[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BattleTech General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 47

File: 1477863527152.jpg (37KB, 720x900px) Image search: [Google]
1477863527152.jpg
37KB, 720x900px
The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Save all the PDFs while you can edition

someone else link old thread cause I'm on mobile
=================================

BattleTech video-game pre-alpha gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjEeDz51pHE [Open] [Embed]

Spotlight On: Crescent Hawks
http://www.mediafire.com/file/0dxjflc1r382s2j/E-CAT35SN101_Spotlight_On_Crescent_Hawks.pdf

Touring the Stars: (Ha ha) Butte Hold
http://www.mediafire.com/download/c5ggig1wz21l8r0/
E-CAT35SN210_BattleTech_Touring_the_Stars_Butte_Hold.pdf

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
http://bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
http://bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
http://masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
http://www.solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
http://megameklab.sourceforge.net/

>/btg/ does a TRO:
http://builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing?
http://pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5 (embed)

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
http://pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx (embed)

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
http://megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9q792hobnbpw3/Battletech
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
>>
>>50026731
>>
>>50074929
would veritably accept her batchall
>>
Gentlemen, what can we do to make the FWL more interesting?
>>
>>50075055
Less memes, more plots.
>>
>>50075055
Let them be THE big guy of the post-Dark Age era. That, or at least allow them to survive as a viable, functional state that can throw its weight against the Capellan juggernaut and survive.

They have plenty of interesting sub-factions, and watching them all get their shit in relative order (while still trying to one-up each other) would be great.
>>
>>50075055

The FWL is plenty interesting.

The problem isn't that it's boring, it's that it got sidelined until 3050ish because "lolrebellions" and then got minimal coverage after that until the Jihad.

It's a matter of representation in novels and SBs outside of its own HB/FM that's the problem.
>>
>>50075116
Yeah, that too.

Honestly, all of the Houses have at least some interesting things about them. Problem is, the novels focus on Victor and the Super Friends, so people get tired of FedSuns saturation (with a side of Lyran submersion and Cappie diving). I say that as a Feddie, BTW. Heck, even the Dracs get more fiction. Give the Purple Bird something to make up for Ideal War, and we're on the right path.
>>
File: DSCF1542.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF1542.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
I didn't notice the new thread.

>>50072345
>It's really sad that this game seems to be dead
As far as I'm concerned, save for one or two, EVERY game is dead.
It requires a dedicated few to breathe life into it and build a community. The community needs to reach critical mass before it can grow on it's own.

Lots of people think of Battletech like Warhammer or Warmachine, but it often gets played more like a game of D&D 4e, in that it's taking place in people's homes rather than in the LGS. That makes community building really tough. There's also a lot of grumpy, lazy players who just refuse outright to travel to any sort of LGS to play. More than a few occasions I've run into guys who can only play on days of the week that don't end in "Y", and those who refuse to play anywhere but the comic shop a 2-minute car ride away, forcing others to take public transit for 2+ hours.

Whether it's Battletech, Heavy Gear, or whatever else is still around and kicking, if there are no people dedicated to getting it off the ground, then a community will never form. It was the same with Warmachine and Infinity. They had an easier time because they're made to be more like GW games, but without a core group of players to give it wings, gaming groups never get founded.

As BT players, we've got to go the extra mile to attract new blood. Never play with bare pewters/plastics, 'cause that's not helping BT's image when players expect things to look like a White Dwarf special.

For me, I've got less of an issue of "I've got nobody to play against" but "I've got nowhere to play". There is a place in town that sells RPGs, but it doesn't have any playspace. There's a place in town that has playspace, but the owners only sell CCGs and scowled at me when I asked if it was alright to play BT there so long as I buy their snacks. I had a short lived gaming group out of my apartment, but again... there's no foot traffic there to see it exists.
>>
>>50075055
Stop taking away all of their toys as soon as they get them
>>
>>50075331
What toys did they even have other than LGRs?
>>
>>50075378
They had ER lasers besides the large, LFF, and semi-G LRMs.

The ER lasers were gonna get spread everywhere no matter what. That kind of tech doesn't stay in one place. LFF and Semi-G... honestly just don't have the personality to carry a faction.

Which is why they got their flavor from other sources, like shoving XLs into fast assaults, underarmoring their fast assaults, giving things a fucklot of lasers and LRMs, and putting Artemis on everything.
>>
>>50075055

Have the MOC take over and let the Centrallas run the faction. They were supposed to do that with the Capellans, but doing it with the FWL would be a fine consolation prize, and if the SJWs are running things in the FWL it means that Randall will be asking people to write more about the faction. Everybody wins.
>>
>>50075331

I guess he might be referring to how the FWL and Dracs worked together to develop the GR and PPC variants, but there are more machines in other factions with those weapons and they are used better there than with the originators.

Other than that, IDK. It's not like the LGR and U/AC-10 have exactly proliferated.
>>
FUCK. Muninn, I completely forgot I owed you a TRO writeup. I'll get it to you ASAP once the World Series game is over. And yes, I have some thoughts on the other issue you asked about.

>>50075498
>thatsbait.png
>>
>>50075486
They also had pulse lasers, but those were also going to get spread absolutely everywhere.
>>
>>50075763

Dracs re-discovered the pulse laser, but yes they were going to be widespread regardless.
>>
>>50075570
We're busy with other things at the moment, so no rush.
>>
>>50075763
Pulses were SL tech.
>>
Why does everyone hate Liao so much?
They're the smallest faction with the least amount of hardware and yet people still get to beat up on them and claim to be the good guys.
>>
>>50076338
0/10
>>
File: fuccboi supreme.jpg (11KB, 156x174px) Image search: [Google]
fuccboi supreme.jpg
11KB, 156x174px
>>50076338
No one likes you or your smug fucking face Justin.
>>
>>50076338

Assuming you're not trolling and I'm pretty sure you are the answer is quite simple. Everything that happens from ~3055 onwards with them is blatant authorial fiat. The FWL gives them WarShips, they ignore the presence of AFFC units and conquer worlds that should have been protected, the Periphery signs up to help them re-capture the St. Ives Compact, they inexplicably have one of the most skilled militaries of the period (surpassed only by the FedSuns, IIRC) and in the Dark Age are one of the biggest movers and shakers.

Then on various sides of the argument you've got people who have a chip on their shoulder about the 4th SW and won't be happy until that and more happens to the Suns, people who aren't happy the other national flavours of the CapCon got stripped out in favour of it explicitly being space China, and periphery fans who aren't happy about how their faction(s) suddenly turned into Cappie bitches just because.

I don't think people object to the reversal of their fortunes as such, just the extent of it and the very compressed time frame involved. If it had been a gradual resurgence that would be one thing, but they basically just woke up one day with an extra 20 regiments and started crushing everyone in their path.

To be fair a lot of BT fiction is like that though. The antagonists are always weak idiots who get reamed by the super intelligent, more skilled, and more powerful antagonists.
>>
>>50076484
I still think that they catch a lot of undeserved shit when it comes to pre-3050 lore because of Davion bias, but that's lore I guess
>>
Isn't the PPC supposed to have some sort of EM interference as well as the standard damage?
How would you implement it if so, or is there a rule for it I'm not aware of?
>>
>>50075201
>Give the Purple Bird something to make up for Ideal War, and we're on the right path.
But we already got Star Lord.
>>
>>50076484
Also, the patron author responsible for all that good shit is an actual criminal
>>
>>50074929
That's fucking nicki minaj.

No shit it's nicki minaj

>unf
>>
>>50076621

Not really, 'Mechs are hardened against it.

I think the only time it ever came up in a novel was a bit of static over the radio.

I know it happens in the video games but I assume that's more to give the PPC some kind of point over Gauss Rifles, which you also have to lead with. So it's either lead + more damage or lead + enemy debuff.
>>
http://catalystgamelabs.tumblr.com/post/152663332826/battlemech-manual-development

Stuff on the upcoming rulebook.
>>
>>50077600
>And I’m incredibly proud of it. It has a clarity of rules and explanations and a depth of options to cover well
>My watch-word on this has been trying to create a book that “95 percent of the players will use 95 percent of the time.”
iveheardthisbefore.jpg
I'll believe it when I see it honestly
>>
>>50077600
I thought Xotl was writing this? How does Randall have time between tweeting, running podcasts and working on Valiant stuff?
>>
>>50078085
Xotl is writing it. But BT is traditionally not a line that talks about its authors, so it's not surprising that he didn't mention me.

