[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Vidyaclone character edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 408
Thread images: 20

File: Undyne.jpg (50KB, 564x846px) Image search: [Google]
Undyne.jpg
50KB, 564x846px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Volo's Guide to Monsters is in the Mega. Be sure to buy it and support the hobby even if you download it!

Question of the thread, have you ever successfully used, or seen a player use a character who is clearly a rip off of an anime/vidya character without it being immediately called out or a genuine trainwreck. Pic related for a Spear wielding Triton Vegeance Paladin.

Secondary question, what is the next character you are most itching to play?
>>
>>50111887
I haven't seen any blatant rip-off characters in-game yet, but I've had a few people put forward applications that are described as 'the blind monk from Marco Polo'.

I just want to play a barbarian, nothing special, I like barbarians.
>>
Are there any first-party rules for settlement construction and management yet? I've been out of the loop for a while and want to run a Kingmaker-esque hexcrawler game.
>>
>>50111887
I really wanted to play a goblin rogue but I'm not sure I should do it. There seems to be a lot of overlap between their abilities.

Some Forgotten Realms lore questions for other characters I want to play;

Are there any wizarding schools in the world? I'm not thinking about something like Hogwarts but more something like Unseen University.

Is it possible to be a cleric for a dead god and still have powers and stuff?
>>
>>50111794
>Does this passive perception just make it so that they have a constant radar that makes them always pick up on things?
yes
>Aren't "scanning" checks like that specifically for class skills, like that paladin "divine sense" and stuff?
yes, you need to find the object first before you can check it with arcana
>There were other examples too; they would "roll to persuade," but I thought you had to basically attempt to persuade, then roll if it works.
to be honest senpai I'm not smart or charismatic enough to come up with some long winded convincing speech to warm the heart every time I want the barmaid to suck my dick so a lot of the times it comes out as "suck my fucking dick" then persuasion roll
it's fine to just roll persuasion without thinking up what you actually say as long as it's not some heated plot moment where you're trying to convince the BBEG to come over to the good side
>>
Personally I want to play a Dwarf Battlerager, mostly becuse one autistic player at our table is such a grognard who has to be the center of attention who demanded that he gets to play a half-orc Luchador because he is clearly the only person who has seen Los-Tiborion. So we help him build a 5e Grappler and show him how to be effective and he immediately gets outright tantrumy when the DM won't let him jump 40ft into the air to suplex flying enemies, and the odd time when the GM does allow his idiocy, he gloats like he is the biggest badass for the rest of the session because the GM let him jump out of a window onto an enemy. Meanwhile in combat he gets bored of grappling since he lacked the cognitive capacity to understand how grapples and shoves worked effectively so just made unarmed attacks at everything for 1d4 damage, asked the GM if he could "Dual wield fists" can get an extra punch as a bonus action instead of grappling, then got bored and started using his greataxe and eventually asked the GM if he could swap his feat for great weapon master because grappling sucks. He then claims the Holy Great-Sunsword we got as our end-of-quest loot from our Paladin because "The Paladin gets smites so he doesnt need more damage so the free damage on the greatsword will be better for me." which our nice-guy paladin let him have, he then constantly gloats about how much damage he does with his sword and all the dice he rolls are amazing.

So out of sheer spite, I want to in our next campaign play a real grappler and be an effective control element for our team. Does this make me a That-guy? I mean I want to play the class because it looks fun but at least 40% of the reason is because "Hey, look how effective grappling can be when you're not a manchild."
>>
>>50111942

Ugh that point about the passive perception shit sucks

He's been getting at me for not mentioning shit in rooms like barrels that had gunpowder in them because "my passive perception would have smelled those." I hate that he's right apparently.

I'm not asking for speeches either, just something other than
>I roll persuasion
>What do you want to persuade her about?
>Well...
>>
>>50111968
I mean, I don't think that'd make you That Guy, but for all I know I could be That Guy, so don't take my word.

How would you put together an effective grappler?
>>
>>50111968
Just don't get in his face about it (too much). That Guy sounds like an immature dick though.
>>
>>50111934
>Are there any wizarding schools in the world? I'm not thinking about something like Hogwarts but more something like Unseen University.

I'm not very good at lore but i think candlekeep is like that.
>>
File: 1473224202613.jpg (2MB, 2000x2400px) Image search: [Google]
1473224202613.jpg
2MB, 2000x2400px
>>50111887
I've been wanting to play a BB swashbuckler since the hit and run aspect of it seems really fun but I'm not really sure about the character itself. I was thinking about some type of Inquisitor, which then lead to me to think about multiclassing with paladin.

Any of you guys successfully multiclassed rogue and paladin?
>>
>>50111987
I feel like there are a couple of schools of thought about this, but I fall firmly in the 'you must clearly state your intent before rolling' camp.
>>
>>50111794
Generally to "Scan the area" for magic, you need Detect Magic spell avaliable. If you have the object in your hand then perhaps if it was obviously magical you might allow an Arcana check to identify some properties, but ideally you'd need both detect magic and an arcana check to go "Oh, these runes on this sword mean it is a key to some kind of magical lock, I thought the abjuration aura was quite unusual for a blade."

Passive perception isn't quite an "Aura of I'm constantly scoring 14 on my perception, show me all the things baby." it's more "My perception DC is 14 or anyone trying to sneak past me without me actively being on watch.".

Also keep in mind, Perception is the skill for finding creatures, noises, people and such, if it's a check of noticing the key on the floor underneath the rocking chair, or the hidden compartment in the back of a treasure chest, or the pressure plate to trigger a dart trap, that is an investigation skill, which does have a passive investigation so I imagine that is the "Constant radar of I have passive 18 show me everything obvious below 18 as soon as I walk in." which is a little lame considering a character with observant would easily have a passive investigation of 22+ and automatically spot any trap.

Although passive rolls might only apply to obvious things, finding a secret door, hidden trap or even an object inside a container might require you to at least say "I start checking the walls/closets/floors carefully" before you let them autospot anything below their passive.
>>
>>50111887
>have you ever successfully used, or seen a player use a character who is clearly a rip off of an anime/vidya character without it being immediately called out or a genuine trainwreck.
Every time I see it done it's cringey on top of being a trainwreck. Everyone stops viewing your character as your character and starts viewing them as the thing you ripped off.
>Willhelm, Halfling Thief, set out to make money for his family when the shire's economy went downhill
>Peace, Tiefling Bard, an honest soul who wishes to spread joy through music as her mentor once did for her
>Grak, Half-orc Ranger, on a quest to find his missing father
>Shaggy, Human Monk, investigating mysteries, acts as the parties driver using his Mystery Wagon, has a pet dog named Scooby
>>
>>50111794
Arcana checks are not "sense magic". That's what the spell Detect Magic is for. Rolling Arcana is especifically for recalling lore about magic items, other planes of existence, magical creatures, spells, etc. But it's merely for recalling lore. There's a few other uses, like controlling a Sphere of Annihilation, but that's not important in this matter. Basically the players have to discover if something is magical either by interacting with it in ways that would show its magical nature, casting detect magic/identify, or spending a short rest focused on the item (which gives them the benefits of identifying something). Arcana is for AFTER they discover something magical, to recall what it may be. For magical items I recommend DC 15 for Uncommon, 20 for Rare, etc, going up in increments of 5 for each tier of rarity.

Passive perception is a thing that everyone has. Basically it says how much a character is aware of his surroundings without having to actively search for anything. Basically what you do is: if there's anything sneaking up on the party, they have to roll Stealth checks and beat (or tie) the passive Perception of the PCs. Same things for PCs sneaking up on unsuspecting creatures. If it's an ambush, everyone whose passive Perception was beat by the ambushers is surprised at the beginning of combat.

Speaking of which, yes, you need something to block line of sight of whatever you're trying to hide from, be it cover, darkness, tall grass, whatever.
>>
>>50111995
He is, we play with him because we've all been "friends" for years and years but he is an immature dick who genuinely gets physically angry when the enemy dragon we were fighting kept flying out of his reach and avoiding his melee attacks. Ending his rage because he preferred dashing to keep in contact rather than attacking with a javelin.

>>50111994
Dwarf Battlerager seems to be great start, Grapple-Shove gives a great deal of lockdown on foes and with extra attack you can do both of these in one round then hit them with your armoured spikes. For rounds where you don't want to shove or grapple, or only need to do one of them, a versatile battleaxe swings for decent damage. And once they are prone, you can swing with free advantage with the battle axe one handed twice and spikes once. Since you're making free attacks and getting advantage of prone you don't need to "Reckless attack" every single turn so your AC is actually a relevant number and you'll only really throw out the odd reckless attack for the battlerager temp HP.
>>
>>50111918
Honestly I wouldn't have any problem with someone playing a straight up clone of Hundred Eyes.
>>
>>50112053
Have you considered sneaking some bleach into his coffee? Sounds like he could use it.
>>
>>50112003
I haven't tried it, but DEX Paladins are fine, at least. You're probably going to have to start with Paladin because the multiclass requirements for Rogue are less harsh.

I would expect taking a few levels in rogue with many levels of paladin would be best, for spell slots and great auras and stuff.
You can get a lot out of a few levels of rogue if you aren't going for more and more sneak attack damage- cunning action and fancy footwork will be useful, and 2d6 SA is nice.

Another option is possibly going straight DEX Pally, and taking the mobile feat at level 4.(Vengeance Wood Elf Paladin for maximum chasing them down, to refer back to the OP subject, she could be Maeiv Shadowsong from Warcraft3)
>>
>>50111994
Another good grappler build I've seen was a Battlerager with Tavern Brawler, wielding a shield and a bare hand. Shoving Prone, Punching people for 1d4+Str damage, Grabbing them as a bonus action without having to rage for your extra attack. Or just fighting normally grabbing and using Armoured spikes, After people are grappled, Punch Punch Stab. With the feat you have a little more versitality in your options and lets you use a shield for a further +2 armour.
>>
>>50111987
So 2 things here

1st is explain to your players that you ask for rolls, they ask to do stuff.
I roll persuasion is a no
Can I try and persuade the guard to let me pass is a yes.

2nd is to remember the difference between perception, investigation and character knowledge.

So passive perception is stuff that their character would notice.
Perception is stuff that they have to look for, although I would ask for perception if they are on actively looking such as being on guard duty when camping.
Investigation is looking for clues and making deductions.
And character knowledge is stuff that their character would or might know

In your black powder barrel example

Enter room, brief description of room, unless they are hidden mention barrels. If the players have high enough passive perception then mention that the room smells of charcoal (I think that's what old gunpowder smelt like, if I'm wrong substitute smell). If they don't have high enough passive perception and they were looking for the barrels, roll perception. Otherwise there is no need for perception anymore. If they don't act on the smell, then leave it, if they do then get them to roll investigation to find the smell and if they find it to deduce what it is. Now depending on the character and setting, they may have encountered or heard of a powder like that before so depending on that eithr tell them what it is from the deduction or make a a History check (or just use the investigation check from earlier).

If you don't follow what I mean, I've probably written in badly but that's how I'd handle the situation.
>>
>>50112031
>>50112014
>>50112006

Thanks, that's really helpful.

Maybe I'll show him them posts and blast them with the wise words of my secret internet club.

But yeah, that's what I was thinking. I do wish they would just play their characters more instead of always trying to "solve" encounters.
>>
>>50112078
If your GM is permissive, you can go Varient half-elf with Woodelf Heritage, giving you the +5ft movement speed on the +1 Any, +1 Any, +2 Charisma statline that is great for Paladins.
>>
>>50112087

I get your point, it's just that those barrels weren't exactly a serious focus in the room, so I didn't have any numbers or anything planned for them. Amongst many other things, I mentioned the barrels and crates lining the room (in a warehouse), figuring that if someone decided to check out the barrels, they'd find a fun thing to throw at the bad guys. This player was upset that I didn't immediately tell them about the gunpowder in the barrels because of their passive perception.

