that creature, including class feature.

Shapechange on the other hand, let you retain your spellcasting.
>>
>>50193092
Eh, I doubt the game will ever reach that point anyways and I can just substitute EB with at will fuckin' fireball if it did get there.
>>
>>50193103
> Your enemy is another pit fiend
> Immunities: Fire
>>
>>50193119
Well hey at least I'm immune to his magic too and we have to settle it like MEN.
>Fighting other Pit Fiends
>Not manipulating mortal adventurers to do it
>>
>>50193143
You're better at manipulating mortal as a non-polymorph Warlock.

Pit fiend aren't proficient in Persuasion for some reason.
>>
>>50192492
>>50192499
>>50192510
desu you should have curved his attempt to get a familiar from character creation

in the hands of an autist a familiar is probably one of the most obnoxious things in 5e. Played with a sperg once who was so fucking smug about "Heh we don't need to go in the cave, my imp will just scout it out for us XD". GM hated that guy so fucking much and everyone else in the party did too, mainly because he just killed all the fun. Got to the point were we just ignored the guy and his autisimiliar and the GM just made every roll the spergmiliar tried to do fail

takes away all the dramatic tension when you just have an invisible minion you can see and act through that is functionally immortal because who gives a fuck if it dies

plus every combat it's "Don't forget about my familiar's initiative!" then infinite free advantage for 0 cost.

triggered just remembering this stuff. Fuck familiars
>>
A while back I saw a really impressive table full of traits for Aasimar appearances. Things like "sweats blood", "bronze eyes with no irises", "chants an unknown language in their sleep". They really made Aasimar feel like biblical Angels. Does anyone have a link or know what I'm talking about?
>>
File: aasimar warriors of heaven.jpg (169KB, 1116x1440px) Image search: [Google]
aasimar warriors of heaven.jpg
169KB, 1116x1440px
>>50193318
It's from Warriors of Heaven, pg. 88. The tiefling equivalent is in The Planewalkers Handbook, pg. 80.
>>
>>50193284
what the fuck is this entire post
>>50192492
just let him do it, a party that can counter "surprises" doesn't get surprised
>>
>>50191992
>maybe we can give people a shield that doesn't turn their arm into a stump at the cost of AC!
No, just make it so their arms don't turn into useless stumps. It's a stupid ruling.
You don't have to let them reload ranged weapons but all of the other shit you listed is stuff you should be able to do with your shield arm by default.
>>
>>50193394
That's close, but it was a lot more bizarre, and they focused only on appearances; they didn't have any mechanical effects.
>>
File: 1474992984466.png (71KB, 930x951px) Image search: [Google]
1474992984466.png
71KB, 930x951px
>>50193460
this one?
>>
File: RandomTiefling.png (2MB, 1496x1932px) Image search: [Google]
RandomTiefling.png
2MB, 1496x1932px
>>50193394
I think I have that, forgot to cut out the bit that tells you how many times to roll on each list...
>>
>>50193495
YES. THANK YOU.
>>
>>50193504
Just looked it up, 5 times for abilities, 1d4 for appearance.
>>
Is there a reason most people are reluctant to start a new 5eg thread?
>>
Where can I find rules for fighting on a boat during a storm? Effects of the waves on the players and such, trying to stay standing etc
>>
Does anyone use house rules for sleeping in/out of armor?

Sleeping for 8 hours in plate mail doesn't seem particularly comfortable.
What's the best way to handle it?
Less hit dice restoration?
A Con save/check to see if they gain fatigue?
>>
>>50193569
i know it forces concentration checks but that's it
>>
>>50193607
Wave it. Just one of those things.

Games about magical hobos murdering magical shit to get magical shit, doesn't need to be autistically in-detail.

You'd also just make it even worse to play a martial, for no reason other than to sate an autistic need for realism
>>
>>50193543
Lazy niggers

>>50193433
Post horrid campaign stress disorder. Fuck familiars and fuck people named Kyle
>>
>>50189671
Bards are better at counterspell than all except for abjuration wizard at level 10.

Before level 10, bards are the best at it. After level 10, they're the second-best.

Then, they're better at 'magic quiver' than ranger because ranger doesn't even get magic quiver until much, much later.
>>
>>50193284
>>50193672
Holy fuck I know I constantly complain about familiars being fucking stupid, especially when RAI literally says 'Lol, familiars can use the help action. Why not?'
But to actually hear somebody have heard it in action....

I thought nobody would ever have done it, but they did. The fuckers.

I hate familiars so fucking much, but the worst thing is that there are people on this very general that will insist that familiars are perfectly okay and that you're a sperglord for getting angry about them.
>>
>>50192492
You'll have to give up on surprises.

Real encounters aren't just constant road ambushes anyway, there're enemies hiding behind sealed doors or past magical barriers or past warding eyes.

While it's good to remind every so often that the party has avoided a surprise, there are still plenty of other ways to surprise them.

The familiar will be unlikely to set off or notice a lot of traps, too, since they're alone.

Just be glad your player isn't using the familiar as a nigh-invulnerable helpbot.
>>
/tg/ Any ideas for a name for an orc tribe for my backstory.
>>
>>50193930
Take two words you like and mash them together.
Sexcat tribe
Baconbaby tribe
shiggy diggy tribe
>>
File: diana_and_sheila.jpg (76KB, 600x698px) Image search: [Google]
diana_and_sheila.jpg
76KB, 600x698px
>>50187779

Sh-sheila...
>>
Looking at the /tg/ character sheet, what do those triangles near the proficiency marker indicate? Just for extra visibility?
>>
>>50194146
>>50194146
>>50194146
Well, I made the new thread again...
>>
>>50193672
Do you also complain when people have high perception? When wizard cast clairvoyance to check ahead?

If a familiar scouting 100 feet ahead kill all your game tension, the problem lie elsewhere.
>>
>>50194172
>Do you also complain when people have high perception?
My GM did.

My Thief who was super paranoid from the get-go ended up with obscene amounts of perception, and had a passive perception of 4 from proficiency, 4 from expertise, 4 from Wisdom (because fuck you) and observant giving me +5, landing my passive perception at 27. Even a single person had to be super lucky to go unnoticed by me, and a group had 0 chance of sneaking up on me, as, say, a group of 5 would ALL need to roll above my passive perception to spot me.

Yet the GM just started giving them bullshit advantages and ridiculously high sneak bonuses, to the point where we got ambushed by 7 heavy armoured mercenaries.

Some GMs get the idea that they should try to break any advantage the players have. Don't fucking do that. You can't ambush us, so throw different encounters at us, or don't fucking allow us to make a character focused on never being possible to ambush.
>>
What is the best way to play a necromancer?

Conversely, what is the best way to play some sort of fiend-summoner?
>>
>>50190874

>reverse google image search brings up festival foods
Thread posts: 361
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.