That having been said, I did just taking his text from TW as a starting point, and he's personally reviewing every chapter line by line, so he can easily talk about it in his own light.
>>
>>50078030
I mean, the fucking world series is in extra innings in game 7 with the goddamn cubs in it, anything is clearly possible now
>>
>>50076089
>>50076006
I thought there was a period during which the FWL was noted for putting pulse lasers on everything?
>>
>>50078180
>Xotl will from this point forward refer to himself in the third person.
>>
>>50078185

Including a city that had rain today being set on fire because baseball
>>
>>50078201
Xotl is pleased.
>>
File: 250px-Elemental_Female.jpg (29KB, 250x539px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Elemental_Female.jpg
29KB, 250x539px
>>50074929
Posts more Battletech hotties!
>>
>>50078217
As another Xotl, Xotl is not pleased. Xotl must be in third person plural.
>>
Thoughts on the Tessen/remote c3 in general.
I'm assuming it works like the slave where you just use the range from the remote module?
This seems really useful, particularly if you have time to prep an ambush. Can they be removed by infantry or anything like that?(besides ECM)
>>
>>50078210
Wait what
>>
>>50078238
Thus began the War of the Xotls.
>>
>>50078187

That would be the period known as "ever since they were re-introduced."

It is also notable for being a period where *everyone* was putting pulse lasers on everything.

There are probably two issues here.

One is that in original continuity very little advanced tech was available before 3050 and the Outreach summit. What was around was pretty much limited to Freezers, Listen-Kill missiles, and whatever the NAIS was doing. Then the NAIS with Dragoon assistance opened up all of LosTech at once, hence TR 3050.

There have been a variety of retcons to that over the years culminating in what we have now with the TechManual and similar sources. Which is fine by itself but runs head-first into a number of problems. In original continuity it made sense for the AFFC to have the best of everything since they developed pretty much all of it and had the NAIS. Now though the other factions developed some stuff several years before it was acquired by the Suns yet they're the ones who got it onto production models first and used it best because that's what the pre-retcon TRs said, which doesn't make any sense. Logically the factions who developed a tech should be the ones using it on production models first and should probably be the ones using it best.

I'm OK with the retcons in a general sense because a gradual recovery makes more sense than an overnight one but it really fucks with the setting in a lot of ways so you basically have to ignore it because of the continuity conflicts it causes.

>>50078286

Remote C3 doesn't impress me really. If it could exceed the normal C3 limit then it might have some useful applications but as it stands if you have the kind of time and assets needed to make proper use of it you can do better with minefields, hidden units, and pre-plotted artillery any way.
>>
>>50078290

Chicago is basically a powder keg full of alcohol-fueled fans right now, as we start the 10th inning. We had rain earlier, I expect fires anyways.
>>
>>50078330
I presume this is one of those "riot if they win, riot if they lose" sort of situations?
>>
>>50078350

The pucker factor for this city is currently high enough to rival an African diamond mine. Everyone I know here is out at the bars watching the game. Nothing is getting done tomorrow here because of a collective hangover, win or lose.
>>
>>50078350
Yep.
> celebratory gunfire kills 53 in chicago
Just wait for the morning papers
>>
>>50078307
We are all Xotl.
>>
>>50078187
>>50078328
They put pulse lasers on stuff even after the 3050 "upgrades"
>>
File: Free World League.jpg (397KB, 2175x1095px) Image search: [Google]
Free World League.jpg
397KB, 2175x1095px
>>50075055
more member subfactions
>>
File: CSR01.png (1MB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
CSR01.png
1MB, 800x800px
>>50078224
K. I should make more of these now that I have more free time.
>>
File: LC01.png (1MB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
LC01.png
1MB, 800x800px
>>50078650
>>
File: WD01.png (969KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
WD01.png
969KB, 800x800px
>>50078696
>>
File: 1365393200881.gif (3MB, 350x262px) Image search: [Google]
1365393200881.gif
3MB, 350x262px
>>50078396
C U B S
U
B
S

HAHAHAHA
>>
Stay safe, Chicagoians.
>>
Okay, so I've been into BT for like six years now but I was completely unaware of the /btg/. Can someone catch me up on the general reason that everyone(players) hates everyone(factions)?
Are there any factions/anything that everyone agrees are somewhat alright?
>>
>>50078955
Because h8 is the easiest b8
>>
>>50078955
>Are there any factions/anything that everyone agrees are somewhat alright?
Anything but clanner scum
>>
>>50079054
Doesn't everyone hate cappies?
>>
I forgot baseball existed

thanks btg, I guess
>>
>>50078955
Each community has its own faction hate fest, often based on other faction loves in other communities.
100% objective faction hate fest:
Davions: "good guys" in the early game history, won a lot. Beneficiary of magic warehouses full of mechs at key times.
Capellans: Despite getting completely stomped by above, became dominant in similarly fiat-filled writing after the Davion win streak.
Clan Wolf: won a lot, popular, so disliked
Clan Ghost Bear: see above, has taken over that spot (except less popular and more winning).
Word of Blake: hated by grognards for ushering the Dark Age, an unpopular setting with some.

Then there's niche hate: Taurians (tend to have dumb fans, if you follow the official forums), Canopians (if women doing anything makes you scream SJW, you hate them).

Dunno, am I missing anyone?
>>
>>50078955
Faction hate is 100% baiting. Pure and simple. Being that angry about fake space people doing fake space things with giant robots that violate square-cube and would be impractical as hell is pants-on-head retarded. As is fanboyism in general. So don't worry about it. If you like playing by lore and a faction appeals to you, play as it. If someone refuses to play with you because of it, you dodged a bullet; thank your lucky stars they were kind enough to remove themselves from your game experience.
>>
That's fair.
But what about far country?
>>
>>50078185
>ucking world series is in extra innings in game 7 with the goddamn cubs in it

That reminds me. NEA, are you drinking? Because you should have been drinking.
>>
>>50079109
>Dunno, am I missing anyone?
I'd include a point about the fact that the taurians and canopians have fans who will actually defend them here, which makes them more tempting targets for bait-hate.
But otherwise, yeah, you've fairly summed it up
>>
>>50079151
Not NEA, but I've been drinking all game and I'm prwtty fucking loaded right now
>>
>>50079151
>are you drinking?

It's the Cubs in Game 7 of the WS. One of the most tension-filled games of *anything* I've ever watched, and that includes some triple-OT Stanley Cup-clinching games, and winning my Bloodname at GenCon whilst losing initiative 14 turns consecutively, on terrible terrain, with an open cockpit from a 1st-turn headshot, against a guy with a ton of crit-seeking.

What the hell do you think? On a completely unrelated note:

>>50076057
>>50075570
>I'll get it to you ASAP once the World Series game is over.

ASAP may be a little later than I first expected when the game started.
>>
Man, 2016 is officially the maddest year in sports; leicester winning the fucking premiership at 5000:1, cubs winning the series, fuck, what's next, the leafs take the cup?
>>
>>50079309
What faction are the Cusb?
>>
>>50079309
Hartford Whalers in surprise victory.
>>
Speaking of the Cubs winning the world series, have any of you played MegaMek, had a draw and the game tell you that the winner is the Chicago Cubs? I've had BATTLETECH! moments where the last machines on both sides died from critical hits in the same round so nobody was the winner and the Cubs won the game. When that happened I loved it.

What do we know about the guys that make the MegaMek software? Are they from Chicago or something?
>>
>>50079327
I hate to say it, but the taurians are probably the closest; they've got the extremely long losing streak and stubbornly dedicated fanbase, but they'll never have a comeback like this one so it isn't exactly right
>>
>>50075213
You forget the fact that BT is not only a chore to play (I've been interested in BT for a decade, I have never played a single game of it due mostly to complexity).
Has a million source books (Even asking what books you need IN THESE THREADS is often met with multiple, completely different replies).
BT Grogs are terrible people (So you got some models from Warhansa, trying to make a pleb lance or what; literally a reply I've seen in these threads).

On top of all that the minis look like hot dogshit except for the aforementioned. Everything being hexes makes terrain a pain unless you use 2D battlemats, because what asshole makes his terrain hex shaped unless you only play BT?

BT players actively scoff at new players because they haven't read a gorillion books on esoteric fluff.

This is why people don't play BT.
>>
File: ER PPC Bait.png (53KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
ER PPC Bait.png
53KB, 500x501px
>50079408
No (you)s for you.
>>
File: 1354013574388.gif (990KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1354013574388.gif
990KB, 400x225px
>>50079335
OMG why must you cause this agony? Why? Why does Florida have TWO HOCKEY TEAMS FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
>>
>>50074929
Any more of those builds of other stuff? Like these Gundam ones?
>>
File: 1478149344088.jpg (252KB, 1365x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1478149344088.jpg
252KB, 1365x1024px
>>50079383
I had this happen three times.
>>
>>50079462
He does have a point with the minis, a lot of them are janky as fuck and to a new player finding good quality shit is a chore within itself
>>
>>50078955
>Are there any factions/anything that everyone agrees are somewhat alright?
Not really, no... but that's why there are different factions. Different strokes for different folks, but there's no real "Right" answer.

Lots of spite from back in the Fasa days. TROs aren't too imbalanced now, but Fasa handed the keys of the best toys to only some of the factions. Obvious animosity ensues when your stuff is objectively worse than the other guys' for no reason but author fiat.