I was mad; it's like I'm supposed to fill in sensory information for him.
>>
>>50111932
There's a little bit in the DMG.

I actually ran Kingmaker in 5e by substituting monsters from the Monster Manual and multiplying the skill checks by 2/3. It lasted through book 3 and then the party proceeded to take their power gamed kingdom and curbstomp the whole region. We ended early with a cool dragon fight during a royal wedding.
>>
>>50112078
You need ability score to multiclass out too.
>>
What does /5eg/ think about of Volo's?
Good, bad, indifferent?
>>
>>50112089
To summarise.
Perception is for finding people and physically spotting obvious things.
Investigation is for finding hidden objects and spotting less obvious things.
Passive perception sets the DC for hidden enemies to beat with stealth, and may also let the player spot some things when they enter a room, such as a patch of grey slime on the ceiling or the sharp caustic smell in the air, or for hidden enemies, the goblin hiding under the desk.
Passive investgiation is used to discover less obvious hidden things, such as a small key on the floor or a noticable trip-wire. However they will still need to state "I'm checking the walls/drawers/floor." before you let them find the DC15 hidden door/keys/pressure plate, even if they have passive investigation 18, but they find it without rolling.

I suggest having passive rolls set at 8+ModProfMisc rather than 10+, simply because I've had players refuse to roll perception checks because "Why would I, my passive is already 17. Chances are I'll just get lower so why bother, I'll stick and find what the 17 gets me." I feel actively looking should always be a better option than just observing while idle.

Spotting magic needs detect magic. Arcana is for finding lore or information on magical items after the item has been discovered or identified. A good example would be finding a magical sword in a chest.

Arcana check, No Detect magic; I can tell that this sword is magical now that I have it in my hands but don't really know what it does unless I rolled exceptionally well.
No Arcana check, Detect magic; I could see this sword was magical from across the room, also I can tell that it has evocation magic aura, this could mean anything though.
Both Arcane check, Detect magic; I clearly know this sword is magical with an evocation aura, my knowledge of runes scribed on the blade and experience with evocation magic suggest that this sword when active will be wreathed with flame and deliver additional damage each attack.
>>
>>50111887
>Secondary question, what is the next character you are most itching to play?
Sometimes when I'm bored I like to draw up NPCs by making characters and rolling the background stuff. I take what I've got and then try to flesh the generic adventurer out. Sometimes it's dumb, or edgy, but regardless I rather enjoy it, and sometimes I actually kind of like what I've ended up with.

But since I only DM, the answer is "all of them," but most recently a mad scientist guy who eschews magic and is trying to achieve immortality through achieving a perfect understanding of how living things work. He's a fighter who specializes in a glaive because I thought it kind of looked like a giant scalpel and it being his signature weapon would be funny.
>>
>>50112165
>>50112078
Stats aren't much of a concern. We roll for stats (I know, I know) and the stat assignment so far for this character is 13,16,14,11,13,15. I dont think there's a better way to arrange them, for a swashbuckler at least.
>>
>>50112129
>it's like I'm supposed to fill in sensory information for him
I mean, that kind of IS part of the DM's job.... on the other hand, a player can't expect the DM to know or remember every single detail about every single thing, even though some of them seem to think so. Talk openly with your player about this, DMs are only humans too.
>>
>>50112169
I'm loving it so far. So much juicy lore, the kind of stuff great for stirring the imagination. The new monsters are awesome too, I'm especially looking forward to using an Elder Brain at some point. The character races were actually underwhelming in the sense they kind of disappointed me in many ways (Goliaths getting shafted, OP Yuan-tis, Goblin overlaps with rogue instead of having the obvious synergy they should have, etc).
>>
>>50112170
>However they will still need to state "I'm checking the walls/drawers/floor."

Wrong. The PHB says you use Perception for that, not Investigation.
>>
File: 1475721603668.jpg (113KB, 397x609px) Image search: [Google]
1475721603668.jpg
113KB, 397x609px
>>50111887
My latest character, a paladin, was literally Luke Skywalker, except she was a tiefling.
>>
>>50112169
Monsterwise, I like it all, a good mix of here are some quirky monsters, beholder lore and "yo dawg, I herd you like gnolls so here is all you need to actually run them as varied and interesting antagonists.".

I would have loved to have seen some lower-level lairs, especially when they were talking about goblin and kobold camps. Lair actions in the main hall of a kobold encampment while the warren-boss and his remaining warriors fight the party seems like the most kobodly thing I can imagine. Crazy things happening like two kobolds jumping out of a hidden trench and joining the fight, or a large anvil being suspended from a rope suddenly swinging through, or all of the kobolds in the encounter moving 15ft without provoking to suddenly reposition on the party.

Some of the player options are great, some are a bit mediocre, some are just outright questionable.

Aasimar are over designed with three subraces including Darkangel McFallen-edge.

Firbolg, Tabaxi and Tritons are all cool, Lizardfolk have so many trash abilitys and with an affinity to st and dex so no matter what you're wasting potential.

Goliath are still trash why did they get a reprint without at least getting some changes or subraces added? Hell they could have literally given them subraces ontop of what they already have and they would still be balanced.

Kenku have changed from little crow dudes who made great allies due to double flank/aid bonuses and had cool memorable mimic ability to actually literally autistic birds who cannot talk and speak in hammer clinks and parrot phrases. General abilities are fucking shit because Mimicry is more of a drawback than an advantage now and who ever needs to make copies of things in a situation that having a bonus to it would be relevant.

Orcs are garbage, Kobolds are trash but cute, Hobgoblins are iffy but cool. Goblins are okay. Bugbears I love it's a shame they never made a brutal scoundrel rogue archtype, Yaun-ti look very strong.
>>
>>50112250
It is? I thought Investigation was the go to skill for finding hidden things like switches and levers.

What IS investigation for then?
>>
>>50112031
A fun way to use Arcana checks for your spellcasters is to let them roll it on occasion to recognize enemies casting or preparing to cast (maybe 1 round before) a spell that they know, allowing them to prepare for its effect. Even if it doesn't always help you its a cool and fun thing to give to your player.
>>
>>50112170
This is incorrect, perception is spotting/noticing/hearing/etc. Investigation is figuring out how things work, how traps work, logic puzzles, etc.
>>
Story time, /tg/!
So, I was running a mini-adventure and... holy shit. The whole thing revolves around the chaotic influence of Limbo on a certain location, and I love it because it allows my imagination to go wild with all the crazy stuff that can happen. So a player dipped his magical rapier in raw chaosstuff, it turned bright pink and I decided that on some appropriate moment it would make him roll on the Wild Magic table, without letting him know the results unless they were apparent.

>Player rolled a 2: now he has to roll on the table every round for a minute. Well fuck.
>96: we vulnerable to piercing now, his rapier is doing 24 damage per hit, a monster crits on a bite and deals 54 damage
>92: PC reincarnates if he dies within a minute, I misread this as resurrection
>he kills the enemy queen
>queen's subordinate goes to town on him, with 3 attacks it manages to knock him out on the first and kill him with two auto-crits
>I thought it would be cool and dramatic, but then I realize it's reincarnate. Damn, gotta commit to it now

So now the drow is a black dragonborn. I fucking LOVE wild magic.
>>
>>50111887
What do you guys think of this guy's houserules, I just came across them.

They seem to be fairly well considered, and focused entirely on the game design math.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/print/SkIZPQ_B
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Hk_90p_D
>>
File: 1472766216063.png (798KB, 1064x1472px) Image search: [Google]
1472766216063.png
798KB, 1064x1472px
>>50111887
For the second question, I was reading Curse of Strahd the other day and the background "Haunted One" has some Harrowing Events for you to choose/roll from. My attention instantly go towards this one: "You were cursed with lycanthropy and later cured. You are now haunted by the innocents you slaughtered."

Now I just want to play a character like this, I thinking to create him like a Ranger with shapechanger as favorite enemie.
>>
What does gish mean ?
>>
>>50112391
The first one isn't bad, the second is pretty terrible and pointless.
>>
Maybe this has been asked already, but is there any official word on how a lizardfolks Natural Armor ability works with Unarmored Defense? I assume you could use one or the other, otherwise it would be ridiculous.
>>
>>50112430
It's a reference to a warrior class of the classic planar monster, the Githyanki.

The Gish are skilled both with a greatsword, and with magic, and can use both at the same time.

the term has been somewhat generalized now to the point that people often say Gish for any swordmage type character.
>>
>>50111794
Arcana isn't even used for that, he needs Detect magic.

For vague "Give me info" questions, use their passive score (Skill bonus +10), and if it's lower than the normal DC+5, they don't see it off hand, but give them a clue so they can try to look in the right direction.
>>
>>50112432
Why don't you like the idea of making all the saves equally worth putting points into?

I'm not sure I like his implementation, but the idea behind it seems sound, no?
>>
>>50112404
I am currently doing this, and holy fuck it is fun. Do it. Mine is still cursed though because DM bullshit, so I rolled him as a Shifter from the Eberron UA, and he has to take fantasy drugs to keep the werewolf under control.
>>
>>50112440
Effects just as unarmoured defence, mage armour and even wearing armour at all replace your standard armour-class formula, so don't stack.

Normal Nudity your AC is 10+Dex
Mage armour your AC is 13+Dex
Monk defence your AC is 10+Dex+Wis
Barb defence your AC is 10+Dex+Con
DragonSorc your AC is 13+Dex
Lizardman your AC is 13+Dex
Leather your AC is 11+Dex
Breastplate your AC is 14+Dex(Maximum+2)
Fullplate your AC is 18.

None of these stack.
>>
Kobold is shit
>>
Are quicklings literally SANIC - the race?
>>
Is Deinonychus the new hotness for 2nd level Moon Druids?
>>
>>50112536
In what kind of setting would a druid have seen a dinosaur?
>>
>>50112553
Any kind of setting. He saw it in a picture book or museum.
>>
>>50112517
They're absolute bastards, for one. I think 5E quicklings are actually downgraded from the old ones, the ones that were AC -3, had invisibility and a gigantic movement rate (96" wasn't it?)
>>
>>50112391
>having to keep track of multiple dis/advantages
>rolling even more dice or dealing with floating modifiers
>nerfing rogues and bards to hell
It's shit. The advantage mechanic serves one purpose, or rather several. Expertise serves I wildly different purpose.
>>
>>50112553
Chult?
>>
So what do I name my goblin rogue, /tg/?

I'm looking for something simple, preferably only one syllable.
>>
>>50111887
Undyne
Triton Knight-of-the-Order.
5th level Vengeance Paladin
HP 44
AC 19
Speed - 30ft, 30ft Swim.
STR 16
DEX 10
CON 16
INT 8
WIS 8
CHA 16
Saves: Wis, Cha.
Gear: Plate Armour, Excessive amounts of Spears.
Skills: Athletics, Intimidation, Pursuasion, History. Instrument (Piano)
Abilities & Traits: Amphibious, Control Air and Water, Emissary of the Sea, Guardian of the Depths, Feat (Inspiring Leader +8thp), Divine Sense, Lay on hands (25hp), Fighting Style (Armoured), Spellcasting, Divine Smite, Divine Health, Sacred Oath, Channel Divinity, Extra Attack.
>>
>>50112597
Dirt
>>
>>50112569
I dunno they have 3 attacks with +7 that deal 8 damage each, AC 16, everybody has disadvantage against them also evasion as fucking CR1? it's absurd
>>
File: image.jpg (514KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
514KB, 1536x2048px
Why does the PDF come out like this? Anyone experiencing this?
>>
>>50112440
Armor, racial abilities, and class abilities that alter how you calculate your AC don't stack. You pick the highest one out of all the ones you have available to you. The only thing that gets tacked on is a shield, because while everything else is written as giving you your base AC, shields give you a bonus.
>>
Given that intelligence is a bit underplayed in 5e, at least in class representation, what kind of Int-based class would you like to see?

