[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, /tg/ What IS the level of technology available in the Imperium,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: adeptus mechanicus.png (228KB, 395x227px) Image search: [Google]
adeptus mechanicus.png
228KB, 395x227px
Hey, /tg/
What IS the level of technology available in the Imperium, from scratch? I get that technology to them is hand-me-down schematics, voodoo playing with machine spirits and bureaucracy refusing to try anything new or whatever, plasteel and adamantite dominate..

but do they still use copper and similar conductors for little things? Is education wide enough available so colonists on offworlds or hive worlds could learn how to build simple analog, maybe even digital devices from smelted metal, silicon and etc?

Clearly the Imperium isn't going to be building shit out of graphene or stringing buckyballs into monomolecular garroting wire, that sounds too advanced. But is it feasible that a colony world could innovate technology before the ecclesiarchy or adeptus mechanicum either robs them blind or burns their technology institutions to the ground/puts the discourse into line with Emprah approved tech?

I mostly ask for writing fluff. It's for a planet with shit for metals, so they try and compensate their lack with glass, bricks, ceramics and maybe graphene.
>>
>>50129372

Despite what the mememasters of tg will tell you the imperium isn't retarded. Nor is the Cult Mechanicus retarded. The admisistratum...okay they might be retarded. They are technologically speaking, a lot more advanced then us over all. As far as individual worlds it depends on what kind of world it is. Obviously if you end up on a fuedal world or a feral world, well then they ain't got shit. But Civilized on up they probably have some nice shit. That being said innovation IS dangerous in setting, depending on what you are innovating.
>>
>>50129441
In-setting, mining for more metal for conductors is economically unfeasible, as they can't devote the manpower nor guarantee they'll maintain the land. The only metals the civilization have left come from their colony ship that was used to bring their ancestors there, 10K+ years ago. So, they're forced to find alternatives. They're mostly nomadic and maintain a very efficient oral history of science. Making things piecemeal out of tempered glass or carbon is all they've really got.

So imagine someone took a standard issue Lasgun and replaced both the battery and the operating mechanisms with on-world built duplicates. It's still a lasgun, but they can afford to lose it if it breaks and it's just proprietary enough that nobody else on-world can figure out how to recharge it.

Little Commodore 64 computers and microcontrollers made using graphene and vacuum tubes, for some 1960s classic rayguns n'shit. Stuff that'll burst apart like a halogen bulb if broken but is otherwise as solid as a metal gun.

They were forced to use renewable materials because about the most abundant and only truly guaranteed thing they'll have is dirt, anywhere they go. Dirt, and fire.
>>
>>50129441
>said innovation IS dangerous in setting, depending on what you are innovating.
To expound upon this anon a little the geometry of what have you is extremely important. Certain geometries can increase the likelihood of daemonic possession of the thing in question. Some can outright summon gaping rends in reality if something specific happens to them. This is part of why it takes so long for the AdMech to design and vet new designs.

I can't remember where anymore but I remember reading about a hive world that went into rebellion or something and a ton of the population was killed in the streets. Turns out the concentric spokes the hive was designed as acted as a giant summoning circle and I think you can figure out where this is going.
>>
>>50129560

This sounds fairly benign for the most part. Out of curiosity what is the fluff for? Your dudes? A Rogue Trader or Dark Heresy campaign? plain old Write Faggotry? in all three cases you'll find that pretty much everyone plays fast and loose with cannon.
>>
>>50129819
It's indeed fluff for my dudes in some write faggotry, in general WH40K. It could fit Rogue Trader OR Dark Heresy.

See, I'm writing what life is like trying to survive on a daemon world, where your natural resources, be they wood or meat, have to be sanctified in some way before you can even use them. Else, like >>50129744 says, you'll accidentally make a carbon knife with a malicious face on it that wants to fly out of your hand, howl like a lunatic and stab you in the dick. For Khorne.

When your everyday life is a gaping broken dyke to the warp and you get results for shoddy geometry sooner than others, it's easier to.. shall we say.. research and deveop against chaos and the warp. They absolutely have to. They can't afford not to.

Muh dudes still believe in the Emprah and the general holyiess of mankind, but they also believe the Imperium has forsaken them and it's their duty to not only survive but be right stubborn assholes in the face of chaos.

They also have a companion species of intelligent birds. They're chill Kroot who are both amused by and sympathetic to the colonials, acting as mounts and messengers when their civilization yet again gets upended and they're forced to find a pasture to make green for a season again.
>>
>>50130061

Well the imperium and Admech are not entirely opposed to Inovation in the face of opposition and adversity. See Ryza in the Admech codex for an example of this. That being said your concept is a little more extreme then i had once realized. Also not sure you understand what a Deamon world is in 40k, cause if that's a Deamon world then its the most benign one i've ever heard of.
>>
>>50130116
I assure you, it's every bit the daemon world as you imagine. 'Benign' is relative. Some daemon worlds have all the human occupants as slaves, others have them as gladiators, others have them as a giant prayer dance that stretches across the planet.

The theme of the planet is that it's deprived and just antagonized. There's little metal, there's little anything. There could conceivably be resources, if only they could settle in a place and start industry.. which they have the knowledge to do.. but they cannot fight off chaos or daemon incursions of size to overwhelm them. It's like Slaanesh and Khorne are edging them off while they negotiate the precarious balance of a safe harbor, half hoping the forces don't know they're there, half hoping they're too busy fighting one another.

Every 10 years, roughly 10-15% of the population will fall to chaos, be killed or taken as slaves. The vast majority of the human population on that planet are slaves, warriors for chaos or food for something evil.

But yes, as far as daemon worlds go, they're as deprived of resources and numbers as the human colonies themselves. Whether it's resource deprivation or simply feasting on the uncorrupted terrans psyches suffering under their bullying that stops them from getting wiped out is left up in the air. Any time they seem to start making progress on erecting defenses to establish permanent territory or finding a way off the planet, it seems to blow up in their faces.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.