Some people choose factions because of the lore, some people because of the equipment and playstyle, some people just choose their favorite colored robots and roll with it.
>>
>>50079408
I love BT but yeah, actually playing is a tremendous pain in the ass. I only consider it viable due to Megamek.
>>
>>50079938
What, seriously? Besides going out to the LGS to play a game and cat-wrangling players, I've never had a problem with it - but that's nothing to do with the game itself.
>>
File: 1300654088526s.jpg (5KB, 251x189px) Image search: [Google]
1300654088526s.jpg
5KB, 251x189px
>50079408
Is this vroom vroom?
>>
>>50079983
Rolling two dice and consulting a chart once in a while is hard, I guess. After a while you pretty much memorize hit locations, and what roll equals what # of crits. Marking pips with a pen is a lot of work too. I can get a lance on lance battle done at a casual pace in a few hours and I play maybe once every two months if I'm lucky. Might start a pickup campaign soon though; crossing my fingers.

To be fair, some people prefer easier-playing games. If you start including smoke, infantry, Aero assets, and all that, it can get pretty hairy. I just use vees, VTOLs, and 'Mechs myself. Easier, and plenty enough options for non-repetitive play.
>>
>>50079983
>>50080093
Well, I generally prefer 8+ mech a side, BA, hidden movement and smoke, and various others rules. Hidden movement and smoke especially are a LOT easier with MM. But even for the simple stuff it takes a long-ass time to resolve compared to most games.
>>
>>50080093
What I'm saying.

I haven't touched any of the Dark Age stuff yet, mind (I don't play it if I don't have a mini for it, and since I've been away from my home country since 2013 and have no clear definition of what or where my future is headed, adding to my pewter minis collection isn't what I should be doing), but playing during the Jihad Period was always a cakewalk. Dark age stuff started expecting people to lug more books, but people seem to be managing it, or just playing earlier eras...

That, and CGL seems to be gearing up to put out more introtech support with the 1st Succession Wars sourcebooks and finally making unseen that look like they fit in 3025.

'Course, I've always recognised there were a lot of introbox-final-destination types out there. Fasa/CGL's constant pushing the story forward and avoiding them meant a pretty big potentially untapped market. Also makes it tougher for new players to get into the fold. They should have been continuing making stuff like First Strike and making products that support LGS play this whole time.
>>
>>50080166
There's your problem. Hidden Movement is a nightmare of a tabletop rule best reserved for at-home play in a campaign, not pickup games at an LGS.

TW 6000 bv and 4 units per side, and it shouldn't be a problem. If you start tacking large unit numbers and extra crunch, of course it's going to get bogged down. It's like complaining you're not able to lose weight on a diet of ice-cream and KFC.

It's not a Battletech-exclusive problem, it's a tacking on too many rules problem. especially the hidden movement rules, if you tried using the same thing in any other minis game it'd bog down too.
>>
>>50080166
Yeah going blind/double blind will be really hard without a moderator, and so MM is vastly superior for that kind of game.

>>50080194
Yeah, I keep it simple myself. If I need more than the Intro box chart and TW, I am doing it wrong. Hell the campaign I am planning to start soon will have homebrew salvage rules and use BV as currency instead of Cbills to keep things on a more even keel regarding new combat units/pilots and repairs/upgrades. It'll be a kinda odd system, but hopefully easy and painless for transitions between missions.
>>
>>50080265
I don't even do campaigns. I do pickup games at the LGS. I've even made pre-made forces calculated at 6000 BV so that I or my players can just grab and go.
Games bog down when you don't know the rules, or when you Hmm and Haah your way through every move, considering the firing lines and the pros and cons of each individual hex. The game itself isn't altogether slow, it's just that the terrain, movement, and positioning matters, so some players really stretch things out.

Run grinders like they do at cons, and players have a whale of a time.

Besides, if I just took an hour to get out to an LGS to play a game, I'm not looking to play for fifteen minutes and then go home.
>>
>>50079462
>>50080027
Refute the points autismo.
>>
>50080339
go home, vroom vroom
You went to an lgs and talked shit about players' minis, and then got butthurt that they refused to play with you afterwards.
You got exactly what you deserve. Have fun calling people dinosaurs.
>>
>>50080379
>Implying any FLGS plays battletech.
>Implying BT players don't talk shit about BT minis themselves.
First, I'm not vroom. But nice attempt at a strawman.

Secondly, even other BT players agree with me. You colossal retard.

Third; Your attitude is why people don't play BT, you just try to deflect any criticism and call people names while other players of the game acknowledge the short comings.

You probably have autism, thinking anyone who doesn't agree with you is an internet bogeyman.

I feel bad for you.
>>
>>50080420
You don't read the books
You don't collect the minis
You don't play the game
You don't like the players

...so what brings you here, then? "Interested" how, when you've prattled off pretty much everything about the game as being "Bad"?
What "names" besides "Vroom Vroom"?
>>
>>50078494

So did literally everyone else. The FWL did not have a greater preponderance of them.

LGRs, on the other hand? Yes, they have a marked propensity towards them.

>Captcha: HOTEL COLON

Not sure if good operation name or terrible place to stay.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (124KB, 854x708px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
124KB, 854x708px
>>50080500
Am I seriously the only player out there who gets within 2 hexes of an opponent and make use of the -2 to hit?

Wraiths are great.
>>
>>50080523
Wraiths would be better with five MPLs instead of the LPL/2xMPL. You are gonna do exactly what you're saying anyway so why bother with "long range" weapons? Hell even quad MPLs is better if you don't want to run hot.
>>
>>50080557
I could see that, but as is, it's far from bad.
The option of LPL is still nice, in case you've lost the init roll and have to play keep-away, but still want to hit something.

I'm not so much a fan of the ER Mediums. Unless heat dissipation is at a premium, the extra hex or two just doesn't do it for me.

Are VSPs still being made anywhere? I've come to love using them thanks to a few Dark Age configs I've come across.
>>
>>50080523

IS MPLs basically only have two uses. On something fast and preferably jumpy to be used offensively, or on something slow and used to threaten things that are fast or jumpy to try and keep them back a bit.

>>50080557

I used to think so but the LPL on it is good for killing IS lights. Some of them can be a little faster and the extra range helps a lot. I can see both arguments but the LPL allows it to do more than just bounce around in close, while going to 5 MPL+1 DHS or 4 MPL is going to limit you to just that.
>>
>>50080523
リブギゴ?
>>
>>50080606
I don't know my Gundams, man.
The original was going for a grim reaper sort of look, the art in tro 3055 gave it a wasp-like paintjob.
>>
>>50080583
VSPLs are so good if you like bleeding-edge shit. Them and XPLs. MXPLs are amazing.

I would think the FWL and ComStar would have them, since the Quasimodo features them doesn't it?

>>50080599
True. I just don't care for the ISLPL that much; it's just god awful compared to the Clan one. Like, so much moreso than other comparisons. But yeah, I can see it as a stand-off weapon. I mean, not everything has to be minmaxed. I like the Wraith; it was one of the best units to come out of TRO 3055. Even back then my young self knew enough to overreact at that thing's speed and jump, and the fact that the fire it put out was so goddamn accurate.
>>
File: wraith0.gif (12KB, 352x400px) Image search: [Google]
wraith0.gif
12KB, 352x400px
>>50080656
I'd say even the old 3055 art had a roachy look.
>>
File: 1325759254087.jpg (45KB, 311x388px) Image search: [Google]
1325759254087.jpg
45KB, 311x388px
>>50080721
The CCG art loses it since it lacks the antenna.
>>
>>50080583
VSPs I like thanks to that -3 to hit, and heat be damned if it means having a gun that can actually land shots. I'd love a Venom config that used them.

X-Pulses... I'm not thrilled about. Tried the Prototypes Grasshopper with the torso mounted cockpit, and it just ran too hot, but it was nice to have on the Shockwave.
>>
>>50080721
You might be right.
Though honestly, TRO 3055 was my first BT book, and my first thought was "Grim reaper".

I don't think I'd ever seen a roach IRL until I was in university, so I hadn't made that connection.
>>
>>50080721
I honestly always thought of it as a bug-themed Luchador. It jumped really far, after all. LPL off the turnbuckle anyone?
>>
>>50080583
I made a pretty decent Wraith variant that tore out the LPL for an VSMPL, and upgraded the MPL to MXPL.
It managed to be heat neutral and cost less BV than the standard Wraith while still offering a similar range profile
>>
>>50080781
On that note. Not sure why Davion players were complaining about getting the Agrotera.
Got one from the unit market in AtB and gave it a whirl. It's a little warm, but it's lovely, and a lifesaver in the ever-common "Pitch Black" maps.
>>
>>50080823
Wait... Agrotera's aren't a Davion mech...
Why were they complaining about them being bad, then?
>>
>>50080742
>X-Pulses... I'm not thrilled about.
Smalls and mediums are just about right I think, but the larges just generate way too much heat.