In particular, what kind of 'role' would you like to see a new Int-based class fill in 5e?
>>
>>50112606
I have it when I scroll but after I stop it overlays the actual text.
>>
File: Ciggies.jpg (288KB, 911x900px) Image search: [Google]
Ciggies.jpg
288KB, 911x900px
Gonna buy volo, but my FLGS isn't getting copies until the 15th
>>
>>50112619
>what kind of Int-based class would you like to see?
A psionic class, somekind of a mystic if you like.
>>
>>50112619
Just jam in some psychics and call it a day
not the UA mystic though please
>>
Making an item to buff monks and druids. Essentially +1 with unarmed strikes or natural weapons and some extra damage, but unsure about how to approach this. Extra damage forever would be too strong, right? Even if it was just 1d4. So should I make it a once per day "fuck you" with big damage and a save for half or a once per day 1 minute of 1d6 extra damage per turn / per attack?
>>
>>50112653
What's wrong with the UA mystic?
>>
>>50112585
>Expertise serves I wildly different purpose.
Allowing Bards and Rogues to break the skill curve and be grapple-fiends, with easier 1HK grapple attacks anytime they can push/drop an enemy to their death?

>Floating modifiers
kek. They cap out at +/-2. If you're worried about the added effort of +/-2, your math skills must be really terrible.

As for tracking multiple dis/advantage? I can see the argument for it and against it, mechanically.
>>
File: dFyWW5I.jpg (325KB, 1001x1001px) Image search: [Google]
dFyWW5I.jpg
325KB, 1001x1001px
>>50112536
>dinosaur druid
oh boy I know what character I want to make now
>>
>>50112606
OCR text recognition extracts the scanned text, and then saves it as text text, and overlays it on top.

For some reason, you're not getting the overlay
>>
>>50112685
I just think it isn't particularly interesting or compelling
I haven't tried it but it also seems kinda weak/lame
>>
>>50112553
eberron has lots of dinosaurs in the halfing plains
>>
>>50112619
I always liked the idea of some sort of class that could umbrella over Alchemist/Artificier/Psion to hit a whole mix between martial and magic that isn't traditional 'gish'
>>
>>50112078
>You're probably going to have to start with Paladin
>Str 13, Cha 13 plus Dex 13 from rogue as prerequisites
>You also will want Con
Niiiice
>>
>bite scales off str
>unarmoured def scales off dex
>bonus to con and wis
I just want to play an unarmoured lizardfolk that bites
>>
>>50112742
play a monk, obviously
>>
>>50112169
Cows are the new meta.
>>
>>50112634
>>50112696

Does it have something to do with the app I'm using?

Currently using Goodreader on my iPad. It has served me well with other PDFs from the trove. This is actually the first time I'm experiencing this. That said, seems fine on the computer.
>>
>>50112597

Turk
>>
>>50112169

Great lore for the new monsters and the old ones (esp for Beholders and Mind Flayers)

Great monsters to lunge at your players for your campaigns

Disappointed at Monstrous Adventurers, really.
>>
>>50112687
I'll grant you they're not supposed to be grapple fiends, but most normal people don't do that anyway, just the ones trying to make cheesy grapple builds. But the purpose of Expertise is making a skill more reliable. Advantage is not reliable.

And it doesn't fucking matter if it caps at +/-2, 5e is supposed to be a streamlined system. You check your bonus, you roll and add. Sometimes you roll 2 dice and keep one. People would begin to cheese multiple ways to gain advantage in order to stack them and that would slow down combat as the DM has to figure out and keep track of whatever is affecting this single roll.

Besides, many things there are poorly thought out. Bards normally gain 3 upgrades to their inspiration dice (d6->d8->d10->d12). This homebrew gives them only 2 upgrades that change the point of the feature from "spend it to gain a bonus when you really need it" to "keep it to gain other bonuses because advantage is easy to gain through other means". And even then, the other bonuses are not worth it. Bards have spells that help with charm or fear and even a whole feature (Countercharm). +10ft of speed at 10th level? Seriously? For Cutting Words, giving a powerful enemy disadvantage on a hit is useless when your AC is mediocre and they have over +9 to hit.

Pass Without Trace becomes a mere shadow of what it is, since then it'll only negate the disadvantage of heavy armor users, who are still likely have close to +0 in stealth. It'd be decent in a stealthy party, but those aren't the norm.

Battlemasters already have Feinting Attack to gain advantage, and it eats a bonus action and adds the dice to damage.

Again, advantage on saves is nearly useless if your save is bad. Take a dragon's cold breath, DC 19 Con. If you have a mere +1 to that, that's only 15% chance to succeed. With advantage, it's still 28%. With an extra +3 from the paladin's aura, your chances become 30%, which is already better than advantage.
>>
>>50112456
Thanks
>>
>>50111887
From Volo

A powerful annis hag creates one or more of the following
additional regional effects within 1 mile of her lair:
• The gravel stones on a safe-looking path, road,
or trails occasionally become sharp for 100-foot
intervals. Walking on these areas is like walking
on caltrops.
• Small avalanches of rock intermittently fall, blocking
a path or burying intruders. A buried creature is restrained
and has to hold its breath until it is dug out.
• Strange laughter, sounding like that of children or the
hag herself, occasionally pierces the silence.
• Small cairns appear along the route of travelers, containing
anything from mysterious bones to nothing at
all. These cairns might be haunted by skeletons, specters,
or hostile fey.

Is this the fucking Blair Witch Project?
>>
>>50112456
How can they cast magic with a greatsword?
>>
>>50112169
Volo's...
it's fucking garbage. There are good bits here and there, mostly fluff about the races, but then there's so much of the crap that I quit Pathfinder to get away from, like 4/5s of a page to tell me that THIS beholder is skinnier and has longer eyestalks and green scaley skin and therefore is xenophobic towards the ones that have shorter eyestalks or some shit.

Like all I need to know is they they're xenophobic as fuck, even towards beholders with superficial differences, I can take it from there. That bit is actually kinda cool, I hadn't thought that much about beholders before, so some of this fluff is nice reading, about their goals and habits and trophies and such.

Then you hit the races and they're all boring uninspired filler, they didn't even review Goliath for changes. The monster manual has PF-esque shit too, like the CR5 Cactoblepas that can insta-kill (not down, straight up fucking murder) any level 5 character that's not a CON:20 Barbarian, and can probably do it to the barb too if it gets a few hits in first.

Some of the lair info is kinda cool, some of the fluff is great (eg how giants "tame" creatures), some of the fluff is retarded (like the Deva that guide your aasimar are apparently Lawful Stupid as a written rule), but overall it'd be easier to burn the garbage than to sift through and pick out the diamonds.
>>
>>50112742
And it's still better than any 5e shifter ever
>>
>>50112955
Either they're warcasters who can channel through their blades (something standard PCs can do with a feat) or they take one hand off the sword long enough to cast, or their swords are specially crafted in a manner which make them also act as their arcane foci.
>>
>>50112955
Psychic
>>
File: tumblr_od6vdhNev21sp8yqvo1_500.jpg (56KB, 500x427px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_od6vdhNev21sp8yqvo1_500.jpg
56KB, 500x427px
>>50112601
>>50112862
Nah, I want something fitting a thief. It doesn't even have to be his real name as the background I'm writing has him exiled/separated from his tribe at a young age.

Does anyone know any cities in the Forgotten Realms setting that actually have slums? Something a goblin could hide and survive in without having the guards start some sort of manhunt.
>>
>>50112958
Good thing you, as a DM, have the say to not include Volo content in your game.

Hell, I don't even include EEPG or SCAG or anything in most of my groups and I like a lot of their content. It's just easier to run with core content only and the 5E core isn't the same trash that 3E made us put up with.
>>
>>50112958

I will admit that the insta-kill creatures are kind of bullshit (the Catoplebas isn't the only example). With that said, I'll also say it's the best supplement put out so far.
>>
>>50112984
Psionic casting doesn't need any component.
>>
>>50112954
Yes, probably.
>>
>>50113000
I think he was talking about greatsword wielding spellcaster PCs, not the actual gith
>>
>>50112955
Literally in the rules say you can freely take one hand off your 2h weapon, cast, and then freely grab the weapon again
>>
>>50113000
>>50112986
>>50112984
Yes, they do have racial psychic powers, but didn't the original Gish explicitly cast wizard spells?
>>
>>50112430
A character concept that is not only competent both in casting and fight but also synergizes well between them, Wizard/Fighter is not really a Gish, EK is because has features that allow for synergy between both classes
>>
>>50113014
I was referring to both, but didn't know in the Gith's case psionic casting removed components. I've never used them in my games before.
>>
>>50113029
Where did the word gish come from?
>>
>>50113039
The word comes from >>50112456
>>
>>50112169
>gives more lore
>gives more monsters
>gives more player races
I see no problem with it honestly.
>>
>>50113029
Funny thing, Paladins are also gishes, more in this edition than before.
>>
>>50112169
I'm kinda disappointed that they didn't take any time editing and correcting the races, most of them shit over previous rules. I fucking hate inconsistence.
>>
My group believes Bards are still useless and underpowered in 5e and their spell list is garbage. This is completely opposite of what I have been reading in these generals and around the internet as well. Is my group retarded?
>>
>>50113093
>Is my group retarded?
Probably, though I think is more lack of knowledge.
I had a group who thought 3.5 casters were shit, specially bards. After I made one that was better at combat than the barb + motherfucking spells they started questioning their life choices.
>>
>>50112391
Mechanically the second one is too finicky, but I think it comes from a good place, which is being dissatisfied with 5e's saving throw distribution. I don't really like the idea averaging different modifiers, and it also annoys me how Fort is just Con, and Will is 2 out of 3.

Since he's apparently taken the trouble to catalog the majority of events that require a save, I think it would be a more useful effort to change the save types of enough spells and abilities to get a more desirable distribution.

Meanwhile, the first article is much less messy on mechanics, but I completely disagree with his intent. Saying that it's a problem that characters with Expertise will auto-succeed at high levels is totally missing the point of Expertise. Even without Expertise rogues will probably auto-succeed at higher levels, because that's what their class is designed to do.

tl;dr: The saving throw article messily addresses a real issue, and the accuracy article addresses a problem that doesn't exist.
>>
>>50112994
I feel much the same way, I think. Though I will homebrew or modify stuff if my players see something in supplements that they really like, since I don't mind nicking bits from everywhere and anywhere.

>>50112999
I'm not entirely sure I'd agree on best supplement, I kind of want to say SCAG was better... but all I can think of as a reason why is it had less terrible bits, and something being "mostly forgettable" isn't exactly a great reason to place it above others.
>>
>>50112652
Hope this Monday we'll see the take 3 for the Mystic.
>>
>>50113093
bards are not nearly as op as the retards on 4chan think but they're by no means weak
>>
>>50113030
Psionics don't have somatic components, so you can wield weapons while you use them.

However, the Githyanki Gishes are traditionally explicitly arcane casters, with wizard spells.
>>
>>50113072
I quite prefer the lizardfolk approach to natural armor.

On the other hand, I'm annoyed that Yuanti get magic resistance, but drow no longer have it, for no discernable reason.
>>
>>50113174
>so you can wield weapons while you use them.
You can weild a weapon when you cast arcane spells, anon, a bow, a greatsword, etc, removing one from it is a free action.
>>
>>50113093
Kinda. You do have to use your brain more than not-at-all to make good use of bard, but any bard can be a great party addition, especially Lore bard.

As a bard, you get: full casting, more health than a wizard, proficiency in good saves, the best dex melee weapon, light armour prof, a bunch of skill profs, Expertise to make them better still, easy Party Face duty thanks to Cha being your caster stat, half prof to any skill you aren't already proficient in, an amazing buff/debuff in Inspiration/Cutting Words, and a bunch more weed.
>>
>>50113093
Play a bard and show them the mistake they're making.

>>50113129
I completely agree with this. I'm this anon, by the way: >>50112897
>>
>>50113190
Let me rephrase, then:

You can use psionics without the use of your hands.

