[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does tg feel about Dread? Its the horror rpg where you play

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 14784982862681162606392.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
14784982862681162606392.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
How does tg feel about Dread? Its the horror rpg where you play jenga and losing means death. Also prop thread
>>
>>50140529
Easy to explain to people, good bait to trick your friends into playing rpgs with you later, its fun
>>
>>50140529

Sounds like a great idea, but the few live plays I've seen it didn't seem to be very engaging in practice.

And usually people die early on and just don't get to play anymore, which is usually a shitty mechanic.
>>
>>50140597
Yeah thats definitely a problem I ran into. But I dont think any other horror session has been as engaging. Idk I have creeped out my players but I want to be more interactive
>>
>>50140529
Love Dread, run it at con's. Great for quick one-shots, even with people with no RPG experience.
I avoid killing people off quickly in the beginning. Meaning not getting a ton of pulls straight away. Some to let them know how the game works and then when it's thematically sensible. Later on the tower WILL get unstable and people start to sweat. It's ok if it collapses only once or not even then, the point is the fear of the collapse. And when it does collapse, ramp up the heat so the tower gets unstable quickly again.
Also if someone fumbles early on, don't just kill them. Keep them involved as a dead-man-walking, or if plot allows it, make them into the bad guy. (no more pulls for that guy though)

Also, love props. I'm running Delta Green and spend a lot of time creating all sorts of documents for the agents to receive from A-cell and to find during investigations. Definately suits investigative / horror games.
>>
>>50140686
I think this sounds like the kind of game where having the proper atmosphere IRL is critical. Low lights, eerily quiet... makes the physical action of removing blocks a lot more terrifying, and if you have some sort of table that makes a lot of noise when the blocks come tumbling down on it, that would really be great.

As for dead characters just being cut out entirely, maybe that would be alleviated if there was some way for them to cause problems for the surviving characters. Maybe they gain a villain character or maybe they are in charge of random mishaps (possibly hauntings)...

I've never heard of this game but I'm already pretty psyched. It's just too bad that I'm only learning about it the week after halloween, because I would have loved to have run this game for some friends on halloween
>>
>>50141240
I ran one the day after halloween. I had a ten player session and it went about as well as youd expect. But the lights were off and it was suitably creepy when the baked guys werent being obnoxious. Plus being drunk and high makes you shit at jenga.

Being totally out of the game meant my serious gamers were left and the atmosphere got serious. Im kind of proud I got the last two to commit suicide rather than try to carry on.

It doesnt natter what time of year, if you have a scary story just tell it. Or I can upload mine. We did an abandoned mental hospital that was secrectly part of a SCP style company
>>
>>50141240
Atmosphere does play a high role in Dread. This can be enhanced by lighting, music, sound effects and house rules such as silence when blocks are being pulled.
Also player attitude is critical, if there's people not invested in their characters well-being or who just don't care what's going on it's going to ruin it for the others too. But you get a few guys who play at the edge of their seats... Dread can be really good.

Also there's a part about letting dead people continue playing in the rules called dead-man-walking. This should be done only if somone dies early on. Basically it means that the guy is dead but still in the game. He doesn't pull blocks and his point is to die at a dramatically suitable moment. I like this, because not every spot is easy to explain being lethal. Lockpicking a door a fumble? Just let him know his lucky lockpick broke and he got shivers up his spine and later on when nobody expects it make a monster pull him screaming into the shadows.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.