[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Knights and paladin spend their training days as squires,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: hqdefault[1].jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
21KB, 480x360px
>Knights and paladin spend their training days as squires, cleaning out the barns of their lords, learning about etiquette and mannerisms, learning the rights and duties of the lower nobility, learning how to dance with and court noble ladies and debutantes, learning basic strategy and leadership skills as well as devoting themselves to religious study
>They are among the best warriors in the realm

>Wizards spend their training days exclusively studying magical spells
>They're weaker than even mere peasants
There's no non-meta justification for this.
>>
>>50144715
>Knights and Paladins
First off, that's just knights who do that. Paladins most likely spend their time reading Holy scripture, learning the Philosophy and theology of their lord, and meditating when not being goody two shoes.

Second, Knights are exclusively from noble houses that would teach that shit to their children, regardless of whether or not they were going to be a knight. Wizard's can come from all walks of Life, ranging from prince to pauper, as long has they have, or can gain, the ability to obtain magical textbooks and the time to study them.

Thirdly, Peasents are not inherently weak. They do hard labor all day, erry day, they get lean muscle for it. Sure they aren't exactly beefy McBuffHuge, but don't underestimate them.

Fourthly, magic spells are Bitchin as fuck and who needs strength when you can have golems/homunculi/enslaved demons/skeletons to do all your tasks for you. Good wizard can live In more comfort than anyone else.

Finally, Knights are over-rated and your job can be done better by a Man-at-Arms lowborn. Fighters and Barbarians FTW.
>>
>>50144715
>I've been reading these books, but I just can't seem to get any muscle or dance properly. Maybe if I read more books

In other words: they receive different training
>>
File: Knight And Squire.jpg (189KB, 677x1010px) Image search: [Google]
Knight And Squire.jpg
189KB, 677x1010px
>>50144715
>squires, cleaning out the barns of their lords, learning about etiquette and mannerisms, learning the rights and duties of the lower nobility, learning how to dance with and court noble ladies and debutantes, learning basic strategy and leadership skills as well as devoting themselves to religious study

You forgot the important parts that define knighthood. Squires serve in the field alongside their masters, engage in the most advanced and intense combat training in the world starting from a very young age, and formally become knights at their physical prime. They constantly continue training throughout their service, through regular drills, hunting exercises, tournaments, jousts, and through the performance of their normal duties.

>Starting wizards are physically weaker than peasants
In muh dnd, they usually get the same hit die and similar weapon and armor proficiencies. At the same time, would you expect a bookworm to be as robust as someone who probably does hard labor for a living? That said, not all peasants are manual laborers or soldiers, so I'm not sure how useful it is to generalize in that regard.
>>
>>50146050
My point is that knights and paladin also do a lot of "bookish" stuff and things not relating to combat, but still find the time to train and fight. There's no reason why mages couldn't do the same, other than game balance.

>At the same time, would you expect a bookworm to be as robust as someone who probably does hard labor for a living?
That's a paladin: a bible dork who can smack you in the face with his bible hard enough to dislocate your jaw... if you're lucky.
>>
>>50146103
And yet scholars and doctors, the closest real life equivalent to wizards were not as good at combat as a knight. Taking sword and buckler lessons while you are at university is not the same as being raised as a warrior.
>>
>>50146103
Yes but the paladin just has the one book. It might be a good book, but the wizard probably has access to numerous jaw-slapping books, some of which could summon doppelgangers to shift some of the manual book-slapping load off the wizard.
>>
>>50146103

your a faggot
>>
>>50144715
>A football player goes to university, same as a computer jockey
>They should have the same physical statistics
Your grip on reality is tenuous.
>>
>>50146103
Anon you're responding to here. I'll let you know how I think of it.

A knight (or at least when knights were important parts of warfare), is someone whose focus is squarely on combat. Most of their time goes toward their bodies, preparing for competitions, and training their ability to conduct themselves in battle. Their induction into the lower nobility is a cultural matter and does not necessarily make them very knowledgeable, smart, or sophisticated. The reason chivalry was invented at all was because knights often acted like entitled brutes. Between all of that and the many duties that a squire takes on (following a master, helping him don armor and maintain weapons, keeping his steed in working order, etc), I can't imagine one would have all that much time for other pursuits. A hobby or two might be appropriate, but it seems unlikely that such a warrior would also become an expert in any particular field.

A wizard is someone whose focus is on academics, or something analogous to it. The training a wizard goes through is kind of like a PhD program or other grad-school endeavor: very intense and time-consuming, leaving next to no time for anything else. Between hours spent perfecting his magical technique, memorizing magic theory and practice, and performing slave-like labor for his master, a wizard's friends might not see him for months, and an apprentice-wizard could easily succumb to depression or anxiety disorders from overwork. Again, I think that a wizard would have time for perhaps one or two hobbies, maybe even a brief conscription, but not the kind of training that produces a skilled or capable warrior.
>>
File: Most Euphoric.gif (3MB, 325x183px) Image search: [Google]
Most Euphoric.gif
3MB, 325x183px
>>50146103
>That's a paladin: a bible dork who can smack you in the face with his bible hard enough to dislocate your jaw... if you're lucky.
That's a Cleric anon. A Paladin is a Soldier who listens to the cleric, says his prayers, and shouts "Deus Vult" while smiting heathens.
>>
>>50146451
Even in places where having a certain level of wealth required you to own weapons and armour so you can be called up it was very rare for urban professionals to actually be summoned except to defend their town. Most leaders prefer men at arms and professional mercenaries when they need to go fight a lot of the time.

And a wizard would probably be more useful for his magical powers there anyway.
>>
>>50144715
Yeah maybe in games with boring wizards.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.