[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Maybe this is the wrong forum, but DnD so... I've been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

Maybe this is the wrong forum, but DnD so...

I've been tasked by a friend to convert horse power into duck power. It sounded easy at first but I'm stuck. I've barely gathered any data and I can't think of how to move on.

1 Horsepower = ~750 Watts or 550 foot-pounds per second

A duck in DnD 3.5 has a strength attribute of 3. This is my best lead (The silly nature of this task leads me to assume that I can use "According to DnD" logic). But I don't know how to play DnD. I was figured maybe a players character of a particular strength can only hold weapons under a certain weight like in some RPGs, but I don't know if that's true and if it is how do I find out what weight that is?

If you have another lead, I'd be glad to hear it. I was thinking maybe Pokemon might be looking into?

Of course, I'd prefer real world data, but I couldn't find any. I guess no one has ever tested how strong their duck was.

Pic only semi-related
>>
>>50125368
IDK if you're still here or if this might help, but in the most recent edition of 5e, carrying capacity is calculated by 15* strength score. The limit for what you can push, drag, or carry is twice that number. So, say a duck has 3 str- it can carry 45 lbs. It can push/pull/carry 90 lbs.

For comparison, a Draft Horse has 18 str. It can carry 270 lbs, and push/pull/drag 540 lbs.

Of course, there's no actual statblock for a duck in 5e's monster manual, but you could probably use the 3.5e statblock just fine.
>>
File: Turtle_Duck.png (195KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
Turtle_Duck.png
195KB, 500x333px
>>50125368
I take it you're not going to attach ducks to mill wheels to measure their horsepower?

For the purpose of a game where I'm not a complete madman, I'd just take a ratio of duck's medium carrying capacity (10lb for a 3 strength tiny bipedal creature) to that of a heavy horse (400 lb as per statblock), and take that as the horsepower they can output. That would be 1/40 horsepower, which still sounds a little high.

I think I would also multiply that by the ratio of their medium-encumbrance movement speed. A heavy horse moves 35 feet in that condition (it's 50ft unencumbered), and I don't know what a duck's land speed is. If we assume the duck moves at 5ft per round while encumbered, then the ratio of movement is 1/7, leaving the duck at 1/280 horsepower.

tl;dr: With extremely crude back-of-the envelope calculations and a shaky understanding of what horsepower actually represents, I propose that it should take 280 ducks to generate 1 horsepower.
>>
In GURPS, a duck can push a 7-kilogram object across a relatively smooth surface at approximately one meter/second. My knowledge of physics is very rudamentary, but going by those (incredibly ballpark-y) figures, that duck is putting out about 7 watts, or roughly one-hundreth of the horsepower of an actual horse.

>tl;dr
>One duckpower = 0.9333 horsepower
>One horsepower = 107 duckpower

Hitching those ducks up to a wagon or plow would have its own issues, of course, if only because of the difficulty in getting over 100 mallards to walk in the same direction... in unison... carrying a weight on their backs.
>>
>>50126295
>So, say a duck has 3 str- it can carry 45 lbs. It can push/pull/carry 90 lbs.
You forgot size modifiers. A tiny creature can carry half, and a large creature can carry double.

So the duck would carry 22.5 pounds, and pull 45 pounds. A horse would carry 540 and pull up to 1,080 pounds.
>>
>>50126391
>One duckpower = 0.9333 horsepower
And that's a typo; it's 0.009333 horsepower. I originaly wrote out the differences as percentages (One DP = 0.9333% of one HP) and changed it later.
>>
>>50125368
In D&D 3.5, a horse (heavy) is a large quadraped with a Strength score of 16-18 (depending on combat training). This gives it a light load of 230-300 pounds.

A 3.5 duck is a tiny biped. With 3 Strength, it has a light load of 5 pounds.

Thus, 1 horsepower = 46-60 duckpower.
>>
>>50125368
That show was pretty great.
>>
>>50126425
/tg/ getting shit done!
>>
>>50126425
Wouldn't the creature's speed have an impact on horsepower?
>>
>>50126400
If you put 20lbs on a duck you'll kill it.

>>50126425
This sounds about accurate
>>
>>50130274

Not directly. Horsepower is a measure of strength, while speed is a result of strength applied against weight and resistance.
>>
File: 1456903255863.jpg (46KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1456903255863.jpg
46KB, 640x480px
>>50131523
No, horsepower is a measure of power. Strength is a very vague term that means whatever the DM wants it to mean.

The difference might seem pedantic, but it's really not. Power is work/time.
1 horsepower is equal to 550 foot*pounds/second. That means that it takes 1 horsepower to raise 550 pounds 1 foot in a second. Alternatively,you could lift 1 pound 550 feet in one second. Either way, it is a HUGE amount of power (compared to human power output)

>>50126307
>1Hp=280 Dp
>>50126391
>1Hp=107 Dp
>>50126425
>1Hp=46-60 Dp

None of these faggots even showed their math. We're going to work this out better.
Firstly, let's get our values
1DP= ?
1HP= 550 (ft*lb/s)

I don't have a bunch of ducks to strap to a millwheel, but you said this is for D&D, so we can just use those stats. Most horses have a STR score between 15 and 20. We can take 17 as our horse STR value. No ducks, but ravens have STR score of 2, so let's use that.
Hstr=17
Dstr=2
For light load comes out to
Hlift=Hstr*5=17*5=85
Dlift=Dstr*5=2*5=10

Move for a horse is 50ft/6sec=8.3ft/s
Move for a duck is probably about 20ft/6sec=3.3ft/s

Hspd=8.3 ft/s
Dspd=3.3 ft/s

Now to convert that into power
Hp= Hlift*Hspd=85*8.3=706 ftlb/s
Dp=Dlift*Dspd=3.3*10=33 ftlb/s

This is actually surprisingly close to the actual value, given how abstract D&D is a lot of the time. We can assume that both of these values are a bit on the high side, given that the system is set up to allow PCs to carry whatever they want. Let's make a coefficient to convert the real value

Game Horsepower/RL Horsepower=Power Modifer
((706 ftlb/s)/(550 ftlb/s))=
1.28=

Game Duckpower/Power Modifier Coefficnt= RL Duckpower
((33 ftlb/s)/(1.28))=
26 ftlb/s=

Thus
1 Duckpower=26 ftlb/s
And the ratio between duck and horsepower is:
1Horsepower=21 Duckpower
QED
>>
File: Jay and Silent Bob.gif (2MB, 424x232px) Image search: [Google]
Jay and Silent Bob.gif
2MB, 424x232px
>>50132775
>No, horsepower is a measure of power.

You are technically, correct ,sir. The best kind of correct! I concede the point.
Also, 5 star post, man.
>>
File: 1474117035098.jpg (16KB, 255x204px) Image search: [Google]
1474117035098.jpg
16KB, 255x204px
>>50132775
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.