The weirdest thing about X pulses is how much push they've gotten in the DA given clan tech being more common. Other stepping stone techs like NLRMs barely get used compared to Clan LRMs, but for whatever TPTB just usually tossed X pulses on things instead of Clan ones.
>>
>>50080837
Probably complaining about the MoC/Cappies having them. They got a LOT of bullshit good 'Mechs that were basically better versions of what other factions already had during that time, and I say that as someone who has little vested interest in that era or either of those factions as far as that era is concerned.
>>
>>50080837
EVERY MECH IS A DAVION MECH

TURKINA Z IS STAPLE AFFS ASSAULT
>>
Why can't AMS be used offensively?
What if you could hit an enemy cockpit...
>>
>>50080861
And as we all know, every Davion mech is a mercenary mech.
>>
>>50080889
I imagine that the AMS rounds don't have the penetrating power. They're not enough to take down an Arrow IV missile, and can only sometimes take down a Thunderbolt missile. Missiles are probably not something that needs a lot of penetrating power to break through. AMS at 12shots/ton probably spits out lots of low-cal stuff at crazy firing rates.

Also, AMS is kind of automated. I could see it being handy to override against infantry, but not punching through even cockpit armor.
>>
>>50080854
"They" being the Davions or the Cappies?
Davions having better toys than everyone else has been par for the course since at least TRO 3058 - if not earlier.

Capellans... eh... I didn't notice anything too broken. The Gun is kind of cool and I'd like to get a mini of it sometime down the road.
>>
>>50076621
I'd reckon that a PPC would generate a pretty big EM pulse at the time of firing, as well as a big EM field while charging/charged. However if it was confined to a thick metal container then there would be little leakage from the PPC itself, except in certain directions. The metal surrounding the PPC would dissipate the field as a loop current, getting slightly hotter in the process.

There might be some unusual electrostatic effects emerging from targets being hit by the PPC. Charged particles would impart their charge onto the net charge of the 'Mech. Maybe some little lightning bolts would come out of the 'Mech to the planet's surface or something, in order to rebalance the charges.

Also anything being hit by the PPC would potentially become radioactive depending on the nuclear reaction that follows.
>>
>>50080889
TacOps, anon. An AMS can operate as an MG with a range of 1. Laser AMS act like a micro pulse laser with range of 1.
>>
File: Mary Sue Complement.png (103KB, 1114x832px) Image search: [Google]
Mary Sue Complement.png
103KB, 1114x832px
>>50080890
Am I doing it right?
>>
File: jEdONUB.gif (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
jEdONUB.gif
2MB, 640x360px
>>50081084
Did not know this, neat
>>
>>50081312

No, your ASFs are shit.

Go get some fucking Eisensturms, god damn.
>>
>>50081406
But it's only 3059, the Eisensturm isn't released until 3063. And by that point I'll have run out of Clan scum to kill. Since I've eliminated 18 Galaxies worth of Clanners in 7 years.
>>
>>50081426

You've got a lot of custom units and the only Eisensturm worth using is the basic model with 2 GRs, 2 LLs, and 2 MLs any way. All of the stuff it uses is 3050 tech, they just never went there at the time because the design paradigm OOC then was for slower ASFs with more guns rather than the brick fighters of '67+.
>>
>>50081459
I was saving up for an Aegis before MHQ stopped being able to load the saves. Plus the ASFs are more for appearances than actual use, since the balancing system MHQ uses meant I was throwing Stars at Trinaries.
>>
>Shadow Hawk
>Phoenix Hawk
>Thunder Hawk
>Hawkwolf
Am I missing someone?
>>
>>50082327
Battle Hawk
Black Hawk
Crimson Hawk
Stooping Hawk
Falcon hawk
Night Hawk
Goshawk
Warhawk
Jade hawk
Tomahawk

And for non mech units:
Hawk Moth
Winterhawk
Bluehawk
Bat hawk
>>
>>50082327
>>50082385
BT writers are obsessed with hawks, scots and jews
>>
>>50082385
>Falcon hawk
what a stupid name
>>
>>50082498

Isn't it named after the J-31 fighter? Which is called the "Falcon Hawk".
>>
>>50080523
Wraiths are gr8
Stick a targeting comp in that thing with four mpls and it's even more nuts
>>
>>50080948
People are just mad that the cappies got some good stuff for once instead of endless vindicators
>>
File: Romano Liao or whatever.gif (481KB, 158x281px) Image search: [Google]
Romano Liao or whatever.gif
481KB, 158x281px
>>50083321
True dat. They hate us for our greatness.
>>
File: refits.png (44KB, 651x894px) Image search: [Google]
refits.png
44KB, 651x894px
Got two refits to run by y'all for a Liao force in 3139.
Are either of these unreasonable?
>>
>>50082777
Given that the mech dates to the mid 90s and the plane has only been known of for about five or six years, no.

I kind of doubt BT invented the base term, but I can't find any actual bird labelled as such, and yes hawks and falcons are different things.

Personally I find the oddest part of the name is that it's an old SL machine though. Falcon Hawk puts in my mind something like a chicken hawk, suggesting a hawk that preys on falcons, which would make you think it's a 3050s Fedcom/Lyran design named in a similar vein to the Falconer.
>>
>>50083375
The Tcomp on the Cicada is a bit odd, but by that era it's spread enough that it's just a bit odd, not "what the fuck" like putting stealth on a 3060s davion design would be.
>>
>>50083375
The Cicada looks like it would be a real pain in the ass to deal with. I like.
>>
>>50083543
Feel free to steal, It's hella nasty.
My current list is just two of each with one of the Dervish at 3/5 and it's right at 6k.
I usually have the missile ammo split more evenly though.
>>
>>50083321
Whats wrong with the vindicator? I love that little bastard of a mech.
>>
>>50083860
I love it too, but it's not exactly a mech that strikes terror into the hearts of davrats
>>
>>50083860
It's a bit worse than it's contemporary infantry mechs, at least in Succession Wars era
>>
>>50083860
It can't torso twist.
>>
>>50083973
Wait, really?
>>
>>50083982
Yes. Read the entry. Typical Capellan cost saving measure.
>>
>>50084001
How are the capellans even a big faction...
>>
>>50084027
Porchbux ;^D
>>
>>50084027
For the same reasons every big faction is a big faction: Setting momentum, and authors having no idea what they're doing. Pretty much all of the states should have collapsed on themselves hundreds of years before.

The setting is an excuse to have giant robots fight each other, don't look at it too closely. That way lies madness and autism.
>>
>>50084027
It's too much trouble to invade them because the populace becomes the most passive aggressive motherfuckers when occupied by a foreign power.
One of the advantages of statism.
>>
>>50084027
Plus it's not like we have anything worth stealing
>>
>>50084360
Yeah it's crazy how Capellans traded freedom and higher standards of living away to become non-citizens and have their children literally be property of the state.

Statism is a hell of a drug.
>>
>>50084446
Can you explain this I don't know cappie lore very well.
>>
>>50084463

Caps went from freedom and having food to starving space communism where no one is actually a citizen when they're born, they have to earn it by doing shit.
>>
>>50084463
I meant Capellans living on worlds in the former Sarna and Tikonov Commonalities, that were the Sarna March under the FedCom, rising up to ditch guaranteed liberties, right to be a parent to your child, natural citizenship, etc, to support the Confederation when it invaded in 3057.
>>
>>50084446
If Liao hadn't gone statist they would have collapsed in the 2600s
It was the right decision for the good of the nation.
>>
>>50084481
>>50084486
Well that sounds like an awful idea, how Cappie of them.

Shame I kinda like a lot of their mechs.
>>
File: CapCit.png (56KB, 305x449px) Image search: [Google]
CapCit.png
56KB, 305x449px
>>50084446
>>50084463
The Capellans basically have two groups: Citizens and Servitors. Citizenship is earned by serving the state, and gives some basic rights and government services. Servitors are pretty much exactly medieval serfs, though they can attempt to get citizenship again every 10 years. This being BT, there's contradictory information on the relative sizes of these two groups (and it probably varies significantly between planets and years).

And, of course, each side in internet debates likes to twist it their way ("Everyone is a servitor and parents lose their children" vs "only the worst are servitors and the state cares for all").

