[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some of the best systems for running a HORROR-THEMED

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Dead before you can blink.gif (4MB, 334x180px) Image search: [Google]
Dead before you can blink.gif
4MB, 334x180px
What are some of the best systems for running a HORROR-THEMED game?

Preferably light on rules, and with roll20 support in terms of sheets and the like. I'm running this for some of my online buddies, so I can't use any systems that require physical aspects in the game.
>>
Don't listen to the faggot who will recommend Dread, it's a bad game, overpriced as shit, and requires you to buy some special Jenga tower to play it.

Also, Call of Cthulu is shit. It's as complicated as GURPS for no good reason and it's mostly a horrible game with shit like Size stats and crap. Delta Green is no better, it's just a re-stirring of the same shit heap that is the reason most people use other systems to play CoC style campaigns.

OP, what you want is Dungeon World. Dungeon World can do basically anything, and one of the places it excels is in horror gaming. You see, in Dungeon World, any roll you make has consequences. This is as opposed to most RPGs where failure means nothing. In fact more and more RPGs are switching to the Dungeon World system because they understand this flaw has been part of RPGs for many years.

Basically there is partial success and when you fail in Dungeon World you don't just fail, things get worse. This is perfect for a horror game. I suggest you visit www.dungeonworld.com to familiarize yourself with the basic mechanics via the SRD.

TLDR Play Dungeon World. It gets maligned a lot on this subreddit but it is overall one of the best RPGs out there.
>>
>>50073876
>It gets maligned a lot on this subreddit
You see, you went to far with this line. Now we know you're just putting out some bait.
>>
File: 1455405053981.jpg (25KB, 320x304px) Image search: [Google]
1455405053981.jpg
25KB, 320x304px
>>50073876
>>
>>50073922
Sorry, I usually browse /r/rpg. I am here to answer any questions you may have about Dungeon World.
>>
>>50073876
>on this subreddit

You can go right the back there, you scumbucket
>>
>>50073876
Jesus christ Its been a long time since Ive seen a post that could easily be a real shill
>>
>>50073808
First rule is ignore the shill
>>50073876
Second is think about what kind of HORROR you wanna convey, if you want horror that focuses on being scary via fluff and dont want mechanics getting too much in the way then something like FATE might be good.

If you want something thats scary via Mechanics, by which I mean, "YOU ARE A MERE MORTAL AND EVERYTHING WILL FUCK YOUR SHIT UP" then Call of cthulu or maybe dark heresy is a good idea, played in quite a few dark heresy horror themed campaigns and its always fun
>>
>>50073808
Ten Candles. Fun, Light, and a better version of dread.
>>
>>50074352
Tell me more.
>>
>>50073808
Despite what the shill says, try dread. It's works really well for short games.

A friend of mine ran a repeated game of it, with the same basic premise, but changed the threat each time. Never the same thing twice.
Hell, he expanded the rules slightly to include a tarot deck, so rather than just dying if you knock the tower over, you get a Lingering curse that will fuck you over. And could even be something physical like bound hands or a blindfold, which obviously made drawing from the tower harder. It made for one hell of a game.
>>
>>50074439
It's gotta be something for online, buddy.
No physical elements.
>>
>>50074307
>>50074244
>>50074179
> dismissing a good recommendation as a shill

I'm sorry, but you absolutely need to fuck off right now. First of all, you have NO idea what you are talking about. Dungeon World is excellently designed for all aspects of RPGs, that is part of why it has been OVERWHELMINGLY popular in the RPG community. Yes, /r/rpg has been a big part of that. Can I change it? No. In fact, I think it's a good thing.

Dungeon World has fast easy to use mechanics and is perfect for beginners, it's a lot cheaper than most of these other rules bloated systems that cost fifty dollars. There is no reason for extra rules when it is he role playing that matters. Dungeon World is fast and innovative and still feels exactly like the spirit of ADND before DnD 3.5 destroyed the hobby and ruined a generation of role players.

You want fast, intuitive combat? Dungeon World does that.

You want real, deep roleplaying mechanics? Dungeon World does that.

You want great mechanics that reward diversity of play? Dungeon World does that as well.

My last session of Dungeon World my human fighter wrapped a vampire in a bear hug and wrestled him out a window. This is real roleplaying we are talking about here, not babby 3.5 shit. Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of Dungeon World today, it is an evolution and perfection of the half-formed ideas in Apocalypse World (the game it is derived from)
>>
Horror is generally less dependant on system, and more dependant on player willingness and GM skill. It's honestly kind of a bitch to pull off actual scary rp. The only real limiting factor is PC agency and power, which is generally anathema to creating fear. If you can fuck off or kill whatever is scary, then it's not that scary.
>>
Trail of Cthulhu is a good rules light game based on gumshoe.

Really simple and gets stale after a while but great for a few one shots.
>>
>>50073876
god damn this guy is either /tg/'s greatest troll or greatest faggot, he might be both.

Anyway >>50073808

you need to get yourself some of that savage worlds. Add in Actung Cthulhu's sanity system if thats your vibe, adds a level of leathality to the game that helps keep players nervous.
Quick and easy to play, savage has always been my go to rules light game.
>>
>>50074392
Game is played in a pitch back room with ten lit candles, some note paper, and 10d6, You roll d6 equal to the amount of lit candles. You need atleast 1 die to roll 5-6 to pass any check. Any 1s are removed and become the GMs dice pool (any die he rolls a success on cancels one die you succeed on). Once the players run out of dice to roll, they put out a candle, the room gets darker, and they get a new d6 pool equal to lit candles. Game keeps going until you run out of dice or everyone dies.

Player each get 4 cards to write on that make up their character sheet, something they're afraid of, something they'd die for, something they don't want anybody to know. These cards are put in a certain order, and can be burned at anytime for different bonuses (each card burned does a different thing). Burning the last card is a last stand do or die kinda thing.

Game assumes everyone dies at the end and is a depressing story about how everyone is withered down. I thought I had a pdf but apparently I do not.
>>
>>50073808
Any game works so long as you instill some sense of helplessness in your players.

As an example, I ran a D&D 5E horror game once. I realized, rightly, that my PCs were too powerful (and too loaded with healing items) to die. So, I set them into a situation where success hinged entirely on keeping a bunch of likeable NPCs alive and safe from Paranormal/Exorcist-tier supernatural harm.

Hint: Everyone died, the PCs failed utterly, and a lot of good, innocent people who were just minding their business ended up dead or worse due to the PCs fucking up their investigation. The fact that the PCs and the Players blamed themselves for missing the obvious clues was icing.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.