Tied up, carrying a shield and weapon, arms lopped off, whatever.
>>
>>50113199
Also half prof to Initiative
>>
>>50113208
oh right, because initative is an ability check using dex. I keep forgetting that, probably because my group's bard does too
>>
>>50113206
>Tied up
I dunno in this edition, but retrained condition in 3.5 disallowed you from casting, whether you a divine, arcane or psionic caster, yeah, even though psionics didn't need somatic, verbal. Same for muted, it's weird, I know.
>>
>>50112001
Candlekeep is basically a super private library, not so much a school. Host Tower of the Arcane or the Red Wizards both teach apprentices, and i would expect you can find tutelage in any major city fairly readily, although not easily.
>>
>>50113224
I think you needed to roll concentration 15+Spell lvl not outright impossible.
>>
>>50113218
Dispel Magic and Counterspell, too.
>>
>>50113174
That was also in AD&D, where Primal casting wasn't really a separate thing, psionics were a lot weirder, and what the hell a Bard did was far from cemented.
>>
File: Kobold.jpg (22KB, 240x327px) Image search: [Google]
Kobold.jpg
22KB, 240x327px
ok guys, what you think

Kobold Fighter (Battlemaster)
STR: 10 (12 - 2) Using stat array of 15/14/13/12/10/8
DEX: 17 (15 + 2)
CON: 14
INT: 8
WIS: 13
CHA: 10

Equipment:
Short Sword (going DEX so a finess weapon, and rapier does not fit the theme) and Shield.
Chain Mail
Light Crossbow + 20 bolts
Skills:
Animal Handling OR Acrobatics, can't decide
Survival
Persuasion (background)
Athletics (background)
Background: Mercenary Veteran (Sword coast adventurer's guide)

Fighting Style: Protection
Martial Archetype: Battle Master
Maneuvers (of level 3)
Commander's Strike
Parry
Can't decide 3rd

4th level: medium armor master

I only put down starting equipment, I'll eventually move up to half plate. But now I need some help after this, what should be my 3rd maneuver?
I also have choices to make for 6th and 8th level, Do I take a straight +2 bonus to dex at 6th? Maybe just +1 with athlete feat? I also am thinking of Shield Master or Defensive Duelist. Obviously I plan on getting all of these at some point but I need some advice as to what order to get them in.
>>
Now that the dust has settled, is HAM (Heavy Armor Master) as good as everybody said at the beginning?
>>
>>50113315
Maybe, but the idea of "being a master of wearing armor" still looks dumb to me.
>>
So, I want to have separate (non-exchangeable) attribute increase and feat tracks, with the intention being to boost character versatility by not forcing them to choose between effectiveness and flexibility like they more or less have to do now.

What I'm not looking to do, however, is noticeably boost their raw numbers.

What's the best way to go about this?

>"X number of feats over 20 levels"
>"Feats no longer boost attributes directly"

?
>>
Why do lizardfolk use clubs if they can bite for 1d6
>>
>>50113375
Have characters train for and receive feats at DM discretion based on actions and plot. Doing so lets you grant smaller feats more regularly than the big important ones, while still letting players work towards their characters progression intentionally.
>>
>>50113434
because dentists are expensive
>>
>>50113315
It's only okay.
When you get down to it, it's a solid defensive option in a system that prefers boosting damage to win fights quicker.
>>
>>50113442
I don't like this idea very much because, what do you do if someone wants to be a Polearm master but never finds a polearm? Or wants to get the maneuver feat for tripping but he can't trip because he isn't a OH monk or a battlemaster?
>>
>>50113315
It's meh, 3 DR to non magical piercing, bludgeoning and slashing gets old pretty fast.
>>
>>50113485
Are you implying they couldn't just buy a polearm then go practice with it?
Or that they can't learn to trip from a martial trainer in a large city or something?
Leaving it up to the DM means you can just find a reason to do anything.
>>
>>50113315
for the first couple of levels, assuming the enemy is going for the guy in chainmail with damage resistance and just ignoring the guy at the back shooting fire in a dress
>>
>>50113462

This makes me wonder if healing spells only heal pre-existing physical features (are teeth even included?) or if they could "superheal" to some idealized form.
>>
>>50113534
I'm pretty sure healing spells just undo damage, what you're saying is more like buff spells or temporary HP
I know you probably mean fluff and not just game terms though
>>
>>50113534
I think regeneration might be required to get teeth back. Isn't healing more like magically closing a wound? It can't bring stuff back, it just fixes what's still there
>>
>>50113534
Crazy high level spells, the likes of which maybe one caster in the country who knows it, might do it, for a price that no one but the highest nobility and bourgeoisie can afford.

Normal Cure/Heal/HP-recovery spells are just magical energy drinks, they can mend minor cuts and wounds at best.
>>
can someone help me with a concept for my entertainer half elf GOOlock, i can't think of anything original or interesting in terms of how they got their powers.
>>
>>50113588
Well, you can be healed up from being turned into almost-dead pulp, so I think it would work.
Otherwise you would be fucked every time some wolf bites a piece of you.
>>
>>50113620
>you can be healed up from being turned into almost-dead pulp
Repeat after me: Hit Points Are Not Meat Points.
>>
>>50113613
also if you have any tips (spells,cantrips) for a first time warlock player
>>
>>50113643
Eldritch blast
Agonizing blast
buff up charisma
build complete
>>
File: 1471207934501.png (217KB, 638x841px) Image search: [Google]
1471207934501.png
217KB, 638x841px
>>50111887
oh hey its best girl
>>
>>50113613
The told stories really good, and attracted the notice of another GOO warlock, who inducted them into a cult. Now they tell stories real good to get more people into the cult.

>>50113630
Technically true, but I'm pretty sure most DMs describe them as meat points, because the alternative is a lot harder to make interesting. Additionally, successful attacks are called hits, and failed attacks misses, which supports meatpoint based descriptions.

So, in a hitpoints are plot armor type description, how do you differentiate from a player missing an NPC in a way that doesn't reduce plot armor, and a player missing an NPC in a way that does? how do you describe healing magic in a way that doesn't say it's healing meat points, but actually healing plot armor?

It isn't impossible to make descriptions work under this framework, but it's very hard, and most DMs just take the simpler path of Hitpoints=Meatpoints.
>>
>>50113630
Why not, where does it says that.
When you take physical damage obviously some things would deal various wounds, from regular wounds, to biting away parts of you, and crushing bones, and flesh melting from acid, etc. If it was not actually regenerating tissues, you would fall apart after the first fight.
>>
>>50112987
jew
>>
>>50113679
It says that in the PHB, it has always said that.

>Hit points represent a combination of physical and mental durability, the will to live, and luck.

They are not a fuckingn system to measure grievous injuries, they are an abstraction meant to show your determination to keep going.
>>
>>50113643
Build wise, warlocks can do a lot. You can go super high damage by pumping cha and either dex or str (if you want a ranged weapon, take dex, and if you want a melee weapon, take strength). Bladelock is mandatory for the highest warlock damage output.

Alternatively, you could build super utility, with decent damage from eldritch blast. For utility, Pact of the Chain is the best option available. For your first invocations, take things that offer at will spells, like disguise self or minor illusion. Don't take Agonizing blast at first, it doesn't increase damage enough at low levels that it's mandatory, and other invocations are more fun. However, after level 5, agonizing blast should be the first invocation you take.

Finally, you can go for super flexibility, with pact of the tome. Just pick some good non damaging cantrips and enjoy.
>>
File: IMG_0102.png (662KB, 531x710px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0102.png
662KB, 531x710px
>>50111887
For my next character I had a couple different ideas in mind

1. Some kind of two-handed dwarf fighter. Nothing super special but it's a character I like to play in various games

1. Kenku bard. Was hatched next to a bard's college so while growing up learned all the sounds of music; from symphonies to ballads to musicals and more. Instead of playing an instrument he simply makes the sounds of one of the thousands of songs he has heard before. The only reason he's in the adventuring party is because he is best bros with another PC and entertains the party for funsies

3. Warforged Monk. A prototype of the warforged found in Eberron long before it takes place. Woke up in a forest after being dumped there since the wizard thought he was broken (he has no memory of this, since he was not "alive" when this took place). Saves a traveling pilgrim and takes him to the temple where he receives his training. His purpose is to find out what he is and his reason for being
>>
>>50113673
It's just that most attacks are more or less flesh wounds. A few might go an inch deep and make some crazy bleeding, but outside of a vorpal sword you're not cutting off chunks of other people with every attack. However, every hit wears them down, as they keep losing blood from several minor wounds and a few medium ones.A huge critical that puts them at death's door might inflict a lasting injury, because then it doesn't really matter as they're likely to die soon anyway.
>>
>>50113726
>You can go super high damage by pumping cha and either dex or str (if you want a ranged weapon, take dex, and if you want a melee weapon, take strength).

>using a ranged weapon
>as a warlock

What the fuck are you doing
>>
>>50113716
I think it mostly takes into consideration various mental attacks, like spooky illusions dealing damage, etc.
The thing is, hit points decrease on a hit, you can't decently roleplay it as "plot armor" when by all means and rules you are actually getting hit by an axe, for example. As is heal meant to heal wounds and damage as in "cure wounds". It doesn't says anything about healing plot armor, whatever you even imagine by this.
>>
>>50113755
Bladelock offers significantly more average damage than eldritch blast if feats are allowed, and can do so at range or in melee.
>>
>>50113643

Take Eldritch Blast and Agonising Blast. You only have two spell slots for the first ten fucking levels, so just shooting Edgy Beams at people will be about 80% of your combat participation.

Take the fucking pact of the tome. If you're scared about not having a bladelock's melee skill, grab the Shillelagh or Shocking Grasp cantrips with it. If you think Pact of the Chain is the best thing ever, just grab the find familiar ritual and summon an owl. Invisible familiars are good, but they scale terribly and anywhere past lvl 5 your enemies are just going to beat your imp to pieces anyway.

Grab Hex; it's your best concentration spell, and makes your Eldritch Blasts even stronger. There aren't really any other mandatory 'lock spells, so take whatever you like.

Invocation-wise, the ones giving at-will spells like disguise self and silent image are the ones you want after grabbing agonising blast.

Stack CHA. Go for decent CON/DEX also. Dump STR. Invest in INT and WIS as you will; WIS is slightly better to have a good save in, but it's really up to you.

Nothing else really comes to mind.
>>
>>50112987
Shank?
>>
>>50113772
The mental thing is about fatigue and stress, it's never been about mental meat points.

And you can, in fact, decently play plot armor, some systems even separate vitality from energy (Star Wars d20 did it, your con was actual meat points).

Near misses, clashes of arms, flesh wounds, torn clothes, superficial wounds, that's what most hits would look like before you get down to it.
>>
>>50113776
If you're a dex bladelock your damage is lower than EB, at best 2d8+20

Str lock can use GWM which will end in 4d6+20+20 vs 4d10+20 but then you have the problem of having enough Str, Cha, Dex (for AC) and Con
>>
>>50113315
There are still a lot of "+1 AC is broken" autists that insist that the game is cracked open with 23+ AC that would say this is great if they were not saying Dexterity is the God stat and that Champion fighters suck (despite being guaranteed the broken defensive fighting style).

People say lots of things and mostly have no idea what they are talking about.
>>
>>50113872
>Manages to not answer the question
>>
>>50112701
the immortal is crazy for single target damage, you can easily pump out 1d8+5d10+5 damage at level 5 or so, but you never get extra attack.
>>
>>50113837
It's just that D&D doesn't really work that way.
You don't loose HP by fatigue and stress alone.
You get actual hits that deal wounds and heal actual wounds.
And all misses and clashes of arms already have the representation in armor rating.
Obviously it doesn't mean every hit is a severe wound with your guts falling out, and that 0hp = skeleton, but they represent actual wounds from attacks that connected nontheless.
>>
>>50113921
Yeah
I wanted to make one because of the immortal's smiting thing, but eventually decided against it
Not gonna make a character based on one cool thing
>>
>>50113930
>You don't loose HP by fatigue and stress alone.
I can envision it just fine. Maybe your imagination is at issue?