Basically, it's Starship Troopers crossed with Feudalism.
>>
>>50076812
What
>>
>>50084588
Civilians in Starship Troopers weren't serfs and their children weren't owned by the state.
>>
>>50084664
No, non-citizens just straight up weren't allowed to have kids.
Read the book.
>>
>>50084087
I'm new to all this. What is this meme? I have seen it before.
>>
>>50084747
Rico's parents were civilians and had him. Actually READ the book, dumbshit.
>>
>>50084747
You have to get a license. Civilians can get them but it's easier if you're a citizen. Sad!
>>
File: ehehehe.gif (2MB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
ehehehe.gif
2MB, 400x240px
>>50084747
>>50084789

>"READ IT"
>"NO YOU READ IT"
>neither of them actually read it
>>
>>50084747
>non-citizens just straight up weren't allowed to have kids
>main character's parents are non-citizens yet he exists and the book is about his journey to get citizenship

I need a Drake reaction pic
>>
File: 1474990810345.jpg (96KB, 622x735px) Image search: [Google]
1474990810345.jpg
96KB, 622x735px
>>50084838
>he didn't read it either
>>
Everyone knows which is the best version of ST
>>
File: 52913.jpg (120KB, 800x380px) Image search: [Google]
52913.jpg
120KB, 800x380px
I am revealed as a dumbass
Here is the correct picture
>>
>>50084836
He probably meant that, couldn't admit he was wrong, so shitposted this >>50084838 to stir it up while he disappears.

Anywho, it's an overrated book so let's move on.

What's the best weight range of mechs to introduce new players to the game in?

I know a lot of guys use light mechs, but I've seen it argued that it's better to use mediums or heavies with a range of weapons.
>>
>>50084938
I'd say mediums because they have more going on than heavies, but also don't take so long to kill that the game length is too drawn out.
>>
>>50084950
correction
more going on than lights*
>>
>>50084938
>tfw you get accused of shitposting for someone else

Mediums particularly, and heavies a close second. Enough armor to shield their mistakes, and enough firepower to do something. You wouldn't start a bunch of brand new players off with bugs, for example.
>>
>>50084938
55 ton trio Mechs are a good start, as are the Chameleon and Merlin.
>>
>>50084938
Introtech mediums to start with. Nice balance of mobility, firepower, and armor for starting out, and unlike lights you don't run into a lot of situations with most shots being 10+. Plus it tickles, but doesn't constantly run into, the heat scale, giving them a taste of heat management but not an overwhelming "HEAT BAD" reaction.
>>
>>50084938
I like a mix of mediums and heavies.
The 55 ton trio, merlin, thud and warhammer are favourites of mine
>>
File: Roughnecks.jpg (21KB, 480x326px) Image search: [Google]
Roughnecks.jpg
21KB, 480x326px
>>50084936
I think not. Pic related. Though >>50084922 is one of the best Gundams.
>>
/btg/, what are the defining trooper mechs for each of the following powers? I want to put together an IS Troopers Only Deathmatch scenario that includes all of these factions but I don't know all their troopers. Give a guy a hand?

FedSuns
Lyrans
Dracs
Capellans
FWL

Taurians
Magistracy
Outworlds
Marians

RWR
Star League
Terran Hegemony
ComStar
WoB
>>
>>50085148
Which era/ tech level? This is important
>>
>>50085223
Sorry, forgot that, my bad. Let's shoot for Civil War era for the houses/periphery/ComStar/WoB and Amaris Civil War for the RWR/SL/TH.
>>
>>50085148
I assume introtech, so....
>FedSuns: Enforcer
>Lyrans: Griffin-1S
>Dracs: Dragon
>Capellans: Vindicator
>FWL: Trebuchet/Orion
>Taurians: Thunderbolt
>Magistracy: Shadow Hawk
>Outworlds: Merlin
>Marians: Centurion (barely)
>RWR: Phoenix
>Star League: Crab
>Terran Hegemony: Mackie-6S
>ComStar: Crab
>WoB: Lineholder
>>
>>50085148
>Fedsuns
Enforcer, but the Centurion fits in a pinch.
>Lyrans
Griffin
>Dracs
Panther. You would think one of the Dragon series but it's really used more as a command ride than a straight trooper.
>Liao
Vindicator
>FWL
Depends on the province, but Trebuchet is always a solid choice, followed by the Hunchback
>Taurians
Pre-RW - Tauros
Otherwise, stuff they cranked out of their Star League factories
>Star League
They made so much stuff they really don't have a defining trooper. Pick one out of a hat.
>RWR
See Star League, plus a few unique designs
>Comstar
See Star League
>Wob
See Comstar
>>
>>50085343
>They made so much stuff they really don't have a defining trooper.
Crab, m8. Starslayer if you go later, but the Crab was the intended universal medium for the SL.
>>
>>50085280
>Magistracy
>Shadow Hawk
That's their assault. Their trooper is probably a Stinger in the introtech era.
>>
>>50085483
Nah. That was the intention of the people who built it, but it never made it even close to that far. Less than a thousand of them were made in over thirty years of production.
>>
>>50085148
>FedSuns
Enforcer

>Lyrans
Grifffin

>Dracs
Dragon/Grand Dragon

>Capellans
Vinicator

>FWL
Trebuchet, but you could argue for others "by province"

>Taurians
Toro or Thunderbolt, depending on era or definition

>Magistracy
Shadow Hawk (by virtue of having nothing else but bugs)

>Outworlds
Merlin (by virtue of having nothing else but bugs)

>Marians
Centurion (by virtue of having nothing else)

>RWR
Phoenix

>Star League
Hard to say. There's a good argument for the Archer, given the production numbers, but it kinda comes back to how you define "trooper". Crab would also be a good choice.

>Terran Hegemony
IMO they didn't really have one. Mackie would be my choice, but it's not a "trooper" by any reasonable definition.

>ComStar
Crab

>WoB
Grim Reaper is best for the WoB, IMO, though one could argue for the Initiate. It's also one of the only mediums they have that can fit the definition of "trooper" at all; most WoB Mechs in the 40-75 tons range are fast mediums (Wraith, Lightray, Preta), high-end expensive heavies (Dragon Fire, Grigori, Deva), or line-of-battle heavies (Perseus, Toyama)
>>
>>50085641
>Terran Hegemony
>IMO they didn't really have one. Mackie would be my choice, but it's not a "trooper" by any reasonable definition.
Fite me. The Mackie should have been in production from its introduction until the heat death of the universe.
>>
>>50085641
>but it's not a "trooper" by any reasonable definition.
I dunno buddy, the -6S stands up with most of the other machines you listed on a fairly even basis
>>
>>50080861
>>50080890
So let's pretend I'm REALLY new to this entire thing and literally only know about it by watching Ouchie's, NGNG, reading the Blood of Kerensky trilogy, and starting the Legend of the Jade Phoenix trilogy.

What kind of mechs do mercenary companies have? Which mechs are faction-specific? What about other stuff like sexy aerospace fighters and tanks? Are those common in merc companies?
>>
>>50085846
>tfw you're writing an AU and have already added six mackie factories, two of which have been running all through the succession wars
I should probably stop, shouldn't I?
>>
>>50085641
>>50085343
>>50085280
Ok, so I'm hearing the following pretty firmly:

FedSuns: Enforcer
Lyrans: Griffin
Dracs: Dragon or Panther (neither is a surprise)
Capellans: Vindicator
FWL: Trebuchet

Taurians: Thunderbolt
Magistracy: Shadow Hawk
Outworlds: Merlin
Marians: Centurion

RWR: Phoenix
ComStar: Crab

The Star League, Hegemony, and WoB seem pretty divided. Archer sounds ok for the Star League as does the Crab. While I love the Mackie, giving the Hegemony the Mackie for their "trooper" is blatantly unfair given what this is for (lol one faction gets an assault mech in the deathmatch, suck it nerds). WoB seems to have no consensus at all.
>>
>>50078834
NO! TASHA! IS PURE
>>
>>50085970
>WoB seems to have no consensus at all.
It's because the WoB had all these great TRO designs but when you see the mainline WoBM out on the field like in the Battlecorps short stories, most of them are still using old Comstar and TRO:3025 machines with the occasional Initiate or Toyama. Fancy stuff is mostly reserved for the Shadow Divisions and even they're driving salvaged clan tech half the time.
>>
>>50085846
>>50085967
Mackie?

Also tell me more about this AU, as someone who doesn't know dick.
>>
>>50086093
Well, what's their absolute most troopery trooper mech that they have at all. The Grim Reaper? The Initiate? The Crab?
>>
File: Mackie.png (147KB, 611x810px) Image search: [Google]
Mackie.png
147KB, 611x810px
>>50085949
>What kind of mechs do mercenary companies have?
From personal experience? The Unseen are big contenders. The Star League made them in carload lots (The reason NEA cites the Archer is because the SL made ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND OF THEM), and they're all solid dependable designs, Shad-2H excluded.

>Which mechs are faction-specific?
Not too many as such, everyone has at least one of some mechs. Though stuff like the Jenner, Panther, Dragon and Cyclops would be really rare outside of the DC for the first three, and rare in general for the Cyclops.

>What about other stuff like sexy aerospace fighters and tanks? Are those common in merc companies?
A decently well off Mercenary company should have at least a Flight (2 ASF) of fighters to protect your dropship, but they're expensive, and considering lawn dart rolls, I tend not to use my ASF for CAS duties. Tanks are... well frankly if you're a garrison merc unit you want tanks and infantry, if not, skip em. They're expensive to maintain, since that's extra payroll, and for quite a while infantry had no real answer to mechs.

