[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /tg/, lets talk homebrew >Do you like it or do y

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: vaquero loco.png (1006KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
vaquero loco.png
1006KB, 750x1000px
Alright /tg/, lets talk homebrew

>Do you like it or do you ban them in your games
>If you do use them, what happens when they conflict with your story? Like, I wanna play a troll and everyone is racist to giant kin
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/5e_Homebrew

Unrelated, I want to play a luchador Minotaur, thoughts?
>>
Homebrews are pretty much universally shit. Let's talk about why:

1) Most homebrewers do not have an ounce of creativity in their bodies or brains. They are homebrewing SOLELY for the ego boost. That lovely ego boost you get from pissing off your friends as you force them to learn your shitty, autistic system.

2) Most homebrewers don't have a fucking clue about game design. They create a concept in their heads and refuse to shift from it to make a competent, functioning game. You can see prime examples of this in every single /gdg/ thread on /tg/. People who provide actual critique are lambasted and whined at for not understanding the homebrewer's oh-so-precious vision. Like most "feedback" threads, what they are really looking for is validation.

3) There is no need for more RPGs, and certainly not from untrained, inexperienced, uncreative "game designers." There is no real point to making yet-another D&D clone, which is 90% of homebrews. Most of the others either apply to shitty "genres" no one wants to play (see: Engine Hearts) or are terrible attempts at some Apocalypse World "hack" (because caling your homebrew a "hack" means it's okay that it's ripping off another system. Whereas "hack" usually refers to the designer who can't even design another system for his shitty 'brew)

Overall, I suggest kicking homebrewers out of your group. They will just cause you hours of aggravation, and get butthurt when you finally lose your patience and call out their "game" as the heap of unbalanced poorly-written shit that it is. Please make sure they know it is shitty, though. Hell, if you can drive them to suicide, all the better. One less wannabe game designer in the world.
>>
Homebrew is good to add variety to a game or solve a problem you have with something you want to do in game but the existing rules don't cover it.

It is not good for self-masturbatory fantasies and power wank.

As for Luchador Minotaur. I tend to like my Minotaur as the union of woman and bull and blessed by the Horned King Baphomet. So a Luchador Minotaur would rather be a terrifying beastman blessed by a demon prince adorned in a war mask who eschews weapons but brutally breaks his opponents with his bare hands.

Probably not even close to what you want though.
>>
>>50075142
Actually, that's not bad at all. When I think of lucha i think of the stereotypical good guy fighting for family and religion. My original idea was to jury rigg a cleric or monk with just a normal race, but I liked the idea of a minotaur cause of all the lucha mask with big ass horns

So a play on the baby face wrestler worshiping Baphomet sounds awesome to roleplay
>>
>>50075022
Dubs of truth, but are you referring to a whole new system being homebrewed? I can agree that's probably gonna be shit, but I think having a decent base game with home made addons work fine as long as it's not completely OP or min maxed to shit
>>
http://dnd-5e-homebrew.tumblr.com/

Here's a tumblr page with some classes
>>
File: 1476058599790.jpg (56KB, 554x439px) Image search: [Google]
1476058599790.jpg
56KB, 554x439px
>>50074934
One of my favorite games was a D&D 3.5 where homebrew was allowed, and just about everyone played a homebrew class from D&D Wiki rated section.

We had to run everything by the DM, but in the end nobody seemed out of balance, and no one character stole the show.

I was a Biomancer if anyone cares

On the flip side, I did have a game I DM'ed once where one character was a homebrewed class based off of Kamina from TTGL.

He was a charismatic party leader that always threw himself in headfirst. Got the party in trouble, but could always back his shit talk up with action.

He was somewhat overpowered, but really the party balanced him well and they rarely if ever lost a fight.

The whole group loved it, even if he stole the spotlight from time to time, because he genuinely played the part well, and was very entertaining to watch and interact with.

I can see how some groups would hate this, so it really just depends on the DM and group involved. Homebrewed stuff in an established setting should be a collaborative decision.

Homebrewed games are a different thing entirely, but I have played a few games that came out well, just depends on the dedication of whomever is making it.
>>
>>50075670
Gr8 story m8
Breaking the norm is whats really appealing to me, as long as it's easy for the DM to work around
>>
Homebrew is just that, a homebrew, if you get enough practice or are talented enough, you can make better shit than what the market can provide. I am currently in game of Dungeons and Cthulhu, combining mechanics from 3.5 and Trail of Cthulhu, and a little Pathfinder because it works. I can say it is one of the more intense games I have played in in thanks to me having some time Co-GMing, (my little monk died) I can say it is going to keep on being epic. If it turns out ok, I might even try and write it up as a setting.
>>
>>50075785
Can you post a pdf with the rules or something like that?
>>
>>50074934
I have created this bastardized version of 5e to work with my Urban Fantasy setting
>>
>>50076381
Post that shit
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.