Also wounds includes cuts, bruises and flesh wounds.
>>
It's a variant rule, but I guess it shows what healing actually does
>>
>>50113798
Shillelagh doesn't output near the damage of a bladelock.

Find Familiar without Pact of the Chain is no substitute for the utility offered by the familiars. The reason pact of the chain actually does scale is because the familiars have tons of useful out of combat utility that can't really be matched with normal familiars. Specifically, invisibility, heart sight, poisoned shortbows that can knock people unconscious, transforming, etc.

Hex is mandatory. Agonizing blast is, but only after level 5. It shouldn't be in your first 2 invocations.

CHA should be maxed, but strength shouldn't be dumped if you're planning on bladelocking with a melee weapon.

>>50113864
You can bind ranged magical weapons to the bladelock, and honestly I haven't met a DM yet that doesn't allow you to summon ranged weapons with it anyways. With a magical hand crossbow, you can take sharpshooter and crossbow expert, resulting in 6d6+30 (stat damage mod)+30 (sharpshooter) (assuming +1 damage, and 5 dex/cha, and an active hex), which blows eldritch blast out of the water average wise. that's 81 average damage versus 56 average damage.

If you don't want to rely on the DM giving you a crossbow to make the character work, then you can do similar with polearms. Assuming 5 strength 5 cha, polearm master, and GWM, you can deal 2d10+1d4 (weapon butt)+3d6+30 (stat mod)+30 (GWM) damage, for an average of 84 damage.

Dex won't be too necessary, though it is always helpful, because polearm master helps keep things from attacking you in the first place.
>>
>>50113921
>You can easily pump out 1d8+5d10+5 damage at level 5
>having Str at 20 at 5th level
Anyway, Paladin deals 2d8+6d8+8+4 (48) realistically speaking vs the 36 your Mystic does
>>
>>50113965
>You can bind ranged magical weapons to the bladelock
no you can't, the text on pact of the blade specifies that "you choose the form that this melee weapon takes each time you create it"
>>
>>50113951
Maybe you imagination is an issue if you imagine fluff that is not in the game design.
>Also wounds includes cuts, bruises and flesh wounds.
That's what I just said, not every wound is a Mortal Combat wound, but they are actual wounds that connected and dealt damage by it nonetheless.
>>
>>50113965
>I haven't met a DM yet that doesn't allow you to summon ranged weapons with it anyways
See, when talking about rules, lets talk about actual rules and not homerules, ok?

>You can bind ranged magical weapons to the bladelock
And you can have a T-Rex animal companion too.
>>
>>50112465
The idea behind it is OK, but just assigning three random saves is stupid. The idea is stupid because there are major saves and minor saves in 5e - Dexterity, Constitution, and Wisdom saves are more common by design because they are the major saves. The minor saves mean that DMs providing a variety of monsters will always challenge the party beyond the "mechanical ideal" this author, who is pretty unreasonably obsessed with balance, prefers.

The first one is a really good way to adjust the game to a more complex but probably more mechanically sound use of bounded accuracy. But, again, the author doesn't fully understand the point of what he is changing and has an obsession with balance. The reason expertise dramatically improves the Rogue's chances is because the Rogue is a Demi-God of that skill like the Bard, and Pass Without a Trace probably should be written as "you automatically pass Stealth checks for X time" but people would call that OP so it's +10 instead.

The much, much easier solution is to remove skills and use ability score proficiencies or background proficiency for skill checks (and possibly saves). It broadens the amount of rolls a character is good at, which has a similar effect.

Also, I'm the anon that thinks GWM and SS are terrible feats without other damaging feats for all the other fighting styles out there. I get the guy's gripes in the first homebrew.
>>
>>50114002
>>50114014
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-april-2016

actual rules.
>>
>>50113965
>If I ignore the actual rules I can do more than with the actual rules
Yeah, if I give my paladin 11th level spells at 2nd level my Smites deal 12d8, awesome right?
>>
>>50114008
This was also in the 2e description of hit points in combat. Your insistance on making them meat points is dumb. Fall damage at the lowest levels of it is being shaken, no one is going to break from a 10 foot fall unless they have a bone disease.
>>
>Next UA is barbarian shit
I want my Mythic!
>>
>>50114033
there's a difference between allowing an otherwise underwhelming feature a small buff that everyone agrees is necessary, and completely breaking the game.

Regardless, ranged blade pact weapons are actually allowed, if they're magical. >>50114025
>>
>>50114025
i didn't read that carefully enough. but that relies on my DM dropping a magical hand crossbow which i don't think i care enough about min/maxing DPR to beg for
>>
>>50114062
>Pact of the BLADE
>Is necesary to give them ranged weapons
Yeah, sure
>>
>>50113886
The dust hasn't settled.
>>
Why leatherworking? Shields?
>>
>>50113956
It also shows which blows are actual wounds. Crits/drop to 0 is a wound, all other HP damage is intangibles.
>>
>>50114077
Or just let your blade be a polearm.
>>50114078
>pact of the BLADE
>can summon clubs, quarterstaves, and whips
>arrows and bolts can commonly be designed with bladed edges to increase damage

Don't be a moron, ranged weapons make more sense than what's already allowed.
>>
>>50114078
It was the laziest "fix" ever
>Wotc, bladelock is squishy as fuck, please halp
>Sure, here, now you can use ranged weapons if you like
>That doesn't help my squishiness
>It does because you aren't on melee, kek
Fuck wizards
>>
>>50114077
Also i think i might be doing AL with this character so the probability of getting a magic hand crossbow are even more slim
>>
>>50114103
It wasn't a fix. That was just them reiterating what the rules already stated.

A fix would be letting you use ranged weapons from the start of the game, collapsing the invocation tax into the feature, and adding more interesting invocations that change combat strategy up in melee and ranged.
>>
>>50114096
Armor, backpacks, clothing, etc.
>>
>>50114037
Dumb it or not, this is just how you lose HP by these rules. You never lose HP just by being stessed out by seing a spooky skeleton or by dodging attacks for an hour straigth, or by running a marathon. But if you get hit or take any kind of damage, serious or not, you lose HP. Maybe it's not as clear in the description, but in actual mechanics this is just how it is.
>>
>>50114121
Shit

I'm saying I don't get it either.
>>
>>50114129
Except you literally lose HP due to psychic damage, and you do lose HO if you dodge attacks for an hour due to the nature of critical hits...
>>
File: Hit Points 1e.png (61KB, 776x1220px) Image search: [Google]
Hit Points 1e.png
61KB, 776x1220px
>>50114129
I hate to break it to you, but the game disagrees. And it has since the 70s.
>>
Did I miss something? Are kobolds not a character option in Volos?
>>
>>50113965
>Shillelagh doesn't output near the damage of a bladelock.
1d8+5+3d8 (GFB) plus 3d8+5 (secondary target of GFB) = 23 + 18.5
or
1d8+5+3d8 plus 4d8 (BB) = 37
vs
4d6+10+20 = 44 from bladelock with GWM (so less % to hit which I didn't take into account)

I think they're pretty close
>>
>>50114207
read the whole post, there's a damage breakdown of bladelocks which shows how to get >80 average damage a round.
>>
>>50114203
Monstrous Humanoids, because they get a 15 page race writeup in chapter one due to being more important than some angel half-breed
>>
>>50114203
they are, it's just that they get a -2 strength and sunlight sensitivity, although they do get +2 dex, pack tactics, a 1/long rest ability to give all allies advantage and darkvision i think?
>>
>>50114207
>Assuming the bladelock has 20 Str, 20 Cha and GWM and enough AC and Con to not die before he has those stats
Kek
>>
>>50114233

Not to mention the Tome pact getting other cantrips and ritual spells also.
>>
>>50114218
Yeah by expecting they get a magical hand crossbow. Let me give you some break news, if you depend on magic items to be good you're going to be disappointed in 5e.
>>
>>50113814
That'll do, thanks.
>>
>>50114254
read the whole post again.
>>
>>50114261
>Not only 20 Str, 20 Cha and GWM, but also PM
PPPPffhahahahaha, sure, not even at 20th level
>>
Insight wouldn't really fit a lizardfolk, right? Unless they have been brought up around other races or something
>>
>>50114273
Even with something like 16 STR, 20 CHA, (or vice versa), the damage still dramatically outclasses what you've posted so far.

Try again.
>>
>>50114142
Yeah, I said that various mental damage also counts, hence what the rules can imply. It's still hit and damage though, and not a "whew I could've been hit by that mind blasting spell, but I dodged, but I also kinda tired from it"
>do lose HO if you dodge attacks
dodging is considered to be part of an armor rating, if you are never being hit, you are technically never lose hp.
>>50114150
Is it 1e? I don't remember how attacks work back then to judge desu. Anyway, despite fluff vagueness in most D&D editions I know damage is always applied when there is an actual hit and it deals some sort of damage.
Again, I'm not saying that, for example, humanoid character with 100 hp can take 10 fullly connected hits from a great axe to the body and be ok, I'm just saying that by the rules he is being hit in one way or another and takes damage one way or another, even if it's just a scratch.
>>
>>50114280
Maybe their cold calculatingness makes them adept at recognizing when people are acting out of the ordinary?
>>
>>50114293
Try 20 Str and 16 Cha instead because you need to hit. You aren't counting the -5 to attack at all and that's important. Go to fucking school and learn statistics before saying shit.
>>
>>50113921
>>50113994
Mystic can do psychic smite with off-hand too. So that should be 10d10.
>>
>>50114293
Vs 22 AC
>Tomelock has 11 to hit that's 50% of damage
>Bladelock with 16 Str has 9 to hit, -5 from GWM is 4 to hit, that's 15% of damage
Your 84 damage are now 12.6
>>
>>50113994
>>50114333
Oh and at level 5, they can do it 5 times a day compare to paladin 2 time a day.
>>
>>50114333
Paladin can do smite with off hand too that should be 9d8 (only from smite).
3d8+10+9d8 = 64

Mystic is
2d8+5+10d10 = 69

I wouldn't say mystic is OP
>>
>>50114372
>Paladin off hand
Better try polearm, you can use great weapon style with them, twf on a paladin sounds weird, specially for casting
>>
>>50114372
> only has 2 level 2 spell per day
> use it 3 time
1d8 lower brah. That -4.5 damage.
>>
>>50114372
>I wouldn't say mystic is OP
Neither would I, but they'll probably get slightly nerfed on the smitey department
>>
>>50114401
This too. Mystic can cast without component, so they can get away with dual-wielding.

Although comparing damage e-peen on mystic is silly because they can use Occluded mind to make target kill themselves.
>>
>>50114299
>I'm just saying that by the rules he is being hit in one way or another and takes damage one way or another, even if it's just a scratch.
Where in the rules does it say this? Being "hit" can mean that you narrowly dodged the attack, but doing so exhausted you a bit.
>>
>>50114336
>>50114308
The accuracy drop is only 25%, and the attack doesn't rely on enemies taking move actions under BB.

Finally, let's make this example more reasonable. The average AC of the monster manual is about 14 (haven't checked to see if anyone has done the math on Volo's). Against a 14 AC, the bladelock hits with GWM on an 8 or above. This means the bladelock hits 60% of the time. The tomelock hits on a 3 or above, meaning the tomelock hits 85% of the time. Adjusting the damage figures:

bladelock: 50.4
tomelock: 31.45

Additionally, the bladelock can add magic item bonuses to complicate the math, but a shilleglah can't add magic items. With a +3 magic polearm, the difference between the shilleiglah and GWM Bladelock reduces to a 10% chance to hit difference.