>>50086117
>Mackie?
The very first BattleMech. Pic related. It starts off as the -5S, but almost every faction started off making the things, starting with the Terran Hegemony, and even as late as the Amaris War, (300 years after its introduction), the Mackie was serving, even if it was in militia units.
>>
>>50085949
Mercenaries tend to be behind the curve in terms of purchases, as new stuff produced by a faction goes to their own forces first, except for certain mechs produced in later (post-scarcity eras) which are sometimes designed explicitly for the mercenary market.

However, mercenaries fight, and the fact that salvaging a mech is relatively easy (assuming its ammo doesn't blow it to pieces) means that you can see all sorts of oddballs show up in merc outfits, including top of the line gear.

Mercs will often have vehicles, less often have aero. However, there's nothing stopping a merc group from specializing in these things, and some canon outfits do.
>>
>>50086144
Probably one of the WoB Phoenix machines like the Blakist Griffin. People forget how much old Viwhore had their fingers in everything.
>>
File: wilsons hussars.jpg (128KB, 510x781px) Image search: [Google]
wilsons hussars.jpg
128KB, 510x781px
>>50085949
>What kind of mechs do mercenary companies have

Like so many things in BT, "it depends". On one hand you have the scrapings of the barrel units like Wilson's Hussars circa 4th Succession War, with the most common 'Mechs in bad repair. On the other hand, you have big units like the Wolf's Dragoons who have units not seen in the Inner Sphere since Kerensky buggered off (like the Firefly).

On the gripping hand, there's a happy medium. In the 3025-3039-3050 era, you can't go wrong with having the quite common (unseen, recently reseen and Shimmyseen) ones. This means Battlemasters and Stalkers for assaults; Archers, Marauders, Warhammers, Crusaders and Thunderbolts for heavies; Griffins, Phoenix Hawks, Wolverines and Shadow Hawks for mediums; and Locusts, Stingers and Wasps for the lights.

This can be varied with other "ubiquitous" 'Mechs, such as Centurions (despite the FS bigging them up, they're Inner Sphere general), the Trebuchet, the Dervish and the like. Awesomes are popular and rightly so, because they're awesome. Panthers and Dragons captured by the Lyrans are often pawned off on mercenaries. The list goes on.
>>
File: Grim Reaper PR40.png (42KB, 650x964px) Image search: [Google]
Grim Reaper PR40.png
42KB, 650x964px
>>50086144
Not the heaviest throw weight around, but it's a cheap Jihad era C3i carrier. Customs ahoy.
>>
Does anyone have any idea what colour scheme Redjack Ryan's pirates used? Sarna and Camospecs have bugger all information.
>>
>>50085148
>>50085280
>>50085343
>>50085641
>>50085846
>>50085912

What's the definition of a trooper, though? It's not one of the 7 battlemech roles described in the Introbox. What keeps a Mackie from being a trooper, and what makes a Crab a better choice than the Archer? Is it just another case of "I know it when I see it"?
>>
>>50086904
Trooper means the general purpose mech with a mix of guns armor and speed that forms the backbone of a force. Usually a medium machine but not always. Like the Thunderbolt is a trooper.
>>
What's the absolute best Archer miniature?
>>
>>50086904
>Is it just another case of "I know it when I see it"?
Yeah basically. A trooper is an all-around line combat mech that specializes in nothing and generally has a variety of weapons to accomplish varied tasks. The prototypical trooper is the Vindicator.
>>
>>50086990
Palladium's :^)
>>
>>50086990
I have a soft spot for the Ral Partha second sculpt. Good size and detail, plus the weight of real metal.
>>
>>50086904

That's a fair question. And there isn't a good definition of a trooper, so you're correct in thinking there's a bit of, "I know it when I see it" going on in our respective Mech selections.

IMO, the things which define a trooper tend to be a combination of versatility, common-ness, and lack of another defining role. A Trooper should be able meaningfully respond - with some level of competence rather than finesse - almost any battlefield condition at a variety of ranges. A Trooper should be able to slot into almost** any lance type and be able to make a meaningful contribution. A Trooper should be easy enough to produce that it can be fielded in numbers (which is where the term "trooper" comes from; it can be used to fill out the ranks). A Trooper should not be best defined by another role, such as fast attack or assault.

>**There are some lance types which are so specialized that a trooper cannot make a contribution because it is inherently not a specialized unit itself. Those are mainly defined by extra-high speed movement profiles. But a trooper can make contributions to most other lances; a trooper can even be helpful in a dedicated fire support lance by performing bodyguard duties.

The reason I don't consider the Mackie to be a Trooper is because it's not common enough to fill out lines of battle. It's still an assault Mech, and even for Lyrans, having 6-8 Mackies in a company is a bit much, while having 6-8 Griffins is within the bounds of reason and sanity. To be honest, the Archer isn't really a Trooper either (being the quintessential fire-support mech and all), but it's so goddamn common that the SLDF kinda DID use it to fill out the ranks of their forces; whereas the Cappies would use a Vindicator or the Suns would use a Centurion to plug a hole in their TO&E (and guarantee some use out of the Mech design), by all accounts the SLDF did that with Archers. The Crab is a MUCH more "trooper-y" design...but it was horrifically uncommon.
>>
>>50086904
Bog-standard, average everything, decent in all situations but exceptional in none. Generally a 4/6 or 5/8 mover in the 45-65 ton range, 80%+ armor, and a mix of weapons that give it an ok but not great set of options at all ranges and in most situations.
>>
Woah, has anybody else actually flipped through the Republic Worlds pdf? There's more core world info in here than all the house books and touring the stars combined. I never even knew this thing existed before.
>>
>>50087176
Which one is that?
>>
>>50087176
Woah hold the fuck up, what's this book you're talking about?
>>
>>50087224
Looks like some rare old Wizkids Era Dark Age primer that got digitized a few years back. It's in the second OP folder, under Sourcebooks/DA.
>>
design question:aside from C3i, is there any particular weapons or items that immediately make a mech *feel* like a WoB machine?
>>
>>50087505
Retractable blades. Interface cockpits. Total madness.
>>
>>50087505
Until the Quasimodo, VSPLs.
>>
>>50074929

Huh. Would you look at that.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
>>
>>50085343
>>50085641
Not trying to start anything but I think the "by province" thing is kind of a meme. They all draw their water from the same well, so to speak. The smaller border province units are most likely to show any major differences due to salvage, and in that it's no different from units of other houses used as militia or reserve formations permanently on garrison.
>>
>>50087505
Weird gyros, small cockpits and snubbie PPCs
>>
>>50087839
Huh indeed. Many thanks to you, new mediafireanon.
>>
>>50087839
>J Blake
Kek
>>
>>50087839
Heroic
Ty
Ty
>>
File: I fucking love toasters!.jpg (1MB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
I fucking love toasters!.jpg
1MB, 1680x1050px
>>50087839
Praise be unto Blake!
>>
File: 1429396339260.jpg (54KB, 601x469px) Image search: [Google]
1429396339260.jpg
54KB, 601x469px
>>50087839
T O P G U N
O
P
G
U
N

PRAISE BLAKE
>>
>>50082498
>>50082777
>>50083394
AFAIK it's an archaic falconry/hawking term. I've run across it a couple of times in old manuscripts.
>>
>>50087270
They were articles on Wiz Kids website, I think. Catalyst compiled and posted a bunch of that stuff when the Dark Age site closed down.
>>
FWL-AU/Andurien Ranger anon here, so I started my groups new subcampaign today and took to heart some of /btg/'s advice in 'Mech selection for our lance.

Unfortunately mine was the question that launched the fierce Grasshopper/Cyclops debate a few threads back, and reading further into it I decided that both in the lance would be too much. We kept the Grasshopper, Quickdraw and Cicada, and I opted for a Banshee as my command ride. Went with the -5S version since it was produced in 3053 and decided it was salvage from the Operation Guerrero war. One of its PPCs is a bit buggy and the lance leader is thinking of swapping it out for an ER large laser, and the unit is still having problems getting gauss rounds ordered in sufficient quantities, but it'll do.

It'll be good to have the Rangers rolling out again, this time with a rumored tour along the Lyran border.
>>
>>50087533
>>50087610
>>50087867
Alright, thanks boys. Time to get to work on that WoB mackie

On a similar note, are there any similar markers for RoTS designs?
>>
>>50088460
I don't know what I expected.
As for RoTS, I think they like RACs?
>>
>>50088460
Retractable blade Mackie.
This must happen, hidden swords and dick guns. Fuck yea.
>>
>>50088437
>rumored tour along the Lyran border
Cavenaugh Theater best theater. You better raid Timbiqui,
>>
Gentlemen, how could the WoB have been better?