Sure, the higher the AC you give in your cherry picked examples, the less damage the bladelock deals compared to the tomelock, but remember: against high AC targets, the Moreover, the average AC of the monster manual is ~14 iirc. Against this AC, the bladelock hits on a (9-Proficiency) or above bladelock doesn't have to use GWM, and can also use GFB and BB.
>>
>>50114489
Because dodge and armor already considered part of the armor rating so you already have mechanics for completely dodging an attack of armor taking all the hit.
Also all "on touch" and "on hit" effects apply exactly after that. You can't get a debuff or poison, or specific form of damage that you may or may not have resists or weaknesses or whatever, by just "narrowly dodging". By all means it is implied that when you get hit, you get hit.
>>
>>50114372
Mystic can do like 25d10 a day, Paladin 15d8?
>>
>>50114578
>The average AC of the monster manual is about 14
Inconsecuential, you should use the average AC for your CR
>>
>>50114596
but then I can't make the average plummet with things like goats, zombies and oozes
>>
>>50114578
Hahahaha, reread shillelagh, you can totally use a +3 club or quarterstaff
>>
>>50113656
I absolutely cannot get past that ridiculous mouth.
If not for that, easily.
>>
>>50114578
>Doesn't know how shillelagh works
>Uses +3 weapons for bladelock but not for tomelock
>Average AC of every monster instead of those of the level of your party
Can someone be even more wrong and biased?
>>
>>50114609
That's retarded, and belies a fundamental misunderstanding of how the CR system works.

There is no CR for a given level.

>>50114618
Oops my bad. Still, only took me one post to read it, not three like you!
>>
>>50114636
Don't forget that he also gave +20 to Str and Cha, plus PM and GWM to the bladelock, he's beyond biased.
>>
>>50114671
It isn't bias though. It's just a mathematical fact that bladelocks have a higher damage potential than nonbladelocks. Even if you reduce the stat cap to 20 str, 16 cha, the damage difference still exists.
>>
>Not doing all maths with +30 in every stat from reading all the tomes and manuals
Do you guys even know how to minmax?
>>
>>50114709
You forgot having several artifacts in every equipment slot
>>
Honestly I don't know why would you minmax and not go for flavor instead.
A good DM should give challenges and equip that fits characters power level anyway.
>>
>>50114737
i was really hoping for more roleplay and midrange optimisation advice rather that the min/maxing shitshow that happenned
>>
>>50114690
>have a higher damage potential
Sure, and 10d10 has a higher damage potential than 75, but reality speaking the later is better. You gave everything needed, plus magic items, against a non realistic AC and expected that meant something. If you made a realistic study you'll realize that bladelock doesn't deal that much damage than tomelock.

Average AC of all the monsters in the game is dubiously helpful. Specially taking into account that if you find shit like goblins and stuff at 20th level a warlock, being bladelock or tomelock, is going to throw a fireball at them instead of killing 1 by 1 with melee attacks, or probably just EB, 1d10+5 can kill a goblin.
>>
>>50114737
>not making deadly encounters for a party of 5 half orc wizards
pff
>>
Okay /tg/, if I want to play a heavy armored full caster, what are my options here?

Either go Light/Arcana domain cleric and take the heavy armor feat or just start as a fighter?
>>
>>50114737
My GM once told me "why you optimize, I'm still going to throw stuff that makes the encounter challenging doesn't matter is a goblin or a wyvern", I just replied "kililng a wyvern is more heroic, and we're playing a heroic game", he just went mute.
>>
>>50114581
>attack
>to hit
>AC
>damage
>HP
>others
These are all interconnected abstractions for a period of time where characters exchange blows and use magical effects. There is no set definition of any of them isolated from the others.
>>
>>50114768
1-2 levels of fighter and then literally any caster class
>>
Also, using standard point buy, and 20 levels of warlock:

15 base strength, 14 base charisma
Variant Human: Polearm Master, and 16 strength, 15 Charisma
5 ability score improvements -1 for a feat (Great weapon master)
20 strength, 18 charisma, 1 to whatever (dex or con probably)

Damage: 2d10 (polearm main attacks+extra)+1d4(weapon butt attack)+3d6(hex)+15 (STR MOD)+12 (CHA MOD)+30 (GWM)

That comes out to 81 average damage, or ~50 average damage against an average monster.

>>50114755
14 is a realistic AC. Due to bounded accuracy being baked into the game, the average difficulty of hitting a monster doesn't significantly increase as you challenge more difficult monsters. Also, this damage features a large component that is set, like your 75. Remember, it's at least 60 damage if all 3 attacks hit.
>>
>>50114768
war or tempest clerics are very potent casters with heavy armour as well as martial weapons. other than that you would need to pick up a feat
>>
>>50114768
Life cleric1/Wizard19
>>
>>50114783
You would get rot worms so quick...
>>
>>50114798
oops, meant to say standard array.
>>
I'm making a dwarf wild mage sorcerer, the explanation for his powers being that he has a dwarven spellshroom growing from his head, although normally it just looks like a wizard hat so you wouldn't tell at first glance.
What are some interesting character backgrounds you've made?
>>
>>50114768
Is half-plate not heavily-armored enough? You might not be a knight in full armor but it's basically what cuirassiers wore in the 16th-17th century
>>
>>50114753
My main point was that all warlocks can be great, so do what you want flavor wise, and here are some ways to make them work. Including bladelock.

But holy shit, there are a lot of people that fail basic math and really bought into the meme that bladelocks suck. Sorry about their shitposting.
>>
>>50114784
I'm just saying that these abstractions make sense in the game design where "hit" means "hit", as "damage" means "damage" one way or another.
Of course you may make your game the way you want, might as well make all damage a plot armor and a final hit a bloody fatality, but all the things in rules that are applied on hit are applied on hit, not on "near dodge".
Might as well justify to your players that they are getting much more "tired" from "dodging" some magical arrow compared to a regular arrow, or making phantom con saves and "tiredness" damage from dodging a poisonous knife.
>>
>>50114783
Might as well give you a cool wyvern slaying sword or on the opposite just drown your op character in goblin hordes.
>>
>>50114870
i had pretty much settled on bladelock before my initial post, i was mostly asking for flavour ideas on why a half-elf guitarist has powers granted by an eldritch being
>>
>>50114971
I wouldn't mind goblin hordes, because a goblin hordes are more heroic than a single goblin.
>>
>>50114975
Ask your DM if your blade can be your instrument as well, and it changes shape to a weapon.

And then your half elf guitarist loses a guitar duel to nylarthotep, and pledges himself in service for lessons.
>>
>>50114988
This sounds too anime
>>
So I'm thinking about making an aasimar paladin for AL. Vengeance oath, swinging around a great big fucking greatsword. I really want to do scourge aasimar for the radiant damage aura and be the glassest of cannons, but their stat bump isn't ideal for the great sword part of things. I'd be pretty behind on stats and probably have to pass up on GWM. Fallen, on the other hand, would keep me on track with 16 str/cha and I could take the feat. Suggestions?
>>
What would be the opinion of adding these two armros in my campaign
- Silk Jack - AC13, Light; made from specially treated giant spider silk, rare, relatively exotic, 900gp
- Chitin Breastplate- Breastplate that can be worn by Druids, 600gp, made from the chitin of giant bugs (I might throw in a Half-Plate version for 1200gp)
>>
>>50114975
Maybe he was an avantgarde artist and wanted to achieve new uheard to mortals before sounds so he made a pact with eldrich beings for that knowledge.
>>
>>50113263
Put the 15 in con and the 14(+2) into dex, that way you can get resilient (con) later on for 16 con, while the dex is the same since you only get bonuses at even amounts anyway.
Next I would say forget medium armor master, if you're a dex battlemaster just increase your dex at lvl4 and wear studded leather.
I don't know what your theme is but you can fit rapier over shortsword into it.
Always get your stat ups first, +1 to hit in a realm of bound accuracy is nothing to sneeze at. If you were going archer I might suggest getting sharpshooter or crossbow expert instead depending on the circumstance, but the +2 dex would still win out most of the time.
>>
>>50115003
? Duels with the devil are a pretty common theme in the western canon, and nylarthotep is a western creation as well.
>>
>>50115008
Silk Jacket removes pretty much any downside of using light armor over heavy, since you can get the same AC as full plate for less than half the price.

Giving a non-metal version of metal armor for druids is also kinda eh, since druids are already rather good and don't need the help.
>>
>>50114987
Damn you
You can just start on higher levels if you want more heroic adventure anyway
I would just give less strong players a better equip for balance on the place of DM
>>
>>50114737
I like to make characters that can do crazy shit, but play at a muted level unless the party is in over their head.
>>
>>50115047
Full Plate is 1500gp, and you need 20 dex to equal full plate.
>>
>>50114870
Oh the uppityness.

People dont' fail at basica math, people simply don't buy on your dude with 20 in everything 3 feats, +3 magic polearm and hitting only AC 14, that's what people don't buy.

Sure, GWM PM deals more damage than SS XX hand crossbow, but once you take int account to hit is actually the opposite because one hits better even though the other deals more damage.
>>
>>50115064
what balance? if everybody strong nobody is, did you assumed that I was the only one optimizing?
>>
>>50115029
I think he was referring to the first line, about having the weapon and instrument be the same thing. Like you're a Power Ranger or something.
>>
>>50115069
It was great weapon master with savage attacker because the dude wanted great sword for some reason
>>
>>50115069
Are you retarded?

I already demonstrated a perfectly standard build, using the standard array, that deals only 3 less damage on average than the one I posted earlier.

The argument isn't GWM vs SS either, it's GWM or SS versus shilleiglah
>>
>>50115067
And if you're using light armor, you're probably going to be maxing out dex anyway.

It really removes one of the bigger incentives to use Strength though, which was higher AC, if only slightly.
>>
>>50115081
Well if the whole party is minmaxed then the only problem is that all of you could've just played a more fun fluff characters on a higher level if you wanted to have a more heroic adventure.
To each to their own I guess.
>>
>>50115114
We could, but GM wanted to start at 1st level, they always want to start at 1st level for some reason, so stuff like variant human is a must if we want to enjoy the mechanics of the system before the game ends
>>
>>50115111
To be fair, a rare magic item (studded leather +1) is just as good as the silky thingy, and I think rare items are valued at 500-5000 gold, meaning 600 is low, but not unreasonable
>>
>>50115111
I find Reach, higher damage and athletics to be a bigger incentive but maybe that's just me.

I might make it more expensive than full plate I guess. It's more an alternative to Half-Plate in my mind.

(Also I think only one person in my group ever took more than one ASI by level 12 and that was a fighter)
>>
>>50115129
>Starting at 1st level
Utter disgust
>>
>>50115129
If your games only last two sessions maybe the problem goes beyond the GM (the only way you wouldn't be level 3-4 by the end of a session is if your DM is a stingy shit, hell, I only use sub level 3 templates for the rookiest of rookies, like urban apprentices and young farmhands)
>>
>>50115134
Yes, but the general assumption for settings is that you can't just go out and buy magic items. I'm pretty sure rare is also always 5000, and uncommon is 500. Besides, the base price of the armor isn't factored into that either.

Bringing magic into it is a crapshoot, because it's going to be about as easy for either character to get +1 armor, and adding in this silk just means that a light armor character that gets it doesn't need that +1 to match the AC of someone in fullplate.

It's a completely unnecessary change that just buffs dex based characters for no real reason, when they already have far better Skills and Initiative compared to a strength based character.
>>
>>50115129
I guess it makes sence, even though it's not like you can minmax a lot on lvl 1, lol.
I personally don't see much fun myself starting as lvl 1 on a short campaign, it usually ends before the actual fun starts.
>>
>>50114925
It's not all tiredness you autist. Plot armor is a mixture of nebulous bullshit that lets a PC keep going, not just tiredness. There is no such thing as "poison damage" or "psychic damage" so damage literally makes no sense in any practical application outside game language, but you only think that way because you are so used to video games.
>>
>>50115008
Easy change I've made in my games, Chain-Shirt is AC13 light armour that gives disadvantage to stealth.
Rangers and Dex-Martials who don't care so much about stealth can still have good AC. Mithral Chain-shirt is a relevant and sought after item, as is Adamantine Chain-shirt.
>>
>>50112029
The only one I recognize there is shaggy and scoobs.
>>
>Be monk in playtest
>Enemy boss laughs at my "mosquito bites"
>"Taste the SWAAAARRRMMM!"
>Nova every ki point into like 14 attacks
Why I can't repeat this, /5eg/, why? it hurts...
>>
>>50115293
>there's no canon Kenshiro atatatata punch attack for monks that you spend all your ki for or something

I wish monks were just better/more fun
>>
>>50115293
they removed everything fun from the playtest, including the fun bits of transmuter wizard and fighter.
>>
>>50114401
Personally I'd be upping charisma instead of getting GWF, and two-weapon-fighting has synergy with improved divine smite.

More chances to crit smite (you can choose to smite after critting) and +1d8 even on the off-hand attack, not to mention usin dexterity which is a better stat to increase than strength. But then again, I already said I'd rather up charisma.

As a matter of fact, with improved divine smite, two-weapon-fighting does more damage than a greatsword without GWM. Naturally, GWM will output a lot of damage, however.
>>
>>50115215
>give you arguments on why game system makes sense and why it doesn't make sense with artificial plot armor hp bullshit
>hurr autism durr video games
Just continue playing your homebrew fanfics if you have nothing else to add, its not my problem if you can't comprehend how the things in the game actually work.
>>
>>50115223
Do you also bump Hide to 13 to work as the entry-level Medium Armor? I've been kind of trying to get around this in general although it's mostly due to my group's idiosyncracies,
>>
>>50115324
>I'd be upping charisma isntead of picking a combat style
You can do both
>>
So to summon a familiar I need a brass brazier charcoal, incense and herbs

so I can have a small brass pan and burn that stuff? How do I actually get it? do these incense or herbs have specific names? or just 10gp worth of incense and herbs
>>
>>50115324
Great Weapon Style =/= Great Weapon Master, anon
That paladin only has Polearm Master as feat for 3 attacks at 5th level with +Str to all of them, TWF doesn't give you that as a Paladin
>>
>>50115321
Transmuter and Fighter had fun bits?
>>
>>50115318
Crazy nova abilities really aren't good design. Monks definitely deserve more options though, both in terms of flavor and mechanics.

>>50115365
That sort of question is best directed at your DM, since everyone handles material components differently. Most of the ones I've played with ignore them entirely, even ones with GP costs.
>>
>>50115321
Don't forget sorcerer's actually being sort of gishes by default!

The playtest had a lot of fun stuff that wizard's inexplicably eliminated.

I blame champion fighter enthusiasts.
>>
>>50115391
>Crazy nova abilities really aren't good design
Yet you have Paladin and Battlemaster
>>
>>50115007

Anyone?
>>
>>50115391
>crazy nova abilities really aren't good design

Justify your position.
>>
>>50115337
>psychic damag
Headaches, blurred vision, loss of focus

>poison damage
Nausea, numbness, burning feelings

>fire damage
Pain, heat stroke, burns

>thunder damage
Tinnitus, arrhythmia, etc

None of this is really meat point damage
>>
>>50115405
People keep saying that the playtest was cool, but was it that good ?
>>
>>50115405
Ditching playtest Sorcerers was a terrible decision, especially since the Gish thing seemed to be specific to Dragon sorcerers so it wasn't even completely removing the possibility of Wild sorcerers being standard squishy blasters.
>>
>>50115361
I'm talking mostly about GWM here. GWM is a big deal when it comes to damage, fighting style isn't really.

>>50115372
Would be better with a higher +str bonus, but if you're focusing charisma (Say, you have a large party or you're going shillelaghpaladin) then you're probably not going to have a high strength.

And I'd still rather have a high dex and only maybe 15 strength for dextrous things.

Honestly sounds a lot better than GWM for a paladin, though. Not something I'd really considered.

You get
1d10+str+1d8, possible smite
1d4+str+1d8, possible smite
Then a reaction attack

There's some powerhouse there, but it's just as valid to forego being a damage-dealer and instead go for rapier+shield + two shortswords (for when you don't feel like being a tanky) and up charisma for save throws and instead just try to be the unmoving brick. Most paladins don't get healing word, so they have to use the full action to heal or something else, and doing lots of damage on the action takes away incentive to use buffs like bless instead.
>>
Since apparently someone beat me to the College of Dance, I'm looking for other ideas for bard college homebrew. I got a couple suggestions in the last thread, but I haven't quite settled on anything yet.
>>
>>50115497
Anon, the paladin in question NEVER had GWM, why are you replying like it had GWM?
>>
>>50115383
transmuter had philosopher stone that could gave him immortality and other fun things, fighter had more moves and points to do them.
>>
>>50115435
It featured a lot more experimentation that went in fun directions. What we ended up getting with the official product is just bog standard DnD, meant to be as unoffensive as possible to as many people as possible. It's the league of legends or roleplaying games, compared to what they were doing, making a dota 2 of role playing games.

league babbies, your game is trash and full of derivative heroes because anything interesting is considered anti-fun.
>>
>>50115507
The College of Unemployment
>>
>>50115509
Because if you're not going to get GWM/PAM then twf on a paladin isn't weird.
>>
>>50115435
I honestly don't mind Playtest Fighter being gone that much because Champion aside it's still 99% it and all the additional Fighter kits have been based on Battlemaster anyway.

Rogue didn't get that many changes, Bard was made castier which is okay but not the direction I'd have gone. Sorcerer, honestly, I think I'd have hated it either way but even in 3e I thought Sorcerer was largely superfluous when bard did the sorcerer fluff better.
>>
>>50115152
>Reach
Bugbear leap attack glaive has 20 reach, hand crossbow has 30/120, longbow has 150/600
>Damage
At level 20, handcrossbow cleanly beats out greatsword in damage (107.5 to 105.33) and accuracy (archery style). Of course at lower levels it's debatable, since you have to either go for crossbow expert or +2 dex, but can't get both until later.
>Athletics
An acceptable reason for grapple or shoving, but that depends on who you're fighting and whether they CAN be shoved/grappled.

Aside from that, full plate w/o shield has +1 AC over any ranged build since you can't use a shield and handcrossbow, and w/shield has +1 AC over a finesse build w/shield, unless they also have heavy armor in which case, why go dex?
>>
>>50115551
>twf isn't weird
Hope you can cast...oh wait, you can't.

PM is 1d10+1d10+1d4+3xStr which is higher than 1d6+1d6+1d6+2xStr. And this was talking about a 5th level Paladin vs 5th level Mystic, there's time to grab GWM if you want in the future.
>>
>>50115507
College of Dirge, based on Dirgesinger
College of the Wild, based on Lyrist
College of the Planks, based on old 2e Thespian with Mime/Acting abilities
College of the Intrigant, for a more courtier focused bard
>>
>>50115431
Again you can't get it by not getting "hit" by it and most of it consitutes as "damage" to the body.
I'm not exactly sure what are you trying to prove here tbhq, just open the rules and figure out how all of these mechanics would work in a roleplaying context. I'm not the one who wrote them so you know.
>>
>>50115595
As much as I can, I'm trying to avoid just adapting earlier classes/archetypes/what have you. (Though I do have the Seeker, because Seekers get no love.)
>>
>>50115595
Though something mime-inspired is tempting...

And I'll write down Intrigant as a possibility.
>>
>>50115615
>Hit points represent a combination of physical and mental durability. the will to live, and luck. Creatures with more hit points are more difficult to kill. Those with fewer hit points are more fragile.
>>
>>50115507
I did a college of tricks a while back based on being a magician. There's no reason you couldn't do another good take on it.

I love prestidigitation btw.
>>
>>50115318
>>50115321
>>50115391
It's funny, if they kept the +1d10 at 11th level monk on all attacks for 1 ki per minute and turned it into 1d6-1d8 and maybe 2 ki per minute that would solve the monk's damage problem
>>
>>50115627
You'll be sad then, as especially 2E had like a million bard archetypes covered.
>>
>>50115672
I'll write it down.

>>50115681
Hence "as much as I can". Coincidental overlap doesn't bother me too much. Though if I really can't think of/find something else I like, I can take a look at the Dirgesinger/Lyrist/Thespian.
>>
>>50115679
The damage only appears if you allow feats. Ban GWM, SS and Magic Initiate and suddenly monk deal as much damage as everyone else.
>>
>>50115744
Part of the issue is that monks are so damn MAD. They need a feature that lets them use wisdom instead of strength for damage rolls, etc.

But then you run into the issue with yet another class legitimately having strength be a dump stat.
>>
>>50115293
I love cheesy comebacks like that
>>
>>50115765
They use Dex instead Str on damage rolls, anon. They only need to rise Dex, Wis and some Con and that's it, sure, they need them as high as possible because they can't rely on armor and shields, but that's hardly a problem.
>>
>>50115744
Sounds to me like the solution is to add a -5/+10 benefit for unarmed attacks as a feat. Maybe give it a couple other benefits.

Should give monks a nice bonus, and might also be helpful for anyone who takes tavern brawler or for races with stronger unarmed strikes.
>>
>>50115765
>Wanting Single-Ability classes again
Go back to PFgen
>>
>>50115765
Monks already have str as dump stat though
>>
>Hand crossbow fighter is only better than GWM when it has 2 feats: crossbow expert and sharpshooter
>With 2 feats a melee fighter can grab polearm master too
>With PAM + GWM a fighter does more damage than hand crossbow
>GWM is already better when you crit or kill someone
>Melee fighters (battlemaster) can use maneuvers to shove and use ripostes
>PAM let you get opportunity attacks easier, increasing even more you damage
>Melee fighter>Ranged fighter
>>
>>50115802
we already have single ability classes though.

There's three fucking charisma based casters.
>>
>>50115660
I wrote on this already, again despite this vague fluff piece, the game system in general implies a specific damage system.
I'm not your mom to tell you not to use your plot armor bullshit, but if you are going to DM with this it's going to be your problem to explain to players, how exactly a poisonous/electric/cused dagger, compared to a regular dagger makes them lose more of their "tiredness/dodge/will to live/plot magic" points, and also in a hundred more of simillar situations.
>>
File: Unearthed Arcanas.png (89KB, 764x640px) Image search: [Google]
Unearthed Arcanas.png
89KB, 764x640px
What does this mean? Are we getting both Mystic update and barbarian options this month? Are UAs about to start coming weekly?
>>
>>50115825
Have fun playing any of them with subpar dex and con.
>>
>>50115824
Yes, but ranged fighter has the advantage of better initiative, better skill availabilities, and the ability to put out their damage more precisely to targets that need it.

It's a tradeoff.
>>
>>50115593
>implying you can't just stow one of your weapons whenever you cast a spell
There's no penalty whatsoever since you'll still have a sword out to do reaction attacks with and you can just draw the sword again next turn if needed.

Unless your DM enforces 'you need both your hands free or a shield to cast a S+M spell'

PM is 1d10+d10+2x str if you're not using a feat, but I've already run through the feat damage and all that up there.