I'm thinking about running a Jihad campaign, and frankly the WoB ain't that scary on the table unless they drop a nuke. I'm looking for some way to make them scary without killing all of my players for lulz.
>>
>>50088460
>are there any similar markers for RoTS designs?
XXLs. Blakist leftovers. Armored components. Weird IS and armor types. Y'know, dark age shit
>>
>>50088531

Use all the cyberware. Elite pilots (2/3) with an inherent -3/-3 on top of that can get really scary, really quick. Combine that with special pilot abilities for everyone driving a Celestial and your players will start running away from WOB like God and the Master intended.

BLAKE VULT

>note: players will NEVER be "scared" unless you kill their characters
>>
>>50088531
They have great stuff, just not if you balance by BV. They're like clanners that way. Frontline omnis are junk in equal BV vs Grogtech because of the armor difference and the omni tax. Then the pilot differential. It's the same with the Handy Dummies. Omnis and pilot tax.

So what you need to do is start doing things that are unfair BV wise and start pulling out a few of the vaunted rare tech weapons like a lance of Gibson LAM's with Clan ERPPCs. That will put the fear of Blake into them.
>>
>>50087505
MMLs
VSPLs
LFEs, to an extent
Light Ferro
>>
>>50088531
God I just love the WoB. It was exactly what BT needed fluff wise. I really hope they come back. Blakist ComStar being killed off instantly was a crushing blow.
>>
>>50088631
>the Handy Dummies

u wot m8
>>
>>50088460

>On a similar note, are there any similar markers for RoTS designs?

Clan tech, RISC tech, PPCs, and ECM.

>>50088531

Use Manei Domini with implants. They're fucking terrifying. Alternatively, make the scary part what they're trying to do, with the PC unit the only one who can stop them from committing genocide. Plus or minus WoB being done up as the playing group to give them a bad name and start more shit.
>>
>>50088665
Just what my local group calls the Manei Domini. Or when they lose to Stoners, thehand jobbies
>>
>>50088631
>and the omni tax
Omnis don't have a BV tax, only a C-bill tax. It's the 4 piloting (gunnery increases generally being BV-fair) that really inflates the BV.
>>
>>50088520
Might be in the works. It's in the aftermath of Marshall Brett's conquest of Arcadia during the FCCW, and the FWLM may use it as a base for probing actions. Liberating some Timbiqui Dark is always a possibility.
>>
>>50085068
Pic related will annoy me forever because the execs killed the show AT THE BEGINNING OF THE FINAL ARC. What, they couldn't give it 5 or 10 more episodes? Really?
>>
>>50087839
the third transfer is now complete
thanks for doing this, anon

next OP, please remove https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9q792hobnbpw3/Battletech from the post
>>
so i'm curious, what;s the battletech timeline like now? Also what the dcks is the canonical status of the dark age era?
>>
>>50088437
>dropping an ER PPC for an ER larger laser
I don't get you plague pigeons...
>>
File: War.gif (1MB, 400x316px) Image search: [Google]
War.gif
1MB, 400x316px
>>50090500
Republic of Sphere went full BUILD WALL
>>
>>50090500
>the canonical status of the dark age era

100% canon. It's five years after the last DA novel right now. The Wall has come down, Stone is back, the Wolves own Stewart and Solaris and everything is a giant war torn mess like always. Welcome to the Inner Sphere.
>>
>>50090664
and Natasha Kerensky's gene baby fucked a beaner
>>
File: BUTWAIT.jpg (28KB, 299x384px) Image search: [Google]
BUTWAIT.jpg
28KB, 299x384px
>>50087882
>>50087923
>>50087963
>>50088113
>>50088116
>>50090313

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

So, what I tried to do was organize things a little better. Put in a few more sub-folders, and tried to get the filenames into some semblance of order. Also threw in some wallpapers from the kickstarter rewards for the HBS BT game for you guys. I made the archives so A) if people want the files they don't have to pick at them piecemeal, and B) in the event that I stop hosting them, it makes it easier for someone else to take over (no one needs to slog through 2 hours of d/l'ing individual files). The only thing is that I can't really guarantee I'll be able to keep up on any new content that's released, unless other anons link it here or in the IRC channel. Also, if you notice something missing, please let me know, and I'll try to fill the gap. I'll try to keep the files updated weekly and the archives monthly. Cheers.
>>
>>50090664
how's ghost bear/rassalhague dominion going?
>>
>>50091431
Perfectly, as always
>>
>>50091431
Still winning at everything forever, and being portrayed as niceguy heroes even while they space thousands of civilians.

I hope the Taintsnakes get them first in Revival 2.
>>
File: castellan_vs_archer_medium.jpg (57KB, 500x308px) Image search: [Google]
castellan_vs_archer_medium.jpg
57KB, 500x308px
>>50086990
>What's the absolute best Archer miniature?

The one on the left.
>>
>>50091107

Are the map sets there?
>>
>new Mediafire has the cartoon
[INFORMATION IS AMMUNITION INTENSIFIES]
>>
>>50091698

Not yet, I'm still parsing through the other mediafire dump trying to figure out what I didn't have. I'll have it up there by tomorrow at the latest.
>>
>>50091069
Wait what?
>>
>>50088531
Make a random NPC unit in the player's force be a secret WoB plant who turns traitor the first time it declares weapons fire.

Once that unit is dead, in later games have someone in their technical pool be a WoB plant with a chance of sabotaging components before any fight against the WoB.
>>
File: locust_trio.jpg (78KB, 800x228px) Image search: [Google]
locust_trio.jpg
78KB, 800x228px
>>
>>50093581
nah, do it the other way around. Preferably, have the WoB Mechwarrior or whatever be positioned to take advantage of the flaw the sabotage created. So if your guy has to deal with sabotaged MPL targeting, the WoB agent is in a Spider two hexes away.
>>
>>50093581
>>50093892

Nah, this is the most excellent time to use the 3072 traitor rules. Have one of the PC's get captured and then his buddies go on a rescue mission to get him back. They're successful, but that was all part of the master plan. Insert handler and WoB shenanigans here.

You can go anywhere from Fritz Donner to full Aris Sung.
>>
XotlPrime, Xotl, Xotl, and I have wondered where you went. We must all be Xotl together. Be one with Xotl.
>>
>>50093593
that's a surprisingly high survival rate for a trio of locusts
>>
>>50094324
I generally find them to be the most survivable of the bugs due to their speed.
>>
>>50088531
Honestly, just have them create pretty uncomfortable situations. The party goes to engage a Word Level and they find them rampaging through a busy open market. The party gets attacked by friendlies, turns out the Word of Blake is disguised as the party and is currently massacring civilians a town over. Blakist human shields etc.
>>
File: locust&dragon.jpg (75KB, 800x240px) Image search: [Google]
locust&dragon.jpg
75KB, 800x240px
>>50094324
>that's a surprisingly high survival rate for a trio of locusts

Crunch all you want. They're easy to draw.
>>
>>50094171
Ride or die, remember_
>>
>>50093593
>>50094586
Man, I love these drawings you keep posting.
>>
>>50091107
Is there anything anybody is missing among the collection that's not uploaded? I might have a copy in one of my stashes.
>>
>>50094349
Outside the 1M, they're also well armored for their size. In open ground I'd would usually take a Locust 1V over Stinger 3R.
>>
File: MysteryMech.jpg (622KB, 1909x1710px) Image search: [Google]
MysteryMech.jpg
622KB, 1909x1710px
Have fun figuring out what the fuck the stats of this thing are!
>>
>>50095074

Given that I have nothing to reference for scale, I'm gonna say 45 2 SRMs, a UAC/5, and an ER LL, and it's actually as big as a Vindi. :^)
>>
>>50095170
*45 tons, 2 SRM2s, etc.
>>
>>50095074
it's like the hunchbacks more autistic cousin

I want a whole reinforced regiment
>>
>>50095074
4 MECH TASERS
>>
Oi, Muninn, go check your email for TRO stuffs.
>>
>>50095074
Looks like it's packing 4XLPPC, 1PlasRif, 1... ERLL?

Looks to be on the heavy end of things Not 75, but somewhere between 60 and 70...

I also feel like it needs more foot. Those stubs for feet look too back-canted to be under the center of balance, so it'd need more foot to help it stay upright. That's not to say that Battletech doesn't suffer from more than a few WTF legs in the cannon, but if it's not finalized, it needs that fix.
>>
Theoretically, if one was to want to post BT fiction, would that be stuff people would be interested in?
>>
>>50095590

The last time that happened it was a lewds contest that got...slightly...out of hand. So go for it; it can't go much worse than it already has.

Shit, it can't get much worse than actual canon, for that matter. The lewd writing was better than actual canon writing, so you should be fine.
>>
>>50095590
Bring back MEQ
>>
>>50095619

No lewds, I swear to Focht.
>>
>>50095590
Myself, I've skipped anything Battlecorps that wasn't put into a compilation - and that's official fiction.

Battletech comics though... that's something I'd like to see.
>>
Does /btg/ care about battletech vidya? Mechwarrior Living Legends, the Crysis mod, just got its first update in like four years.

go download this shit, its fun as fuck.
https://clanjadewolf.net/mwll/
>>
>>50095654

Speaking of which. MFA here, I noticed a bunch of Battlecorps stories were missing chapters. Anyone know where I could get the missing ones to fill the gaps?
>>
>>50095683
Battletech Vidya, Fuck yes.

Multiplayer games? No. Don't like multiplayer in general, and with the min-maxy nature of everyone online, it's even worse when playing something Battletech related with customization, though I lament that I was too young and my father's internet too garbage to have tried Multiplayer Battletech 3025 - not being so prone to min/maxing by ditching the customization system might have made for an OK time.

MWO, I'm resentfully playing in the vain hope that something good will happen, though I can only tolerate about three matches before I say "Fuck this game"

MW:LL might offer planes, trains, and automobiles, but by not offering a single player campaign or somehow working some sort of story in there - the only part of Mechwarrior games I want to play - I just can't get interested.

HBS Battletech however - they were planning the game right way. Single player first. Multiplayer was the last goal. I did kickstart it, and needless to say, anyone playing will be unfortunate enough to have to stare at my ugly mug.
>>
>>50095788
MWLL doesn't have a mechlab, so at least that aspect you seem to dislike isn't present.
>>
>>50095788

I think that was what really drew me into the old Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries. Good campaign, solid story (from what I remember), and pretty robust multiplayer, which combined with the MekTek expansions was amazing.
>>
>>50095074
Quad TSEMP, Plasma Rifle, Gauss Rifle, CT Snubbie. 3/5/0, 95 tons.
>>
>>50095848
And only 3,365 BV...

I actually thought it would be higher before putting it together in SSW.
>>
>>50095826
See, I was playing PC games from before the age of online, and there was never "Two player" outside of two kids awkwardly using the same keyboard for One Must Fall. Whether I was playing X-Wing, Descent, Mechwarrior 2, Dark Forces... There was always that end goal to work towards, and even if it was simple, a simple story to tie it all together and make it feel like you were playing for a reason.

I got that from Mechwarriors 1 through 4, both Mech Commander games, and the Crescent Hawks games... They all were rich and entertaining single-player experiences.

...and since that point everyone and their mother has told me that - although everything else leading up to this point has been a story-driven single player title, that I'm fucking wrong to want to continue that tradition, and everyone would rather run in a hamster wheel without purpose so long as the ride never ends. That AI is somehow impossibly difficult to program... that everyone skipped single player and went right into "deathmatch".

Needless to say, when the MWO atlas mosaic was being descrambled and idiots were still saying "It's an ARCHER!", that last little descramble block that revealed the "online" under it nearly made me puke in my mouth. The reason to play Mechwarrior - the immersiveness - was dead on arrival.
>>
>>50095848
>>50095931
>Using TSEMP
Why bother? The BV bloat is immense compared to their actual usefulness
>>
>>50095980
>Crescent Hawks

Act I: Jason Youngblood Plays the Stock Market

Remember, Nashan Diversified is the low yield but safe stock.
>>
File: 1465172010368.jpg (57KB, 606x563px) Image search: [Google]
1465172010368.jpg
57KB, 606x563px
>>50096015
That's the joke you fffffffffucking idiot
>>
>>50095848
>>50095931
>>50096015
Gentlemen, how do we fix TSEMP?
>>
>>50095980
Chill out, granpa, you can still play those old games.
>>
>>50096086
Make it cost less heat, basically. And drop the BV a little. 8 heat would be okay, I think.
>>
>>50096086

It's an item that kind of has to be overpriced.

If it works properly you're killing the 'Mech the following turn. If it just hits, you've fucked them up pretty badly the following turn.

Undercost it and any semblance of balance is completely gone.
>>
>>50096268
>If it just hits, you've fucked them up pretty badly the following turn.
Even if it does hit, TSEMP doesn't do shit unless you roll 7+ on the effects table.
>>
>>50096104
If I can get them to run
...but like any great movie, you watch it too many times, and it starts to get stale.
I've had close to 15 years of stale.
>>
>>50096437

Have you tried the fan-made MechCommander 2 campaigns? Or MechCommander Omnitech?
>>
>>50096378
Well, to be fair, 7 is the easiest number to roll on 2d6, so...
>>
File: 1309988368208.jpg (26KB, 341x268px) Image search: [Google]
1309988368208.jpg
26KB, 341x268px
>>50096460
>fan-made MechCommander 2 campaigns?
>Or MechCommander Omnitech?
Keep Talking
>>
File: 1367753966506562151.gif (2MB, 636x306px) Image search: [Google]
1367753966506562151.gif
2MB, 636x306px
>>50096469

MC2 has two variations of fan-made content: mods for the regular game (found here: http://www.sarna.net/files/programs/games/mechcommander_2/mods/), and MechCommander Omnitech (http://www.moddb.com/mods/mechcommander-omnitech), which is a standalone product made using the MC2 source code. I haven't tried Omnitech yet, but it was recommended by a friend, so that says a bit to me. For the MC2 mods, it's been a long time, but I remember playing either the Magic Sun expansion or Wolfman's Missions (could be one and the same, it's been yeeeeeaars). Either way, there was a basic story, but the missions themselves were legitimately challenging. Like, MC2 was reasonably easy if you weren't retarded - the fan-made expansion made you get by by the skin of your teeth. It was some good fun.
>>
File: 1272955868582.jpg (152KB, 611x447px) Image search: [Google]
1272955868582.jpg
152KB, 611x447px
>>50096545
It's a damned shame nobody ever made a version of Mechwarrior 4 Vengeance where they tweaked the campaign to include Mektek mechs... and then replaced the excessive amount of clantech and inaccurate mech choices with stuff you'd actually see in the FedCom.

Or Mechwarrior 4 campaigns.

...but this... this will do. MC2 had a nice story and interesting characters. If these mods get anywhere near 10% as good, it'll be a breath of fresh air. Thank you for pointing it out. I knew MC2 went free, but graphics issues kept me from playing it frequently. Apparently Omnitech has patched it for Windows 10. Looks like I've got something to do this weekend.
>>
>>50096606

That stuff was basically cannonised by FM: U though.
>>
>>50095826
>Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries

Does anyone knows how to run it in Windows 8.1? Menu is just glictched up mess.
>>
File: St Ives.png (767KB, 1098x738px) Image search: [Google]
St Ives.png
767KB, 1098x738px
Anyone else miss the St. Ives Compact?
>>
>>50097586
I've always had a soft spot for them, mostly due to the St. Ives Lancers.
>>
I remember someone making a chart of the most efficient use of reinforced internals. Can someone repost it?
>>
File: Piranha_3058U[1].png (86KB, 523x813px) Image search: [Google]
Piranha_3058U[1].png
86KB, 523x813px
Not sure if you're still around, original MF anon, but so long, and thanks for all the fish!
>>
>>50084950

I agree. Good lights tend to be more specialized and faster. So you use them differently than you do other mechs. Whereas a medium is usually used like a smaller, simpler heavy.
>>
File: WarriorHouseHiritsu.jpg (637KB, 2511x1116px) Image search: [Google]
WarriorHouseHiritsu.jpg
637KB, 2511x1116px
>>50083321
Endless Ti-Ts'angs please.
I love that thing goddamn.
>>
>>50098018
In my tabletop games I'm starting to move away from lights a bit. My local competition seems to want to use higher-gunnery mechwarriors rather than the standard 4/5, and that scales to reduce the effectiveness of TMMs, and increase the effectiveness of armor.

Last game I played, I ran a Bushwacker (Yes, I know, not a light) in a straight line and had a +3 TMM protecting me... and before I made it to the new cover I was moving to, I'd been reduced to no armor on most locations and one internal on a side torso. Against 4/5s, I probably would have been much better off.
>>
File: 1447469263086.png (49KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
1447469263086.png
49KB, 500x501px
>>50079462
Hey, I fixed that image, please replace your broken ERPPC with this repaired version
>>
What are some assault mechs that wouldn't be out of place in a FWLM force?
Like common ones reasonable to find even if they don't build them (I think the Atlas is considered a general mech)

I know they build the Awesome, BattleMaster, Stalker and Goliath so those are their standbys.
>>
Pg 9 new thread when?
>>
>>50098231

Wait till someone reads some real-life combined arms tactics and then comes into your game with a conventional vehicle/infantry force. Even in BT rules they can kick some serious ass if used competently.

That's even without resorting to spamming Ferrets with RLs and savannah masters. Deck of cards, man.
>>
>>50095619
When was this? Was it documented?
>>
New thread:
>>50099791
>>50099791
>>50099791
>>
>>50098152
That's a mech I've been meaning to field but never really had an opportunity to. What's the most effective way to run it?
>>
>>50097934
What the fuck was that.
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.