I'm mostly just saying two weapon fighting isn't weird on a paladin.
>>
>>50115765

Monks aren't that MAD. They need dex and wis and that's about it. A little con is nice but not super necessary if you pick up mobility. If you think 5E monks are MAD, you should never play one in 3.5 where they needed wis, str, dex, and con.
>>
>>50115864
it seems as if they're temporarily? increasing the rate of unearthed arcana from monthly to weekly.

also on monday will be 3 barbarian options (excited for that)
>>
>>50115902
For the 1001th time, when discussing rules, use the rules, yes, we're assuming the GM will enforce the actual rules even if you never found one GM that did such a thing.
>>
>>50115902
You only need one hand free to cast spells in 5e. As long as you stow your offhand before casting, you don't need warcaster
>>
>>50115942
You can interact with an item only once per turn as free action though, more than that will take an entire action.
>>
File: 13164646113.gif (693KB, 320x250px) Image search: [Google]
13164646113.gif
693KB, 320x250px
>Volo's killed any goodwill the community has for WotC and the DnD brand name esp after WotC tried to fix it after the 4e debacle

what went wrong?
>>
>>50115902
Sorry for>>50115922, I misunderstood you, I though you meant draw AND stow weapon in the same turn
>>
>>50115955
Stowing one item, then using your action to cast a spell is okay, isn't it? You don't need to draw it again until next turn when you attack, at which point you can draw it for free as part of the attack action anyway
>>
>>50115966
what are you on about?
>>
>>50115966
Inconsistences, upping some races but leaving the mud others (Aasimar/Goliath), etc
>>
>>50115966
3aboos who demand pathfinder 2 aren't "the community" and Volo's is doing the opposite, as is 5e in general.
>>
>>50115907
They also needed int to make use of their skillpool.
>>
>>50115985

don't bite it, god dammit
>>
>>50115922
I said that because I wasn't 100% sure on the spellcasting rules because of the whole 'shield essentially needs no hands' and that because no DM would ever require you to have two hands free that it's essentially irrelevant in the same way that RAW abuse is irrelevant because the DM would rule the much more sensible thing like 'no, your gnome can't ride a human and be 100% effective'.

But as >>50115942 said, I checked, it probably doesn't count as object interaction because it's the same hand that's casting the spell, but then again an object interaction is in the middle of an action and...
That sounds more of a subjective thing as to whether that's enforced, but no DM would ever disallow it unless they're super anal superstar.
>>
>>50115982
>Stowing one item, then using your action to cast a spell is okay, isn't it?
I'll have to reread the manual but I think you can only interact with items as part of movement, action and attack, not as a part of cast spell
>>
>>50115995
>int
>actually needed

Stop it, you're making me think 3.5 is actually good.
>>
>>50116011
You get a free "interact with item" action every turn. For example, pressing a button or opening a door. If you do more than one such thing it takes a full action unless you're a thief rogue who can use a bonus action
>>
>>50115995
Now you're just pulling from the 1d4chan article on monks in 3.X.
>>
So DMs, ran into players who brought in Volo PCs yet?

Ran a game where the players wanted a goblin-centered sandbox where they live the life of goblins while doing their day to day activities, ambushing parties and shit.

It's been fun. Not going for big plot arcs, they just wanna live like goblins.
>>
>>50116006
Majority of GMs, like the vast majority are super anal superstar.
>>
>>50116011
So just move 5 feet, put away your sword when you do so, cast a spell, then draw the blade next turn.

This isn't hard.
>>
>>50116034
Actually I'm pulling from old Giantitp forum posts from a guy who claimed that monks were just as good as wizards in 3.5
>>
>>50116044
>So just move 5 feet
And probably provoke AoO
>>
>>50116040
Maybe if you're playing that one AL thing, what was it, greyhawk? That banned you from playing campaigns anywhere outside of your geographical location and requires you to go to public gameshops to.. Play whatever it was. I don't remember how it works, bet you had to pay money too.
>>
What kind of magical defenses would an artifact museum have? Let's assume Renaissance era tech
>>
>>50116011
I read it as having one free object interaction in addition to your movement and action. After all, sheathing your sword and casting a spell doesn't take more time than moving, sheathing your sword, and casting a spell.
>>
>Pay to DM services

I just learned this exist. What the fuck?
>>
>>50116064
You do know you can circle around someone without provoking AoO, right? It's only when you leave their reach.

It depends what spell you're caating, but you're acting like this is way harder than it actually is.
>>
>>50116069
I don't play adventure league and I played in 3 different cities for the last 2 years, and as someone who also played 3e, 3.5, PF and 4e, believe me, the vast majority of GMs are RAW autismos and only use their special brand of RAI if it benefits them.
>>
>>50116097
It's a significant time investment, someone was gonna try to monetize it sooner or later.
>>
>>50115887
Misty step.
>>
>>50116101
If it's ONE enemy, sure, if it's TWO enemies is pretty hard to move 5ft without provoking from at least one due the whole "moving away". Did you assume you'll always be, as a paladin, in a 1vs1 situation? in 5e is pretty common to be outnumbered.
>>
can we talk about these cool new monsters that aren't playable but totally should be?
>>
any idea on how to escape a court marshal. as a paladin of helm.
>>
>>50116125

Beholder PCs when?
>>
>>50116090
Nothing, if it's a thing it will be small and some lord's little treasure. Museums are a modern thing.
>>
File: races.png (2MB, 1194x847px) Image search: [Google]
races.png
2MB, 1194x847px
>>50116125
dropped my pic
>>
>>50116127
Run faster than him
>>
>>50116121
>relying on spell slots
You'd be fine paste before hitting 3
>>
>>50116156
Mr Scorpyboy there looks like a large sized creature
that's a no no for PC races
>>
>>50116167
>Relying on spells as a caster
Yeah, that's the whole point of the class
>>
>>50116135
I really want to have a wizard with that beholder familiar. I'd imagine the thing would cause all sorts of mischief and the wizard would basically be scolding it all the time.
>>
>>50116097
My local nerdshop does this. The guy is a DM prodigy--he really puts his heart into it. On the other hand, he charges 100 bucks a session, which seems steep until you realize he puts >15 hours into every session. I'm not sure how much the cardshop keeps.
>>
>>50116104
I guess I woudn't know because I only play with friends DMing, and often they'd need reminding on such rules.

If I barely know the rule, I don't expect my friends to know it.
>>
>>50116154
Humor me.
>>
>>50116172
Goliath can be 8ft tall and weigh 350lbs, you don't need to be large size to be huge
>>
>>50116174
There's a nuance between relying on spells and relying on the idea that you will always have long rest goodies ready. Misty Step is only absolutely reliable if you're a lock.
>>
I meant I am a paladin being court-martialed. any ideas to escape from it or how to not be executed
>>
File: 1344625481705.gif (10KB, 184x152px) Image search: [Google]
1344625481705.gif
10KB, 184x152px
>>50116182
>100$
>>
>>50116197
I know, I'm just saying
Also would be kinda lame to play an ogre or something as a PC and have to be medium size for balance. You'd be the tiniest ogre ever
>>
>>50114096
Yes? What else were you going to make a shield out of? What other skill were you planning on using with the hide? Which of the other items did you think the hide was for?

Not trying to sound condescending, I just had all of these questions in my head at once, so I asked all of them.
>>
>>50116196
You wanted renaissance. It might be in some palace room, you're not making it out without bumping into the lord's personal ruffians. But public museums were not a thing.
>>
Which are the worst and least used weapons?
>>
>>50116259
Whip.
>>
>>50116264
>>50116264
>>50116264
>>50116264

New session thread, gents
>>
>>50116225
Sounds pretty reasonable for me if they're putting in a lot of effort, if it's for the whole party.

The DM could hardly profit on that.

However, if it's per person I suppose the DM could profit.
>>
>>50116259
Nets. Essentially useless without Sharpshooter.
>>
Speaking of whips...I made a spiked chain/kusarikama that is basically a 2hd 1d6 whip that works with PM, yay or nay?
>>
>>50115966
Nothing? What are you even talking about? You're acting like this is the Ludevic of 5e.
>>
>>50116124
If there's only 2 enemies, you can move while staying within their reach unless they're positioned very oddly. If there's 3, you can get away with only taking 1 attack, which as a Paladin really shouldn't be a problem, especially since you seem to be fighting a horde of enemies.

Stop pretending like this is some Herculean effort. You are putting away a sword. If you're really that worried, just drop it on the ground in these situations where you're totally surrounded by enemies that Insta-kill with opportunity attacks.
>>
>>50116225
If he does 15 hour sessions, that comes out to 6.66 dollars an hour, below minimum wage.
>>
>>50115850
I honestly can't even tell what your point is. What players are asking "how exactly do these hit points translate to my fighting status?" only online trolls ask that nonsense and only lazy DMs describe losing 5hp when you have 100 as getting stabbed in the gut.

You just explain when called out the circumstances for that damage and not for each hit. "You get caught off-guard and feel pain in your side greater than just the nick of a blade, your muscles seize as a shock travels from the wound leaving you briefly unsteady" already covers a wide range of wear and tear without trying to explain why you have 7 arrows sticking out of you and treat it like nbd.
>>
>>50115029
I don't know why everyone on /tg/ is obsessed with a name Lovecraft dropped like three times in random sentences, but I'm pretty certain that's not how it's spelled.
>>
>>50116332
>Oddly way
Old flanking isn't odd
>only taking 1 attack
One attack less someone which PM receives. The thing is that TWF has more problems than PM on top of dealing less damage
>>
>>50116259
Sickle
>>
>>50116364
The only way you can't stand next to two enemies is if they're flanking you diagonally. The worst case scenario is 4 enemies all on your diagonals, since then you'll need to take 2 attacks. Even with 7 enemies nearby, it's only 3.

And you know what you can do in those situations where enemies surround you this thoroughly? Just DROP the weapon. Boom, free hand even if your DM is autistic about needing to move to she's the a weapon. Then you can cast whatever AoE spell you wanted and presumably solve this problem because apparently you're fighting a horde of weak goblins for 7 of them to swarm you without dying.

You're inventing problems where they don't exist.
>>
>>50115864
>UA every monday!
>hurr are we getting UAs weekly?
Yes, you mongoloid.
It isn't permanent though.
>>
>>50115796
If a single feat is causing such feelings of imbalance, then it's not the class that's the problem, it's the feat. Or maybe it's because you guys are a bunch of min/maxing nerds and so a couple extra damage an encounter is causing you massive analpain? Monks are already really fucking cool and keep enemies stunned, bounce the fuck out of shitty situations and escape to places other martials can't. Most people prefer these things over an extra 5 damage per hit.

But it's not hard to homebrew some feat that's equivalent to GWM/SS. Do you really want to when they so easily eclipse other feats, though?
>>
>>50115994
Opposite of what?
>>
>>50116135
Mindflayers riding beholders, when?
>>
>>50116517
The opposite of killing WotC's good will, I think is what he meant.

And he'd be right. Obviously. You're in 5eg. Almost all of us like 5e and I've seen nothing but positive reactions to Volo's until this troll showed up.
>>
>>50116182
Is this per person or total cost between all players? Also is this a weekly or biweekly campaign, and does he actually put any of that funding into getting new minis and such for the campaign or is he just Ker poo ing most of it to himself?
>>
>>50116663
Keeping**

Damn my auto correct to the nine hells.
>>
So I inadvertently created a 2nd campaign for my players

>party finds a piece of parchment that is "alive", as part of a treasure hunt
>those who read the scroll are slowly taken by madness the more they try to read
>wizard creates a "darkness" elemental, literal manifestation of evil
>it fades into nothing in the air, as the spell was incomplete
>later - after selling the scroll, it's part of a book
>its stolen, and the buyer will not pay them until it is recovered, and even increases the price 10 fold
>dark spirit stole and manages to use the book to manifest are corporeal form
>party tracks the spirit to horrifying shrine of gore amalgamation it created using nearby people, animals, woods, stone etc
>atop the shrine the spirit is trying to cast "dark wish"
>unlucky rolls and party infighting, the spirit actually finishes casting dark wish
>fuck, have to think what does dark wish actually do?
>spirit wishes for all life to be evil
>spell consumes the spirit and reshapes reality
>the party wakes up in a new world that can be mistaken for a hellish plane
>book is floating - but is now light and its pages fly across the world (fuck off its dragon ball tier)
>party must now navigate a familiar, but twisted world to try and reverse the dark wish
>>
>>50115887
The most you can point buy is 15, so you can still nab a +2 in either CON or DEX, even in both if you dump STR.
>>
>>50116483
>mongoloid
Are you the anon I called an illiterate mongoloid a week ago? If so, I'm glad you learned how to read.
>>
>>50115275
That's the point, it's supposed to be out of place.
>>
>>50112566
>my druid saw a drawing of a t-rex so he can turn into a t-rex

Are you literally retarded?
Thread posts: 408
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.